* * * - - 7 votes

New Jersey GP? [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1221 replies to this topic

#401 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:47

I am curious what kind of insane rates the local hotels will set. I wonder if I can reserve a room two years a head of time to avoid it?

Advertisement

#402 SuperSoft

SuperSoft

• 348 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:55

I am curious what kind of insane rates the local hotels will set. I wonder if I can reserve a room two years a head of time to avoid it?

Plenty of empty tents at the occupy wall street camp, I will probably stay there myself.

You will have to pee in Starbucks, eat in McDonalds, dress in Nike, use your iPhone to tweet everyone and leave your VW parked 5 blocks away - but hey, at least you get to "stick it to capitalism" and get to watch a GP on the cheap.

Bargain!

Edited by SuperSoft, 25 October 2011 - 10:56.

#403 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:35

Plenty of empty tents at the occupy wall street camp, I will probably stay there myself.

You will have to pee in Starbucks, eat in McDonalds, dress in Nike, use your iPhone to tweet everyone and leave your VW parked 5 blocks away - but hey, at least you get to "stick it to capitalism" and get to watch a GP on the cheap.

Bargain!

Could stay at the other NYC area, that is well possible there. I wonder if any breath taking change will occur there in terms of tenants and so on...

#404 Crusoe

Crusoe

• 173 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:46

@SuperSoft: Please don't bring the Fox News discourse into the topic, it can only result in a huge derail.

I'm really digging the layout, if it'll be like the proposal with the elevation changes.

#405 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:02

Number one question is how are coming up with the money for the sanction fee.

#406 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:04

This must have been a bargain.

#407 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,660 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:20

It's probably part of some bailout. Likely Christie cried to the Federal government for more money, cut funding for schools/police/the poor - pick one - and blew it on this. Don't worry, everyone will blame Obama when it goes tits up.

#408 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,164 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:21

This race is never going to happen. Here is the proposed track:

http://www.guardian....e-new-jersey-gp

The cars will be going flat out through built up areas - there's no way that it'll be safe enough. Monaco is so twisty the cars it doesn't matter- this track is more like monza.

#409 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:24

Err no, that would be Montreal speeds at best. And they don't seem to have any problems there. They aren't going to be racing past churches and schools without barriers.

#410 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:28

What do you guys think about the television broadcast in the US? I don't want to start a networking debate, but I think 2012 and 2013 are excellent opportunities for US television to embrace Formula 1. By 2013 we could have two US GPs, with one in the NYC area.

Personally, I'd love to see another network take a stab at it. I wonder if ESPN put enough resources into it if they could broadcast the US GPs. If done right I think something like this could really boost F1s profile over here. What we can't have is FOX broadcasting the race only to go on the air as the cars leave the grid. This event should really get some support from within the US.

...and now that it's been mentioned, I might have to bring my own shelter to the race.

#411 aray

aray

• 2,573 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:32

"This is going to be an economic boom for this whole region. While political and public servants talk about creating jobs, the governor has put the pedal to the metal and delivered. This is the top of the line in motor racing, it's incredible."......

seem bernie fooling west in the same line as east...at least nobody can call him prejudiced.. ;)

#412 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,164 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:34

Err no, that would be Montreal speeds at best. And they don't seem to have any problems there. They aren't going to be racing past churches and schools without barriers.

Have a look on streetview(in particular JFK blvd E) and see how close the houses are and think about how fast those cars will be travelling through there - I'm telling you now, it won't happen on that track. Montreal is a man made island with hardly any buildings. The proposed new jersey track is a different kettle of fish all together. There are two sections of track in excess of 1500metres that an F1 car would treat as a straight, there are slight curves but not enough to cause these cars to have to lift - cars will be set up with low downforce on this track as there are only a couple of medium speed corners.

Edited by bonjon1979a, 25 October 2011 - 12:43.

#413 August

August

• 2,054 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 14:46

This race is never going to happen. Here is the proposed track:

http://www.guardian....e-new-jersey-gp

The cars will be going flat out through built up areas - there's no way that it'll be safe enough. Monaco is so twisty the cars it doesn't matter- this track is more like monza.

There's one thing I can say for sure to be wrong it that proposal, the cars won't go straight from the bridge to JFK Blvd, but they'll use Pershing Road/County Road 682, that later joins JFK Blvd, like Saward wrote. The slope would be too steep, just look at this pic.

Posted Image

So, the section on JFK isn't that long as it looks on the Guardian proposal. But the entry of JFK Blvd would be interesting, effectively a chicane after 0.5 km of flat-out, but there would be no pace for a run-off. Also, I wonder where the pits would be located. I highly doubt they would use that Guardian proposal, there would be an almost 2 km flat-out section, so I think it's more likely that they'll use the earlier proposal, where the straight ends with two 90 degs. With that "two 90 degs" proposal, thet pits might be located on the car parks inside the track, close to the railway station. But in the Guardian proposal, I think it's more difficult to accommodate the pits, those same car parks could be used again, but the pit lane would be turning. Also, in the Guardian proposal, maybe the pit entry would be too fast.

#414 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 15:25

What do you guys think about the television broadcast in the US? I don't want to start a networking debate, but I think 2012 and 2013 are excellent opportunities for US television to embrace Formula 1. By 2013 we could have two US GPs, with one in the NYC area.

Personally, I'd love to see another network take a stab at it. I wonder if ESPN put enough resources into it if they could broadcast the US GPs. If done right I think something like this could really boost F1s profile over here. What we can't have is FOX broadcasting the race only to go on the air as the cars leave the grid. This event should really get some support from within the US.

...and now that it's been mentioned, I might have to bring my own shelter to the race.

Welp, considering who owns Sky and Speed, I would be very surprised to see it primarily on a non Murdoch network.

#415 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 15:34

@SuperSoft: Please don't bring the Fox News discourse into the topic, it can only result in a huge derail.

Please, bring it in.

We from outside USA wanna get involved in the current american political/economical debate. :D

#416 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 15:53

Welp, considering who owns Sky and Speed, I would be very surprised to see it primarily on a non Murdoch network.

Oh.

So this means that our only hope is that the few people in that organization who car about the sport have their say? This years handling of the Canadian GP on FOX was absolutely terrible. It would be a shame for the same to happen upon F1's return to the US.

I'll be attending this GP anyway, but it really would be shameful to waste this opportunity to develop an interest for F1 in the US.

Edited by T-Mobile, 25 October 2011 - 15:54.

#417 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:09

This is big for Jersey.
Now they'll be recognized for something other than Snookie,the Situation, and the crazy housewives.

Another street circuit? ): I don't like it!

#418 August

August

• 2,054 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:28

Races in US time zones can make F1 more appealing to US people. In the future there might be six races, two in USA, one in Canada, Brazil and maybe Mexico and Argentina too. US races help to promote F1 to US people and offer them a good chance to visit a race, making F1 even more interesting for them.

#419 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 973 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:47

I can't see both US races surviving. All the corporates will go to New Jersey, and probably the majority of the international visitors as well.

Personally, I'd like to see the US Grand Prix shared between Austin and New Jersey as they do in Germany.

Advertisement

#420 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:52

Jersey would be in competition with Montreal more than Austin.

#421 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 973 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:56

True, fair point.

To be honest I'd prefer them to go to Mexico and Argentina first to build up the package of races in the US time zone, as already discussed. I do have reservations about any country hosting more than one race when it means somewhere else is going to miss out.

#422 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,433 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 17:36

I've just gone through Google street view along the proposed circuit of the track. It goes directly in front of the North Hudson sewage works. Hardly glamorous. There's some pretty ugly buildings along the way as well. Nice views of NYC though.

#423 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,867 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 17:51

The Boss was right - racing in the street in New Jersey. Something that has been in Bernie's book of dreams for years. Better days for F1 - just a shame that there isn't a driver who was born in the USA. I wonder how successful it will be. Will the locals understand that you can look (but you better not touch)? Can we expect an incident on 57th Street or just a Tenth Avenue freeze-out? Perhaps we will need pit stops to achieve the E Street shuffle. Will Lewis finish second in his silver palomino - or prove that he is tougher than the rest and finish one step up on the podium? Let's hope the race isn't delayed by Montreal-style rain or it may finish in darkness on the edge of town. After that there will be only one question to ask - does this bus stop at 82nd Street? If not you'll be facing a long walk home.

Edited by Amphicar, 25 October 2011 - 17:51.

#424 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:00

LOL! Well done Amphicar.

So, does anybody know when this "press conference" is due to take place. I can't find anything on any of the local news sites.

#425 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:01

LOL! Well done Amphicar.

So, does anybody know when this "press conference" is due to take place. I can't find anything on any of the local news sites.

Now! :wave:

http://stream.speedt...m/breaking-news

But i am just getting an error... :well:

#426 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 428 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:02

Now! :wave:

http://stream.speedt...m/breaking-news

But i am just getting an error... :well:

Same here. I had the title card on loop then it all went belly up at 7PM (BST).

#427 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:05

The Boss was right - racing in the street in New Jersey. Something that has been in Bernie's book of dreams for years. Better days for F1 - just a shame that there isn't a driver who was born in the USA. I wonder how successful it will be. Will the locals understand that you can look (but you better not touch)? Can we expect an incident on 57th Street or just a Tenth Avenue freeze-out? Perhaps we will need pit stops to achieve the E Street shuffle. Will Lewis finish second in his silver palomino - or prove that he is tougher than the rest and finish one step up on the podium? Let's hope the race isn't delayed by Montreal-style rain or it may finish in darkness on the edge of town. After that there will be only one question to ask - does this bus stop at 82nd Street? If not you'll be facing a long walk home.

I think this is my favourite post on any forum, ever. :up:

#428 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED

• 8,097 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:05

This is big for Jersey.
Now they'll be recognized for something other than Snookie,the Situation, and the crazy housewives.

Another street circuit? ): I don't like it!

We're gonna have a situation at the GP :D

#429 Barky

Barky

• 67 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:17

Jalopnik: "New Jersey F1 Grand Prix of America: The Official Track Layout"

Yup, it turns out, from this first shot from the official press conference that's about to start, that we were absolutely correct about the layout of the New Jersey F1 race course. And here it is.
The 2013 Grand Prix of America is a road course between Weehawken and West New York, New Jersey, and it'll be 3.1 miles (approximately). Heck, we were even pretty damn close in our prediction of where the pits would be.

More to come shortly from the press conference.

Heck, we even hear New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is even there. And when Chris Christie's around, then you just know it's gonna be a party, right?

UPDATE: Here's the first official concept sketch of what it'll look like. I'm getting excited just thinking about it. What do you think? Amazing looking or what?

UPDATE 2: We're told that the race will not use any public funds or incentives to make it happen.

UPDATE 3: I didn't know Ellis Island was part of New Jersey — did you?

Photo Credit: to J.F. Musial!

#430 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 428 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:21

Thanks for the link.

#431 August

August

• 2,054 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:25

I can't see both US races surviving. All the corporates will go to New Jersey, and probably the majority of the international visitors as well.

Personally, I'd like to see the US Grand Prix shared between Austin and New Jersey as they do in Germany.

Two US races of course creates competition between venues but USA is a big country, so two races isn't IMO a problem. For some US people the cheapest option may be to go to Montreal, so there's competition between three venues. It's true that corporates probably go to New Jersey, and that's why going to Texas was a mistake. I think it would've been best for F1 to go to Long Beach. Grand Prix of Long Beach is a classic event close to LA and I think west coast corporates would've gone there. A problem might have been that IndyCar would've been bigger thing at Long Beach and I don't think their organizers would've liked to abandon IndyCar for less popular F1. So, after Long Beach I think circuit close to NY is the best place for F1. It has potential to become a big thing. But Austin, I think it'd be better to have another US race on west coast than in Texas but anyway I think it's good to have two US races.

#432 TheSaltire

TheSaltire

• 1,326 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:29

First two official pictures...

Circuit Overview -- http://twitpic.com/75oy3b
Turn 1 complex -- http://twitpic.com/75p1vc

It will be built by Tilke

#433 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,476 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:36

Looks good. Hope they ditch Valencia.

#434 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:40

Shanghai a street circuit? No sir.

#435 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:40

I'm at work and can't listen. I can't read lips either. :(

#436 katmen

katmen

• 570 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:45

hmm i like it, what about possibility, that circuit could be shared with indycar gp?

#437 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:47

#F1 So a 'Grand Prix of America' at Port Imperial in NJ has been formally confirmed with a 10-year-deal starting June 2013

https://twitter.com/#!/adamcooperf1/sta...904452211097600

https://twitter.com/#!/adamcooperf1/sta...904930579853313

Edited by Alx09, 25 October 2011 - 18:48.

#438 August

August

• 2,054 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:49

hmm i like it, what about possibility, that circuit could be shared with indycar gp?

No way, in USA that'd mean F1 would be a support event.

#439 pRy

pRy

• 10,858 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:52

Looks similar to albert park.

Advertisement

#440 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:54

No way, in USA that'd mean F1 would be a support event.

he doesn't mean shared on the same day, just that maybe they can also run an indycar race there too

#441 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,151 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:55

And, as usual, no one mics the media members so we can't hear their questions (on SPEED I keep hearing some sports talk radio discussing the World Series every time they cut to media questions!).

But, they seem to keep asking "Is it safe?"

#442 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,681 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:56

Looks similar to albert park.

Looks similar to the proposed circuit in Sochi to me.

Edited by midgrid, 25 October 2011 - 18:57.

#443 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:56

The only issue that matters is the sanction fee. Where are they coming up with the money for that...

#444 Gyan

Gyan

• 833 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:00

Not a lot of run off areas. Monaco + Albert Park for me.

#445 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:00

So which race will make way for this one then? Does anyone have a list of when the current circuits on the 2011 have their contracts expired?

#446 August

August

• 2,054 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:01

he doesn't mean shared on the same day, just that maybe they can also run an indycar race there too

Yet, if there were also an IndyCar race, F1 would be a No2 event for NJ.

#447 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:04

First two official pictures...

Circuit Overview -- http://twitpic.com/75oy3b
Turn 1 complex -- http://twitpic.com/75p1vc

It will be built by Tilke

Monaco has Swimming pool section Stands looking towards Sea, not towards Land. How could American so silly to allow Tilke to place Grand Stand On the side of Hudson, Completely blocking the view towards Mid Manhattan. There should be NO Grand Stand on the east of the track there. Retard...

#448 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,049 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:07

Because you can see the Manhattan skyline for free, people are paying money to sit in those seats and see race cars.

#449 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:08

The only issue that matters is the sanction fee. Where are they coming up with the money for that...

Maybe a similar deal as Austin where money comes from a state fund and is offset by increased tourism/sales tax income?

#450 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:11

Because you can see the Manhattan skyline for free, people are paying money to sit in those seats and see race cars.

Not the rest of 10 million on the TV boy.