* * * - - 7 votes

New Jersey GP? [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1221 replies to this topic

#751 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,169 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 00:17

There is also a lot of traffic and parked cars and very vlose to apartment buildings so i wouldn't be surprised if locals protest, also i think the speedhumps could enhance the racing ;)

Advertisement

#752 BRG

BRG

• 11,833 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:16

So what's this all about?. Of course, we expect Bernie to start undermining new events as soon as they have paid up, but there is usually something behind it.

#753 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:20

I thought he was the co-promoter on this one.

#754 BRG

BRG

• 11,833 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:31

I thought he was the co-promoter on this one.

Such considerations have rarely stopped Bernie from mouthing off in the past! It could be smokescreening for Bahrain, but the silence from New Jersey (compared to the almost excessive amounts of information coming from Austin) seems strange to me. It seems almost, well, un-American!

#755 scdecade

scdecade

• 632 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:47

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#756 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,643 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:01

Bernie's not wrong...
What DOES that look like?
ACME demolition your next project is calling..

Jp

#757 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:21

Let's watch from the balcony top right.

#758 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,643 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:36

no...
Over the hill, old house, red and white.
Jp

#759 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:39

There's an Exxon station on the outside of the chicane, I wonder how much they'll charge them for appearing in the background.

Advertisement

#760 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,372 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:56

Did anyone else completely forget about this one...?

#761 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 284 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 00:00

Did anyone else completely forget about this one...?

I did :|

#762 FW09

FW09

• 318 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 00:13

http://sphotos.xx.fb...872858274_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak...789663495_o.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak...330206462_o.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak...933574211_o.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak...789784306_o.jpg

Thanks for the photos! The place looks already very nice. :)

I don't see any problems. They still have 14 months to finish that pit building and the track.

#763 BRG

BRG

• 11,833 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:23

I don't see any problems. They still have 14 months to finish that pit building and the track.

So what was Bernie on about in suggesting that it might slip to 2014?

#764 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:04

The story is even more weird once you read it. It's just a random Bernie quote that the race might be pushed back a year. It just...appears. I don't know what he was asked, why, etc. Though from the rest of the piece I assume a general upcoming-schedule chat.

#765 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:15

India is one of the worst looking GP in the calendar. What are you talking about?

India looks like numerous other identikit tracks. It also looks a million mile better than Korea.

And India's elevation change is nothing very exciting either.

Very few of the corners on the India track dont have some sort of elevation change.

How can you write it off 14 months ahead of time? Recent tracks have been snoozefests despite looking good on paper so I get where you're coming from.

Because its a street circuit and there hasnt been a genuinely great F1 race at Monaco or Valencia in an age. People romanticize last season at Monaco believing that it wouldve ended as anything but a procession. Pirelli confirmed Vettel's tyres wouldve lasted until the end.

#766 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:21

Monaco is my favorite, not only because it is beatiful but also beause it creates drama all the time. I certainly do not know if NewJ will be the same level, but Monaco is great.

#767 Red17

Red17

• 3,435 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:32

There's an Exxon station on the outside of the chicane, I wonder how much they'll charge them for appearing in the background.

Add one giant blocking sponsor sign=problem solved. That or Mobil pays for a revamp of the station and a small fee for Bernie to let it show.

#768 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,941 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 13:05

Monaco is my favorite, not only because it is beatiful but also beause it creates drama all the time. I certainly do not know if NewJ will be the same level, but Monaco is great.

To be fair, a lot of recent Monaco races haven't had a great deal of drama IMO.

Last year did because of the various things happening with Hamilton etc but 2010 and 2009 were hardly memorable.

#769 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 13:17

To be fair, a lot of recent Monaco races haven't had a great deal of drama IMO.

Last year did because of the various things happening with Hamilton etc but 2010 and 2009 were hardly memorable.

This is true, I can agree, it is fair to say that Monaco, or anyother track had enjoyed continuous rough and classic races. Perhaps with exception of Jose Carlos Pace for the last years. But When it happens, Monaco is ont of the track which creates chaos with no DRS! Still remember when Salo got intopoints with Barnards' Arrows, that was wonder. The cars was looking great shame it never had a powerful engine on its back.

Abour NewJ, I am still waiting for the whole picture to come up on the web.

#770 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,941 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 13:25

This is true, I can agree, it is fair to say that Monaco, or anyother track had enjoyed continuous rough and classic races. Perhaps with exception of Jose Carlos Pace for the last years. But When it happens, Monaco is ont of the track which creates chaos with no DRS! Still remember when Salo got intopoints with Barnards' Arrows, that was wonder. The cars was looking great shame it never had a powerful engine on its back.

Abour NewJ, I am still waiting for the whole picture to come up on the web.

From a driver's perspective, I imagine it is still an incredible challenge.

2008 Monaco was a good race with changing conditions. More of the same this year would be nice!

#771 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,950 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:11

Add one giant blocking sponsor sign=problem solved. That or Mobil pays for a revamp of the station and a small fee for Bernie to let it show.

A small fee? I don't think Bernie would comprehend the adjective "small" in conjunction with the noun "fee" - at least if it's him receiving the fee in question!

#772 August

August

• 2,225 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:39

There's a building with the company's name behind the pit straight at Valecia. Last year there was a Pirelli ad hanging in front of it.

#773 Red17

Red17

• 3,435 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 15:13

But Ross's observation is actually an interesting point.
Imagine Mobil using that gas station for the next «Lewis and Tony» add. Having the race cars coming in from an actual track without clever edits or expensive SFX would be a killer. If the marketing guys were smart they could shot it before the weekend and recreate it during the race weekend as an announcement for the new add.
Nascar is basically doing this with those giant Sunoco signs.
Again, all it takes is a station revamp and a «small» fee for uncle Bernie.

#774 BRG

BRG

• 11,833 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:51

Why is there so little information about this race? The radio silence is as bad as that about Robert Kubica's recovery, and that has led to all sorts of conspiracy theories.

I picked up this from the Austin GP thread:

The planned Grand Prix in New Jersey, while more than a year away, has already scheduled F1 champ Sebastian Vettel to come drive the circuit next month as a publicity event.
(from Autoweek)

If this is for publicity, they do need to publicise it a bit more!

Edited by BRG, 05 May 2012 - 11:52.

#775 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:54

Maybe they're waiting until a little closer to when it happens, or for when it actually happens.

#776 loki

loki

• 2,135 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:00

Maybe they're waiting until a little closer to when it happens, or for when it actually happens.

The president of the race, Tom Cotter, was on Windtunnel last week with Varsha. They're building the track, they haven't yet figured the exact number of seats so they can't price them and they can't sell seats until they are on the calendar. They are likely to start taking reservations in June once they figure out for certain how many grandstand seats they will have. They just have a lower key, different form of PR than the Austin group does. He said they have a deal for a race and they will be ready for a race next year and fully expect to be on the calendar.

The have a blog http://newjersyf1gp....ix-on-schedule/ and a Facebook page http://www.facebook....rix-of-America/ though not much is going on.

Clip of interview on SpeedTV site http://www.speedtv.c...7954001/1#_vtop

Edited by loki, 06 May 2012 - 06:03.

#777 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,249 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:54

http://www.f1fanatic...circuit-layout/ - a lot more detailed layout now online

#778 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:58

Very cool.

#779 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 13:05

Nice.

Advertisement

#780 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 13:17

It's Monaco, but a bit wider, faster, and with some interesting elevation changes (Google Map street view the T5-T6 chicane). The esses section has a feel of Macau as well.

I like it. Won't be much better than Valencia, but I easy see 5 great passing zones.

#781 MP422

MP422

• 2,004 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:10

Can't wait to go !!

#782 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,249 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 17:20

http://www.sportingl.../...tml&BID=669

Although the event was announced in October, it is understood to have run into financial, and in turn, contractual difficulties with Ecclestone.

Ecclestone said: "I don't know if it is going to happen.

"I hope everything will be okay. They are sorting things out internally with some of their funds. If they are ready for 2013 we will have them."

Ecclestone's dream has long been to hold a race in New York, but he has confirmed the organisers "are late" with initial payments.

The 81-year-old, speaking to ESPN, added: "We are waiting for different parts of the contract to be agreed."

Looks like this will go alongside Russia in the "announced, but won't actually take place" category. Hence the Mexico announcement today.

#783 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 17:22

Whoa, and I thought the NJ GP was supposed to be the stronger of the two US GPs

#784 BRG

BRG

• 11,833 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 17:32

The have a blog http://newjersyf1gp....ix-on-schedule/ and a Facebook page http://www.facebook....rix-of-America/ though not much is going on.

Nothing on the blog since April 30 (and shouldn't they be able to spell JERSEY????) and the Facebook link doesn't work.

If Vettel is coming for a demonstration as was rumoured, shouldn't it be public by now - presumably he would come after Montreal.

Starting to look as if Bernie may be stirring up Mexico after all as NJ and Texas are both looking shaky.

#785 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,643 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 17:34

Whoa, and I thought the NJ GP was supposed to be the stronger of the two US GPs

The kid's like 17 or something and lives in Britain where every agenda spun piece of targeted media is customarily taken as gospel.
No perspective filter on the Tw@tter generation.

Jp

NOTE: No disrespect is intended to this fine moderator

#786 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,249 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 17:35

Nothing on the blog since April 30 (and shouldn't they be able to spell JERSEY????) and the Facebook link doesn't work.

If Vettel is coming for a demonstration as was rumoured, shouldn't it be public by now - presumably he would come after Montreal.

Starting to look as if Bernie may be stirring up Mexico after all as NJ and Texas are both looking shaky.

From a construction perspective, Texas is doing alright, so I think they will be ready for November.

#787 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,249 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 21:26

Vettel did a demonstration around the track today, a few bits and bobs from various Twitter's:

Lee McKenzie: Organisers say New Jersey GP will happen the week after Canada 2013. It is an amazing track narrow, twisty and fastest street circuit.
David Coulthard: What about this for a backdrop for a GP. 12 months from now this could be the skyline from the paddock http://t.co/rPVUZ0yP
Adam Cooper: Seb Vettel after lapping the NJ track today: "It’s clear that it is going to be a big challenge in a Formula One car"

And some images via Anthony Rowlinson of where the cars will be heading:

- Uphill 'section A' at NYC F1 circuit: https://twitter.com/...1595776/photo/1
- Bad pic but this is Seb Vettel driving the New Jersey F1 circuit: https://twitter.com/...8606081/photo/1
- Part-built pit complex at New York F1 circuit: https://twitter.com/...9387904/photo/1

Sounds good, but it depends how narrow, if it's too narrow then there won't be many overtaking opportunities by the sounds of things. Backdrop looks good though, so hopefully it's in the Singapore category rather than the Valencia category...

#788 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,643 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:37

Oh my, this is classic NJ..
Seb was wonderful on Letterman tonight.
Jp

EDIT: Here it is..

Edited by jonpollak, 12 June 2012 - 05:23.

#789 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:16

Jp

How on Earth does that guy have a TV show? Clueless

#790 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:19

Jp

Seb. carries himself well :up:

as for Letterman, you have to understand alot of folks stateside are not as so clued in to F1. He actually seemed more knowledgeable than expected

#791 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:28

Dave knows a little bit about racing.

#792 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:02

as for Letterman, you have to understand alot of folks stateside are not as so clued in to F1. He actually seemed more knowledgeable than expected

He tried to make things simple for his audience, because like you say, most are oblivious to one of the biggest forms of sport in the world.

#793 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,797 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:38

I don't see how this race is going to happen - there are going to be some seriously quick sections of that track and it's surrounded by buildings and trees. That left right left right section down the back straight looks seriously fast and I can imagine if something goes wrong there it'd be a serious accident. I suppose with catch fencing all along it might work but it does look pretty hairy to me.

Looks fun though! Like a cross between melbourne and monaco:

Edited by bonjon1979a, 12 June 2012 - 15:03.

#794 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,788 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 15:06

... there are going to be some seriously quick sections of that track and it's surrounded by buildings and trees.

Which, of course, is not the case in Monaco, Melbourne, Valencia and Singapore. :cool:

#795 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,797 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 15:42

Which, of course, is not the case in Monaco, Melbourne, Valencia and Singapore. :cool:

Obviously Monaco is well prepared for it and the track is very short/compact. Singapore and Melbourne have bigger run of areas. Also, the track for NJ looks to be pretty long - it's a greater distance for the emergency vehicles etc to have to cover. This track will also be MUCH faster than Singapore and Monaco that have short squirting sections where as this has very fast sweeping turns. Melbourne is a park, that while it has trees it also has open sections. it's quite different to this NJ track that doesn't look to have very easy access at all for emergency services should something happen. It'll be a nightmare clearing away cars - they can put a couple of cranes in key places in monaco to deal with that but this track is so much bigger they won't be able to cover it in the same way. I could be wrong but I think it looks pretty borderline to me.

#796 sblick

sblick

• 490 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 16:14

Letterman does own an Indy Car team so he is pretty knowledgeable on what it takes. Since he has Sato driving for him I am sure he had plenty of insight if he needed it. I am with the dumb it down for the audience statement.

#797 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 17:53

Longer/unedited video clip from the promo. Audio is missing over half of the footage.

#798 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,306 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 18:16

Jp

This is the best interview I'v seen with an F1 driver in a non-racing/car show setting.... this kid is funny a hell.... We should have an SV funny moments thread with stuff like him in China with the chairs and his Mansell impersonation.

.... but why is he dressed like he is from Iowa... he looks like he going to go bale some hay.

#799 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 18:54

That's how the 'cool kids' dress these days.

Advertisement

#800 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:17

Thanks for the photos! The place looks already very nice. :)

Are you kidding?