Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#17351 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:57

That kid is SOOOOOO cute!!! I want to hug it :cat:

i'd rather hug Michael - he's looking pretty hot!

Advertisement

#17352 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,322 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:34

Herbert is the 4th steward

:eek: :down:

#17353 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,558 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:08

1. It wasn't even Allen's comment, it was some random guy's opinion.

2. Ross Brawn doesn't mention anything other than simple explanation:

But you surely want to provide us with the name of Some Random Guy?

-

Those pics above me looks like he is in pretty good shape, that kid with the Schumacher helmet and Schumacher signing it is simply awesome, haha. Thanks for the share & laugh.

Edited by Jejking, 15 March 2012 - 10:09.

#17354 Polle

Polle

• 292 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:09

i'd rather hug Michael - he's looking pretty hot!

Can't disagree with you, the man is so fit, he looks younger than some other drivers on the grid!

#17355 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:49

Herbert is the 4th steward

:eek: :down:

I was hoping that driver-steward setup was going to be cancelled. I am not sure how fair it is to Schumacher. In any other legal system Herbert should excuse himslef from any decision on Schumacher. Based on his comments in Monaco a few years back I think he should not be there at all.

#17356 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,708 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:05

I was hoping that driver-steward setup was going to be cancelled. I am not sure how fair it is to Schumacher. In any other legal system Herbert should excuse himslef from any decision on Schumacher. Based on his comments in Monaco a few years back I think he should not be there at all.

what comments?

#17357 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,558 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:11

Thanks mate - I am really happy you liked it! :D

Reading the stuff now. It looks and smells like a gem, a very good analysis. Except for the Spain 1994 part, he had both 1st and 5th gear as I understood later on. In fifth gear you can't pull up several times from 0 to X without melting the clutch. He drove in 5th pretty much all race long except for the stops :) Not done reading yet!

Ok, for the sake of argument, can you go into my theory.

I see:
- Schumacher lost some of his speed, his natural feel for the limit in dry conditions and qualifyings.
- Schumacher has plenty of experience and racecraft.
- Schumacher is since 2010 on compensating, with 2011 going a lot better than the first year of his comeback.
- Schumacher still has a lot of response and craft in the bag, considering his performances in the wet. Belgium 2010 and Canada 2011.
- The rain edges off the ultimate need for perfection currently required in dry F1 racing. Suddenly MSC is back into play, mixing it up at the top.

Makes:
1. If the train goes around slower (rain) he finds himself standing in a very good position. His reflexes and sense of the limit have only let him down for topnotch dry weather driving and pushing. When the absolute pace drops, he's up there. What do you think of this?
2. If the tyres would have been rock solid and everybody kept pushing all race long like they were in 2010 (Schumacher in bad shape, a bit due to the sport having changed in three years + slight drop off in the limit feeling department + the time needed for comeback), how would Michael have shaped up in 2011 and/or 2012. I think he might have had a bigger problem, contradicting the guys calling for 'going flatout for X laps was Schumachers strong point and now he can't use that anymore' since the ultimate dry pace is slightly off. Your opinion?

Edited by Jejking, 15 March 2012 - 12:22.

#17358 abulafiaF1

abulafiaF1

• 156 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:19

Reading the stuff now. It looks and smells like a gem, a very good analysis. Except for the Spain 1994 part, he had both 1st and 5th gear as I understood later on. In fifth gear you can't pull up several times from 0 to X without melting the clutch. He drove in 5th pretty much all race long except for the stops :) Not done reading yet!

Thanks mate!! :wave:

However, Schumi didn't have 1st gear - he was stuck in 5th... From grandprix.com, the race report (link)

As the stops were taking place Schumacher began to have gear selection problems. The car was stuck in fifth gear but somehow Schumacher pitted and rejoined in the lead without stalling. He was overtaken by Hakkinen on lap 23 with Hill second and Schumacher third.

Hakkinen pitted again and so Hill went ahead with Schumacher second. Hakkinen was clawing his way back while Lehto was a lonely fourth ahead of Brundle and Irvine. When the others pitted Schumacher went ahead again. Once again Michael completed a pit stop with only fifth gear. This put Hill back in the lead but Schumacher was only a few seconds behind with Hakkinen shadowing him. The Finn was right behind the Benetton when his engine blew on lap 48. Lehto inherited third but his engine also hit trouble and he dropped away to retire.

This put Brundle up to third, half a minute behind Schumacher, who was slipping further and further behind Hill, but he retired close to the finish and so Blundell took third for Tyrrell with Irvine and Pierluigi Martini (Minardi) picking up the remaining points.

Edited by abulafiaF1, 15 March 2012 - 12:19.

#17359 abulafiaF1

abulafiaF1

• 156 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:23

...and here he is, stuck in 5th...

Onboard MS, Barcelona 1994

Advertisement

#17360 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,558 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:43

Thanks mate!! :wave:

However, Schumi didn't have 1st gear - he was stuck in 5th... From grandprix.com, the race report (link)

As the stops were taking place Schumacher began to have gear selection problems. The car was stuck in fifth gear but somehow Schumacher pitted and rejoined in the lead without stalling. He was overtaken by Hakkinen on lap 23 with Hill second and Schumacher third.

Hakkinen pitted again and so Hill went ahead with Schumacher second. Hakkinen was clawing his way back while Lehto was a lonely fourth ahead of Brundle and Irvine. When the others pitted Schumacher went ahead again. Once again Michael completed a pit stop with only fifth gear. This put Hill back in the lead but Schumacher was only a few seconds behind with Hakkinen shadowing him. The Finn was right behind the Benetton when his engine blew on lap 48. Lehto inherited third but his engine also hit trouble and he dropped away to retire.

This put Brundle up to third, half a minute behind Schumacher, who was slipping further and further behind Hill, but he retired close to the finish and so Blundell took third for Tyrrell with Irvine and Pierluigi Martini (Minardi) picking up the remaining points.

Well, to be honest, I never took that first gear theory for granted, always thought it was 5th gear all day long too.

Stumbling around Barcelona going between 1st and 5th was a no-brainer anyway, it would only damage the car (gearbox/clutch) even more plus it would result in time loss ;) But the pitlane was another story, I checked that SpeedTV review of the race and iirc: since the commentators were blabbering on I couldn't hear if Schumacher was pulling up in first or fifth. That's the problem I have with that situation, but this source looks legit to me :) Thanks!

#17361 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 13:42

Damon Hill interviewing MS, I am looking forward to it. :p

#17362 Igorr

Igorr

• 235 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 14:37

im so dissapointed with the organisation for the autograph sessions, especially for the top 4 teams. Basically, there were people waiting for MS more than 4 hours and they still didnt get the autograph. Maybe next year they should choose the first 50 or 100 people who are in the line and say that there is no point waiting, not like this.. So many people were dissapointed.

#17363 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 14:39

im so dissapointed with the organisation for the autograph sessions, especially for the top 4 teams. Basically, there were people waiting for MS more than 4 hours and they still didnt get the autograph. Maybe next year they should choose the first 50 or 100 people who are in the line and say that there is no point waiting, not like this.. So many people were dissapointed.

It is always like that I think.Everywhere. But, did you see him?

#17364 Igorr

Igorr

• 235 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 14:52

yeah and i can say that he looks younger than 90% of the whole field lol i also saw vettel, di resta, hulkenberg, senna, maldonado, button, hamilton, ricciardo, rosberg and few more lol. The funniest thing was from the whole session that lasted for about 25 mins, MSC had minimum of 5 people around him taking photos, autograpsh etc compared to Rosberg who was just nodding his head on the music that was going in the background lol if MSC signed 100 autographs, ROS did maybe 20 :) i felt sorry for the guy

#17365 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,483 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 16:48

Eddie Irvine:

But Michael Schumacher shouldn't be there in my opnion [sic]. End of. What's he doing there? I'm embarrassed for him. After the first year when he hadn't got up to speed it was obvious he had lost it. He's one of the greatest drivers there's ever been and he can't beat Rosberg!

http://plus.autospor...beating-vettel/

:rolleyes:

#17366 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 17:27

Eddie Irvine:

http://plus.autospor...beating-vettel/

:rolleyes:

:rotfl:

I'd love to see Irvine back in F1.

Forget that he wouldn't have the balls to show his face.

#17367 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,814 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 19:47

Eddie isn't completely wrong.

Michael 1.0 would have destroyed Nico by now.

#17368 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,483 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 19:51

Eddie isn't completely wrong.

Michael 1.0 would have destroyed Nico by now.

I agree, but suggesting that "He shouldn't be there" is a little far-fetched, in my humble opinion. Schumacher v2.0 can still fight and beat Rosberg. That's another motivation and challenge for both himself and his admirers. It's not that he's 1 second off the pace or anything. He's there, fighting at 43.

#17369 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,077 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 21:32

With all respect,but i don't think Rosberg would be destroyed,i am sure he could challenge all top drivers of today and young Schumacher.

Young Schumacher would win,yes ! i think so,want a monster race pace he ever had but i don't get this rosberg sucks.

I think Rosberg is the best team mate he ever had,with old piquet snr.

Edited by Boxerevo, 15 March 2012 - 21:33.

#17370 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 21:37

History of Racing by MS is yet to be written, and only after he has hang his helmet on the nail in his garage for good.

#17371 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 22:09

With Mr Bitter (aka Herbert) as a Steward, you can all but guarantee a drive through for Michael.

#17372 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 22:31

when he's lapping the field it won't matter! Ahhhhh nightmare.

#17373 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:01

I've put £10 E/W on Schumacher to place 1,2,3 @ 1/5 the odds.
Great returns of £284 on the Schumacher bet so fingers crossed! Money aside I'd be thrilled if he got a podium and if he got the win itself I'd donate the winnings to charity cause that win would be worth more than any money! :D :D

Go Schumi!

#17374 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:04

i have a year long bet with a mate - loser pays for the winner to go to gp of their choice

I picked MSC yesterday (all picks before FP1)

#17375 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 756 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:43

Few pictures of Michael from Australia.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Saw another picture from a fan on twitter:

From the first pic, i can't help but notice, MS does looks much fitter now. His arms, biceps, forearms and shoulders looks toned. He must have been training intensively in the winter.

#17376 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:44

From the first pic, i can't help but notice, MS does looks much fitter now. His arms, biceps, forearms and shoulders looks toned. He must have been training intensively in the winter.

Yep he looks better this season :S.

#17377 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:03

Schumacher Drivin, sparks flyin ---- Give it to me baby!!!

#17378 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:04

he looks very comfortable :)

#17379 Igorr

Igorr

• 235 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:06

hopefully tomorrow this time we'll have even bigger smile on our faces :D

Advertisement

#17380 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,322 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:08

Go Michael! :) We are ready for the 92th!

Edited by Tarzaan, 16 March 2012 - 07:09.

#17381 BRK

BRK

• 3,653 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:09

He was on fire at the same track and under the same conditions a couple of years ago as well, the issue they've had BOTH these seasons was that hey would go the wrong way with the setup between Friday and Saturday and suddenly the car would be a brick to drive. Let's hope that doesn't start happening again. No idea where the car is on pace at he moment, maybe 3rd or 4th fastest at best.

#17382 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:11

i still don't understand why people are so excited because of Free practice...how long have you guys been watching F1..

don't get excited until qualy at the earliest IMO

#17383 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:16

I guess we are excited just because we see our long time favorite driver driving with determination.

#17384 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:17

We're excited not becuz Schumi is P1 but becuz he is drivin like the champ from before!!! He was so on it. Thats all I care for. Seeing him drive flat out and a bit over the edge. Does anyone know anything about what Front Wing Problems Schumacher had that they had to change it?

#17385 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:17

maybe I'm just jaded - I've probably been watching him a lot longer..Free Practice means very very little....

#17386 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:21

The main thing to take is not that he finished p1, more that he looked a whole lot more comfortable in the car, the steering inputs seem smoother from the onboard we have seem - but its very early days.

#17387 monaco

monaco

• 161 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:31

Watching Schumi drive for the last 16 years has not diminished the excitement felt when he drives like he owns the track :clap:

#17388 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:31

I know it's just free practice but P1 in FP2 and Schumi is trending worldwide on twitter..! :)

#17389 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,483 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:40

maybe I'm just jaded - I've probably been watching him a lot longer..Free Practice means very very little....

You're nitpicking. Everyone here knows what the bloody hell a practice session is. It's not for you to step up and ruin the party. Just leave people alone. Everyone might have their own reason to be excited be it practice session be it race day, captain obvious. What does it make difference if you feel excited and you can't help it? Would you be satisfied to ruin it, to make people realize that actually it's not worthed? What's the gain there to be had? People are waiting for a bomb to blow up for 2 years now. It's only natural. Besides, Schumacher's steering inputs were way better than last year. That was a positive sign for everybody who is looking for one, ffs. Whether it's classified for forever-and-ever-F1-watcher-yourself as a positive sign is upto you and you only. Others have found a reason to be excited. So be respectful to those and not try to belittle as if they have just started to watch Formula 1 yesterday.

#17390 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:44

maybe you should be respectful of my opinion as well.......

I've been on these threads for years - All these people who are now jumping up and down with excitement are the same people who when people do it about MSC teammate - are the first to cry "it's only practice".

I'll be excited when he's in P1 - on the grid....

#17391 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:50

maybe you should be respectful of my opinion as well.......

I'm guessing it's difficult for them to do because you subtly mention how long you've been around and talk as if everyone should know as much as you do. You make people feel dumb for thinking what they think.

#17392 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:53

I can't help how people feel.

#17393 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:00

Yes, you can. By stop making stupido comments.

#17394 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:01

You're right, you definitely can't change what they feel. But if you see a trend of people feeling that way, perhaps it would pay to switch up your approach if you care for them to give weight to your opinions. Then again, it's an internet forum so it's unreasonable to bend over backwards if you don't feel like doing so.

#17395 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:05

The thing I take most out of this, was that not only was he smooth, but he was switched the tyres on from lap 1. He didn't really spool up to it. That for me is worth getting excited over.

#17396 pUs

pUs

• 2,577 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:09

Ok, I didn't watch either FP1 or FP2. From you who were watching it, how did he look? If we try to ignore the times, was there any noticeable difference from last year?

#17397 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:12

he looked more at ease and more confident

#17398 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:12

Quite clear Mercedes won;t be fighting with Williams/Sauber/FI. Could Cheapracer clean up the aisle of humility, thank you.

#17399 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:14

Yes, you can. By stop making stupido comments.

I'm not the one making stupid comments

I'm just trying to save people...we all complained last year when the anti's did this over FP.... you don't want it to come back and bite you on the a$$ do you....if after FP they go back to their normal position.... as I said - get excitied at Qualy - that's when they are going for it - not in FP when we have no idea about anyone's program

I'm actually helping the MSC fans - of which I am a huge one :wave:

Edited by Raelene, 16 March 2012 - 08:16.

Advertisement

#17400 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:14

http://www.motorspor...cke-besser.html

He says the handling of the car is a LOT better than with the W02