Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#15751 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,244 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:26

I'm 30 and I've been following F1 since 1995 with Schumacher. Ever since, I've been a supporter of him. Not a fan in the strictly meaning of the word though. I admire, appreciate the man and want to see him fighting and winning, but not at all costs. Formula 1 had meant Schumacher for me for a very long time but not today any more. Ironically, it was the 2004 season that made me stop watching him and Formula 1. I reignited the F1 kindle with him again in 2006. Michael gives and Michael takes :)

1997, 1998 and 1999 seasons were the ones I thought I saw the very best of him. If it wasn't his British GP accident, he would have started his domination a year early. He makes me remember all those good years when I was young and happy. If you want to support someone, I think it's the most sensible way how to do it. Schumacher means my good old childhood. Everytime I see it, I remember the young sibling of me.

Anyway, I've talked too much. Sorry.

Edited by ali.unal, 25 November 2011 - 09:30.

Advertisement

#15752 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,982 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:41

First race ever for me was Suzuka 1998. I was 12 years old at the time. I watched Schumacher charge through the field (his first lap was breath taking - well to a 12 year old it was). I remember thinking this guy is like Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson he is so good.

Then the 1999 season started, Irvine won and the season was full of drama and the rest, as they say, is history.

#15753 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:22

it wasn't a sport as such - it was a game of strategy and it was 2003..

I still LMAO over it - as I entered the comp in NZ as a bit of fun, won it and then 3 weeks later was in St Moritz switzerland competing for NZ (and I'm an Aussie) - only got serious when I made the final 4 - then the Aussie competitive spirit took over ;)

there are photos on the internet to prove it Schumacher7 - search Raelene and WRC (no it wasn't World Rally Championship ;);) = ) and you will be informed

I found it; you are there in photo shot with mountains in the background... good stuff. :D

#15754 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:46

I came to be a F1 fan because of MS in 1994. My dad was working with a company who sponsored Benetton, and he received 2 sets of paddock passes for the whole Hungarian race weekend. Since he was not interested in F1 he gave them to me. I nearly said no, I am not interested, but I asked a buddy of mine if he would be interested in going and he went berserk. I did not even know what paddock was. So we went to check out on Friday morning, and then spent the whole day, and weekend. I met MS personally at lunch on Saturday, and some others too over the weekend, watched the team work from 4m high, from the top of the garage for three days. He is actually a very nice person. There was a spare car Benetton Ford paddock guests coud sit in on saturday but they would not let me because I am too big. :( Anyway, long story short, I am well over 40 now and an F1 fan ever since.

#15755 mani1

mani1

• 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:47

I was wondering and don't recall if this has been discussed, what's the age of Schumacher fans around here?

I am 25. The first time I watched F1, I was bored like hell and had nothing else to do. This was probably 95/96. Watched Schumacher and Hill battling out and instantly developed a liking for Schumacher. Couldn't regularly follow F1 because I was only 8 years old at that time and had much better things to do :rotfl: but started watching regularly from 1999. IMO I became a die hard fan during his rivalry with Hakkinen. IMO that period was the best ever for F1. Till date no other rivalry even comes close. Also developed intense liking for F1 during that period. From then on saw every single race till 2006. Started watching again in 2010

#15756 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 13:13

32 and '91, although I only really became a 'fan' as in favourite driver in 1993. I'd probably been watching F1 on and off since about '89-90, but '91 was the first season I made the effort to watch in full. I still remember Schumi's first full race at Monza in '91 and James Hunt banging on about all the contract problems with Jordan and Benneton - even then this kid was going to be trouble.

Following Michael these past 20 years has been a hell of a ride with plenty of ups and downs. I think my favourite years were '96-98 because he was so obviously better than anyone else out there at the time, and it was always a good fight. There have been a couple of times too when I've given up on him, but only ever until the start of the next session. Its in the blood - the associations you make as your 'favourite thing' as a kid will always be the stronest in your life, I'll never support a driver so much again because I don't think I'm capable of developing that emotional tie to another sports person now I'm an adult. So I'm very happy having Schumi back and showing flashes of the old magic and will enjoy it while it lasts, cos for me once he's gone thats something from my life thats gone forever. I'll always love F1, but I'll never care so much again!

#15757 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 13:20

"Schumacher hopes Barrichello can secure an F1 drive in 2012"
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96448
MS is lost, he is getting old. :rotfl:

#15758 DS27

DS27

• 1,021 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 14:15

Following Michael these past 20 years has been a hell of a ride with plenty of ups and downs. I think my favourite years were '96-98 because he was so obviously better than anyone else out there at the time, and it was always a good fight. There have been a couple of times too when I've given up on him, but only ever until the start of the next session. Its in the blood - the associations you make as your 'favourite thing' as a kid will always be the stronest in your life, I'll never support a driver so much again because I don't think I'm capable of developing that emotional tie to another sports person now I'm an adult. So I'm very happy having Schumi back and showing flashes of the old magic and will enjoy it while it lasts, cos for me once he's gone thats something from my life thats gone forever. I'll always love F1, but I'll never care so much again!

:up:

#15759 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 14:20

"Schumacher hopes Barrichello can secure an F1 drive in 2012"
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96448
MS is lost, he is getting old. :rotfl:

What do you want him to say? Create contraversy, especially when (a) Rubena wants to continue, and (b) I think he is older than RB. When Michael retired, Ross Brawn said that he wanted to retire, as he has lost his motivation. Rubens B however makes claims that he is still OK, and wants to race.

Edited by Sakae, 25 November 2011 - 14:21.

Advertisement

#15760 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:08

it wasn't a sport as such - it was a game of strategy and it was 2003..

I still LMAO over it - as I entered the comp in NZ as a bit of fun, won it and then 3 weeks later was in St Moritz switzerland competing for NZ (and I'm an Aussie) - only got serious when I made the final 4 - then the Aussie competitive spirit took over ;)

there are photos on the internet to prove it Schumacher7 - search Raelene and WRC (no it wasn't World Rally Championship ;);)= ) and you will be informed

http://cdn3.rummikub...ub/wrc/wrc5.jpg

Your South Korean colleague looks very excited. :rotfl:

He makes me remember all those good years when I was young and happy. If you want to support someone, I think it's the most sensible way how to do it. Schumacher means my good old childhood. Everytime I see it, I remember the young sibling of me.

Its in the blood - the associations you make as your 'favourite thing' as a kid will always be the stronest in your life, I'll never support a driver so much again because I don't think I'm capable of developing that emotional tie to another sports person now I'm an adult. So I'm very happy having Schumi back and showing flashes of the old magic and will enjoy it while it lasts, cos for me once he's gone thats something from my life thats gone forever. I'll always love F1, but I'll never care so much again!

I also share this kind of emotional attachment towards Schumi which were associated with my childhood. But, are you guys that miserable? Does your lifes really suck that much right now as you 2 kind of made it sound?

#15761 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:17

What do you want him to say? Create contraversy, especially when (a) Rubena wants to continue, and (b) I think he is older than RB. When Michael retired, Ross Brawn said that he wanted to retire, as he has lost his motivation. Rubens B however makes claims that he is still OK, and wants to race.

Maybe he could give him the advice Massa give RB. :p

Edited by ivand911, 25 November 2011 - 15:19.

#15762 george1981

george1981

• 724 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:25

according to Jonny Herbert MSC didn't share his data with him, but he had to share with Michael. for the record - I wouldn't share ;)

I think I remember Johnny Herbert talking about this. From my recollection it was with regard to the 1995 Belgium Grandprix, I think it was on Friday practice that Herbert easily had the measure of Schumacher much to everyone's surprise, that night MS said to Herbert as you're doing much better than me I don't want to share my data with you anymore, but MS still had access to Herbert's data. Schumacher qualified down in 16th but then went on to win the race. I think it was mentioned that he changed his car set up overnight, possibly aided by Herbert's data.

I think this came out a few years after they stopped being team mates when Herbert gave an interview. From my recollection it seemed to be a one off incident when MS got his knickers in a twist rather than a general no sharing of data.

#15763 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:30

But, are you guys that miserable? Does your lifes really suck that much right now as you 2 kind of made it sound?

Excuse me? You've made it very clear in the past you have a problem with me, but what is wrong with you this time?

Supporting Schumi was something from my childhood that carried over into my adult life, and so it will always be 'different'. Its just a fun throwback - like christmas. Thats what I was talking about. It was supposed to be a nice post from a fan.

No I am not miserable. No, my life does not 'suck as much as I make it sound'. I have a very rich and happy life, ta very much.

How the hell you reached that conclusion from my post is beyond me.

#15764 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:38

I'm sure everyone has fond memories of their childhood/youth and the elements that defined it to a degree.

*pathetic moment upcoming*

Perhaps the moment I recall best was how the frustration had built up in me in 2000, due to all sorts of things, and when Schumacher got taken out by Trulli, making it his third consecutive retirement, all in no way his fault, and suddenly the WDC dream was falling apart again, I went to my room and my I started crying, quite against my will. I didn't cry again for almost a decade, so that moment really stuck with me.

Clearly, had it been later on in life, it would've developed in a different manner, but that's what being young does to you and how certain things are bound together.

#15765 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,982 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:38

I think I remember Johnny Herbert talking about this. From my recollection it was with regard to the 1995 Belgium Grandprix, I think it was on Friday practice that Herbert easily had the measure of Schumacher much to everyone's surprise, that night MS said to Herbert as you're doing much better than me I don't want to share my data with you anymore, but MS still had access to Herbert's data. Schumacher qualified down in 16th but then went on to win the race. I think it was mentioned that he changed his car set up overnight, possibly aided by Herbert's data.

I think this came out a few years after they stopped being team mates when Herbert gave an interview. From my recollection it seemed to be a one off incident when MS got his knickers in a twist rather than a general no sharing of data.

Assuming it is all true of course.

#15766 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 16:53

I'm 50 and have been watching and watched almost every race since 1978 and reading magazine reports as a kid, mostly Phil Hill's reports in Road & Track and Motorsport my Dad bought.

Alan Jones wasn't just my favorite back then because he was Australian (I don't like Webber for example) but because of his driving - extreme aggression while maintaining purity in his skill, his racing lines, all wheel drifting getting every once out of the car every lap yet always getting the car home.

When AJ left there was a huge hole for me and although I enjoyed the 80's only Mansell showed occasional flashes (and sometimes more) of what Jones did virtually every race...

... and then Schumacher arrived.

#15767 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:30

Maybe he could give him the advice Massa give RB. :p

Point was - he was not in position to state that politely. He could say of course many things too, but he choose not to. What has escaped to many, how nice guy Michael really is, after all those rotten things RB said about him in past five years, and/or Austria fiasco and embarrassment of him by Rubens (switch orchestraded in dying seconds from pitwall to Schumacher's suprise).

Edited by Sakae, 25 November 2011 - 17:32.

#15768 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:33

promising short/long runs from MS with purple S3

#15769 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:35

Another "I did drugs in my youth" dreamtime event from Herbert...

Friday and not only was Herbert 24th, ie; last, he wrote of his chassis running off the track into the armco. Schumacher's time was 2nd fastest.

Saturday Schumacher also had an off severely damaging his car that had to be rebuilt and his outlap time was still good enough for 16th. Herbet managed only 4th whereas MS was expected to grab pole.

Schumachers car had to be rebuilt overnight and from lack of laps of course they took Herbet's setup, that's not rocket science and totally to be expected.

Of course the race is remembered for Schumacher's win from 16th and driving on slicks in the rain when everyone was on wets.

Herbet was a bloody good driver but apparently he had many issues upstairs that affected him in the cockpit.

Edited by cheapracer, 25 November 2011 - 17:39.

#15770 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:41

Michael seemed to have the edge over his teammate today, solid pace throughout.

Google translate translates that as: KERS failure in Q1, Q2, on the outlap in Q3; DRS fails before he gets out of the garage, will get sent out at the wrong time and gets caught up in traffic.

#15771 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:45

Nope.

It was allegedly at the Argentinian GP and Herbert wasn´t faster in free practice btw. ...and afaik Herbert is still the only person, who "confirmed" this.

#15772 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 18:02

Excuse me? You've made it very clear in the past you have a problem with me, but what is wrong with you this time?

Supporting Schumi was something from my childhood that carried over into my adult life, and so it will always be 'different'. Its just a fun throwback - like christmas. Thats what I was talking about. It was supposed to be a nice post from a fan.

No I am not miserable. No, my life does not 'suck as much as I make it sound'. I have a very rich and happy life, ta very much.

How the hell you reached that conclusion from my post is beyond me.

You completely misunderstood my post. I was not bashing you guys at all. I was just asking if this deep nostalgy was because nowadays the life of you guys is not happy as it was in childhood(something quite common tbh). As we get adult, in some cases, most of the time in one's life are quite boring so I just asked if that was also the case with you guys, as well.

Also, I don't remember this "problem" that I, allegedly, had with you.

#15773 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 18:11

Michael has good time (for a change). I don't want to jinx it for quali.

#15774 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 18:35

Wow, how close are those times, I know it's only Friday practice but when was the last time the top 8 were within a half second of each other ....

1 L Hamilton (GBR) McLaren 1'13.392
2 S Vettel (GER) Red Bull 1'13.559
3 M Webber (AUS) Red Bull 1'13.587
4 F Alonso (ESP) Ferrari 1'13.598
5 M Schumacher M-Benz 1'13.723
6 F Massa (BRA) Ferrari 1'13.750
7 J Button (GBR) McLaren 1'13.787
8 N Rosberg (GER) M-Benz 1'13.872

#15775 metz

metz

• 9,707 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 18:38

Mercedes always show well on Fridays.

#15776 Owen

Owen

• 10,473 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 18:42

Mercedes always show well on Fridays.

He is looking a bit handy round here. I will grudgingly admit that. :)

#15777 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 18:53

MS hopes to take the fight to Ferrari in Brazil

#15778 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 19:34

I´ll be already glad if nothing fails on his car and if he can improve his time at all :lol:

#15779 SpeedyTimer

SpeedyTimer

• 88 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 19:59

I'm sure everyone has fond memories of their childhood/youth and the elements that defined it to a degree.

*pathetic moment upcoming*

Perhaps the moment I recall best was how the frustration had built up in me in 2000, due to all sorts of things, and when Schumacher got taken out by Trulli, making it his third consecutive retirement, all in no way his fault, and suddenly the WDC dream was falling apart again, I went to my room and my I started crying, quite against my will. I didn't cry again for almost a decade, so that moment really stuck with me.

Clearly, had it been later on in life, it would've developed in a different manner, but that's what being young does to you and how certain things are bound together.

Funny you should share this.

My eldest son is a '96 and he was very precocious. When he was about 2 is when he started to get into F1. He was a schumi fan from the get go, and anytime schumi would have an off he would go into hysterics, to the point where we would threaten that he would not be allowed to watch anymore which would be good enough until the next race. Of course it seemed that Micheal had a lot of incidents in '98 and '99 especially with his accident at Silverstone. We thought he was going to stroke. By '03 he switched allegiences to the other Schumacher, and when asked why he explained that Micheal won too much. Now at 15 he is again a strident Schumacher fan.

He hopes to become an engineer and work in Formula 1.

When he started watching F1 it was in the days of ITV and Murry Walker. Of course Murry would make tons of mistakes about which team member would be shown on screen and before the co-host would correct him my son would. He would be correct time and time again and we finally asked him how he new which driver was in which car and of course he said they all had different helmets. We only had a small TV at the time.

Advertisement

#15780 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:33

Hello???????????????? 2nd page????????????

MS was 5th fastest in practice.

Bet this thread can make page 3 if he out-qualifies Nico. :lol:

#15781 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:39

Hello???????????????? 2nd page????????????

MS was 5th fastest in practice.

Bet this thread can make page 3 if he out-qualifies Nico. :lol:

don't worry.
if the opposite happens, it'll be a top 3 topic again and another time to retire...

#15782 as65p

as65p

• 17,218 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:43

Most importantly, the complaints about the growth of the thread, one way or another, will make up a good deal of the post count. And who would want to miss those vital and very informative contributions? :drunk:

#15783 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,371 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 14:15

Rotten teeth deliver more value than both those posts and your informative outings so I wouldn't worry too much about this thread in the first place :')

#15784 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 14:25

FP3 Michael already behind Nico.

It'll be interesting if Michael will be able to repeat or. confirm the time he did at FP3. Hardly believe he will improve it, that rarely happened this season.

#15785 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,371 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:06

We'll see, I'm curious especially how the weather is going to unfold and who is able to handle that best :)

Good grief, WHY do they send him out on soft tyres? He had a buffer of around 0.3s :S

Edited by Jejking, 26 November 2011 - 16:22.

#15786 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:23

We'll see, I'm curious especially how the weather is going to unfold and who is able to handle that best :)

Good grief, WHY do they send him out on soft tyres? He had a buffer of around 0.3s :S

They never realise when he is safe, do they?

#15787 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,371 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:27

They never realise when he is safe, do they?

I don't know but there is a limit somewhere eventually. Better safe than sorry of course but the more he wastes today, the more it can come back to bite him tomorrow. I don't like the sight of that.

#15788 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:34

this looks like bloody s**t

#15789 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:36

What a suprise. Schumacher looked ok on Friday and guess what come Saturday the car looks a handfull and struggling to make to 10. Same old story, and i am sick of it. as a fan.

Edited by Massa_f1, 26 November 2011 - 16:36.

#15790 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,371 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:41

Still a minute to go. Let's hope and pray that that car doesn't fall apart on the track.

Edit: holy crap, just inside the top 10 and he BACKS OFF. Wtf?

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof, what a luck he has!

Edited by Jejking, 26 November 2011 - 16:43.

#15791 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:42

What a suprise. Schumacher looked ok on Friday and guess what come Saturday the car looks a handfull and struggling to make to 10. Same old story, and i am sick of it. as a fan.

sick yes im sick of it too and a bit desperate because i can't understand what's going on -.-

#15792 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:42

and again slower than FP2/FP3 time. that's unexplainable

#15793 Igorr

Igorr

• 222 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:46

maybe he has opted more towards the wet setup, and that has contributed for the lost time..

#15794 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,311 posts

I hope it rains tomorrow in order to watch Schumacher work his magic. That magic is still there, of course. I think he will be fine tomorrow....

#15795 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,311 posts

maybe he has opted more towards the wet setup, and that has contributed for the lost time..

That is what I am thinking also.

Edited by George Costanza, 26 November 2011 - 16:46.

#15796 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

again and again. HORRIBLE!

a second slower than Nico! And as I said no improve from FP2/FP3. What's happening in this ****ing qualifying every time

also tyres are f***ed up. again used 1 set more

Edited by zelpre, 26 November 2011 - 16:47.

#15797 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:52

nobody would say a word if he´s just 2-3 tenth behind NR with a time improvement but that´s the 3rd or 4th weekend in a row with zero improvement since practice, it gets even worse!
I´ve never seen something like that.

#15798 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:59

He is out on the slower tyre now as well. Waste of time. :|

#15799 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 17:01

I´ve no clue what was their strategy this afternoon...

Advertisement

#15800 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 17:02

Once again i was too optimistic yesterday >.<