Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#15951 dplayerx

dplayerx

• 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 20:05

Schumi was at the Imperial College Engineering in London today.

Great pictures - thanks! :up:

Advertisement

#15952 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 20:25

Lucky students. To have lecture from MS. I see Ph.D in the future.

Edited by ivand911, 07 December 2011 - 20:26.

#15953 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,443 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:28

Nobody asks what the college was about? Then I'll give myself the freedom. Really curious!

#15954 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:29

Thats incredible. i love to know the full training schedule for Schumi, and try to be come as strong myself.

#15955 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:48

8. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP
Schumacher enjoyed a much more competitive year of racing in 2011, putting most of the troubles from his returning season behind him. Despite a handful of aggressive moments, the seven-time Champion's pace steadily improved. A glance back at the Canadian Grand Prix shows us that there is life in the 42-year-old yet, battling against the tricky conditions to secure his team’s most impressive result of the season. A quintet of retirements ultimately damaged his bid to beat team-mate Nico Rosberg in the overall standings, but he was just one spot behind when the racing concluded.

Highlight: Competitive fourth place finish in Canada
Lowlight: Clumsy Istanbul Park clash with Petrov
Championship position: 8th (76 points)
Grid positions: 11-11-14-8-10-5-8-8-13-10-9-24-8-8-8-12-11-8-10
Finishing positions: R-9-8-12-6-R-4-17-9-8-R-5-5-R-6-R-5-7-15
Retirements: 5
http://www.gpupdate....ratings-part-3/

#15956 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 642 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 14:23

Lucky students. To have lecture from MS. I see Ph.D in the future.

If I only I was still at Imperial, maybe I could've sneaked in. :p

#15957 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 16:56

Q&A with Michael Schumacher from the Imperial College London visit.

Racing ace in Imperial pit stop

Seven-time Formula 1 World Champion, Michael Schumacher, paid a surprise visit to Imperial yesterday. The racing legend, driving for the Mercedes Petronas team, joined his race engineer Jock Clear to answer questions from students in the Faculty of Engineering.The College has a long history of producing graduates who go on to work in Formula 1. Schumacher’s visit was organised by Petronas, who sponsor the Mercedes team and count a number of Imperial alumni amongst their staff.

Chemical Engineering student Tess Goh Fui Phing said: “I really enjoyed some of the insights Michael shared with us – it made me feel closer to the experience he has while out on the track.” Mechanical Engineering student Christopher Martyr added: “It was a fantastic surprise. I thought it was really great of Michael and Jock to take that time out to speak to us.”

The students quizzed Michael on life inside the pit lane and you can read a selection of these questions below.

Why did you comeback?
It was a combination of it being Ross Brawn [Mercedes Team Principal] who asked me to come back, of it being Mercedes and of feeling that at that moment I should go for it.

F1 teams have team mates, but often it's a case of "team enemies" - how much data do you keep to yourself?
It can be team mates but it doesn’t need to be. And probably your first priority is to beat your colleague though. The data acquisition is open to everybody and is shared. You may have some personal secrets of how you’ve achieved something that you don’t feel you need to share with your colleague. At the end of the day you want to be better than your team mate, but concerning the car development, you are obliged and it’s in your own interest to communicate to the engineers and the team. The quicker you can develop the car the better it is for the both of us. After that you can try to beat the other guy.

Out of your whole career, who was the best driver you came up against?
I’d have to rate Mika Hakkinen. He was extremely fast. There were many weekends when we seemed to have an edge on him in Friday practice, but come qualifying on Saturday he’d be matching our speed. He and McLaren managed as a team to raise their game and put the car together. The secret is to maximise your potential. The car has the potential to reach 100%, and it’s about how often can you hit this. Mika was very good at this and would often surprise us.

As a driver you really want to win, but is it not sometimes more satisfying to compete and not totally dominate a season?
It can be, yes. This year I was fighting for fifth position with Lewis Hamilton in Monza, and it was a really nice battle. You can take more pleasure for yourself from that than from winning easily.

What are your views on where driver saftey is now, and where it needs to be?
Safety has become a much higher priority since we lost Ayrton Senna. The goal is that no driver loses their life. Are we there yet? We have improved massively, and since that day we haven’t lost a life. But the point is that it’s still a possibility, so there’s constant development going on. The crash tests the cars have to withstand these days are enormously high. Then it’s also about improving the circuits as well.

How are you preparing yourself for next season?
The offseason is much shorter these days. We had the last race the other weekend and now I’m taking some off time for 2-3 weeks to rest and relax and let the body and joints recover. Then at Christmas I’ll probably restart my fitness regime.

How long are you going to stay?
It depends on various factors. It’s a lot about how we develop as a team and if things go the right way in the future.

http://www2.imperial...erial-pit-stop/

#15958 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 642 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 18:52

Not very creative students, I have to say. :p

#15959 Poep

Poep

• 85 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 19:09

I would love to have the program of his training regime. That guy looks like a beast!. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

#15960 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,928 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 19:23

The one hes using now

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see, before lacquer and after

That black helmet is nice. Personally I wanted Michael to change when he signed with Mercedes, but I guess that is the helmet that is most recognised by others.

#15961 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 20:15

I FEEL LIKE CRYING! Michael Schumacher made a surprise visit to my Uni yesterday for a Q & A, he was literally a stone's throw away. To kick a man whilst he's down, no good questions came from the floor just the typical "Who is the best you've faced?" :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry:

Edited by DutchCruijff, 08 December 2011 - 20:16.

#15962 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 22:01

I would love to have the program of his training regime. That guy looks like a beast!. Any suggestions?

Man ,this have to show how determined he is. To keep this level of fitness at 42. I can't do it, I am lazy I guess. :rotfl:

If somebody missed it: MS:SV.
http://www.gpupdate....r-beats-vettel/

Edited by ivand911, 09 December 2011 - 08:29.

#15963 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:11

Schumacher amaze all the time, there is times when you think maybe it is time to doubt him, then BLAM! he hits you back and you feel like the fool.

Maybe can email Mercedes and ask them what fitness program Michael is on, weights etc.

I do remember a tweet from Brundle who said that it is a bad idea to follow Michael around the weight stacks in the gym because hes in phenomenal physical state.

#15964 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:23

I FEEL LIKE CRYING! Michael Schumacher made a surprise visit to my Uni yesterday for a Q & A, he was literally a stone's throw away. To kick a man whilst he's down, no good questions came from the floor just the typical "Who is the best you've faced?" :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry: :| :cry:

So why weren't you asking the better one?!!

#15965 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:32

...he was literally a stone's throw away.

I'm sure Slate Gray is jealous he didn't have that chance.

#15966 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,443 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:56

I think because he wasn't aware that Schumeister was there, despite the inexplicable aura MSC carries with him positively encouraging men in a radius of 5000m2 :p

Edited by Jejking, 09 December 2011 - 11:59.

#15967 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:09

I didn't realise he was there and 2. It was most likely limited to engineers only :cry: I would have started my questions with "Sooooooooo, Jos..." :rotfl:

#15968 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:13

I would have just bowed down, and said Hail Schumacher

#15969 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,443 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:18

I didn't realise he was there and 2. It was most likely limited to engineers only :cry: I would have started my questions with "Sooooooooo, Jos..." :rotfl:

:clap:

I would have bought myself a ticket just to witness that :D

#15970 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,218 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 15:12

A 2011 Highlights video I found on Youtube.

#15971 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,218 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 15:39

Hard work and dedication.

Bernard Hopkins; 46 years old, the Light Heavyweight Champion of the World. Pound for Pound one of the best fighters on earth

Posted Image

Watch the master at work

#15972 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 16:27

Posted Image
What made Schumi react this way? :drunk: :rotfl:

#15973 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,218 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 16:30

Posted Image

About 8 pint of beer :rotfl:

#15974 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,218 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 16:30

Posted Image

About 8 pints of beer :rotfl:

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 10 December 2011 - 16:30.

#15975 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 16:38

Posted Image

I think it was nations cup quarter-finals, where MS lost his 1st race and SV won in the 2nd run

#15976 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 17:35

The beginning:

http://www.youtube.c...0...&playnext=1
http://www.youtube.c...Y...der&list=UL
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
How was Schumacher quicker than Senna ?
http://www.youtube.c...4...screen&NR=1

Edited by ivand911, 10 December 2011 - 18:11.

#15977 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 17:38

That montage of best of 2011 is awesome, shows how strong he has been at points. There's a lot missing, a longer one would be even better.

#15978 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 18:10

That montage of best of 2011 is awesome, shows how strong he has been at points. There's a lot missing, a longer one would be even better.

It remind me what good race was Monaco. Until the car was going.

#15979 Math89

Math89

• 78 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 19:10

A 2011 Highlights video I found on Youtube.

Ah canada 2011... Had all kinds of emotions in that race.

Anger because Mercedes brought him in for option tyres just before the rain and he had to come back in for wet tyres. Wich made him start at around P10 at the restart. He would have started at P2 if they would have waited just one lap.

Extreme joy when he passed Massa and Kobayashi. I was so convinced he would be on podium.

And extreme sadness when DRS was activated and he lost a podium finish. Man, that hurted me more then the time my first girlfriend broke up with me. :p (just kidding)

And after the race thinking about what could have happened...

Don't think some folks will understand but the past two years following F1 have just been awesome for me as an MSC fan. It's just so much better if there is someone driving who you support fully.
For example the part of my emotions during the Canada grand prix. Before 2010 I followed F1 with a neutral point of view ;
- Oh that guy won /care
- Oh, that guy crashed /care
- Oh, that guy is the world champion /care

Now it's just different. I enjoy it so much more just because of the presence of one man on track.

Edited by Math89, 10 December 2011 - 19:11.

Advertisement

#15980 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 19:19

Ah canada 2011... Had all kinds of emotions in that race.

Anger because Mercedes brought him in for option tyres just before the rain and he had to come back in for wet tyres. Wich made him start at around P10 at the restart. He would have started at P2 if they would have waited just one lap.

Extreme joy when he passed Massa and Kobayashi. I was so convinced he would be on podium.

And extreme sadness when DRS was activated and he lost a podium finish. Man, that hurted me more then the time my first girlfriend broke up with me. :p (just kidding)

And after the race thinking about what could have happened...

Don't think some folks will understand but the past two years following F1 have just been awesome for me as an MSC fan. It's just so much better if there is someone driving who you support fully.
For example the part of my emotions during the Canada grand prix. Before 2010 I followed F1 with a neutral point of view ;
- Oh that guy won /care
- Oh, that guy crashed /care
- Oh, that guy is the world champion /care

Now it's just different. I enjoy it so much more just because of the presence of one man on track.

I agree 100%

I've been a Schumi fan since I saw him climb into the Jordan at Spa in 1991 and Qualify 7th and yes I get exactly the same feelings. :)

I would dearly love him to have a decent/competitive car again. I know for a fact he would win races!

Edited by Longtimefan, 10 December 2011 - 19:20.

#15981 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 21:06

Same with me, mate. :up:
Though a lot of people won't understand it.

#15982 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 21:07

Same here aswell - if he goes out a GP i tend to forget the rest of it unless it's spectacular.

#15983 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 21:30

Same with me, mate. :up:
Though a lot of people won't understand it.

I'm now trying to find another driver to support as well as Michael so when he does retire again I won't have to abruptly start supporting somebody new, I'll have a gradual crossover.

#15984 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 642 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 21:34

Had quite the same emotions during the Canada GP. And all the waiting making what followed seem preordained, until DRS was activated. Such a shame, that was.

Just regarding this whole supporting business. After Schumacher first retired, I kept on with Ferrari and enjoyed Raikkonen's WDC win, was quite down after Massa's loss, but it just didn't compare. I've definitely been following the sport more religiously now than I had before.

Also, when my favourite tennis player retired, a certain guy who just got a seat in the Duma, I tried to latch onto another player, but it's just not the same. My favourite football player is about to retire as well this year and the situation is similar.

Of course, the main reason behind it is that all these guys were around during my youth, when caring passionately about something that's not very much pertaining to your own self comes much more naturally.

Edited by PoliFanAthic, 10 December 2011 - 21:40.

#15985 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 21:46

Posted Image

Maybe JB has some breath issues.

#15986 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 21:48

I'm now trying to find another driver to support as well as Michael so when he does retire again I won't have to abruptly start supporting somebody new, I'll have a gradual crossover.

I'm not sure you can 'find' another driver; they tend to find you.

#15987 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 00:00

I'm not sure you can 'find' another driver; they tend to find you.

After Prost, this actually happened to me with Michael, and now Sebastian. Somehow initially not entirely popular, yet eye catching on the track, and rest is history. I consider myself lucky with my choices. I had a brief "flink" with Kimi, but that did not grow, I have tried with a team, but fact is, for me it is a performance and personality of a driver that draws me back, not a machine.

Edited by Sakae, 11 December 2011 - 00:00.

#15988 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,443 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 00:06

Same here aswell - if he goes out a GP i tend to forget the rest of it unless it's spectacular.

True, true. Well, to be honest, in Canada I really was shouting and screaming and cheering him on like crazy, I never thought I was able to do that but the way he tossed that car around the circuit over the bumps and kerbs was just unbelievable. THAT was the old Schumacher we all have known so well. Pure eyecandy. Totally heartbroken when *whoever made the call* was just too much of a pussy to jump to extreme wet tyres and that damn DRS was activated. Well, we all saw that coming in the end, didn't we :) For me, he was third there (big chance Button would have got past anyway, he was really quick that day).

#15989 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,218 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 13:04

True, true. Well, to be honest, in Canada I really was shouting and screaming and cheering him on like crazy, I never thought I was able to do that but the way he tossed that car around the circuit over the bumps and kerbs was just unbelievable. THAT was the old Schumacher we all have known so well. Pure eyecandy. Totally heartbroken when *whoever made the call* was just too much of a pussy to jump to extreme wet tyres and that damn DRS was activated. Well, we all saw that coming in the end, didn't we :) For me, he was third there (big chance Button would have got past anyway, he was really quick that day).

I'll never forget Canada, the inferior Schumacher was battling for 2nd at one point while the superior Rosberg came across the line with a broken front wing. :rotfl:

#15990 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 13:21

:rotfl:
If MS have the MGP car from India in Canada I think situation for him would be much better. Canada car was the gills monster, side exhausts. It eats tyres very quickly. If he have India car then with gentle tyre usage and better speed, Button would have very hard task. I still think that without DRS he could still have hard task to pass Michael even with the old car.
The bad start of the season cost the team dearly. If they didn't have those cooling problems, losing time with wrong exhaust they could have better season. Some podiums(Canada one of them).

Edited by ivand911, 11 December 2011 - 14:46.

#15991 Math89

Math89

• 78 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 14:29

I'll never forget Canada, the inferior Schumacher was battling for 2nd at one point while the superior Rosberg came across the line with a broken front wing. :rotfl:

Oh come on :(

If you say things like that you're just inviting trolls to come here with the same crap and 'facts' they are posting in the Nico vs Michael Thread. And this thread has been trollfree for some time now. :p

#15992 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 15:05

And this thread has been trollfree for some time now. :p

Problem is Michael finished the season generally on a high note.

Of course the answer to that is dig up some dirt somewhere, I know I'll start a "Jos says MS cheated back in '94 thread ....

#15993 Math89

Math89

• 78 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 16:27

And do you know what he did in 1994 and 1997?

#15994 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 17:03

:rotfl: Don't forget Austria 2002 and Monaco 2006, sure that's one event every (roughly) four years!

#15995 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 17:16

:rotfl: Don't forget Austria 2002 and Monaco 2006, sure that's one event every (roughly) four years!

You forgot the hand pushing by marshals (and a guy from the public) in Germany - obvious cheating :rotfl:

#15996 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:50

Ate at McDonalds?

#15997 Math89

Math89

• 78 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:12

Ate at McDonalds?

Really? And there we have proof people... Schumacher hates animals because he eats meat.

I'll get my shotgun.

#15998 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:37

Really? And there we have proof people... Schumacher hates animals because he eats meat.

I'll get my shotgun.

That's strange, I love animals - eat as many of them as I can.

But anyway, waiting for you to tell us what he did in "'94 and '97" ...

#15999 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:37

And this would be the 16,000th post - amazing for an old bloke.

Advertisement

#16000 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:38

In '94 he was in Adelaide, in '97 he was at Albert Park! Yea I'm bored lol.