• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#2601 Snuggie

Snuggie

• 71 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 16:30

And about that waiting 2 or 3 races to see what happens:

Legard:
Schumacher has insisted he'll see out his three years at Meercedes. Sure progress will come. There's joy in a different way working hard
6 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Advertisement

#2602 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 16:57

byronf1 Despite his worst qualifying performance for five years Michael Schumacher just told me he believes he can still win this season

#2603 Hollow

Hollow

• 188 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:00

Legard:
Schumacher has insisted he'll see out his three years at Meercedes.
6 minutes ago via UberTwitter

It won't happen, Mercedes will take care of that. Question is: Will he finish this season? Probably yes.

Edited by Hollow, 26 June 2010 - 17:01.

#2604 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:07

Is he really going to do this for another 2.5 years?

He must be a sucker for punishment. It is F1 though so maybe that's not unusual when you got a lot of money and are getting on in years, being administered the punishment seems to be the thing to do.

If I was that rich, I'd think of better things to do with my time.

Edited by CaptainJackSparrow, 26 June 2010 - 17:09.

#2605 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:19

not really sure what money has to do with anything. You do realize he was rich a long time ago?

He just strikes me as a bored older rich guy that's all, trying to recapture something.

Edited by CaptainJackSparrow, 26 June 2010 - 17:20.

#2606 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:30

He just strikes me as a bored older rich guy that's all, trying to recapture something.

I undertsand what people are saying here but he's dealt with a lot worse in his career and I'm sure he relishes the challenge of getting back to the sharp end of the grid. I thought he would've done better, but he hasn't and the car hasn't been the best. I'm sure Mercedes and the entire team is disappointed. So they had a crap year. Big deal. Learn from it and come back stronger next year. If people continually suggest for someone to quit when things don't go their way, there wouldn't be any drivers left on the grid. :wave:

#2607 Sof1

Sof1

• 596 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:34

Guardian UK: "The seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher is just too old to make an impact in modern Formula One, according to the new championship leader, Lewis Hamilton."

#2608 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:45

Guardian UK: "The seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher is just too old to make an impact in modern Formula One, according to the new championship leader, Lewis Hamilton."

im sure hamilton would have the car on the front row of the grid every race.

to me its a crap car about as good as the mclaren was at the start of last season and without the upgrades to make it into a race contender.

its obvious the team back home cant make anything good

#2609 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:53

spoken like a true champion toiling around mid-pack in an average car. Oh, wait a minute...
Lewis will grow up one day, but it won't be today.

#2610 Sof1

Sof1

• 596 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 18:02

sarahholtf1:

In response to a question saying it was a long time since he'd started P15, Schumacher gamely responded: "So what?"

He seems to be enjoying the challenge! I hope he can deliver soon, although it doesn't seem to be looking promising this year. Maybe 2011!

Edited by Sof1, 26 June 2010 - 18:03.

#2611 Bleu

Bleu

• 750 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 18:09

Did he ever qualified in the top three of the fastest Germans this season so far?

German ranking race by race (Glock always 6th):

Bahrain&Australia&China: Vettel, Rosberg, Schumacher, Sutil, Hülkenberg
Malaysia: Rosberg, Vettel, Sutil, Hülkenberg, Schumacher
Spain&Turkey: Vettel, Schumacher, Rosberg, Sutil, Hülkenberg
Monaco: Vettel, Rosberg, Schumacher, Hülkenberg, Sutil
Canada: Vettel, Sutil, Rosberg, Hülkenberg, Schumacher
Europe: Vettel, Hülkenberg, Rosberg, Sutil, Schumacher

#2612 Snuggie

Snuggie

• 71 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 18:23

spoken like a true champion toiling around mid-pack in an average car. Oh, wait a minute...

After that he was pushing like crazy and he still is today. His commitment is the same as always but it is so challenging. It is very difficult to out-do the youngsters that have the hunger that he had when he started."

That is what Lewis said. How retarded journalists turn the words around is another topic.
But yeah let's bash Lewis to give MS some breathing space. :rolleyes:

#2613 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 19:21

No they weren't. Rosberg was 0.6secs faster than MS which is a huge gap.

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER
I could have gone maybe three-tenths quicker on my last lap if Buemi had not been in the way but it would still not have been enough for Q3.

NORBERT HAUG
Michael hit traffic in the last sector of his fastest lap which prevented him from improving further.

http://www.mercedes-...ncia-qualifying

Nothing much, but just a li'l bit of correction.

#2614 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 19:22

It won't happen, Mercedes will take care of that. Question is: Will he finish this season? Probably yes.

Agree 100% with above.

#2615 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 19:28

We all remember how was Lewis last year. With less points than Schumi this time of last year. It is easy to drive McLaren now and to laugh at other drivers.

#2616 as65p

as65p

• 17,190 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 19:32

We all remember how was Lewis last year.

Sure. If Kovalainnen had scored double his points and two podiums in the same time, that would have been a valid point.

#2617 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 19:41

I am talking about his performance and Michael's, not Rozberg VS Schumi. Driver is as good as his car.

#2618 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 20:13

I am talking about his performance and Michael's, not Rozberg VS Schumi. Driver is as good as his car.

Then it seems that Rosberg's car is better :drunk:

#2619 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 20:20

For 12 place, yes. He is happy.

Advertisement

#2620 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 20:56

http://www.mercedes-...ncia-qualifying

Nothing much, but just a li'l bit of correction.

sector times were too slow for a better time. Sometimes MS should be a bit more realistic. I think he didn't check his sector times on his last lap.

#2621 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,304 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 21:36

Interesting archive article on MS in 1995 http://atlasf1.autos.../doolittle.html

Seems quite poignant.

#2622 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,976 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 21:50

Lewis probably didn't even say it. The British media like to invent Lewis Hamilton quotes to create a story out of nothing. It's typical British gutter press.

#2623 P123

P123

• 8,218 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 22:19

So Rosberg is outperforming the car, by your logic. Well done to him!

#2624 P123

P123

• 8,218 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 22:21

Lewis probably didn't even say it. The British media like to invent Lewis Hamilton quotes to create a story out of nothing. It's typical British gutter press.

Correct- it's their spin on his words:

"After that he was pushing like crazy and he still is today. His commitment is the same as always but it is so challenging. It is very difficult to out-do the youngsters that have the hunger that he had when he started."

#2625 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 22:44

If I was that rich, I'd think of better things to do with my time.

You can have all the money in the world but there is nothing better to do for a racer then racing the best race cars in the world.

Doing what you love, thats what life is about. He should continue to not care about what other people think he should do, and just get on doing what he enjoys.

Too many people in this world care too much about what other people think of them. Michael Schumacher loves racing, and he can do it in the worlds best cars, he is doing the right thing.

Edited by Kucki, 26 June 2010 - 22:46.

#2626 baddog

baddog

• 23,364 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 23:16

Correct- it's their spin on his words:

"After that he was pushing like crazy and he still is today. His commitment is the same as always but it is so challenging. It is very difficult to out-do the youngsters that have the hunger that he had when he started."

Nothing wrong with his words there at all. Stupid press nonsense, but then as we see from the BBC the british media have a seriously unhealthy obsession with Michael.

Crap performance today, but the car looks like a disaster.

#2627 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 00:02

You can have all the money in the world but there is nothing better to do for a racer then racing the best race cars in the world.

Doing what you love, thats what life is about. He should continue to not care about what other people think he should do, and just get on doing what he enjoys.

Too many people in this world care too much about what other people think of them. Michael Schumacher loves racing, and he can do it in the worlds best cars, he is doing the right thing.

Maybe, but all he will leave behind when he goes is his legacy, and he's destroying that, but maybe he doesn't care.

But at least he is having fun... if you believe that.

Edited by CaptainJackSparrow, 27 June 2010 - 00:06.

#2628 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 00:19

:wave:
I really do believe that this is like Status Quo and a "comeback too far".
Check out the stats and the drivers ( I'm an OLD guy) who competed against Michael in his prime, check out the frail oppostion in terms of Engineering and Design Technology.
Check the videos for the dodgy moves (Villeneuve 1997, Jerez) & Damon Hill (Australia1994).
Check out the contract with Ferrari that said No.2, MOVE OVER.
Check out the deals with Max"whiplash" Mosley that allowed Ferrari a "veto" on ANYTHING not in their intersets.
Schumi is up against the BEST crop of drivers ( Raikkonen is the only element missing) since the mid-late 80's.
His Resurrection was more of an INCOME STREAM, rather than a realistic approach to racing :down:
P15 Valencia, come on it's time for the forgotten German, NICK HEIDFELD :clap:
Guaranteed, they (MERCEDES) will run this option at least once in 2010 :smoking:

#2629 baddog

baddog

• 23,364 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 00:30

Nick (who I like a great deal) failed to get out of Q1 in a car his teammate put in Q3 on several occassions. Michael is 3 places behind his teammate, both in Q2. wtf are you on about exactly?

#2630 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 00:36

Hey baddog.
Schumacher is yet another Income Stream, "Mr.Money" for Mecedes :smoking:
Wake Up and smell the coffee :smoking:
Walkies :kiss:

#2631 black magic

black magic

• 3,854 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 00:50

clearly michael has struggled through testing and now qualifying for valencia.

sensible analysis would also show that with rosberg manageing only 12 th that the car has some major issues.

would seem mercedes has lost ground now to both renault and possibly even force india.

they consistantly fall back come saturday to look better for periods during the race.

lack of testing is a major as clearly you either get it right or you dont have the time to improve.

but can someone explain to me why a team so clearly struggling does as little runnning come testing sessions as the mjor players. shouldn't they be sacrificing some race performce to get some decent mileage under their belt and get the car ahead. shouldnt they split their testing for gps to maybe double up their effective tesing.

seems they behave like a championship leader yet they are middle of the grid only. considering rosbergs confidence of their new bits on friday this qualifying is a disgrace

#2632 DaleCooper

DaleCooper

• 2,512 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:18

If you can't make the tyres work for one lap, you fall far back, especially since the field is so closely matched. Factor in the lack of Valencia experience, and the brake issues he had, and the gap to Rosberg is understandable. If you look at purely the time difference, it's not so bad.

Basically, until Mercedes get on top of their tyre issues (which they already had a hint of last year, and didn't learn from it), and Schumacher learns to exploit the tyres properly, using an effective setup, there will be no progress. It has nothing to do with driving talent, as Hamilton did qualify 11th earlier in the year for the same reasons, and others have also experienced similar problems.

Drivers don't forget to drive, or run out of talent one week and get it back the next. It's all about utilizing the tools at your disposal in the most effective way. I think that Mercedes have a very problematic basic chassis, and as they said repeatedly, the sweet spot is very narrow, if you miss it, you are nowhere.

I was afraid that the chassis homologation would basically hinder any major fix of the Mercedes car's handling issues, and that seems to have transpired.

One other thing to add is that since Schumacher still believes that a decent solution can be found, and he believes there is progress being made, and since he knows a whole lot more about it than we do, all hope is not lost.

Cooper

#2633 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 881 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:31

Guaranteed, they (MERCEDES) will run this option at least once in 2010 :smoking:

You are getting your hopes up for nothing. It won't happen. At least, not this year.

#2634 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:08

He bettered Rosberg at Australia,Spain,Monaco,Turkey (where he overtook him on the outside,IIRC),and Canada. That's 5 of 8 races so far,who're you kidding? If he wasn't qualifying ahead he would barge through at the race,you can't blame Schumacher for Rosberg's inability to overtake aggressively or get a clean start.

You asked me to name races where he got a better start than Rosberg and then had a problem in the race. He did not have any problems in three races you mentioned, so why are you bringing them up? Pay attention.

Funnily enough, I remember the live timing data that said Rosberg couldn't get near him at either Turkey or Monaco. He got close, but never within a second and at any point, that gap could be widened out to 3 to 4 seconds.

Rosberg was much faster in Monaco and was held up massively by MS there.
At Turkey he closed up on MS the moment he started pushing a bit more, but he knew there was no way he was passing his teammate there, so why hurt your car and be one second from his teammate all the time.

And Rosberg was wrong. He had an extra lap to jump Michael and couldn't do it, and then after the Webber Vettel crash, Schumacher left him for dead going after Webber. The whole time Michael was controlling the pace.

:rotfl:
Extra lap hurts you these days, because it is not done on low fuel anymore.
But of course you are wrong on every aspect of your post, after Vettel and Webber collided, then Rosberg closed right up to less than 1 second of MS (the gap before was 2 seconds), but of course there was no way past his slow old teammate.
If that is leaving NR for dead :rotfl:

We all remember how was Lewis last year. With less points than Schumi this time of last year. It is easy to drive McLaren now and to laugh at other drivers.

Hamilton was beating his teammate by a big margin. Schumacher is being the laughing stock of whole F1 at the moment and I am enjoying it a lot. Let him continue for many more years.

Well, Rosberg must have a much better car then, because yesterday he was over 6 tenths faster than schumacher. As for comparing him with Hamilton, well, Hamilton was easily one of the top drivers even at the start of last season.
schumacher is as close to being a top driver as Angola is close to being a successful country.

#2635 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:45

If you can't make the tyres work for one lap, you fall far back, especially since the field is so closely matched. Factor in the lack of Valencia experience, and the brake issues he had, and the gap to Rosberg is understandable. If you look at purely the time difference, it's not so bad.

Basically, until Mercedes get on top of their tyre issues (which they already had a hint of last year, and didn't learn from it), and Schumacher learns to exploit the tyres properly, using an effective setup, there will be no progress. It has nothing to do with driving talent, as Hamilton did qualify 11th earlier in the year for the same reasons, and others have also experienced similar problems.

Drivers don't forget to drive, or run out of talent one week and get it back the next. It's all about utilizing the tools at your disposal in the most effective way. I think that Mercedes have a very problematic basic chassis, and as they said repeatedly, the sweet spot is very narrow, if you miss it, you are nowhere.

I was afraid that the chassis homologation would basically hinder any major fix of the Mercedes car's handling issues, and that seems to have transpired.

One other thing to add is that since Schumacher still believes that a decent solution can be found, and he believes there is progress being made, and since he knows a whole lot more about it than we do, all hope is not lost.

Cooper

THey dont forget how to drive but you do loose the edge a bit and they have to adjust to all the changes in the cars all at once instead of gradually. Every driver that has stepped away and tried to come back has had issues with getting back up to speed...at least since the mid 80s forward. Lauda and Mario Andretti were the last drivers to do well immediately after taking a lay off and Andretti had one of the best cars in the field (pole at Monza in 1982). Alan jones->failure, Prost-> won the WDC in what was by far the best car for most of the year BUT Senna in a clearly inferior car gave him a good run...in the same car Prost would have likely been made to look slow, Mansell->much slower than hill and a disaster at Mclaren, JV->2 sec/lap slower than Alonso, pushed out by BMW.

Every driver thinks that they just have to so this or that and they will be right there. As I have said before, MS is tyring to do something very very hard. HE has had a couple of races where he has been competitive with Rosberg but lets be honest. After a session is over, it is a surprise if Rosberg is not faster.

BE HONEST> if you were betting your money on which was faster before a given session, you put the money on Rosberg.

#2636 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:56

THey dont forget how to drive but you do loose the edge a bit and they have to adjust to all the changes in the cars all at once instead of gradually. Every driver that has stepped away and tried to come back has had issues with getting back up to speed...at least since the mid 80s forward. Lauda and Mario Andretti were the last drivers to do well immediately after taking a lay off and Andretti had one of the best cars in the field (pole at Monza in 1982). Alan jones->failure, Prost-> won the WDC in what was by far the best car for most of the year BUT Senna in a clearly inferior car gave him a good run...in the same car Prost would have likely been made to look slow, Mansell->much slower than hill and a disaster at Mclaren, JV->2 sec/lap slower than Alonso, pushed out by BMW.

Too many holes in that argument, especially relating to the relevant comebacks of the drivers you mentioned. Might be wise to get those facts right first before comparing anything.

The way people on this forum attempt to re-create history is mind boggling.

#2637 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:53

Too many holes in that argument, especially relating to the relevant comebacks of the drivers you mentioned. Might be wise to get those facts right first before comparing anything.

The way people on this forum attempt to re-create history is mind boggling.

You can argue with a couple of opinions but what I wrote was factual

OK...how many races did Jones win? How many races did he even finish? Was not with an established team..agreed. still hard to argue it was succesful when he only neted 4 points in 2 seasons.

Pros?t barely beat Hill who was no where close to Senna in the same car with an additional year of experience. Prost was close to Senna in the same team before the retirement and now Senna is giving him a run despite giving up around 100hp (at least according to Autosport) at the beginning of the season. You could debate this one because he did win the WDC but the picture would have been very different had it been against Senna.....or, ironically, had Mansell decided to stay. Point is that the layoff of 1 year clearly effected his level of driving.

JV? There was a radio transimssion broadcast during the races while teamed with Alonso that he was 2 sec a lap slower. He was pushed out early by BMW....exactly what do you disagree with?

Mansell? was slower than Hill in the races....clearly not fit enough (berger at the French GP said he saw that his neck muscles were not up to it as he could not keep his head up in the corners. Williams said he was not willing to test, that combined with the lack of conditioning choose to keep David Coulthard. At Mclaren, he was seconds of Mika even when they made a chassis larger for him.

The last WDC to make a really successful comeback where he looked like the driver he was before he left was Lauda. Like I siad, Prost was debatable because of the significant car advantage but if there are facts I have mistated, you point them out.

MS will not consistantly improve compared to Rosberg this year...mark it down. Next year? Could be a different story depending but we have had enough races this year to know the score with the current car.

Edited by jimm, 27 June 2010 - 07:54.

#2638 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:59

Your cherry picking moments out of all those combacks (and not taking into account the most important thing - related circumstances) to form your opinion of Schumachers comeback.

Sorry but its ridiculous. To start with - no comeback is ever the same as the next, there is always differing elements. Hence that renders your assumption wide of the mark.

It's far too time consuming going into details (its been flogged to death) but your wide of the mark talking about Prost, Villeneuve and Mansell's comebacks to start with. Even Alan Jones. It's far too simplistic and missing vital bits of info, the track you've gone down.

#2639 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:01

I really do believe that this is like Status Quo and a "comeback too far".
Check out the stats and the drivers ( I'm an OLD guy) who competed against Michael in his prime, check out the frail oppostion in terms of Engineering and Design Technology.
Check the videos for the dodgy moves (Villeneuve 1997, Jerez) & Damon Hill (Australia1994).
Check out the contract with Ferrari that said No.2, MOVE OVER.
Check out the deals with Max"whiplash" Mosley that allowed Ferrari a "veto" on ANYTHING not in their intersets.
Schumi is up against the BEST crop of drivers ( Raikkonen is the only element missing) since the mid-late 80's.
His Resurrection was more of an INCOME STREAM, rather than a realistic approach to racing :down:

"Schumi is up against the BEST crop of drivers ( Raikkonen is the only element missing) since the mid-late 80's."

I still wonder why are Damon Hill and Mika Häkkinen so underrated? Because Schumacher beated them? And? He was simply quicker... Hill and Häkkinen were also both fast and both won 20 and more races... Just a random? Btw. Alonso is equal with Hill in wins, but Damon has competed only in 115 GP compared to Alonso s 147... And Alonso s win ahead of Schumacher in 2006 - one (Alonso) was at his peak and the second (Schumacher) was with one foot out of F1... To Kimi Räikkonen - he was everytime (except one year) driving for an elite team (McLaren, Ferrari) and still achieved only 1 title with only 1 point advance over 2 other drivers... Btw he is behind Hill and also Häkkinen in wins, looking on championships he is equal (Hill) or behind (Häkkinen)...

Advertisement

#2640 as65p

as65p

• 17,190 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:17

"Schumi is up against the BEST crop of drivers ( Raikkonen is the only element missing) since the mid-late 80's."

.. And Alonso s win ahead of Schumacher in 2006 - one (Alonso) was at his peak and the second (Schumacher) was with one foot out of F1... .

Hardly. He was forced to meet Raikönnen on equal terms or leave, and chose the latter. I'm absolutely sure, given KR's showing against Massa, that he regrets this decision more than anything else in his professional life.

If anything, his comeback is a further indication that he was by no means finished with F1 in 2006. Basically right from his retirement he couldn't let go, first trundling around the Ferrari pits ("the owl", still love that :lol: ), then trying to get Massa's drive after the accident and now the great (or not so great, as it turns out) comeback.

#2641 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:27

The whole argument put forward that the crop of drivers post Senna (mid-late 90's/early 00's) was pretty weak is...just that. A weak argument.

The BIG difference between now and then was this - Schumacher never had more than ONE direct opponent when fighting for a World title until Raikkonen/Montoya in 2003. This is not due to the quality, Hakkinen, Villeneuve and Hill were all great, fast drivers with fine records when having a top car at their disposal. Even with bad cars...they could conjure results.

The problem is - when one was fighting Schumacher for the title, the other two did not have the equipment to do likewise. Look at it this way, if say in 1998 Williams had developed a fast car again and McLaren had paired Hakkinen and Hill together (which was possible) that would have pitched Schumacher into at least a 3 way, possibly 4 way fight for the title. All had proved they had the goods to be/achieve a World Championship title.

That could/should have been the case from 1997 right through to 2001 but circumstances prevented it. That made Schumachers life easier....also the whole debacle surrounding MS cherry picking teammates shut off a competitive seat there also. Preventing Ferrari hiring a Hakkinen or Villeneuve etc.

Now we have Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Button, Kubica...as the standout drivers. Yet we also have 3 or 4 very strong teams capable of top results (wins and regular podiums). That was never the case for the above crop. It was either 2 of Williams/Ferrari/McLaren at the sharp end....with the rest light years away from a title challenge.

#2642 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:47

The whole argument put forward that the crop of drivers post Senna (mid-late 90's/early 00's) was pretty weak is...just that. A weak argument.

The BIG difference between now and then was this - Schumacher never had more than ONE direct opponent when fighting for a World title until Raikkonen/Montoya in 2003. This is not due to the quality, Hakkinen, Villeneuve and Hill were all great, fast drivers with fine records when having a top car at their disposal. Even with bad cars...they could conjure results.

The problem is - when one was fighting Schumacher for the title, the other two did not have the equipment to do likewise. Look at it this way, if say in 1998 Williams had developed a fast car again and McLaren had paired Hakkinen and Hill together (which was possible) that would have pitched Schumacher into at least a 3 way, possibly 4 way fight for the title. All had proved they had the goods to be/achieve a World Championship title.

That could/should have been the case from 1997 right through to 2001 but circumstances prevented it. That made Schumachers life easier....also the whole debacle surrounding MS cherry picking teammates shut off a competitive seat there also. Preventing Ferrari hiring a Hakkinen or Villeneuve etc.

Now we have Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Button, Kubica as the standout drivers. Yet we also have 3 or 4 very strong teams capable of top results (wins and regular podiums). That was never the case for the above crop. It was either 2 of Williams/Ferrari/McLaren at the sharp end....with the rest light years away from a title challenge.

I agree with Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel... But Button was generally slower then Ralf Schumacher, Fisichella, Trulli and also Barrichello (at least 2008)... I don t have him on such a top level... And about Kubica - wasn t he three times behind his teammate Quick Nick in championship standings? And where is Heidfeld now? So, I don t rate Kubica so highly as Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel... Barrichello, Trulli, Fisichella and Heidfeld also suprised with results driving average cars, but all of them have no title yet... Massa is a dissapointment for me this year after quite strong showings against Kimi Räikkonen, on other hand Webber looks much better then in previous years...

#2643 Nova

Nova

• 7,055 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:20

It's no secret that I did not like Schumacher. When he entered the scene I enjoyed Senna both as a standout driver but also as a personality. Schui was always fast, but dull. Later he was a bit dirty in driving, still dull, and he insisted on being the nr. 1 driver to the extent we saw in the infamous race in Austria.

However my impression of him have actually improved after his comeback. He have taken a chance, he competes on equal terms, he does not care what it does with his reputation (and with me it increases), and he doesn't complain or make excuses. He just buckles down and work hard.

I'll put it this way, he has always been an excellent driver, now to me he have finally become a champion.

#2644 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,777 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:29

Yet another great start from schumaher, quite possibly just had the race destroyed by the safety car.

#2645 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:29

Which stupid idiot make the brilliant tactical decissions in Merc?
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

#2646 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:31

I am getting sick of this now am sure MS must be to 3rd to last again! I am getting tired of merc's screw ups.

#2647 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 13:09

I'm still think Schumi need a new race engineer. It's clear they don't understand each other.

#2648 Sof1

Sof1

• 596 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 13:52

I do not understand these stupendous race strategies by Merc.

Whats going on here?

#2649 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 13:53

I'm still think Schumi need a new race engineer. It's clear they don't understand each other.

I agree the time has come for the team to do some reshuffling they cant keep screwing MS's race up like this. every race he owns Rosberg off the line. Every race they screw up and he finishes last.

#2650 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 14:02

Koba finished 7th. Schumi also could do this. Merc crew/MS1s crew look like a bunch of idiot...