* * * - - 7 votes

New Jersey GP? [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1221 replies to this topic

#351 sawyer_si

sawyer_si

• 347 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 16:08

Well, Bernie's always been about expanding the horizon of his wallet, first and foremost. However, I'd be more than delighted with a second US Grand Prix.
I wonder what it'll be called, though; surely not 'New York Grand Prix'? Although that wouldn't be without precedent - San Marino Grand Prix, anyone?

Well, at least San Marino is a proper country, like Italy or USA, just (much) smaller :D Even tough the track isn't in it...

Advertisement

#352 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,304 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 16:17

So many USA haters here.

Not really. Some people are envious or afraid of losing their chance at a GP, some others just clueless.

#353 August

August

• 2,046 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 16:18

Well, at least San Marino is a proper country, like Italy or USA, just (much) smaller :D Even tough the track isn't in it...

IIRC there's a rule that a race can use another country's name if the other country is enough close, like in cases of San Marino and Luxembourg GPs.

#354 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,032 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 16:33

I guess we can solve the dilemma by making Austin race Grand Prix of Mexico. I'm sure Texans would be fine with that.

#355 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 16:44

I don't see the problem with calling it the New York Grand Prix, and the Austin race being the United States Grand Prix.

The Austin race will probably fall under another popular name with the public anyway like the Texan Grand Prix or something close to that.

Edited by johnmhinds, 22 October 2011 - 16:45.

#356 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,305 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 16:48

And the West Coast is screwed again. You guys in midAmerica and on the East Coast are gonna miss us when we secede. I seriously hate traveling to the East Coast, just a little more than traveling to Texas. I would rather hop on a flight to Canada or Europe and quite frankly, the cost wouldn't be much more (cheaper in Canada actually). Well have fun with your race.

#357 August

August

• 2,046 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 17:01

And the West Coast is screwed again. You guys in midAmerica and on the East Coast are gonna miss us when we secede. I seriously hate traveling to the East Coast, just a little more than traveling to Texas. I would rather hop on a flight to Canada or Europe and quite frankly, the cost wouldn't be much more (cheaper in Canada actually). Well have fun with your race.

In some ways I think going to Texas was a mistake, IMO the races should be close to NY and LA.

#358 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 17:08

According to Saward's blog, the track would look something like this.

Posted Image

Edit: I still assume, the track wouldn't go straight from hairpin to 1st corner, I think it will use the roads closer to Hudson.

Edit 2: Wait a minute, here's more official layout in a f1fanatic article from August.

http://www.f1fanatic...track-new-york/

There's a 90-deg corner to left, left to the lower arrow I drew, and another 90-deg corner to right leading back to Port Imperial Blvd. Then the first two corners are as I supposed them to be except that they are earlier, where I expected the pits to be.

Look a lot like Montreal track to me

#359 aray

aray

• 2,564 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 17:13

Must of forgot they extended. I don't see them carrying on past then, if they don't just pull out earlier anyway. When Russia comes along we have a new and improved Eastern European race, and the Hungaroring is getting dated.

bernie supposed to have stake in hungaroring... :well:
that's why there was never a talk to drop it.. :down:

Advertisement

#360 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 860 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 17:18

Hasn't Austin already been named "Grand Prix of the Americas"?

Weehauken may resemble Île Notre-Dame from a quick glance at a layout but that's where the similarity ends. Besides, Hermann Tilke is nowhere in sight - rejoice!

Edited by nordschleife, 22 October 2011 - 17:22.

#361 August

August

• 2,046 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 17:21

I made that based on Saward's desciption of track. The proposed profile was at f1fanatic and it looked like this.

Posted Image

Track length 5.16 km, driven clockwise, Saward's blog implies.

Hasn't Austin already been named "Grand Prix of the Americas"?

The circuit is Circuit of the Americas, race is United States Grand Prix.

Edited by August, 22 October 2011 - 19:26.

#362 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 19:04

I just creamed my pants. The thought of a Formula 1 grand prix that I could drive my beloved WRX to has me absolutely thrilled. I don't care about the details at this point, but a race in the tri-state area would just be amazing.

:up:

#363 loki

loki

• 1,985 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 19:11

I made that based on Saward's desciption of track. The proposed profile was at f1fanatic and it looked like this.

Looks kind of like what that bloke in post 285 on this thread thought.... :drunk:

Edited by loki, 22 October 2011 - 19:12.

#364 jee

jee

• 712 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 19:17

Macao anyone? :cat:

#365 Les

Les

• 2,067 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 19:21

Well I quite like the proposed version I have to say. Seems pretty fast too.

Probably by the time its finished it'll be Tilkefied and have a few more chicanes and slow corners says the cynic in me.

#366 August

August

• 2,046 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 19:32

Macao anyone? :cat:

Comes to my mind too. Half of the track is flat, mainly straights, another half is constantly turning and undulating. This looks something different compared to recent circuits, could be from '80s. A pity that barriers will make it look maybe a bit boring, in some ways I'd preferred Melbourne or Montreal like 'park' street track.

#367 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 860 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 19:40

If you haven't checked out the road from street level there are hundreds of condos as close as can be to the track after the hairpin. I'd happily rent one for the weekend but I'm thinking there's thousands of residents there who won't enjoy the pain-inducing banshee wails like I do. Will they all stay at Petra Ecclestone's place in LA that weekend?

#368 August

August

• 2,046 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 19:53

Well I quite like the proposed version I have to say. Seems pretty fast too.

Probably by the time its finished it'll be Tilkefied and have a few more chicanes and slow corners says the cynic in me.

I don't see many places that could be Tilkefied, Valencia is a Tilkefied street circuit, coz only main straight and the chicanes between two long straights are on public roads, other parts were build for the track. This circuit instead is almost completly based on existing streets, so there's not much space for Tilke. JFK Blvd seems to be very wide, so probably there will be Singapore-like runoff when entering that street. But JFK Blvd's entry looks interesting. (The 1st pic in this post.) There is a 500 m straight and then a left turn followed immidiately by a 90-deg right. In the left turn, there's really no space for runoff, and because of a house, you can't turn earlier.

But, after all I wouldn't be really surprised if that weren't the final layout.

#369 jee

jee

• 712 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 19:56

If you haven't checked out the road from street level there are hundreds of condos as close as can be to the track after the hairpin. I'd happily rent one for the weekend but I'm thinking there's thousands of residents there who won't enjoy the pain-inducing banshee wails like I do. Will they all stay at Petra Ecclestone's place in LA that weekend?

They will be happy to rent you their balcony for the race I am sure

#370 Les

Les

• 2,067 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 20:05

The track will have the inspiring Manhattan backdrop some of the local scenery might not be so inspiring as you can see in this pic.

Posted Image

That's something that Bernie will care about more than me though. As long as the track and the racing is good.

#371 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,072 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 20:42

Out of the two speculative tracks we've got here, I prefer this one for the longer back straight and faster corners, compared to the 90 degree corners on the other.
Posted Image

I would greatly prefer something better than that silly succession of 90 degreers on the far left thought.

#372 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 21:13

bernie supposed to have stake in hungaroring... :well:
that's why there was never a talk to drop it.. :down:

You confuse it with Istanbul Park.

Hungary loves F1 and F1 people loves Hungary, that's why there's never a talk to drop it. And it's a classic track, has soul!

#373 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,032 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 21:26

I just creamed my pants. The thought of a Formula 1 grand prix that I could drive my beloved WRX to has me absolutely thrilled. I don't care about the details at this point, but a race in the tri-state area would just be amazing.

Good luck finding parking up there.

#374 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 00:23

Fantastic news! Another street track with 90 degree corners :clap:. I hope it will replace Albert Park or Spa, I can't stand these boring circuits anymore!

Great posts Mastah. Completely agree with your sarcasm.

Names? Grand Prix of Jersey? I could see it now. Chris Christie at the event announcement confusing the F1 show car for a hot dog and eating it.
This is just a base for a million jokes. The norm in an F1 hospitality suit is caviar and champagne, but not in Jersey. They'll park a few diners alongside the circuit.

you are a big Letterman fan, aren't you? ;)

The Occupy Wall Street people might block that.

I'm thinking of more Jersey type sponsors. Western Union, MTV, DeCavalcante crime family.

you really are a big Letterman fan. :p

Great sense of humour, post more in this forum. We need more people like you.

#375 Madera

Madera

• 368 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:13

I live in Pennsylvania, about an hour away. I WILL BE THERE! If indeed it is true.

Dream of a lifetime.

Just imagine the sound echoing through the concrete canyons. MAD!

Sod the the neighorhood, just enjoy the party that is F1.

If Gov. Christie is endorsing this, that's good enough for me.

He's a cool guy that realises the wow factor and economic potential for the nj/ny area.

Bring it on!

#376 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:41

I really hope they can put together a good circuit and not another valencia just for the sake of having the skyline in the background.

#377 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,249 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:18

This is quite amazing news. My only hope would be to have Michael Schumacher racing in 2013, so I could potentially see him in action...

#378 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:34

Another GP in the states sounds great. That would be 4 GP's on 2 continents is awesome. There is much interest in F1 in north & south america. Although I'm more interested in Austin than I am NJ. A dedicated track is a dedicated track. But I think the powers that be can make the GP in NJ a success.

#379 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:35

This is quite amazing news. My only hope would be to have Michael Schumacher racing in 2013, so I could potentially see him in action...

seeing someone called george costanza comment on a new york grand prix makes me chuckle :lol:

Advertisement

#380 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,249 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:03

seeing someone called george costanza comment on a new york grand prix makes me chuckle :lol:

LOL. :lol:

#381 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,760 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:59

According to Pitpass, the race will be called 'Grand Prix of America'.

#382 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED

• 8,097 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:11

I live in Pennsylvania, about an hour away. I WILL BE THERE! If indeed it is true.

I live in Miami, about 17 hours away. I WILL BE THERE! if indeed it is true.

#383 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED

• 8,097 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:16

I live in Miami, about 17 hours away. I WILL BE THERE! if indeed it is true.

I just checked and it's actually a 22 hour drive. :drunk:

#384 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:37

Don't think they'll have any problems selling the tickets for this one. I went to the Hungaroring with my wife this year because she could combine the race with a visit to Budapest. When I told her they were planning a GP down the road from New York her eyes lit up like a 5th Avenue neon sign, so if I can get tickets for this one and have the cash to do it, we'll be there. :clap:

#385 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 13:38

I see:

A long undulating straight;
A flowing section that's effectively a "straight";
A forested section;
Some elevation changes;
A portion that will not allow bleachers because of it's location to the waterfront - great twilight view of Manhattan.

BUT..

The most important thing I see are empty condos. That are probably going for a tenth of what they were worth when built. Also, two large empty parking garages - probably more. It's somewhat like a
potential Augusta National situation, in that if someone wants to live near the city they can buy one of these condos, rent it out for the month of the race. For that matter, there's probably F1 people that can afford to just buy one of them just to sit on it until the race.

From Jersey's standpoint, it looks pretty good. From a race standpoint, it looks like a potentially different circuit - I'd love to see a street circuit that has *long* straights, and through the woods as well.

#386 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,032 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:37

The most important thing I see are empty condos. That are probably going for a tenth of what they were worth when built. Also, two large empty parking garages - probably more. It's somewhat like a
potential Augusta National situation, in that if someone wants to live near the city they can buy one of these condos, rent it out for the month of the race. For that matter, there's probably F1 people that can afford to just buy one of them just to sit on it until the race.

I don't know where you're getting this info from, but it's utterly wrong. The real estate crash didn't really hit Northern New Jersey all that bad. It's a bit unfortunate, because I was ready to buy for the right price.

#387 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,860 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:02

The introduction of a New Jersey GP should be a warning to countries like Koreawho are stinging Bernie with renegotiation talk. Bernie's strategy is FFF(find, f*ck, forget). Heck, I would surely be able to host a GP in my home town in Sweden, so long as I paid the requisite hosting fee.

#388 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:17

There's not enough room for run offs to have a fast street circuit there, expect lots of chicanes.

Edited by King Six, 24 October 2011 - 12:17.

#389 glasgowman

glasgowman

• 108 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 21:24

NEW JERESEY GP
mixture of spa and monaco!!

Edited by glasgowman, 24 October 2011 - 21:25.

#390 Les

Les

• 2,067 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 21:44

'the race will take place on a four-lane highway, two lanes in each direction.'

That sounds like the Avus. I hope not!

#391 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,238 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 22:24

mixture of spa and monaco!!

Whats a mixture of spa and monaco? Thats like saying its a mixture between a square and a triangle.

#392 jee

jee

• 712 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 22:30

mixture between a square and a triangle.

Macao :)

#393 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,654 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 23:08

Meh, not overly excited for yet another street circuit. If it replaces Valencia, I'm all for it already. Is Tilke involved?

Edited by Disgrace, 24 October 2011 - 23:09.

#394 glasgowman

glasgowman

• 108 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:03

Whats a mixture of spa and monaco? Thats like saying its a mixture between a square and a triangle.

dont shoot the messenger just quoting the article

maybe means spa's length and altitude change with being raced in a city!

#395 loki

loki

• 1,985 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:14

If the race was in Manhattan it could be compared to Monaco but being across the river it's more like if the race was in Cap-d'Ail in France with a backdrop of Monaco.

#396 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,246 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:16

So a trapezium or a pentagon with a square base. :kiss:

#397 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:30

I don't think I'll even bother following this one until I see the red lights go out on a Sunday, do people think this is really gonna happen, I just feel very pessimistic about it all.

Edited by King Six, 25 October 2011 - 08:30.

#398 SuperSoft

SuperSoft

• 348 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:26

So the first few corners will see the track navigate "Hamilton Park"?

How very apt.

#399 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:58

Out of the two speculative tracks we've got here, I prefer this one for the longer back straight and faster corners, compared to the 90 degree corners on the other.
Posted Image

I would greatly prefer something better than that silly succession of 90 degreers on the far left thought.

Sorry I am jumping on to this, but indeed, where will be the Grand Stand and where will be the first corner, at Hamilton Park?
The reason as to why the track rotate in clock wise is the view towards Manhattan, I assume...

Advertisement

#400 August

August

• 2,046 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:28

Sorry I am jumping on to this, but indeed, where will be the Grand Stand and where will be the first corner, at Hamilton Park?
The reason as to why the track rotate in clock wise is the view towards Manhattan, I assume...

In fact I made that based on Saward's description, in post 361 I have a map based on the circuit plan published at f1fanatic. I'll wait to see whether they'll publish a circuit diagram with grandstands when announcing the deal, before I start to speculate on grandstands' location. At least the climb to JFK Blvd seems something I wouldn't have expected to see. If an engine failure happens there, it's definitely a SC/red flag, you can't get the car out of there safely otherwise. And the corner leading there from the bridge will probably have no runoff, so it's easy to break your car there. So, it seems to be more Monaco-like than Singapore, let alone Valencia.

Edited by August, 25 October 2011 - 10:35.