Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20771 replies to this topic

#15701 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 20:59

Do we know if MS and Nico share data from their set up? If they don't they can work in completely different routes with the set up, how big can be time difference I don't know. But, if they don't know what other side do , they can't take them into consideration. So, they prepare their car and hope for the best. They will not say, MS is doing this , so I will do this to beat him. Then they don't have way to know what will be better for Saturday and what for Sunday.
If they share data, they can know some stuff or to predict something, but if they don't , they will never know what to do to beat other race team(other driver).
Nico try to do what MS does(in Q) at Monza and we know what happen. I don't think team say to Nico , look MS will qualify in P9 with this time, so you can do this, get P7 and get better race pace than him. So,they don't tolerate anything as65p. I don't think team prefer Nico to MS or other way around. They get there with their teams, prepare and what happen, happens.

Advertisement

#15702 as65p

as65p

• 18,445 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 21:04

I have to say I agree with this, because it's in line with the stance I've maintained throughout the year.

Nice. :wave:

Though we could probably debate this one until the cows come home.;)

He-he. Sometimes he faster, sometimes they're equal, sometimes he's slower. Roughly on the same level, or not?

#15703 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 21:05

Do we know if MS and Nico share data from their set up? If they don't they can work in completely different routes with the set up, how big can be time difference I don't know. But, if they don't know what other side do , they can't take them into consideration. So, they prepare their car and hope for the best. They will not say, MS is doing this , so I will do this to beat him. Then they don't have way to know what will be better for Saturday and what for Sunday.
If they share data, they can know some stuff or to predict something, but if they don't , they will never know what to do to beat other race team(other driver).
Nico try to do what MS does(in Q) at Monza and we know what happen. I don't think team say to Nico , look MS will qualify in P9 with this time, so you can do this, get P7 and get better race pace than him. So,they don't tolerate anything as65p. I don't think team prefer Nico to MS or other way around. They get there with their teams, prepare and what happen, happens.

They do, from the beginning.

#15704 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 21:06

Sometimes this thread is even funnier than the "Hamilton-war zone" :stoned:

Edited by LiJu914, 23 November 2011 - 21:07.

#15705 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 21:10

Sometimes this thread is even funnier than the "Hamilton-war zone" :stoned:

Yep, it is entertaining. :)

#15706 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 4,088 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 22:14

He-he. Sometimes he faster, sometimes they're equal, sometimes he's slower. Roughly on the same level, or not?

Haha, point.

I get the feeling this thread is going to be veeeerrrry interesting come 2012, lol.

#15707 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 22:21

Schumacher has improved a lot since last year and I hope that he improves further next year, also that the tech team come up with a car capable of competing for podiums and wins. But surely we can talk about where that improvement might be found without getting all angry and upset?

In fact I think his tackling with almost all behind the leaders (and several times with them also) is good for him. Both for recovering his form and getting to know all the new kids on the block with their racing style and they also getting to know him for real. If and when he has a challenger car, I'm sure we'll see a bit different Schumacher.

Still, being older than him, I can't but feel proud with his overtaking results and starts at the age he is now.

#15708 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 17,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 22:28

In fact I think his tackling with almost all behind the leaders (and several times with them also) is good for him. Both for recovering his form and getting to know all the new kids on the block with their racing style and they also getting to know him for real. If and when he has a challenger car, I'm sure we'll see a bit different Schumacher.

Still, being older than him, I can't but feel proud with his overtaking results and starts at the age he is now.

Kinda agree. Remembering back to Schumie V1 he was often all over the place in the free practice sessions. off the track at all the tricky corners but essentially testing the limits of the car and the tyres. I don't believe that his failure to qualify well was part of a greater design but he's one driver who learns from his experiences.

#15709 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 23:34

Do we know if MS and Nico share data from their set up?

I do not know, but I doubt it, and here is why. (a) Different driving techniques where vehicle set-up is not necessarily a good common denominator; exception could be data on tire degradation data v. fuel consumption, and (b) Schumacher was always, or preponderantly a loner, who usually rely on his own set-up research. I don't think he has changed that much. Besides, and I am taxing my memory on that, didn't Rosber long time ago stated that he doesn't need Schumacher to prepare his car? I think that was a shot across the bows in very early stages of their relationship, when Nico was receiving a lot of unsolicited advice how to “handle” Schumacher.

Edited by Sakae, 23 November 2011 - 23:36.

#15710 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 00:28

I do not know, but I doubt it, and here is why. (a) Different driving techniques where vehicle set-up is not necessarily a good common denominator; exception could be data on tire degradation data v. fuel consumption, and (b) Schumacher was always, or preponderantly a loner, who usually rely on his own set-up research. I don't think he has changed that much. Besides, and I am taxing my memory on that, didn't Rosber long time ago stated that he doesn't need Schumacher to prepare his car? I think that was a shot across the bows in very early stages of their relationship, when Nico was receiving a lot of unsolicited advice how to “handle” Schumacher.

Brawn said last year(forgive me if I do not search for it) that they share data. If I remeber correctly, Rosberg himself has said the same. MS has always shared data with his teammates, I think, because, for instance, he used Barrichello"s setups frequently. Secondly, it was also stated several times that they prefer similar behaviour from the car, although of course that does not necessarily mean their style of car handling is similar too, as contradictory as that sounds. So they can try different setups in dividing work, I think they have done the same at Ferrari, and most of the teams work like that, if they don't have to go separate ways setupwise because of the drivers. Not sharing data is a left-over myth from the Senna era. (I don't necessarily mean Senna himself)

#15711 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 17,482 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 00:29

:up:
My understanding too, Szoelloe.

#15712 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 00:38

Brawn said last year(forgive me if I do not search for it) that they share data. If I remeber correctly, Rosberg himself has said the same. MS has always shared data with his teammates, I think, because, for instance, he used Barrichello"s setups frequently. Secondly, it was also stated several times that they prefer similar behaviour from the car, although of course that does not necessarily mean their style of car handling is similar too, as contradictory as that sounds. So they can try different setups in dividing work, I think they have done the same at Ferrari, and most of the teams work like that, if they don't have to go separate ways setupwise because of the drivers. Not sharing data is a left-over myth from the Senna era. (I don't necessarily mean Senna himself)

I have nothing to dispute that, but please bear in mind that is bad PR for Ross to say that his drivers are in antagonistic relationship. I follow Schumacher for very long time, and my opinion was formed over that peridod by bits and pieces collected here and there. Maybe I was wrong all that time. I do however remember a case when Michael blew up once over his set up failure (do not remember a reason), and ask Brawn to have his teammate's set up data installed. The incident created quite a commotion in the paddock at that time. Episode re-inforced my view that there was not too much sharing going on.

Edited by Sakae, 24 November 2011 - 00:40.

#15713 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 00:47

I have nothing to dispute that, but please bear in mind that is bad PR for Ross to say that his drivers are in antagonistic relationship. I follow Schumacher for very long time, and my opinion was formed over that peridod by bits and pieces collected here and there. Maybe I was wrong all that time. I do however remember a case when Michael blew up once over his set up failure (do not remember a reason), and ask Brawn to have his teammate's set up data installed. The incident created quite a commotion in the paddock at that time. Episode re-inforced my view that there was not too much sharing going on.

The case you refer to was at Benetton early in MS's career, He demanded to see his teammates data, I think. And yes, it was about the last time maybe that data was not shared. It is just not effective for the team, if you think about it. There is nowadays a very small setup window, and working and exploring within that is quite methodical, with the testing ban and all. It is much more effective for the drivers too. I don't think it would be bad PR at all though. :)

edit, If I remember correctly, it was Herbert's setup.

Edited by Szoelloe, 24 November 2011 - 00:49.

#15714 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 00:53

according to Jonny Herbert MSC didn't share his data with him, but he had to share with Michael. for the record - I wouldn't share ;)

#15715 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 00:54

according to Jonny Herbert MSC didn't share his data with him, but he had to share with Michael. for the record - I wouldn't share ;)

Yep I checked too. It was the other way around.

#15716 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:51

I think there is different kinds of data. One is set up(settings, what kind of hardware they use,springs, shocks ,else), other is reactions time(way of driving) and else for sure. Mapping, gear ratios. I don't think window of car settings is very small? One car can be set up for 10000 variants. Only from the wheel they can change a lot of things(more than 100). Chief engineer(CD) for sure knows everything, what both teams are doing. But, what happen after this we don't know. The situation this year is much more competitive.

Edited by ivand911, 24 November 2011 - 09:52.

#15717 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:59

I think there is different kinds of data. One is set up(settings, what kind of hardware they use,springs, shocks ,else), other is reactions time(way of driving) and else for sure. Mapping, gear ratios. I don't think window of car settings is very small? One car can be set up for 10000 variants. Only from the wheel they can change a lot of things(more than 100). Chief engineer(CD) for sure knows everything, what both teams are doing. But, what happen after this we don't know. The situation this year is much more competitive.

Exactly right. Ultimately one can take just balast differential into consideration between two drivers, and you can see that set-up needs to change. Finnally, tire choice, how stiff each driver wants his car - many difference creating need for two separate set-up configuration. Sharing could be done I guess only in vehicle neutral areas.

#15718 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 13:14

Exactly right. Ultimately one can take just balast differential into consideration between two drivers, and you can see that set-up needs to change. Finnally, tire choice, how stiff each driver wants his car - many difference creating need for two separate set-up configuration. Sharing could be done I guess only in vehicle neutral areas.

You mean MS is not allowed to check any setups NR has tried out if it works? Come on, you cannot be serious. And the same for NR? They can look at each others telemetry, setups, any data they wish to see.

Edited by Szoelloe, 24 November 2011 - 13:14.

#15719 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,545 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 13:59

http://www.yallaf1.c...e-safer-visors/

Because of the extra 50 grams. You have fanatics, you have die-hards and you have those two. My word :o

Advertisement

#15720 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 14:10

Rosberg is also not using it. MS is using old 2010 helmet , because he is lighter than 2011 variant , I think.

#15721 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 15:12

You mean MS is not allowed to check any setups NR has tried out if it works? Come on, you cannot be serious. And the same for NR? They can look at each others telemetry, setups, any data they wish to see.

You are misintrepretting my post. I am not addressing willingness to communicate between two drivers actually at all. My comment is related to value of information that could be shared, which I think is not as much as some think. Definitely it is not straightforward copying of data from one to another car, unless it is the same (repaired) car. There is enough differences between drivers that makes each set-up configuration unique.

#15722 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 15:57

You are misintrepretting my post. I am not addressing willingness to communicate between two drivers actually at all. My comment is related to value of information that could be shared, which I think is not as much as some think. Definitely it is not straightforward copying of data from one to another car, unless it is the same (repaired) car. There is enough differences between drivers that makes each set-up configuration unique.

I misunderstood you, yes. I agree.

#15723 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 18:03

Do we know if MS and Nico share data from their set up?

They would have to be complete morons and the team totally irresponsible to not share information/feedabck for cars that are way off the front runners pace - what the hell do either of them or the team have to gain by not sharing.

I wouldn't care, I am either a better driver than my team mate or I am not. I play golf and 'bag watchers' don't worry me in the slightest, if they asked me I would tell them if it wasn't illegal.

Edited by cheapracer, 24 November 2011 - 18:09.

#15724 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 20:33

I'm selfish ;)

I share my secrets as well, but when it comes to big competition I wouldn't share my secrets that made me better than someone else. I played in a world championship for something once - no way was I sharing my strategy with the competition. I finished 2nd in the world, so my strategy worked to beat out everyone else bar the current world champ..who had won twice before - obviously his strategy was better ;) I didn't ask him what it was ;)

Edited by Raelene, 24 November 2011 - 20:36.

#15725 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 22:11

Brazilian GP Gallery

Really wish to see some rain in the race. Hope for some positive surprise from Michael...

#15726 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 22:41

I'm selfish ;)

I share my secrets as well, but when it comes to big competition I wouldn't share my secrets that made me better than someone else. I played in a world championship for something once - no way was I sharing my strategy with the competition. I finished 2nd in the world, so my strategy worked to beat out everyone else bar the current world champ..who had won twice before - obviously his strategy was better ;) I didn't ask him what it was ;)

I'm curious now - what is it that you're second best in the world at Raelene?

#15727 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 733 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 23:11

I'm curious now - what is it that you're second best in the world at Raelene?

Bullshitting.

#15728 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 23:55

For her defense - Raelene has admitted before (forgot when :blush: ) that she was competing in some sport; also forgot which one :blush: :blush: . So, I believe her. It must be more than a year or two, but I do recall that.

Edited by Sakae, 24 November 2011 - 23:56.

#15729 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:53

it wasn't a sport as such - it was a game of strategy and it was 2003..

I still LMAO over it - as I entered the comp in NZ as a bit of fun, won it and then 3 weeks later was in St Moritz switzerland competing for NZ (and I'm an Aussie) - only got serious when I made the final 4 - then the Aussie competitive spirit took over ;)

there are photos on the internet to prove it Schumacher7 - search Raelene and WRC (no it wasn't World Rally Championship ;);)= ) and you will be informed

Edited by Raelene, 25 November 2011 - 04:00.

#15730 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:56

Bullshitting.

Knife throwing champion so you should be careful.

#15731 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 647 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:30

I was wondering and don't recall if this has been discussed, what's the age of Schumacher fans around here?

Being 24 and having followed F1 for as long as I've followed anything, really, I still had problems remembering much about seasons prior to 1998 - although I recall watching Imola in 1994, for example. Ever since Schumacher's first announcement that he would return, what with the Massa accident, I started watching some of the season reviews, but I only got now to the years that were missing from my memory, up to 1998. It was quite interesting to watch, seeing how unlucky he was in 1997 and 1998 and what a toss-up occurred in 1999 after his injury.

It seemed to me, from the race reports, that Schumi didn't collide that much with other cars, particularly in those ambivalent years when the car wasn't at the top of the grid. Then again, no car Schumacher ever drove was as uncompetitive as the MGP, not even the 1996 Ferrari. And he wasn't 42 then either.

#15732 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:17

I am 4 years younger than him. In my country I think F1 started to show the whole season since 1992. Before that I followed F1 by auto magazines. I read about him first when he was in Mercedes prototype cars. And then he suddenly enter F1.

#15733 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,458 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:26

I'm 30 and I've been following F1 since 1995 with Schumacher. Ever since, I've been a supporter of him. Not a fan in the strictly meaning of the word though. I admire, appreciate the man and want to see him fighting and winning, but not at all costs. Formula 1 had meant Schumacher for me for a very long time but not today any more. Ironically, it was the 2004 season that made me stop watching him and Formula 1. I reignited the F1 kindle with him again in 2006. Michael gives and Michael takes :)

1997, 1998 and 1999 seasons were the ones I thought I saw the very best of him. If it wasn't his British GP accident, he would have started his domination a year early. He makes me remember all those good years when I was young and happy. If you want to support someone, I think it's the most sensible way how to do it. Schumacher means my good old childhood. Everytime I see it, I remember the young sibling of me.

Anyway, I've talked too much. Sorry.

Edited by ali.unal, 25 November 2011 - 09:30.

#15734 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:41

First race ever for me was Suzuka 1998. I was 12 years old at the time. I watched Schumacher charge through the field (his first lap was breath taking - well to a 12 year old it was). I remember thinking this guy is like Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson he is so good.

Then the 1999 season started, Irvine won and the season was full of drama and the rest, as they say, is history.

#15735 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:22

I still LMAO over it - as I entered the comp in NZ as a bit of fun, won it and then 3 weeks later was in St Moritz switzerland competing for NZ (and I'm an Aussie) - only got serious when I made the final 4 - then the Aussie competitive spirit took over ;)

there are photos on the internet to prove it Schumacher7 - search Raelene and WRC (no it wasn't World Rally Championship ;);) = ) and you will be informed

I found it; you are there in photo shot with mountains in the background... good stuff. :D

#15736 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:46

I came to be a F1 fan because of MS in 1994. My dad was working with a company who sponsored Benetton, and he received 2 sets of paddock passes for the whole Hungarian race weekend. Since he was not interested in F1 he gave them to me. I nearly said no, I am not interested, but I asked a buddy of mine if he would be interested in going and he went berserk. I did not even know what paddock was. So we went to check out on Friday morning, and then spent the whole day, and weekend. I met MS personally at lunch on Saturday, and some others too over the weekend, watched the team work from 4m high, from the top of the garage for three days. He is actually a very nice person. There was a spare car Benetton Ford paddock guests coud sit in on saturday but they would not let me because I am too big. :( Anyway, long story short, I am well over 40 now and an F1 fan ever since.

#15737 mani1

mani1

• 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:47

I was wondering and don't recall if this has been discussed, what's the age of Schumacher fans around here?

I am 25. The first time I watched F1, I was bored like hell and had nothing else to do. This was probably 95/96. Watched Schumacher and Hill battling out and instantly developed a liking for Schumacher. Couldn't regularly follow F1 because I was only 8 years old at that time and had much better things to do :rotfl: but started watching regularly from 1999. IMO I became a die hard fan during his rivalry with Hakkinen. IMO that period was the best ever for F1. Till date no other rivalry even comes close. Also developed intense liking for F1 during that period. From then on saw every single race till 2006. Started watching again in 2010

#15738 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 13:13

32 and '91, although I only really became a 'fan' as in favourite driver in 1993. I'd probably been watching F1 on and off since about '89-90, but '91 was the first season I made the effort to watch in full. I still remember Schumi's first full race at Monza in '91 and James Hunt banging on about all the contract problems with Jordan and Benneton - even then this kid was going to be trouble.

Following Michael these past 20 years has been a hell of a ride with plenty of ups and downs. I think my favourite years were '96-98 because he was so obviously better than anyone else out there at the time, and it was always a good fight. There have been a couple of times too when I've given up on him, but only ever until the start of the next session. Its in the blood - the associations you make as your 'favourite thing' as a kid will always be the stronest in your life, I'll never support a driver so much again because I don't think I'm capable of developing that emotional tie to another sports person now I'm an adult. So I'm very happy having Schumi back and showing flashes of the old magic and will enjoy it while it lasts, cos for me once he's gone thats something from my life thats gone forever. I'll always love F1, but I'll never care so much again!

#15739 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 13:20

"Schumacher hopes Barrichello can secure an F1 drive in 2012"
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96448
MS is lost, he is getting old. :rotfl:

Advertisement

#15740 DS27

DS27

• 1,323 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 14:15

Following Michael these past 20 years has been a hell of a ride with plenty of ups and downs. I think my favourite years were '96-98 because he was so obviously better than anyone else out there at the time, and it was always a good fight. There have been a couple of times too when I've given up on him, but only ever until the start of the next session. Its in the blood - the associations you make as your 'favourite thing' as a kid will always be the stronest in your life, I'll never support a driver so much again because I don't think I'm capable of developing that emotional tie to another sports person now I'm an adult. So I'm very happy having Schumi back and showing flashes of the old magic and will enjoy it while it lasts, cos for me once he's gone thats something from my life thats gone forever. I'll always love F1, but I'll never care so much again!

:up:

#15741 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 14:20

"Schumacher hopes Barrichello can secure an F1 drive in 2012"
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96448
MS is lost, he is getting old. :rotfl:

What do you want him to say? Create contraversy, especially when (a) Rubena wants to continue, and (b) I think he is older than RB. When Michael retired, Ross Brawn said that he wanted to retire, as he has lost his motivation. Rubens B however makes claims that he is still OK, and wants to race.

Edited by Sakae, 25 November 2011 - 14:21.

#15742 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:08

there are photos on the internet to prove it Schumacher7 - search Raelene and WRC (no it wasn't World Rally Championship ;);)= ) and you will be informed

http://cdn3.rummikub...ub/wrc/wrc5.jpg

Your South Korean colleague looks very excited. :rotfl:

He makes me remember all those good years when I was young and happy. If you want to support someone, I think it's the most sensible way how to do it. Schumacher means my good old childhood. Everytime I see it, I remember the young sibling of me.

Its in the blood - the associations you make as your 'favourite thing' as a kid will always be the stronest in your life, I'll never support a driver so much again because I don't think I'm capable of developing that emotional tie to another sports person now I'm an adult. So I'm very happy having Schumi back and showing flashes of the old magic and will enjoy it while it lasts, cos for me once he's gone thats something from my life thats gone forever. I'll always love F1, but I'll never care so much again!

I also share this kind of emotional attachment towards Schumi which were associated with my childhood. But, are you guys that miserable? Does your lifes really suck that much right now as you 2 kind of made it sound?

#15743 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:17

What do you want him to say? Create contraversy, especially when (a) Rubena wants to continue, and (b) I think he is older than RB. When Michael retired, Ross Brawn said that he wanted to retire, as he has lost his motivation. Rubens B however makes claims that he is still OK, and wants to race.

Maybe he could give him the advice Massa give RB. :p

Edited by ivand911, 25 November 2011 - 15:19.

#15744 george1981

george1981

• 894 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:25

I think I remember Johnny Herbert talking about this. From my recollection it was with regard to the 1995 Belgium Grandprix, I think it was on Friday practice that Herbert easily had the measure of Schumacher much to everyone's surprise, that night MS said to Herbert as you're doing much better than me I don't want to share my data with you anymore, but MS still had access to Herbert's data. Schumacher qualified down in 16th but then went on to win the race. I think it was mentioned that he changed his car set up overnight, possibly aided by Herbert's data.

I think this came out a few years after they stopped being team mates when Herbert gave an interview. From my recollection it seemed to be a one off incident when MS got his knickers in a twist rather than a general no sharing of data.

#15745 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:30

But, are you guys that miserable? Does your lifes really suck that much right now as you 2 kind of made it sound?

Excuse me? You've made it very clear in the past you have a problem with me, but what is wrong with you this time?

Supporting Schumi was something from my childhood that carried over into my adult life, and so it will always be 'different'. Its just a fun throwback - like christmas. Thats what I was talking about. It was supposed to be a nice post from a fan.

No I am not miserable. No, my life does not 'suck as much as I make it sound'. I have a very rich and happy life, ta very much.

How the hell you reached that conclusion from my post is beyond me.

#15746 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 647 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:38

I'm sure everyone has fond memories of their childhood/youth and the elements that defined it to a degree.

*pathetic moment upcoming*

Perhaps the moment I recall best was how the frustration had built up in me in 2000, due to all sorts of things, and when Schumacher got taken out by Trulli, making it his third consecutive retirement, all in no way his fault, and suddenly the WDC dream was falling apart again, I went to my room and my I started crying, quite against my will. I didn't cry again for almost a decade, so that moment really stuck with me.

Clearly, had it been later on in life, it would've developed in a different manner, but that's what being young does to you and how certain things are bound together.

#15747 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:38

I think I remember Johnny Herbert talking about this. From my recollection it was with regard to the 1995 Belgium Grandprix, I think it was on Friday practice that Herbert easily had the measure of Schumacher much to everyone's surprise, that night MS said to Herbert as you're doing much better than me I don't want to share my data with you anymore, but MS still had access to Herbert's data. Schumacher qualified down in 16th but then went on to win the race. I think it was mentioned that he changed his car set up overnight, possibly aided by Herbert's data.

I think this came out a few years after they stopped being team mates when Herbert gave an interview. From my recollection it seemed to be a one off incident when MS got his knickers in a twist rather than a general no sharing of data.

Assuming it is all true of course.

#15748 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:53

I'm 50 and have been watching and watched almost every race since 1978 and reading magazine reports as a kid, mostly Phil Hill's reports in Road & Track and Motorsport my Dad bought.

Alan Jones wasn't just my favorite back then because he was Australian (I don't like Webber for example) but because of his driving - extreme aggression while maintaining purity in his skill, his racing lines, all wheel drifting getting every once out of the car every lap yet always getting the car home.

When AJ left there was a huge hole for me and although I enjoyed the 80's only Mansell showed occasional flashes (and sometimes more) of what Jones did virtually every race...

... and then Schumacher arrived.

#15749 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:30

Maybe he could give him the advice Massa give RB. :p

Point was - he was not in position to state that politely. He could say of course many things too, but he choose not to. What has escaped to many, how nice guy Michael really is, after all those rotten things RB said about him in past five years, and/or Austria fiasco and embarrassment of him by Rubens (switch orchestraded in dying seconds from pitwall to Schumacher's suprise).

Edited by Sakae, 25 November 2011 - 17:32.

#15750 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:33

promising short/long runs from MS with purple S3