* * * - - 7 votes

New Jersey GP? [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1221 replies to this topic

#701 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 20:54

Goodness knows, I would. But I personally suspect, a large percentage of those people, particularly the ones in the single family homes along JFK Blvd, who have lived there for many years, will see this whole thing as the single most distasteful, disruptive, repulsive event in their lives, since 9/11.

If that's the case, they're idiots. The real estate market is non-existent in the U.S. now, and it's going to get worse. By the looks of the surrounding area, it would be idiotic to turn down the chance for 100,000 people to bring in tax revenue.

For those that absolutely hate it: they can stay at a relative's for the week and rent their place out. A free house payment. I can't imagine any American short of the 1% that would want that deal. They could race farting rhinos in my front yard for a week if it meant being able to pay the Citicorp vampires their monthly blood.

There's a *lot* of empty looking condos around there, I'd much rather sleep on an inflatable mattress in one of those than a Motel 6 - and I'm pretty sure the people stuck with those probably are hoping they can hang on long enough to see this happen. Or at least the banks that probably own the lot; there's a lot of "assets" being held these days that are just empty buildings.

The place has character, love the concrete walls, the view, the run along the cliff, ACTUAL TREES, *turns that happened naturally and were not "designed" by Tilke*, etc. etc.

Advertisement

#702 chivdog

chivdog

• 69 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:21

you must like to have sex on computer more than with real person, for sure, he?

Nope. Can do that everyday. "Driving" a Mclaren F1 car whilst wearing a LH helmet on a track that doesn't yet exist is, unfortunately, a touch more difficult to do in real life. ;)

#703 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 424 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:14

Uhmmm, yes, Hudson Place seems like the IDEAL Formula 1 straight! :rotfl:
Posted Image

Oh yeah, let's go with THAT! Someone pay Charlie off. I want the cars on the curbs left too. There won't be any passing as usual so you might as well make it interesting somehow :lol:

#704 jason1989

jason1989

• 44 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:34

What race will be dropped for this race?

#705 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:40

Nope. Can do that everyday. "Driving" a Mclaren F1 car whilst wearing a LH helmet on a track that doesn't yet exist is, unfortunately, a touch more difficult to do in real life.;)

;)

how many Naomi and Flav's do we have also, he? I kinda like the Computer thing, but never felt gravity which put me off the steering every time I try.

#706 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,422 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:52

What race will be dropped for this race?

Valencia most likely.

#707 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,767 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:06

Valencia most likely.

Or Bahrain. I believe it's contract runs out before 2013.

Joe Saward has an interesting overview of which race deals run out when.

#708 bonneville

bonneville

• 345 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:11

Or Bahrain. I believe it's contract runs out before 2013.

Joe Saward has an interesting overview of which race deals run out when.

Bahrain runs out after 2013...

Check also based on Saward's post, I did this table for another thread...

OK. Let's recap following Sawards blog post:

Albert Park, Melbourne							  Annual race until 2015
Sepang International Circuit						Annual race until 2015
Shanghai International Circuit					  Annual race until 2017
Bahrain International Circuit					   Annual race until 2013 
Catalunya, Barcelona								Annual race until 2016
Circuit de Monaco								   Annual race until 2020
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal				 Annual race until 2014
Port Imperial Street Circuit						Annual race until from 2013 to 2022
Valencia Street Circuit							 Annual race until 2014
Silverstone										 Annual race until 2027
Hockenheimring									  Alternate 2012-2014-2016-2018
Nurburgring										 Alternate 2013-2015-2017
Hungaroring										 Annual race until 2016
Sochi Olympic Park								  Annual race from2014 to 2020
Spa-Francorchamps								   Alternate with France 2012-2014-2016-2018-2020-2022 (unconfirmed)
Paul Ricard										 Alternate with Spa 2013-2015-2017-2019-2021 (unconfirmed)
Monza											   Annual race until 2016
Singapore Marina Bay Street Circuit				 Annual race until 2014
Suzuka											  Final race in 2012 (contract renewal expected)
South Korea Korean International Circuit, Yeongam   Annual race until 2017 (option to 2022)
Buddh International Circuit						 Annual race until 2020
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi					   Annual race until 2016
Circuit of the Americas, Austin					 Annual race until 2021
Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo			   Annual race until 2015

This means we have 20 races contracted for 2012, 20 races contracted for 2013 (after we lose Suzuka but we gain Port Imperial), and 20 races contracted for 2014 (after we lose Bahrain but we gain Sochi)... The problem is we cannot lose Suzuka... I can't imagine they will not renew their contract at the end of 2012. But since Bernie promised no more than 20 races would be on the calendar, it means there are some goner. So will Bahrain make room at the end of 2012 (after another cancellation) and Valencia pack at the end of 2013 ??? Or is South Korea going to cancel its contract? Whatever it is, two tracks need to make room if we want to keep Suzuka...

#709 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,767 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:20

Bahrain runs out after 2013...

Check also based on Saward's post, I did this table for another thread...

Cool. I made a similar list but with bars in Excel. Hard to post on this forum, though. ;)

#710 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,216 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 18:10

Construction has begun at America’s next failed F1 circuit

Jp

#711 August

August

• 2,083 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 18:14

Construction has begun at America’s next failed F1 circuit

Jp

:lol:

#712 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:32

Anyone see the feature on the NJ grand prix on sky sports news this morning? Some artists impressions and discribing how the circuit will be wider than most street circuits

#713 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 19:22

For those that absolutely hate it: they can stay at a relative's for the week and rent their place out. A free house payment. I can't imagine any American short of the 1% that would want that deal.

Lol. Some of these people may have things like "jobs" that prevent them from picking up and leaving any time they like. They wouldn't want to waste their precious small amounts of PTO on escaping their own homes.

We don't get much time off here.

#714 MP422

MP422

• 1,811 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 20:21

Can't wait... I now live so close to a F1 race and now it's a street circuit !!! I hope it can survive !!!

#715 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,216 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 15:52

Ex-motorsport marketing man Tom Cotter has been assigned to the project
Cotter, a New York native, began working at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 1985 as the director of public relations for track president “Humpy” Wheeler. Four years later, Cotter founded The Cotter Group, which pioneered motorsports public-relations. The firm, which began with two employees, had more than 70 in 2000 when he sold it to Clear Channel Communications.

Since then, Cotter has worked with a variety of charitable causes--he was co-chairman of the Amelia Island Concours--and as a writer, authoring nine books including the popular In The Barn series--fittingly about dust-covered classic cars and motorcycles Cotter and others have found languishing in barns. His most recent book was a biography on drag racer/actor “TV” Tommy Ivo, and he has another book coming soon about professional musicians who have a passion for cars. He is also a contributing editor for Road & Track magazine.

Cotter told Autoweek he was not looking for a job when his old boss, mentor and friend Wheeler called. But Wheeler is a consultant to the F1 project and its promoter and director, Leo Hindery Jr., a New York City communications executive and former racer. Hindery's wife is Speed TV executive Patti Wheeler, “Humpy”'s daughter.

“‘This is your time,' Humpy told me,” Cotter said. “Only a world-class opportunity like this could divert me from my bucket list. The chance to make racing history doesn't come along often.”

http://www.autoweek....1#ixzz1jjQPNMhf

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 17 January 2012 - 15:58.

#716 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 581 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:32

Where to begin...
First , as an american, I'm happy that the " pinnacle" is returning to the U.S.A.
I was at the inaugural USGP in Indy 2000. Sent my money in for tix the first day. It was the only year I attended since none of my buds really liked F1 and didn't wanna pay $85 a ticket. That was disappointing to me but, oh well. At least I got to see and hear the most powerful single seaters on the planet. And after 2005 fiasco it cemented the point home.
Then came the stillbirth USGP effort, which only galvanized the fact what the rest of the world already knew. F1 was dead in America. As, what i think of myself, a pretty big F1 fan it WAS EMBARRASSING!! All the hype, all the BS, all for not.
And then..news of a track that had some of the mystic of the great circuits of Europe. Elevation changes, swooping and flowing corners. A purpose built f1 course here in Yankville. Awesome. And most of all had backing and blessing from Eccelstone. So i thought great but, don't get your hopes too high. This is F1 after all, in America. Bernie hates us. Europe hates us. Hell EVERYBODY hates us. The bottom will dropout somehow...After much debate and politcal BS it looks like COTA is going to happen...Maybe. I've seen the pictures, videos, live cam, etc so it looks good.But I'm no fool. Until i see friday practice race weekend only then WILL I BELIEVE. :)
Now BE wants a track with NYC as the backdrop and an airport that flys to South America for the race in Brazil. Both decent ideas but, now we'll have 2 races a year here. Probably dropping Montreal in the process which blows because Canadians support that race the way we should. And maybe even lose some of the classics. AND maybe with races in Russia, Argentina. Mexico. How can this be justified? The almighty dollar? I for one am pissed at the never ending greed of Bernie. First you can live without us, then you want two races here? 20 races a year is a good round number. Let's see how Austin does before committing emotionally,spiritually, and most of all financially. I just moved back to the midwest and won't go to either race so Bernie really doesn't care what i think.
OK rant over..must.. inhale.. now....
ISOT

#717 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,767 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:45

... didn't wanna pay $85 a ticket...

What? Do you realise what you're saying? At tracks like Spa or Monza you pay triple that for a grandstand seat.

#718 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,443 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 14:37

What? Do you realise what you're saying? At tracks like Spa or Monza you pay triple that for a grandstand seat.

We're not that gullible.

#719 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 581 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 21:14

I'm not talking about me. I paid the $170.00 for both tix and had to bribe a friend with a tix to drive from Cincy to Indy.
My point being, here in lamecar country, my friends wouldn't pay the $85 tix price. AND ME an F1 fan wouldn't do that again. That's all. :)

Advertisement

#720 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,032 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 21:50

I drove through Port Imperial for the first time since the announcement. That really is a genius place to have an F1 track. The elevation changes can be really extreme, so much so that I had to drive with my left foot on the brake in stop and go traffic, or I'd be rolling back violently from a stop. It's fun enough to drive in your own car, and there is plenty of stuff to look at. Unfortunately, it's also a pretty dangerous place to drive on, so I couldn't really look around too much. You would have to work hard to **** up that circuit, though it's definitely within F1's ability to do so.

#721 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 22:15

FIA rules and driver moaning will butcher this circuit, still it should look visually better than the blackness of Singapore and the ultra grey of Valencia. At least I'm hoping, don't underestimate modern F1's ability to totally ruin the character of any city it tries to hold a race in. Giant grey walls and such.

#722 BRG

BRG

• 11,519 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 13:09

Not a lot of news about this project. Down in Austin, things seem to be falling apart, so perhaps no news is good news. Haven't we got an equivalent member to AustinF1 (who has been doing wonders supplying us with updates and photos of COTA) in the NY/NJ region who can keep us informed? I can't believe that there isn't plenty of local wrangling going on about having a GP in Hoboken.

#723 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 13:20

Not a lot of news about this project. Down in Austin, things seem to be falling apart, so perhaps no news is good news. Haven't we got an equivalent member to AustinF1 (who has been doing wonders supplying us with updates and photos of COTA) in the NY/NJ region who can keep us informed? I can't believe that there isn't plenty of local wrangling going on about having a GP in Hoboken.

New Jersey is to New York what Croydon is to London.

#724 BRG

BRG

• 11,519 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 13:33

I realise that - I've been to all four places (Croydon just yesterday, although I didn't see Lewis there). But even NJ must have some sort of local media? Croydon doesn't of course, but only because anyone there who can read moves to Thornton Heath.

#725 APR824

APR824

• 43 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 19:13

So Lewis won't be showing up then?

#726 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,736 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 19:43

Someone who lives in the area said the pit area and garages are still being built and he hasn't heard any bad news about it.

#727 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,883 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 19:48

I live on the east side of manhattan , just about parallel to where the track will be in jersey. there has been no local news beyond the original press conference to announce it.
haven't been over to see the site. still more than a year off. I can't wait for the complaints to come about how loud the cars will be! lol

#728 mistercarguy

mistercarguy

• 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 23:58

I live on the east side of manhattan , just about parallel to where the track will be in jersey. there has been no local news beyond the original press conference to announce it.
haven't been over to see the site. still more than a year off. I can't wait for the complaints to come about how loud the cars will be! lol

I went over to see what's going on last week. The paddock / garages are 70% built (my estimate). The construction guy I spoke to said that there will be a "hotel" on top of the garages. I take that to mean "high roller suites" like they had above the garages at Indy.

I then drove the 3 plus mile course (at slow speed due to traffic) and it was really cool. Over 100 feet of elevation change, three places where I think passing COULD happen and a stretch with 200 MPH / 325 KPH easily possible.

Lots of public transportation available (bus, ferry, train) too. Should be easier to get in and out than if it was actually held in NYC.

I can't wait - see you there?

#729 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,883 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:16

I went over to see what's going on last week. The paddock / garages are 70% built (my estimate). The construction guy I spoke to said that there will be a "hotel" on top of the garages. I take that to mean "high roller suites" like they had above the garages at Indy.

I then drove the 3 plus mile course (at slow speed due to traffic) and it was really cool. Over 100 feet of elevation change, three places where I think passing COULD happen and a stretch with 200 MPH / 325 KPH easily possible.

Lots of public transportation available (bus, ferry, train) too. Should be easier to get in and out than if it was actually held in NYC.

how about the tarmac? it can't be up to the standards necessary. they'll have to pave it for sure.

#730 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,736 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:28

Wasn't directed at me but my brother lives in North Bergen and I plan on crashing there for the weekend. That's really close to the proposed track isn't it?

#731 mistercarguy

mistercarguy

• 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:36

Wasn't directed at me but my brother lives in North Bergen and I plan on crashing there for the weekend. That's really close to the proposed track isn't it?

North Bergen is very close. You could probably walk to the track. The people who own houses along Blvd. East will make a ton of money selling seats on their front porches - they will be as close as you can get - may be the very best access available.

#732 mistercarguy

mistercarguy

• 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:40

how about the tarmac? it can't be up to the standards necessary. they'll have to pave it for sure.

I have heard that track-design company Tilke (spelling?) is doing an analysis of the current public road surface and will specify how the track will be repaved prior to the event. This is the North East with lots of salt used to clear snow and ice. I suspect that they will time the repaving so that it doesn't get used up too badly before the very first event.

After the repaving is done, you know the buzz to get tickets will be amazing.

#733 mistercarguy

mistercarguy

• 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 14:45

Friends in the local SCCA told me last Sunday that they have already been contacted to get ready for the event. One region honcho said, "We're going!"

I think the reason that the folks who are running the event are keeping a low profile is because they do not have a web site built AND they don't have ticket prices set. I expect a lot of information to come out around the one-year-to-go mark. Already I'm hearing that we can expect rock concerts, auto auctions, gala parties and who knows what else. (I grew up in the area and have friends in politics in West New York and Weehawken - these are the two main towns the race roads will be run on.)

As for noise - You know that's going to happen, especially if there are little kids asleep near by.

#734 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:24

http://www.autoweek....06/F1/120409875?

#735 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:14

NJ street circuit lap

Pretty cool video showing the lap the cars with be doing next year.

#736 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:36

Let's be honest it promises to be a monumental snoozefest ala Valencia, Monaco, St. Petersburg.

#737 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:41

Let's be honest it promises to be a monumental snoozefest ala Valencia, Monaco, St. Petersburg.

Looks that way I'm not even sure where they could put the drs zone.

#738 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:42

Great. This is going to be a proper street circuit. Can't wait!

Could have done without the F1 show guys in the video, but I did laugh at the Karthikeyan bus bit.

#739 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:52

Looks that way I'm not even sure where they could put the drs zone.

You have 2 long and wide straights and 2 hard braking zones. Looks like two overtaking opportunities. You can put the DRS on one of the straights.

The scenery, elevation change and overtaking zones will set that track apart from the recent snoozefest like Singapore, Valencia.

Advertisement

#740 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:17

That looks really bumpy and narrow in places! I think it will be more Singapore than Valencia, either way overtaking won't be easy but at least it will be more of a challenge to the drivers than Valencia is. Also, the trackside sewage plant is a new feature.

#741 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,216 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:34

..the trackside sewage plant is a new feature.

Every circuit needs an appropriate landmark that conveys its local favour at the event.
This one is perfect.

Jp

#742 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:59

You have 2 long and wide straights and 2 hard braking zones. Looks like two overtaking opportunities. You can put the DRS on one of the straights.

The scenery, elevation change and overtaking zones will set that track apart from the recent snoozefest like Singapore, Valencia.

Remove 'New Jersey' and input 'India'.

From one snoozefest to another.

#743 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,935 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 14:10

I think it says as much about the cars as it does the tracks that the racing can be described as a snoozefest.

#744 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 14:19

I'd trade two thirds of the calendar for other races at Monaco if I could.

#745 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 14:39

The track was placed on the existing roads, which was never designed for Formula One Racing. This could be good or bad, I could say after looking at the puopose made Formula One track failing to deliver the racing that we expect it to. The video says itself, huge unknown factors as the base of show. Tricky hill climbing section in terms of widt and safety. Well see, no oneis to be blamed if a car or two falles off the track. Rough ride? I donno,... perhaps not.

#746 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 14:52

Remove 'New Jersey' and input 'India'.

From one snoozefest to another.

India is one of the worst looking GP in the calendar. What are you talking about?

And India's elevation change is nothing very exciting either.

How can you write it off 14 months ahead of time? Recent tracks have been snoozefests despite looking good on paper so I get where you're coming from.

Edited by slmk, 11 April 2012 - 14:54.

#747 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,435 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 15:03

I wouldn't say Monaco was a snoozefest last year - an unlucky red flag robbed us of a grandstand finish.

#748 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 15:05

I wouldn't say Monaco was a snoozefest last year - an unlucky red flag robbed us of a grandstand finish.

Nothing would have happened. They were too evenly matched on pace.

#749 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 16:23

Great. This is going to be a proper street circuit. Can't wait!

Could have done without the F1 show guys in the video, but I did laugh at the Karthikeyan bus bit.

Ouch that their first instinct for that joke was to go with Massa.

#750 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 16:31

Ouch that their first instinct for that joke was to go with Massa.

Oh is that what he said? He pronounced it Marsa so I didn't understand.