Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:10

Their loss.

Advertisement

#252 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 13:24

Their loss.

:well: Their loss? Hardly. It's my loss and the loss of every other F1 fan in the great NYC area, or around the world, who wanted to see this happen. The Friends of Liberty State Park, the Mayor of Jersey City and their cohorts in Department of Environmental Protection were likely celebrating the night away at this decision.

#253 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 18:24

:well: Their loss? Hardly. It's my loss and the loss of every other F1 fan in the great NYC area, or around the world, who wanted to see this happen. The Friends of Liberty State Park, the Mayor of Jersey City and their cohorts in Department of Environmental Protection were likely celebrating the night away at this decision.

If the people of NYC (and the Liberty State Park motorpreneurs) were serious about wanting an F1 race, they'd do the kind of organising and lobbying that the people against the race did. In a democracy getting anything positive done takes effort and skill; not just putting a huge suitcase of cash on the table.

#254 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:03

If the people of NYC (and the Liberty State Park motorpreneurs) were serious about wanting an F1 race, they'd do the kind of organising and lobbying that the people against the race did. In a democracy getting anything positive done takes effort and skill; not just putting huge suitcase(S) of cash on the table.

Gotta say that would help the situation though :p

Edited by Lazarus II, 13 May 2010 - 21:04.

#255 hansmann

hansmann

• 260 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:15

Because the US doesn't need F1, and the entire attitude that Bernie and F1 are bigger than the US is getting tiresome.

The negative US attitude towards competing in international sports is a shame really ; I think it'd be great to have a US GP, and a US F1 team .
And the same in football, kricket and rugby, while we are at it .;)

#256 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:17

Their loss.

loosen up that belt of yours Captain... F1 was never going to "big up" Jersey City or NJ. It was always going to be about NYC except across the river wasn't going to be footing the bill.

#257 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:20

Gotta say that would help the situation though :p

So long as you keep the suitcases coming. :D

#258 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:29

The negative US attitude towards competing in international sports is a shame really ; I think it'd be great to have a US GP, and a US F1 team .

I don't think it's a negative attitude at all. I think you are simply misinterpreting my post to be more self-righteous than it was meant to be.

What I said was exactly what I meant. The United States does not require a Formula One Grand Prix out of necessity. The costs to run the race are too high compared to the revenue that can be generated. In addition to that, neither state nor federal government is going to furnish large amounts of money on the parties involved to help out with something like this. There are domestic issues that need to be addressed far before governments should be using money for something like this.

Again, I think you misinterpreted my post, and I hope it is not because I have basically identified myself as an American. That would be unfortunate. An F1 GP is just not financially feasible, given the amount of contribution expected from Bernie. He does not realize that he needs to change his negotiating tactics in order to come to an agreement (get what he wants). I think it is HIS negative attitude toward the US that is preventing more F1 exposure here. I freaking love F1, but I'm glad that the people here are being somewhat sensible and not bending under the weight of Bernie's thumb.

#259 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:57

The United States does not require a Formula One Grand Prix out of necessity. The costs to run the race are too high compared to the revenue that can be generated.

An F1 GP is just not financially feasible, given the amount of contribution expected from Bernie. He does not realize that he needs to change his negotiating tactics in order to come to an agreement (get what he wants). I think it is HIS negative attitude toward the US that is preventing more F1 exposure here. I freaking love F1, but I'm glad that the people here are being somewhat sensible and not bending under the weight of Bernie's thumb.

The USA does not need F1, F1 needs the USA if anything. Our fan base is not that large to begin with + its spread out over a distance equivalent to Lisbon-Baghdad - I think some people fail to take this into consideration... Just look at Los Angeles, the 2nd largest population area in the country and yet they haven't had an NFL team since 1995 (and they don't care).

When hosting an F1 race makes economic sense, then promoters will step up here.

Advertisement

#260 Xpat

Xpat

• 4,059 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:47

Soccer/football is, unfortunately, a game that is played by millions of kids all over the country but they stop playing after high school. As for cricket, we already have an arcane bat and ball game that is dull as hell, why adopt a second. American football is just a pimped up version of rugby. :)

#261 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,384 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:52

Ecclestone still eyeing New York GP

Not again....!!!!
:lol:
Jp

#262 Xpat

Xpat

• 4,059 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:35

Last time we heard about NJ the race ended up in Texas. I've got good money they'll announce a race in North Dakota next.

Oh, and if the US ends up with 2 races listen closely for the sound of Capt. Tightpants head exploding. :rotfl:

#263 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,443 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 16:39

Bernie is missing the Australian GP to have a meeting with the Mayor of NYC to discuss the possibilty of a race at Staten Island in Liberty State Park

#264 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,678 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 16:43

Couldnt find the previous thread on this but, Bernie is missing the Australian GP to have a meeting with the Mayor of NYC to discuss the possibilty of a race at Staten Island in Liberty State Park

Hey jjj, Do you have more info about it?

Edited by Buttoneer, 23 March 2011 - 22:50.

#265 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 16:47

Great, this means that Bernie is negotiating the Australian GP at the moment and it is likely to stay.

#266 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,443 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 16:48

Hey jjj, Do you have more info about it?

here you go....

although they seem to discuss the Australian GP more?!

http://www.gpupdate....new-york-mayor/

edit, sorry i searched for New York GP, not New Jersey! sorry guys, feel free to merge!

Edited by jimjimjeroo, 23 March 2011 - 16:49.

#267 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 22:43

Bernie doesn't like making the trip to Australia these days. It's simply too far for him to travel. I'd say these comments about him going to New York instead are simply local press seeing that he hasn't come when there is debate over the future of the race, and eading far too much into it. New York City is apparently just as surprised at the new Ecclestone is coming as everyone else is:

"Ecclestone has been squabbling with some Melbourne officials about the future of the race there, and the word from down under was that Ecclestone was instead spending his time chatting with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg about staging a future race on Staten Island. That, apparently, is news to Staten Island."

Source

#268 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,886 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 22:58

Bernie doesn't like making the trip to Australia these days. It's simply too far for him to travel. I'd say these comments about him going to New York instead are simply local press seeing that he hasn't come when there is debate over the future of the race, and eading far too much into it. New York City is apparently just as surprised at the new Ecclestone is coming as everyone else is:

Source

According to the New York Times it's news to Bernie too! http://www.nytimes.c.../...&ref=sports

#269 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,534 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 00:49

They do play football reasonably well.

Now where is England in baseball, grid iron and ice hockey. Too scared of the Americans and Candians to beat them to a world championship ? :wave:;)

#270 loki

loki

• 2,078 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:39

Of course notwithstanding the fact that Liberty Park is in New Jersey and Staten Island is in New York. Someone at GP Update didn't do their homework.

#271 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,790 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:11

I have a strange feeling of déjà vu.

#272 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,296 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:24

I have a strange feeling of déjà vu.

Who is Bernie trying to scare into prolonging their contract this year. lol

Last time it was all fluff to scare the Australian Grand Prix organisers, I don't see this being any more serious than last time really.

#273 Ise

Ise

• 217 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 13:19

Another whacked out dream that'll remain just that. Again.

#274 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,085 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 13:41

Did Bernie just open up Google Maps and is now going through New Jersey towns on the Hudson?

Edited by Dmitriy_Guller, 03 August 2011 - 13:42.

#275 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:14

Or we can dream that there will be a project to generate revenue to bring Watkins Glen up to spec for an F1 race. I'd much rather see that then a one-off street circuit.

As I said, dream.

#276 MonzaF1

MonzaF1

• 487 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:26

Think of one of the most boring and depressing places in Brtain and then imagine a grand pric there.

What a load of crap - slow news day?

#277 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,477 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:47

Just what we need, another manky street circuit. I think all the contrived street circuits are rubbish - I would rather lose Monaco than Spa; F1 cars need room to breath.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 03 August 2011 - 14:48.

#278 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 20:00

Think of one of the most boring and depressing places in Brtain and then imagine a grand pric there.

C'mon, with negative attitudes like that how will we ever get Lewis into Croydon?

#279 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 20:19

Grosser Preis von Slough.

Advertisement

#280 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 20:27

Or we can dream that there will be a project to generate revenue to bring Watkins Glen up to spec for an F1 race. I'd much rather see that then a one-off street circuit.

As I said, dream.

The Glen cannot be brought up to spec without losing everything that defines it.. it simply cannot be done.

#281 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 20:28

Think of one of the most boring and depressing places (with an amazing view of the greatest city on earth) and then imagine a grand prix there.

Fixed!

#282 Xpat

Xpat

• 4,059 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 00:54

QUOTE (MonzaF1 @ Aug 3 2011, 14:26)
Think of one of the most boring and depressing places (with an amazing view of the greatest city on earth) and then imagine a grand prix there.

Fixed!

Staines?

#283 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,604 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:43

Another whacked out dream that'll remain just that. Again.

Does anyone actually believe all these supposed "next new" GP venue crap????

#284 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:48

Does anyone actually believe all these supposed "next new" GP venue crap????

I don't really recall Valencia and Singapore being rumors for years and they suddenly popped up on the schedule. But we've seen New York, London, Rome, Paris, being thrown around for a decade or more.

Plus, were would the circuit even by? Hoboken? There is a nice area around the mall in Newport, but there is a suburb nearby. Those are the only two places where a GP would fit if you wanted to look across the Hudson and see NYC.

Edited by HaydenFan, 04 August 2011 - 02:52.

#285 loki

loki

• 2,078 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:07

Weehauken and West New York are just north of Hoboken. I've stayed at that Sheraton in Weehauken, next to the water taxi. Great way to visit the city and not pay an arm and leg to park or for the room. I'm looking at the map right now and don't see where they'd put it.

On edit, check out Port Imperial, the view would basically look toward Mid Town across the river.

Edited by loki, 04 August 2011 - 03:11.

#286 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:03

Weehauken and West New York are just north of Hoboken. I've stayed at that Sheraton in Weehauken, next to the water taxi. Great way to visit the city and not pay an arm and leg to park or for the room. I'm looking at the map right now and don't see where they'd put it.

On edit, check out Port Imperial, the view would basically look toward Mid Town across the river.

I'm working in the city this summer (working is a light term, more like law office slave), and will check Port Imperial out. But looking at the map, it looks like a small area.

#287 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 416 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 15:47

If it a twilight race, it would be amazing. This needs to happen and how much F1 would get in fans, advertising and all that jazz will be remarkable.

#288 BRG

BRG

• 11,668 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 18:31

If it a twilight race, it would be amazing. This needs to happen and how much F1 would get in fans, advertising and all that jazz will be remarkable.

Yes, it could be like Valencia, only without the charisma.

#289 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 20:47

Twilight in NJ would be midnight CET, it won't happen.

#290 Obster

Obster

• 93 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 20:51

For those of you who know the area, reports say the track will be on both River Road AND Boulevard East.
For those not familiar-these two roads parallel each other, and are kind of close-
separated only by an ENORMOUS CLIFF that will make it feel like the track is in two different time zones.
Would be quite a sight to see a car go off on the upper part....

#291 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,678 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 21:08

For those of you who know the area, reports say the track will be on both River Road AND Boulevard East.
For those not familiar-these two roads parallel each other, and are kind of close-
separated only by an ENORMOUS CLIFF that will make it feel like the track is in two different time zones.
Would be quite a sight to see a car go off on the upper part....

It starts likes this: http://maps.google.c...=12,216.51,,0,0
And then it gets like this: http://maps.google.c...=12,267.22,,0,0

Edit: Btw, some people would have a nice view of the track http://maps.google.c...p=12,15.94,,0,0

Edited by highdownforce, 10 August 2011 - 21:10.

#292 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,222 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:48

Looks like this is set to be officially confirmed on Tuesday: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/95596
Also:

It is not confirmed where the track will be, but it is likely to run along the banks of the Hudson River - using the waterfront and the iconic Manhattan skyline as a backdrop.

#293 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:22

Staines?

Slough.

#294 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:34

Damn, that was quick! I think it would be spectacular if held in the day, fine addition to the calendar.

Only question is, which track would it replace...

#295 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:45

Fantastic news! Another street track with 90 degree corners :clap:. I hope it will replace Albert Park or Spa, I can't stand these boring circuits anymore!

#296 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,477 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:47

Just what F1 needs, another clunky street race, in a country where F1 rates somewhere below varsity tiddlywinks in the fan stakes, just so that Bernie Ecclestone can get even richer and Tamara can loll about on a bed covered in £2 million in notes...

Edited by Bloggsworth, 22 October 2011 - 08:48.

#297 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:49

Looks like this is set to be officially confirmed on Tuesday: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/95596

I have a feel we will lose one of the venues on the 2011 calendar.

Edited by primer, 22 October 2011 - 08:53.

#298 Pizdek

Pizdek

• 291 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:52

Fantastic news! Another street track with 90 degree corners :clap:. I hope it will replace Albert Park or Spa, I can't stand these boring circuits anymore!

Have you gone insane???

#299 aray

aray

• 2,707 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:57

Have you gone insane???

nerds will be nerds,leave them...

about this,i don't want 2 races in one country...there are other countries interested in F1...russia will join soon and argentina and mexico are close to the rader..

Edited by aray, 22 October 2011 - 08:58.

Advertisement

#300 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:00

That's sarcasm, I think he was just being bitter.

I'm going to give the track a chance before bashing it unnecessarily, it's an iconic place and having a GP there would be spectacular. Two US GPs might be overkill, though.