Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#19851 jannyg

jannyg

• 133 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 20:48

This is the 1st time since MS comeback that he has shown frustration and emotion.

Even when the wheel went in Spa 11' or the various Q problems in 10' or 11' he remained calm. 'The New Schumacher' we called him.

We might not even see a wave when the cameras are on him in when he's parked in the garage now. I think we might just see Schumi get ruthless again. Being nice has won him friends this time around but not much else on track.

What I am trying to get at is this was when 'The Old Schumacher' was most dangerous, coming off adversity he would pull out his best results.

Bring on Monaco and Canada!! :cool:

Advertisement

#19852 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 21:03

This is the 1st time since MS comeback that he has shown frustration and emotion.

Even when the wheel went in Spa 11' or the various Q problems in 10' or 11' he remained calm. 'The New Schumacher' we called him.

We might not even see a wave when the cameras are on him in when he's parked in the garage now. I think we might just see Schumi get ruthless again. Being nice has won him friends this time around but not much else on track.

What I am trying to get at is this was when 'The Old Schumacher' was most dangerous, coming off adversity he would pull out his best results.

:up: :up:

#19853 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 21:27

If I remember the "New" MS was quite irritated after last year Turkish GP but I guess yesterday was more obvious probably because that was really in the heat of a moment. I'd love to see the "Old" MS come back. Whatever he does he's being blamed anyway so why not race even harder while at it, assuming he starts somewhere in front of course and fights the like of Alonso and Button rather than Senna Jr or Kobayashi.

#19854 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,755 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 21:44

To me Schumacher was of two minds as to what to do, outside vs inside, and the indecision cost him.

if you watch the replay he isn't undecided at all. he goes for the outside.
he changes his mind just when he sees senna move to the outside too. michael was comitted to that line before senna made that move.

senna may have wanted to offer the inside line but michael was on the other side. simple miscommunication

#19855 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 21:47

Well..been hearing the same drum-beating since his comeback...Bring on this....Bring that....Bring on what!!!??? I can't wait to hear people say after 10 or 12 races without results...BRING ON 2013!! :stoned:

#19856 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 21:48

if you watch the replay he isn't undecided at all. he goes for the outside.
he changes his mind just when he sees senna move to the outside too. michael was comitted to that line before senna made that move.

senna may have wanted to offer the inside line but michael was on the other side. simple miscommunication

MS did the same thing to Hamilton last year...not once...not twice..a lot of times and he thinks there was nothing wrong with it. Only difference was that Hamilton was quick enough to avoid any incident.

MS got a doze of his own medicine.

Edited by jbarokF1, 14 May 2012 - 21:52.

#19857 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 00:13

Well..been hearing the same drum-beating since his comeback...Bring on this....Bring that....Bring on what!!!??? I can't wait to hear people say after 10 or 12 races without results...BRING ON 2013!! :stoned:

:up: :rotfl:

Gotta hand it to these MS fans, they sure are persistent! :)

#19858 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:01

:up: :rotfl:

Gotta hand it to these MS fans, they sure are persistent! :)

... and you? :rotfl:

#19859 654321

• 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:08

:up: :lol:

Advertisement

#19860 black magic

black magic

• 3,861 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:33

michael and lewis sure seem to cop hte penalties when they are being handed out.

as michael pointed out brunna had had a coming together with the lotus already. his tyres were gone and even though he was racing for position he had no show. others managed to hold a single line and make it straight forward to get past.

michael no doubt was frustrated to go out at least partly to his own fault - but making a mistake when passing someone so clearly not a contender is also deeply frustrating for him.

then again at least he doesnt do the rosberg trundle

#19861 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:40

monaco is too hard for his slow reactions :lol:

but TBH I never was a MS fan but i have to admit that the man was a force on his own from 91-06 but I think the combination of not having the team as in Ferrari, testings, and the tyres makes what happens now to MS...

Give the regulations of earlier and a car which suit MS he will fight for wins, but WDC....naaah i really think he hasn't got that little extra anymore.

If he only ever had success due to special treatment how to you explain his driving '91-93, for example? Or '96 to '98 when the Ferrari was far from the best car?

I really am waiting for one of you 'Michael has always been crap now we're seeing the proof :lol:' type people to actually explain all those years away.

#19862 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,697 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:57

I think even the most die hard Schumy fanatics must agree that the MSC we have today is not the all-conquering entity he was in the 1990s and early 2000s? He's still one of the best, but no longer what he once was.

I think Alonso has taken the mantle of being the best driver in F1 and the driver who can drag the performance out of a car that just doesn't deserve to be at the front. That used to be Micheal.

#19863 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:59

If he only ever had success due to special treatment how to you explain his driving '91-93, for example? Or '96 to '98 when the Ferrari was far from the best car?

I really am waiting for one of you 'Michael has always been crap now we're seeing the proof :lol: ' type people to actually explain all those years away.

I'm quite the Schumi fan but could pre-empt with a shot as 'devil's advocate'. :) There are many drivers who have failed to succeed as Schumi did despite storming on the scene with a lot of initial promise as Michael exhibited in 1991-93. Only a chosen few went on to actually be very successful. Few if any have cheated and enjoyed the sort of competitive advantage he did during his championship years through superior machinery and subservient teammates.

How's that? :lol:

#19864 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:04

I think even the most die hard Schumy fanatics must agree that the MSC we have today is not the all-conquering entity he was in the 1990s and early 2000s? He's still one of the best, but no longer what he once was.

I think Alonso has taken the mantle of being the best driver in F1 and the driver who can drag the performance out of a car that just doesn't deserve to be at the front. That used to be Micheal.

I erm think I agree .... :cry:

But even then, I think he still has a win in him. He came alive in Monza/Canada 2011. There's still life left in him. However, his on-track incidents do point to his race instinct/reflexes being not quite what they used to be. I'm just not convinced that in his hay day he would be running into the back of drivers as he has done since his comeback. They say once a man and twice a child.... Schumi used to run in the back of drivers in the infancy of his F1 career when he was very eager to deliver. Hmmmm.... food for thought that!! I'm always looking for the silver lining/ray of hope. I have a lot of difficulty letting him go unless he hangs up his helmet and goes.

So ......erm... no... NO.... I DON'T agree!!

:clap: :clap: Go Schumi! You can do it. You show them.

Edited by ali_M, 15 May 2012 - 10:06.

#19865 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,697 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:07

I erm think I agree .... :cry:

But even then, I think he still has a win in him. He came alive in Monza/Canada 2011. There's still life left in him. However, his on-track incidents do point to his race instinct/reflexes being not quite what they used to be. I'm just not convinced that in his hay day he would be running into the back of drivers as he has done since his comeback. They say once a man and twice a child.... Schumi used to run in the back of drivers in the infancy of his F1 career when he was very eager to deliver. Hmmmm.... food for thought that!! I'm always looking for the silver lining/ray of hope. I have a lot of difficulty letting him go unless he hangs up his helmet and goes.

So ......erm... no... NO.... I DON'T agree!!

:clap: :clap: Go Schumi! You can do it. You show them.

No, I do believe Michael has a win in him - if Nico does, so does Michael who is driving just as well, if not slightly better...

BUT, Michael is a 7 time WDC, his winning ability wouldn't have been questioned back in his prime.

#19866 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:11

Why do you care?

#19867 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:26

No, I do believe Michael has a win in him - if Nico does, so does Michael who is driving just as well, if not slightly better...

BUT, Michael is a 7 time WDC, his winning ability wouldn't have been questioned back in his prime.

In his favour, I mean... 2005 did make him seem lacklustre, didn't it? :) He did win the Indy farce, but that was it for that season. Only once did he seem really racy with Alonso at San Marino. If the car isn't up to it, then he'll look very different from when he has competitive machinery. However, mind you, he was still inevitably ahead of his teammate most races.

#19868 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 15:10

I agree with that.

This BS that MS does not deserve to be on the grid is utter crap. In numerous instances this season he has covered some of the best in F1. He makes one mistake and now those that NEVER liked him in his prime are calling for him to be binned....

#19869 654321

• 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 15:15

:up:

#19870 chrisaix

chrisaix

• 67 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 15:24

+1

and spain was only the first error he made this year. the problem with all the schumi haters is that they are all blaming schumi for his last 4 races without even knowing the facts or they are just simply ignoring it just to lambast michael. and again i dont have to list all what happened in the first 4 races.

#19871 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,029 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 16:12

In his favour, I mean... 2005 did make him seem lacklustre, didn't it? :) He did win the Indy farce, but that was it for that season. Only once did he seem really racy with Alonso at San Marino. If the car isn't up to it, then he'll look very different from when he has competitive machinery. However, mind you, he was still inevitably ahead of his teammate most races.

Compare Schumacher to Barichello in 2005.

Schumacher was 3rd in driver standings

Barrichello was 8th in the driver standings.

Then critics come on here and complain about unfair treatment and team orders. There was a reason why he was #1 and given preferential treatment. Alas, I think those vital split second judgements and reactions are now faded.

#19872 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:04

:up: Oh I completely agree.

#19873 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:15

I think the problem with MS fans (and MS himself) is that they still could not accept that MS is already past his prime due to his age. It clearly shows that he can not be what he used to be and that is understandable due to his age.

To MS fans...we are not taking away what MS has achieved..He's a human who gets old and will definitely lost his abilities (and it already shows that he already lost some of his talent). Any driver (Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, all of them) will never be the same winners as they are now when they reach the same age.

And problem now with MS is that he's trying too hard to prove something when there is nothing to prove anymore...He achieved things that nobody else has done. Look what happens when he tries too hard..it ends in tears. He's making himself look really bad..

#19874 iakhtar

iakhtar

• 183 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:30

Totally agree with this too :up:

#19875 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 603 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:52

And problem now with MS is that he's trying too hard to prove something when there is nothing to prove anymore...He achieved things that nobody else has done. Look what happens when he tries too hard..it ends in tears. He's making himself look really bad..

Yes, he tried too hard to shave another 100g off his gearbox, that's why it broke in Aus.
He tried too hard to not roll over and play dead, that's why Grosjean hit him.
He was rushing himself with the wheel gun, that's why the nut didn't go on properly.
He thought he could improve the DRS activation mechanism to give him another 100th, that's why it failed him in qually.

Seriously, he's made one mistake - Against the back of a dithering Senna on shot tyres, and he's only good for retirement, is trying too hard, is ruining his legacy, is slow compared to his team mate, etc?

He's already proven he deserves a place on the current grid, at most all you could question is if he deserves a top drive. Which is moot, seeing as he's not had one since coming back, thanks to Brackley being their usual quality selves.

#19876 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:53

I think the problem with MS fans (and MS himself) is that they still could not accept that MS is already past his prime due to his age. It clearly shows that he can not be what he used to be and that is understandable due to his age.

To MS fans...we are not taking away what MS has achieved..He's a human who gets old and will definitely lost his abilities (and it already shows that he already lost some of his talent). Any driver (Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, all of them) will never be the same winners as they are now when they reach the same age.

MS fanatics feel that way.

Rational MS fans know better :)

#19877 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:56

I am concerned what all this mess is doing to him. The man has heart of steel, and he is one of a kind fighter, but he is also a human, and I haven't encountered anyone yet who has choices available to him, and he continues to face adversity like there is no tommorrow. If Benz continues with F1 beyond 2012, and Michael is in, this would be the greates suprise for me this year.

On the other hand, there is the unfinish business - I am guessing that he wants to add a win to his stay (or two), so, who knows what will happen; he might go for it all the way. I feel with him about whole deal, but results of this year does have very little to do who Schumacher is, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

Edited by Sakae, 15 May 2012 - 17:58.

#19878 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,371 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 19:05

I feel with him about whole deal, but results of this year does have very little to do who Schumacher is, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

Pretty good way of summing it up, really. :up: Fan or not, I think anyone would agree that his results make it seem like he's underperformed quite a bit in comparison to his potential, even if you only see that potential as being a couple points more. Maldonado crashed out in Aus and had a slew of problems earlier this year after that, and he's already won a race--it might be Michael's turn sooner than we all think.

#19879 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 19:21

I'm pretty sure Michael is still up for the job. Of course he's not the same man as he was 20 years ago, but it's not just some driver we are talkin about. This is Michael Schumacher, arguably the best driver F1 has ever seen en defenitly the most succesful driver ever. He's is commited, he's superfit and he can do it no doubt.

I'm feeling sorry for him that he has to drive on these crappy tires, this must be so disappointing for him. Finaly a proper car and than Pirelli supplies him with these stupid shitty show tires. I'm afraid that he's going to throw in the towel at the end of this season, unless next season has a better perspective.

Advertisement

#19880 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 20:20

I'm pretty sure Michael is still up for the job. Of course he's not the same man as he was 20 years ago, but it's not just some driver we are talkin about. This is Michael Schumacher, arguably the best driver F1 has ever seen en defenitly the most succesful driver ever. He's is commited, he's superfit and he can do it no doubt.

I'm feeling sorry for him that he has to drive on these crappy tires, this must be so disappointing for him. Finaly a proper car and than Pirelli supplies him with these stupid shitty show tires. I'm afraid that he's going to throw in the towel at the end of this season, unless next season has a better perspective.

poor tyres..getting the blame again..

May he should sit-out this season and wait for next year when he feels the tyres are right for him.

#19881 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,755 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 20:30

poor tyres..getting the blame again..

May he should sit-out this season and wait for next year when he feels the tyres are right for him.

or at least a car that doesn't fail every other week

#19882 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,277 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 20:34

There is good read in F1 Times on Shumacher. They reckon post-Spain criticism was undeserving.

http://thef1times.co...s/display/06006

#19883 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,688 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 20:52

5 races. There have been 5 races. MS could have undoubtedly avoid the Senna incident, though, frankly, penalizing it was more due to overeager stewarding in awe of Sir Frank's birthday, than real offence of the sporting directives. It was a racing incident, and would not have happened if Petrov was in Senna's place. Karthikeyan, I am not so sure. But one brainfade, and the dummies surface as usual, crying out for MS to retire, because he lost it. Business as usual. If by the end of the season the NR/MS standings are similar to what we see now, we bid farewell to MS, that's all. It is way way too early to start burying him, apart from his mighty bad-luck streak, he really seems to be on it. The Pirelli farce only means that the 40 points diff in the standings means next to nothing at this stage on the season.

#19884 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 20:58

There is good read in F1 Times on Shumacher. They reckon post-Spain criticism was undeserving.

I understand his frustration (who wouldn't) but publicly calling Senna an 'idiot' was uncalled for, when it was clear it's not all Senna's fault.

He should have just kept it for himself or went to the hospitality truck and screamed "idiot!!!" all afternoon LOL!!

#19885 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,688 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 21:10

I understand his frustration (who wouldn't) but publicly calling Senna an 'idiot' was uncalled for, when it was clear it's not all Senna's fault.

He should have just kept it for himself or went to the hospitality truck and screamed "idiot!!!" all afternoon LOL!!

It WAS Senna's fault. Which doesn't make it a less spectacular brainfade from MS's part.

#19886 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,497 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 23:09

I've never seen that site, but that's an appallingly bad article.

Schumacher had a chance to challenge Rosberg for a win in China? C'mon.
DRS in Q worth over a second? That's rather optimistic.

#19887 jbarokF1

jbarokF1

• 204 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 00:14

Very biased article indeed....it's kind of unfair and poor assesment of Rosberg vs Schumi..poor Rosberg.

#19888 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 00:33

That fact Williams and won a race/LOTUS could of won a race and probabley will, doesn't make Mercedes work look concrete yet, if Williams/Lotus/Ferrari can do well, that'x a mixture of teams. China mercedes have done well in the last 3 years, rosbergs better tracks. Schumacher always threatening to have a good albert park/sepang, but he's either been taken out or had merchanical issues.

Schumacher pointed out that some teams have moved forward since testing. If Williams and Ferrari stay or improve. This season is wide reaching, there is no pattern, it's a mess, which means hopefully sooner or later Schumacher's pace will get some results i deserves, but looking at Lotus, they could of won a race by now, this season maybe the most unexpecting/unpredictable of them all in history, and it's the longest season yet.

There will be alot of surprises to come I'm sure.

#19889 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:32

I tend to agree with most of what's written. Spain reaction is overblown and the error was less than how it first looked. Senna's early braking on stuffed tyres contributed to Michael's misjudgement as well as a lack of decisiveness in his (Senna's) line. Michael also looked indecisive and unprepared for the pass. He is having a far better season than the results show. He has handled qualifying a little better than previous years at MB but criticism of Rosberg should be deflected to the team - especially if you are going to make similar excuses (valid ones IMHO) for Michael. The team have failed to get a grip on tyre management, but it is interesting that title favourites McLaren are also having their problems in this area. All in all, quite a strange season and we could see some wild shifts of fortune during the year.

#19890 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:46

Very biased article indeed....it's kind of unfair and poor assesment of Rosberg vs Schumi..poor Rosberg.

You're a very biased reader, I'd say. Nothing untoward has been said about Rosberg. Nothing! It's a very balanced article without the usual hype, pump, glory and bashing.

#19891 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:55

http://www.bbc.co.uk...r_mediocre.html

Well well. It seems Andrew BensonĀ“s frustration has got the better of him.

Schumacher, the mediocre driver, only hired for publicity. Mercedes having an average car. Yes he takes no prisoners.

#19892 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:57

http://www.bbc.co.uk...r_mediocre.html

Well well. It seems Andrew BensonĀ“s frustration has got the better of him.

Schumacher, the mediocre driver, only hired for publicity. Mercedes having an average car. Yes he takes no prisoners.

Grudge also fueled by hype knows no bounds indeed.

#19893 654321

• 113 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:45

when i want to read weak,pathetic articles..i read AB...talk about clueless

#19894 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:21

Reading the comments, Benson is getting slaughtered for this latest piece of schumacher-bashfest from his hands by a lot of readers. I thought this comment was appropriate:

"I just get the feeling that this article might be the turning point of Schumacher's season.

"Is Raikkonen worth the risk?" --> The iceman is doing a brilliant job
"How Webber turned tables on Vettel" --> Vettel wins in Bahrain and leads the WDC
"Fresh questions over struggling Schumacher" --> ???

Now I'm backing Schumacher to win the Monaco GP.'

Edited by TheBunk, 16 May 2012 - 03:37.

#19895 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,277 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:04

Err, you're slamming the article for its reasoning, but you're doing the same (albeit in opposite direction) while pointing out. I don't see any difference between your reasoning and that of article.

I don't fully endorse what is written in that article, but it's good in that it gives some perspective, which has been very skewed after that incident.

#19896 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:13

Maybe Benson will feel better when Hamilton finally wins a race, and he can go on for weeks how great that win was.;)

Indeed, the opening alone 'Schumachers lacklustre performances for Mercedes' bodes little good for the rest. He backtracks a little later on but overal he paints a very bad image of Michael, while hes doing very good and only this weekend made a mistake. And then calls the 'senior figure' a revelation, while linking that person saing michaels driving being mediocre, suddenly to Mercedes questioning his future. Appallingly bad journalism.

16 days before Senna was confirmed at Williams he also stated that a 'senior figure'' told him Barrichello would stay. Anyway, 400 comments below that article many are calling for Bensons head over this, saying its the worst piece of tabloid they ever read on the BBC.

#19897 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,029 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:58

Maybe Benson will feel better when Hamilton finally wins a race, and he can go on for weeks how great that win was.;)

Indeed, the opening alone 'Schumachers lacklustre performances for Mercedes' bodes little good for the rest. He backtracks a little later on but overal he paints a very bad image of Michael, while hes doing very good and only this weekend made a mistake. And then calls the 'senior figure' a revelation, while linking that person saing michaels driving being mediocre, suddenly to Mercedes questioning his future. Appallingly bad journalism.

16 days before Senna was confirmed at Williams he also stated that a 'senior figure'' told him Barrichello would stay. Anyway, 400 comments below that article many are calling for Bensons head over this, saying its the worst piece of tabloid they ever read on the BBC.

I'd like to know who this 'senior' figure was too because since Japan last year, Schumacher has drove very well. Infact, since 2011 he has been on Nico's pace. Barring bad luck and on track incidents, in terms of pace there is little to seperate both of them.

Benson has always been full of rubbish, it is this type of journalistic drivel, hyperbole and sometimes outright lies that led to the invasion of Iraq and resulted in conflict flames being fanned.

#19898 RacingReporter

RacingReporter

• 44 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:15

I asked him a couple of questions through Twitter, let's see if the man is ready to shine some perspective on this case.

#19899 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:55

It's always easier to blame a driver for the lack of results you know. But you can't expect a neutral view from a Schumacher fan. He even didn't mention the Perez mistake in Melbourne which cost him a sixth place.

Edited by rog, 16 May 2012 - 12:56.

Advertisement

#19900 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,523 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 13:00

He lost half a second only in sector 3.

So Michael had no chance to challenge Rosberg? Not even a tiny one, considering we don't know how the other stints would have played out?

It's always easier to blame a driver for the lack of results you know.

Ironic.

Edited by Diablobb81, 16 May 2012 - 13:02.