Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20771 replies to this topic

#17101 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 17,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 16:59

I dont understand this Canada thing, it was an unusual race SC etc, it was a great drive by Schumacher? But he only finished 6 seconds in front of the driving god that is Petrov. :confused:

If this is an attempt to belittle that performance you're very wide of the mark. Even finishing a race that chaotic is a good job and it's one of those examples where experience can make a difference, and Schumacher was only a small step away from the podium.

Advertisement

#17102 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:08

If this is an attempt to belittle that performance you're very wide of the mark. Even finishing a race that chaotic is a good job and it's one of those examples where experience can make a difference, and Schumacher was only a small step away from the podium.

Agreed experience can make a difference, it was a crazy race though, Button went from running last to winning the race

#17103 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:16

2012 will be very interesting for sure.

Indeed.
As i would be happy for MSC to have a successful 2012-season, i´m yet way less optimistic about that than most of his supporters.
We can only speculate about the impact of the technical changes:
The 2012-spec tyres didn´t seem to change much in Brazil (of course one race is only a random sample...).
The disappearance of the EBD might help MSC a little bit - he looked a little bit better in Qualifying in the first half of 2010 (MGP introduced their first EBD in Valencia afaik) against Rosberg than in the 2nd half of 2010 and the 2011 season.
But overall i think he might very likely still lack some pace in Qualifying.
And that problem might become more severe than previous year. I expect the cars to be much closer together in 2012, making qualifying more crucial.

Edited by LiJu914, 13 February 2012 - 17:18.

#17104 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:23

Indeed.
As i would be happy for MSC to have a successful 2012-season, i´m yet way less optimistic about that than most of his supporters.
The 2012-spec tyres didn´t seem to change much in Brazil (of course one race is only a random sample...).
The disappearance of the EBD might help MSC a little bit - he looked a little bit better in Qualifying in the first half 2010 (MGP introduced their first EBD in Valencia afaik) against Rosberg than in the 2nd half.
But overall i think he will still lack some pace in Qualifying.
And that problem might become more severe than previous year. The cars might come closer together in 2012, making qualifying more crucial.

I agree,the one thing I'd like to add, to me the very thought of Schu just being in F1 and still driving competitively is a success in itself.I'm a realist and don't expect him to drive like he did 10-15 years ago but also am not a fool to think he doesn't have what it takes.

#17105 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:27

Indeed.
The disappearance of the EBD might help MSC a little bit - he looked a little bit better in Qualifying in the first half of 2010 (MGP introduced their first EBD in Valencia afaik) against Rosberg than in the 2nd half of 2010 and the 2011 season.

I didn't know they used 2012 tyres in Brazil? I don't think they use them.

#17106 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:30

I didn't know they used 2012 tyres in Brazil? I don't think they use them.

Because they didn't :)

#17107 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:35

Because they didn't :)

Maybe i confused something and they just tried them in free-practice.

Edited by LiJu914, 13 February 2012 - 17:35.

#17108 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:38

They try/test them at the young test in Abu Dhabi.

#17109 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:42

They try/test them at the young test in Abu Dhabi.

Yes, but also in Brazil.
Click
Some of these articles make it look, like the tyres were already used in the race itself, but it was probably just in free-practice.

#17110 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:46

Yes, but also in Brazil.
Click
Some of these articles make it look, like the tyres were already used in the race itself, but it was probably just in free-practice.

Tried the compounds in free practice yes, and not even the final ones I assume. In 2012, the tyre construction has changed too, and the full spec tyres were first run in Jerez last week. Seems they are quite different to last year's.

Edited by Szoelloe, 13 February 2012 - 17:49.

#17111 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 23:15

I dont understand this Canada thing, it was an unusual race SC etc, it was a great drive by Schumacher? But he only finished 6 seconds in front of the driving god that is Petrov. :confused:

Rosberg finished the race with a broken nose and front wing.

Schumacher was harassing Vettel for the lead at the restart....

#17112 baddog

baddog

• 23,993 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 00:05

We know Schumi is doing well when the historical revisionism kicks in. Now Canada was just an 'okay' drive? lol

#17113 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:57

assuming by this comment you only "watched" the race afterwards....on a computer by checking the result...

#17114 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:08

Rosberg finished the race with a broken nose and front wing.

Schumacher was harassing Vettel for the lead at the restart....

I need to watch the race again my interest waned a bit after Lewis crashed out, so the main part i remember is Lewis spinning Webber and himself off, then him being quicker than Schumacher which lead to Schumacher forcing him off the track, then of course Lewis crashing into Jenson, so i guess i was feeling a bit mean spirited to Schumacher,

#17115 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:12

assuming by this comment you only "watched" the race afterwards....on a computer by checking the result...

There was so much that happened that i can't recall things, i know strategy played its part somewhat

#17116 MarioKart

MarioKart

• 142 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:03

Mansell was gifted a race win at the age of 41.

Gifted?
To use the cliché: "to finish first, first you have to finish", something which Schumi failed to do in the race.
Nige won pole position in Adelaide and a well deserved win.

You are forgetting one thing: Schumacher last season was most of the time on his way back up after a mostly disappointing 2010, while Mansell in 1995 really struggled to hang on.

And you are forgetting one thing: Schumacher competed in 19 races in 2010 and 19 in 2011. Nige competed in 4 races in 94' . He was jumping back and forth between CART and F1, managing different characteristics of a car, different characteristics of circuits. In 1995 he joined McLaren at the last minute, driving an awful car to handle for 2 races (San Marino and Spain) which consequently led him to his final retirement. Completely different situation.

Mansell got his well deserved championship when he was 39. At 40 he went to the CART-series and won there when it was a good series. Remarkable. He didn't drive that much in 1994 - he replaced Coulthard in France and then did the last 3 races.

:up: :up:
Mansell's achievement in CART is vastly underestimated. To learn new circuits at the age of 40, to learn ovals AND winning in rookie season is amazing IMO. It was a particularly risky move. He was competing for the championship while still recovering from wounds after Phoenix. :smoking:

Nige definitely wasn't the same in 94' but, as you've said, still had a lot of speed.
Of course, Schumi is no longer the same driver he had been. Aging is inevitable process. However, I firmly believe he still has a lot to offer in F1. Unlike Mansell(in 94-95), Schumi's fitness is very good and that's a big plus in race pace. He also has stability in the team which helps greatly.
Schumi was extremely close to winning a podium in Canada last season , and I thoroughly believe that if he were given a great car, he could still do magic! :clap:

Edit:Spelling.

Edited by MarioKart, 14 February 2012 - 06:22.

#17117 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:15

Nobody won in the Mercedes of the last 2 years.

#17118 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:05

Michael And Corinna Schumacher! :rotfl: :lol:

Posted Image

Schumi swaying with the Prince

COLOGNE -
Doll what's going on Monday at the FC-carnival meeting in Sartory, 1600 Jecke settled by Driss game against Hamburg with the good mood.

The players to "Prince Poldi" were pleased with their medals, sports director Volker Finke amused clad in sunglasses and a blond wig, FC fan Michael Schumacher and his wife Corinna schun Celts Walle in orange curls.

Stale Solbakken also coach was very happy, "Here at any rate more than Sunday's mood in the stadium! I like it very much ... "

http://translate.goo...2C11628730.html

Edit: Found a few more pictures from the event.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by merschu, 14 February 2012 - 17:55.

#17119 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,545 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:11

Hahaha. Carnaval is near apparently _O_

Advertisement

#17120 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:21

Nice outfit. You can trust MS to clothe well. I happy for him.

#17121 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:34

I need to watch the race again my interest waned a bit after Lewis crashed out, so the main part i remember is Lewis spinning Webber and himself off, then him being quicker than Schumacher which lead to Schumacher forcing him off the track, then of course Lewis crashing into Jenson, so i guess i was feeling a bit mean spirited to Schumacher,

I guess you owe me an apology then :lol:

#17122 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 17:02

Even finishing a race that chaotic is a good job

Well said and applies for any driver in any "chaotic" wet race.

#17123 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 19:11

For most here this discussion from around the 39 minute mark is very relevant to a lot that's been said by both sides here ....

http://podcast.motor...Pat_Symonds.mp3

#17124 jureF1

jureF1

• 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 19:18

a bit of OT, but you started with the carneval :)
This is what happens if you drink with schumacher:
http://translate.goo...d...tml&act=url

:rotfl:

Edited by jureF1, 14 February 2012 - 19:19.

#17125 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:10

For most here this discussion from around the 39 minute mark is very relevant to a lot that's been said by both sides here ....

http://podcast.motor...Pat_Symonds.mp3

Thanks cheapracer, I really enjoyed listening to all of that, not just the Schumi stuff.

Well if anyone can speak with authority about how good Schumi was in his prime it should be Pat. And he seems to think he was quite good. Will that stop the people who seek to use the fact he isn't as good at 43 from claiming he was never any good because he always had the best car and no opponents? Probably not.

#17126 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 22:20

You should check out the 1954 Mercedes Benz Streamliner if you think there was no aero development and if the cars had less grip at high speed, then you'd agree that they were inherently more dangerous back then, correct? And don't delude yourself into thinking that just because the cornering speeds were slower back then that the cars themselves were slow or that the reflexes of the drivers back then were any less slow than those of todays' drivers, that's rubbish.

Facts:
_lateral and longitudinal accelerations were ridiculous low in 1950's cars because of very low grip
_acceleration accounts for the change in motion
_If the change in motion(acceleration or reaction of the car) is low, then the human reaction needed to cope with it is therefore slower as well.

There is one seriously deluded person in this debate and it's not me

Emmo did win the Indy 500 that year so he might be a good example that some drivers still can drive into their 40s. You might also want to mention Mario and so on, but the series also had a young Paul Tracy and really good racers. As strange as it may sound today there were a lot of talk about F1 vs Cart/Indycar around 1993 and F1 wasn't that far ahead.

I won't compare it regarding competitiveness or driving skills but the downforce levels of F1 cars in 93 were considerably higher than the ones of Cart. Additionally, F1 cars were 150kg lighter. All this leads to a big difference in car's accelerations.

From many sources that I collected throught out the years:
_F1 cars had about 4000 pounds of downforce at 165mph for Monaco configuration back in the 1994 era(before Imola and the afterwards constant restriction in aerodynamics)
_1994 Cart cars had 3460 pounds of downforce, in their highest downforce configuration, at the speed of 165mph

F1 cars with drivers, oils and etc weighted 595kg back then, while Carts weighted 750kg and I don't even know if driver included.

Anyway - I don't think Michael has lost a lot of speed. Maybe a tenth or something. I think it is more about different team, different rules, different racing. And maybe Rosberg is really fast, who knows?

I think Schumacher is faster now at 43 than when he was at 28. I also think Trulli, who was a very good qualifier a while ago, is even faster now at his advanced age.

Therefore, I think Rosberg and Kovalainen are the fastest drivers F1 has ever seen by a very big margin, considering the gaps they sometimes impose to their team mates.

But overall i think he might very likely still lack some pace in Qualifying.

I think only RBR had EBD in 2010. I always thought other teams introduced it only on theirs' 2011 cars. That aside, I also expect to see Rosberg keep faster.

I don't remember this at all.

There was so much that happened that i can't recall things, i know strategy played its part somewhat

Strategy had almost 0% in Schumacher's results in Canada. It was like 99,9% his won driving skill climbing throught the field and posting fast laps.

Edited by Kubiccia, 14 February 2012 - 22:25.

#17127 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,545 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 22:59

Faster at 43 than at 28?? Euhm...

#17128 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 23:07

Faster at 43 than at 28?? Euhm...

I R O .......

#17129 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,545 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 23:11

Never mind, wasn't paying attention :)

#17130 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,832 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 23:33

Facts:
_lateral and longitudinal accelerations were ridiculous low in 1950's cars because of very low grip
_If the change in motion(acceleration or reaction of the car) is low, then the human reaction needed to cope with it is therefore slower as well.

I give up. Ok, anyone's granny could have driven the cars of the '50s then....

#17131 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,551 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:40

Kubiccia - when you write the figures/numbers and compare F1 and Cart in 93 the difference is there. But it's not that big a difference. F1 was of course more technically advanced and all that - but I was just saying Cart was a competetive series.

#17132 MarioKart

MarioKart

• 142 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:14

Michael And Corinna Schumacher! :rotfl: :lol:

Posted Image

http://translate.goo...2C11628730.html

Awesome pics! Schumi looks like Ronald McDonald meets John Lennon in the 1920's :lol:

#17133 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:40

Facts:

Well at least someone "gets it".

Ok, anyone's granny could have driven the cars of the '50s then....

\

No one said that, you simply don't comprehend what skill was required back then ie; not the same skill as is required now. Fangio appeared to have more of that skill than one's Grandmother.

There is a very famous onboard of Fangio in the Maserati at Modena, suggest you watch it and see that no particular fast reactions were required.

Many drivers have been invited by Benz to drive the 1955 GP W196 at demonstrations, it is said Michael Doohan took to it faster than anyone because of his being a bike racer and hence his experience and feel for low grip.

#17134 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,832 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 16:25

Facts:

You did not answer my question. I said that with less grip (amongst other things) at high speed the cars were inherently more dangerous. I also said that just because the cornering speeds were slower that the cars themselves were not slow AND you ignored that point with a response that had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. Of course the human reaction needed to cope would be slower as the cars overall were slower than today's cars, but that is not what I was saying, I said that the drivers' reactions (and I'll include the driver's eyesight) were IMHO just as good as today's. The level of physical fitness and the effort and training that go into being fit enough to drive today's F1 car is far beyond the levels of the 50s but that's the evolution of the sport. I dare say though, that competing in a 3 hour GP back in the 50s with cars capable of and on some tracks attaining top speeds of 180mph+ with brakes that were inadequate to the task at hand, manually shifting gears, no power steering, the engine in the front, etc., etc., and competing on tracks where the smallest of mistake's could result in tragedy was a very strenuous proposition and not the typical Sunday drive in the country that some would believe.

#17135 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 16:30

I think you guys debated long enough about this and it becomes less and less relevant for this thread...

Edited by LiJu914, 15 February 2012 - 16:31.

#17136 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 16:38

I think you guys debated long enough about this and it becomes less and less relevant for this thread...

It has relevance, it is an age based debate that is directly related to MS ie; does being 43 years old affect his driving ability and it's natural that previous great's age might be used as a yardstick.

BTW, have you actually applied to be a Moderator?

#17137 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 16:48

1. It has relevance, it is an age based debate that is directly related to MS ie; does being 43 years old affect his driving ability and it's natural that previous great's age might be used as a yardstick.

2. BTW, have you actually applied to be a Moderator?

1. No it hasn´t. They´re hardly talking about age/loss of potential anymore. But i guess if you would read these last few posts (without knowing the thread title), you would immediatley think of Michael Schumacher, right? :rolleyes:

2. I don´t need to be a moderator to voice my opinion about the relevance of certain discussions for a thread.

Edited by LiJu914, 15 February 2012 - 16:48.

#17138 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 16:53

I give up. Ok, anyone's granny could have driven the cars of the '50s then....

As cheapracer said, I'm not claiming that driving 50's cars were easy, for sure it require talent and skill but the demand in pure reactions were much lower, which allowed for drivers with more age like Fangio, with 46, to be competitive. I don't think Fangio with 57 years old would be able to drive a 50's car but with 46 it was not impossible.

With todays cars, it's already noticeable lack in speed of drivers with high 30's such as Trulli. Do you remember how good Jarno was in qualifyings against team mates such as Alonso, Ralf(who was on par with Montoya in Williams days) and etc?

As reference, last year it was 15-2 for Kovalainen in qualifying(Chandok replaced Jarno in Germany) with some quite big gaps in the following tracks: 9 tenths in Istanbul, 1 second in Barcelona, 1,6s in Silverstone and 9 tenths in Abu Dhabi.

Trulli didn't stop for 3 years and is a bit more than 5 years younger than Schumacher.

I think is valid for some people to think that Schumacher was a mediocre driver who only had rockets, rules for him, bad oponents and etc. They use the situation with Rosberg now to claim that we finally see the "truth", he was a fraud of a driver, he was never that fast and etc.

I shall repeat it is a right for anyone here to have and post those views, however, if you do so, then you must also claim that Trulli was never that fast, now Kovalainen is proving Trulli was never a great qualifier and etc.

Are we all for consistency or not?

#17139 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 17:08

I think is valid for some people to think that Schumacher was a mediocre driver who only had rockets, rules for him, bad oponents and etc. They use the situation with Rosberg now to claim that we finally see the "truth", he was a fraud of a driver, he was never that fast and etc.

I believe you worry a bit too much about Schumacher's legacy. Did super-greats such as Muhammed Ali, Björn Borg, Michael Jordan and Lance Armstrong hurt their reputation by their less than stellar comebacks? Temporarily, yes, but in the history books it did not diminish their standings one bit. Same is true for Schumacher (who is btw better faring than each of them).

Advertisement

#17140 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,832 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 17:15

Are we all for consistency or not?

I think we are and the point of it being is that the great drivers have that extra something that gives them the competitive edge. That's why I think that Schumacher at 43 is still extremely competitive, has the skills and capability, and given the proper tools is more than capable of winning again.

#17141 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 17:40

I think we are and the point of it being is that the great drivers have that extra something that gives them the competitive edge. That's why I think that Schumacher at 43 is still extremely competitive, has the skills and capability, and given the proper tools is more than capable of winning again.

I will go as far as say if Schu was driving the RB7 with Webber as a teammate not only he'd win races but the WDC as well.He still got it.

#17142 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 17,482 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 17:56

Posts deleted; please don't snipe at other posters if you don't have anything constructive to add.

On the matter of relevance; I do see the topic under discussion (age) as being hugely relevant to Michael Schumacher because it is regularly mentioned in relation to his comeback. However, I also think it would make a great topic for a separate thread, which may get useful contributions from posters who are not just interested in Schumie or avoid these driver threads. It's an interesting discussion that deserves a wider audience but might be lost here on page 427-9 interspersed with pics of a man and his wife wearing a wig.

I'm happy to try and split the discussion so if I get more than two PM's confirming that it's a good idea I'll give it a go, otherwise please don't comment here.

-----------
As a matter of interest, I did a search for threads that might already be discussing age and reactions etc that I might link these posts to and found this gem from 2001

"Is Schumacher past his prime?"

A little premature, that one.

#17143 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 18:13

He'll need a hell of car and I'm not that confident Mercedes will provide it this year. And to be completely honest, I'll be surprised if MSC scores even a podium this year.

#17144 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,832 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:03

http://www.f1banter....game-chess.html

#17145 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,834 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:52

I will go as far as say if Schu was driving the RB7 with Webber as a teammate not only he'd win races but the WDC as well.He still got it.

Of course he would have. RB7 was like F2002.

Edited by George Costanza, 20 February 2012 - 02:56.

#17146 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,545 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:14

That statement alone is something I disagree with. RB7 is a very strong package overall but on pure power not as dominant as F2002 and F2004 were. But Schumacher would probably end up on the podium with it, I'm sure.

http://www.f1banter....game-chess.html

:well:

Edited by Jejking, 20 February 2012 - 10:23.

#17147 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,832 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:43

http://www.f1banter....domination.html

#17148 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,545 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 13:16

Dude, it's not even close to funny. Nobody's laughing.

#17149 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 13:30

He'll need a hell of car and I'm not that confident Mercedes will provide it this year. And to be completely honest, I'll be surprised if MSC scores even a podium this year.

I can't understand why you would post that a week or 2 before you actually see the car in testing - you would have said exactly the same about Button/Rubens/Brawn in January 2009 ....

#17150 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,832 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 14:04

Dude, it's not even close to funny. Nobody's laughing.

then don't read it.....dude.