Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#2901 Imuhcs

Imuhcs

• 22 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 17:38

Schumacher just repeating that his focus has already turned to 2011, hope he atleast is determined to get ahead of Rosberg this year.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/85080

Anybody thinking otherwise, should stop kidding themselfs. This reminds me very much of his first season with Ferrari in a way. That car was so strange looking, and poorly built, it looked and drove like a brick. Still a lot of racing left in this season though, and I wont rule out a podium or a win for that matter.

Advertisement

#2902 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 17:46

Without stupid strategy calls, everything is possible.

#2903 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 17:46

I think what Michael said here, will not change anything. We see that he didn't have chance for WDC. And he said just that, but he would continue to fight. We will see more good moves from him. :)

Good moves?? Come back to earth! He has been making up the numbers this year nothing more. And he has been soundly beaten by a driver nobody really considered to be in the very upper echelons of current GP drivers. How can it take a driver who has a decade and a half of GP experience so long to understand tyres? His days were numbered in 06 and now it is just getting a touch embarrassing. :-)

#2904 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 17:56

You are funny man, for a lot of people like me it is enough he is on the track. Can you get it finally? I am not after WDC, with Michael I see so many wins , I don't remember all. Chances are you will never see so much wins from your favourite driver. Every race with Michael is luck for me. And for much more people. Good result is bonus only. :wave: Thanks for stopping by.

Edited by ivand911, 08 July 2010 - 18:18.

#2905 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 18:47

I am also happy to have him around, knowing that he endeavours to do his best under any circumstances he finds himslef in.

#2906 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 22:08

Lauda's interviews are always interesting. He seems to be hard on himself, and I like that. Prost was faster than him, he acknowledged that, and yet still managed to beat him. Intelligent, cold, hard willed fighter. One of my most respected drivers of all time.

:up:

#2907 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 22:18

Schumacher just repeating that his focus has already turned to 2011...

That's quite unique. I've seen many teams concentrating on next season at various points in the year, which obviously makes sense, resources, man-power, cash and all that.

But what is it supposed to mean for a driver? :lol:

#2908 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,721 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 23:05

But what is it supposed to mean for a driver? :lol:

you wouldn't be able to understand it so why as the question?
maybe the driver is part of the team and he knows his feedback will act on the next car thus he will NOT be impatient with the team understading the focus has switched

but again, you're not here to understand, you post around here just to troll

#2909 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,249 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 23:48

Anybody thinking otherwise, should stop kidding themselfs. This reminds me very much of his first season with Ferrari in a way. That car was so strange looking, and poorly built, it looked and drove like a brick. Still a lot of racing left in this season though, and I wont rule out a podium or a win for that matter.

Yeah, I would agree, except that was a more attacking version and younger of Schumacher.

#2910 DaleCooper

DaleCooper

• 2,512 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:40

you wouldn't be able to understand it so why as the question?
maybe the driver is part of the team and he knows his feedback will act on the next car thus he will NOT be impatient with the team understading the focus has switched

but again, you're not here to understand, you post around here just to troll

He does not troll, his opinion is just different, that is all.

That was a great interview with Niki by the way, I have always appreciated his pragmatic no-nonsense approach to F1. He has made some good points, though the answers (devil) are in the details, to which he is not privy. The fact that Schumacher has not lost his enthusiasm suggests that he knows what needs to be done for him to start performing at his usual high standard. That he told Niki that he has had to completely change his driving style is very telling, and I am sure not something that a 41 year old megastar finds appealing or particularly easy.

Cooper

Edited by DaleCooper, 09 July 2010 - 01:41.

#2911 DaleCooper

DaleCooper

• 2,512 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:13

That opening lap of Schumacher's in Valencia was sensational by the way :up:

The guy will be back, he has all the racecraft in the world, and once he properly adapts to the car or they adapt the car to him sufficiently, he will again be a force to be reckoned with. Until then the loathers will have fun. Enjoy ;)

Cooper

#2912 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,021 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:07

Hope Ross Brawn atleast gets his weight distribution right for 2011.

#2913 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:31

'If Michael Was Sitting In The Red Bull, He Would Immediately Be As He Was Before'

The Mercedes car is the reason for Michael Schumacher's performance struggle in 2010.

That is the belief of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, when assessing the first half of the seven time world champion's return season to F1 this year.

"He has found a much more difficult situation than he would have counted on," the 79-year-old said in an interview with Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"It's not a question of him, but of the car. If Michael was sitting in the Red Bull, he would immediately be as he was before," added the Briton.

Schumacher's teammate Nico Rosberg told the German-language TV Movie: "The car is currently not fast enough.

"There are some things in the development that have not quite gone to plan."

Me agree. :up: About weight distribution I heard will be fixed for 2011(46%-54%)? It is FOTA decision. About Ferrari 1996, it was easily second best car then, with poles and wins. MGP car is somewhere 4-5-6 best car. Small difference.

Edited by ivand911, 09 July 2010 - 06:39.

#2914 Hurricane

Hurricane

• 466 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:23

Funny all the Jacques Haters still exist as he has given MS Kudos since day one and stated that only MS can turn around Mercedes by getting the whole team onside. Jacques and MS even did a promotional car safety promotion while in Canada.
Of all the expected critics of MS, those wanting to increase their historical importance, it has only been Villeneuve and Eccelstone to come to his defense. Yet MS fans of which I have come to appreciate still bash my boy. Puzzles me?
I do know though that Michael respects him beyond a shadow of a doubt and that is the main thing!

#2915 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:23

That Lauda interview is super! Lots of good insight. I've always enjoyed his no BS approach. Respect.

#2916 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:51

Funny all the Jacques Haters still exist as he has given MS Kudos since day one and stated that only MS can turn around Mercedes by getting the whole team onside. Jacques and MS even did a promotional car safety promotion while in Canada.
Of all the expected critics of MS, those wanting to increase their historical importance, it has only been Villeneuve and Eccelstone to come to his defense. Yet MS fans of which I have come to appreciate still bash my boy. Puzzles me?
I do know though that Michael respects him beyond a shadow of a doubt and that is the main thing!

I do not want to rehash history in here, just as I do not want to jump off the cliff with joy as yet, but if JV will continue with this moderation, I would say we are on right track to be friends again.

#2917 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 15:01

Half a season in and still half a second off his teammates pace. What will the excuse be this weekend?

#2918 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 629 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 15:09

Can be this one of Michael problems of not using simulator.

Davidson said today that Schumacher "get's sick" while driving simulator. :p

#2919 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 15:29

People with exceptionally good coordination can indeed get sick in a simulator. Because the simulator is cheating - there is a too big a delay between what you do and what the screen will show you. People with more sensitive senses will notice the delay more easily and become sick of it more easily. Kimi Räikkönen is another driver who becomes sick in a simulator, and he is said to have exceptional coordination. He could be very successful in ball games, for example, because of a very good understanding of space and motion - this is closely related to why he has been called the greatest natural talent by many. It's about his physical capabilities, about ear, eye and brains working together very well. It's a natural thing and you either have it or you don't. I guess it's safe to say both Michael Schumacher and Kimi Räikkönen have it, and I don't think it is a coincidence that both of them get sick in a simulator - their senses are better than the average F1 driver's, and therefore they are more likely to become sick in a simulator because they notice the simulator is cheating, they "feel" it when others don't notice it.

Edited by Anssi, 09 July 2010 - 15:30.

Advertisement

#2920 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 15:44

So M Schumache is sick of cheating? Better late than never I suppose.

#2921 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 15:49

That's a lame joke.

#2922 MCh000

MCh000

• 181 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 15:52

Michael was constantly up to 1/2 second faster on the last long stint than Rosberg in 2 practice. However looking at the fastest lap time, it is maybe third race weekend when he behind Rosberg by 1/2 second. This does look strange.

#2923 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 15:57

It is not strange, full and empty car have different behaviour. When car is full it is more to Michael liking or close to his driving stile? Empty car is easy for Nico to drive. Still good result for the team so far. But will see who is fast in Q3. Where it matters.

Edited by ivand911, 09 July 2010 - 16:02.

#2924 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 15:58

Michael was constantly up to 1/2 second faster on the last long stint than Rosberg in 2 practice. However looking at the fastest lap time, it is maybe third race weekend when he behind Rosberg by 1/2 second. This does look strange.

I think Schumacher might have lost some pure speed but hasn't lost his consistency.

He is still a quick racing driver and being consistent will definately help. Slowly however, I think the pure speed will come back to him as well.

#2925 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 16:10

Strange, Rosberg drove a faster best lap with full car. Also Rosberg drove with soft tyres in his first run while MS on hard tyres.

#2926 MCh000

MCh000

• 181 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 16:22

I just don't get this loss of pure speed. Michael's starts let me think that he didn't loose any racing instincts nor feel for limits of car's capabilities. If he lost pure speed he would be 0.1-0.2 sec slower over lap, that is when they both are as fast visibly and the difference is visible only on time table. Now we have massive half a second and it doesn't look like Michael doesn't reach the limits of the car.

If you remember at the start of the season for two races his pace was very optimistic and then suddenly he lost the speed. Mercedes gave him new chasis and his speed again was on par with Rosberg for maybe two/three races and now starting form Canada he falls back in terms of speed again.

#2927 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 16:27

Damaged chassis again? :drunk:

#2928 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 16:29

I am not sure, they work on a same program, cars are set up alike? Who knows, any difference in set up and everything is possible.

Edited by ivand911, 09 July 2010 - 16:30.

#2929 CSquared

CSquared

• 621 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 17:21

Kimi Räikkönen is another driver who becomes sick in a simulator, and he is said to have exceptional coordination. He could be very successful in ball games, for example, because of a very good understanding of space and motion

I hope you're not implying that "ball games" require more "understanding of space and motion" than racing.

#2930 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 18:04

I'm not implying anything.

Both ball games and motor sports require good understanding of distances and motion. They are similar in that respect. That's what I am saying.

Someone with the natural talent that for example Kimi has, and maybe Michael too, can switch between the sports and be good in both. Because it's about natural physical properties, not about learning something, that I am discussing now.

I understand it so that these people with better natural physical properties to understand distances and motion of objects are in greater danger to suffer from "motion sickness" when placed in a simulator, because the simulation is wrong, and they notice it easier than someone with less sensitive senses.

It does not come as a surprise to me if both Schumacher and Kimi suffer from it. A doctor has commented on Kimi's physical abilities that he has a special sensitiveness to dimensions and motions and balance and that makes him a "natural talent" as has been sometimes heard within F1. It would not be a surprise to me if Michael Schumacher has the same thing.

That natural talent can be used to good effect in ball games, too, hence why I mentioned it. Someone without this natural talent can't compete with these special people, no matter how hard they try, they will stay behind.

Edited by Anssi, 09 July 2010 - 18:10.

#2931 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,307 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 18:25

MS often get out paced by his team mates at Silverstone he does not like the track at all.

#2932 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 18:49

MS often get out paced by his team mates at Silverstone he does not like the track at all.

Same for Rosberg. The last three years he lost to Nakajima two times and also against Wurz in Qualifying.

Edited by rog, 09 July 2010 - 18:50.

#2933 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 19:18

I don't expect MS to out-qualify Nico, but he should finish ahead in the race.

#2934 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 20:08

I don't expect MS to out-qualify Nico, but he should finish ahead in the race.

MS will probably start on softs , pit after 5 laps , get new softs , drive until theres a few laps left and switch to hard tyres.

the team will then be sat around the paddock scratching there heads wondering why he didnt win the race :rotfl:

#2935 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 20:31

Don't give them ideas. Better he start with softs, one change and finish with hards. I want some boring strategy for once, but productive. I am afraid from one thing, team can want Nico to make more points, because he have some chances.

#2936 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 21:47

I just don't get this loss of pure speed. Michael's starts let me think that he didn't loose any racing instincts nor feel for limits of car's capabilities. If he lost pure speed he would be 0.1-0.2 sec slower over lap, that is when they both are as fast visibly and the difference is visible only on time table. Now we have massive half a second and it doesn't look like Michael doesn't reach the limits of the car.

If you remember at the start of the season for two races his pace was very optimistic and then suddenly he lost the speed. Mercedes gave him new chasis and his speed again was on par with Rosberg for maybe two/three races and now starting form Canada he falls back in terms of speed again.

I think the pure speed is gone - for now anyway. I also believe (nee hope) it will return and the vultures will get off his back.

Canada was an anomoly; poor strategy, poor tyres choice, extra stop, puncture etc. It didn't truly reflect Schumacher's pace.

Valencia - he did get the second fastest lap of the race suggesting that he is still very fast and very consistent (unless the team wreck his chances)

It's significantly closer between the two than what the results have led us to believe.

It's also worth factoring that Schumacher has had 4 non points finishes out of 9 races.
if he hasn't lost his pure speed then he's certainly taking longer getting into a rhythm.

#2937 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 21:57

Valencia - he did get the second fastest lap of the race

Due to new tyres - useless

#2938 baddog

baddog

• 23,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 22:04

I thought it was interesting watching first practice (second was too late at night for lazy old me this time) on schumachers onboards that several times he did things that looked like he just wasnt chasing lap times at all.. like on a straght near the end playing with some other settings instead of using the duct for instance.

Edited by baddog, 09 July 2010 - 22:07.

#2939 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:03

I thought it was interesting watching first practice (second was too late at night for lazy old me this time) on schumachers onboards that several times he did things that looked like he just wasnt chasing lap times at all.. like on a straght near the end playing with some other settings instead of using the duct for instance.

More interesting was when his engineer told him not to brake too heavily or for too long while still standing on the gas (a known technique from MS in fast corners) as the engine could switch off. Found that a bit strange.

Advertisement

#2940 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:16

Thats what practice is for, duh, it's not qualifying.

I just don't get this loss of pure speed. Michael's starts let me think that he didn't loose any racing instincts nor feel for limits of car's capabilities.

I don't think he has, I've said before in this forum that some of the next Gen are simply playing on a higher level. I now consider that when MS gets all his act together that he will match their speed not be faster.

Edited by cheapracer, 10 July 2010 - 07:20.

#2941 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:23

More interesting was when his engineer told him not to brake too heavily or for too long while still standing on the gas (a known technique from MS in fast corners) as the engine could switch off. Found that a bit strange.

Not strange, very little reciprocating weight in a F1 engine, the slightest lockup can stall the engine and lock the rear wheels.

#2942 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:51

Not strange, very little reciprocating weight in a F1 engine, the slightest lockup can stall the engine and lock the rear wheels.

I found it strange that they have to discuss this halfway into the season in FP. If I'm not mistaken MS does it all the time, they ought to have that settled long ago, either by MS adjusting his driving or by adjusting the engine management to his driving style, or both.

#2943 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:35

Hope, Michael will find time in last sector. He is losing time there. 0,3-0,4s

#2944 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:10

No other driver has such difficulties with the final two turns as he has. Not good.

#2945 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:22

He improve a little bit. Will be very tough Qualy. Q3 will be success.

#2946 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:28

At the Brooklands corner he is one of the few drivers who avoids the entire kerb there, I don´t know why as they are not huge and I can´t imagine it´s fast

Edited by Urawa, 10 July 2010 - 10:29.

#2947 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:28

No matter how much MS's seasons goes up and down, this car which mercedes haven't had confidence in translating upgrades and tyre performance from design to gp weekends, they've lost something in the understanding process, 'we've seen fast practice times from Nico in other races then tyre problems in the races, so something is wrong with this team, and ideally how can a returning MS really get on with it coming late into a team in Christmas who really have not been prepared and have surprised themselfs with these issues. Lack of testing is a problem for all, but Redbull and Mclaren have handled it better, and both have had at least 1 driver who's been around for more then one season, I don't think mercedes is set up to gain from these rules like redbull/mclaren have/even ferrari look like their throwing things on the car in confusion, without testing, simulation is different.

For MS to understand a car which the team don't get fully, and then to try and impose his classic oversteer driving style on it, it's just too many technical things from the inside, and I hope they can work on it for 2011, because we've seen speed from MS, but in terms of set up options and extracting that speed, MS I think is in hte most difficult situation with a car that the team don't fully get, now if MS can pop in a redbull or a mclaren like Bernie said, I'm sure the old Michael would be there, but for this season it seems his set up options are limited on this car, it's plaine to see, he'll be fast on certain tracks, but the way he's driving and using hard tyres instead of soft, it's clearly a issue that his style probably is having a tough time, so I kinda expect unusual times in practice and odd gps with different plans. He is having to compensate and drive differently and utimately I do expect him to struggle on certain tracks and different things until he and the team sort it out for 2011. Michael and Brawn haven't really gone into detail regarding the technical side of things, and in the future I expect more to be discussed regarding the issues MS had in 2010, because we can't fully understand it until they speak about it.

I think the pure speed is gone - for now anyway. I also believe (nee hope) it will return and the vultures will get off his back.

Canada was an anomoly; poor strategy, poor tyres choice, extra stop, puncture etc. It didn't truly reflect Schumacher's pace.

Valencia - he did get the second fastest lap of the race suggesting that he is still very fast and very consistent (unless the team wreck his chances)

It's significantly closer between the two than what the results have led us to believe.

:up:

Michaels pace in Valencia and the qualifying issues compared to his qualifying times, why a struggle in quali, then so fast in the race, so again, looking at the team, they are behind in the tyre understanding, had Michael been driving a redbull/mclaren who clearly seem to have consistent tyre performance over 2 days, I'm sure he would be alright.

2 problems
Mercedes not getting on top of it's tyre understanding-MS hard tyre season why, not using softs often? Wil next season with different rubber create different car all together

MS trying to set up a car to his liking which already is confusing to the team even before he implies a set up change-not good, very difficult technicals season for MS, even if it wasn't his come back, the combination of the rules, mercedes lack of unserstanding, I think a younger MS would still struggle with what he has to play with this season, remember he's driven in alot of f1 seasons, but his testing and efforts behind the scenes this year at mercedes, he's hampered more so then he would expected to have been.

Edited by SeanValen, 10 July 2010 - 10:43.

#2948 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:35

No matter how much MS's seasons goes up and down, this car which mercedes haven't had confidence in translating upgrades and tyre performance from design to gp weekends, they've lost something in the understanding process, 'we've seen fast practice times from Nico in other races then tyre problems in the races, so something is wrong with this team, and ideally how can a returning MS really get on with it coming late into a team in Christmas who really have not been prepared and have surprised themselfs with these issues. Lack of testing is a problem for all, but Redbull and Mclaren have handled it better, and both have had at least 1 driver who's been around for more then one season, I don't think mercedes is set up to gain from these rules like redbull/mclaren have/even ferrari look like their throwing things on the car in confusion, without testing, simulation is different.

For MS to understand a car which the team don't get fully, and then to try and impose his classic oversteer driving style on it, it's just too many technical things from the inside, and I hope they can work on it for 2011, because we've seen speed from MS, but in terms of set up options and extracting that speed, MS I think is in hte most difficult situation with a car that the team don't fully get, now if MS can pop in a redbull or a mclaren like Bernie said, I'm sure the old Michael would be there, but for this season it seems his set up options are limited on this car, it's plaine to see, he'll be fast on certain tracks, but the way he's driving and using hard tyres instead of soft, it's clearly a issue that his style probably is having a tough time, so I kinda expect unusual times in practice and odd gps with different plans.

Sean,

I'll give you this, you are a die hard fan and looking at the glass half ful

Rosberg is also new to the team and the car and understands it enough to be consistently faster than MS. TO say if MS found his way into the best car on the grid and "then you would see what he is made of" is a bit silly. You could say that about half the drivers on the grid. It seems that if Rosberg found his way into the Redbull, he might be faster still and you would see what he was made of.

I really don't rate Rosberg that highly as he was not that quick compared to Webber. I think MS would have a harder time against Vettel or Webber had he the opportunity in a Redbull.

#2949 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:49

Sean,

I'll give you this, you are a die hard fan and looking at the glass half ful

Rosberg is also new to the team and the car and understands it enough to be consistently faster than MS. TO say if MS found his way into the best car on the grid and "then you would see what he is made of" is a bit silly. You could say that about half the drivers on the grid. It seems that if Rosberg found his way into the Redbull, he might be faster still and you would see what he was made of.

I really don't rate Rosberg that highly as he was not that quick compared to Webber. I think MS would have a harder time against Vettel or Webber had he the opportunity in a Redbull.

Die hard fan of anything doesn't overide commonsense.
In the end, we know nothing, MS and Brawn are smart guys, MS has a 3 year contract, and he has a habbit of making people look like idiots, so come back with your opinions after his next retirement and we'll see how 2010 panned out in his full mercedes career which hasn't gotten off to a good start, but present and past performance is no indication of future success, had MS set his valancia fastest laps in the first 3 races and in china no one would of said anything, the signs are there, the team isn't together. And Rosberg hasn't won a race in his career, Trulli looked good in 2004, HHF in 1999, Rosberg can't be judged at this early stage either, I'm a long term thinker, in f1 where webber has been written off, along with Button, who have won ttitles and races and resurrected their profiles, it would be silly to jump to conclusions on MS, it's smart to wait out, rather then rush in talking about a team and a driver that hasn't told us much about their issues, who are we compared to Ross Brawn and MS.

Edited by SeanValen, 10 July 2010 - 10:52.

#2950 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:56

I believe hes keeping the throttle on to feed the exhaust blown diffuser then obviously having to use the brakes a lot to stop the car flying off the track