Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#16601 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 20:23

Posted Image
Yes, Michael, but this is not the Number 1 finger. Ask Vettel.

Edited by ivand911, 10 January 2012 - 20:23.

Advertisement

#16602 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 20:42

Yeah, he was faster in the races than Nico. I guess you didn't check. Check here:
http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php

Thats a lot of checking :eek:

#16603 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 21:08

Posted Image

:lol:
Is that the equivalent of " :up: " in German?

#16604 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 21:28

OT - I reckon Michael would of won in 1999, and got an 8th title for it, but in some ways it makes his career even more special as came back from a serious injury with no decrease in speed to destroy the opposition in Malaysia.

Remember that Malaysian race vividly, it was awesome to see Michael schooling the rest of the field that day and helping Irvine in his bid for the title.
It was a bit double as I hoped very much for Ferrari to win the title that year but felt not that it should be Irvine.
Perfect compromise it was in the end, WCC for Ferrari and the first WDC since a long time the next year for Michael. :up:

#16605 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 22:43

Even schumi's biggest hater shouldn't be disagree with this.

8 races into the season and even Eddie Irvine was equal points with Schumi. Not as clear cut as you'd think.

#16606 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 23:12

Does anyone remember how much of an impact Coulthard had on Schumacher's race in Japan 1999?

#16607 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 23:21

Does anyone remember how much of an impact Coulthard had on Schumacher's race in Japan 1999?

He held him up for a few corners but really wasn't a determining factor of the race result. I doubt Schumi was pushing Mika that hard, but I don't blame him.;)

#16608 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 14:27

Remember that Malaysian race vividly, it was awesome to see Michael schooling the rest of the field that day and helping Irvine in his bid for the title.
It was a bit double as I hoped very much for Ferrari to win the title that year but felt not that it should be Irvine.
Perfect compromise it was in the end, WCC for Ferrari and the first WDC since a long time the next year for Michael. :up:

Yep, that was a fantastic stamping of authority. Just in case anyone thought he back gradually or slower.

#16609 krea

krea

• 714 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 14:49

8 races into the season and even Eddie Irvine was equal points with Schumi. Not as clear cut as you'd think.

yeah lol after the UK GP...

after the France GP Schumacher had 32 points and Irvine had 26 points.

#16610 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 22:32

Posted Image

I am convinced that his is answering a question from media.

#16611 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,033 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 22:40

yeah lol after the UK GP...

after the France GP Schumacher had 32 points and Irvine had 26 points.

That's a good point actually. Irvine had to hold station behind Schumi at France. So Irvine would have had more points after the first 8 races.  ;)

#16612 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:11

Suzuka 2000 was the best qualifying session ever in my opinion, extremely tense, no room for error, each driver pushing the other on and the margins were wafer thin.

The race was great to watch too, extreme pressure and two top drives from Mika and Michael.

OT - I reckon Michael would of won in 1999, and got an 8th title for it, but in some ways it makes his career even more special as came back from a serious injury with no decrease in speed to destroy the opposition in Malaysia.

Canada GP 2000 was awesome too betweeen David and Michael as for qualifying. Incredible speed by Schu.

2000 Click on this...

Edited by George Costanza, 12 January 2012 - 01:18.

#16613 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,796 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:10

Canada GP 2000 was awesome too betweeen David and Michael as for qualifying. Incredible speed by Schu.

2000 Click on this...

Canada 2000 I remember most for Ferrari telling Rubens Barrichello to stay behind MS, and
not overtake him in the last part of the race. That would have been Rubens first F1 victory

Incredible

speed

#16614 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:23

Canada 2000 I remember most for Ferrari telling Rubens Barrichello to stay behind MS, and
not overtake him in the last part of the race. That would have been Rubens first F1 victory

Incredible

speed

Forty, Happy New Year to you too. :p
Rear Brake problems are the words you are looking for. No need to thank me. You are Welcome.

#16615 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,775 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:27

offtopic but wow those engines really sounded cool

#16616 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:59

MotoGP: Valentino Rossi wants to 'be like Schumacher' in decade
http://www.auto123.c...campaign=racing
"I'm an Italian racing for an Italian team, Schumacher is a German with Mercedes. And we have the same chances in the championship," he smiled.

http://smg.photobuck..._NR_MercHPE.jpg
http://smg.photobuck...325386883_o.jpg

Edited by ivand911, 12 January 2012 - 14:05.

#16617 chrisaix

chrisaix

• 67 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 14:09

MotoGP: Valentino Rossi wants to 'be like Schumacher' in decade
http://www.auto123.c...campaign=racing
"I'm an Italian racing for an Italian team, Schumacher is a German with Mercedes. And we have the same chances in the championship," he smiled.

http://smg.photobuck..._NR_MercHPE.jpg
http://smg.photobuck...325386883_o.jpg

:up: Nice to see valentino appreciates and understands the challenge schumi is in.

#16618 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 14:34

http://smg.photobuck...v613/abdur1234/
I really enjoyed this album. You see a guy who was lost after MS departed from F1. You see his soul searching. Taking some wrong routes-Ferrari(color playing), Kimi, Lewis, Coca-Cola. But, he finally come home. :clap: :up:

From the same guy(MercAMGF1Fans-f1technical forum):
"All i've been told from the guys who work at Merc (yes, they're following me on Twitter) is.. really short sharp answers

It's coming on great :)

seriously.. they're super quiet"

Edited by ivand911, 12 January 2012 - 14:45.

#16619 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:13

Barrichello on Schumacher pass in Hungry 2010
http://www.youtube.c...s...&playnext=1
So, it wasn't like a lot of people wanted to believe it was.

Advertisement

#16620 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,455 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:30

That Michael didn't try to kill himself and Rubens, but just almost did because he wanted to scare him?

#16621 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,737 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:33

Barrichello on Schumacher pass in Hungry 2010
http://www.youtube.c...s...&playnext=1
So, it wasn't like a lot of people wanted to believe it was.

I doubt Michael wanted to kill Ruben's as that is absurd, but it was a pretty bonehead move nonetheless and not something you expect from a guy with all his experience. The reaction it recieved was embarrassing enough for Michael and I'm sure he regrets it.

#16622 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,709 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:37

That Michael didn't try to kill himself and Rubens, but just almost did because he wanted to scare him?

Oh, he had a 9mm too, but missed RB's head. Get lost mate.

#16623 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:52

http://www.youtube.c...8...der&list=UL
Full Rubens interview for some other "cases".
Michael even give him the cup for Austria 2002. Latter Indianapolis win.
Rubens said that he have choice where to go in Hungary 2010. Inside or outside, he decided for inside. So ,rest is history.

Edited by ivand911, 13 January 2012 - 12:02.

#16624 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:57

Senna generation style racing. It's just girls of this generation are ooops and heyyyy over that.

#16625 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 22:58

Please, read this:
http://en.espnf1.com...tory/56964.html
:love: :eek: :eek:
This will probably hint you to why this guy is the best ever

#16626 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,455 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 23:21

I read it in August. Why this need for "best ever" everywhere? Aren't you sure about it?
Anyway - about the Michael vs Rubens in Hungary it was embarrassing. It's not the he gave the inside line it was that he was slowly pushing him to the wall. He expected Rubens to back off which he didn't and it could have been a nasty crash. Luckily it wasn't and I think it was en eyeopener for Michael. Why not for so many of his fans? Drivers sometimes make moves that are embarrassing.
And yes - I watched my first F1 race in the 70s.

Edited by FenderJaguar, 15 January 2012 - 23:23.

#16627 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 00:31

ok, forget about the "best ever" thing. This guy is so good that it's kind of ridicolous, though. Some other quotes found here:
http://www.f1revs.co...s-f1-debut.html

team manager Trevor Foster calls him in and says to marketing director Ian Philips "We must slow the guy. Show that you get Eddie on the phone and tell him that we have a madman or a superstar in your car"

Eddie Jordan being phoned with team manager Trevor Foster stating "I'm not sure what's going on. Did they alter the track this morning? His times are ridiculously fast."

:lol:

Eddie Jordan further elaborating on the team talking to him on the phone. Jordan team: "The guy is a rocket" with Eddie responding "Check it out with Silverstone Syd(Syd Herbert). Maybe you have made a mistake in the route."

"Everything in order" comes back in reply. "There was a narrow section of the course, called the Loop. John Watson was unbeatable there. Schumacher has in that sector immediately set a new fastest time."

Gary Anderson: "He only did about 20 laps, but his fastest lap was as good as we'd ever done at that circuit,"

Schmuacher on his Silverstone test "I have a feeling I was not even on the limit"

#16628 baddog

baddog

• 23,522 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:13

Anyway - about the Michael vs Rubens in Hungary it was embarrassing. It's not the he gave the inside line it was that he was slowly pushing him to the wall. He expected Rubens to back off which he didn't and it could have been a nasty crash. Luckily it wasn't and I think it was en eyeopener for Michael. Why not for so many of his fans? Drivers sometimes make moves that are embarrassing.

It was a stupid move, and deserved a minor penalty. All the 'tried to kill him' and 'poor rubens' bullshit fails to account for the fact Rubens decided to stay in the gap ONLY because it was Michael and he wanted to make a point (He said so afterwards, that if it were anyone but Michael he would have backed out). I hope noone is suggesting he was in actual fear of his life at any time there..

#16629 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 654 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:33

I read it in August. Why this need for "best ever" everywhere? Aren't you sure about it?
And yes - I watched my first F1 race in the 70s.

Webber did something very similar to Massa in Fuji 2008 but no one made a fuss, it was a bold move by Felipe.

Edited by Ragingjamaican, 16 January 2012 - 02:38.

#16630 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:13

Is it my imagination or standards what is, or is not aceptable on the track has chnaged over the years? I do not have access (nor time for that matter) to proper video archives to check my suspicion, but I think during Senna/Prost years, and I would include Schumacher (at the end), hard nose driving was not only acceptable, but expected. Today we have ... well, something else. I think Michael was carrying forward some of it in his early career, and occassionally he will go like that again, which might suprise some of the girls on the track.

Edited by Sakae, 16 January 2012 - 14:30.

#16631 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 14:24

I think your right, to many people ready to kick up a fuss these days, like Monza, i saw nothing wrong with his defending to Hamilton, but still everyone goes mad?

#16632 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 17:04

I think your right, to many people ready to kick up a fuss these days, like Monza, i saw nothing wrong with his defending to Hamilton, but still everyone goes mad?

Mostly because Monza involved LH and unfortunately he, whilst being a very, very good driver, does have a lot of morons who support him & have little or no clue/interest in F1 beyond their so-called TDG.

#16633 Apollonius

Apollonius

• 601 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 17:31

I personally thought it was one of the best pieces of driving we'd seen all season - years ago the commentators would have been wetting themselves in glee at such a master class of defensive driving.....yet all we got from DC and Brundle was scorn tinged with an obvious heaping of jealousy and as we know the majority of new fans don't have their own opinions, they just emulate those of the commentators, hence the big stink.

#16634 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 18:27

I guess DC and Marty are "jealous" of Michael Schumacher, still.

#16635 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 13:29

I personally thought it was one of the best pieces of driving we'd seen all season - years ago the commentators would have been wetting themselves in glee at such a master class of defensive driving.....yet all we got from DC and Brundle was scorn tinged with an obvious heaping of jealousy and as we know the majority of new fans don't have their own opinions, they just emulate those of the commentators, hence the big stink.

You know what I think it was in Monza? Psychological warfare at its finest. Hamilton simply didn't make it stick, probably thinking about the championship or a little weak in the legs after a couple of shunts earlier that season in direct combat (Monaco, Spa).

Three incidents there were:

1. Curva Grande.
2. Before Lesmos (does it have a name?)
3. Before Ascari.

1. Schumacher takes the racing line. Although it looks and is a bit naughty, Hamilton has to back out of it. His front wheels are marginally ahead of Schumachers rears, just like Hamilton vs Massa in Singapore. Hamilton got the penalty there, FYI.
2. Hamilton pushes Schumacher into defense before the chicane, has a better exit as a result. That's cool, he has a faster car, he is faster but just have to pass. He threatens to come alongside, Schumacher intimidates Hamilton by coming off the line. Okay, that's where Schumacher has to stay IF Hamilton insists. If he does NOT and jumps out of the move, it gives Schumacher the right to come back at the ideal line to take the corner. That is what happened, the attack simply was over. If Hamilton had dared to make it stick (wouldn't have given him much chance at that point, can't look into the future but Hamilton might have had a chance on skill there), Schumacher simply would have had no case.
3. Hamilton drives Schumacher into defense again because his exit after Lesmo 2 is better. He sticks his nose down there on the outside but backs out of it, thus gifting Schumacher the privilege of taking the racing line again.

Sorry, I got to say that the haters have to build a better case against Schumacher for doing that. He is a driver who does do anything and doesn't take a thing for granted. Extreme on every aspect. There aren't so many guys on the grid who can do that. Kobayashi is good in dogfights and Webber also has his flashes of ruthlessness on-track. On pure racing skills Hamilton even might be better than Schumacher, he makes it look easy most of the time (creativity wise, creating opportunities) but on the psychological side he is not on the edge where Schumacher is. Oh, before you call me a fanboy, Monaco 2006 was utter stupidity, Jerez 1997 was bad too.

Edited by Jejking, 17 January 2012 - 13:36.

#16636 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,278 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 13:50

With Rubens out, is it now more likely Schumi will stay for 2013, to top the table of most GPs raced?

#16637 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 14:32

The guy loves to race, regardless of that BBC interview people will cite, the "I only race to win", I believe he's happy enough to be mixing it at the top. After Spa, Monza etc. he had this massive, uncontainable, smile on his face. It's just the satisfaction of mixing it and still proving himself amongst the kids that is enough for him. However, another shitty car and shitty in-season development could put a stop to his career.

#16638 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 14:42

With Rubens out, is it now more likely Schumi will stay for 2013, to top the table of most GPs raced?

I think the difference now is 38 races , so MS will need probably more than 2 years to beat this record.

#16639 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 14:44

He´s very quiet at the moment. Usually he gives some bigger interviews in december/january, not this time it seems.

Advertisement

#16640 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,737 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 14:50

Sorry, I got to say that the haters have to build a better case against Schumacher for doing that. He is a driver who does do anything and doesn't take a thing for granted. Extreme on every aspect. There aren't so many guys on the grid who can do that. Kobayashi is good in dogfights and Webber also has his flashes of ruthlessness on-track. On pure racing skills Hamilton even might be better than Schumacher, he makes it look easy most of the time (creativity wise, creating opportunities) but on the psychological side he is not on the edge where Schumacher is. Oh, before you call me a fanboy, Monaco 2006 was utter stupidity, Jerez 1997 was bad too.

I thought it was a great battle between the two drivers. Super defence by Michael and super determination by Hamilton. It was a very long time for both drivers and Lewis finally got past which was great to watch. I hope we see more of it this year even though the one move rule has been amended.

#16641 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 14:58

He´s very quiet at the moment. Usually he gives some bigger interviews in december/january, not this time it seems.

Doesn't have to answer any critics this year.

#16642 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:53

He expected Rubens to back off which he didn't and it could have been a nasty crash.

Rubens should have backed out of that and he had plenty of time too, he didn't, it wasn't a nasty crash and life continues.

If Rubens was concerned I suggest driving on Chinese freeways for practice.

#16643 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:03

Is it my imagination or standards what is, or is not aceptable on the track has chnaged over the years?

It's worse than that, F1 passing has become so difficult thanks to the morons running it that every other way to pass a car has to be looked at ie; penalties, teams take every chance they get to move their driver forward.

Note now anything that happens on track now the driver immediately screams for a penalty.

#16644 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,278 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 14:18

I think the difference now is 38 races , so MS will need probably more than 2 years to beat this record.

38 for race entries, 35 for race starts - which is probably a better barometer. Either way with a potential 20 races each year, he'd only need to do two seasons. And with no more wins he'd remain above Jackie in the table for highest win percentage. Though Seb V is closing in.

http://en.wikipedia...._driver_records (you'll need to turn Javascript off today to view)

#16645 xlr8

xlr8

• 717 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 17:34

Some good words from one of Schumi's old rival.

#16646 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 19:58

Good words from Damon. He's right, it is pretty amazing in this day and age to have a 43 year old on the grid and still able to put in a respectable performance.

#16647 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:39

The 2012 Wish List
http://www.planetf1....h-List-For-2012
My favorite: 2,9,11,20.

#16648 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:57

Some good words from one of Schumi's old rival.

Damon's bitterness towards F1 in general seems to have completely vanished in recent years, highly underated (people tend to overlook his pre-F1 record) and easy to forget that without MS around he may have been a 3 x WDC.

#16649 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,509 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 17:45

Damon's bitterness towards F1 in general seems to have completely vanished in recent years, highly underated (people tend to overlook his pre-F1 record) and easy to forget that without MS around he may have been a 3 x WDC.

What bitterness? the guy is one of the most level-headed and balanced World Champions in the last 20 years.

#16650 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 18:30

"the tallest tree catches the most wind"