Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#15901 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,555 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:34

I believe it was Danner who's the closest one to F1, together with Dr Marko, to spit out the most bullshit this year.

Advertisement

#15902 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:36

I can understand the line of thought Danner puts down. For the Kimi we saw in 2008 or 2009 he might be right. But this time Kimi wants to be back, while in those years he seemed to have eclipsed his motivation with the title in 2007.

#15903 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:50

Danner have some doubts, which is normal. But, he say that the return is good for F1. I put it here only for the name MS in it. I also want to see what will happen next year. Remember when MS comeback everyone say , that MGP needed to sign Heidfeld instead. In the next year LRGP fire Heidfeld because he was "not good". Which I don't agree. So, next year Kimi is coming. I hope Petrov will be still there to make some comparisons.
Lets before we shoot Danner to see how next year will develop. There will be a lot of "experts" opinions following.

#15904 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:20

Alesi, who is associated with Renault (now Lotus or something), expressed publicly his opinion that Michael is not good enough to contribute modern F1 car development. I am paraphrasisng, but in essence that is what I think he stated.

It has upset me little, for it is yet another somewhat vitriolic groundless attack, because I am not certain if anyone outside of MGP who works on, or around the car trully knows what the problem was, and dump it onto Schumacher is rather stupid and irresponsible.

Reorganization under RRA was one thing, and and then add what Ross is stating in his latest interview, and it all start making sense as quite a plausible explanation what was going on at the base. Development process could be finicky affairs (speaking of my own experience), and if you introduce too many changed parameters at once, it's a bitch to sort out the noise later on, because you do not know where it is, and team cannot pull back unles you dismount all, and start all over. Ross is promissing more structured approach in 2012 testing, and I wish them luck.

#15905 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,555 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 13:08

Got a link on the Alesi comment Sakae?

#15906 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,958 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 13:45

Alesi, who is associated with Renault (now Lotus or something), expressed publicly his opinion that Michael is not good enough to contribute modern F1 car development. I am paraphrasisng, but in essence that is what I think he stated.

It has upset me little, for it is yet another somewhat vitriolic groundless attack, because I am not certain if anyone outside of MGP who works on, or around the car trully knows what the problem was, and dump it onto Schumacher is rather stupid and irresponsible.

Reorganization under RRA was one thing, and and then add what Ross is stating in his latest interview, and it all start making sense as quite a plausible explanation what was going on at the base. Development process could be finicky affairs (speaking of my own experience), and if you introduce too many changed parameters at once, it's a bitch to sort out the noise later on, because you do not know where it is, and team cannot pull back unles you dismount all, and start all over. Ross is promissing more structured approach in 2012 testing, and I wish them luck.

I think what he said was not "good enough", but that F1 development approach with less testing and more sim work has changed so drastically compared to 2006, that the added value MS could bring then is nowadays minor, or non-existent. He may, or may not be right there, I personally don't believe so. Basically, Alesi stated that that development is fully up to the engineers nowadays, and they only need a fast driver to exploit their(the engineer's) development efforts. You need to put this(Alesi's words) into context: He was hyping up KR's driving abilities, and downplaying his image of not being a driver with a car developer's mindset and ability, or team motivator, or whatever. IMHO, that is just PR BS, I would not give it too much thought. You can still see and hear the intent from nearly every team, to have at least one driver in their pairing who is a proven developer. Pre season after the RK tragedy, it fairly obvious, and even stated by Lotus that that is why they chose Heidfeld.I don't think Alesi was taking a dig at MS, he was simply trying to underline his words with a false analogy. I still think that drivers who can work and communicate seamlessly with a given teams engineers are giving thier teams a huge edge. Merc has at least one, but I suspect two such drivers, which is I say again a very enviable situation. Plus, I have to say that Alesi is talking about something he himself does not fully understand. He was one of the most gifted drivers of his time, but he lacked the attributes needed to drive a team forward the way for instance Lauda, Prost, FA, MS, and their kind could.

Edited by Szoelloe, 30 November 2011 - 13:46.

#15907 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 13:48

In terms of population, nothing beats asia at our world as of now.
Schumi fans are some one who loves Domination, winning expectation, some one who follows his tricky authority,aggressive legal assaults, justification on whatever unstylish with ego to win.
If it might be a worthy fan base, is yet to be seen.

I am a fan of someone or some organization who goes about things clear cut;
Organisation: Mclaren, Willliams, Team Lotus, Caterham f1 Team, Sauber and Curent Ferrari
Men: Kimi!

No go Zone: Michael Schumacher!

foot notes: this does not mean that I do not rate what Schumi did during his top period. his disciplines, his will(s) to win.

:lol:

FOTA´s survey shows different figures from 2010: Michael Schumacher is the most popular F1 driver (19.5%), followed by Fernando Alonso (9.7%), Kimi Raikkonen (7.2%), Felipe Massa (6.1%), Lewis Hamilton (6.0%) and Robert Kubica (4.3%).

source

"Ferrari returned to the top as the most favourited team, followed by McLaren (19.1%) and Mercedes (10.01%). Of course Ferrari and McLaren are there, but why would anyone support Mercedes? Incredibly boring livery, boring results so far, and they are just a bought-out version of Brawn. Oh yeah, they have Schumacher, so everything’s fine, of course."

Edited by ivand911, 30 November 2011 - 14:00.

#15908 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 15:47

A person who went skydiving a few days before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix posted this video on Youtube.

You can see Michael Schumacher in the video for some time from 0:49sec! :D

#15909 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:27

A person who went skydiving a few days before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix posted this video on Youtube.

You can see Michael Schumacher in the video for some time from 0:49sec! :D

haha too bad he wasn't recording him more lol :D was Michael angry when he was showing something with hands or was he just talking?

#15910 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:59

These driver's that get quoted are either being misquoted in the total sum of what they really said (why would you want to be known for saying something like that?) or are brain dead - other than Stewart I tend to think the first part is true for the majority of ex-drivers.

And how did this thread turn into a "Kimifest"?

Edited by cheapracer, 02 December 2011 - 11:00.

#15911 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,129 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:25

I wouldn't take much stock of that considering that the majority of test and development drivers at the big teams have been failed F1 drivers or are generally not considered good enough for a race seat, IE PDLR, Badoer, Paffet etc.

#15912 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:55

I think what he said was not "good enough", but that F1 development approach with less testing and more sim work has changed so drastically compared to 2006, that the added value MS could bring then is nowadays minor, or non-existent. He may, or may not be right there, I personally don't believe so. Basically, Alesi stated that that development is fully up to the engineers nowadays, and they only need a fast driver to exploit their(the engineer's) development efforts. You need to put this(Alesi's words) into context: He was hyping up KR's driving abilities, and downplaying his image of not being a driver with a car developer's mindset and ability, or team motivator, or whatever. IMHO, that is just PR BS, I would not give it too much thought. You can still see and hear the intent from nearly every team, to have at least one driver in their pairing who is a proven developer. Pre season after the RK tragedy, it fairly obvious, and even stated by Lotus that that is why they chose Heidfeld.I don't think Alesi was taking a dig at MS, he was simply trying to underline his words with a false analogy. I still think that drivers who can work and communicate seamlessly with a given teams engineers are giving thier teams a huge edge. Merc has at least one, but I suspect two such drivers, which is I say again a very enviable situation. Plus, I have to say that Alesi is talking about something he himself does not fully understand. He was one of the most gifted drivers of his time, but he lacked the attributes needed to drive a team forward the way for instance Lauda, Prost, FA, MS, and their kind could.

I am uncertain if you are suggesting that on technical side car is too complex these days for Schumacher, but what is certain, that he can during debriefing deliver qualified feedback how car is performing in race conditions. It is my assumption because regardless what is in the black box under his hood, he still has to find the fastest path around the track, ensuring that car does what driver wants. I am sure they all can speak about that, but some are perhaps better at that others.

Edited by Sakae, 02 December 2011 - 11:59.

#15913 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,958 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:31

I am uncertain if you are suggesting that on technical side car is too complex these days for Schumacher, but what is certain, that he can during debriefing deliver qualified feedback how car is performing in race conditions. It is my assumption because regardless what is in the black box under his hood, he still has to find the fastest path around the track, ensuring that car does what driver wants. I am sure they all can speak about that, but some are perhaps better at that others.

?
No. On the contrary. What I am uncertain about is how you misunderstood my post. :) Basically, what I am trying to say is that Alesi was not intentionally taking the dig at MS, and he is wrong if he genuinely thinks that development has become intimate engineers work, with the end result presented to any given driver, to extract from it whatever the team thinks the car is capable of, He(Alesi) could think that is true, he was never up to the kind of cohesion the drivers I mentioned(and some others I am sure whom I didn't mention) had established with their team's engineering. I think that the testing ban has magnified the importance of these special driver attributes, because there is no time any more to fool around with a car, running 20-30 thousand clicks just to test developments. You either get it spot on, or not. So no, I don't think the car is too complex, on the contrary.

#15914 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,856 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 16:16

Jean Alesi? His technical skills? :lol:

#15915 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,322 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 22:18

Well done Michael (& Seb)! :)

Posted Image

#15916 weston

weston

• 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:52

Well done Michael (& Seb)! :)

Posted Image

Good to see how well the old and the next Schumacher get along.

#15917 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,656 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:58

Bought his return car model -

Posted Image

:D

#15918 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:06

Good model. Very precise.

#15919 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:10

Should it not come with a missing front wing......

Advertisement

#15920 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:15

No , that will be the 2011 model.

#15921 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,656 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:50

Hehe yea it actually came this morning, love it! :D

#15922 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,555 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:34

:rotfl:

#15923 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:32

Bought his return car model -

:D

A king for a king eh...

#15924 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,336 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:54

Im trying to paint my karting helmet as a Schumacher semi replica, with a few differences, does anyone know what the actually colour of his lid is? its like an orange/red/sometimes pink colour. Cant get a match anywhere

#15925 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 17,621 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 19:55

At least there's no DRS to break.

#15926 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,555 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 22:59

Im trying to paint my karting helmet as a Schumacher semi replica, with a few differences, does anyone know what the actually colour of his lid is? its like an orange/red/sometimes pink colour. Cant get a match anywhere

What helmet are you looking for exactly? Stuff changed over the years.

#15927 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,888 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 23:04

I suppose logically it would be the Red from the German flag.

#15928 eriknaa

eriknaa

• 34 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 23:24

A Really interesting article on the W03, that will debut on the 21.2 on mercedesgp-fans:
http://mercedesgp-fa...st-of-february/
Lets hope that MGP can give Michael the car deserve for 2012 :up: :)

Edited by eriknaa, 05 December 2011 - 23:24.

#15929 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,336 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:35

What helmet are you looking for exactly? Stuff changed over the years.

The one hes using now

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see, before lacquer and after

Edited by Hacklerf, 06 December 2011 - 09:35.

#15930 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,656 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:32

A king for a king eh...

Indeed mate :wave:

At least there's no DRS to break.

:lol:

#15931 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 19:07

Schumi was at the Imperial College Engineering in London today.
Posted Image
That's Jock Clear with Schumi!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

farah_petmos:

We arranged for Michael Schumacher to hang out with imperial college engineering students in London.

jazemanjaafar interviewed Schumi in the MercAMG gym today.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

jazemanjaafar:

Morning all. Sunny Tuesday. Off to Brackley with Second Segment of filming with Michael Schumacher in the gym & factory

Edit: Added a few more pictures.

Edited by merschu, 07 December 2011 - 19:47.

#15932 dplayerx

dplayerx

• 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 20:05

Schumi was at the Imperial College Engineering in London today.

Great pictures - thanks! :up:

#15933 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 20:25

Lucky students. To have lecture from MS. I see Ph.D in the future.

Edited by ivand911, 07 December 2011 - 20:26.

#15934 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,555 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:28

Nobody asks what the college was about? Then I'll give myself the freedom. Really curious!

#15935 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,336 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:29

Thats incredible. i love to know the full training schedule for Schumi, and try to be come as strong myself.

#15936 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:48

8. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP
Schumacher enjoyed a much more competitive year of racing in 2011, putting most of the troubles from his returning season behind him. Despite a handful of aggressive moments, the seven-time Champion's pace steadily improved. A glance back at the Canadian Grand Prix shows us that there is life in the 42-year-old yet, battling against the tricky conditions to secure his team’s most impressive result of the season. A quintet of retirements ultimately damaged his bid to beat team-mate Nico Rosberg in the overall standings, but he was just one spot behind when the racing concluded.

Highlight: Competitive fourth place finish in Canada
Lowlight: Clumsy Istanbul Park clash with Petrov
Championship position: 8th (76 points)
Grid positions: 11-11-14-8-10-5-8-8-13-10-9-24-8-8-8-12-11-8-10
Finishing positions: R-9-8-12-6-R-4-17-9-8-R-5-5-R-6-R-5-7-15
Retirements: 5
http://www.gpupdate....ratings-part-3/

#15937 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 647 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 14:23

Lucky students. To have lecture from MS. I see Ph.D in the future.

If I only I was still at Imperial, maybe I could've sneaked in. :p

#15938 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 16:56

Q&A with Michael Schumacher from the Imperial College London visit.

Racing ace in Imperial pit stop

Seven-time Formula 1 World Champion, Michael Schumacher, paid a surprise visit to Imperial yesterday. The racing legend, driving for the Mercedes Petronas team, joined his race engineer Jock Clear to answer questions from students in the Faculty of Engineering.The College has a long history of producing graduates who go on to work in Formula 1. Schumacher’s visit was organised by Petronas, who sponsor the Mercedes team and count a number of Imperial alumni amongst their staff.

Chemical Engineering student Tess Goh Fui Phing said: “I really enjoyed some of the insights Michael shared with us – it made me feel closer to the experience he has while out on the track.” Mechanical Engineering student Christopher Martyr added: “It was a fantastic surprise. I thought it was really great of Michael and Jock to take that time out to speak to us.”

The students quizzed Michael on life inside the pit lane and you can read a selection of these questions below.

Why did you comeback?
It was a combination of it being Ross Brawn [Mercedes Team Principal] who asked me to come back, of it being Mercedes and of feeling that at that moment I should go for it.

F1 teams have team mates, but often it's a case of "team enemies" - how much data do you keep to yourself?
It can be team mates but it doesn’t need to be. And probably your first priority is to beat your colleague though. The data acquisition is open to everybody and is shared. You may have some personal secrets of how you’ve achieved something that you don’t feel you need to share with your colleague. At the end of the day you want to be better than your team mate, but concerning the car development, you are obliged and it’s in your own interest to communicate to the engineers and the team. The quicker you can develop the car the better it is for the both of us. After that you can try to beat the other guy.

Out of your whole career, who was the best driver you came up against?
I’d have to rate Mika Hakkinen. He was extremely fast. There were many weekends when we seemed to have an edge on him in Friday practice, but come qualifying on Saturday he’d be matching our speed. He and McLaren managed as a team to raise their game and put the car together. The secret is to maximise your potential. The car has the potential to reach 100%, and it’s about how often can you hit this. Mika was very good at this and would often surprise us.

As a driver you really want to win, but is it not sometimes more satisfying to compete and not totally dominate a season?
It can be, yes. This year I was fighting for fifth position with Lewis Hamilton in Monza, and it was a really nice battle. You can take more pleasure for yourself from that than from winning easily.

What are your views on where driver saftey is now, and where it needs to be?
Safety has become a much higher priority since we lost Ayrton Senna. The goal is that no driver loses their life. Are we there yet? We have improved massively, and since that day we haven’t lost a life. But the point is that it’s still a possibility, so there’s constant development going on. The crash tests the cars have to withstand these days are enormously high. Then it’s also about improving the circuits as well.

How are you preparing yourself for next season?
The offseason is much shorter these days. We had the last race the other weekend and now I’m taking some off time for 2-3 weeks to rest and relax and let the body and joints recover. Then at Christmas I’ll probably restart my fitness regime.

How long are you going to stay?
It depends on various factors. It’s a lot about how we develop as a team and if things go the right way in the future.

http://www2.imperial...erial-pit-stop/

#15939 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 647 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 18:52

Not very creative students, I have to say. :p

Advertisement

#15940 Poep

Poep

• 85 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 19:09

I would love to have the program of his training regime. That guy looks like a beast!. Any suggestions?

#15941 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,043 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 19:23

The one hes using now

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see, before lacquer and after

That black helmet is nice. Personally I wanted Michael to change when he signed with Mercedes, but I guess that is the helmet that is most recognised by others.

#15942 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 20:15

I FEEL LIKE CRYING! Michael Schumacher made a surprise visit to my Uni yesterday for a Q & A, he was literally a stone's throw away. To kick a man whilst he's down, no good questions came from the floor just the typical "Who is the best you've faced?" :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry:

Edited by DutchCruijff, 08 December 2011 - 20:16.

#15943 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 22:01

I would love to have the program of his training regime. That guy looks like a beast!. Any suggestions?

Man ,this have to show how determined he is. To keep this level of fitness at 42. I can't do it, I am lazy I guess. :rotfl:

If somebody missed it: MS:SV.
http://www.gpupdate....r-beats-vettel/

Edited by ivand911, 09 December 2011 - 08:29.

#15944 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,336 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:11

Schumacher amaze all the time, there is times when you think maybe it is time to doubt him, then BLAM! he hits you back and you feel like the fool.

Maybe can email Mercedes and ask them what fitness program Michael is on, weights etc.

I do remember a tweet from Brundle who said that it is a bad idea to follow Michael around the weight stacks in the gym because hes in phenomenal physical state.

#15945 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:23

I FEEL LIKE CRYING! Michael Schumacher made a surprise visit to my Uni yesterday for a Q & A, he was literally a stone's throw away. To kick a man whilst he's down, no good questions came from the floor just the typical "Who is the best you've faced?" :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry:

So why weren't you asking the better one?!!

#15946 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:32

...he was literally a stone's throw away.

I'm sure Slate Gray is jealous he didn't have that chance.

#15947 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,555 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:56

I think because he wasn't aware that Schumeister was there, despite the inexplicable aura MSC carries with him positively encouraging men in a radius of 5000m2 :p

Edited by Jejking, 09 December 2011 - 11:59.

#15948 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:09

I didn't realise he was there and 2. It was most likely limited to engineers only :cry: I would have started my questions with "Sooooooooo, Jos..." :rotfl:

#15949 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,336 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:13

I would have just bowed down, and said Hail Schumacher

#15950 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,555 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:18

I didn't realise he was there and 2. It was most likely limited to engineers only :cry: I would have started my questions with "Sooooooooo, Jos..." :rotfl:

:clap:

I would have bought myself a ticket just to witness that :D