Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#18151 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:23

SV is a great driver and worthy 2x WDC...... He ran into another car....

LH, FA, JB...... All have made mistakes this season..... Yet some are focusing on MS missing two apexes in quali.....?

Lack of testing was always going to make the first race a bit of a lottery (relative) and then we had a true lottery race with the second race.

Making any judgements at all is a bit silly other than it would appear Macca, Benz and Loti are fast in qualy and Macca are very fast in the race with RBR seemingly easy on tyres - the rest we just don't know until we get a couple more realistic races to see everybody's form.

These real facts however haven't stopped many threads of assessment of the season to date and it's impending future :lol:

Advertisement

#18152 pUs

pUs

• 2,577 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 18:04

Stupid question perhaps, but who is Michael's current race engineer? I know they switched things around a bit last year and Jock Clear did it at least for a couple of races, but is he still there?

#18153 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 18:28

There is not much in the print about it. Some time ago there was speculation that he will be reunited with his old Ferrari buddy, but since then I haven't heard.

#18154 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 19:21

Stupid question perhaps, but who is Michael's current race engineer? I know they switched things around a bit last year and Jock Clear did it at least for a couple of races, but is he still there?

I think it is Bono(Peter Bonnington) and Clear. Like last year.

#18155 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 20:33

A picture of the trio (Peter, Jock and Michael) from the Australian GP this year.

Posted Image

#18156 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 739 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 21:34

A picture of the trio (Peter, Jock and Michael) from the Australian GP this year.

Michael and Jock look so ****ing badass, the other guy looks a little bit scared. :rotfl:

#18157 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,972 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:26

I remember the A1 Ring 2003 race very well, looking back at the weekend, it is probabley one of the weekends that in my mind shows you the committment, dedication and competitive nature of Schumacher

The qualifying pole
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

The pole lap was impressive as Kimi's lap was very good as well

The pitstop fire

It'll always go down as one of the pitstop dramatic moments of the last decade, but the image of fuel burning and sitting in the car, wanting to get out to win the race is competitive nature proved in life and death!

The race speed to repair damage from the time lost in fire pits.

At the time, because Schuey had made a habit of winning, I didn't actually look at how well he did all weekend, the whole weekend has it's challenge, and in terms of 2003 for his 6th title which he won by a point I remember, it was a tricky season because of the tyre war, you had to perform well on a track your rubber was performing well at, as another race like france Michael was pushing to fight the michelin cars of mclaren/williams and renault, and he still got the podium, he did do some impressive stuff in 2003, even for the races he didnt win, it was a complex season, and A1 Ring secures my belief of him having a game plan to maximise weekends to keep a title fight going, the tyre war was unpredictable in parts in 2003, it was fasinating on some weekends where bridgstone/ferrari struggled and we got a unexpected thriller.

Juan Montoya goes around Michael Schumacher at the Nurburgring 2003

I remember this at the time, and Schumacher undestood the rules enough, whatever reason his own mistake or not, spun off kept the engine running, and how important where those points come end of the year. All these decisions you make even for not races that your going to win, fighting for points as hard as wins sealed that 6th title. If he won 2002 the fastest anyone as won the title before, he defended 2003 as well as could be expected given the challenges/tyre war, it was interesting middle chapter in that 5 title ferrari reign.

Edited by SeanValen, 07 April 2012 - 04:34.

#18158 maleinblack

maleinblack

• 37 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:03

OT, but is that Sebastian Vettel in the Ferrari pits? 1:48-1:54 in the video?

#18159 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:15

OT, but is that Sebastian Vettel in the Ferrari pits? 1:48-1:54 in the video?

Looks like him.

Advertisement

#18160 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:08

Cheers for those vids, I sometimes forget how great F1 was back then and how great Michael was.

#18161 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 610 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:32

Cheers for those vids, I sometimes forget how great F1 was back then and how great Michael was.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#18162 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:07

Great post Sean, cheers :up:

#18163 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:09

I remember this at the time, and Schumacher undestood the rules enough, whatever reason his own mistake or not, spun off kept the engine running, and how important where those points come end of the year.

Whatever reason? I think that video is explanatory enough to understand what happened.

#18164 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:19

Almost one week to go :well:
The car should be suited to the track, Nico should be strong there but it was not the luckiest place for Michael so far.
Hope for the first trouble free race under good conditions :clap:

#18165 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:51

Almost one week to go :well:
The car should be suited to the track, Nico should be strong there but it was not the luckiest place for Michael so far.
Hope for the first trouble free race under good conditions :clap:

His win 06 was pretty jammy.

#18166 discover23

discover23

• 4,615 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:02

I remember the A1 Ring 2003 race very well, looking back at the weekend, it is probabley one of the weekends that in my mind shows you the committment, dedication and competitive nature of Schumacher

The qualifying pole

The pole lap was impressive as Kimi's lap was very good as well

The pitstop fire

It'll always go down as one of the pitstop dramatic moments of the last decade, but the image of fuel burning and sitting in the car, wanting to get out to win the race is competitive nature proved in life and death!

The race speed to repair damage from the time lost in fire pits.

At the time, because Schuey had made a habit of winning, I didn't actually look at how well he did all weekend, the whole weekend has it's challenge, and in terms of 2003 for his 6th title which he won by a point I remember, it was a tricky season because of the tyre war, you had to perform well on a track your rubber was performing well at, as another race like france Michael was pushing to fight the michelin cars of mclaren/williams and renault, and he still got the podium, he did do some impressive stuff in 2003, even for the races he didnt win, it was a complex season, and A1 Ring secures my belief of him having a game plan to maximise weekends to keep a title fight going, the tyre war was unpredictable in parts in 2003, it was fasinating on some weekends where bridgstone/ferrari struggled and we got a unexpected thriller.

I remember this at the time, and Schumacher undestood the rules enough, whatever reason his own mistake or not, spun off kept the engine running, and how important where those points come end of the year. All these decisions you make even for not races that your going to win, fighting for points as hard as wins sealed that 6th title. If he won 2002 the fastest anyone as won the title before, he defended 2003 as well as could be expected given the challenges/tyre war, it was interesting middle chapter in that 5 title ferrari reign.

Austria 2003 JPM had a blown engine from the lead. it would have been nice to have watched Shumi and JPM battle for the win in this race. Montoya's 2 engine failures this year probably cost him the title.

#18167 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,972 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:57

Austria 2003 JPM had a blown engine from the lead. it would have been nice to have watched Shumi and JPM battle for the win in this race. Montoya's 2 engine failures this year probably cost him the title.

Your giving JPM too much credit and not looking at areas where he lost the title when he had the chances:

Montoya spun out while leading the Albert Park GP for the win, a lottery gp, but he spin out once he realised he was in for the win, and admitted so.

Montoya's qualifying for Monza 2003 wasn't quite the steller job the car was capable of, Schumacher got pole with a finer qualifying menality under championship expectations. and fought with Montoya on the first lap and prevailed.

Montoya was too eager to pass Rubens in Indy 2003, his race was ruined and ended his championship there. Schumacher kept cool under various conditions to take the win, and with the old points sytem, which favoured wins, he would of clinch the title at this race, it was the new points system brought in after 2002 to slow down race winner's leads, as Schumacher and Ferrari had done so well.

As the championship was closing up, Montoya had the car to do something, but now overtaking people wasn't the only thing he needed to do, he needed to deliver consistent results for a team that was capable of doing so on a number of tracks, and he did on some, but he lost alot of points as mensitoned above when it was in his own hands.

Kimi was better in applying his driving skills and he showed that at Mclaren against JPM and in 2003.

I do wonder just how Kimi or Alonso would of done instead of Montoya and Ralf at Williams in 2003, I do like Montoya for moments he had with Schumacher, and there is a interview with Schumacher in current f1 racing mag, where Montoya admits that's he's become a better driver after racing with Schumacher.

I think if Schumacher actually taught Montoya and Montoya listened, Montoya would be a world champion by now say in a Massa type 2008 performance, I think he learnt his lessons too late when he had the chances. I think F1 was a wake up call for Montoya, in that racing with Schumacher and watching him, and Kimi etc, he realised for once, that maybe these really are the best drivers in the world, and I wasn't expecting to have much to learn. I like Montoya now more, but he was disappointing at the time because we knew he had talent, but I don't think he could accept he needed to work at it. The hype around him was good stuff, good for f1, but he wasn't the f1 driver that we wanted on paper, he was missing that extra committment.

I think Kimi is so natural and he doesn't need to immerse himself, while Schumacher is text book technical in applying himself over the whole weekend and year. Montoya wasn't expecting it to be as hard I think, and he knows that now, especially wtih Alonso/Vettel and not just Schumacher/Kimi. He was a good character though and at times delivered what we expected of him, but he also showed just how good Schumacher and Kimi are as well, and without Montoya you wouldn't of perhaps appreciated Schumacher and Kimi during those seasons as much, you needed someone who is a bit more laid back, Montoya's hamburgers and diets were a issue, but some liked him for that, it's good to have bigmac! a bigmac, get into a f1 car, get pole in the williams and fight with schumacher, look I can pass Schumacher on a diet of bigmac, I must be good to do it without the same hard work.

Eat bigmac, hamburger and pass Schumacher in the Senna S at Brazil 2001, and the move was so hyped up by the press, you would of thought Schumacher had met his equel then and there. Really at the time people thought Montoya was the next Senna and Michael said after the race
"It was a real racey move, a racer's move, but it takes more then one overtake to win the championship."
Montoya and his big BMW engine grunt, it was fun times!

Montoya overtaking Schumacher Brazil 2001

Schumacher chases Montoya Onboard Brazil 2001 , very entertaining.

I think Montoya was good at Brazil,, it was one of the few tracks that he delivered a showing.I enjoyed watching him drive at Brazil.

Indy 2003 highlights

Edited by SeanValen, 08 April 2012 - 03:44.

#18168 Schumywdcf1

Schumywdcf1

• 32 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:47

Thanks for those great memories Sean
After seeing those videos it's really nostalgic

#18169 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,709 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:18

Your giving JPM too much credit and not looking at areas where he lost the title when he had the chances:

I recall doing the numbers on 2003 a few years ago, if you gave all three contenders perfect reliability, i.e give them back positions lost by technical failures and adjust others in accordingly, the year would have ended with Montoya champion then Raikkonnen then Schumacher.

Michael benefitted enormously from Ferarri's near perfect reliability.

#18170 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:24

I recall doing the numbers on 2003 a few years ago, if you gave all three contenders perfect reliability, i.e give them back positions lost by technical failures and adjust others in accordingly, the year would have ended with Montoya champion then Raikkonnen then Schumacher.

I guess he have some part in that too? It is team sport also. Everything counts.

#18171 baddog

baddog

• 24,040 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:24

Yes but that is a fundamentally flawed way of thinking. Reliability is not random, it is earned, and often bought at the cost of a few grams here and there with the corresponding speed. Maybe that perfectly reliable Williams would have been a shade slower, enough to make a difference.

#18172 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,709 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:39

I guess he have some part in that too? It is team sport also. Everything counts.

Beyong not clouting the kerbs too hard and avoiding contact with rivals I'm not sure what any modern driver can do to help reliability. You can maybe bounce the engine off the rev limiter on the striaghts all race long but in 2003 there was no full tank - low tank change through the race, no imposed rev limit, no KERS or DRS to alter straight line speed so it was quite rare.

You can't over rev, can't miss a gear, can't burn out the clutch and melting the brakes is rare.

Modern reliability isn't really in a drivers hands any more, it's defined at the design and build stage.

#18173 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,709 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:40

Yes but that is a fundamentally flawed way of thinking. Reliability is not random, it is earned, and often bought at the cost of a few grams here and there with the corresponding speed. Maybe that perfectly reliable Williams would have been a shade slower, enough to make a difference.

Maybe, but then again Ferrari had perfect reliability and the fastest car on the grid for a few seasons so it's possible to gain one without losing the other.

#18174 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:44

Maybe, but then again Ferrari had perfect reliability and the fastest car on the grid for a few seasons so it's possible to gain one without losing the other.

It's the same as saying: if team X had made a faster car, driver Y would have been champion.

Examples:
if Ferrari had built a faster car in 1997, Jerez controversy would never have existed and Schumacher would have been champion at the Japanese GP.
if Minardi had built a faster car in 2001, Alonso would've been champion in his debut season.

#18175 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:27

Beyong not clouting the kerbs too hard and avoiding contact with rivals I'm not sure what any modern driver can do to help reliability. You can maybe bounce the engine off the rev limiter on the striaghts all race long but in 2003 there was no full tank - low tank change through the race, no imposed rev limit, no KERS or DRS to alter straight line speed so it was quite rare.

You can't over rev, can't miss a gear, can't burn out the clutch and melting the brakes is rare.

Modern reliability isn't really in a drivers hands any more, it's defined at the design and build stage.

You can have the car well sorted enough that you don't have to push it, and hence don't stress critical components. I'm with baddog, the McLaren and Williams packages may well have sacrificied some reliability for speed. Its not for nothing that Newey cars are known as 'fast but fragile', it can happen.

#18176 dde

dde

• 800 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:38

With ifs...If Bridgestone had been as good as Michelin in 2003 instead of being dramatically weak during all the summer, there would be no ifs.

#18177 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:03

Michael Schumacher greeted by fans at the airport upon his arrival in Shanghai, China.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: Added some more pictures
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by merschu, 11 April 2012 - 14:03.

#18178 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:30

Michael looks rested.

#18179 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:19

His fashion sense continues to baffle me!
Posted Image

Edited by merschu, 12 April 2012 - 07:20.

Advertisement

#18180 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:14

His fashion sense continues to baffle me!
Posted Image

It is not him ,it is his partners(sponsors). :wave: They produce strange clothing.

Edited by ivand911, 12 April 2012 - 08:14.

#18181 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,336 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:15

It is not him ,it is his partners(sponsors). :wave: They produce strange clothing.

heh, no seriously. its him. haha cracks me up the stuff he wears

#18182 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:28

Posted Image

#18183 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:06

Without Hamilton in the running currently - do you think we will see a pole or front row slow for Michael? It will be very interesting to see how Rosberg does in the 3rd quali aswell.

#18184 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:09

Without Hamilton in the running currently - do you think we will see a pole or front row slow for Michael? It will be very interesting to see how Rosberg does in the 3rd quali aswell.

Front row for MS is possibility.

#18185 BRK

BRK

• 3,653 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:09

Seems like an eternity since the last time he was back in action, I hope Bahrain goes ahead as planned. :lol:

#18186 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:32

Great interview with Schumi

#18187 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 14:56

So, you are his closet admirer after all.

#18188 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 17:22

indeed. surprise, surprise he likes other tracks more than this one. He never got the balance right at this track so far.
The car lacks speed in high speed corners in comparison to slow and medium-speed corners.

#18189 pUs

pUs

• 2,577 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 19:34

Thanks, great interview! :up:

#18190 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:59

Good chance of a front row starting slot tomorrow! All I'm really hoping for is a clean weekend so we can see what Schumi's unaffected race pace in this W03 is.

#18191 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:07

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/75548.html

Schumacher says: bring it on! Sounds happy.

#18192 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:16

thnx interesting :up:

great to see Schumi back in front
hope he can manage a front row spot for the race

:cool:

#18193 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,757 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:18

I just for an incident free race.

#18194 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:26

Front row would help with the incident free, so long as he gets a nice start.

#18195 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 13:04

He was happy with car balance. First step then accomplished, another three to go this weekend.

#18196 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 16:24

So, you are his closet admirer after all.

Don't have to be an admirer to respect him. :D

#18197 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 19:41

Don't have to be an admirer to respect him. :D

Not a common enough sentiment, that. I don't support Fred, but believe he's the best driver on the grid, I think Hamilton's a tw*t, but believe he's the most gifted driver on the grid. After all, constantly saying your hero's main rivals are shite only serves to downplay his own ability should he beat them.

#18198 RedRider

RedRider

• 8 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 19:51

Schumi will grab Pole if the weather holds (dry) :rotfl: . Alonso will be lucky to make to top ten. the 2012 Ferrari is a Dog!!. :lol: Same for Kimi. The lotus doesn't seem to like this track.

#18199 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:10

Hrmmm. Pretty good qualifying from Michael, and his first front row start of his comeback. All very exciting!!

But but but... Nico just destroyed him there, didn't he?

Still, it was an incredible lap from Nico, he'll struggle to do a whole race of those tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if Mercedes can pull away or get swallowed up when they can't use DRS on the long straights.

Advertisement

#18200 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:12

Nicos first lap was much better yes, but as we're hearing the track was quicker at the start of Q3 - it may be as simple as a small mistake by Schumacher on his lap.

Reasonable qualifying from him and certainly great lap by Nico.