Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#18001 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:04

Whitout the frenchman he could finish about in P5.

Advertisement

#18002 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:10

MS should forget about his "project Mercedes" and just go to another team. He deserves better, I mean just can't fathom that one team with all the technical directors in the world of F1 can get it so wrong year after year! Degradation is the worst of all teams. It was depressing seeing MS being passed so easily.

I wish that was an option. I think he will just go home live his normal life rathen than wasting his time with what Mercedes offers him.

#18003 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:11

Talking about walking backwards. WTH happend? This is not coming only to drivers. Sad day, very sad.

#18004 dplayerx

dplayerx

• 37 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:12

MS should forget about his "project Mercedes" and just go to another team. He deserves better, I mean just can't fathom that one team with all the technical directors in the world of F1 can get it so wrong year after year! Degradation is the worst of all teams. It was depressing seeing MS being passed so easily.

I don't think so. Button wasn't able to recover either, and we know they have a race winner. I think most of the problems today were weather related (collision, being passed on degrading inters); after all they were fast on a single lap. Now they (still) have to work on their reliability (with respect to the tyres of course).

#18005 baddog

baddog

• 23,262 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:17

5-6 would have happened without grosjeans silliness. Still not good enough from the team, something went badly wrong here.

#18006 z2z

z2z

• 295 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:34

Start was poor today. For sure , he needs better car and certainly more luck.

#18007 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,914 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:53

Let's hope China suits them better with cooler temperatures and that mega mega long straight.

#18008 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:54

post race interview [german]

#18009 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:56

Schumi has time against him but its obvious he still has the pace and passion.

I'd love to see him move to a competitive team in 2013, wasting his last years at Merc, nothing changes. :(

#18010 Rol

Rol

• 114 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:22

post race interview [german]

This looks very bad, it shows they have no clue what is going on. Which makes it rather hard to get out of it.

Before the race Michael hoped to fight for the podium.
After the race Michael has no clear idea of how far they are back, he sais probably around 1 second per lap, which he thinks is good progress compared to last year's 2 second per lap.
:cry:

#18011 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:34

The weather was STRANGE
button was nowhere after a wing change, vettel didn't catch ms in the last stint, koba & masssa were fighting in midfield with their team mates leading the freakin race

I don't know what you can make of the pace. MS's tyres didn't go off so badly he kept those intermediates for a long long time with respectable pace in them. his tyres in the last stint were quite good at the end.

He was 15th at the restart and ended the race in 10th so I don't think it was that bad in these weird conditions.

#18012 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:35

The weather was STRANGE
button was nowhere after a wing change, vettel didn't catch ms in the last stint, koba & masssa were fighting in midfield with their team mates leading the freakin race

I don't know what you can make of the pace. MS's tyres didn't go off so badly he kept those intermediates for a long long time with respectable pace in them. his tyres in the last stint were quite good at the end.

He was 15th at the restart and ended the race in 10th so I don't think it was that bad in these weird conditions.

:up:
People are getting their knickers in a twist. This wasn't even a dry race. We can't conclude much here.

#18013 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:36

Schumi has time against him but its obvious he still has the pace and passion.

I'd love to see him move to a competitive team in 2013, wasting his last years at Merc, nothing changes. :(

What utter nonsense.

Schumacher is at Merc to make it in a winning team. He won't leave till he succeeds in doing that- his motto has always been never to give up.

#18014 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,083 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:48

Schumacher Button is the one to blame. He hit Grosjean Karthikeyan.

Fixed it for you to save you the embarrassment of appearing a complete tool.

Further adjustments may need to be made given the "quality" :lol: of your opinions.

Edited by MightyMoose, 25 March 2012 - 12:48.

#18015 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:51

This team is a joke.

#18016 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 699 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:15

This team is a joke.

And yet I'm not laughing. :( :confused: :(

#18017 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:16

Before the world ends, I hope to see one more Schumi pole and one more Schumi win. That podium jump, I just miss seeing that on my TV.

Will that happen sometime soon? Pole maybe, but overall - With the way Merc is sucking, I think not. :(

#18018 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:21

Omg guys this is hilarious.

Why are you analysing the pace of the car in these changing conditions. Would anyone like to remind me where Button was?

Get a ****ing grip ffs. Let's see what the pace is like in a proper dry race before coming to conclusions.

#18019 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 699 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:26

Why are you analysing the pace of the car in these changing conditions. Would anyone like to remind me where Button was?

Get a ****ing grip ffs. Let's see what the pace is like in a proper dry race before coming to conclusions.

Exactly, Albert park is a weird track and Schumi's car failed and today's race was a bit hectic, I'm not saying it will be fine on other tracks but let's wait another three weeks and see.

Advertisement

#18020 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:32

Exactly, Albert park is a weird track and Schumi's car failed and today's race was a bit hectic, I'm not saying it will be fine on other tracks but let's wait another three weeks and see.

Merc usually does well in China. Let's hope they do again. :up:

But writing them off based on these performances is just plain silly. Two weird races doesn't= a championship conclusion.

#18021 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:33

I can tell you all now that Mercedes will not win a race in dry conditions this year. Yes it's fast over a single lap but the race pace is awful. Today the car was slow, changeable conditions or not that car was slow in the race and it was slow in Australia. It's hard to fathom that after three seasons in F1 and after inheriting a championship winning team Merc still can't produce a race winning/challenging car. It is a waste of Michael's time and he does deserve better, a hell of a lot better.

#18022 KavB

KavB

• 1,055 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:37

The car does seem poor over a race distance. I suppose they stand a good chance at tracks where it is difficult to pass, like Monaco.

#18023 Massa

Massa

• 4,207 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:46

Button had a damage car. He has got a lot of vibration.

#18024 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,299 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:51

As a life long Schumacher fan, i am going to be honest here.

There is nothing left to race for in my opinion. The car will NEVER be good enough to challange the front runners.

He is wasting his time with Merecedes. He took a gamble cause they won with Brawn. (a complete fluke)

Its such a shame he did not come back with Red Bull or McLaren, but its done now.

Anyone who thinks Mercedes will even race for podiums this year are sadly just dreaming.

I was embarrassed for the team today.

:down:

Edited by Massa_f1, 25 March 2012 - 13:52.

#18025 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,739 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:56

I can tell you all now that Mercedes will not win a race in dry conditions this year. Yes it's fast over a single lap but the race pace is awful. Today the car was slow, changeable conditions or not that car was slow in the race and it was slow in Australia. It's hard to fathom that after three seasons in F1 and after inheriting a championship winning team Merc still can't produce a race winning/challenging car. It is a waste of Michael's time and he does deserve better, a hell of a lot better.

Amazing difference between performance in Q and race. It looked as if the car was a handful to drive and ate it´s tyres ultra-fast. Bad combo.

#18026 Paco

Paco

• 1,148 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:15

I don't get why every is all doom and gloom :drunk:

MS and Merc have now figured out qualifying and have a good car with some real and solid pace.

There is a real chance that MS may get on the podium a couple/few times this season. And with luck and circumstance, maybe a win or 2.

Of course the Mercedes isn't perfect.. duh. But neither is the Redbull, Ferrari, Lotus. :wave: To think they have solidly leapfrogged RedBull/Newey and Ferrari this season is amazing.

Yes there appears work to be done regarding their race pace... but seriously it's only been 2 weeks and back to back overseas races at that!!! No team.. No team could address issues in that period of time unless they identified a broken part :rolleyes:

People need to get real about where he was in 2010, 2011 and now 2012. IT'S BEEN A MONUMENTAL IMPROVEMENT!!! :up:

Edited by Paco, 25 March 2012 - 14:23.

#18027 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:18

MS and Merc have now figured out qualifying and have a good with some real and solid pace.

There is a real chance that MS may get on the podium a couple/few times this season. And with luck and circumstance, maybe a win or 2.

Of course the Mercedes isn't perfect.. duh. But neither is the Redbull, Ferrari, Lotus. :wave: To think they have solidly leapfrogged RedBull/Newey and Ferrari this season is amazing.

Yes there appears work to be done regarding their race pace... but seriously it's only been 2 weeks and back to back overseas races at that!!! No team.. No team :rolleyes:

People need to get real about where he was in 2010, 2011 and now 2012. IT'S BEEN A MONUMENTAL IMPROVEMENT!!! :up:

PEOPLE GET A GRIP geez! If you're going to post to whine here, don't post at all. Its been 2 races out of what, 20? if its the same as this at the end of the season then I will agree with the majority here.

Else no.

#18028 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:19

As a life long Schumacher fan, i am going to be honest here.

You clearly aren't a life-long MS fan. What a ridiculous attitude.

MS never gives up. He won't be leaving this team till its winning- mark my words.

Edited by zyphro, 25 March 2012 - 14:20.

#18029 Paco

Paco

• 1,148 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:21

Amazing difference between performance in Q and race. It looked as if the car was a handful to drive and ate it´s tyres ultra-fast. Bad combo.

Well.. that was pretty much the case for EVERY single driver today in the race! :rotfl:

I don't get why people make a huge deal about qualifying in dry and racing in wet and amazed there is a difference in their performance. IT MEANS NOTHING!

Wet races are a lottery, a proven fact time and time again. Nice for news as it shakes up the results. Nice for mid pack teams as one or two usually nail it and put in a good result that they never would have otherwise. Today was Sauber.

So F1 usually wins a series when a few wet races happen as it mixes things, makes big headlines and shakes everything up.

Edited by Paco, 25 March 2012 - 14:24.

#18030 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:22

MS never gives up. He won't be leaving this team till its winning- mark my words.

the problem is not MS

#18031 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:22

the problem is not MS

Wtf are you talking about. When did I say it was?

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

#18032 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:23

MS and Merc have now figured out qualifying and have a good with some real and solid pace.

Yes there appears work to be done regarding their race pace... but seriously it's only been 2 weeks and back to back overseas races at that!!! No team.. No team :rolleyes:

Well said.

I think qualifying high up on Saturday is always going to set expectations higher come race day, I had a feeling there would be disappointment in anything lesser.

It was a strange weekend though confirmed by Kimi's quote:
"It would be nice to just have a normal weekend and just see where we are. Right now, nobody really knows where anybody is. But we seem to have a pretty strong package everywhere"

We needed less rain, maybe 20 laps of it-including drying track, then for 36s laps to be done in the dry.

Whitout the frenchman he could finish about in P5.

Which is what he predicted for qualifying initially.

18 races left, which is still more then most of the f1 seasons ever.

16 races, then 17, then 18, 19 and 20.

Oversee races and all these cars showing competitive showings, this is more competitive from across he field then last 2 years, at the same time albert park is a unique track and sepang conditons didn't tell us more, so like Kimi said, we don't know everything. Ferrari won, but I don't think they were the fastest if it would been dry.

Edited by SeanValen, 25 March 2012 - 14:31.

#18033 sharo

sharo

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:27

The problem is at this rate of development the bosses may pull the plug earlier than the team becomes winning.
ATM Williams show better general advance in respect to last year and they were way behind.

#18034 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:28

Results show no improvement, so there is clearly no improvement. I ask :who cares about Qualy???? You don't get points for Q. To get destroyed on Sunday. Car need race pace, not PR Saturdays. The team is a big joke. Chief strategist show since last two years that he is useless. The stupid DRS thing is not working. Who MS overtake with it? Better qualify 6-7th and have racier car ,than this. I didn't see the whole race live and I don't want to see it now. I was driving, my brother was following Autosport live on mobile, I waited for MS to start overtaking, I wait, I wait and I wait. And he didn't start. W02 at least can overtake. W03 is useless with that.

Edited by ivand911, 25 March 2012 - 14:34.

#18035 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:29

Wtf are you talking about. When did I say it was?

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

I just meant that it's not up to him. He can't stay forever or maybe he can, but he can't do anything about the car. I understand completely who want to be optimistic since it's too early ofc, but i can understand people who are all doom and gloom as you say because we have seen how the pattern develops in this team. For example Norbert Haug said today: "Our car has got speed and we will continue to work hard to generate this speed in the race as well as in qualifying."

That's pretty much what he said after China last year. Now don't get me wrong i know nothing about the car, but i can guarantee it has shown no indication of it having any pace in 2 sundays. Not even a fast lap to change the pattern. We don't know if they can turn the tables but last year they never did.

Now back to Schumi, we all know his attitude and his winning mentality but each one of us wants him to have fun and give us the pleasure of watching him drive a car worthy of his skill. The Saturday W03 is one, the Sunday one is not, at least up to now. Sorry, for the misunderstanding. :)

#18036 BiH

BiH

• 2,305 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:32

once again their team orders are just strange

once schumacher spun from Romain and they saw perez going to wets

what was Brawn thinking?////

take the risk they had nothing to lose

instead they stayed out again and again

same with call to dry tyres for Nico and Schumacher

Edited by BiH, 25 March 2012 - 14:35.

#18037 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

I just meant that it's not up to him. He can't stay forever or maybe he can, but he can't do anything about the car. I understand completely who want to be optimistic since it's too early ofc, but i can understand people who are all doom and gloom as you say because we have seen how the pattern develops in this team. For example Norbert Haug said today: "Our car has got speed and we will continue to work hard to generate this speed in the race as well as in qualifying."

That's pretty much what he said after China last year. Now don't get me wrong i know nothing about the car, but i can guarantee it has shown no indication of it having any pace in 2 sundays. Not even a fast lap to change the pattern. We don't know if they can turn the tables but last year they never did.

Now back to Schumi, we all know his attitude and his winning mentality but each one of us wants him to have fun and give us the pleasure of watching him drive a car worthy of his skill. The Saturday W03 is one, the Sunday one is not, at least up to now. Sorry, for the misunderstanding. :)

Again you're all so quick to jump to conclusions.

Has MS even finished/done a bone dry race in the W03?

NO! FFS why don't you wait till that happens then make conclusions. THAT'S ALL IM SAYING. I'm not saying the car will have the pace of the top teams, what I'm saying is don't jump to conclusions/ write 'em off when they've hardly any real racing in the dry.

I agree with the strategist bit- he needs to go NOW.

Edited by zyphro, 25 March 2012 - 14:33.

#18038 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,299 posts

We will see in China then. Rosberg went backwards in normal conditions in Melbourne. The team have been outraced by Sauber and Williams 2 weeks running.

I know MS never gives up and i admire him even more for this and sticking around than anything he ever did in his Ferrari winning years.

#18039 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:34

We will see in China then. Rosberg went backwards in normal conditions in Melbourne. The team have been outraced by Sauber and Williams 2 weeks running.

I know MS never gives up and i admire him even more for this and sticking around than anything he ever did in his Ferrari winning years.

Indeed we will. It's only sensible to comment properly when MS has actually driven a race in the dry.

Advertisement

#18040 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:38

NO! FFS why don't you wait till that happens then make conclusions. THAT'S ALL IM SAYING. I'm not saying the car will have the pace of the top teams, what I'm saying is don't jump to conclusions/ write 'em off when they've hardly any real racing in the dry.

How Sauber , Lotus , Williams were good in Australia and today too? Why weather doesn't matter for them?

#18041 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,685 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:39

Everyone saying wait for a dry race is missing the point. They don't understand what's wrong and that is the biggest problem you can have.

They have not understood their tyre issues for years.

Edited by Scotracer, 25 March 2012 - 14:40.

#18042 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:41

How Sauber , Lotus , Williams were good in Australia and today too? Why weather doesn't matter for them?

Counter argument: in Aus ham and but were quickest. How come they werent quickest in the wet?

Also where was ALO, williams were quicker than ferrari in dry. What happened today? Williams were slower no?

Edited by zyphro, 25 March 2012 - 14:43.

#18043 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:42

They don't understand what's wrong and that is the biggest problem you can have.

How do you know this? Has anyone officially came out and said this, or are you just extrapolating?

Seems like the latter to me. For all you know they may know what is causing the problem: having back-to-back races doesn't allow them to bring in a proper fix does it?

#18044 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:43

Yes, i agree with that and it's a new season and a new car. And i'm not writing the off i am just expressing my fears and the only thing i want is to be entirely wrong in my "assumptions". But you have to agree that what we have seen up to now in 2 racing days is utter s**t. And yes every car has issues it's just that the W03's issues scare the hell out of me and look a lot more serious from an outsider's point of view. Plus, i would prefer to not be behind Williams and Sauber and close to FI in terms of face pace. That would make me much more comfortable.

Edit: Also, i have to agree with Scotracer's point

Edited by Lelouch, 25 March 2012 - 14:45.

#18045 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,685 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:44

How do you know this? Has anyone officially came out and said this, or are you just extrapolating?

Seems like the latter to me. For all you know they may know what is causing the problem: having back-to-back races doesn't allow them to bring in a proper fix does it?

I'm inferring on past experiences and what Michael's comments after the race suggested. Its like the tyres are some black box that they can't open to look in and see how they work.

#18046 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:45

Yes, i agree with that and it's a new season and a new car. And i'm not writing the off i am just expressing my fears and the only thing i want is to be entirely wrong in my "assumptions". But you have to agree that what we have seen up to now in 2 racing days is utter s**t. And yes every car has issues it's just that the W03's issues scare the hell out of me and look a lot more serious from an outsider's point of view. Plus, i would prefer to not be behind Williams and Sauber and close to FI in terms of face pace. That would make me much more comfortable.

I agree on the face of the results it doesn't look good but theres lots of things you need to take into account. Also being on FI pace doesn't mean much; it mean's we have gone backwards but in reality we don't really know fully where we're at.

#18047 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,455 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:45

Yes, even in the PR releases, which are full of corporate BS, they said that they can't get tires in the working window.

#18048 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:47

I'm inferring on past experiences and what Michael's comments after the race suggested. Its like the tyres are some black box that they can't open to look in and see how they work.

"But this will not be done from one race to another, it will take some time, and we need to give it that time. Still it is a fact that we have improved, so I can fly home now being sure about this and looking forward to fighting in the races to come."

Which backs up my argument; who realistically thought the supposed issue was going to be solved in a back-to-back race weekend? I admit there is a problem somewhere, but it was never going to be fixed that quickly.

That doesn't necessarily mean there's panic: as Michael said: " Still it is a fact that we have improved, so I can fly home now being sure about this and looking forward to fighting in the races to come."

#18049 Paco

Paco

• 1,148 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:47

The problem is at this rate of development the bosses may pull the plug earlier than the team becomes winning.
ATM Williams show better general advance in respect to last year and they were way behind.

Pull the plug.. no way because of how the car is performing. Don't forget, Mercedes has been one of the longest running engine providers on the grid and have had many ups and downs with McLaren etc.
If they do pull the plug, it would be associated with the commerical rights and working agreement then on track performance. This isn't the case as BMW setting stupid 5year expectations and walking due to costs and lack of results.

As for Williams, of course that may "appear" to be the case as they had a BIGGER gap to fill. It's a team with a tonne of history, experience and some really good people working there. So it's only natural that eventually they would improve as it's not soo much as they improved as they didn't mess up as bad this year as years gone by. Due to the lack of formal EBD this season, all the teams have gotten closer together.

Edited by Paco, 25 March 2012 - 14:49.

#18050 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:50

I agree with the strategist bit- he needs to go NOW.

I am not writing Michael Schumacher off, and its hard to predict where we go from here, but despite uncertainty ahead of us in this season, fact remains that first two races are not really very impressive, are they? Vettel may or may not recover from his misfortunes, and RBR may or may not be on the par with others, but position in today's race by both Merc drivers leaves me more than disappointed. Combine that with backstabbing in commercial division by the other teams and FOM, and one wonders what else can go wrong, if anything is actually left undamaged. I am seriously worrying they will discontinue their presence in 2013, and possibly not fully supporting developments in 2012. I would not blame them if they say NO ro FOM, but it is a shame we face a such possibility. It is not a good weekend by any measure.