Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#17551 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:41

Schumi's performance was the only reason for me to smile today.And even if rosberg does a clean lap,I think the gap in quali wont be as big as last year anymore.

Advertisement

#17552 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:47

Schumi's performance was the only reason for me to smile today.And even if rosberg does a clean lap,I think the gap in quali wont be as big as last year anymore.

Hopefully, but it´s a long way to go.
MSC looked also relatively good compared to Rosberg at Melbourne in the last two years. In 2010 the gap was 0,05sec and 0,3sec in 2011 (with a malfunctioning DRS).

#17553 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 13:12

Schumi (and not Schuey as Hughes always uses) at 80% with a decent car is better than 99% of the rest of the field.

+1 :up:

#17554 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 14:29

@ confusion above:

Pole = P1 = advantage = racing line = left side of the grid.
P4 = disadvantage = not racing line = right side of the grid.

You're welcome :p

So, you hope they collide? ;)

To be fair, I have to say I can't recall a race where MSC and HAM really literally tripped over each other :)

Good stuff today and enjoying reading the comments about the feel in the car, let's wait and see what tomorrow brings. I hope for a bit of rain (unlikely) + a good start without wings going all over the place as a nice start of the season. Curious to say the least!

#17555 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 14:32

This season looks promising.
Although Rosberg is expected to beat Schumacher on Saturdays but grandpa will chase podiums on Sundays.

#17556 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 14:36

Well playing advocates devil: Schumacher is always back in the rhythm quite quickly. That's one of his strong suits.

2010: right behind Rosberg after 305km in Bahrein.
2011: tackled before he had a chance to show it but quite close earlier that weekend, in Australia.
2012: going well.

Edited by Jejking, 17 March 2012 - 14:36.

#17557 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:19

He's going to make a lot of people feel stupid this year.

#17558 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:21

I hope so - but these are all very big assumptions based on one qualifying session. I just hope he puts in some good performances and isn't beaten by Rosberg.

#17559 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:22

I hope so - but these are all very big assumptions based on one qualifying session. I just hope he puts in some good performances and isn't beaten by Rosberg.

Can you see him regressing? He feels v.comfortable with the car, the car is fast and he is on par with Rosberg in terms of race pace.

Advertisement

#17560 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:25

I have to admit i'm optimistic, especially after reading what he had said about being more comfortable - confirming our observations.

#17561 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:31

I'm sure Schumacher's performance has created more talk then the top 3 guys.

Schumacher was close enough for P3, and we might of seen him on tv for the qualifying top 3, which hasn't happened yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Schumacher was taken out in 2010, and didn't finish 2011 albert park either, so finishing the race in the points would be a improvement.
Schumacher showed good pace during the weekend of labert park in 2010, so the track itself even when he came back, he was more immediately on hhe ball then say Kimi was yestterday.

THese albert park first corners are not easy for all of them.

Edited by SeanValen, 17 March 2012 - 15:33.

#17562 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:34

Can you see him regressing? He feels v.comfortable with the car, the car is fast and he is on par with Rosberg in terms of race pace.

:up:

Yep as I said after MSC's 1st run in FP1, he immediately felt what car was going to do. Unlike last yr where the car was so nervous.

#17563 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:35

Schumacher was close enough for P3, and we might of seen him on tv for the qualifying top 3, which hasn't happened yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Schumacher was taken out in 2010, and didn't finish 2011 albert park either, so finishing the race in the points would be a improvement.
Schumacher showed good pace during the weekend of labert park in 2010, so the track itself even when he came back, he was more immediately on hhe ball then say Kimi was yestterday.

He could've had a shot at pole, but they lost a significant amount of time in the final sector (both mercs).

#17564 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:35

He could've had a shot at pole, but they lost a significant amount of time in the final sector (both mercs).

#17565 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:38

Maybe they are setting up the car differently in the race. Sector 3 is high downforce, but sector 1 with rear wing straight line max out, is maybe the area they want to work. Guessing :smoking:
I don't think it's easy to compare Q1/Q2 TO Q3. You just look at Mclaren's P3, race set up qualifying on tyres is a different animal, one area where redbull looked so strong last 2 year,s, maybe they've lost it redbull and or, maybe it's just a bad weekend in optimising the car, little running, we'll see, early days.

Edited by SeanValen, 17 March 2012 - 15:40.

#17566 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:41

So he couldn´t have a shot at pole.  ;)
S3 is always the crucial sector in Melbourne: Longest sector, highest amount of corners, more "technical" corners.

#17567 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:41

Maybe they are setting up the car differently in the race. Sector 3 is high downforce, but sector 1 with rear wing straight line max out, is maybe the area they want to work. Guessing :smoking:
I don't think it's easy to compare Q1/Q2 TO Q3. You just look at Mclaren's P3, race set up qualifying on tyres is a different animal, one area where redbull looked so strong last 2 year,s, maybe they've lost it redbull and or, maybe it's just a bad weekend in optimising the car, little running, we'll see, early days.

Go back to 2001, 2002 and 2003. Ferrari smashed everyone in the last sector, the key was that point and still is.

#17568 mimin

mimin

• 1,307 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:42

I am hoping, Michael will finish the race without any touching or colliding with others. At least he finishes at P4 or reaches the podium. That will be very good. :)

#17569 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:44

True.

#17570 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:46

So he couldn´t have a shot at pole. ;)
S3 is always the crucial sector in Melbourne: Longest sector, highest amount of corners, more "technical" corners.

Err technically he did have a chance.

But more importantly why are they losing 2tenths+ in that final sector? The Renault under Growjon was mighty there.

#17571 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:49

Go back to 2001, 2002 and 2003. Ferrari smashed everyone in the last sector, the key was that point and still is.

Agreed

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#17572 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:53

From what I´ve seen he was very careful in S3 on the final run.
maybe 1-2 tenth were to get their but that´s just a guess.

#17573 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:55

Err technically he did have a chance.

But more importantly why are they losing 2tenths+ in that final sector? The Renault under Growjon was mighty there.

True.

Also remember, the cars race performance may or maynot reflect the qualifying times, lets see, the sector 3 times on high fuel set up on a long strint is what we'll find out. Unknown.

Redbull could have a strong and long race car peroformance and end up fighting for the win. These tyres on this track in the race we have no idea.

Mercedes have gone a different route with their car wing wise, other then mclaren so far, lets see how it pans out.

And Growjon might be a trulli like tyre eater, and qualifies high and falls back, lets see.

#17574 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 15:58

Also remember, the cars race performance may or maynot reflect the qualifying times, lets see, the sector 3 times on high fuel set up on a long strint is what we'll find out. Unknown.

Redbull could have a strong and long race car peroformance and end up fighting for the win. These tyres on this track in the race we have no idea.

Mercedes have gone a different route with their car wing wise, other then mclaren so far, lets see how it pans out.

And Growjon might be a trulli like tyre eater, and qualifies high and falls back, lets see.

Fair play.

Guess we just gotta see how it pans out. :up:

#17575 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:01

In the the era of spending money and some t cars before 2003, , qualifying was different as well, I don't think everyone is doing their best work in qualifying, because the better job sometimes is doing a solid job and keeping the car unbroken, a bit of caution is needed with these rules and maybe at the start of the season more so, because these are flyaway races, there is no testing for a while, learning now, getting the car to do a race performance very important, get that data, more important then saturday, , but living in the margins, if you go off in Q3 like many cars have done in the weekend, or if you make a minor mistake which ends up being more positions, you lose out, the car may not be the same, there is no race warm up time on race day, you lose the work you've done on saturday.

Does Schumacher weigh up the odds? Did Rosberg just wanna get pole and leave race to the gods, who knows. The hardwork of the team, chasing extra time and risk going off, his off in practice like many, could of ended up worse with damage to the car, damage to the car with these rules is costly for race day

It's different era, being 2 tenths down in one sector, could mean 2 tenths up in another sector during a longer 15 lap strint, it's all relative.

:smoking:

Edited by SeanValen, 17 March 2012 - 16:07.

#17576 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,199 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:04

While 4th is good, and I was on the edge of the seat and am hoping for a podium tomorrow, anything can happen tomorrow. First objective has to be getting around lap 1 in the top 6 as a minimum. Schumi's had some good starts, and it would be great to see him mix it with the McLaren's in stint 1, but wouldn't want his race compromised in the process.

Should be interesting. :up:

#17577 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:14

I wouldn't be surprised to see him up in to P2 by the end of the first few corners. I think Grosjean is going to creating a distraction for the McLaren drivers which should allow Schumacher to split the McLarens.
He's brilliant at starting so I think the number one aim is at least clearing Grosjean and then seeing what the race pace and tyre management is like. I'm sure Ross Brawn has it covered for strategy :)

#17578 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:16

While 4th is good, and I was on the edge of the seat and am hoping for a podium tomorrow, anything can happen tomorrow. First objective has to be getting around lap 1 in the top 6 as a minimum. Schumi's had some good starts, and it would be great to see him mix it with the McLaren's in stint 1, but wouldn't want his race compromised in the process.

Should be interesting. :up:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him up in to P2 by the end of the first few corners. I think Grosjean is going to creating a distraction for the McLaren drivers which should allow Schumacher to split the McLarens.
He's brilliant at starting so I think the number one aim is at least clearing Grosjean and then seeing what the race pace and tyre management is like. I'm sure Ross Brawn has it covered for strategy :)

Albert park

Survive 1st corner
First lap
And anyone on the grid is capable of losing out due to another drivers error/fault/mistake

Schumacher's starts in 2011 very impressive, , I wonder if he can continue that, I wonder if it's something he's exploited with these mercedes cars, and tyres, if the car can race well and start well, great, but if he's back to his ferrari performances, then maybe ok starts and hunt for the podium, I dunno about how long he can keep these starts up, because his career before 2010, didn't suggest he was super quick on the starts, and I don't think anyone was to the degree he showed in 2011, so I'm wondering if it had to do with those specific tyres/rules/set up for 2011, it could be a one off season those starts, I think that reputation of good starts may be the only great thing he achieved with the difficult mercedes cars of 2011/2010,

If you remember in 2000, the ferrari wasn't great on starts, and Schumacher had to do his Schumi chop,, because in a way, he knew mclaren and others had a start advantage, or traction edge on starts, so it could be something car/set up/tyre specific. :smoking:

He's been in the sport 3 decades, and in his 3rd decade his starts are better, but if the starts are linked with his best results, then he's clearly found something, I don't think this pattern is going to continue, I might be wrong, I think he'll be strong, but those starts might be season/car/tyre set up specific, I hope not, they are great to see, but unless it's podiums or wiins, it's not something I'm expecting to see continued.

Edited by SeanValen, 17 March 2012 - 16:22.

#17579 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,328 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:19

Even though the car has had good pace all weekend. I am still keeping my expectations lowish. Mainly to avoid any disappointment. Top 6 finish will do. Anything better i will still class as a bonus. So nervous for that first corner. Have not been this nervous for a start of a GP in a long time.

Advertisement

#17580 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:27

So the reflexes came back it seems :drunk:

I always said he still got it,and what's great about it is that he's proof that we can see these younger guys for a loooong time.I was very happy by his performance.
'Ol man still got it'

#17581 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:27

Even though the car has had good pace all weekend. I am still keeping my expectations lowish. Mainly to avoid any disappointment. Top 6 finish will do. Anything better i will still class as a bonus. So nervous for that first corner. Have not been this nervous for a start of a GP in a long time.

Me neither, haven't been as nervous since Canada where Schumacher was second.

#17582 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:28

I always said he still got it,and what's great about it is that he's proof that we can see these younger guys for a loooong time.I was very happy by his performance.
'Ol man still got it'

You and me both :).

#17583 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,939 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:32

Same!

I might watch the first lap from behind a cushion. :D

Go Schumi!

#17584 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,276 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:33

"I already felt it during the first laps (at Silverstone). The nature of the car fits me better. I can feel it better, can place it how I want to.
You can see it with the steering movement. It´s about half as much as with last years car! The window where the balance switches is very small, that´s a good sign.
Finally I´m sitting in a real race car. You can trust its reactions. It gives you confidence."

http://www.auto-moto...to-4575482.html

Although I'm quite satisfied with Michael's performans today, I am a little disappointed to read this statement. Driving the car which is not driveable has always been Michael's strong suit, hasn't he? In 1996, 1997, he drove those awful machines and won races. So, Michael was able to drive "a car that is not a real car", so it's a bit sad not to find that Michael.

Anyway, I'm hopeful about tomorrow. For the last two years, Michael lost out in Turn 1 as he chose to place his car on the outside. Now with 4th, he should stay inside, which hasn't been historically that problematic.

Fingers crossed :up:

Edited by ali.unal, 17 March 2012 - 16:35.

#17585 krea

krea

• 710 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:33

If his Mercedes has a good race speed then I think a third place is possible.

#17586 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 15,798 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:38

Great to see Schumi qualifying so well. :up:

#17587 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:45

Although I'm quite satisfied with Michael's performans today, I am a little disappointed to read this statement. Driving the car which is not driveable has always been Michael's strong suit, hasn't he? In 1996, 1997, he drove those awful machines and won races. So, Michael was able to drive "a car that is not a real car", so it's a bit sad not to find that Michael.

Anyway, I'm hopeful about tomorrow. For the last two years, Michael lost out in Turn 1 as he chose to place his car on the outside. Now with 4th, he should stay inside, which hasn't been historically that problematic.

Circumstances are different now. So I don't think we can really do comparisons like that.

E.g. now the cars has too much aerodynamic influence.

Edited by zyphro, 17 March 2012 - 16:46.

#17588 MCh000

MCh000

• 181 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 16:57

Michael was a great through the first lap in 2011 because he was great with instant decisions going through the chaos. But there is not so much chaos at the front. I will be happy if Michael is still in the race after the first corner because you never know.

#17589 Pezerinno

Pezerinno

• 26 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 17:43

If he continues to start like last season I expect to see him on the podium which would be nice.

#17590 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 17:58

Michael has driven alot of cars, but the rules have changed so much, that mercedes interpretation of them in 2011 and 2010 was not only wrong/wrong route, it wasn't a ideal car to return too to relearn the sport and get competitive again, he retired and came back, that's no easy task.

He wasn't going to challenge for any wins in 2011, 2010, with the competition of 3 bigger teams, and the most competitive field of an era for sometime, the mercedes car was dissapointing, it was not like 1998, at least he just had 1 strong car to fight with-the mclaren with Mika mainely, now you got Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel etc and your older, and your car isn't anywhere near a win, of cource this years car is a step up, even if the mclaren was faster, or 1997, the driver input was more, on some tracks he could have the advantage, and the budget cap with limited testing meant mercedes could really go nowhere in 2010 and 2011, you have to start off strong, at least at ferrari, they could test, spend, and improve as the season went along, but now you must have a good car to start off with, or you pay the price.

it's very difficult to catch up, I wonder if Kimi will take time to get back into the game, it's hardwork.

Remember back in 2006, Schumacher said about retiring, "once your out, your out for good." Now he's back, it's his challenge. It's difficult catching up, but he's one of the few people who can make you think it's possible, but currently the only one until someone else does it in the future. The book is out for Kimi, and he's been away for 2 seasons, and is 10 years younger then Schumi, lets see how he goes.

Circumstances are different now. So I don't think we can really do comparisons like that.

E.g. now the cars has too much aerodynamic influence.

Budget/testing, playing catch up takes resources away from finding speed and helping drivers sort out/iron out issues. It helps to be in a team that is already structured well, but mercedes wasn't, and it was down on personnel, infact Schumacher menstioned we are small team back in 2010, ferrari did everything on Schumacher's arrival, listen, spend and do and try and try again. Mercedes late 2011 began to look like a team thinking about improvements, 2010 was a wasted year. Merc has been 1 year behind at least and just caught up a year.

Edited by SeanValen, 17 March 2012 - 18:08.

#17591 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:00

1997 car was 1st or 2nd best car. 1996 car was 2nd or 3rd best car.

#17592 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:03

Any onboards of Schumachers Quali or videos post quali interviews?
I can't seem to find any... :confused:

#17593 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 733 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:16

I always said he still got it

There was never any doubt about it. He was extracting all the car had to offer. Now he has a car which offers significantly more.

I'm only praying that Grosjean doesn't get in his way at the start of the race.

#17594 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:17

http://www.v8superca...56/default.aspx

Michael Schumacher Launches Scholarship

I can see it now, a future female GP winner driving for Ferrari or Mercedes, dedicates her win to the now very fit 51 year old Schumacher who presents the trophy, after returing from the brazilain karting event.

It'll be cool if one if the girls who do the scholarship end up competitive in the future.

#17595 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:23

There was never any doubt about it. He was extracting all the car had to offer. Now he has a car which offers significantly more.

I'm only praying that Grosjean doesn't get in his way at the start of the race.

You know in 2010 he was quick in the fast corners on many tracks, but llosing odd time in slow corners, I think then I knew it would take 1 or 2 seasons, that with a work in progress mercedes team, it wasn't going to happen, but the expectations were strong then, still now, everyone has been waiting and waiting, because they know he's unique and box office when it comes good.

Whatever happens in the race, it's long season, and no driver I think is going to get it right every gp with the competition packed up.

#17596 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:25

Any onboards of Schumachers Quali or videos post quali interviews?
I can't seem to find any... :confused:

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#17597 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:30

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Thanks Ivan, but isn't this yesterday's FP?

#17598 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 19:06

Thanks Ivan, but isn't this yesterday's FP?

Yes ,it is from yesterday. I don't think there was on board video from today.

#17599 z2z

z2z

• 295 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 19:23

Yes ,it is from yesterday. I don't think there was on board video from today.

this http://bit.ly/FOupcT ? Looks clean only small understeer in the last corner.

Advertisement

#17600 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 148 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 20:00

I said that because I think if they/he is so good here imagine what ha can do in tracks which suits him more;)

But I1m worried about Herbert.

Herbert talks a lot of rubbish, of course he has an axe to grinde for how he was destroyed at Benetton.