Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20771 replies to this topic

#17301 chrisaix

chrisaix

• 67 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:21

Szoelloe
Thinking about it again. I don't have time now to search for it but, thinking again, I don't know if the EBD, itself, would jeopardize Schumacher driving style. Actually, wouldn't he benefit from it? I mean because he "plays" more with the throttle, he benefits from downforce he get's from staying longer with right pedal pressed. Isn't the engine mapping which would jeopardize Schumacher driving style? a device which would unable him to play with the throttle during cornering. Later. I'll try to find when Mercedes introduced their engine mapping.

PS:This was a genuine question, I'm not trying to prove a point with this post.

I think you are spot on mate. Beacuse of the engine mapping michael can no longer play with the throttle and brakes, i think its just like driving a manual and automatic gearing.

Advertisement

#17302 baddog

baddog

• 23,995 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:15

Szoelloe
Thinking about it again. I don't have time now to search for it but, thinking again, I don't know if the EBD, itself, would jeopardize Schumacher driving style. Actually, wouldn't he benefit from it? I mean because he "plays" more with the throttle, he benefits from downforce he get's from staying longer with right pedal pressed. Isn't the engine mapping which would jeopardize Schumacher driving style? a device which would unable him to play with the throttle during cornering. Later. I'll try to find when Mercedes introduced their engine mapping.

PS:This was a genuine question, I'm not trying to prove a point with this post.

Sort of yes. The suggestion is that a system which automatically blows the diffuser when the throttle is released disadvantages a driver who based part of their technique on using the throttle under braking/through the corner as he is simply not allowed to do so (This much we know, having actually heard Michael being told not to use the throttle under braking). While it is plausible that an EBD might be used without an automated system, it is hard to imagine variable downforce in a corner in response to throttle action being anything but a disaster.. but maybe it could work.

#17303 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:05

One of my mates works in Quarantine at Sydney Int. Airport.
Told me he seen Schuey & Lewis last night coming through off an Emirates flight.

#17304 Sof1

Sof1

• 611 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:18

Told me he seen Schuey & Lewis last night coming through off an Emirates flight.

Schuey travels on his private jet, i doubt he would be using Emirates (not that its not good).

#17305 baddog

baddog

• 23,995 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:56

Schuey travels on his private jet, i doubt he would be using Emirates (not that its not good).

Are you sure he private jets to Oz? its a very long way..

#17306 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:00

he has in the past used his private jet to get to Melbourne
btw Shaun - did you manage to spot NR in NZ..he landed there last week

Edited by Raelene, 12 March 2012 - 06:00.

#17307 black magic

black magic

• 3,960 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:12

I thought they all came commercial to oz due to costs

#17308 baddog

baddog

• 23,995 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:19

he has in the past used his private jet to get to Melbourne
btw Shaun - did you manage to spot NR in NZ..he landed there last week

No, I thought I did but it was just a couple of teenage girls on a night out..

Seriously didn't even know he was here though.

#17309 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:19

a number of years ago I know RS came private as he stopped in Auckland on his way..

#17310 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:30

Ralf, Michael & Willi flew with Qantas several years ago..i know that for a fact.
Anyway, my mate seen Schuey last night...

#17311 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 7,426 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:49

Ralf, Michael & Willi flew with Qantas several years ago..i know that for a fact.
Anyway, my mate seen Schuey last night...

Perhaps it's more cost effective to fly commercial to Australia, he would have to pay a lot more to fuel up his jet...

#17312 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 734 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 16:15

Perhaps it's more cost effective to fly commercial to Australia, he would have to pay a lot more to fuel up his jet...

I doubt any decision made on air transport is down to cost, he's not exactly strapped for cash is he?;)

Edited by Schumacher7, 12 March 2012 - 16:33.

#17313 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 16:21

Posted Image
:p

#17314 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,836 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 16:28

Who is all ready for the FP1 and the season?? It should be a great weekend. I hope Schu can show some magic...

#17315 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 16:40

I doubt any decision made on air transport is down to cost, he's not exactly strapped for cash is he?;)

I'd much rather fly first class on A380 to Oz from Europe rather than small and noisy private jet.

#17316 Sof1

Sof1

• 611 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 16:42

I can't wait for Friday. I really hope this year Schumi will give us something special.

Edited by Sof1, 12 March 2012 - 16:42.

#17317 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,957 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 17:07

I'd much rather fly first class on A380 to Oz from Europe rather than small and noisy private jet.

The Dassault he owns is hardly small and noisy. I think he travels with the team between the fly-away races.

#17318 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 17:18

I have posted the picture of Schumi's private jet before but here it is again. ;)

It's pretty big compared to the other private jets in this picture.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by merschu, 12 March 2012 - 17:25.

#17319 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 756 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 17:26

Posted Image

Advertisement

#17320 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 756 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 17:27

There should be an F1 car parked under it for comparison!

#17321 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 17:30

Hope he de-liced them.

Did you all notice the registration on MS's jet? - M-IKEL (Michael)!

Edited by cheapracer, 12 March 2012 - 17:32.

#17322 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 17:49

Jesus, not posting his private jet again...

#17323 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 18:08

Sounds like his wife is not joining him on this trip then?

#17324 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 19:24

Hope he de-liced them.

Did you all notice the registration on MS's jet? - M-IKEL (Michael)!

Don't lie :rotfl: :)

#17325 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:10

Going back a bit to the engine mapping discussion:

Here's a comment taken from a Scarb's article(not from Scarb's himself):

Kyle R on July 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm said:

The Mercedes of Schumacher in particular, was heard to have a rather raspy sound on corner entry when they started running the system in Valencia. It was even noticed by a fan in the stands, and texted to the practice commentators – they mentioned it on air. Obviously every team will have slightly different results, but this is indicative of the retarded ignition on over-run. He (Schumacher) was also warned during practice at Silverstone, that the SECU may pull the anti stall if you maintain too much throttle and brake at the same time (which is what would be required to keep the throttle plate open, and allow the airflow required for this system to work on corner entry.

source:http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/red-bull-map-q-the-secret-to-the-teams-q3-pace/

If this engine mapping really affected Schumacher's pace in a considerable way, then I guess we might be able to see it this year. Or not, as the EBD is still used by everybody, eventhough limited, and I guess engine mapping would still be used to keep exhaust airflow constant.

In Silvestone 2001, IIRC, the engine mapping was heavily restricted and Schumacher qualified almost 4 tenths slower than Nico, so I shall stay carefull on this

Edited by Kubiccia, 13 March 2012 - 01:13.

#17326 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:25

source:http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/red-bull-map-q-the-secret-to-the-teams-q3-pace/

If this engine mapping really affected Schumacher's pace in a considerable way, then I guess we might be able to see it this year. Or not, as the EBD is still used by everybody, eventhough limited, and I guess engine mapping would still be used to keep exhaust airflow constant.

In Silvestone 2001, IIRC, the engine mapping was heavily restricted and Schumacher qualified almost 4 tenths slower than Nico, so I shall stay carefull on this

Hmm I don't where I stand on this.

I just think Michael is having a tough time adjusting to the new formula: but I'm sure he will adapt this year fully.

We saw signs of it last yr.

#17327 rksonAJ

rksonAJ

• 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:29

Here is a comment i found in JAonF1 website provided by a user:
"Michael's pace at Silverstone, where he set numerous fastest laps and finished just 15s behind Nico despite doing a whole lap with a broken wing, an extra pit stop AND a 10s stop/go penalty suggest we could see him improve his performance with the EBD ban"

#17328 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:10

I just read somewhere else that hot blowing is banned, so that may help him

#17329 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:29

The Mercedes of Schumacher in particular, was heard to have a rather raspy sound on corner entry when they started running the system in Valencia. It was even noticed by a fan in the stands,......... .

Now seriously this is what I refer to about 1994 and the bullshit about traction control - apparently out of millions of fans, thousands of experienced Journo's and hundreds of F1 engineers trackside no one but one man, ie; Senna, can distinguish that the Benetton had TC! :rotfl:

#17330 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:42

True :up: .

#17331 repeatoffender

repeatoffender

• 81 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:06

If it will help him, the haters will cry that FIA banned it to help MS.

#17332 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:00

If you wonder what is the view from Schumacher grandstand:
http://t.co/sua4rSWM
To turn 16:
Posted Image
To turn 15:
Posted Image

Edited by ivand911, 13 March 2012 - 09:05.

#17333 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:35

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier told AUTOSPORT:

"The tyres are going to make things very interesting. If you push too hard in qualifying then you are going to be screwed for the first part of the race – and if you pit too early it may mean you need to make an extra stop".

Sound familiar to any drivers ... ;)

#17334 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:46

Here is a comment i found in JAonF1 website provided by a user:
"Michael's pace at Silverstone, where he set numerous fastest laps and finished just 15s behind Nico despite doing a whole lap with a broken wing, an extra pit stop AND a 10s stop/go penalty suggest we could see him improve his performance with the EBD ban"

Facts:

From lap 18 (the next after penalty) to the end (lap 52) gap went from 17.9 to 17.2. They stopped once, Nico pitted for used softs, while Schumi got new options. The smallest difference - 16.7, the biggest - 19.1. Faster laps - NR 15 : 17 MS. Fastest lap - NR 1:37.073, MS 1:37.034.

So at Silverstone they were matched with heavily restricted EBD, while at Nurburgring with normal EBD Schumi was faster during stints, but finished behind Nico after, surprise, mistake and spin. Yep, Silverstone result definitely suggests EBD ban can improve his performance in relation to Nico :drunk:.

Also there was no extra pit stop for Schumi, it's outright lie. As is the part about "numerous fastest laps".

#17335 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 13:08

If you wonder what is the view from Schumacher grandstand:
http://t.co/sua4rSWM
To turn 16:
Posted Image
To turn 15:
Posted Image

I've sat in that stand, not a great view...in fact not much a great view anywhere on that circuit.
Have sat in pretty much most stands...over the past 12 years.
Been to Sepang...1 word = Awesome viewing for F1 cars.

#17336 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 13:10

BILD READERS ASKING RECORD WORLD CHAMPION MICHAEL SCHUMACHER

Our greatest racing driver Michael Schumacher won seven world championship titles in Formula 1, more than any other. Since 2010, he goes for Mercedes waiting, still on his first win for the Silver Arrows

The Formula 1 fans are counting the hours ...
Starts on Sunday the 63rd Season in Melbourne (7 clock, Sky and RTL) -. With a big German duel Sebastian Vettel (24) goes to his third consecutive title record against world champion Michael Schumacher (43) , the seven-time champion. Before Schumacher answered questions exclusively to BILD readers.

Can you really show Vettel again, where is the hammer?
René Krahl, Herne (NRW)
Schumacher: "The fact that I try, but I'm there. I'm sure we would find it great both against each other to fight. "

What makes a race car driver, if your nose itches or face?
Marcus Meier standing. Stuhr / Brinkum (Lower Saxony)
Michael Schumacher: "We tried to ignore it, something else is not the point. This maybe a little story. With 32 years ago I suddenly developed some allergies, and has appeared for the first time in the race at Magny Cours 2001 - I drive down the line and must suddenly sneeze several times! Not exactly what you want with Ballaclava (fireproof hood face, the editor) and helmet on his head. Was not so easy, then hit the perfect braking point ... "

Now time where his mouth is: How strong is the new Mercedes-W03 really?
Andre Fischer, Bendorf (Rhineland-Palatinate)
Schumacher: "To be honest: We all know you! I know it's hard to imagine that you are not here is safe, but the fact is: it is so. Formula 1 is just incredibly complex, and we simply know too little about the other teams. But the W03 is clearly a step forward. The question is just how big the step compared with that of our opponent. You have to really wait for the first race.

Suppose everyone had in Formula 1, an equally strong car. Do you think that you were a title contender?
Joshua Kurtz, Spreenhagen (Brandenburg)
MS: "Yes. Maybe I'm not quite the same as with the middle 20 or 30, but I'm clearly not good enough for the leaders in today's Formula 1 "

You have recently said that Switzerland was your home. Why not sign up to be a Swiss citizen and completely?
Matthias Frank, Schwarzenberg (Saxony)
Schumacher: "Because I am proud to be German. That for me is the home where my family is, and that we were in Switzerland for many years to feel at home, does not mean that we will not still be wearing it in the heart of Germany. I think if you like me since a young age traveling and living in different countries, one has a different idea of home as someone who had his center of life never change.

Why do not you listen to and enjoy your life with your family?
Yvonne Fenes
Schumacher: "Because racing is my passion and I do not have to stop to enjoy my life with my family. When I started again with the Formula 1, was one of the reasons that the current formula is much less time-consuming one as in my "first career" - then we had after each race, test drives, today during the season did not. I have plenty of time for my family. Otherwise, clearly, there would be no comeback for me. "

Did you afraid to die, or do you believe in life after death?
From David Courts, Hasselt (Belgium)
Schumacher: "I'm not afraid to die, no. I believe in fate, the fact that one should live his life according to their taste. If the tiles are known to, you can not influence the eh '. So you have to be a gambler, but you can not even bury home. That was always my motto. "

Why do you tweet do not like many other sports stars?
Kathakoli Roy, Calcutta (India)
Schumacher: "I privacy important. I think most of these unnecessary details there, and frankly to me is my time to be valuable. "

If you can afford everything, then we can look forward to anything?
Marita Wittig, Vreden (NRW)
Schumacher: "Clearly, the finer things in life are indeed not just the ones you can buy. The best example would be a victory this year. "

Google Translated article. http://translate.goo...3Dgo.off.edpick

http://www.bild.de/s...c=go.off.edpick

Edited by merschu, 13 March 2012 - 13:17.

#17337 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 13:11

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier told AUTOSPORT:

"The tyres are going to make things very interesting. If you push too hard in qualifying then you are going to be screwed for the first part of the race – and if you pit too early it may mean you need to make an extra stop".

Sound familiar to any drivers ...;)

Yeah is sound familiar. But, they say rear tyres are stronger and you can push them more? And now this. So 2011.

From BILD article:
Suppose everyone had in Formula 1, an equally strong car. Do you think that you were a title contender?
Joshua Kurtz, Spreenhagen (Brandenburg)
MS: "Yes. Maybe I'm not quite the same as with the middle 20 or 30, but I'm clearly still good enough for the leaders in today's Formula 1 "

Edited by ivand911, 13 March 2012 - 13:24.

#17338 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:06

Facts:

From lap 18 (the next after penalty) to the end (lap 52) gap went from 17.9 to 17.2. They stopped once, Nico pitted for used softs, while Schumi got new options. The smallest difference - 16.7, the biggest - 19.1. Faster laps - NR 15 : 17 MS. Fastest lap - NR 1:37.073, MS 1:37.034.

So at Silverstone they were matched with heavily restricted EBD, while at Nurburgring with normal EBD Schumi was faster during stints, but finished behind Nico after, surprise, mistake and spin. Yep, Silverstone result definitely suggests EBD ban can improve his performance in relation to Nico :drunk:.

Also there was no extra pit stop for Schumi, it's outright lie. As is the part about "numerous fastest laps".

I don't even know if engine mapping ban had an effect on race pace. Maybe this was a mistake from James Allen. IIRC, the hot blowing is only used in qualifying because it's overheats parts of the rear and takes way more fuel, so they used an agressive mapping for Q2/Q3 then change it for the race.

If Schumi could play with the throttle in the race and not in qualifying, then his much stronger race pace compared to qualifying in 2011, would suggest that the "engine map theory" might be plausible.

Just as curiosity, in 2010 with no engine mappin/hot blowing..... Schumacher qualified half tenth slower than Nico in Australia, while with the restrictions in throttle for 2011 qualifying, it went to over half second.

Edited by Kubiccia, 14 March 2012 - 01:07.

#17339 abulafiaF1

abulafiaF1

• 156 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:16

I thought you guys might be interested in this article on driving styles and Michael Schumacher that I just posted. I am really keen on hearing your thoughts about it.....

:)

Advertisement

#17340 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:19

Jesus, not posting his private jet again...

I didn't post it my son.

#17341 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:34

</B>

Google Translated article. http://translate.goo...3Dgo.off.edpick

http://www.bild.de/s...c=go.off.edpick

The translation is little messy, especially where he was asked whether in the car he would be a title contender. The answer was yes, but next statement says - I am not good enough for current... Oh sorry, Ivan has already corrected that.

Edited by Sakae, 14 March 2012 - 11:36.

#17342 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 13:11

I didn't post it my son.

And my post wasn't directed at you, father.

#17343 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 13:21

And my post wasn't directed at you, father.

:drunk: :lol:

#17344 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 15:32

I thought you guys might be interested in this article on driving styles and Michael Schumacher that I just posted. I am really keen on hearing your thoughts about it.....

:)

The article is absolutely pleasure to read, Abu, and I am extremely happy and feel privileged that you have joined us in this thread.

#17345 abulafiaF1

abulafiaF1

• 156 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 15:46

The article is absolutely pleasure to read, Abu, and I am extremely happy and feel privileged that you have joined us in this thread.

Thanks mate - I am really happy you liked it! :D

#17346 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 15:51

Thanks mate - I am really happy you liked it! :D

:up: :up:

#17347 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:45

I don't even know if engine mapping ban had an effect on race pace. Maybe this was a mistake from James Allen. IIRC, the hot blowing is only used in qualifying because it's overheats parts of the rear and takes way more fuel, so they used an agressive mapping for Q2/Q3 then change it for the race.

If Schumi could play with the throttle in the race and not in qualifying, then his much stronger race pace compared to qualifying in 2011, would suggest that the "engine map theory" might be plausible.

Just as curiosity, in 2010 with no engine mappin/hot blowing..... Schumacher qualified half tenth slower than Nico in Australia, while with the restrictions in throttle for 2011 qualifying, it went to over half second.

1. It wasn't even Allen's comment, it was some random guy's opinion.

2. Ross Brawn doesn't mention anything other than simple explanation:

Nico just seems to have more of an intuitive ability to get the most out of the tyres on one lap. In the races, where it's a more consistent process, there's nothing to tell between the two of them. There are some races where Nico's dominant and some where Michael's very strong. I don't know if he will find the difference in qualifying, because Nico is very special in those circumstances, one of the best I've seen. At the moment Michael hasn't understood how he can get that.

http://www.guardian....cedes-interview

#17348 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 21:49

Also there was none of this engine mapping in 2010

#17349 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:23

Few pictures of Michael from Australia.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Saw another picture from a fan on twitter:

I met Michael Schumacher! I broke down in tears! He blew me a kiss!!!! Happiest day of my life!
https://twitter.com/#!/MariellaTschur/s...6041728/photo/1
Posted Image

Edited by merschu, 15 March 2012 - 06:58.

#17350 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 728 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:24

That small kid! Awesome!