Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#4951 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 20:45

Great drive by him, but he's still a complete arsehole

You may not like him but there's no need to make idiotic flaming comments like this.

Advertisement

#4952 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 20:49

Indeed!

We were discussing this on another thread yesterday - aren't they forced to speak English on their radio communications?
Even in Italian, I think any moron can still understand words like 'fantastico' or whatever other adjective Stefno might use :)
Alonso is one of the less hysterical guys on the radio when he wins and after Vettel and Hamilton's 'Woo-hoo!' kind of noises or listening to Jenson as if he's screaming underwater in a swimming pool through 2009, we should get to hear Fernando too!

#4953 maleinblack

maleinblack

• 36 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 20:51

Felipe is there too ;)

Must have been a team order for Felipe to be present for the picture.;)

#4954 Titov

Titov

• 120 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 20:53

Fantastic racing from Fernando, flawless weekend, superb quali and todays victory AMAZING! P1, F-lap, WIN!

BRAVO Nando, BRAVO Ferrari!!!

Exciting GP overall!!!

PS
We have some thrilling races ahead of us guys!

#4955 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 21:10

Must have been a team order for Felipe to be present for the picture.;)

After all, he is a Ferrari employee, so I believe he will be happy that Ferrari won. Of course, he would have been happier if it was him who won.

#4956 Maestro

Maestro

• 25 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 21:37

After all, he is a Ferrari employee, so I believe he will be happy that Ferrari won. Of course, he would have been happier if it was him who won.

Yeah and Fernando is the employee of the year :rotfl: :clap:

Edited by Maestro, 26 September 2010 - 21:38.

#4957 exmayol

exmayol

• 555 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:11

Great drive there by Fernando! I wonder what Alono haters got to say these days...

#4958 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:39

I¨m not a hater, nor a fan, but what a drive yesterday...
That was a drive of a champion, reminded me of a certain Alonso back in 2006., when he defended fiercely at Ottodrome, against a certain 7 times WC, without a single mistake, with only one goal in his mind.

#4959 jonathanknevels

jonathanknevels

• 205 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:50

That was a drive of a champion, reminded me of a certain Alonso back in 2006., when he defended fiercely at Ottodrome, against a certain 7 times WC, without a single mistake, with only one goal in his mind.

Alonso did make 1 mistake :) On the restart he missed the last chicane :) but beside that : 2 hours of fantastic racing !!

Advertisement

#4960 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,578 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:55

Absolutely agreed :up:

He was awesome this wknd. Awesome. It's not often we see the driver transcend the car, but I think that's exactly what we just witnessed. Four more like that please. :)

#4961 Alondra

Alondra

• 162 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:38

Just want to see the next 4 races with an impecable Alonso to bring the title home. Two more wins will do it.

For Ferrari, for Alonso and for every Ferrari supporter around the world that feels the red prancing horse is truly magical indeed.

#4962 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:10

That was one of the best races ive ever seen Fernando drive

#4963 Owen

Owen

• 10,771 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:12

That was one of the best races ive ever seen Fernando drive

:up: He's had a lot of stick this year but he's done his talking on the track. Great drive.

#4964 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:14

Indeed, he was relentless, won in the (slightly) inferior car and never made a mistake, what a drive

#4965 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 241 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:58

Fantastic today. Alonso really hooked it up. I was impressed in Q2 when he was called in to box, he responded that he is going to set a laptime, then the pit guy agreed. Leadership there. Fernando has his demons sometimes, but when he's on his game, he is an irrisistable force. :up: Awesome performance putting a slower car on pole.

I thought he asked whether he will have another chance to set a lap after the engine mapping but absolutely a great weekend from Fernando. He keeps this up and Ferrari engines keep running (knocking wood), we will have ourselves a 3 times WDC and number 1 on the red car next year guys. :wave:

Edited by kissTheApex, 27 September 2010 - 12:59.

#4966 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 13:44

Martin Brundle: "Alonso has been brilliant all weekend, absolutely brilliant". "A driver not always easy to love, but very easy to admire".

#4967 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,556 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 13:52

Alonso owned the weekend. A Champion's drive.

#4968 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,786 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 13:56

100% agree, drive of a champion

#4969 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,205 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 17:15

That was indeed a great drive, as JackTorrance said; constant threat and pressure from Vettel.

This was also the first time Alonso had a 'perfect weekend'; pole position, fastest lap, win and lead throughout - joining a group of now 21 drivers who have done so; Jim Clark did it eight times, Alberto Ascari five times, and Michael Schumacher also managed to get five of those 'perfect weekends'. The last time this happened was with Michael Schumacher in Hungary in 2004. :up:

That puts the magnificence of Jim Clark into perspective! Eight times!

Fernando has now also joined the elite club of drivers with a quarter century wins and more - Clark, Lauda, Stewart, Mansell, Senna, Prost and Schumacher.
IMHO he will go on to have more wins than Mansell, if he can even conquer Senna and Prost remains to be seen. Yet, Fernando is on the best way to become one of the all-time greats of the sport now.

#4970 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 17:39

93 points out of a possible 125 with 1 DNF in the last 5 races. Has to be the run of the season considering the amount of pressure.

#4971 KavB

KavB

• 1,149 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 17:54

Fernando has now also joined the elite club of drivers with a quarter century wins and more - Clark, Lauda, Stewart, Mansell, Senna, Prost and Schumacher.
IMHO he will go on to have more wins than Mansell, if he can even conquer Senna and Prost remains to be seen. Yet, Fernando is on the best way to become one of the all-time greats of the sport now.

I think he can reach Senna's tally if he stays in the sport for atleast another 5 years (In a competitive Ferrari of course). He would just need around 3 wins per season to get there :)

Stunning drive by Alonso. Absolutely perfect. Vettel did a fantastic job as well but Alonso was just unbeatable. It is outstanding to think that those two were driving to near perfection for two hours at a circuit which not only punishes you for the slightest mistake, but pushes your body to the limit. :up: :up:

#4972 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 19:12

93 points out of a possible 125 with 1 DNF in the last 5 races. Has to be the run of the season considering the amount of pressure.

No doubt. :smoking:

#4973 zeph

zeph

• 767 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 19:44

But the best thing of all is that the bashers have been unconventionally silent as off late! :D

#4974 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,271 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 19:52

But the best thing of all is that the bashers have been unconventionally silent as off late! :D

I think a Grand Chelem in the second fastest car might have helped. I was bored at work and the only website I am allowed to look at was the BBC. Had a peek at their forum, and Alonso was unusually getting a lot of praise.

#4975 P123

P123

• 8,708 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 20:27

Agreed. That performance was reminiscent of his Renault championship winning days, which is ominous for the rest of them! Great drive.

#4976 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,205 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 21:59

Alonso is one of the less hysterical guys on the radio when he wins and after Vettel and Hamilton's 'Woo-hoo!' kind of noises or listening to Jenson as if he's screaming underwater in a swimming pool through 2009, we should get to hear Fernando too!

:lol:

You are spot on, topical (or with other words, you are topical!): I found these wooohoooo celebrations of Vettel and Hamilton too much, definitely scripted and staged, totally unconvincing. Button's underwater screams are totally out of character - imagine how much it suits the Jenson persona you know...

So Fernando cannot be forced to do such ridiculous noises on the radio, he rather prefers his characteristic victory celebrations posturing on the car - here we can see that it is totally him.
So concerning originality and authenticity Fernando gets a 10, Lewis, Sebastian and Jenson a 1.

(Isn't Mark also screaming?)

#4977 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 22:11

Alonso was screaming just as frantically as the others in his Renault days. Also, he could go on for minutes ranting in Spanish about drivers that are in his way. Some people call that arrogant but they dont understand the passion of a latino man. :)

#4978 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,205 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 22:13

Alonso was screaming just as frantically as the others in his Renault days. Also, he could go on for minutes ranting in Spanish about drivers that are in his way. Some people call that arrogant but they dont understand the passion of a latino man. :)

So that means they are basically all screaming, but as Fernando is screaming now in Italiano they don't put it on the world feed... :lol:

#4979 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 23:38

Martin Brundle: "Alonso has been brilliant all weekend, absolutely brilliant". "A driver not always easy to love, but very easy to admire".

That's spot on. You may not like him, and I don't, but if you have any apreciation for F1 at all, it's impossible not to admire his performance yesterday.

Advertisement

#4980 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,140 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:13

Im going to have a heart attack if we go to Abu Dhabi with 5 drivers still in contention of the WDC. Its going to be one of the greatest seasons.

#4981 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 357 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:49

Im going to have a heart attack if we go to Abu Dhabi with 5 drivers still in contention of the WDC. Its going to be one of the greatest seasons.

:up:
Vettel --> little mistake on Qualy and gets P5, and stucks behind a button in the race.
First Lap incident -> LH crashes into MW :drunk: : LH->DNF due a broken Mc ; MW -> P8 after 4 pitstops to "optimize" his strategy
Button ---> Button? what button?
FA -> WDC :clap:

just kidding mates, not take my post serious :lol:

Edited by pikamoku, 28 September 2010 - 06:52.

#4982 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:58

Yeah, it could be one for the ages. But that's F1 for you: just when you think you got this thing figured, it springs one of these seasons. The races are great fun, but it's the season long battle for the world championship that gives it the tension. F1 is a long-game sport. 2010 could go to any one of them, in some ways it's reminiscent of 1986. :) Bring it on.. I love this stuff. :up:

#4983 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:38

If Fernando stays fit and healthy and Ferrari provide him with a reasonable car I think he can overtake Senna's number of wins - I mean, 5 more years with an average of 4 wins a season would see him easily do it. Still, you never know what can happen in F1. We will see.

#4984 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:45

Alonso tends to rant and rave when he's frustrated by other drivers, which I find kind of funny, though understand why it annoys some people. But he tends to be calmer on the radio when he wins or especially gets pole position (compare to Vettel, who seems to react to pole as if it's a victory - will he ever learn?).
One exception: Winning the constructors championship in 2005 (or 06?) where he sang 'we are the champions' - could have done without that. Seems to be popular with other drivers too, though...

#4985 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,414 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:40

Posted Image

Another 10 like in Italy I guess.

#4986 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:52

That's spot on. You may not like him, and I don't, but if you have any apreciation for F1 at all, it's impossible not to admire his performance yesterday.

Well, Im glad people can appreciate Fernandos performance. I just dont get Brundles wordings that he might not be always so easy to love. For me, he's always been easy to love.

Fierce guy with a lot of passion. And hes always polite.

Some people love to say, like Brundle, that he isnt always so lovable, but its telling that they always stop short saying that. Theres no substantial argument.

Hes the guy who schooled Hamilton, then had to have FIA protection for wrong tyre pressures, and after that never slated anyone.

Alonso is simply the model gentleman, and in ability and skills right at the top.

Hes bound to win many, many championships.
:up:

#4987 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,140 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:32

Vettel: 1. "Yes baby yes, yes, yes.........." :rotfl:
2." We will show them " Ooohh scary

Alonso: "Thank you guys, thank you"

Edited by vivian, 30 September 2010 - 06:34.

#4988 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:39

Great drive there by Fernando! I wonder what Alono haters got to say these days...

That Kimi would have won the championship by now or that Alonso got gifted his points.

#4989 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:25

That Kimi would have won the championship by now or that Alonso got gifted his points.

Or that the F10 it's been the best car this season

#4990 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:54

Or that the F10 it's been the best car this season

You guys really need to leave this Kimi thing behind, in case you didn't noticed most of the so-called Alonso haters are not only some Kimi fans, look closely and you will see some Hamilton fanboys stirring thing up in some threads.

P.S. to all of you Alonso fans and some fellow Kimi fans, take a look at Alonso and Kimi (even after the Alonso to Ferrari was announced in Suzuka), they've always appreciated each other and had respect towards one another in all these years.

#4991 prty

prty

• 5,219 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:44

Vettel: 1. "Yes baby yes, yes, yes.........." :rotfl:
2." We will show them " Ooohh scary

Alonso: "Thank you guys, thank you"

I find it funny how Marc Gené is so annoyed by Vettel that everytime someone that is not Vettel gets a pole position, he goes out of nowhere like "see, had it been Vettel, he would be all shouting and fingers and taunting" and then to compensate goes "...but it's normal, he's still a boy and has to mature". :lol:

#4992 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:57

You guys really need to leave this Kimi thing behind, in case you didn't noticed most of the so-called Alonso haters are not only some Kimi fans, look closely and you will see some Hamilton fanboys stirring thing up in some threads.

P.S. to all of you Alonso fans and some fellow Kimi fans, take a look at Alonso and Kimi (even after the Alonso to Ferrari was announced in Suzuka), they've always appreciated each other and had respect towards one another in all these years.

We were not saying anything mean to Kimi himself but what they Kimi fans would come up with this time :up:

Kimi is overrated but cool, I liked him.

#4993 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:05

You are absolutely spot on.

In my experience, Kimi fans and Alonso fans never had any problem until last year, when Kimi got dropped and a gang of Kimi fans went ballistic and begun hitting left, right and center. Kimi is as unpredictable as he is cool. I don't think that there is an objective reason why sometimes he seems to be on fire and why other times it seems he can't be bothered. And, by the way, I have never read any plausible explanation of that phenomenon, either. Nevertheless, that group of fans begun looking for reasons for his performance on track (and they found the new suspension system as an objective explanation of the bad performance of Kimi during the first part of the season, and his good results during the second half). Frankly, that argument I can't understand, because it would seem that Ferrari was deliberately hurting one of his drivers for no good reason.

Then they looked for a reason for the constant flip-flopping of Raikkonen on whether he would be driving on F1 or on WRC and they found it in the evil ways of Ferrari and Santander and how they needed an Spanish driver for marketing reasons, and how dirty money explained why Raikkonen was substituted for a good, but lesser, driver as Alonso. In my opinion, it was easier to explain Raikkonen situation the fact that the Robertsons were moving their merchandise in the market and were trying to maximize Kimi's returns (something that is happening again this year, or so it seems).

In any case, the anti Alonso-Santander-Ferrari pitch by a reduced, but very vocal, faction of Kimi fans become almost unbearable and that is why, in my opinion, some of Alonso fans are upset with some Kimi fans, but not with Kimi himself.

#4994 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:15

To me the annoyance is that some think Alonso is better than Raikkonen, and that Ferrari dropping him is proof of that.

My opinion is that they are both pretty evenly matched (illustrated by their many on track battles) and the Ferrari decision is purely a commercial one (to get Santander) or they never would have paid Raikkonen off to get Alonso on a year early (it just doesn't make good business sense).

It's made pretty obvious by the fact Santander only signed with McLaren once they had got Alonso - and only stayed on board when they realised that Lewis Hamilton was a great way into the UK banking market.

#4995 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,205 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:42

....and they would have been a dream team, IMHO.

Kimi definitely challenging Fernando for pace, but not political - would have been quite outrageous!!!

#4996 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:45

To me the annoyance is that some think Alonso is better than Raikkonen, and that Ferrari dropping him is proof of that.

My opinion is that they are both pretty evenly matched (illustrated by their many on track battles) and the Ferrari decision is purely a commercial one (to get Santander) or they never would have paid Raikkonen off to get Alonso on a year early (it just doesn't make good business sense).

It's made pretty obvious by the fact Santander only signed with McLaren once they had got Alonso - and only stayed on board when they realised that Lewis Hamilton was a great way into the UK banking market.

From what I have seen Alonso is better than Raikonnen. He is just a much more complete package.

#4997 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:56

From what I have seen Alonso is better than Raikonnen. He is just a much more complete package.

But then there are negatives like his general attitude and need to be the central focus of a team - if you weigh up the positives and negatives they both end up quite even.

#4998 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 13:02

Isn't there another thread about this?

Do the Kimi people have to soil every darn thread?

#4999 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 13:09

Can we have less Kimi and more Alonso in this thread please. There ARE other threads which deal with the replacement issue and you should take the conversation there please.

Advertisement

#5000 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 13:11

Isn't there another thread about this?

Do the Kimi people have to soil every darn thread?

Thanks, so my post soils the thread yet yours is so informative and useful.

If you actually took the time to read it (if you even can) then you'll see what I said was fairly balanced, if you wish to disagree with anything, feel free to do so in an equally balanced manner.

It seems you want the Fernando Alonso thread to be somewhere people just come on and go "wow Fernando is g0d, don't we all love him" - I'm sorry but I don't really see any point in reading that thread.