* * * - - 7 votes

New Jersey GP? [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1221 replies to this topic

#851 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:19

They DO have a twitter account but it's been silent for nearly 9 months.

Advertisement

#852 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,652 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:26

Since F1 has already secured a race in Texas it's not essential to have another one. If this falls through then it's not the end of the world.

#853 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,592 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:28

Near New York. :up:

New York is a state as well as a city remember!

#854 Les

Les

• 2,069 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:44

I don't know what's happening of course but I hope to hell they can pull it together as I've been looking really forward to both US races.

#855 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,809 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 23:39

havent they built a bunch of stuff already? might end up with alms/indycar or even nascar, who dont really have a nearby track...

#856 Funkyskunk2

Funkyskunk2

• 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 23:46

havent they built a bunch of stuff already? might end up with alms/indycar or even nascar, who dont really have a nearby track...

Posted Image
Hard to believe they'd just go ahead and knock this down.

#857 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 23:47

Thanks for reminding me. I only live there! :wave:

It's the New Jersey GP though. Across the Hudson is a completely different State.

#858 tifosi

tifosi

• 13,295 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 00:39

Oh wow :rotfl:

#859 Tommorris747

Tommorris747

• 145 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:05

Posted Image

Unless it is being built for another purpose as well as the race?

Advertisement

#860 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,327 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:29

The pit building construction is a little further along now:
Posted Image

But as far as I know they've not started work on any of the rest of the circuit.

#861 Tommorris747

Tommorris747

• 145 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:16

Posted Image

It won't be knocked down because it was always planned to be there anyway....

"The course will run largely through the master-planned Port Imperial development, which is owned by Roseland Property Co. The firm has spent several months customizing parts of the property, including a planned parking garage, to accommodate the race."
http://www.njbiz.com...ns-over-NJ-race

#862 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,231 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 21:16

Ian Parkes ‏@ianparkesf1
Appears GP of America in New Jersey will be postponed until 2014. Expect announcement tomorrow, according to Weehawken mayor Richard Turner
10:15 PM - 18 Oct 12

#863 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 21:16

Twitter suggesting the GP will be postponed until 2014, announcement expected tomorrow. A shame but not a massive surprise.

EDIT: DAMN YOU D.M.N!! :p

Edited by olliek88, 18 October 2012 - 21:17.

#864 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 21:19

I doubt Russia will be ready by 2014 either, so most likely we won't be having two new races in 2014. I doubt it's not that they won't be ready, there's little they actually have to do compared to building a new circuit. But it's probably the financial/contractual agreements that need more time. If I was them I would leave it though and not bother, unless it's being backed by a billionaire who's bored and isn't worried about losing a few hundred million over a certain period of years. It's not going to change the local economy much, same with London. With or without Formula One you're going to get loads of tourists anyway, if anything it's just a drain to throw money away at frivolous sporting events that merely disrupt life (see: Olympics)

Big places are big on their own. Places like NYC and London don't need gimmicks to sell themselves...

Edited by King Six, 18 October 2012 - 21:21.

#865 Craigster

Craigster

• 82 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 21:48

I doubt Russia will be ready by 2014 either, so most likely we won't be having two new races in 2014. I doubt it's not that they won't be ready, there's little they actually have to do compared to building a new circuit. But it's probably the financial/contractual agreements that need more time. If I was them I would leave it though and not bother, unless it's being backed by a billionaire who's bored and isn't worried about losing a few hundred million over a certain period of years. It's not going to change the local economy much, same with London. With or without Formula One you're going to get loads of tourists anyway, if anything it's just a drain to throw money away at frivolous sporting events that merely disrupt life (see: Olympics)

Big places are big on their own. Places like NYC and London don't need gimmicks to sell themselves...

It was inevitable that the NJ race would be cancelled because it was revealed a while ago that it doesn't have a contract. To think that only recently (like the posts at the top of this page) it was thought that the race would be on the calendar anyway for 2013 and would only be cancelled a few months before. Well, Ecclestone did warn everyone about it being cancelled...
http://www.nj.com/hu...e_along_hu.html

#866 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 115 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 23:26

A few negative comments on that article, looks like the locals dont want the race anyway.

#867 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 23:46

This project was doomed from the beginning. And I think Bernie knew it.

Still, he got his star driver on a late-night talk show, and ran a car through the Lincoln Tunnel, so that got people talking about F1 for a couple of minutes, as well as some publicity for the AustinGp.

Both sides of the river were indifferent to the plan, and once Cotter jumped ship it was truly done.
As an NYC resident who is a massive F1 fan, even I never cared much about the whole thing. New York/New Jersey simply doesnt need F1.

#868 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:02

Disappointing, if true. Was looking forward to that GP more than the one in Austin.

#869 rmac923

rmac923

• 439 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:37

I get the feeling the whole project is now dead. I agree this might have been a ploy by Bernie to get Austin sorted out. Now that the USGP will happen, there's no need for the NJGP.

A second USGP isn't really necessary. Let's fill that slot with Mexico or France.

#870 MP422

MP422

• 1,940 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:57

It's been postponed.. oh well. we have to wait.

I took this photo today of the site out the window today,.... then heard the postponement like 4 hours later.... jinxed it.

Posted Image

#871 bspec

bspec

• 34 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:19

Ecclestone confirms New Jersey delay until 2014

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/92259.html

#872 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,005 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:38

Great, another gap in the calendar because Bernie Money put a financial race on the calendar which wasn't even sure of going to happen. I'd say put Austin in June and find a replacement race for november to replace Austin's slot.

#873 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:30

Mayor's talk sounded like the organiser failed to achieve all permission to complete what it needs to be done...?

#874 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:47

I'm just speculating, but I suspect the reason Tom Cotter stepped down in August is because he KNEW it wasn't going to happen. Not in 2013, not in 2014, likely not ever.

I was doubtful of this race from the very beginning. I found it nearly inconceivable that they'd be able to properly cordon off the area and be able to push something like this through with the amount of closed minded NIMBYers in the area. Almost half the track is on roads that transverse a residential area. But when I saw the governor on TV last October, giving his stamp of approval, I began to believe it. I revised my opinion and thought it might really happen.

Unfortunately, the utter silence since that announcement, has given rise to little other than doubts.

#875 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,137 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 13:19

Great, another gap in the calendar because Bernie Money put a financial race on the calendar which wasn't even sure of going to happen. I'd say put Austin in June and find a replacement race for november to replace Austin's slot.

Please don't put Austin in June. The heat will kill the race within two years. it's not unusual to have days in the high 90's or even over 100 in June.

Ideally May would be the right month but apparently Montreal is still too cold then so the schedule just does not work out.

#876 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 13:26

assume some Lobbiests being active in the region?

#877 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 636 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 13:40

I get the feeling the whole project is now dead. I agree this might have been a ploy by Bernie to get Austin sorted out. Now that the USGP will happen, there's no need for the NJGP.

A second USGP isn't really necessary. Let's fill that slot with Mexico or France.

:up: I said this very thing 6 months ago on SpeedTV forums. Even as a yank, we[the u.s] only need one good grand prix. Let's see how Austin does before even talking about a second GP. Other countrys deserve a race first.

#878 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,883 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 14:45

This marks the beginning of the end of something that never was, the New Jersey GP.

#879 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,369 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 15:17

I am still pretty certain that that the New Jersey Grand Prix will happen, for F1 to get to the US and run as close to Manhattan as that is not something F1 will let slip through their hands.

:cool:

Advertisement

#880 MP422

MP422

• 1,940 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 16:21

Race has been postponed a year to ensure it is great, stop with the nonsense. Bernie is in bed with this race. NY/NJ grandprix will be amazing. Just be patient and quit hating.

#881 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 16:30

Race has been postponed a year to ensure it is great, stop with the nonsense. Bernie is in bed with this race. NY/NJ grandprix will be amazing. Just be patient and quit hating.

When it happens, I will believe, until then, pffft pie in the sky.

#882 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 16:44

Race has been postponed a year to ensure it is great, stop with the nonsense.

:D You're kidding, right?

After a tumultuous start, during the last 14 months time, they were able to build an ENTIRE circuit outside of Austin.

Meanwhile, what have they done in NJ during the last year? Build half a pit complex, that was already on the drawing board anyway. Hold a press conference. Coordinate with Red Bull to make a promo video. And what else? Maybe in 2 more years they'll be able to put up a fancy billboard.

There's got to be more to it. I haven't read a single article in the last 6 months that gave ANY insight into what's really going on with the Imperial Grand Prix. Why are things are delayed? What's causing it? Red tape? Lack of finances? Nobody seems to know and none of the local papers cares enough to investigate.

I mean, for goodness sakes, it's a street circuit. I don't want to underestimate the massive amount of planning that has to go into such an endeavor as hosting a Grand Prix. But compared to the complexities and sheer cost of building a brand new circuit, they had it easy. The fact that we've heard virtually nothing for the last 6 months, I mean, really and truly NOTHING, has to mean that they ran into some kind of serious problem. And not just yesterday.

Edited by jaisli, 19 October 2012 - 16:45.

#883 Tommorris747

Tommorris747

• 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:58

:D You're kidding, right?

After a tumultuous start, during the last 14 months time, they were able to build an ENTIRE circuit outside of Austin.

Meanwhile, what have they done in NJ during the last year? Build half a pit complex, that was already on the drawing board anyway. Hold a press conference. Coordinate with Red Bull to make a promo video. And what else? Maybe in 2 more years they'll be able to put up a fancy billboard.

There's got to be more to it. I haven't read a single article in the last 6 months that gave ANY insight into what's really going on with the Imperial Grand Prix. Why are things are delayed? What's causing it? Red tape? Lack of finances? Nobody seems to know and none of the local papers cares enough to investigate.

I mean, for goodness sakes, it's a street circuit. I don't want to underestimate the massive amount of planning that has to go into such an endeavor as hosting a Grand Prix. But compared to the complexities and sheer cost of building a brand new circuit, they had it easy. The fact that we've heard virtually nothing for the last 6 months, I mean, really and truly NOTHING, has to mean that they ran into some kind of serious problem. And not just yesterday.

The report below suggests that Red Bull may back the race. Why did this discussion not happen before they were given a race contract? Did Ecclestone do any checks on the organisers financial support?? :confused:
http://blog.northjer...x-ideal-teamup/

#884 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,780 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 13:30

The report below suggests that Red Bull may back the race. Why did this discussion not happen before they were given a race contract? Did Ecclestone do any checks on the organisers financial support?? :confused:

Because, if someone else would pay up for the race, Red Bull would have 4 cars in their livery on the track for free (not really, of course), and now that it's more likely that the race won't go ahead, it might be interesting for them to put some money into the organisation to ensure they have any cars in any race in the North-East.

#885 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,626 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 13:35

From my local NJ friend, another hold-up is the fact that Port Imperial is the major NJ/NY ferry station and has a huge amount of parking associated with it. Apparently the unforseen problem was no one in NJ realized the pit buldings were required to be permanent and would take up about 80% of the available parking space. So, time is needed to figure out how to deal with that situation.

:cool:

#886 Tommorris747

Tommorris747

• 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 15:14

Because, if someone else would pay up for the race, Red Bull would have 4 cars in their livery on the track for free (not really, of course), and now that it's more likely that the race won't go ahead, it might be interesting for them to put some money into the organisation to ensure they have any cars in any race in the North-East.

OK. This applies to Red Bull but why did Ecclestone not make sure that the organisers had funding from anyone before giving them a contract?

#887 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,780 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 16:10

OK. This applies to Red Bull but why did Ecclestone not make sure that the organisers had funding from anyone before giving them a contract?

I guess he thinks that that's not his problem.

#888 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 16:39

http://blog.northjer...x-ideal-teamup/

There is a quote from this article that I do find ironic: "It remains a mystery to me why it took so long for the announcement of the delay to be made – which came AFTER the race recently was penciled onto the 2013 F1 calendar. Numerous North Jersey power players never believed this race would happen in 2013. And it won’t." Funny. What North Jersey Power players? And where did they make such comments? Are there any quotes? I know this is only coming from NorthJersey.com, but is this really what passes itself off for journalism now-a-days? :lol: The author's quote is the very question the Editor should be asking and the reporter should be answering.

From my local NJ friend, another hold-up is the fact that Port Imperial is the major NJ/NY ferry station and has a huge amount of parking associated with it. Apparently the unforseen problem was no one in NJ realized the pit buldings were required to be permanent and would take up about 80% of the available parking space. So, time is needed to figure out how to deal with that situation.

Yeah, I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. It just doesn't add up. No offense to your friend but this sounds like idle speculation. Unless there are plans drawn up for a dozen more buildings that we don't know about, there is NO WAY that the pit garages could take up 80% of the parking area. It's not even remotely close. What's more, there's already empty tarmac there that isn't even being used. Yes, it is a busy hub but it's not like you have tens of thousands of people parking there. Just getting through Weehawken during commuting hours is a nightmare and that alone discourages it's use for people outside the general area. It's the same with the Lincoln Harbor terminal or the Hoboken Terminal.

#889 Tommorris747

Tommorris747

• 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 18:38

What North Jersey Power players? And where did they make such comments? Are there any quotes?

http://www.auto123.c...ce?artid=148234

#890 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 18:59

http://www.auto123.c...ce?artid=148234

Interesting. Nice find. But this doesn't say much, and it only begs to ask more questions. There are only two quotes in that article. One, a link to Bernie Eccelstone's comments from back in June about the race being uncertain. And that we already knew. And a quote from NJ Governor Christie where he discusses a conversation he had with Leo Hindry. I guess technically his comments are hearsay since they didn't come directly from Hindry (see below)

"He (Hindery) told me that it's absolutely happening," Christie told reporters. "I called and reached out and he told me there's not a problem. It's on the schedule."

A spokesman for Leo Hindery insisted there would be no comment "on financial arrangements with formula one".

Indeed, Christie admitted he didn't know why the FIA listed the New Jersey race with an asterisk.

"No one can explain it to me," he said. "But I called the guy (Hindery) who's in charge of the group that's running the race and he told me it's definitely happening, no problem."

So assuming this is true and that the governor isn't trying to cover anything, as recently as 3 months ago, he spoke to Leo Hindry and Hindry allegedly told him that everything is fine. Judging from this alone, it sounds to me like their problems were less to do with red tape and more to do with a lack of financial backing. Whether that backing is for construction or the enormous cost of hosting the weekend or paying the sanctioning fees, who knows. But if the Port Imperial Grand Prix Organizers were having trouble getting permits or obtaining community support, reaching out to the governor would have been their first step.

A title sponsor was never announced. I'm guessing they had some sort of financial deal in place that fell through.

#891 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 546 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:30

Still on the 2013 calender-http://www.formula1....ar_preview.html

#892 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 546 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 20:38

But that was yesterday,now it is gone.
2014 then?

#893 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 103 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:03

But that was yesterday,now it is gone.
2014 then?

We will have to wait and see. I went to COTA with a friend from NY/NJ who is deeply concerned about this race. From what I hear: this was an area affected quite significantly by Hurricane Sandy. I'm sure that didn't help progress..

#894 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,572 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:05

I thought we all knew it wasn't for 2013?

#895 sblick

sblick

• 488 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:09

Ya this race is definitely not 2013. They wanted another year so 2014 will be the year

#896 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:16

Sure I heard Bernie mention 2015, when he was interviewed on Sky at the weekend. May be wrong, which is more likely to be fair.

#897 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 984 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:36

I thought we all knew it wasn't for 2013?

Yes, but for some reason the race was still listed on the F1.com 2013 calendar until a couple of days ago. I was very surprised too to see it there for so long.

#898 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,430 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 23:04

Maybe no-one thought to tell the web editor about the change. Happens all the time.

#899 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 922 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:12

I'm looking foward to this event. A street race in America is something F1 hasn't seen since 1991.

Advertisement

#900 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 425 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:48

Hurricane Sandy. I'm sure that didn't help progress..

This race will not happen in its current iteration. Bernie may end up with one here in the future but not next year or '14 IMO. Sandy created a political minefield for anyone trying to garner funds for an extravagant business adventure such as F1. It would be political suicide and private funds won't come for the same reason.