Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#17401 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:11

i still don't understand why people are so excited because of Free practice...how long have you guys been watching F1..

don't get excited until qualy at the earliest IMO

Advertisement

#17402 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:16

I guess we are excited just because we see our long time favorite driver driving with determination.

#17403 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:17

We're excited not becuz Schumi is P1 but becuz he is drivin like the champ from before!!! He was so on it. Thats all I care for. Seeing him drive flat out and a bit over the edge. Does anyone know anything about what Front Wing Problems Schumacher had that they had to change it?

#17404 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:17

maybe I'm just jaded - I've probably been watching him a lot longer..Free Practice means very very little....

#17405 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:21

The main thing to take is not that he finished p1, more that he looked a whole lot more comfortable in the car, the steering inputs seem smoother from the onboard we have seem - but its very early days.

#17406 monaco

monaco

• 161 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:31

Watching Schumi drive for the last 16 years has not diminished the excitement felt when he drives like he owns the track :clap:

#17407 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:31

I know it's just free practice but P1 in FP2 and Schumi is trending worldwide on twitter..! :)

#17408 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,245 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:40

maybe I'm just jaded - I've probably been watching him a lot longer..Free Practice means very very little....

You're nitpicking. Everyone here knows what the bloody hell a practice session is. It's not for you to step up and ruin the party. Just leave people alone. Everyone might have their own reason to be excited be it practice session be it race day, captain obvious. What does it make difference if you feel excited and you can't help it? Would you be satisfied to ruin it, to make people realize that actually it's not worthed? What's the gain there to be had? People are waiting for a bomb to blow up for 2 years now. It's only natural. Besides, Schumacher's steering inputs were way better than last year. That was a positive sign for everybody who is looking for one, ffs. Whether it's classified for forever-and-ever-F1-watcher-yourself as a positive sign is upto you and you only. Others have found a reason to be excited. So be respectful to those and not try to belittle as if they have just started to watch Formula 1 yesterday.

#17409 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:44

maybe you should be respectful of my opinion as well.......

I've been on these threads for years - All these people who are now jumping up and down with excitement are the same people who when people do it about MSC teammate - are the first to cry "it's only practice".

I'll be excited when he's in P1 - on the grid....

#17410 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:50

maybe you should be respectful of my opinion as well.......

I'm guessing it's difficult for them to do because you subtly mention how long you've been around and talk as if everyone should know as much as you do. You make people feel dumb for thinking what they think.

#17411 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:53

I can't help how people feel.

#17412 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:00

Yes, you can. By stop making stupido comments.

#17413 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:01

You're right, you definitely can't change what they feel. But if you see a trend of people feeling that way, perhaps it would pay to switch up your approach if you care for them to give weight to your opinions. Then again, it's an internet forum so it's unreasonable to bend over backwards if you don't feel like doing so.

#17414 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:05

The thing I take most out of this, was that not only was he smooth, but he was switched the tyres on from lap 1. He didn't really spool up to it. That for me is worth getting excited over.

#17415 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:09

Ok, I didn't watch either FP1 or FP2. From you who were watching it, how did he look? If we try to ignore the times, was there any noticeable difference from last year?

#17416 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:12

he looked more at ease and more confident

#17417 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:12

Quite clear Mercedes won;t be fighting with Williams/Sauber/FI. Could Cheapracer clean up the aisle of humility, thank you.

#17418 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:14

Yes, you can. By stop making stupido comments.

I'm not the one making stupid comments

I'm just trying to save people...we all complained last year when the anti's did this over FP.... you don't want it to come back and bite you on the a$$ do you....if after FP they go back to their normal position.... as I said - get excitied at Qualy - that's when they are going for it - not in FP when we have no idea about anyone's program

I'm actually helping the MSC fans - of which I am a huge one :wave:

Edited by Raelene, 16 March 2012 - 08:16.

#17419 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:14

http://www.motorspor...cke-besser.html

He says the handling of the car is a LOT better than with the W02

Advertisement

#17420 Paco

Paco

• 1,208 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:17

As nice as a result as it is, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt for now. It was a mixed bag day with damp conditions etc. which tends to even out the grid a bit more. Good 1st day mind you but I think people will need to be conservative for now and not get ahead of themselves.

#17421 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:18

As nice as a result as it is, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt for now. It was a mixed bag day with damp conditions etc. which tends to even out the grid a bit more. Good 1st day mind you but I think people will need to be conservative for now and not get ahead of themselves.

you've said it so much more nicely than my blunt Aussie way ;)

#17422 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:27

Posted Image

:)

#17423 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:30

Why are people solely concentrating on times rather than comments from the team itself, onboard footage and expert views? Timing isn't all.

#17424 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:38

cause the team/driver are both saying - different programs etc....

it's a good start - but they've had good starts before and then it all went downhill

#17425 george1981

george1981

• 726 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:49

it's a good start - but they've had good starts before and then it all went downhill

I don't think they've started this well after doing well in preseason testing. The drivers seem happy in the car, Ross Brawn has said that they don't have to work on fixing major faults they can just concentrate on making the car faster. So I think Mercedes can be quietly confident, I expect the RedBulls and the McLarens still to be quicker when it matters but hopefully the Mercedes drivers have a fighting chance.
Last year Mercedes didn't look to be all that special until the last few days of testing when they put in some fast times in what looked like quali sims. This year they did a lot of high fuel running and lots of people doing independent analysis adjusting for fuel think they're quick.

#17426 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:57

And here he is, he's back.

Finally.

Long may it continue :D

#17427 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:05

I don't think they've started this well after doing well in preseason testing. The drivers seem happy in the car, Ross Brawn has said that they don't have to work on fixing major faults they can just concentrate on making the car faster. So I think Mercedes can be quietly confident, I expect the RedBulls and the McLarens still to be quicker when it matters but hopefully the Mercedes drivers have a fighting chance.
Last year Mercedes didn't look to be all that special until the last few days of testing when they put in some fast times in what looked like quali sims. This year they did a lot of high fuel running and lots of people doing independent analysis adjusting for fuel think they're quick.

oh I do think they are better than previous years...i'm just replying to the post about why are people concentrating on times. I don't look at times in FP as it means nothing. FP3 means a little more, but qualy will really show who has the real speed

#17428 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:06

Fantastic (that I can let air out of my blue face).

#17429 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:13

Yes by no means i am getting overly happy with todays result. Schumacher was doing ok on many Fridays last year only to qualify outside the top 10 when it mattered.

However i will take how the car looked as a positive the on boards with Schumacher were the best i have seen him at the wheel of an f1 car since 2006.

If thats how it performs for him in the dry tomrrow... We shall see.

#17430 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:40

This is fantastic, ok Michael P1, great stuff, but more importantly it seems the car has promise and this is what we need

#17431 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:42

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by IceSkyrim, 16 March 2012 - 10:56.

#17432 Math89

Math89

• 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:47

I'm very happy to see him on top but come on... Didn't it happen quite often in the last two seasons that Schumacher would get us all exited with good free practice results and then shatter are hopes on saturday and perhaps even more on sunday?

I'm hoping for a good qualifying. And then I'll start hoping for more.

#17433 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,781 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:50

Quali is the big weak link; if Michael does better on the Saturday rather than the Sunday it could be more telling for his season's form.

#17434 valachus

valachus

• 1,070 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:00

http://www.motorspor...cke-besser.html

He says the handling of the car is a LOT better than with the W02

Sure looks like it :up: Google translate has exclusive AI-assisted technical insight over the real reason for improved handling, too:

Posted Image

I hope MGP mechanics have the common sense to just let the thing right where it is now, I know I absolutely hate it when my steering wheel or seat adjustments are changed by service guys or at the carwash :lol:

#17435 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:07

I suspect this year that the qualy is not important, this will help Schumi, ok maybe you have to still be top 10 but i think honestly, it is not important as like last few years due to this new rubber

#17436 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:44

Few pictures from today

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17437 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:46

The main thing to take is not that he finished p1, more that he looked a whole lot more comfortable in the car, the steering inputs seem smoother from the onboard we have seem - but its very early days.

This.

:up:

I knew immediately he looked comfortable from the onboard shots.

#17438 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:47

Quite clear Mercedes won;t be fighting with Williams/Sauber/FI. Could Cheapracer clean up the aisle of humility, thank you.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

#17439 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:48

Ok, I didn't watch either FP1 or FP2. From you who were watching it, how did he look? If we try to ignore the times, was there any noticeable difference from last year?

He looked sharp that's for sure.

Advertisement

#17440 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:11

I will go as far as say if Schu was driving the RB7W03 with Webber Nico as a teammate not only he'd win races but the WDC as well.He still got it.

Fixed :wave:

#17441 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,739 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:20

is there any video of an oboard lap?

#17442 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,371 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:06

Not yet. Times don't mean crap but for now it seems he is comfortable in the car. Let's see if that trend continues in FP3 and Q1/2/3 when it matters.

#17443 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:17

Having missed both FP sessions and not being able to find a scrap of them on the internet, I too am hungry for some onboard footage.

I agree the times are completely meaningless, but it is encouraging to hear people who did see the FPs talking about Michael looking smoother and more settled in his driving. And top 3 in both sessions is a nice way to start the season... cautiously optimistic.

#17444 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,245 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 13:27

Having missed both FP sessions and not being able to find a scrap of them on the internet, I too am hungry for some onboard footage.

I agree the times are completely meaningless, but it is encouraging to hear people who did see the FPs talking about Michael looking smoother and more settled in his driving. And top 3 in both sessions is a nice way to start the season... cautiously optimistic.

Yes, definitely.

The most encouraging point for me, spacekid, is not the timesheets or less frantic steering inputs or handling. It's that Michael was fast straight out of the box, just as before. He was setting purple sections starting his very first lap. That only means he is comfortable and confident. That means he confides in the car, that is crucial to get a lap time in. I think it's the most tangible thing to say, really. It was a feat I haven't seen from him lately.

Schumacher: "The car feels positive, we have an excellent machine. We all anticipate a dry weekend from here on, so we weren't too bothered by the rain."

Edited by ali.unal, 16 March 2012 - 13:29.

#17445 Polle

Polle

• 292 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 13:31

I've always found his driving style to be very erratic but it did seem today that he was in more control of the car than he ever been with the previous 2 years which is encouraging.

#17446 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 13:36

For schumacher to say they have "an excellent machine", that sure means something...

#17447 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 13:36

Schu looked great,he was on it no mistakes and at ease.It seems he likes this car and it fits him well.

I don't know if anyone else caught it but there was a shot of Schu in the garage standing besides the car and he looked eager to get in and get on with it,and I mean eager.
Things look better than last season the least.

#17448 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 13:57

I saw that Fieraku! He was itching to get in it :D

I love how he's throwing the car around - this is the first time I've seen him do that since his return, whether he feels confident in the car or something inside of him has just reignited I don't know but he seems to have got that confidence back to really push the limits of the car :D

#17449 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 733 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 14:12

He could have led the first session if he wanted to. The track was improving significantly with every lap and Michael's times were set well before the sessiion ended.

Like they say, Friday testing times are meaningless however I still prefer to see my driver's meaningless times at the top of the sheet :)

#17450 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 16:18

If Schumi is on the podium, im opening champagne no matter how early it is:D