Marcellino Lucchi's Day (Mugello 1998)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LucaP

LucaP

• 1,478 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 15:13

Hi everyone

I'm looking for memories of Marcellino Lucchi's win in the 250 class at Mugello Circuit, in 1998.

I was too young back then and everything I know is:

It was one of the last times a wild card won a Gp

Lucchi won at the age of 41

He won on aggregate times after the race was split in two parts; before and after a violent storm.

I don't t know anything else, for example how the race developed, etc...

thanks

Advertisement

#2 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 13:23

Hi Luca, I remember him winning though not the details, he was on a full factory Aprilia though I know that.
If your on Facebook you can add him as a friend and ask him yourself? :wave:

#3 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 20:59

Motocourse for 1998 says that his day job at the time was as a dust-cart driver, but he was the official Aprilia factory test rider for a number of years, and that late in his career was usually entered only for Italian races, and at a few other European venues. It says here that Lucchi was leading after the first few laps when the race was stopped because of rain. He changed tyres in the break and then followed Harada to the end to earn the win - it seems to be saying that the track had almost dried out by the time of the restart.

Lucchi was often fast when he made his rare 250cc GP appearances. He qualified second in Italy 1995, second or third three times in 1996, was on pole in Italy in 1997, second or third four times in 1998, had another pole in Italy 2000, and started second twice in 2001. He actually did a half season in 1999, and again was on pole in Italy. His wildcard results included fifth (Italy 1994), third (Italy 1995), second (Italy 1996) and also fifth and sixth that year, second (Italy 1997) and sixth (San Marino), a third and a fifth in 1998 (plus victory). He ran second in Italy 2000 but crashed, and had a fourth in 2001 when he was 44.

#4 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:00

Toby & Jules were hoping he would have been wheeled out by Aprilia for the last 250 race at the end of last season. Sadly not. You get the impression from what Julian Ryder does'nt say about the man that there are a great many unpublishable stories about this 'character'. For me I love the fact he was a binman whilst riding in World Championship GP's...