Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#2851 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 17:40

Gee MS can be so childish at times...

erm the bbc team were beeing childish giggling about like school girls egging each other on to dare try and talk to him because they all knew they had no chance.

coulthard almost seemed embarased to be in that position

Advertisement

#2852 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 17:46

erm the bbc team were beeing childish giggling about like school girls egging each other on to dare try and talk to him because they all knew they had no chance.

coulthard almost seemed embarased to be in that position

DC replied appropriately by saying MS was rude, and that was true and factual, well done DC! Like school girls? bah! lol

#2853 baddog

baddog

• 23,632 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 20:54

DC replied appropriately by saying MS was rude, and that was true and factual, well done DC! Like school girls? bah! lol

After Canada, what would you have said to the BBC if you were him? I bet it would have been a lot more colourful hmm?

#2854 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,224 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 22:10

I have a good feeling for Silverstone. The high speed nature of the circuit usually brings the tyres up to temperature quicker and the long wheelbase chassis combined with the quick flowing corners should help both Rosberg and Schumacher get closer to the front runners. I still think Red Bull will run away with it though

#2855 scarletf12002

scarletf12002

• 77 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 22:45

Oh they once went as far as to announce they would not be approaching Lewis on the grid because Mclaren wanted him to be left alone to prepare and they would respect that in order to help him out. shyeah.

That was precisely my point, they did it to show him up as rude cos they knew he wouldn't talk to them! They are not as stupid as they look?! He doesn't do the pre-race talk cos he really doesn't need the PR, people have made up their mind about him already (love him or hate him!) and a few minutes chatting with MB ain't gonna change nothing, so why ruin ur focus?

#2856 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:35

Michael do pre-race talk with RTL every time. Maybe he do it with other TV also. But every one knew he will not speak with current BBC people(and this is not something new).If they want to show him rude person is talking for them really. How they do "journalism". How they make stories.

Edited by ivand911, 06 July 2010 - 06:36.

#2857 Galka

Galka

• 300 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:57

Did anyone see planetF1 story by Andrew Davies, enjoyed that!

http://www.planetf1....humacher-s-Back

Andrew Davies is fed up listening to people criticizing Michael Schumacher. F1 needs drama and intrigue.

I don't see any drama and intrigue about Schumacher's performance. He's just cruising around.

#2858 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:51

After Canada, what would you have said to the BBC if you were him? I bet it would have been a lot more colourful hmm?

I would of been a man and replied instead of looking like a rude git, simple as that. And I would of understood and agreed with the criticisms of Canada and have been humble about it, does MS and others, (Vettel lol), even know what being humble means??

#2859 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,924 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:59

So he's a rude git for not giving an interview based on Canada, when he has historically not given interviews regardless?

Advertisement

#2860 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:44

So he's a rude git for not giving an interview based on Canada, when he has historically not given interviews regardless?

I've always thought of him as a rude arrogant git to be honest. Just he was driving for Ferrari in the past, so I tolerated him lol. I wish he would succeed now so simply we can have more players near the top end fighting for wins, not just the same old trio etc., and if he did win, it would be great to see the young guys facial expressions :D

#2861 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 15:41

hi all,

This is my first post in any F1 forum although I've been a regular visitor for a while and I'm a big MS fan.

I guess all this has been discussed already, but wanted to comment anyway. MS has not made Q3 for the past 2 races in a row, but in those races, Nico ended up 10th in Canada and failed to make it to Q3 himself in Valencia. So this points to a problem with Mercedes not being able to use tyres well on low fuel.

It has been conveniently forgotten, especially by those idiots on BBC that both Alonso and Hamilton failed to make Q3 (in the case of Alonso in three races, although in Malaysia and Monaco it was for different reasons) when they should have comfortably made it. Both of them were plain slow.

I must admit though that I've been disappointed with MS' performance so far, he could have had a much higher finishing position if he had taken care of his own strategy (Canada and Valencia), which would mean he would have finished higher than Nico for 5 races in a row.

I still have faith that Michael will finish on the podium in atleast two of the remaining races this year.

#2862 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 19:43

I've always thought of him as a rude arrogant git to be honest. Just he was driving for Ferrari in the past, so I tolerated him lol. I wish he would succeed now so simply we can have more players near the top end fighting for wins, not just the same old trio etc., and if he did win, it would be great to see the young guys facial expressions :D

Perhaps he is a creature of the environment he lives and works. From odd snippets I read here and there he is actually very kind, funny, friendly and polite to his friends. Maybe people like Brundle have knack for running him to the edge every time they speak about him. Communication is a team sport, so I heard.

#2863 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 19:47

hi all,

This is my first post in any F1 forum although I've been a regular visitor for a while and I'm a big MS fan.

I guess all this has been discussed already, but wanted to comment anyway. MS has not made Q3 for the past 2 races in a row, but in those races, Nico ended up 10th in Canada and failed to make it to Q3 himself in Valencia. So this points to a problem with Mercedes not being able to use tyres well on low fuel.

It has been conveniently forgotten, especially by those idiots on BBC that both Alonso and Hamilton failed to make Q3 (in the case of Alonso in three races, although in Malaysia and Monaco it was for different reasons) when they should have comfortably made it. Both of them were plain slow.

I must admit though that I've been disappointed with MS' performance so far, he could have had a much higher finishing position if he had taken care of his own strategy (Canada and Valencia), which would mean he would have finished higher than Nico for 5 races in a row.

I still have faith that Michael will finish on the podium in atleast two of the remaining races this year.

Welcome; I must say you are "my kind of people", based on your first post. You get a star for your assertion of IQ reporters at BBC. :rotfl:

#2864 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 23:53

Brundle has always struck me as a person who has equal amounts of total admiration and jealousy when it comes with Schumacher.

Admiration because he knows just how good, fast, ruthless and consistent he is.

Jealous because he has had so much success and luck on his side.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 06 July 2010 - 23:53.

#2865 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:53

Martin is human and he's raced agains Michael
Martin has been a racer an no matter how much admiration you have got you still hate the things the other one does and you feel they're unfair.

I think we're asking too much from these guys. We can't be objective on a board and keep calling each other names but these guys have been in the same fight together and we expect them to be 100% fair on live TV.

#2866 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,695 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:59

hi all,

It hasn't been forgotten, but the big difference is that when LH and FA got it wrong they showed decent pace in the race.

#2867 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,689 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:03

I think Brundle and Eddie Jordan haven't got a clue, Martin has been so good over the years but he does fall victim of not understanding circumstances very well, he buy's into saying things like a driver has not performed to standard even if say for example his car has failed really unfairly through a season. Eddie and Martin think that if a driver has more points than his teammate in a season it can only be because they've out-performed their teammate.

#2868 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:04

It hasn't been forgotten, but the big difference is that when LH and FA got it wrong they showed decent pace in the race.

did they? what did alonso show in turkey for instance?
it's difficult to show decent pace unless your car is miles faster than the others and you can move ahead.

but..in canada michael showed decent pace, if not put to drive 35 laps on the softs....in valencia he pushed hard as much as there was free track available. he went for some moves on the first lap, he passed some backmarker cars once at the back but obviously hit trouble when caught the pack. he did an extra pit stop and made that time back to jaime so he had more pace than the cars in front...but only marginal on a track where you can't pass.

Edited by MikeTekRacing, 07 July 2010 - 08:05.

#2869 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:03

Thing is, Verstappen even had a real shot for a win / podium in a Minardi in Brazil 2003.

Schumacher in his Merc, still hadn't.

Could be the car of course, but hey ... the Merc is no Minardi, now is it?

Edited by Frans, 07 July 2010 - 11:04.

#2870 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:10

Perhaps he is a creature of the environment he lives and works. From odd snippets I read here and there he is actually very kind, funny, friendly and polite to his friends. Maybe people like Brundle have knack for running him to the edge every time they speak about him. Communication is a team sport, so I heard.

Just thought he'd try harder knowing that millions are watching him, at least speak to Eddie even if it pains him lol...

#2871 rookie

rookie

• 416 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:22

Thing is, Verstappen even had a real shot for a win / podium in a Minardi in Brazil 2003.

brazil 2003....one of the best races ever....can't recall Jos having a shot at the win though, but i guess we will never know seeing he wasn't good enough to keep it out of the wall....didn't he crash into the same wall schumacher did?

also jos and brazil has reminded me of 01 and jos creaming into the back of montoya while being lapped....in hindsight jos just wasn't that good was he?

#2872 Bleu

Bleu

• 806 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:36

In Brazil 2003 Verstappen was running ahead of eventual winner Fisichella at the point he spun and he had enough fuel to go to lap where the race was stopped. That's the point Stoddart made after the race, well we didn't know if he had been able to keep Fisi behind or not.

#2873 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:51

Just thought he'd try harder knowing that millions are watching him, at least speak to Eddie even if it pains him lol...

I am not sure how useful is to try turning a stranger into your own image. The man has been attacked by media so many times, that today I understand his defensive behavior, and I also know that unless I have the same experience, it's unfair to play a judge and denounce him for it.

Take Monaco incident. Brundle, a few seconds after car became standstill declared, that choice of location where Ferrari parked was deliberate.

Now think about it; maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t, but without talking to Schumacher, and studying technical aspects of the circumstances, Brundle engaged what is probably slander of Schumacher, because he couldn’t prove his point; not five seconds looking onto a TV screen. He offered his opinion, but did he worded as such?

Case like this one and others I think are enough of a reason for Schumacher to keep his distance.

#2874 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 13:09

I've always thought of him as a rude arrogant git to be honest.

How many times I have read this over the years and I have asked for examples....I'll ask again.

(and most likely keep waiting).

#2875 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 13:17

Did anyone see planetF1 story by Andrew Davies, enjoyed that!

http://www.planetf1....humacher-s-Back

For many years, not liking and not appreciating Michael Schumacher was my 40-a-day habit. I thought he was artful and clever but not as outstanding brilliant as people made out. In 1994 he may or may not have driven into Damon Hill deliberately to win his first World Championship - but the fact that no Schumi fan could deny is that under pressure in Adelaide he cracked and drove straight off the road.

Another British dickhead Journo who fails to put the entire 1994 season into the true light of why those events in one race of 16 happened.

Look at the scoreboard dickhead, some of us remember what happened in the other 15 ......

#2876 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 13:23

Brundle has always struck me as a person who has equal amounts of total admiration and jealousy when it comes with Schumacher.

Brundle was one of the better GP racers of the era and I couldn't understand why he wasn't better with results until he starts commenting on MS - MS must have psyched him something shocking back then and he's still spitting chips inside about it.

I'm guessing he psyched him hard because he was the fastest team mate MS had IMO.

#2877 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,924 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 13:29

For many years, not liking and not appreciating Michael Schumacher was my 40-a-day habit. I thought he was artful and clever but not as outstanding brilliant as people made out. In 1994 he may or may not have driven into Damon Hill deliberately to win his first World Championship - but the fact that no Schumi fan could deny is that under pressure in Adelaide he cracked and drove straight off the road.

Another British dickhead Journo who fails to put the entire 1994 season into the true light of why those events in one race of 16 happened.

Look at the scoreboard dickhead, some of us remember what happened in the other 15 ......

Or the way Damon completely balls'd up the overtake in his typical will-I won't-I style.

#2878 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 13:37

I don't see any drama and intrigue about Schumacher's performance. He's just cruising around.

Go and start up a F1 GP game, do a full race of 100 odd minutes in the comfort of your own home with out the forces and noise involved and even from that come back and tell us any driver out there is cruising.

Some of the drivers and there are awesome and the rest are just merely great.

#2879 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 13:54

How many times I have read this over the years and I have asked for examples....I'll ask again.

(and most likely keep waiting).

I can read facial expressions, tone of voices, and read in between the lines of various replies :wave:

Advertisement

#2880 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,263 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 16:44

http://www.crash.net...tions_hill.html

#2881 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 20:31

http://www.crash.net...tions_hill.html

Hope Mclaren run their new blown diffuser, have reliability problems, both Hamilton and Jenson drop out of the race and Michael makes the podium! Would love to see the reaction of BBC 'experts'. Wishful thinking..

#2882 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 21:14

Hope Mclaren run their new blown diffuser, have reliability problems, both Hamilton and Jenson drop out of the race and Michael makes the podium! Would love to see the reaction of BBC 'experts'. Wishful thinking..

Even if McLarens drop out from from the race, Michael still would have to be faster than Rosberg, 2 Ferraris and one Renault, which is very unlikely :cat:

#2883 scarletf12002

scarletf12002

• 77 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 22:20

I can read facial expressions, tone of voices, and read in between the lines of various replies :wave:

That maybe true, but I think for people for whom english is not a first language, some does get lost in translation (sorry for that but hard to resist!) esp those slightly older. Remember there was no interweb back then hence not as much cultural exposure etc. Thats probably why all of the younger generation come across with much more ease and confidence with the language, some of the older ones like Michael do have to fake it to a degree. Not sure what Alonso's deal is tho? For me he never seems to across as particularly friendly or charming in interviews but as far as I know no one has labelled him arrogant? ( Even with 0.6s he brings?)

#2884 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:46

That maybe true, but I think for people for whom english is not a first language, some does get lost in translation (sorry for that but hard to resist!) esp those slightly older. Remember there was no interweb back then hence not as much cultural exposure etc. Thats probably why all of the younger generation come across with much more ease and confidence with the language, some of the older ones like Michael do have to fake it to a degree. Not sure what Alonso's deal is tho? For me he never seems to across as particularly friendly or charming in interviews but as far as I know no one has labelled him arrogant? ( Even with 0.6s he brings?)

Alonso may be a bit of an ass in press conferences, but he is a gem of a person when interacting with fans. He takes time out specially to meet fans at races,even if he has other contractual PR stuff to do. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the US GP in 2006. I know from other experiences of friends as well, he once took time off to take pictures with 30 odd fans after practice ! This is a rarity in this sport. With F1 fans, there are few people who are as warm as Mr Alonso.

Schumacher is much more introverted, stays to himself, and it seems like he sometimes does not understand why so many people try to break the gates to meet him. It maybe a result of thousands of people mobbing him wherever he goes, hes just numb now I think. All he ever does is give a friendly wave from a distance most of the time.

#2885 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:14

Michael doesn't consider himself a star, who's there to be worshipped by fans, or otherwise he'd probably lose his sanity.

All Michael in the end wants to do is just drive.

#2886 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:31

Did MGP have simulator? Can be this one of Michael problems of not using simulator. All other big teams have very good simulators. I can assume Michael is not big fan of such devices? Did he use one in Ferrari? Personally I am very optimistic for Silverstone. Finish in 4th-5th place. Mercedes will improve blown diffuser. And if tires work maybe better result. Can't wait.

#2887 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:23

That Valencia video is underwhelming. Did he overtake anyone that didn't go off the track or wasn't held up by someone else going off/coming back on?

That´s the point.

I just watched Canada 1993 with Senna overtaking in the first lap and a half from 8th to 3rd, including Schumacher, Patrese, Berger, Alesi, Brundle and ending up just behind the mighty Williams of Prost and Hill. That was serious overtaking in a very uncompetitive car (Senna had qualified only 8th, his worst qualfying since Austria 1986!) - these overtakings in an underengined McLaren were something entirely different than Schumacher´s poor effort in Valencia.

Not to start a Senna - Schumacher discussion here - Senna at 41 would probably be as uncompetitive as MS.
Guys, mentioning here the Valencia start of MS is clutching at straws...

#2888 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:28

BTW did anyone else notice that on last week's grid walk at Valencia they made apoint of trying to talk to Schu even they know he doesn't do pre-race interviews hence not a single journo standing near him, but they had to make him look rude about it!

Well, Michael does give on the grid interviews, to RTL and to ORF for example.
Difference is, they are extolling him to the skies and don´t give a realistic reporting on Michael showings like the beeb does. So Michael is keen to talk to them....
To the Emperor what is the Emperors....

#2889 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:14

That´s the point.

I just watched Canada 1993 with Senna overtaking in the first lap and a half from 8th to 3rd, including Schumacher, Patrese, Berger, Alesi, Brundle and ending up just behind the mighty Williams of Prost and Hill. That was serious overtaking in a very uncompetitive car (Senna had qualified only 8th, his worst qualfying since Austria 1986!) - these overtakings in an underengined McLaren were something entirely different than Schumacher´s poor effort in Valencia.

I guess in the same race Senna stuffing up his pitstop start and stalling the car balances that out to just human.

Minor details, a better mid ranged, less peaky powerband car is a little easier on cold tyres on the first lap or in the wet and he went to 4th not 3rd.

No slanging, Senna drove very well in '93 but it's not always just the driver.

Good video here of the 1992 season showing some wheel to wheel with Senna and Brundle saying what a fast mature star he is - someone ought to remind Brundle. :lol:

The vid is German and shows MS in a different light when he is speaking and playing in his own language.

http://www.tudou.com...ew/RWIIS7Xv1Rk/

The vid shows all the warts including Senna's little 'chat' with him and note Senna's attitude on the podiums in comparison to MS.

Edited by cheapracer, 08 July 2010 - 10:17.

#2890 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:29

Bullshit - Nothing but an opinion supported by nothing.

#2891 baddog

baddog

• 23,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:32

Do please tell me you are not going to describe the Mac of 93 as in any sense comparable to the merc of 10? I mean really? That was a damned fine little racing car (as well as being the prettiest mac ever), as neatly handling as anything on the grid, albeit not in the class of the Williams, but likely the second best car. The traction control package was also superb, making up well for the mediocre engine. Senna was brilliant that year by the way but he didnt have a car with the problems this one has.

#2892 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 655 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:54

Did MGP have simulator?

They have a simulator.

Can be this one of Michael problems of not using simulator.

I highly doubt that. Current F1 simulators are for high level performance work, not low level, deep and complex work they have on track.

All other big teams have very good simulators.

I don't remember Honda/BGP/MGP saying much about their simulator, so we can be pretty sure it's not state of the art F1 simulator.

#2893 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:07

Do please tell me you are not going to describe the Mac of 93 as in any sense comparable to the merc of 10? I mean really? That was a damned fine little racing car (as well as being the prettiest mac ever), as neatly handling as anything on the grid, albeit not in the class of the Williams, but likely the second best car. The traction control package was also superb, making up well for the mediocre engine. Senna was brilliant that year by the way but he didnt have a car with the problems this one has.

If I compare the showing of the second driver in the 1993 Macca (Michael Andretti) to the showing of the second driver in the 2010 Merc (Nico Rosberg), then indeed! I mean, really! :wave:

Fortunately this is not a Schumacher - Senna thread, so don´t worry.

With everything else you say I concur. :)

#2894 baddog

baddog

• 23,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:19

How very insulting to Rosberg that is..

Anyway, that lap at Valencia was a good example of clean aggressive first lap driving, taking full advantage of what was available (and often is available in first laps) without a performance advantage to use to overpower people. I think you would agree with that.

#2895 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:33

Bullshit - Nothing but an opinion supported by nothing.

That too! :rotfl:

#2896 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:14

Niki Lauda: I expected more from Schumacher!
http://www.grandprix...ns/ns22405.html

#2897 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,224 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:52

According to that logic, Markus Winkelhock is the greatest Formula One Driver ever.

In his first Grand Prix he was leading in the RAIN in a lowly Spyker. Now THAT's an awesome demonstration of talent and ability. Forget circumstances - even common sense or logic for a second - the man was leading on his DEBUT in a SPYKER!!!!!!

Right? :rolleyes:

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 08 July 2010 - 16:28.

#2898 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,495 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 16:17

Niki Lauda: I expected more from Schumacher!
http://www.grandprix...ns/ns22405.html

Excellent interview. I thought the same as Lauda (that Schumacher would be on top of Rosberg straight away), I was told not to expect too much because Schumacher was adapting. But I thought that once fast always fast no matter what, and therefore I'm convinced that Schumacher won't come to the top again. The matter seems to be the tires, but the best driver can drive anything faster than the other drivers.

Lauda's interviews are always interesting. He seems to be hard on himself, and I like that. Prost was faster than him, he acknowledged that, and yet still managed to beat him. Intelligent, cold, hard willed fighter. One of my most respected drivers of all time.

Edited by RSNS, 08 July 2010 - 16:18.

#2899 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 17:13

Schumacher just repeating that his focus has already turned to 2011, hope he atleast is determined to get ahead of Rosberg this year.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/85080

Advertisement

#2900 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 17:32

I think what Michael said here, will not change anything. We see that he didn't have chance for WDC. And he said just that, but he would continue to fight. We will see more good moves from him. :)

Edited by ivand911, 08 July 2010 - 17:33.