Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#18351 Goron3

Goron3

• 621 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 16:04

At quick, flowing circuits he will fly no doubt.

Valencia, Abu Dhabi and maybe even bahrain I'd put money on Rosberg.

Advertisement

#18352 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,361 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 16:52

He's had quite a bit of bad luck this year, hasn't he? Three setbacks in three races, all of which were not his fault.

Full confidence he'll get things back under control, though. He's been quicker than Nico thus far except at China, so there's every reason to believe that this race is more the exception that proves the rule rather than the natural order this year, but time will tell.

Very glad to see that Merc has got their car sorted, though--on a good weekend, Nico will be the only obstacle Schu faces on the way to victory.

#18353 jjpm

jjpm

• 239 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 17:27

Really bad luck with the retirement, but then he was totally blown away by Rosbergs pace as long as they were both on track. The gap at the finish would have been nasty

I disagree with this statement because both drivers where not on the same setup. The changes made by Nico and his crew which permit him to grab the pole position were not made to Michael's car. IMO this explain the pace difference between the two at that point in the race. And we know Michael's ability to steadily improve its pace as the race goes on.

#18354 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 18:08

Sad outcome but lets think positive: the car is capable, this track is far from MS favourite yet podium was realistic, more suitable tracks are coming... Bad luck has to run out eventually ;)

I was so sure it would run out after two weekends... I guess we'll have to wait a hair more ;)

Edited by exmayol, 15 April 2012 - 18:08.

#18355 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 22:08

Funny Chinese interview with Michael and the others... :lol:
http://www.youtube.c...chumacher China

#18356 scarletf12002

scarletf12002

• 77 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 22:45

[quote name='Pits' date='Apr 15 2012, 23:08' post='5664333']
Funny Chinese interview with Michael and the others... :lol:
http://www.youtube.c...chumacher China
[/quot

That must have been one of the difficult interviews yet! Hats off to schumacher & Hamilton for looking some what professional! Alonso & co looked like they were on a school trip lol .. too funny!

#18357 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 00:56

The pitstop that ruined MS race. :(

#18358 nateshan

nateshan

• 132 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 00:58

I was a bit disappointed, Was really rooting for MS ):

Nico owned him in Quali and Race. There was an early sign of NR's pace in the long runs after the fast laps in FP3. What I was wondering was, why did mercedes not pit MS on the same lap as Button, given button was only 1.1 secs behind him? Button was starting to lose his pace to MS a few laps before he pitted. May be mercedes was trying to take a chance and see if they can work out 2 stop strategy? Anyway, 3 races and MS was hit with bad luck on all three of them? Every driver has bad luck in atleast one race in a season, I hope all the bad luck is behind MS for this season :confused:

Edited by nateshan, 16 April 2012 - 01:00.

#18359 Dodi_napalm

Dodi_napalm

• 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:08

Spain
Canada
Monaco
Suzuka
Spa
Monza
Silverstone - he was good there
Singapore- He was good there
India
Brasil

ok if so his world champion 2012 then.. :)
:clap: :clap:

Advertisement

#18360 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 442 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:28

I think the key is for MS to have a podium finish just once...possibly the next race. By doing so, i'm pretty much sure he'll have his confidence boosted, and he will be on attack mode from that race onwards.

Bahrain will be a hot race. Lets see if they have already managed to solve their tyre issues by that time.

#18361 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:37

I think the key is for MS to have a podium finish just once...possibly the next race. By doing so, i'm pretty much sure he'll have his confidence boosted, and he will be on attack mode from that race onwards.
Bahrain will be a hot race. Lets see if they have already managed to solve their tyre issues by that time.

I think he saw Nico on the top spot and he is seeing the Red now. He is already on attack mode. The problem is, he can't finish on three wheels.
Do they use one team for changing tyres, or they have two teams? If it is two ,then MS team sucks.

Edited by ivand911, 16 April 2012 - 09:33.

#18362 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:32

I doubt Schumacher suffers from a lack of confidence.

#18363 Jovcar

Jovcar

• 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 13:55

In Belgium will be his 300 race. Must win. :)

#18364 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 13:59

Disappointed. It's almost as if EVERYTHING works against Michael. All I wanted was a top 3 finish, nothing more. Just seeing him on the podium. Ah...

Like Hill's face in Australia '94. What Goes Around... Comes Around

#18365 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 14:00

I think he saw Nico on the top spot and he is seeing the Red now. He is already on attack mode. The problem is, he can't finish on three wheels.
Do they use one team for changing tyres, or they have two teams? If it is two ,then MS team sucks.

there's one pitcrew for both drivers

#18366 scarletf12002

scarletf12002

• 77 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 14:18

You really need to get over that! Bad for your health to hold grudge for that long..

#18367 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 14:21

Right. Just a few titles before things came around. Six or so..

#18368 chrisaix

chrisaix

• 67 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 14:25

Good read. I know victory is imminent for michael, i believe in you still.

http://www.yallaf1.c...-my-whole-life/

#18369 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 15:56

This has been done to death. Does it have to be dragged up every couple of pages on this thread?

Damon himself said a long time ago he should not have gone for that gap as it was always dissapearing. Damon also appears to have gotten over it - maybe you could try doing the same?

#18370 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,009 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 16:17

This has been done to death. Does it have to be dragged up every couple of pages on this thread?

Damon himself said a long time ago he should not have gone for that gap as it was always dissapearing. Damon also appears to have gotten over it - maybe you could try doing the same?

Really? I certainly remember him saying that in hindsight he should have waited, but that was because he later knew that MS would not have been able to finish the race from his off. I don't remember him saying that it was somehow his mistake for trying to pass.

Edited by Jazza, 16 April 2012 - 16:20.

#18371 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 16:51

I've never been a MS fan and he's probably my least favorite among the champions on the grid. But I really feel sorry for him yesterday. He could have possibly finished on the podium or at least a handful of points. But he surely is driving better this year since his return.

#18372 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:07

I've never been a MS fan and he's probably my least favorite among the champions on the grid. But I really feel sorry for him yesterday. He could have possibly finished on the podium or at least a handful of points. But he surely is driving better this year since his return.

It's nice to know things like this sometimes--makes us fans feel a little less alone in our despair, to put it one way. :up: Not that I'm too stressed about last weekend's result--I just thought I'd say thanks for the post 'cause I'm sure some people here appreciate it. :p

I'm sure a lot of us in this thread hope he'll be on the podium again soon.

#18373 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:41

It's nice to know things like this sometimes--makes us fans feel a little less alone in our despair, to put it one way. :up: Not that I'm too stressed about last weekend's result--I just thought I'd say thanks for the post 'cause I'm sure some people here appreciate it. :p

I'm sure a lot of us in this thread hope he'll be on the podium again soon.

Am a KR fan so I know the feeling after the results of last weekend. Possible good results ended up in a bad ending. Anyway, new hopes this weekend.

#18374 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,109 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:59

Schumacher's conduct on the race track can often be controversial, with there being no doubt at times that he's acted to the detriment of racing & his image. What also cannot be ignored is how much of a team player he is.

It's not only yesterday where he refused to throw his team under the bus, I'm sure most can recall Suzuka 2006 and his reaction to the blown engine basically ending his title chances for the year.

Some of the best drivers in F1 could still learn a lot from MS about being a team player.

#18375 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:40

I agree with you. That's my point: I hated Schumacher for a long time but I felt a bit sorry for him yesterday. Driving towards his best result since his return... then a silly mistake, not his fault, and to add more fire, his teammate win his first GP AND the first win for Mercedes in years. That must hurt.

#18376 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:23

I agree with you. That's my point: I hated Schumacher for a long time but I felt a bit sorry for him yesterday. Driving towards his best result since his return... then a silly mistake, not his fault, and to add more fire, his teammate win his first GP AND the first win for Mercedes in years. That must hurt.

Yup. And it's good to see that he's now very much of a team-player unlike during Ferrari days and it's good to see him cheer for Rosberg from pitwall.

#18377 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:32

..... and it's good to see him cheer for Rosberg from pitwall.

;) he is a very good diplomate! Sure inside he was very very angry not to be in Nicos place!

#18378 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:39

;) he is a very good diplomate! Sure inside he was very very angry not to be in Nicos place!

...ofcourse, that's natural.

#18379 tifosi4life

tifosi4life

• 347 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:55

...ofcourse, that's natural.

exactly... and if any driver did, they probably should hang up the helmet for good.

Advertisement

#18380 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 22:02

Yup. And it's good to see that he's now very much of a team-player unlike during Ferrari days and it's good to see him cheer for Rosberg from pitwall.

I'd say he's always been a team player, he never used to blame the team, at least he not outside of the team, I think the fact he used to get "preferential treatment" as some call it, was because he was a team player and the team gave back to him what he gave to it, they gave him the best opportunity to win and he gave back to the team more wins than anyone else in Formula 1, to say he didn't used to be a team player is very harsh imo.

#18381 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 22:55

I'd say he's always been a team player, he never used to blame the team, at least he not outside of the team, I think the fact he used to get "preferential treatment" as some call it, was because he was a team player and the team gave back to him what he gave to it, they gave him the best opportunity to win and he gave back to the team more wins than anyone else in Formula 1, to say he didn't used to be a team player is very harsh imo.

Okay wrong choice of word..instead of team-player I think I would just say..never was fair to his teammates in terms of who gets preferencial treatment. Anyway, it's just my personal opinion..

#18382 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:31

I hope that the first win of his return will be even more emphatic than Rosberg's.. And I would actually want it to be in rainy conditions, something not possible in current F1..

On another note there's high chance it's gonna be the last race at Spa for both Schumy and Kimi it would be nice if they can fight for the win with Schumy winning it ( the last King of Spa :p )!

#18383 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:42

Showed a lot of class on Sunday, as he has done all season. Quite similar to the San Marino GP which Ralf won in his immediate comments after retirement.

He is driving, as Martin Brundle said, beautifully this year.

#18384 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:42

Okay wrong choice of word..instead of team-player I think I would just say..never was fair to his teammates in terms of who gets preferencial treatment. Anyway, it's just my personal opinion..

F1 isn't a charity.

If Rubens, for example, had wanted #1 status he needed to force his way to get it by being consistlently faster, and showing the team why he deserved it. Its not good just whining all the time if the other guy happens to be better.

Schumi has always been a team player throughout his career in terms of working hard to get the best from the team.

Out of interest whats your view on Malaysia '99 if he was never fair to his team mates?

#18385 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,109 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:50

I see the ratings genius has failed miserably again to hide his apparent blatant dislike of MS in his race ratings section.

Just can't see how MS can be rated only a 6 for the weekend, which puts him equal lowest of the field!!!!! If NR was great - which he was - and clearly deserved a 10, I'd say MS is probably an 8, 7 if you really want to be harsh. If your team-mate is dominating... and you're 2nd and not holding up the McLarens either, then the team screws you over I wonder what else you're accountable for? He was of course, slower than NR, but then in Malaysia he was a similar amount faster..... there wasn't a 4 point gap in that rating!

However, given some of the silliness in the rating & reasoning this season & last, I can't say I'm surprised, disappointed that a journalist seems to be incapable of hiding bias, but not surprised.

Guess that's why it's all subjective!

#18386 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:56

Leaving the circuit early would be more embarrassing for him :rolleyes:

#18387 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:08

I see the ratings genius has failed miserably again to hide his apparent blatant dislike of MS in his race ratings section.

Just can't see how MS can be rated only a 6 for the weekend, which puts him equal lowest of the field!!!!! If NR was great - which he was - and clearly deserved a 10, I'd say MS is probably an 8, 7 if you really want to be harsh. If your team-mate is dominating... and you're 2nd and not holding up the McLarens either, then the team screws you over I wonder what else you're accountable for? He was of course, slower than NR, but then in Malaysia he was a similar amount faster..... there wasn't a 4 point gap in that rating!

However, given some of the silliness in the rating & reasoning this season & last, I can't say I'm surprised, disappointed that a journalist seems to be incapable of hiding bias, but not surprised.

Guess that's why it's all subjective!

Yes that's pretty much what i wrote at the ratings thread too. If he had finished 2nd let's say 20-25 secs behind Nico an 8 would be fine. At the time of his retirement a 7 would be reasonable due to the gap to Nico but a 6 is ridiculous. He has gotten 8,6,6 imo 7,8,7 would have been more appropriate imo or maybe 8,8,7. And tbh in the first 2 weekends he managed to do exactly what the car could do (in Melbourne he was doing fine till the retirement). The only thing i didn't like at Malaysia was his start and the 10th place that's why i give him a 8. Overall i think his performance are around 7.5 and that's just due to what i saw till his retirement in China which was not great. I hope wins are coming soon to justify everything he has done at least this year. :-)

#18388 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,109 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:17

Yes that's pretty much what i wrote at the ratings thread too. If he had finished 2nd let's say 20-25 secs behind Nico an 8 would be fine. At the time of his retirement a 7 would be reasonable due to the gap to Nico but a 6 is ridiculous. He has gotten 8,6,6 imo 7,8,7 would have been more appropriate imo or maybe 8,8,7. And tbh in the first 2 weekends he managed to do exactly what the car could do (in Melbourne he was doing fine till the retirement). The only thing i didn't like at Malaysia was his start and the 10th place that's why i give him a 8. Overall i think his performance are around 7.5 and that's just due to what i saw till his retirement in China which was not great. I hope wins are coming soon to justify everything he has done at least this year. :-)

Yeah I just wrote a reply in the ratings thread, highlighting the JB vs MS scandal from Malaysia.... worth reading that quote alone if only to see the obvious connotations you can draw from it.

I agree, 8,7,7 sounds fair, and NR would probably be 7,4,10.... making it a 1 point gap in MS favor... can't say that retiring twice from 3rd place & being shoved into a spin on lap 1 is symbolic of a lucky start to the season!

#18389 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:26

Yeah I just wrote a reply in the ratings thread, highlighting the JB vs MS scandal from Malaysia.... worth reading that quote alone if only to see the obvious connotations you can draw from it.

I agree, 8,7,7 sounds fair, and NR would probably be 7,4,10.... making it a 1 point gap in MS favor... can't say that retiring twice from 3rd place & being shoved into a spin on lap 1 is symbolic of a lucky start to the season!

Yep, Autosport's Malaysia ratings were more like trolling tbh. :p
I would give him 8 in Malaysia because i liked his Q3 lap more and i think he achieved the best result possible.
And altough it's OT i think a 4 for NR would be a bit too harsh he didn't do well indeed but his 1 more stop was unreasonable it could have been Schumy in his place because they didn't really know what was going on with the tyres. Still he was slower in general so 5 or 6 would be fine for me and a tie overall just because NR was phenomenal in China. Still, i think Schumy can win the inside battle this year.

#18390 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 16:51

F1 isn't a charity.

If Rubens, for example, had wanted #1 status he needed to force his way to get it by being consistlently faster, and showing the team why he deserved it. Its not good just whining all the time if the other guy happens to be better.

Schumi has always been a team player throughout his career in terms of working hard to get the best from the team.

Out of interest whats your view on Malaysia '99 if he was never fair to his team mates?

Before I tell my view..I'll ask you first about Austria 2001 and that is just one. Anyway, sorry mate..am not here to argue about this. Nevertheless, Schumi is one of the best if not the best, no doubt about it (even am not a Schumi fan) so am not here to criticize Schumi. What I am just saying is that Schumi is not one of most fair among the drivers.

#18391 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,109 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 17:11

Before I tell my view..I'll ask you first about Austria 2001 and that is just one. Anyway, sorry mate..am not here to argue about this. Nevertheless, Schumi is one of the best if not the best, no doubt about it (even am not a Schumi fan) so am not here to criticize Schumi. What I am just saying is that Schumi is not one of most fair among the drivers.

Well to be fair Austria 2001 is nothing compared to Austria 2002. However for all the anger, which was justified fully by the way, you can't ignore some important additions to that fact.

Ferrari - namely Todt, made the call to enforce the contractual rule. Rubens decided to follow it at the last possible moment. I have little doubt that the reception at the podium ceremony made MS deeply uncomfortable.

In return, MS gave at least 1 - INDY, and possibly 3, Hungary, Italy, wins to RB in order to ensure he finished 2nd in the championship. These seem to be regularly forgotten by Rubens when he embarks on one of his whinefests about how badly he was treated at Ferrari.

I think your choice of the word "fair" is perhaps incorrect in regards to this matter. Perhaps it's lost in translation.

MS is probably not the best team-mate to have, because he will force you to go to immense lengths just to keep up with him in terms of team work, relationship building, understanding the car and working together to get it improved. You can't possibly hope to be considered as #1 in the team if you don't match that commitment. But there is also a reason why the Ferrari & now MERC teams respect him so much - and that's probably related to his refusal to throw them under the bus (at least in public, I wouldn't blame him if in the motorhome he was more than a little pissed over some of the cock-ups).

But, there have been many worse team-mates who have shown agreements mean nothing. Some of them even now are still considered great drivers.

#18392 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:04

This is the guy Autosport employs, should there be anything to write about Schumacher

Posted Image

#18393 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:04

This has been done to death. Does it in our historyhave to be dragged up every couple of pages on this thread?

Excellent summation. Gladiator's racing style and track etiquette of that (fresh post-Senna) era is long time gone, and judged differently today. That's part of evolution, and hardly black and white patch.

#18394 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:14

Sign of a champion to strive only for very best. Anyone being happy with anything but P1 in this series probably should seek employment elsewhere.

#18395 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:18

Ferrari - namely Todt, made the call to enforce the contractual rule.

Really? I thought that there is difference between explicit contract, and team's variable strategy for the season as it develops.

#18396 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 17:02

Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel were skydiving in Dubai today. :)

TNT Brothers
Michael Schumacher is one of us.... SKYDIVER. He jumped in Dubai with our load organizer form Bucharest Skydiving... http://fb.me/149IcUIKB

https://twitter.com/#!/TNTBrothers/stat...616313867341826

Posted Image

#18397 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 17:58

I think if we had Sunday warm up session, then MS could go for qualifying without having to worry about race set up too much.

And generallly I think qualifying needs to be kept separate from the race, but because you can't touch the car after qualifying, these cars are not really being pushed by everyone the same way on qualifying day, unless you have a car that can do everything reasonable well, but not everyone has that.

I kinda wish the FIA gave Sunday warm up another life again, we don't need to create more lottery, we need less of it because we have fast drivers and teams.

If Shumacher set his car up for the race why was Rosberg quicker?

That's what i was thinking, Schumacher usually drops back from Ros - then pulls back hard and when they were that close - beats him. Schumacher would have stayed on a 3 stopper, with a high chance of win.

It doesnt make much sense to drive more slowly than you could have gone causing you to lose track position

Edited by hammibal, 18 April 2012 - 17:59.

#18398 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 18:08

If Schumacher set his car up for the race why was Rosberg quicker?

It doesnt make much sense to drive more slowly than you could have gone causing you to lose track position

Rosberg was quicker because he's a better driver around Shanghai, it's one of his best circuits and one of Schumacher's worst.
He also didn't say Schumacher was driving slower than he could have gone, there was just a trend last season when Schumacher would fall back a bit on higher fuel and then as the levels came down catch back up.
But then you're just trying to bait people aren't you?  ;)

#18399 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 19:03

Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel were skydiving in Dubai today. :)

Posted Image

I was going to pass on this, but considering my history with Kubica's off-season racing, I feel obliged to voice my disapproval here as well. Especially on part of Sebastian,who is on treshold of his career in F1. Just plain irresponsible.

I have behind me 13 jumps, and last one really didn't end up well. I am fully recovered, but experience and bad memory stayed with me, how a lot of fun could end up in disaster in fraction of a second.

Advertisement

#18400 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 19:07

Rosberg was quicker because he's a better driver around Shanghai, it's one of his best circuits and one of Schumacher's worst.
He also didn't say Schumacher was driving slower than he could have gone, there was just a trend last season when Schumacher would fall back a bit on higher fuel and then as the levels came down catch back up.
But then you're just trying to bait people aren't you?  ;)

Yes i understand that but thats in the cycle of the tyres but Schumacher never came back at Rosberg towards the end of his stint.

Is it wrong to question the view of some that Schumacher could have beat Rosberg inspite of his obvious lack of pace in his first stint?