Rally Mexico 2010

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Louis Siefert

Louis Siefert

• 266 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 20:05

http://jalopnik.com/...0k-rally-racers

"Professional motorsport is a cold, hard place. If you want to run with the big dogs, you can't just build a car in your mom's garage and show up, right? Wrong. One guy did just that. Here's his amazing story.........

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 20:29

hahahahahahaha wtf. that is ****ing awesome.

#3 alfista

alfista

• 1,015 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 21:41

"Professional motorsport is a cold, hard place. If you want to run with the big dogs, you can't just build a car in your mom's garage and show up, right? Wrong. One guy did just that. Here's his amazing story.........

WOW! It seems far too crazy to be true...

#4 Marbles

Marbles

• 550 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 00:32

Thank you for posting that, it really made my evening. :rotfl:

#5 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 00:41

:lol: Brilliant.

#6 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:34

Unbelievable!

Awesome story! :up:

#7 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:43

Woah :rotfl: :up:

#8 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:49

That's what I have been saying that should happen to F1. Instead of restricting testing and research, allow selling of cars such that smaller and new teams can buy used F1 cars cheaply.

Force India was good last year with the rear end build by Mclaren. And Torro Rosso had a good season with Vettel and Bourdais. :wave:

So it can work. Ferrari won a few races and took pole with a 1 year old car untill the F2003GA was ready. Mclaren also won races with a 1 year old Mclaren because the new car wasn't even finished :drunk:

#9 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:58

This is what I grew up with and competed in (the spirit) for years - 'EFF the FIA and what they have done to rallying and most of motorsport.

Mods should consider a sticky for this even if only for a few days to remind people of what once was and should be again.

Edited by cheapracer, 23 March 2010 - 10:02.

#10 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:21

This is what I grew up with and competed in (the spirit) for years - 'EFF the FIA and what they have done to rallying and most of motorsport.

Mods should consider a sticky for this even if only for a few days to remind people of what once was and should be again.

Sticky with a more dramatic thread title, yes.

#11 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:32

I was sent this awesome story from a friend, about a man who buys a 23year old BMW learns how to trun it into a rally car and enters it into the WRC rally mexico.

I once asked Bill why he insisted on going through every spectator section crossed up and with the engine banging off the limiter. "Dude," he said, "I don't care if it costs me a couple of tenths. It makes the fans go nuts."

Rallying needs more of that kind of attitude. Rallying needs more people like Bill. Here's his WRC Mexico story:

#12 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:51

Bill Caswell is my new hero.............

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 13:00

That is absolutely brilliant.

#14 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 16:30

Everybody on this forum needs to know about this, I'm intrigued as to what specific group he was in and who he was actually racing

#15 Cosworth-Daz

Cosworth-Daz

• 58 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 00:16

anyone know the loophole in what allowed him to race this? i would like to know a little more about this

#16 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:17

Funny that he guy is not listed either in WRC.com or FIA.com. Those are the official sites, right?

#17 evo

evo

• 431 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:44

The article states that Bill entered the car as an entrant of Mexico's "Rally America" series, not affiliated with USA's Rally America series. Being in Mexico I guess that somehow the FIA enabled Rally America cars to participate in its own class alongside WRC cars.

#18 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:05

Looks like an hoax to me. May be there was such a guy who took his car to the rally and parked it near the control areas, but nothing confirms the title "How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers".

Of course that would be cool but it just seems it never happened. The only good news is that it's not about the pathetic state of formula one, so let's keep dreaming. Or perhaps I'll watch something else, like our local banger racing series or watch some old videos.

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:36

Funny that he guy is not listed either in WRC.com or FIA.com. Those are the official sites, right?

http://www.rallymexi....php?page=rally America

He is listed in the results under the Rally America class.

Advertisement

#20 alfista

alfista

• 1,015 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:09

http://www.rallymexi....php?page=rally America

He is listed in the results under the Rally America class.

Results after SS22
Although he is not 3rd but 4th here, he lost 3rd because of penalties.
That loophole in the regulations is perhaps be somehow related to the "Open" class.

#21 evo

evo

• 431 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:09

Looks like an hoax to me. May be there was such a guy who took his car to the rally and parked it near the control areas, but nothing confirms the title "How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers".

Of course that would be cool but it just seems it never happened. The only good news is that it's not about the pathetic state of formula one, so let's keep dreaming. Or perhaps I'll watch something else, like our local banger racing series or watch some old videos.

You'd understand it isn't a hoax if you kept reading and not skim through the article. There are pictures on the website that shows him and the car competing and on the makeshift car podium.

In relation to the title, it IS somewhat misleading as obviously his BMW does not have nearly enough pace to challenge the likes of Loeb, but in terms of finishing position he did indeed beat some of the more expensive cars, even if it was due to retirements eg. Block/Raikkonen.

#22 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 16:53

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

There's a perfectly acceptable reason for this though, as Jeremy Renner (er, who?) is set to produce and star in a film on Bill Caswell's rally antics: http://www.hollywood...lingshot-197019

#23 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 17:00

He was the main guy in the Hurt Locker.

It's a nice/amusing story, but I'm not sure how they're going to turn it into a movie. He finished 3rd in his special class, he wasn't at all competitive in the overall, so where's the giant killing plot?

#24 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 17:15

The only way this would really work is if they go down the Cool Runnings route: overachieving underdog in a heart-warming story.

Love how that Hollywood Reporter story makes out like he finished on the podium alongside the likes of Loeb and Solberg.