Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#18101 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,755 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 18:01

I feel that MS may win a race this year..... (I have not rational argument, just a hope/feeling!!!:)

how about..the cat was 3rd and 4th in Q so far and we had a freakin Sauber with a shot at the win last time around...
how is that for a reason?

Advertisement

#18102 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,755 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:08

btw, look at him here

really not had any fun, he is almost crying...right?

#18103 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:13

This factor hasn't sunk properly with me until now, but fact is, because mid-field is so tight this year, realistically one race you could be a hero, and next race you end up in P14. I am not so sure I like that yo-yo life as much as some other people perhaps do.

#18104 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:16

I tried that last week. It didn't work well. :p

why did you try it and why it didn't worked well for you? :p

#18105 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:20

btw, look at him here

really not had any fun, he is almost crying...right?

Don't think he is close to it. I imagine this was a tough race on him, mentally because he couldn't turn his 3rd place on the grid into something meaningful, and physically, because it's very tough driving a car in these conditions if you can't just rely on it. I imagine next race he will be up and running again.

#18106 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:23

I detect certain tiredness in him when he searches for suitable words to stay civil and hopeful. I think those are increasingly difficult moments.

#18107 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:40

This factor hasn't sunk properly with me until now, but fact is, because mid-field is so tight this year, realistically one race you could be a hero, and next race you end up in P14. I am not so sure I like that yo-yo life as much as some other people perhaps do.

You are not alone. After two races it looks like F1 runs tyre lottery and Pirelli wins the WCC. In 2012 Prost, the professor, ie. a tyre manager software on a laptop is the king and fighters with high raw speed, such as Senna was, are the losers. I do not like it.

#18108 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 13:12

Schumi Onboard start 3-4 laps:

#18109 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 18:05

There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom around, but I'm actually enjoying the season.

Yes there have been 2 very frustrating races. But what matters is that Michael seems to be driving much better at the moment, and is still hungry for a fight. I really enjoyed those start laps in the video posted by Jomyboy, it was fun to ride onboard with Michael as he regained positions after his spin. He was right on it trying to make back places as soon as the car was underway again.

The qualifying sessions have also been fun to watch, its great to see Michael display some genuine pace again. He is still on the grid on the merit of being a very good current GP driver and is still capable of taking the fight to the likes of Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren, its impressive to see 21 years in.

We haven't really seen what this season holds yet. The Melbourne surface is unlike many of the tracks, and wet races are often a lottery. It may well be that on purpose built race tracks in warm weather we see a much more clearly established order to the cars, and hopefully the Merc will be capable of being in range of podiums at least. I'd like to think that in his probable final year if Michael is given a sniff of a chance he still has the talent to take it, and I'm hoping this year we get to see that.

#18110 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 18:21

We have seen how important it is not to loose contact with front of the field, if your aspiration are both titles. Sebastian had a bad start in 2010, but at the end it went to the wire. This year it might be even more difficult. I am not convinced that Michael and his team can loose more races like first two, and I am hoping that their (not too much spoken about) target is higher than P3 in final standings, despite all rhetoric we hear.

#18111 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 18:28

It was nice to see that onboard stuff, thanks. He looks reasonably comfortable even in the wet there, the car looks sooo much better to drive this year. I liked his 3 little overtakes straight after the spin - right back into it.

#18112 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,026 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 19:18

It was nice to see that onboard stuff, thanks. He looks reasonably comfortable even in the wet there, the car looks sooo much better to drive this year. I liked his 3 little overtakes straight after the spin - right back into it.

The spin probably brought the tyres into the correct 'operating window' for that brief 30 seconds or so :lol:

#18113 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,365 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 20:43

I was surprised to see him make less corrections in the wet in the middle of the pack than he used to make last year in dry conditions!!! The car does indeed seem to be much easier to drive but the race pace is still not there.

#18114 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:01

Tire issues, whatever they are, is not exclusive to Mercedes, thus to isolate this team as the only one that has lost the fight is not very accurate. Secondly, we went through only two races, and if anything, Malaysia proved that situation can perform U-turn in matter of one weekend. Predictions at this stage are rather very tricky business.

They still have a good adavantage in qualifying with the stalled front wing and now they need to work on the obvious. That qualy advantage is a big help and may pay off for them this year for at least a few podiums as the car will have a sweet spot at some tracks one would expect.

Ross Brawn and others were there when they developed the Ferrari to heat it's tyres slowly so they must have some ideas about whats going on.

#18115 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:00

why did you try it and why it didn't worked well for you? :p

Because MS bad luck continues. :rotfl: As usual.

#18116 as65p

as65p

• 17,293 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:08

I was surprised to see him make less corrections in the wet in the middle of the pack than he used to make last year in dry conditions!!! The car does indeed seem to be much easier to drive but the race pace is still not there.

That's simply the way to drive in the wet, for every driver/car. You can't saw around at the wheel on slippery surface... I mean, that even applies to road cars, doesn't it?

#18117 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,522 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:01

Tricky conditions are misleading.

But when it's dry the difference in Michael's driving between 2010/2011 and today are immense. Also, compared to last year when i don't remember him ever nailing his first quali lap (in either Q1,Q2 or Q3), now he is on it from the first moment.

That's what makes me hopeful that good things are to come. He just needs a little bit of luck.

Edited by Diablobb81, 28 March 2012 - 10:01.

#18118 as65p

as65p

• 17,293 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:03

Tricky conditions are misleading.

But when it's dry the difference in Michael's driving between 2010/2011 and today are immense. Also, compared to last year when i don't remember him ever nailing his first quali lap (in either Q1,Q2 or Q3), now he is on it from the first moment.

That's what makes me hopeful that good things are to come. He just needs a little bit of luck.

Indeed, that appears the biggest difference. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong when I dismissed the EBD as the root of MS' qualifying troubles last year. So far it looks as this might really have been the case.

#18119 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:45

Indeed, that appears the biggest difference. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong when I dismissed the EBD as the root of MS' qualifying troubles last year. So far it looks as this might really have been the case.

I also thought, that nothing would change in qualifying as Nico was basically always ahead even in times, in which MGP had no EBD - but looking back at the time, i can see that the gaps were at least closer than for the most part of 2011. But we shouldn´t forget that Pirelli modified the rear-tyres..so that might also play a role.

However it´s just been 2 Qualifying-sessions and i don´t think MSC really turned the tables 180 degrees, but it at least one can expect that it will stay pretty close between the two.

I´m really interested to see, what happens in China. It usually appeared to be a bogey-track for MSC. If that stays so, it might be a case of "bad timing" - last year MGP had it´s best race-performance there. Without the fuel-issues Nico might have got a podium-finish. Maybe i´m wrong again though.... :cool:

Advertisement

#18120 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:52

I detect certain tiredness in him when he searches for suitable words to stay civil and hopeful. I think those are increasingly difficult moments.

Well, he's looked worse for some interviews in the past two years - particularly in 2010. I'm certain though he was quite disappointed by the day's result in a different way.

#18121 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:10

It's easier to fix a fast car than it is to fix a slow car.

One advantage the good qualifying speed has is it shows up any problems at those speeds and stresses so at least that will help shorten development time.

Otherwise a typical team increases it's speed they haven't been at before and discover unforeseen problems related to those speeds.

#18122 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:15

Im pleased with the start to the year, at least Michael has something to work with unlike in 10' and 11

#18123 Mestrades

Mestrades

• 92 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:37

We have seen how important it is not to loose contact with front of the field, if your aspiration are both titles. Sebastian had a bad start in 2010, but at the end it went to the wire. This year it might be even more difficult. I am not convinced that Michael and his team can loose more races like first two, and I am hoping that their (not too much spoken about) target is higher than P3 in final standings, despite all rhetoric we hear.

What are you talking about? Have you seen the Mercedes pace in the race? You know that race is where you earn points? The qualification does not matter! I believe you have not seen the two races if you really think this team will achieve a better result than the third in the constructors' championship. WAKE UP! OMG! Remember the 2 last years!

#18124 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:55

What are you talking about? Have you seen the Mercedes pace in the race? You know that race is where you earn points? The qualification does not matter! I believe you have not seen the two races if you really think this team will achieve a better result than the third in the constructors' championship. WAKE UP! OMG! Remember the 2 last years!

I am not sure why we have to compare 2012 car with previous models. Whilst I cannot quantify progress made this year, fact remains, that it is undoubtedly a different car. Michael stated, that he was in a race trim on Saturday, thus yes, we have seen a car in a race trim, and problems encountered in past two races are on any judgmental scale not representative how the team develops or stagnate for balance of the season. I am willing to give them time before I shall fall into a trap of massive mental disorder. China might be a third bad one in a row, but it is nowhere written that this is a permanent condition. Remember situation with engines that were blowing up like fuses, yet today it is fixed. Car will be fixed, if they do not pull out before that because of perceived mistreatment they are subjected to on the commercial side.

#18125 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 16:07

Did anyone consider this years performance (so far at least) also puts a bit of a dent in the "MS can only drive cars with TC" myth ....  ;)

#18126 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:20

Did anyone consider this years performance (so far at least) also puts a bit of a dent in the "MS can only drive cars with TC" myth .... ;)

Nah, he has TC this year! Must be, otherwise he wouldn't be performing this well! :smoking:

#18127 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:22

Maybe the car is not fast? Maybe it is DRS thing only that helps in Q? Without it the car is not that fast.

#18128 Snuggie

Snuggie

• 71 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:36

I am rather disappointing in Michael and Nico's mixed weather performance, because I know they can both be fantastic in those conditions.
Regarding Merc's pace - I will rather wait for a weekend in normal conditions. Sepang and Melbourne free practice showed that race pace is not even close as bad as it actually was in the race.

#18129 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:03

If temperature of your tires is not in proper operating range, this condition affects car speed, and a driver can do very little about it, if anything at all. Put it differently, car is slow on cold tires, and until they correct that, we should not be perhaps too critical of drivers.

Edited by Sakae, 29 March 2012 - 11:04.

#18130 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,522 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 18:11

In case anyone missed it here is Michael's Q3 lap :

http://www.formula1.com/video/onboard/

#18131 Schumywdcf1

Schumywdcf1

• 32 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 18:16

wow, fantastic lap :clap: :up:

#18132 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 18:17

The telemetry does show some throttle while braking - not as much as maybe he used to or you would expect from him though?

#18133 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 18:47

Maybe the car is not fast? Maybe it is DRS thing only that helps in Q? Without it the car is not that fast.

You missed my point, the car's speed in 'Q' currently shows them the car's problems or characteristics at those speeds that they may have otherwise come across in the future and proved to be a barrier.

Lets say for example they didn't have the Q speed now, maybe going 1 second per lap faster in the near future would show up cooling issues or suspension flex, maybe a brake problem - but they have that covered now because they have sampled and have data from the car at those speeds already. This will save time against other teams who will have to face these problems when they hit their own faster speeds for the very first time.

#18134 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:06

wow, fantastic lap :clap: :up:

Fantastic lap? I hope you are enjoying the moment when he's missing apex in T14 and T15 and losing pole as a consequence.

This lap only confirms Mercedes had a car to be on pole both weekends, but their drivers underperformed.

#18135 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,755 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:16

and you did manage to quantify that taking a different apex lost him pole?
wow, you're really good!
an honor to have you around. Let me guess, you're some sort of expert?

#18136 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,522 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:29

Don't you know he is the resident apex expert?

If only he wouldn't be so busy whining on the forum, he would take poles left and right in F1.

Edited by Diablobb81, 30 March 2012 - 07:29.

#18137 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,627 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:35

I couldn't find michaels Onboard only Lewis's ?

#18138 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:40

The second(right) one with Malaysia below? Lewis lap is for Australia.

#18139 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,023 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:59

So you say that the Mercedes were fast if it wasn't slow?

Advertisement

#18140 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:41

click on the Malaysian link

#18141 libano

libano

• 235 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:48

and you did manage to quantify that taking a different apex lost him pole?
wow, you're really good!
an honor to have you around. Let me guess, you're some sort of expert?

he's genetically superior. that's why he's putting his supernatural abilities to good use to save mankind.

oh, wait...

#18142 baddog

baddog

• 23,445 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:54

Fantastic lap? I hope you are enjoying the moment when he's missing apex in T14 and T15 and losing pole as a consequence.

You crawled back and THAT is the best you can do? A completely stupid point about a corner you clearly haven't watched anyone driving through all weekend? We were expecting something of you.. you could have been a contender.. a new Frans. Now look at you.

Michael lost time twice on the lap, but not there. And no-one else drove it better on televised laps.

#18143 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:02

You crawled back and THAT is the best you can do? A completely stupid point about a corner you clearly haven't watched anyone driving through all weekend? We were expecting something of you.. you could have been a contender.. a new Frans. Now look at you.

Epic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#18144 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:22

We were expecting something of you.. you could have been a contender.. a new Frans. Now look at you.

:lol: :lol: :up:

#18145 jjpm

jjpm

• 239 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:32

gap behind Schumacher at the end(had a nice 360° and was 15th as race resumed after red flag)
Vettel 25.531
Rosberg 28.598
Button 29.724
Massa 47.323

MSC lap's faster than :
ALO : 15 times : 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 41, 42, 43, 44, 49, 50, 55, 56
HAM : 13 times : 7, 8, 9, 10 12, 13 15, 41, 42, 44, 47, 53, 56
RAI : 17 times : 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16, 22, 23, 38, 41, 42, 43, 44, 47, 49
ROS : 34 times : 4,5, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56

#18146 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:35

gap behind Schumacher at the end(had a nice 360° and was 15th as race resumed after red flag)
Vettel 25.531
Rosberg 28.598
Button 29.724
Massa 47.323

MSC lap's faster than :
ALO : 15 times : 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 41, 42, 43, 44, 49, 50, 55, 56
HAM : 13 times : 7, 8, 9, 10 12, 13 15, 41, 42, 44, 47, 53, 56
RAI : 17 times : 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16, 22, 23, 38, 41, 42, 43, 44, 47, 49
ROS : 34 times : 4,5, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56

Pretty interesting. Looking on the numbers it's quite ovbious where he lost out pace-wise to Alonso and Hamilton, roughly between laps 15 to 40.. after that things looked a lot better.

#18147 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:24

So you say that the Mercedes were fast if it wasn't slow?

Not sure if troll or not.

The Benz is fast but it's being held back - far better situation than making an inherently slow car fast.

#18148 Schumywdcf1

Schumywdcf1

• 32 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:01

i couldn't find michaels Onboard only Lewis's

if you are using ipad or other mobile device, then you cannot see...it is not showing up in ipad version
thats what happened to me, so i then used PC and it worked

Edited by Schumywdcf1, 31 March 2012 - 05:09.

#18149 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:47

huge difference to to the w02 .. just look how early he's on the throttle coming out of slow corners :up:

#18150 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 17:08

if you are using ipad or other mobile device, then you cannot see...it is not showing up in ipad version
thats what happened to me, so i then used PC and it worked

I see only spinning green light, and hear engine noise, that's all.