Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#15151 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 00:25

Picture of the crowd during the minute of silence (bbc coverage)

Posted Image

Now look at that. Thousand of a-holes not taking their hats of. :blush:

Advertisement

#15152 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 00:43

About the hat ,there is very simple explanation for me. He was giving interview for RTL just seconds before this tribute. And he was in a hurry maybe for the tribute. I even think he was little late there and he just forgot the hat in the first moment. Maybe seconds latter he take the hat off? But, why not to blow this out of proportion. Mastah , who else. If he was not respectful, why he was there?
Posted Image

That's plausible explanation. Thanks.

#15153 genespleen

genespleen

• 341 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:48

I'm glad it was picked up by some media:

http://www.blick.ch/...etaetlos-185756

Lack of respect deserves lack of respect too :down:. Classless **** :down:.

How sad it is that gotcha politics has colonised discussions of sporting figures. The world does not revolve around whether MS shows proper "respect" for the deceased at a photo-op for the camera feed.

It is not an indication of character (would you like your character assessed based upon such selective moments?).
It is not an indication of callousness. Anyone who has followed F1 with more than a fleeting interest would know that MS is extraordinarily reticent about piously emoting for the cameras.

Shame on you, for using tragedies for personal vendetta.

#15154 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:23

How many millions has "classless" donated to charity?

Probably more than the rest of them added up.

#15155 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 1,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:24

Mastahs post is 100% flame bait ...If he is going to stoop to the level of calling someone a classless **** for not taking his cap off for a MOMENT OF SILENCE then its only a matter of time until he looks in the mirror..

If you like a driver no problem. If you don't like a driver .. no problem.

All you need to do however is to stay classy about it.

#15156 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:46

Superb 18 minute interview with Indian channel:

#15157 schumi'snake

schumi'snake

• 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:03

michael looks really Humble and brilliant there~~~

Edited by schumi'snake, 01 November 2011 - 07:06.

#15158 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,499 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:08

How many millions has "classless" donated to charity?

Probably more than the rest of them added up.

To be fair, Schumi is quite a few orders of magnitude richer than the other drivers on the grid. Wasn't he the highest paid athlete in the world for a while?

#15159 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,909 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:23

To be fair, Schumi is quite a few orders of magnitude richer than the other drivers on the grid. Wasn't he the highest paid athlete in the world for a while?

It's not like the rest of them are paupers or would become paupers if they donated money to charity.

Raikonnen and Alonso were paid $100,000 a DAY at Ferrari. Many of them are well into 8 figure salaries as well.

Advertisement

#15160 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:45

Whats that got to do with your attitude towards helping others? He doesn't just hand out money, he gets fully involved and makes demands on what the money is actually used for.

#15161 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:45

Posted Image

Wow, what a lot of classless ***** :down:

Funny that Mastah has vanished since his trolltastic claim has been comehensively dismantled. It's no wonder this place has so many bitchfests when you you can just flame bait and run. :well:

#15162 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:10

Funny that Mastah has vanished since his trolltastic claim has been comehensively dismantled.

It was a surprising post, if someone called MS "a dirty driver IMO" he might refer to and give a view on historical incidents but who's to know Schumacher's spiritual/religious beliefs (or not) and who's to say how he should act - certainly no one here.

#15163 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:22

I am hoping that we are done with it then.

It has occured to me this morning - does anyone knows if there is a deadline when MGP will announced 2013 lineup? I am hoping they are not going to keep us in suspence until Dec 2012. If the car development is moving forward well, I wish that Michael will be invited, and he accepts to stay on board for 2013 as well. The man has spank in him, and last races just proving that faith in him as a driver by his old fans was not misplaced.

#15164 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:32

Great stuff. He's always been a humble, down to earth man, anyone that has actually met and spoken to him would know this. People just assume he's arrogant because of the smirk (even Rubens has one!) and the way he ignores the media sometimes.

#15165 scarletf12002

scarletf12002

• 77 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:37

Really nice interview! Is it me or does he seem a lot more relaxed with foreign journos than brit ones? E.g. still seems very in guard on beeb apart from with pit lady..

#15166 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:48

One minute silence they held for the earthquake and tsunami in Japan...

Posted Image

Look at all those unrespectfull a**holes with the hats on, but let me guess... This was a totally different situation.

Yes, they were classless ***** human beings too. Look at a guy who took his cap off, Jenson Button, intelligent person. Now, who didn't? Buemi, Glock, d'Ambrosio, Petrov, Alguersuari, Scumacher, Kobayasi and Sutil. All either young, let's say not very wise or just classless.

As for sunglasses.. you often see people at funerals wearing them to hide their eyes or tears.. nothing disprectful there.

I haven't said anything about sunglasses, but it would be welcome to take it off too (I remember Jake told DC the same, and that was during unimportant blah blah blah moment after the race).

This isn't 1960..1970.. or even 1980's...

Yes, unfortunately good manners are slowly vanishing :well:.

http://www.pictureup...9_Unbenannt.jpg

Yes, thousands of people who don't know how to behave.

Edited by Mastah, 01 November 2011 - 10:52.

#15167 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,235 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:04

Really nice interview! Is it me or does he seem a lot more relaxed with foreign journos than brit ones? E.g. still seems very in guard on beeb apart from with pit lady..

That lady in the interview is awesome. Very prepared and relaxed and cheerful. Well done to her. Schumacher seemed to like her.

Edited by ali.unal, 01 November 2011 - 11:05.

#15168 baddog

baddog

• 23,255 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:11

That lady in the interview is awesome. Very prepared and relaxed and cheerful. Well done to her. Schumacher seemed to like her.

Yeah you get so used to a complete lack of professionalism in media that when you do encounter the real thing it is a shock!

#15169 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:14

Yes, I too was suprised by how easy (rather than confrontational) interview it was. Woman was quite well prepared, and controlled conversation at the level she wanted. :up:

Edited by Sakae, 01 November 2011 - 11:15.

#15170 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:57

1st lap position gains (after India):

1. MS /42/
2. Buemi /31/
3. Kovalainen /28/
4. Kobayashi /23/
5. Trulli,Heidfeld,Glock /21/

#15171 scynaz

scynaz

• 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 13:08

Well he has been more relaxed since his return, but foreign journalists are much less likely to bring up the same handful of past incidents, which the British especially tend to from having an axe to grind rather than any actual interest in hearing his views.

Live F1 in many parts of Asia became popular from the early nineties, so the years when the sport first became popular in India were Schumacher's best fighting years from around 94-95 to 2000. For those whose introduction to the sport was that era, it's difficult to not have respect for Schumacher. Everyone knows of course that he is a controversial figure, but that is tempered with genuine respect and admiration for his driving, his achievements aren't downplayed and disparaged constantly the way they are in the British press.

Yes, thousands of people who don't know how to behave.

You're probably just trolling but for anyone else who may be interested, a bit of cultural perspective: it is not customary in India to remove headgear to show respect, an example.

That aside very few in India would have heard about Dan Wheldon and Simonelli or would have had any idea what was happening with the minute of silence.

#15172 holiday

holiday

• 3,470 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 13:14

You're probably just trolling but for anyone else who may be interested, a bit of cultural perspective: it is not customary in India to remove headgear to show respect,

However, it is in Germany (wearing sunglasses on these occasions is also somewhat frowned upon), but the story is blown totally out of proportion. MS just seems to have forgotten, that's all to it. No need to become anal over it.

#15173 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 13:16

You're probably just trolling but for anyone else who may be interested, a bit of cultural perspective: it is not customary in India to remove headgear to show respect, an example.

That aside very few in India would have heard about Dan Wheldon and Simonelli or would have had any idea what was happening with the minute of silence.

its customary to have a minute of silence....

which to most people means you stop what your doing and stand still without talking for a minute..

taking your hat off to someone is an entirely different sign of respect go and read about the phrase "i take mty hat off to you"

#15174 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 13:47

I think that may be correct. But I don't see too many others dipping into their own pockets. Bernie should be at the front of the line.

#15175 flowerdew

flowerdew

• 289 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 14:19

Still, the amounts he's donated are staggering. For a while, his donation after the Indian Ocean tsunami was pretty much the only thing I knew about Formula 1; I remember comparing what that racing guy gave to the donations of entire nations. My racing-ignorant family and friends all thought he was a total class act.

#15176 scynaz

scynaz

• 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 14:40

its customary to have a minute of silence....

which to most people means you stop what your doing and stand still without talking for a minute..

My point was very few would have any idea there was a minute of silence being held.

And hard as it may be for you to comprehend, the world doesn't revolve around european and american motorsport. Such forced scripted unspontaneous public gestures are meaningless anyway, and really, of all the injustice in the world, this is the thing you chose to be offended about? My we do have our priorities straight don't we.

taking your hat off to someone is an entirely different sign of respect go and read about the phrase "i take mty hat off to you"

:rolleyes: Yes, a sign or respect for people generally reserved for who aren't rude, condescending, and arrogant as you are :wave:
I went and read about another gesture instead, one involving a finger, rather centrally located, it was rather instructive..

#15177 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 14:41

And hard as it may be for you to comprehend, the world doesn't revolve around european and american motorsport. Such forced scripted unspontaneous public gestures are meaningless anyway, and really, of all the injustice in the world, this is the thing you chose to be offended about? My we do have our priorities straight don't we.

:up:

#15178 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 14:46

I went and read about another gesture instead, one involving a finger, rather centrally located, it was rather instructive..

aye that bloody vettel and the finger :smoking:

#15179 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,218 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 14:47

No, it's not. That phrase is congratulatory to show admiration or respect. Hats are typically removed when people enter a Christian church, attend funerals or simply pray. Many churches will have a sign on the door advising people to remove headgear even as paid visitors. If memory serves, you'll find this on the door of St Peter's Basilica in Vatican City, although interestingly there is a German fellow who doesn't comply... ;)

I don't agree with mastah that it is specifically a sign of disrespect to forget though, as the other examples show, just unfortunate that there appears to be only one driver in that particular picture who did so.

Advertisement

#15180 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 14:52

Still, the amounts he's donated are staggering. For a while, his donation after the Indian Ocean tsunami was pretty much the only thing I knew about Formula 1; I remember comparing what that racing guy gave to the donations of entire nations. My racing-ignorant family and friends all thought he was a total class act.

Some people love pointing out MS' perceived bad points, yet flatly refuse to acknowledge facts such as this. They equally choose to ignore the numerous reports by people who actually know him regarding what a nice chap he is. I don't doubt that he's got his character flaws, but I do doubt they're any more plentiful than most people's.

#15181 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 14:57

No, it's not. That phrase is congratulatory to show admiration or respect. Hats are typically removed when people enter a Christian church, attend funerals or simply pray. Many churches will have a sign on the door advising people to remove headgear even as paid visitors. If memory serves, you'll find this on the door of St Peter's Basilica in Vatican City, although interestingly there is a German fellow who doesn't comply...;)

I don't agree with mastah that it is specifically a sign of disrespect to forget though, as the other examples show, just unfortunate that there appears to be only one driver in that particular picture who did so.

seems riciculous to me either way.

then again some people would claim this is a lack of respect
Posted Image

although the relatives of the deceased probably dont

Edited by arknor, 01 November 2011 - 14:58.

#15182 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:12

1st lap position gains (after India):

1. MS /42/
2. Buemi /31/
3. Kovalainen /28/
4. Kobayashi /23/
5. Trulli,Heidfeld,Glock /21/

:rotfl:

That only means MS is a poor qualifyer.

Assuming Vettel overtook 0 cars starting from pole, that means Seb is a bad driver :lol:

It's very easy to climb the field with the most powerful engine + KERS + DRS. :wave:

#15183 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,685 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:20

Assuming Vettel overtook 0 cars starting from pole, that means Seb is a bad driver :lol:

It's very easy to climb the field with the most powerful engine + KERS + DRS. :wave:

DRS on the first lap? :wave:

#15184 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:22

Yeah, especially with drs...as it is allowed immediately after the start... :lol:

#15185 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,218 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:29

seems riciculous to me either way.

To me also, but I acknowledge that to some with more Catholic views it looks quite poor. It might be more reasonable to say that they should not be imposing their own values on Schumacher.

#15186 holiday

holiday

• 3,470 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:30

Posted Image

We can exchange here photos to prove our point as long as we like, they will remain not more than selective examples. At Senna's funeral, for example, Prost, the Fittipaldis and Berger did not wear hats, despite the subtropical sun, meaning they probably subscribed to the view that keeping your hat on would be disrespectful.

But in this case, with everything so provisional looking and the driver assembling rather hurriedly from their obligations from all sides (MS apparently doing an interview seconds before), I don't see, again, the issue here. As a substitute, Schumacher dislikers are hereby sentenced to no less than three replays of Jerez to get to their expected levels of moral outrage and high blood pressure. Watch them, now!

#15187 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:34

I said "climb the field", which means not only the first lap. :wave:

Understand :confused: :drunk:

Edited by AirWebber, 01 November 2011 - 15:34.

#15188 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:37

This was in the post you answered to:

1st lap position gains (after India)

Edited by LiJu914, 01 November 2011 - 15:38.

#15189 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,685 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:39

But you're complaining about a statistic that is specifically about the 1st lap.

#15190 sharo

sharo

• 1,768 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:40

To me also, but I acknowledge that to some with more Catholic views it looks quite poor. It might be more reasonable to say that they should not be imposing their own values on Schumacher.

Exactly. Here we are a community of people from all over the world, with different religions or atheists, different national culture, different values. Therefore in my humble opinion dragging the threads in such direction as well as filling them with what is unproductive slack should be avoided by the posters.

My 2 cents.

#15191 holiday

holiday

• 3,470 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:49

MS himself is Catholic if I am not mistaken.

#15192 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 16:43

My point was very few would have any idea there was a minute of silence being held.

It's not a religious or cultural thing, though, just a matter of personal preference and value systems. There were probably a 100000 Indians (as in non-christian or whatever) and a thousand Europeans, but some took their hats off and the vast majority didn't. Don't know why this is such a big deal.

#15193 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 18:01

Hats are typically removed when people enter a Christian church, attend funerals or simply pray.

More religions in the world require your head is covered (or optional) at services than Christians.

Schumacher is not a Christian nor Holiday is he Catholic - you are mistaken.

..just unfortunate that there appears to be only one driver in that particular picture who did so.

And the guys with headphones..?? MS bowed his head and had his hands behind his back as most do in that situation. And by the way, why are Vettle, Button and Alonso unshaved? They knew they were attending a memorial service the disrespectful bastards....

Ironically, the 30 or so photographers on the other side of that camera including the guy that snapped that shot all had their caps on...

What a waste of time non issue. Time to 'ignore' the idiot that started it.

#15194 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 18:04

From Wiki ...

He donated $10 million for aid after the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. His donation surpassed that of any other sports person, most sports leagues, many worldwide corporations and even some countries. Schumacher's bodyguard Burkhard Cramer was killed in the tsunami along with his two sons.

Schumacher is a special ambassador to UNESCO and has donated 1.5 million Euros to the organization. Additionally, he paid for the construction of a school for poor children and for area improvements in Dakar, Senegal. He supports a hospital for child victims of war in Sarajevo, which specialises in caring for amputees. In Lima, Peru he funded the "Palace for the Poor", a centre for helping homeless street children obtain an education, clothing, food, medical attention, and shelter. He stated his interest in these various efforts was piqued both by his love for children and the fact that these causes had received little attention. While an exact figure for the amount of money he has donated throughout his life is unknown, it is known that in his last four years as a driver, he donated at least $50 million. In 2008 it was revealed that he had donated between $5M and $10M to the William J. Clinton Presidential Center and Park of Bill Clinton.

Since his participation in an FIA European road safety campaign, as part of his punishment after the collision at the 1997 European Grand Prix, Schumacher has continued to support other campaigns, such as Make Roads Safe, which is led by the FIA Foundation and calls on G8 countries and the UN to recognise global road deaths as a major global health issue. In 2008, Schumacher was the figurehead of an advertising campaign by Bacardi to raise awareness about responsible drinking, with a focus on communicating an international message 'drinking and driving don't mix'. He featured in an advertising campaign for television, cinema and online media, supported by consumer engagements, public relations and digital media across the world.

#15195 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 18:16

I'll extend that to anybody - keep your religious crap to yourselves thanks.

It's very easy to climb the field with the most powerful engine + KERS + DRS.

It's a very silly post that would include DRS when talking about the first lap, it's evident you are posting without the required knowledge to post on the subject.

As for KERS, he started from the start line through to turn 3 without using his KERS while others did so he could reserve it for the back straight - again your post is lacking in knowledge. It was a plan that required pure talent to put him in a good position for the back straight - evidently it worked.

As for powerful engines, well you might be right there but aero is a huge part of top speed so did you actually bother to check trap speeds before you posted your generally ill-informed post? I don't believe you did so I suggest you do so before replying....

Edited by cheapracer, 01 November 2011 - 18:19.

#15196 baddog

baddog

• 23,255 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 19:19

Actually it means that AND that he is very good at quickly making up for that. Try to think.

#15197 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 20:30

To get away from a senseless invented drama:

Schumi was always on the track a genius with moments of madness. However one of the greatest reactions I have seen in recent F1 was the way in which he went into the garage in that dark day in Suzuka 2006 when a blown engine meant his dream of another title were shredded with no fault of his own. You really could feel behind the TV screen that mental strenght, that head held high, his complete leadership when he stepped in and raised the spirits, congratulating his mechanics with a friendly smile on his face.

In Brazil he then went to give it all and after suffering that flat tyre he just went in, out and went off once again to give it all he it. All that had something strangely heroic and touching, a challenge against all the odds and loyality to himself and the team to the last inch of the track of the last lap.

Edited by H2H, 01 November 2011 - 20:31.

#15198 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 20:41

To get away from a senseless invented drama:

Schumi was always on the track a genius with moments of madness. However one of the greatest reactions I have seen in recent F1 was the way in which he went into the garage in that dark day in Suzuka 2006 when a blown engine meant his dream of another title were shredded with no fault of his own. You really could feel behind the TV screen that mental strenght, that head held high, his complete leadership when he stepped in and raised the spirits, congratulating his mechanics with a friendly smile on his face.

In Brazil he then went to give it all and after suffering that flat tyre he just went in, out and went off once again to give it all he it. All that had something strangely heroic and touching, a challenge against all the odds and loyality to himself and the team to the last inch of the track of the last lap.

Thats why he's my favourite driver. When its about the business of being a Grand Prix driver the guy is like the Terminator. He just never, ever stops.

A story I read by a sports journalist (Des Kelly) after the Brazilian GP summed it up for me. Mr Kelly was using the toilet facilities and one of Ross or Michael was already in there. The other party walked in, and while at the urinal Ross said to Michael 'Debrief in 5 minutes Michael' to which Michael replied 'Ok'.

A small moment. But both men at that point had retired. It was a hugely emotional day and the end of the season. They could both have just said well thats it, we're off. Instead even after the last lap of either of their careers (as far as they knew at that time) both remained completely professional to do the job, analyse the race, and find out how to be better next time.

The point is the level of success Michael and Ross have enjoyed doesn't happen by luck, it happens by naturally being the sort of person that displays that level of drive, commitment and professionalism not just to the end, but after it. Its just innate to them, and impresses the heck out of me.

#15199 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 21:07

It's not a religious or cultural thing, though, just a matter of personal preference and value systems. There were probably a 100000 Indians (as in non-christian or whatever) and a thousand Europeans, but some took their hats off and the vast majority didn't. Don't know why this is such a big deal.

I beg to differ, BRK. As Buttoneer correctly pointed out, this is Christian/European tradition to pay respect. I do however agree with you (being in attendance myself in the past to a such event), that in cumulative noise at such gatherings sometimes timing is off, and people miss the moment.

I have seen Schumacher taking his cap off several times in the past to pay respect, which is why I believe what ivan said, that after RTL interview that took prior the minute silence, he was probably rushed to make a picture, was one of the last to arrive, and before he realized what is going on there was a photo shot done. This is very plausible explanation.

I was trying to search internet about this subject, but this is the only place I came accross, which is making a deal out of it. So, at the conclusion I do not know what happened exactly, but watching a man for years, my bet is on misunderstanding, and not worth further discussion.

Advertisement

#15200 holiday

holiday

• 3,470 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:12

However one of the greatest reactions I have seen in recent F1 was the way in which he went into the garage in that dark day in Suzuka 2006 when a blown engine meant his dream of another title were shredded with no fault of his own.

Remember it vividly too. Class act and rare larger than life moment in f1. :up: