Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#19051 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:50

I just get annoyed with those that don't actually read (or listen) to what was actually said - they just have to jump on a "bandwagon" and make up sh!t

Advertisement

#19052 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:56

you can hear it...

#19053 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:03

I can't help but wonder how some of you would have reacted had it been Nico 33 points down and complaining about the tires and not Schumacher. I sense that it may have gone along the lines of, "Rosberg should just man up and quit being so negative, Michael's adapted well............."

I do wonder what treatment Barrichello would have recieved in here had he been struggling with the tyres and complaining about it. I very much doubt he would have been hailed as a brave and ballsy man defending his sport....

:down:

Both these posts are irrelevant and totally off topic. The topic of discussion here is if Michael has a point or not regarding the tyres and their degradation. I dont see how this relates in anyway to an assumed conversation between over eager fans of Schumacher over their reactions about another driver making the same comments. Are you guys simply trying to extract an angry response by riling up Schumacher fans in this thread ?

Edited by MightyMoose, 04 May 2012 - 12:11.
Removed: Trolling is trolling :down:

#19054 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:09

you can hear it...

I can understand Hembrey and Pirelli that they are not happy about whats Michael is talking........

#19055 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:31

that's not why I posted it - I was showing those that have jumped on a bandwagon say it's MS making excuses for lack of results - he's not - he's saying it is not enjoyable to not be able to race at a full pace.

His lack of results have nothing to do with the tyres - but to do with the problems he's had this year.

But haters will be haters I guess and not even listen and read what was actually said.... let alone comprehend it. Add that to someone here - no names mentioned -who obviously hasn't even watched the races....

#19056 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:33

I can understand Hembrey and Pirelli that they are not happy about whats Michael is talking........

Yeah, who cares. Lets focus on Michael happiness.

#19057 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:59

“It’s been a bit exaggerated,” world champion Vettel, referring to the reaction to Schumacher’s comments, is quoted by Sport Bild.

“Ultimately, we all have the same tyres, but of course as a driver you always want more grip, whether from the tyres or from the car.

“It is in our nature to want more — more especially than the others,” he smiled.

WEB>>>

#19058 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:15

see even Vettel agrees it's being exagerrated...they want more. they don't want to run around slower than they can really go

I'll add the rest for those that are too lazy to click on the link - not sure why you didn't post the whole statement :ohwell:

When I talk about this with Michael, it’s not so dramatic. He has been around for a long time and has seen a lot, also when it comes to tyres.

“I don’t think he is so easily shocked,” insisted Vettel.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain where Michael blamed the tyres for his lack of results though....

Edited by Raelene, 04 May 2012 - 08:00.

#19059 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,122 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:10

Exactly!

All this talk about drivers not being able to push 100%...we only started talking about it after MS mentioned it. And prior to that did we know that drivers can not push 100% because of their tyres? No, we did not..

You might have only started talking about it.. Some of us have been saying it since Malaysia 2011.. Heck I even started a thread about it last year entitled " Has F1 just become a tyre management exercise?" wake up

Edited by skid solo, 04 May 2012 - 08:11.

Advertisement

#19060 Pamphlet

Pamphlet

• 414 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:28

I stopped reading when you said that 2010 had great races. LOL.

#19061 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:30

Who have been shouting fake F1??

MS is a racer - he wants to go as fast as possible - it's actually what most racers want (I have a speedway racer in my family - and it is definately what he wants)

and weren't you one of the loudest claiming if he wasn't successful he would use his neck as an excuse to get out....seems some people have more longevity than you do and stick to what they start..

Anyway, I hope you finally get a chance to actually watch the races this year ;)

Edited by MightyMoose, 04 May 2012 - 12:19.
Removed: again aditya is making stuff up...

#19062 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,202 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:34

Yet again, may I remind users to stay on topic and not to attack other users, otherwise posts will be removed.

#19063 libano

libano

• 235 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47

To those who trot out the usual brickbats towards MS:

A phony and cheat is quickly exposed, especially in a scientific, measurable sport like F1. only an absolute fool would pay a phony a fortune to drive for his team. that's why driver salaries are probably the most accurate representation of their worth and overall skill. if anyone could do what michael did throughout his carreer just by bending things to his favour, why didn't the guys at ferrari hire someone much cheaper and achieve the same results?

michael was that good, even in the 2000's.

Edited by MightyMoose, 04 May 2012 - 12:21.
Edited out direct line to Aditya-now, changed text to read a generic response

#19064 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:28

Well, I think 1950 - 1993 and 2010 - 2012 have brought up some great racing that most fans cherish much more than the comparatively bland years 1994 - 2009.

Between 1950 and 1993 there were seasons (e.g. in the 60s) in which teams even used one set of tyres for multiple races, because they were so hard and robust.
Even in the 80s there were enough races in which the majority of the field didn´t not stop for tyres at all and in the other races it was mostly one stop.

btw. I´ve not such a big problem with the Pirellis (at least i prefer it compared to the 2010-Bridgestones). But your facts are just wrong. 50-93 is way different to 11-12 in terms of tyres.

Edited by LiJu914, 04 May 2012 - 09:32.

#19065 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,788 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:46

Michael isn't so far down in the points because of the tyres though - it's because of all the bad luck he has had

His point about the tyres wasn't an "excuse" as to why he is behind....it was a quote about how drivers like to race at 100% - not 60%....

pretty clear...

And it's pretty clear you have not read the numerous post where I have said that he's had a run of bad luck and nothing more. The point I was trying to make was I highly doubt that this debate would have been so heated had the results between Shumacher and Rosberg been reversed. My hypothesis is that if it were Nico on 2 points sans results and race wins and doing the complaining about not being able to push 100% then I am quite sure he would have been vilified around these parts as being a whiner.....

#19066 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,038 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:53

Michael isn't so far down in the points because of the tyres though - it's because of all the bad luck he has had

A great champion knows how to make his luck - it's part of becoming WDC. Look no further than Alonso in 2010 - first half of the season his own mistakes, final race then his team mistake. So he did not become WDC. You can always say that Bahrain 2010 was not his fault (which it was not), however, the result was Fernando's.

So something in the package of Alonso 2010 was missing.

2012: something in the package of Schumacher is missing, as compared to Rosberg. You can call it luck, you can call it the sum total of the energies invested, as in the case of Alonso 2010. Why did they mess up Schumi and not Rosberg?

It's a different case than McLaren's where they consistently mess up both drivers, Button and Hamilton. And it's different to Michael Schumacher in his glory years - whenever there was technical trouble it used to hit Barrichello, not Schumi. Now it is reversed....

Whichever way you put it, "deserve's got nothing to do with it". Schumi has two points, however he accrued them and however he managed not to collect more points.

I enjoyed all four races, saw them all, watched Malaysia and Bahrain twice, btw - a breeze of fresh air, this 2012 season! My gut feeling tells me, that MSC is going to win a race in 2012 anyways, so no worries here. Just don't like Michael's whining mode.....

#19067 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:57

So aditya - how do you think he could have made the most of his bad luck

Do you think he could have jumped out and put the wheel back on his car, fixed his gearbox mid race - or even justjumped out of the way and not get hit from behind??

Looking forward to some creative suggestions from you ;)

#19068 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,038 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:05

Between 1950 and 1993 there were seasons (e.g. in the 60s) in which teams even used one set of tyres for multiple races, because they were so hard and robust.
Even in the 80s there were enough races in which the majority of the field didn´t not stop for tyres at all and in the other races it was mostly one stop.

btw. I´ve not such a big problem with the Pirellis (at least i prefer it compared to the 2010-Bridgestones). But your facts are just wrong. 50-93 is way different to 11-12 in terms of tyres.

Whichever way you look at it, making tires work in their optimum bandwidth is what is required of a premium driver. Hard tires: heat them sufficiently. Soft tires: nurse them. Again, being in his 19th season Michael should be more than capable in doing this, it surprises me how in 2012 Nico is much more successful than Michael in handling the situation.

#19069 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,519 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:06

Yeah, Michael's lack of Jedi powers has been exposed. Something knew you learn from "fans"every day.

#19070 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,038 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:07

Yeah, Michael's lack of Jedi powers has been exposed. Something knew you learn from "fans"every day.

Well, in the majority of his Benetton and Ferrari years Michael seemed to have those Jedi powers. I wonder where he left them...  ;)

#19071 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:11

And it's pretty clear you have not read the numerous post where I have said that he's had a run of bad luck and nothing more. The point I was trying to make was I highly doubt that this debate would have been so heated had the results between Shumacher and Rosberg been reversed. My hypothesis is that if it were Nico on 2 points sans results and race wins and doing the complaining about not being able to push 100% then I am quite sure he would have been vilified around these parts as being a whiner.....

I guarantee you that the debating would have been just as heated. It's just that the points being argued would be different. The Schumi haters will always find a way to justify their feelings. If Schumi had won in China, credit would not have been given to him. We will never know if he would have made the same comments in Bahrain after a win in China. I don't see why he definitely wouldn't have, but the Schumi haters will always claim that he would not have, so...

#19072 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:19

Whichever way you look at it, making tires work in their optimum bandwidth is what is required of a premium driver. Hard tires: heat them sufficiently. Soft tires: nurse them. Again, being in his 19th season Michael should be more than capable in doing this, it surprises me how in 2012 Nico is much more successful than Michael in handling the situation.

Whichever way i look at it, your jumping just from one point to another, as you´re running out of arguments in your little campaign here.
Between 94 and 2009 you also had to make the tyres work. That wasn´t your point at all. You presented it as 50-93 and 11-12 had pretty much the same circumstances regarding tyres and that 94-09 was all different. Well and that´s plain wrong.
And once again: Nico isn´t handling the situation much more successful (unitl now) as he was slower in the first two races(+quali) and also not faster in Bahrain...that leaves China. The situation in the WDC-standings has very little to do with the tyres.

But as that argument was discussed often enough here in the last few days and used to ignore it from time to time, when it seemed comfortable for your "argumentation", i think you can stop decorating you posts with some artificial concern for MSC.

Edited by LiJu914, 04 May 2012 - 10:22.

#19073 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:24

“It’s been a bit exaggerated,” world champion Vettel, referring to the reaction to Schumacher’s comments, is quoted by Sport Bild.

“Ultimately, we all have the same tyres, but of course as a driver you always want more grip, whether from the tyres or from the car.

“It is in our nature to want more — more especially than the others,” he smiled.

WEB>>>

Vettel's comments are definitely reasonable. Clearly they aren't genuinely driving around the track as if there was a safety car deployed. We are all aware of the exaggeration made. Afterall, the cars are going just 4-6 or so seconds off pole time. Slow, but definitely not as slow as a safety car. :)

#19074 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,038 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:30

Whichever way i look at it, your jumping just from one point to another, as you´re running out of arguments in your little campaign here.
Between 94 and 2009 you also had to make the tyres work. That wasn´t your point at all. You presented it as 50-93 and 11-12 had pretty much the same circumstances regarding tyres and that 94-09 was all different. Well and that´s plain wrong.
And once again: Nico isn´t handling the situation much more successful (unitl now) as he was slower in the first two races(+quali) and also not faster in Bahrain...that leaves China. The situation in the WDC-standings has very little to do with the tyres.

But as that argument was discussed often enough here in the last few days and used to ignore it from time to time, when it seemed comfortable for your "argumentation", i think you can stop decorating you posts with some artificial concern for MSC.

As we seem to come from very different backgrounds, here one last thought: surely also between 94-09 the capability to work the tires was crucial. What was and is significant is that Michael from 1994 onwards had the advantage of special technology (Benetton) and special tire contracts (Ferrari) which helped him in being successful. The only time when these "advantages" where not a given (e.g. 2005) Michael failed miserably.

Therefore, to me his first win in Spa 1992 still holds a much higher pedigree than many of his engineered races in the most successful part of his career. Also I would like to point to Brazil 2006 as well as China 2006, when we saw the real Michael. sans the help of some special "arrangements"....

Let me not get started on how after Spa 2006 Renault's Michelin tires were suddenly outlawed by the FIA and how Alonso was given a penalty for dangerously impeding Massa in Monza from more than a 100 metres distance....these were the last instances of Michael receiving special "assistance".

Since then Michael is one among equals and not the first among equals any more. And it shows. He does not suit the system anymore, Vettel brings much more these days. Always watch out for whom Bernie favors - for a long time that was Michael.

Edited by aditya-now, 04 May 2012 - 10:31.

#19075 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,519 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:33

Special technology, special tire, special arrangements? What a load of drivel.

#19076 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:39

Since then Michael is one among equals and not the first among equals any more. And it shows. He does not suit the system anymore, Vettel brings much more these days. Always watch out for whom Bernie favors - for a long time that was Michael.

Bernie is a shrewd money maker and investor. Of course he'd favour Vettel at this time!! No news there. That's a zero point as many of your others....

Edited by ali_M, 04 May 2012 - 10:39.

#19077 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:42

Special technology, special tire, special arrangements? What a load of drivel.

No it´s quite obvious that MSC had a twelve years long lucky streak (even though roughly half of the time hadn´t the best car/tyre-combination). :stoned:

#19078 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:05

I can't help but wonder how some of you would have reacted had it been Nico 33 points down and complaining about the tires and not Schumacher. I sense that it may have gone along the lines of, "Rosberg should just man up and quit being so negative, Michael's adapted well............."

Nico did complain about the tyres. After his win in China he said he couldn't push for a single lap.

Please show me two things
a) Where Michael is complaining that he has had poor results this year because of the tyres?
b) Your proof that Michael is indeed struggling with tyers this year.

its no good saying saying 'oh in other posts I said he's had bad luck' you are clearly insinuating that Michael 33 points behind because of the Pirellis and whining because of it, so where's your evidence this is why he spoke about the tyres? Have you actually heard or read his comments?

To help you out, I'll direct you towards race pace in Australia, Malaysia and Bahrain, and quali in Australia and Malaysia.

#19079 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:05

No it´s quite obvious that MSC had a twelve years long lucky streak (even though roughly half of the time hadn´t the best car/tyre-combination). :stoned:

Quite obvious to anyone who never watched those races, but has read about them on the internet.

Advertisement

#19080 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 13:17

Of course, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, interpretation (and even twisting) of facts and evens, but has to keep in mind the saying that age is not a guarantee and it's never too late to become a laughing stock.

#19081 RacingReporter

RacingReporter

• 44 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 14:58

As we seem to come from very different backgrounds, here one last thought: surely also between 94-09 the capability to work the tires was crucial. What was and is significant is that Michael from 1994 onwards had the advantage of special technology (Benetton) and special tire contracts (Ferrari) which helped him in being successful. The only time when these "advantages" where not a given (e.g. 2005) Michael failed miserably.

Therefore, to me his first win in Spa 1992 still holds a much higher pedigree than many of his engineered races in the most successful part of his career. Also I would like to point to Brazil 2006 as well as China 2006, when we saw the real Michael. sans the help of some special "arrangements"....

Let me not get started on how after Spa 2006 Renault's Michelin tires were suddenly outlawed by the FIA and how Alonso was given a penalty for dangerously impeding Massa in Monza from more than a 100 metres distance....these were the last instances of Michael receiving special "assistance".

I lost it at Spa 2006 :lol: Good cop, bad cop, it's not working here.

#19082 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,455 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 15:18

Maybe he wrote too fast? But it is a valid talking point anyway. The thing he means is something most people understand anyway. But not here...

#19083 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 15:30

Michael is actually driving quite nicely this year.

But for some reason we don't seem to be able to move away from 'He's a cheat! He only won because he got FIA favours for 15 years!!'

Aditya - I truly can't tell if you believe everything you are writing, or just twisting the facts to suit yoru own agenda. The idea that Michael was receiving all of these special benefits you speak of during 96-99 for instance is simply laughable. When he had the amchinery to win, he won. That should not count against him. When he didn't have the machinery to win, sometimes he still won. What more can we expect from a racing driver?

Another interesting point - why is it that if Ferrari had an innovation later outlawed (flexi floor for instance) Michael was 'cheating' and its proof that Michael only won from special assistance, but when another team has an innovation later outlawed (Renaults mass damper) then Michael was 'cheating' and its more proof that he could only drive with special assistance.

Yes the forum is a place to debate all ideas and points of view etc, but this stuff over the last few pages has been done to death again and again. There is so much misinformation and twisting of facts it is unbelievable.

No matter how much you might hate the man, Michael has actually been driving well this year. I haven't seen him put a foot wrong. And yet what dominates the thread?

#19084 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 15:55

here is what he said - where is the blame for his lack of results this year?? He's a racing driver - he wants to race as fast as he possibly can, not at 80% - THAT is what he was complaining about...no blame here that I can see...

The main thing I feel unhappy about is that everyone has to drive well below a driver's, and in particular, the car limits to maintain the tyres," Schumacher told BBC Radio 5.

"I just question whether the tyres should play such a big importance, or whether they should last a bit longer - and that you can drive at normal racing car speed and not cruise around like we have a Safety Car.

"If it would be a one-off car issue, then you could say it's up on us to deal with it," he added. "But basically it is everybody with maybe one or two exceptions. And if it is 80 percent of the field that has this problem, then maybe the tyre supplier should think about that."

Raelene, he is saying as far as I can understand that the tires are forcing him to drive well below his limits.

And then he continues to say that it is 80% of the drivers who have these problems thereby putting himself with the vast majority and then he calls for Pirelli to change things. It is fairly obvious to me that Schumacher is embarrassed at his standing right now and is using the tire issue to absolve himself of any responsibility especially where he is driving a race winning car and has just seen Raikkonen do very well at Bahrain. The timing was just too convenient. He is frustrated that's all.

Don't worry though if Shu does well in the next race he will be saying how great the tires are and how his great experience and skills allowed him to exploit them better than those not so great 80%! It is all just pr.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 04 May 2012 - 16:04.

#19085 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 16:34

Raelene, he is saying as far as I can understand that the tires are forcing him to drive well below his limits.

And then he continues to say that it is 80% of the drivers who have these problems thereby putting himself with the vast majority and then he calls for Pirelli to change things. It is fairly obvious to me that Schumacher is embarrassed at his standing right now and is using the tire issue to absolve himself of any responsibility especially where he is driving a race winning car and has just seen Raikkonen do very well at Bahrain. The timing was just too convenient. He is frustrated that's all.

Don't worry though if Shu does well in the next race he will be saying how great the tires are and how his great experience and skills allowed him to exploit them better than those not so great 80%! It is all just pr.

He's hardly one for excuses is he, besides what blame has he got anyway? Gearbox failure, hit by Grosjean, his wheel not being attached properly and then having a DRS failure on his Q1 lap at Bahrain, can't see where the blame he is trying to absolve himself from originates from, maybe you could point that out for me, but probably not. Also he said that the drivers are driving below their limits yes but particularly the cars limits, there wasn't any frustration in his voice, a lot was made out of quite a casual comment, he just suggested the idea that the tyres become more durable and allowed you to push more, an idea which has subsequently been echoed by other drivers.

#19086 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 16:48

michael has the baddest luck of them all

#19087 ascension

ascension

• 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 18:02

michael has the baddest luck of them all

I have also noticed that about Schumacher, always really bad luck!

Posted Image

#19088 Pamphlet

Pamphlet

• 414 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 18:11

I have also noticed that about Schumacher, always really bad luck!

Posted Image

Amusingly, he really has been unlucky since his return. 2010 does not count as he was destroyed by Rosberg fair and square regardless of whether we take MSC's misfortune into account, but it was quite apparent in 2011 and especially now.

#19089 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 20:12

i mean 1st race gearbox failure
2nd race hit by grosjean
3rd race loose wheel
4th race unfunctioning drs

#19090 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,788 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 20:34

Nico did complain about the tyres. After his win in China he said he couldn't push for a single lap.

Please show me two things
a) Where Michael is complaining that he has had poor results this year because of the tyres?
b) Your proof that Michael is indeed struggling with tyers this year.

its no good saying saying 'oh in other posts I said he's had bad luck' you are clearly insinuating that Michael 33 points behind because of the Pirellis and whining because of it, so where's your evidence this is why he spoke about the tyres? Have you actually heard or read his comments?

To help you out, I'll direct you towards race pace in Australia, Malaysia and Bahrain, and quali in Australia and Malaysia.

Did I ever once say that Schumacher was complaining about his results being due to tyre issues? Nope.....
Did I ever say that he was struggling with the tyres? Nope.....
Did I ever insinuate that his being 33 points down was due to the Pirellis? Nope.......
Have I repeatedly said that he's having a run of bad luck? Yep.......

By wondering out loud if the discussion would have been as heated had the roles been reversed and it was Nico complaining ( no, excuse me, voicing his opinion) I've been accused of saying that Schumacher is blaming the tyres for his current woes. Never, have I said that.

#19091 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,788 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 21:42

I do not follow any of those.

Once again, why am I not surprised?

#19092 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 22:39

Once again, why am I not surprised?

Would you be also surprised if I tell you there are similar publications written in other languages that I prefer to read over those you praise so much?

#19093 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,788 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 23:11

Would you be also surprised if I tell you there are similar publications written in other languages that I prefer to read over those you praise so much?

I'm not praising any of these publications, no I am not surprised as I know for fact that there are many other reputable publications worldwide in different languages as I read them myself (believe it or not), but to denigrate Paul Fearnely wthout actually knowing how he has been involved with motorsport is IMHO a bit naive.

#19094 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:05

I'm not praising any of these publications, no I am not surprised as I know for fact that there are many other reputable publications worldwide in different languages as I read them myself (believe it or not), but to denigrate Paul Fearnely wthout actually knowing how he has been involved with motorsport is IMHO a bit naive.

What are you up to? First of all, if you want to claim that British sources are the best or only to read, than I have no civil response to it. All what I have said was that I do not know Fearnely (or anything about him), and you take off into orbit. I do not read publications you named, or any other British publications on regular basis for that matter, if it is OK with you. Atlas (now Autosport) F1 front page which has some British origins is the last and only source that is left. Allright? Finish TS (in English) as a reliable F1-source is totally fine, supplemented with German pages are good enough for me, and all what I actually need.

#19095 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,788 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:23

What are you up to? First of all, if you want to claim that British sources are the best or only to read

Slow down there chief. Where have I ever said that the British sources are the best out there? You are making assumptions based on nothing.

Edited by jj2728, 05 May 2012 - 17:13.

#19096 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:55

The Williams faster??? I thought Schumi drove a supremely dominant car to his championships in the 2000's. :)

I enjoyed that lap. Brings back memories. :)

I think Schumacher made his championships look really efficient because he didn't just win the races where the ferrari had a advantage, he also won races or points where there was a real challenge for the gp win, maybe not the title always, but certain gps williams, renault or mclarens got in on the action, it's very easy to sumerise his seasons, but there's alot of great driving which maximised some races where he could of lost and no one would of thought much of it, except because it's Schumacher, his standards meant we expected him to never have a off weekend.

Ferrari had a overall good car performance to reliability over the season in 2001, but Mclaren were stronger in some of the races then they got credit for-remember David Couthard somehow challenging Schumacher pacewise and getting pole at Monaco, Hakkinen lost Spain near the end with engine, but the car was faster then in qualifying While Schumacher overall won the season earlier, by finishing on the podium alot, there were some very challenging races for him. At Canada 2001, clearly Ralf and Williams was the faster package and again at Imola-where MS's rims had broklen-the wheels and the williams ran Schumacher very close at nurburgring. You may want to watch those races again sometime.

The Ferrari f-2001 was something Michael was able to push really hard in qualifying, but in the race it's advantage was less, if you remember Brazil 2001, another race where Williams this time with Montoya had the measure of the ferrari, David Couthard went on to win the race, it was a odd race for Schuey because he had trouble with handeling the ferrarin in the race-he set up the car differently for the race, not expecting rain, but with rain, it became even more difficult, he wasn't happy with that race. The f-2001 was awesome in qualifying with Schumacher driving it, bu t the car had a smaller fuel tank, so strategy wise, we saw Williams and Mclarens at times staying out longer because their fuel tank was bigger, so Schumacher had to run his race faster as he had less laps of fuel to get the pitstop breakthrough in some races, I think it's easy to take that for granted, but Nurburgring 2001 probabley one of Schumacher's best races in 2001 and his career for weekend performance, and I remember ferrari president Luca Demontezemlo especially praising Schumacher for his performance that race.

#19097 chrisaix

chrisaix

• 67 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:26

I think Schumacher made his championships look really efficient because he didn't just win the races where the ferrari had a advantage, he also won races or points where there was a real challenge for the gp win, maybe not the title always, but certain gps williams, renault or mclarens got in on the action, it's very easy to sumerise his seasons, but there's alot of great driving which maximised some races where he could of lost and no one would of thought much of it, except because it's Schumacher, his standards meant we expected him to never have a off weekend.

Ferrari had a overall good car performance to reliability over the season in 2001, but Mclaren were stronger in some of the races then they got credit for-remember David Couthard somehow challenging Schumacher pacewise and getting pole at Monaco, Hakkinen lost Spain near the end with engine, but the car was faster then in qualifying While Schumacher overall won the season earlier, by finishing on the podium alot, there were some very challenging races for him. At Canada 2001, clearly Ralf and Williams was the faster package and again at Imola-where MS's rims had broklen-the wheels and the williams ran Schumacher very close at nurburgring. You may want to watch those races again sometime.

The Ferrari f-2001 was something Michael was able to push really hard in qualifying, but in the race it's advantage was less, if you remember Brazil 2001, another race where Williams this time with Montoya had the measure of the ferrari, David Couthard went on to win the race, it was a odd race for Schuey because he had trouble with handeling the ferrarin in the race-he set up the car differently for the race, not expecting rain, but with rain, it became even more difficult, he wasn't happy with that race. The f-2001 was awesome in qualifying with Schumacher driving it, bu t the car had a smaller fuel tank, so strategy wise, we saw Williams and Mclarens at times staying out longer because their fuel tank was bigger, so Schumacher had to run his race faster as he had less laps of fuel to get the pitstop breakthrough in some races, I think it's easy to take that for granted, but Nurburgring 2001 probabley one of Schumacher's best races in 2001 and his career for weekend performance, and I remember ferrari president Luca Demontezemlo especially praising Schumacher for his performance that race.

+1 :up: sean
And just like you said because its schumacher everyone was expecting the best from him every practice, every qualifying and every race.

Edited by chrisaix, 05 May 2012 - 04:27.

#19098 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,747 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:59

MS is prolly under a magnifying lense because he is the most successful and the most experienced driver on the grid. It is just amusing when in the eyes of HC Schumi fans there is only black and white - it seems that he is above critizism altogether. I admire MS for what he has achieved but somewhat dislike him for being ruthless to the extreme. Where others might not have rammed their competition in "red mist" or park their cars mid-corner, MS was easily able to do so. Winor try winning at ALL costs, no matter what. Those "old sins" will never fade away although they should not be used against him in races to come.

This season he´s had rotten luck - I´m not sure if he´d be above his teammate in the stangings but close.

#19099 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:45

Schumacher not expecting too much in Spain
http://www.gpupdate....much-in-spain/t

I am looking forward to Canada then , until MS didn't say the ^ same. From me it is bye, bye P4 in WCC.

Edited by ivand911, 05 May 2012 - 11:59.

Advertisement

#19100 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 13:03

MS is prolly under a magnifying lense because he is the most successful and the most experienced driver on the grid. It is just amusing when in the eyes of HC Schumi fans there is only black and white - it seems that he is above critizism altogether. I admire MS for what he has achieved but somewhat dislike him for being ruthless to the extreme. Where others might not have rammed their competition in "red mist" or park their cars mid-corner, MS was easily able to do so. Winor try winning at ALL costs, no matter what. Those "old sins" will never fade away although they should not be used against him in races to come.

This season he´s had rotten luck - I´m not sure if he´d be above his teammate in the stangings but close.

I certainly respect your opinion here. Very well put.

I was very disappointed in Michael at Monaco 2006. It took me a while to forgive him since I couldn't understand why he felt inclined to do such a thing at that stage of his career. But then, it's the whole package, isn't it? We, as Schumi, are all human. If he's truly great in one way, the flaws will show up in other ways. I'm very aware of his ruthlessness, but the ones who hold this above all else about him are the ones who were embarrassed by his superiority when they were his teammates and understandably vexed by the teams preferential treatment of Michael; those veteran drivers with their greatness threatened by the looming shadow of Michael's achievements (they'll always point out Michael's flaws and amusedly so); and all the fans of those same drivers and veterans. :p

It's Michael's abilities that made the cars that he drove seem as dominant as they were during his years at Benetton and Ferrari. No one is denying that he didn't need competitive machinery to achieve what he did, but the commanding way that he did it is a totally different matter and put way too much down to dominant machinery.

The McLaren's were very dominant in 1998 and yet, Michael gave them a serious run for the championship that year. Pretty much as Alonso/Ferrari did with RBR in 2010. Alonso deserves a LOT of credit for his efforts with that Ferrari in 2010. I don't think the Ferrari was supremely dominant in 2000 and this is why that year was so fantastic for all to watch really. 2001.... not dominant. In 2002, the Ferrari was dominant and it was utter domination there. Same for 2004, but not for 2003 or 2006. Again, 1995 was not a championship won in dominant machinery.

In 1997, Michael felt the same as Prost did with Senna in 1989 at Suzuka. :lol:

After such an illustrious career and being back for an encore, he makes a comment about the tyres. It's bound to provoke the chatter that now prevails.