Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#18151 davissi

davissi

• 51 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 21:21

Fantastic lap? I hope you are enjoying the moment when he's missing apex in T14 and T15 and losing pole as a consequence.

This lap only confirms Mercedes had a car to be on pole both weekends, but their drivers underperformed.

What do you know about racing lines ? That line is quicker, he's going a damn site quicker through the corner than if he was sat on the apex. Obviously you know nothing. Watch some onboards from the Ferrari era, he never troubled the apex on certain corners and even Massa took that style back in 2006.
The only time on those onboards that he couldve gained time is if the car had more grip coming out of corners to take a better radius curve not having to walk the car out due to a slight lack of front downforce.

This board is full of pure ignorance and mouths.

Edited by davissi, 30 March 2012 - 21:22.

Advertisement

#18152 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:29

What do you know about racing lines ?

He gets to change gears for Mum sometimes on the way to the shops.

Watch some onboards from the Ferrari era, he never troubled the apex on certain corners .

Indeed, MS was never one to go bouncing over curbs often staying noticeably away from them in contrast to say Hamilton who seemingly has no concern about them.

Edited by cheapracer, 31 March 2012 - 09:31.

#18153 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 13:08

I am not disagreeing with much of what was said earlier, but regarding curb-riding, Michael has done it as a next guy. Not too long ago I was watching race in Austria from about ten years ago, and he was using every millimeter of the track, including curbs.

#18154 sharo

sharo

• 1,771 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 14:51

What if kerbs contribute to Pirelli tyre disintegration?

#18155 Schumywdcf1

Schumywdcf1

• 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 15:03

I am not disagreeing with much of what was said earlier, but regarding curb-riding, Michael has done it as a next guy. Not too long ago I was watching race in Austria from about ten years ago, and he was using every millimeter of the track, including curbs.

Austria track is different
It has almost flat Kerbs so anyone who doesn't use it will be slow
Like the new hockenheim

But the t15 and 14 at sepang you are better off for those high Kerbs coz both lead to long straight so avoiding the Kerbs and on power early is the fastest route there

Edited by Schumywdcf1, 31 March 2012 - 15:05.

#18156 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 15:05

What if kerbs contribute to Pirelli tyre disintegration?

Riding rough curbs would be detrimental from more than just aspect. At the moment some of us are wondering about tires being during race out of temp. operating range. In Melbourne probably too hot, in Malaysia probably too cold.

#18157 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 15:08

Austria track is different
It has almost flat Kerbs so anyone who doesn't use it will be slow
Like the new hockenheim

But the t15 and 14 at sepang you are better off for those high Kerbs coz both lead to long straight so avoiding the Kerbs and on power early is the fastest route there

...yes, agree, which is why you do not catch him to ride curbs too often. (I merely thought that one cannot state flat out, that he never rides curbs, because that would not be entirely accurate).

#18158 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 17:53

I merely thought that one cannot state flat out, that he never rides curbs, because that would not be entirely accurate.

My post is quite clear.

#18159 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:14

My post is quite clear.

Sorry, initially my comment was addressed to something else I saw, but cannot find right now. Perhaps it was deleted.

Advertisement

#18160 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:18

Fantastic lap? I hope you are enjoying the moment when he's missing apex in T14 and T15 and losing pole as a consequence.

This lap only confirms Mercedes had a car to be on pole both weekends, but their drivers underperformed.

I agree with you that he lost time in those last 2 corners and missing the apex is rarely the fastest way. I already said that his lap was not perfect when we were debating MSC X ROS in qualifying. Schumacher's lap could have been even better which only shows how he really was faster than Rosberg there. Nico had a very small lock up in T1 but that didn't jeopardized his racing line/apex, which would most likely account for less than any of the Schumi mistake you spotted.

About Mercedes having car for pole, don't be ridiculous. In Melbourne, it could have beaten Grosjean but that's it. Mclarens were out of reach and your claim that Nico lost pole on his lock up for T3 is completely amateurish. He would not even beat his team mate without that, never mind pole. For Sepang, even if Schumi got these 2 last corners right and was marginally faster than Hamilton's time, it's worthy mention that Lewis had a lock up, in last turn, which lead him to oversteer and miss the apex(much worse than any lock up of Nico in Melbourne or Sepang). That mistake probably cost around 2 tenths for Lewis and shows that Mclaren was, still, the fastest car.

he's genetically superior. that's why he's putting his supernatural abilities to good use to save mankind.

oh, wait...

where does this "genetically superior" thing comes from when you guys talk to Mastah? When did he claimed such things? I missed that

Indeed, MS was never one to go bouncing over curbs often staying noticeably away from them in contrast to say Hamilton who seemingly has no concern about them.

:up:

Schumi, on his prime, rarely used kerbs. He only used, and abused, them when the track had flat ones or on low speed corners. Hamilton, as you said, is a driver who really abuses of Kerbs, as Alonso, Trulli and some others.

...yes, agree, which is why you do not catch him to ride curbs too often. (I merely thought that one cannot state flat out, that he never rides curbs, because that would not be entirely accurate).

He used kerbs on places where is, practically, mandatory in order to make a fast lap. Schumi have always been the cleanest driver regarding kerbs usage. I remember from 91 to 94, guys like Senna, Mansell and some others, abusing of kerbs as well while Schumi used only the "actual track" on fast corners.

Edited by Kubiccia, 31 March 2012 - 18:23.

#18161 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:49

Niki Lauda: Michael Schumacher's driving style fits again

"In the duel of the Mercedes-pilot training, it is surprising 2-0 for Michael Schumacher. Kimi Raikkonen goes after his comeback as if it had never given a break. Niki Lauda analyzes why the two older men suddenly have the upper hand.

In the duel Michael Schumacher against Nico Rosberg in 2010 and 2011 there was a clear winner. Rosberg Schumacher stole the show. In practice more than in the race. The comparison of the fastest practice laps Rosberg won 15:4 and 16:3. In the race he had to 142:72 and 89:76 also points ahead. But the tide has turned. In the first two Grand Prix, Michael Schumacher was two times before Nico Rosberg on the grid. And the race has been a point of the old masters. The account of his younger colleagues 16 years is currently empty.

Rosberg, the infallible in training, makes a sudden failure. Twice he started the decisive qualifying round with a Verbremser. Schumacher, who was criticized in the past two years for a variety of mishaps leaves, suddenly flawless. Formula 1 runs? Not for Niki Lauda. The three-time former world champion believes the new balance of power in a Mercedes logical development.
AMGW03 is the first silver arrow, which is calculated

Michael Schumacher came back simply at the wrong time. He got by Mercedes held up a car that did not harmonize with his driving style. "When you come back as Schumacher after three years break and get such a critical car," Lauda argues, "then you are fighting with you and your car. You do not want to admit that there is no faster and try to force to achieve more. Here you will slow down. Michael had everything had changed in the three-year break, re-learn. He is doggedly to the thing worked and it also went over the limit. The Rosberg knew only these types of cars. He has a slightly quieter driving style as Michael, and was ideal for this unpredictable Mercedes. "

The new Mercedes AMGW03 is the first real race car in the modern Silver Arrow era. One that is not surprising that pilots with capricious reactions. One that works logically. "Now, Schumacher forcing the car back with his aggressive driving style of his will. The car comes to meet him virtually. Nico goes on to limit its clean, but this is a car that aggressiveness forgive, just not enough." Now comes the head in the game. Rosberg suddenly feels the defense team colleagues, with whom he had not expected. "And that provokes mistakes."
http://translate.goo...er-4630636.html

#18162 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 373 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:16

Niki Lauda: Michael Schumacher's driving style fits again

"In the duel of the Mercedes-pilot training, it is surprising 2-0 for Michael Schumacher. Kimi Raikkonen goes after his comeback as if it had never given a break. Niki Lauda analyzes why the two older men suddenly have the upper hand.

In the duel Michael Schumacher against Nico Rosberg in 2010 and 2011 there was a clear winner. Rosberg Schumacher stole the show. In practice more than in the race. The comparison of the fastest practice laps Rosberg won 15:4 and 16:3. In the race he had to 142:72 and 89:76 also points ahead. But the tide has turned. In the first two Grand Prix, Michael Schumacher was two times before Nico Rosberg on the grid. And the race has been a point of the old masters. The account of his younger colleagues 16 years is currently empty.

Rosberg, the infallible in training, makes a sudden failure. Twice he started the decisive qualifying round with a Verbremser. Schumacher, who was criticized in the past two years for a variety of mishaps leaves, suddenly flawless. Formula 1 runs? Not for Niki Lauda. The three-time former world champion believes the new balance of power in a Mercedes logical development.
AMGW03 is the first silver arrow, which is calculated

Michael Schumacher came back simply at the wrong time. He got by Mercedes held up a car that did not harmonize with his driving style. "When you come back as Schumacher after three years break and get such a critical car," Lauda argues, "then you are fighting with you and your car. You do not want to admit that there is no faster and try to force to achieve more. Here you will slow down. Michael had everything had changed in the three-year break, re-learn. He is doggedly to the thing worked and it also went over the limit. The Rosberg knew only these types of cars. He has a slightly quieter driving style as Michael, and was ideal for this unpredictable Mercedes. "

The new Mercedes AMGW03 is the first real race car in the modern Silver Arrow era. One that is not surprising that pilots with capricious reactions. One that works logically. "Now, Schumacher forcing the car back with his aggressive driving style of his will. The car comes to meet him virtually. Nico goes on to limit its clean, but this is a car that aggressiveness forgive, just not enough." Now comes the head in the game. Rosberg suddenly feels the defense team colleagues, with whom he had not expected. "And that provokes mistakes."
http://translate.goo...er-4630636.html

Sorry but Niki is full of nonsense. I remember was MS's biggest critique when MS was reeling around in 2010-2011. Now just because he's 2-0 to Nico, and suddenly MS has adapted, had re-learn and all this nonsense? :down:

#18163 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:27

Sorry but Niki is full of nonsense. I remember was MS's biggest critique when MS was reeling around in 2010-2011.

Yup, Niki had a little too much to say back then to be considered now.

Don't know why they do it, is it "Starstruck" syndrome that when a microphone gets put in their face they just dribble the first controversial things that come to mind so people think they are important/knowledgeable?

I rate Niki very highly historically as a driver along with JYS, but they are dickheads in front of a microphone.

#18164 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,609 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:51

Don't know why they do it, is it "Starstruck" syndrome that when a microphone gets put in their face they just dribble the first controversial things that come to mind so people think they are important/knowledgeable?

I rate Niki very highly historically as a driver along with JYS, but they are dickheads in front of a microphone.

As much as it pains me to say it, I completely agree. I love Niki for what he did in the sport, but his opinions are often guff - not just about MS, he often talks rubbish about drivers. Its a shame as he clearly knows what he is talking about with regards racing and driving.

#18165 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:54

I am not excessively preoccupied with what former drivers commenting about individual current drivers, but by sheer coincidence I sort of agree with him on the point, that Michael seems to have a car now which is more to the liking than previous two models. If it is enough to be competitive remains to be seen. I am not sure what's Rosberg's problem right now, but could be, that nothing with the car per se, but that old Schumacher is back in the office. (I saw first time Lauda at Kyalami, and cheered for him; pretty tough cookie on the track).

#18166 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:11

True.

How many times have we heard that MS should retire? Before he retired in 2006? How many experts have said that he has lost the plot?

Now, he is acquitting himself very well in an F1 car.

At 42, he is a role-model for youngsters showing them how important it is to believe in themselves.

This chaps career has spanned the tail end of Prost, Senna, and encompassed DH, JV, MH, JPM, RS, JB, KR, FA and he is still proving himself worthy.

People that talk about mistakes need to look at their idol du jour as see how they are performing.

SV is a great driver and worthy 2x WDC...... He ran into another car....

LH, FA, JB...... All have made mistakes this season..... Yet some are focusing on MS missing two apexes in quali.....?

#18167 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 15:26

LH, FA, JB...... All have made mistakes this season..... Yet some are focusing on MS missing two apexes in quali.....?

I agree. Schumi has been doing wonderfully this year. His luck with the team just seems dastardly so far. However, I'm really hoping that he'll get a win or so this year. He sure deserves it for the efforts he's putting in.

I do believe Rosberg is driving as fast as he can, hence his mistakes in qualifying. Once the driver is on the limit, the mistakes become more frequent.

#18168 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:48

F1 comeback easy with 'good car' - Raikkonen
http://www.motorspor...-car-raikkonen/

#18169 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 373 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:59

True.

How many times have we heard that MS should retire? Before he retired in 2006? How many experts have said that he has lost the plot?

Now, he is acquitting himself very well in an F1 car.

At 42, he is a role-model for youngsters showing them how important it is to believe in themselves.

This chaps career has spanned the tail end of Prost, Senna, and encompassed DH, JV, MH, JPM, RS, JB, KR, FA and he is still proving himself worthy.

People that talk about mistakes need to look at their idol du jour as see how they are performing.

Excellent post.

#18170 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:23

Lack of testing was always going to make the first race a bit of a lottery (relative) and then we had a true lottery race with the second race.

Making any judgements at all is a bit silly other than it would appear Macca, Benz and Loti are fast in qualy and Macca are very fast in the race with RBR seemingly easy on tyres - the rest we just don't know until we get a couple more realistic races to see everybody's form.

These real facts however haven't stopped many threads of assessment of the season to date and it's impending future :lol:

#18171 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 18:04

Stupid question perhaps, but who is Michael's current race engineer? I know they switched things around a bit last year and Jock Clear did it at least for a couple of races, but is he still there?

#18172 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 18:28

There is not much in the print about it. Some time ago there was speculation that he will be reunited with his old Ferrari buddy, but since then I haven't heard.

#18173 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 19:21

Stupid question perhaps, but who is Michael's current race engineer? I know they switched things around a bit last year and Jock Clear did it at least for a couple of races, but is he still there?

I think it is Bono(Peter Bonnington) and Clear. Like last year.

#18174 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 20:33

A picture of the trio (Peter, Jock and Michael) from the Australian GP this year.

Posted Image

#18175 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 709 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 21:34

A picture of the trio (Peter, Jock and Michael) from the Australian GP this year.

Michael and Jock look so ****ing badass, the other guy looks a little bit scared. :rotfl:

#18176 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:26

I remember the A1 Ring 2003 race very well, looking back at the weekend, it is probabley one of the weekends that in my mind shows you the committment, dedication and competitive nature of Schumacher

The qualifying pole
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

The pole lap was impressive as Kimi's lap was very good as well

The pitstop fire

It'll always go down as one of the pitstop dramatic moments of the last decade, but the image of fuel burning and sitting in the car, wanting to get out to win the race is competitive nature proved in life and death!

The race speed to repair damage from the time lost in fire pits.

At the time, because Schuey had made a habit of winning, I didn't actually look at how well he did all weekend, the whole weekend has it's challenge, and in terms of 2003 for his 6th title which he won by a point I remember, it was a tricky season because of the tyre war, you had to perform well on a track your rubber was performing well at, as another race like france Michael was pushing to fight the michelin cars of mclaren/williams and renault, and he still got the podium, he did do some impressive stuff in 2003, even for the races he didnt win, it was a complex season, and A1 Ring secures my belief of him having a game plan to maximise weekends to keep a title fight going, the tyre war was unpredictable in parts in 2003, it was fasinating on some weekends where bridgstone/ferrari struggled and we got a unexpected thriller.

Juan Montoya goes around Michael Schumacher at the Nurburgring 2003

I remember this at the time, and Schumacher undestood the rules enough, whatever reason his own mistake or not, spun off kept the engine running, and how important where those points come end of the year. All these decisions you make even for not races that your going to win, fighting for points as hard as wins sealed that 6th title. If he won 2002 the fastest anyone as won the title before, he defended 2003 as well as could be expected given the challenges/tyre war, it was interesting middle chapter in that 5 title ferrari reign.

Edited by SeanValen, 07 April 2012 - 04:34.

#18177 maleinblack

maleinblack

• 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:03

OT, but is that Sebastian Vettel in the Ferrari pits? 1:48-1:54 in the video?

#18178 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:15

OT, but is that Sebastian Vettel in the Ferrari pits? 1:48-1:54 in the video?

Looks like him.

#18179 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:08

Cheers for those vids, I sometimes forget how great F1 was back then and how great Michael was.

Advertisement

#18180 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:32

Cheers for those vids, I sometimes forget how great F1 was back then and how great Michael was.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#18181 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,609 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:07

Great post Sean, cheers :up:

#18182 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:09

I remember this at the time, and Schumacher undestood the rules enough, whatever reason his own mistake or not, spun off kept the engine running, and how important where those points come end of the year.

Whatever reason? I think that video is explanatory enough to understand what happened.

#18183 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:19

Almost one week to go :well:
The car should be suited to the track, Nico should be strong there but it was not the luckiest place for Michael so far.
Hope for the first trouble free race under good conditions :clap:

#18184 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:51

Almost one week to go :well:
The car should be suited to the track, Nico should be strong there but it was not the luckiest place for Michael so far.
Hope for the first trouble free race under good conditions :clap:

His win 06 was pretty jammy.

#18185 discover23

discover23

• 3,533 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:02

I remember the A1 Ring 2003 race very well, looking back at the weekend, it is probabley one of the weekends that in my mind shows you the committment, dedication and competitive nature of Schumacher

The qualifying pole

The pole lap was impressive as Kimi's lap was very good as well

The pitstop fire

It'll always go down as one of the pitstop dramatic moments of the last decade, but the image of fuel burning and sitting in the car, wanting to get out to win the race is competitive nature proved in life and death!

The race speed to repair damage from the time lost in fire pits.

At the time, because Schuey had made a habit of winning, I didn't actually look at how well he did all weekend, the whole weekend has it's challenge, and in terms of 2003 for his 6th title which he won by a point I remember, it was a tricky season because of the tyre war, you had to perform well on a track your rubber was performing well at, as another race like france Michael was pushing to fight the michelin cars of mclaren/williams and renault, and he still got the podium, he did do some impressive stuff in 2003, even for the races he didnt win, it was a complex season, and A1 Ring secures my belief of him having a game plan to maximise weekends to keep a title fight going, the tyre war was unpredictable in parts in 2003, it was fasinating on some weekends where bridgstone/ferrari struggled and we got a unexpected thriller.

I remember this at the time, and Schumacher undestood the rules enough, whatever reason his own mistake or not, spun off kept the engine running, and how important where those points come end of the year. All these decisions you make even for not races that your going to win, fighting for points as hard as wins sealed that 6th title. If he won 2002 the fastest anyone as won the title before, he defended 2003 as well as could be expected given the challenges/tyre war, it was interesting middle chapter in that 5 title ferrari reign.

Austria 2003 JPM had a blown engine from the lead. it would have been nice to have watched Shumi and JPM battle for the win in this race. Montoya's 2 engine failures this year probably cost him the title.

#18186 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:57

Austria 2003 JPM had a blown engine from the lead. it would have been nice to have watched Shumi and JPM battle for the win in this race. Montoya's 2 engine failures this year probably cost him the title.

Your giving JPM too much credit and not looking at areas where he lost the title when he had the chances:

Montoya spun out while leading the Albert Park GP for the win, a lottery gp, but he spin out once he realised he was in for the win, and admitted so.

Montoya's qualifying for Monza 2003 wasn't quite the steller job the car was capable of, Schumacher got pole with a finer qualifying menality under championship expectations. and fought with Montoya on the first lap and prevailed.

Montoya was too eager to pass Rubens in Indy 2003, his race was ruined and ended his championship there. Schumacher kept cool under various conditions to take the win, and with the old points sytem, which favoured wins, he would of clinch the title at this race, it was the new points system brought in after 2002 to slow down race winner's leads, as Schumacher and Ferrari had done so well.

As the championship was closing up, Montoya had the car to do something, but now overtaking people wasn't the only thing he needed to do, he needed to deliver consistent results for a team that was capable of doing so on a number of tracks, and he did on some, but he lost alot of points as mensitoned above when it was in his own hands.

Kimi was better in applying his driving skills and he showed that at Mclaren against JPM and in 2003.

I do wonder just how Kimi or Alonso would of done instead of Montoya and Ralf at Williams in 2003, I do like Montoya for moments he had with Schumacher, and there is a interview with Schumacher in current f1 racing mag, where Montoya admits that's he's become a better driver after racing with Schumacher.

I think if Schumacher actually taught Montoya and Montoya listened, Montoya would be a world champion by now say in a Massa type 2008 performance, I think he learnt his lessons too late when he had the chances. I think F1 was a wake up call for Montoya, in that racing with Schumacher and watching him, and Kimi etc, he realised for once, that maybe these really are the best drivers in the world, and I wasn't expecting to have much to learn. I like Montoya now more, but he was disappointing at the time because we knew he had talent, but I don't think he could accept he needed to work at it. The hype around him was good stuff, good for f1, but he wasn't the f1 driver that we wanted on paper, he was missing that extra committment.

I think Kimi is so natural and he doesn't need to immerse himself, while Schumacher is text book technical in applying himself over the whole weekend and year. Montoya wasn't expecting it to be as hard I think, and he knows that now, especially wtih Alonso/Vettel and not just Schumacher/Kimi. He was a good character though and at times delivered what we expected of him, but he also showed just how good Schumacher and Kimi are as well, and without Montoya you wouldn't of perhaps appreciated Schumacher and Kimi during those seasons as much, you needed someone who is a bit more laid back, Montoya's hamburgers and diets were a issue, but some liked him for that, it's good to have bigmac! a bigmac, get into a f1 car, get pole in the williams and fight with schumacher, look I can pass Schumacher on a diet of bigmac, I must be good to do it without the same hard work.

Eat bigmac, hamburger and pass Schumacher in the Senna S at Brazil 2001, and the move was so hyped up by the press, you would of thought Schumacher had met his equel then and there. Really at the time people thought Montoya was the next Senna and Michael said after the race
"It was a real racey move, a racer's move, but it takes more then one overtake to win the championship."
Montoya and his big BMW engine grunt, it was fun times!

Montoya overtaking Schumacher Brazil 2001

Schumacher chases Montoya Onboard Brazil 2001 , very entertaining.

I think Montoya was good at Brazil,, it was one of the few tracks that he delivered a showing.I enjoyed watching him drive at Brazil.

Indy 2003 highlights

Edited by SeanValen, 08 April 2012 - 03:44.

#18187 Schumywdcf1

Schumywdcf1

• 32 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:47

Thanks for those great memories Sean
After seeing those videos it's really nostalgic

#18188 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,436 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:18

Your giving JPM too much credit and not looking at areas where he lost the title when he had the chances:

I recall doing the numbers on 2003 a few years ago, if you gave all three contenders perfect reliability, i.e give them back positions lost by technical failures and adjust others in accordingly, the year would have ended with Montoya champion then Raikkonnen then Schumacher.

Michael benefitted enormously from Ferarri's near perfect reliability.

#18189 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:24

I recall doing the numbers on 2003 a few years ago, if you gave all three contenders perfect reliability, i.e give them back positions lost by technical failures and adjust others in accordingly, the year would have ended with Montoya champion then Raikkonnen then Schumacher.

I guess he have some part in that too? It is team sport also. Everything counts.

#18190 baddog

baddog

• 23,294 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:24

Yes but that is a fundamentally flawed way of thinking. Reliability is not random, it is earned, and often bought at the cost of a few grams here and there with the corresponding speed. Maybe that perfectly reliable Williams would have been a shade slower, enough to make a difference.

#18191 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,436 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:39

I guess he have some part in that too? It is team sport also. Everything counts.

Beyong not clouting the kerbs too hard and avoiding contact with rivals I'm not sure what any modern driver can do to help reliability. You can maybe bounce the engine off the rev limiter on the striaghts all race long but in 2003 there was no full tank - low tank change through the race, no imposed rev limit, no KERS or DRS to alter straight line speed so it was quite rare.

You can't over rev, can't miss a gear, can't burn out the clutch and melting the brakes is rare.

Modern reliability isn't really in a drivers hands any more, it's defined at the design and build stage.

#18192 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,436 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:40

Yes but that is a fundamentally flawed way of thinking. Reliability is not random, it is earned, and often bought at the cost of a few grams here and there with the corresponding speed. Maybe that perfectly reliable Williams would have been a shade slower, enough to make a difference.

Maybe, but then again Ferrari had perfect reliability and the fastest car on the grid for a few seasons so it's possible to gain one without losing the other.

#18193 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:44

Maybe, but then again Ferrari had perfect reliability and the fastest car on the grid for a few seasons so it's possible to gain one without losing the other.

It's the same as saying: if team X had made a faster car, driver Y would have been champion.

Examples:
if Ferrari had built a faster car in 1997, Jerez controversy would never have existed and Schumacher would have been champion at the Japanese GP.
if Minardi had built a faster car in 2001, Alonso would've been champion in his debut season.

#18194 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,609 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:27

Beyong not clouting the kerbs too hard and avoiding contact with rivals I'm not sure what any modern driver can do to help reliability. You can maybe bounce the engine off the rev limiter on the striaghts all race long but in 2003 there was no full tank - low tank change through the race, no imposed rev limit, no KERS or DRS to alter straight line speed so it was quite rare.

You can't over rev, can't miss a gear, can't burn out the clutch and melting the brakes is rare.

Modern reliability isn't really in a drivers hands any more, it's defined at the design and build stage.

You can have the car well sorted enough that you don't have to push it, and hence don't stress critical components. I'm with baddog, the McLaren and Williams packages may well have sacrificied some reliability for speed. Its not for nothing that Newey cars are known as 'fast but fragile', it can happen.

#18195 dde

dde

• 800 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:38

With ifs...If Bridgestone had been as good as Michelin in 2003 instead of being dramatically weak during all the summer, there would be no ifs.

#18196 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:03

Michael Schumacher greeted by fans at the airport upon his arrival in Shanghai, China.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: Added some more pictures
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by merschu, 11 April 2012 - 14:03.

#18197 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:30

Michael looks rested.

#18198 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:19

His fashion sense continues to baffle me!
Posted Image

Edited by merschu, 12 April 2012 - 07:20.

#18199 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:14

His fashion sense continues to baffle me!
Posted Image

It is not him ,it is his partners(sponsors). :wave: They produce strange clothing.

Edited by ivand911, 12 April 2012 - 08:14.

Advertisement

#18200 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:15

It is not him ,it is his partners(sponsors). :wave: They produce strange clothing.

heh, no seriously. its him. haha cracks me up the stuff he wears