Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#18051 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:09

It's not a counter argument. In 2008, Ferrari was the quickest car but Mclaren car was always the quickest in the wet.

And at Melbourne, Williams was only quicker during the last stint. Before, Alonso was quicker.

Sorry but what the hell are you talking about?

McLaren was quick in the dry of 08 no? That's the point.

Edited by zyphro, 26 March 2012 - 08:10.

Advertisement

#18052 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:11

We will never know about tyre deg in the warm, since we never had a dry race yesterday....

#18053 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,811 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:13

Tyre deg wasn't the problem! It was that they couldn't get the tyres at correct operating temperatures/pressures (Brawn confirmed this). Look at the lap chart for MSC - his times were up and down for the entirety of the final stint. Rosberg had the same issue in Australia but also followed with massive deg (and I believe he struggled with it more than MSC yesterday too).

#18054 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:16

Tyre deg wasn't the problem! It was that they couldn't get the tyres at correct operating temperatures/pressures (Brawn confirmed this). Look at the lap chart for MSC - his times were up and down for the entirety of the final stint. Rosberg had the same issue in Australia but also followed with massive deg (and I believe he struggled with it more than MSC yesterday too).

I never said it was :rolleyes: .

There are still some people who believe it was tyre deg that was causing the tyre woes.

Edited by zyphro, 26 March 2012 - 08:16.

#18055 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,264 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:18

Grosjean: "I was there, I was careful and unfortunately I think it was Schumacher came to hit me and in Turn Four I spun,"
http://www.gpupdate....tters-malaysia/

Benetton/Renault/Lotus: Giving me reasons to hate them since 1986.

(sorry if already posted, only just read it and had to get it out of my system - feeling much better now)

#18056 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:25

Grosjean: "I was there, I was careful and unfortunately I think it was Schumacher came to hit me and in Turn Four I spun,"

Benetton/Renault/Lotus: Giving me reasons to hate them since 1986.

(sorry if already posted, only just read it and had to get it out of my system - feeling much better now)

I posted the same quote in a diff thread, but yes he is a classless 'so and so'.

#18057 MCh000

MCh000

• 181 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:31

I really don't want to think bad of him. Maybe translation is not accurate? :D

#18058 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:32

Another source is Pf1 site: pretty much the same as that quote. Growjon said he spun and somehow MSC hit him yea.....

#18059 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,264 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:45

You're a bigger man than I am. I shamelessly admit that I hate Lotus' guts and I won't hide it(I take my inspiration from Frans). I could never ever like that team. That's why I never even go into their team thread, I'd be banned in 10s flat for trolling and starting fights. And the moderators would be 100% justified in banning me! :lol:

Anyway, my first though at reading that quote was "If Schumacher wanted to hit you, you'd know it - right Jacques, Damon?" {btw, you guys in this thread can take joke right?}

Edited by KiloWatt, 26 March 2012 - 08:46.

Advertisement

#18060 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 610 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:47

Anyway, my first though at reading that quote was "If Schumacher wanted to hit you, you'd know it - right Jacques, Damon?"

Edit for typing fail: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Edited by Lelouch, 26 March 2012 - 08:47.

#18061 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:52

Anyway, my first though at reading that quote was "If Schumacher wanted to hit you, you'd know it - right Jacques, Damon?" {btw, you guys in this thread can take joke right?}

:rotfl: :up: :smoking:

Had a good laugh at that!

#18062 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,752 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:41

The problem with the incident with RG is that last year in Silverstone Michael got a stop and go for something less. It's always fun to see steward bias against Michael.

#18063 Rol

Rol

• 114 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:44

I am not writing Michael Schumacher off, and its hard to predict where we go from here, but despite uncertainty ahead of us in this season, fact remains that first two races weren't really very impressive. Vettel may or may not recover from his misfortunes, and RBR may or may not be on the par with others, but position in today's race by both Merc drivers leaves me more than disappointed. Combine that with backstabbing in commercial division by the other teams and FOM, and one wonders what else can go wrong, if anything is actually left undamaged. I am seriously worrying they will discontinue their presence in 2013, and possibly not fully supporting developments in 2012. I would not blame them if they say NO to FOM, but it is a shame we face a such possibility. It is not a good weekend by any measure.

Looked through lap times and Schumacher's race is not as terrible as it seemed via LiveTiming. He surely had problems with getting tyres work and also with degradation, but I think he did a superb job in that car. To me his personal performance was just about perfect in both Melbourne and Malaysia.

A lot of teams seem to have different issues with the tyres. Mercedes has increased competency in development so much that they should be able to develep a Sauber kind of exhaust system fairly quickly. I really hope they recognised this outage already at the first testing session and that they are working on it like crazy.

As for the politics with the Concorde Agreement, I agree that this is really ugly. What is this all about? I would put my bet on Ferrari and Luca Cordero di Montezemolo.
I suppose there is a great tension between: Ferrari/LCDM and Todt/Brawn/Costa/Schumacher. Should an extraordinary group of people (Todt,Brawn,Byrne,Costa,Schumacher) or Ferrari/LCDM get credit for the epic successive WCC and WDC wins? This is ridiculous, as I think all of them should. Although I suspect LCDM wanted the main credit for himself, so that if all these people leave and Ferrari continue winning - then it will be remembered as the "Montezemolo era", that changed the fortunes of Ferrari.
Well, the fact that Schumacher came back after three years (probably contractually he could not race for other teams before), and Brawn has become principal of the greatest,
richest, historical rival. This looks really bad for Ferrari. This is a battle for retrospective interpretation of the years 1996-2007, it is a battle for ego and the history books.

I would expect Mercedes not to give up, and I would expect Ferrari to play the dirtiest tricks they have in hand. Concorde Agreement seems to be one of them.

Another battle front would be the Resource Restriction Agreement. What do you know about this? Is this voluntary, what does it mean that Ferrari got out of it?

Next thing is the tyre front. I don't think Ferrari is looking very good there, YET. So this is a theoretical question: What keeps Pirelli from giving, getting exclusive information to/from certain teams. This should not be anything radical, just for example one team indicating ("we still found a nice way to heat tyres"), and then unexpectedly Pirelli is developing a tyre that is extremely sensitive to heating. Do we have any system that prevents this? In case we have an independent tyre supplier, I think it should present the 2013 tyres, let's say by 2012 June, so that all teams have equal chances to develop their cars. I want to see racing, not gambling, and especially not gambling with loaded dice.

Edited by Rol, 26 March 2012 - 09:48.

#18064 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:58

The race had more than 15 laps on dry tires and Mercedes were nowhere. In this stage of dry track, Kimi did a couple of fastest laps, Webber some 3 or 4, Pastor did at least once and Perez did like 5 or 6 times.

:up:

on a green, cold track with cars setup to take the heat

really representative

#18065 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:34

on a green, cold track with cars setup to take the heat

really representative

Going to quit posting in this forum till the China Gp.

See you guys then :up:.

Edited by zyphro, 26 March 2012 - 11:34.

#18066 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:55

Looked through lap times and Schumacher's race is not as terrible as it seemed via LiveTiming. He surely had problems with getting tyres work and also with degradation, but I think he did a superb job in that car. To me his personal performance was just about perfect in both Melbourne and Malaysia.

A lot of teams seem to have different issues with the tyres. Mercedes has increased competency in development so much that they should be able to develep a Sauber kind of exhaust system fairly quickly. I really hope they recognised this outage already at the first testing session and that they are working on it like crazy.

As for the politics with the Concorde Agreement, I agree that this is really ugly. What is this all about? I would put my bet on Ferrari and Luca Cordero di Montezemolo.
I suppose there is a great tension between: Ferrari/LCDM and Todt/Brawn/Costa/Schumacher. Should an extraordinary group of people (Todt,Brawn,Byrne,Costa,Schumacher) or Ferrari/LCDM get credit for the epic successive WCC and WDC wins? This is ridiculous, as I think all of them should. Although I suspect LCDM wanted the main credit for himself, so that if all these people leave and Ferrari continue winning - then it will be remembered as the "Montezemolo era", that changed the fortunes of Ferrari.
Well, the fact that Schumacher came back after three years (probably contractually he could not race for other teams before), and Brawn has become principal of the greatest,
richest, historical rival. This looks really bad for Ferrari. This is a battle for retrospective interpretation of the years 1996-2007, it is a battle for ego and the history books.

I would expect Mercedes not to give up, and I would expect Ferrari to play the dirtiest tricks they have in hand. Concorde Agreement seems to be one of them.

Another battle front would be the Resource Restriction Agreement. What do you know about this? Is this voluntary, what does it mean that Ferrari got out of it?

Next thing is the tyre front. I don't think Ferrari is looking very good there, YET. So this is a theoretical question: What keeps Pirelli from giving, getting exclusive information to/from certain teams. This should not be anything radical, just for example one team indicating ("we still found a nice way to heat tyres"), and then unexpectedly Pirelli is developing a tyre that is extremely sensitive to heating. Do we have any system that prevents this? In case we have an independent tyre supplier, I think it should present the 2013 tyres, let's say by 2012 June, so that all teams have equal chances to develop their cars. I want to see racing, not gambling, and especially not gambling with loaded dice.

Michael has not extended his contract yet, and I think timing for that would be around August. (That's my guess only). There are however and unfortunately many issues on the table at the same time which may affect his decision. Per Nico's comment degradation issue seems to be set aside at least for now, and lack of race performance has to be resolved, otherwise it will play into hands of the individuals (on inside) who want to take Mercedes out of F1. CA is another thing, and I am puzzled by the not so well hidden adversarial position towards Mercedes that FOM have adopted. At the end however business is business, and I am not privy to their balance sheet to determine pro and cons in final tally. I am merely wondering if Mercedes will now take their case to the EU commission, competitiveness division. They might, although like in Japan, in Germany lawyers enter the scene as a last resort only.
Last issue you have mentioned - I am not sure what to think about Hembery, but should Mercedes find out there is information withheld from them about tires, whilst exclusively shared with some other teams, and I don’t know if it was, result of that would almost certainly end up in courts with very unpredictable results. This would not be the same case Bridgestone had with Ferrari a few years ago.

Edited by Sakae, 26 March 2012 - 11:56.

#18067 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:25

Going to quit posting in this forum till the China Gp.
See you guys then :up:.

I tried that last week. It didn't work well. :p

Edited by ivand911, 26 March 2012 - 12:26.

#18068 Mestrades

Mestrades

• 92 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:26

Now, do you realize how unfortunate that is the Mercedes? From Australia that I warned you and you all ignored my comments. Now, your fall is harder than not mine! :)
Confirmed what I said, now I just need to confirm that Mercedes will be the seventh team this year, they will not get any podium and obviously, no victory, and I dare say that Mercedes will get to leave the image of Michael damaged and sunk. I am convinced that Michael will not renew.
Greetings!

#18069 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,264 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:28

Now, do you realize how unfortunate that is the Mercedes? From Australia that I warned you and you all ignored my comments. Now, your fall is harder than not mine! :)
Confirmed what I said, now I just need to confirm that Mercedes will be the seventh team this year, they will not get any podium and obviously, no victory, and I dare say that Mercedes will get to leave the image of Michael damaged and sunk. I am convinced that Michael will not renew.
Greetings!

What's next week's lottery numbers?

#18070 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:28

Tire issues, whatever they are, is not exclusive to Mercedes, thus to isolate this team as the only one that has lost the fight is not very accurate. Secondly, we went through only two races, and if anything, Malaysia proved that situation can perform U-turn in matter of one weekend. Predictions at this stage are rather very tricky business.

Edited by Sakae, 26 March 2012 - 12:29.

#18071 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:29

This is getting sad.

Ah, well. I guess MS's days as an F1 driver are numbered and soon, we'll realize how lucky we are to get a second glimpse of Michael 10 years from now. All we can do, is appreciate him doing his thing for one last time before going away for good. Just one fairytale race please? That's all we can ask for. One more great moment to add to an already great career.

And im still waiting for that moment to come, whether it will come - that IS the question.......

#18072 Determined

Determined

• 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:38

This is getting sad.

Ah, well. I guess MS's days as an F1 driver are numbered and soon, we'll realize how lucky we are to get a second glimpse of Michael 10 years from now. All we can do, is appreciate him doing his thing for one last time before going away for good. Just one fairytale race please? That's all we can ask for. One more great moment to add to an already great career.

And im still waiting for that moment to come, whether it will come - that IS the question.......

He'll come good, you don't win as many titles as him doing nothing.

#18073 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:41

Yes, it is sad that his last races are wasted in uncompetitive car.

#18074 Rol

Rol

• 114 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:48

Michael has not extended his contract yet, and I think timing for that would be around August. (That's my guess only). There are however and unfortunately many issues on the table at the same time which may affect his decision. Per Nico's comment degradation issue seems to be set aside at least for now, and lack of race performance has to be resolved, otherwise it will play into hands of the individuals (on inside) who want to take Mercedes out of F1. CA is another thing, and I am puzzled by the not so well hidden adversarial position towards Mercedes that FOM have adopted. At the end however business is business, and I am not privy to their balance sheet to determine pro and cons in final tally. I am merely wondering if Mercedes will now take their case to the EU commission, competitiveness division. They might, although like in Japan, in Germany lawyers enter the scene as a last resort only.
Last issue you have mentioned - I am not sure what to think about Hembery, but should Mercedes find out there is information withheld from them about tires, whilst exclusively shared with some other teams, and I don’t know if it was, result of that would almost certainly end up in courts with very unpredictable results. This would not be the same case Bridgestone had with Ferrari a few years ago.

I agree with you that all this will have an influence on Michael's decision, although I think this machination can backfire. Michael might stay just to show that he will fight with Mercedes and Ross until the end. If Mercedes think they hurt their business unfairly, that is a different story. I agree that most likely they will wait with the legal case till the very end. Also, if it gets there - they might just leave F1 for a long time once again, let's say 30 years.

As for Pirelli, I am very unsatisfied with the situation. It is right to have one supplier. I hated to have two suppliers, since one of them was ususally so much better, that it made car development and racing unimportant. The heart of the problem is that they do not even need to give exclusive information to anyone. It is enough if an F1 team "shares" with them a development direction, and it just somehow "unconsciously" affects the kind of tyre they bring to the season. It can happen anyday, and there is no way to attack this successfully in a court. This is a systematic problem, and I am not accusing anyone, yet. But the possibility is there to corrupt the system, and F1 is as corrupt as it gets. I seriously think they should make tires available 1 year ahead, otherwise the belief in neutrality of Pirelli will not be possible to maintain.

#18075 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 13:01

Hembery seems to be around Whitmarsh a lot, yet Pirelli is an Italian company which would like to see undoubtedly Ferrari on the front row. If you begin to compile circumstantial evidence that way, it looks really conspiratorial, but is it true? Car design direction and data of some kind (I do not know details) were allegedly exchanged between Bridgestone and Ferrari in the past, and I wonder if presence of Michelin, and desire beating them had to do something with it, but with sole supplier it would be sad to find today that we have on hands similar case.

Edited by Sakae, 26 March 2012 - 13:01.

#18076 schubacca

schubacca

• 800 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 13:16

Hey, I know that Merc is not as strong in race trim....

But

I seem to be more excited this year than last. I am being bold here...... But seeing that there is a lot of prognosticating going on....

I feel that MS may win a race this year..... (I have not rational argument, just a hope/feeling!!!:)

Best regards,

Edited by schubacca, 26 March 2012 - 13:17.

#18077 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 13:22

Posted Image

Schumy looks a bit waisted... not having much fun lately. :well:

#18078 Rol

Rol

• 114 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 13:26

Hembery seems to be around Whitmarsh a lot, yet Pirelli is an Italian company which would like to see undoubtedly Ferrari on the front row. If you begin to compile circumstantial evidence that way, it looks really conspiratorial, but is it true? Car design direction and data of some kind (I do not know details) were allegedly exchanged between Bridgestone and Ferrari in the past, and I wonder if presence of Michelin, and desire beating them had to do something with it, but with sole supplier it would be sad to find today that we have on hands similar case.

I have been following F1 too long to forget about all my illusions with this business. :well: If there is an easy way to currupt a system, they will do it in F1, it is the nature of it.
I hope not to be conspirational, I even think that the situation is quite good in the moment with noone having a great advantage. I just think it would be in the interest of F1 to have all the teams sit together and create a tyre system that allows the least temptation for human corruption. Of course you will never eliminate it totally, but the kind of efforts like "all teams can be present when Pirelli testing" are just not good enough. My recommendation is to have tires well before development. I do not see a point why tires should be developed for every race only a few months-weeks ahead. Bring them exactly a year ahead instead.

#18079 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 14:34

It is increasingly becoming harder and harder, but I believe that not all of us are bad. In some eastern cultures it is being considered as a part of the fine art of war-strategy to befriend you first, just for purpose to defeat you at the end. This philosophy, based on traditional ethics, is immoral to most European cultures, but these days we need to be prepared for everything. Keep the faith, Rol. :)

Advertisement

#18080 Rol

Rol

• 114 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 17:38

It is increasingly becoming harder and harder, but I believe that not all of us are bad. In some eastern cultures it is being considered as a part of the fine art of war-strategy to befriend you first, just for purpose to defeat you at the end. This philosophy, based on traditional ethics, is immoral to most European cultures, but these days we need to be prepared for everything. Keep the faith, Rol. :)

Thanks for the encouragment! :wave: I truly need it! I also do not think that all of us are bad. I believe in virtue ethics, we have to make a call in every single day of our life.
If you create an easy to corrupt system, someone, someday will decide to corrupt it.

The thing you said about eastern war-strategy is very interesting. It would be considered immoral in European cultures, but it surely exists around us as well. Some of the worst things we get in life come from people we considered friends before. Is this developing over time, or is this precalculated? You are right that one has to give enough time before trusting someone to be a true friend.

#18081 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 18:00

Schumy looks a bit waisted... not having much fun lately. :well:

lately? have you seen pictures taken 24hrs before that one?
it's just a picture, don't put too much drama in it

#18082 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 18:01

I feel that MS may win a race this year..... (I have not rational argument, just a hope/feeling!!!:)

how about..the cat was 3rd and 4th in Q so far and we had a freakin Sauber with a shot at the win last time around...
how is that for a reason?

#18083 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:08

btw, look at him here

really not had any fun, he is almost crying...right?

#18084 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:13

This factor hasn't sunk properly with me until now, but fact is, because mid-field is so tight this year, realistically one race you could be a hero, and next race you end up in P14. I am not so sure I like that yo-yo life as much as some other people perhaps do.

#18085 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:16

I tried that last week. It didn't work well. :p

why did you try it and why it didn't worked well for you? :p

#18086 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:20

btw, look at him here

really not had any fun, he is almost crying...right?

Don't think he is close to it. I imagine this was a tough race on him, mentally because he couldn't turn his 3rd place on the grid into something meaningful, and physically, because it's very tough driving a car in these conditions if you can't just rely on it. I imagine next race he will be up and running again.

#18087 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:23

I detect certain tiredness in him when he searches for suitable words to stay civil and hopeful. I think those are increasingly difficult moments.

#18088 weston

weston

• 375 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:40

This factor hasn't sunk properly with me until now, but fact is, because mid-field is so tight this year, realistically one race you could be a hero, and next race you end up in P14. I am not so sure I like that yo-yo life as much as some other people perhaps do.

You are not alone. After two races it looks like F1 runs tyre lottery and Pirelli wins the WCC. In 2012 Prost, the professor, ie. a tyre manager software on a laptop is the king and fighters with high raw speed, such as Senna was, are the losers. I do not like it.

#18089 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 13:12

Schumi Onboard start 3-4 laps:

#18090 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 18:05

There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom around, but I'm actually enjoying the season.

Yes there have been 2 very frustrating races. But what matters is that Michael seems to be driving much better at the moment, and is still hungry for a fight. I really enjoyed those start laps in the video posted by Jomyboy, it was fun to ride onboard with Michael as he regained positions after his spin. He was right on it trying to make back places as soon as the car was underway again.

The qualifying sessions have also been fun to watch, its great to see Michael display some genuine pace again. He is still on the grid on the merit of being a very good current GP driver and is still capable of taking the fight to the likes of Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren, its impressive to see 21 years in.

We haven't really seen what this season holds yet. The Melbourne surface is unlike many of the tracks, and wet races are often a lottery. It may well be that on purpose built race tracks in warm weather we see a much more clearly established order to the cars, and hopefully the Merc will be capable of being in range of podiums at least. I'd like to think that in his probable final year if Michael is given a sniff of a chance he still has the talent to take it, and I'm hoping this year we get to see that.

#18091 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 18:21

We have seen how important it is not to loose contact with front of the field, if your aspiration are both titles. Sebastian had a bad start in 2010, but at the end it went to the wire. This year it might be even more difficult. I am not convinced that Michael and his team can loose more races like first two, and I am hoping that their (not too much spoken about) target is higher than P3 in final standings, despite all rhetoric we hear.

#18092 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 18:28

It was nice to see that onboard stuff, thanks. He looks reasonably comfortable even in the wet there, the car looks sooo much better to drive this year. I liked his 3 little overtakes straight after the spin - right back into it.

#18093 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 19:18

It was nice to see that onboard stuff, thanks. He looks reasonably comfortable even in the wet there, the car looks sooo much better to drive this year. I liked his 3 little overtakes straight after the spin - right back into it.

The spin probably brought the tyres into the correct 'operating window' for that brief 30 seconds or so :lol:

#18094 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,864 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 20:43

I was surprised to see him make less corrections in the wet in the middle of the pack than he used to make last year in dry conditions!!! The car does indeed seem to be much easier to drive but the race pace is still not there.

#18095 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:01

Tire issues, whatever they are, is not exclusive to Mercedes, thus to isolate this team as the only one that has lost the fight is not very accurate. Secondly, we went through only two races, and if anything, Malaysia proved that situation can perform U-turn in matter of one weekend. Predictions at this stage are rather very tricky business.

They still have a good adavantage in qualifying with the stalled front wing and now they need to work on the obvious. That qualy advantage is a big help and may pay off for them this year for at least a few podiums as the car will have a sweet spot at some tracks one would expect.

Ross Brawn and others were there when they developed the Ferrari to heat it's tyres slowly so they must have some ideas about whats going on.

#18096 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:00

why did you try it and why it didn't worked well for you? :p

Because MS bad luck continues. :rotfl: As usual.

#18097 as65p

as65p

• 18,462 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:08

I was surprised to see him make less corrections in the wet in the middle of the pack than he used to make last year in dry conditions!!! The car does indeed seem to be much easier to drive but the race pace is still not there.

That's simply the way to drive in the wet, for every driver/car. You can't saw around at the wheel on slippery surface... I mean, that even applies to road cars, doesn't it?

#18098 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,752 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:01

Tricky conditions are misleading.

But when it's dry the difference in Michael's driving between 2010/2011 and today are immense. Also, compared to last year when i don't remember him ever nailing his first quali lap (in either Q1,Q2 or Q3), now he is on it from the first moment.

That's what makes me hopeful that good things are to come. He just needs a little bit of luck.

Edited by Diablobb81, 28 March 2012 - 10:01.

#18099 as65p

as65p

• 18,462 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:03

Tricky conditions are misleading.

But when it's dry the difference in Michael's driving between 2010/2011 and today are immense. Also, compared to last year when i don't remember him ever nailing his first quali lap (in either Q1,Q2 or Q3), now he is on it from the first moment.

That's what makes me hopeful that good things are to come. He just needs a little bit of luck.

Indeed, that appears the biggest difference. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong when I dismissed the EBD as the root of MS' qualifying troubles last year. So far it looks as this might really have been the case.

Advertisement

#18100 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:45

Indeed, that appears the biggest difference. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong when I dismissed the EBD as the root of MS' qualifying troubles last year. So far it looks as this might really have been the case.

I also thought, that nothing would change in qualifying as Nico was basically always ahead even in times, in which MGP had no EBD - but looking back at the time, i can see that the gaps were at least closer than for the most part of 2011. But we shouldn´t forget that Pirelli modified the rear-tyres..so that might also play a role.

However it´s just been 2 Qualifying-sessions and i don´t think MSC really turned the tables 180 degrees, but it at least one can expect that it will stay pretty close between the two.

I´m really interested to see, what happens in China. It usually appeared to be a bogey-track for MSC. If that stays so, it might be a case of "bad timing" - last year MGP had it´s best race-performance there. Without the fuel-issues Nico might have got a podium-finish. Maybe i´m wrong again though.... :cool: