Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#5051 as65p

as65p

• 17,300 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:29

It doesn't sound like the gearbox change has anything to do with his crash though.

Indeed, it appears that maybe not. I hope some journos ask McLaren for a definitive answer if it was the friday (crash) gearbox or not.

If not, then it's really rotten luck for Hamilton.

Advertisement

#5052 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:42

I just hope Fernando takes it calmly. I prefer him pushing at 95% and driving safe than at 105% and going off the track several times (and thus crashing..)

#5053 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:46

I hope Alonso has a flawless qualifying tomorrow, especially if it's wet as one mistake can hurt the championship chances! I will be praying for him, as after 2 great victories it seems he might be due for a bad one again... lets hope it will be another podium :wave:

#5054 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:58

Indeed, it appears that maybe not. I hope some journos ask McLaren for a definitive answer if it was the friday (crash) gearbox or not.

If not, then it's really rotten luck for Hamilton.

It's the gearbox which he crashed with Webber. The gearbox is from Spa and having only 1.5 races they decided to keep it for Japan also, to have the new gearbox for only the last 3 races. McLaren judged rightly, but it came badly... I think Lewis damaged this in that collision with Webber....

#5055 SvenF1

SvenF1

• 143 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 13:02

I just hope Fernando takes it calmly. I prefer him pushing at 95% and driving safe than at 105% and going off the track several times (and thus crashing..)

Fernando can only do 95% without crashing repeatedly? Man that Ferrari must be dominant car for him to win.

#5056 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,476 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 13:18

Its nice to have a bit of a cushion to take it easy, but Alonso is perfectly capable of handling massive pressure and not making mistakes.

#5057 Alondra

Alondra

• 131 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:42

Alonso's minimum goal was podium in Suzuka. He got it.

:) :love: :D

#5058 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 370 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:54

Alonso's results in the past few races have eerily been similar to Kimi's in 07.

1-2-Ret-1-1-3, with 3 races to go. And if he makes good on his "podiums in all the remaining races" goal, then it would be 8 podiums and 1 retirement in the last 9. Yeow. Add to that another similarity in that there are only 3 contenders now, and the 2 in front of him are teammates still clawing at each other.

He could just pull this one off.

#5059 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:19

Before anything, what's up with the starts?, they need to do something with this. Good starts could be very important in the next races if the bulls are in front of us.

Magnific race, today with this car, 3rd was the best result and he nailed it. Very good race pace, always close to the bulls, is hard to believe. Good recovery move on Button at the beginning, but as I said, the starts are a big problem. So far he is doing a fantastic job, but is going to be hard to win the WDC if nothing happend to the Red Bulls.

Advertisement

#5060 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:22

I am not so impressed by today, and I think Hamilton would have had him were it not for the gearbox problem, but it is still great to see him up there!

Nevertheless, I would put my money on RBR for the titles this year.

#5061 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:27

The old fox still owning the last 2 chicanes here as always... Well done :up:

#5062 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:29

I am not so impressed by today, and I think Hamilton would have had him were it not for the gearbox problem, but it is still great to see him up there!

Hamilton could never touch Alonso today. He would ended up blowing the car, the tires or both. (actually, he blew his tranny)

Edited by fabr68, 10 October 2010 - 08:29.

#5063 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:30

Damage control for Alonso and Ferrari :up:

Korea should suit the F10 pretty well!

#5064 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:33

Considering that the F10 was clearly the 3rd best car in Suzuka, I am happy with the result :)

#5065 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:35

Damage control for Alonso and Ferrari :up:

Korea should suit the F10 pretty well!

Yup. Lots of point and squirt parts. Lots of braking areas too where the F10 is the class of the field. Bring on them Red Bulls :smoking:

#5066 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:56

Ferrari needs to improve on starts... Alonso is having a lot of awful starts this year...
Massa not helping Alonso either...

#5067 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:58

Considering that the F10 was clearly the 3rd best car in Suzuka, I am happy with the result :)

Oh, I'm happy alright! I predicted the podium right for once. I agree that 3rd was the best possible result today.

Ferrari needs to improve on starts... Alonso is having a lot of awful starts this year...

Indeed, what's up with that?

Edited by zeph, 10 October 2010 - 08:59.

#5068 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,123 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:05

Massa not helping Alonso either...

It is surprising that Ferrari have this problem of slow starts and it could hurt them in the crucial final leg of the championship race. That said, if there was one driver who can come through in tough situations then it is Alonso. He made mistakes this year as did the other contenders (JB apart) but the important thing is FA made those mistakes in the early part of the year when the Ferrari was not that quick. Now, with a fast car under him he has been nothing short of brilliant and capitalised on his opponents mistakes. He still could steal this WDC but the Red Bulls look damned fast irrespective of the track.

#5069 portago

portago

• 210 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:36

I still have my money on Alonso, despite the RBRs been vastly superior to all other cars and the McLaren being superior to the Ferrari in most races.

He clearly excels under pressure, as opposed to drivers like Hamilton and Vettel.... The best real contender IMO is Webbo.

#5070 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,509 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:16

He did a great job today. Got the maximum that was possible. I agree that he excels under pressure.

its like he thrives on it.

#5071 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,274 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:56

Fernando has droven well lately, but I am a bit more critical about Fernando's ability to stand pressure.

He does show some of that, like all top drivers nowadays, but there are some side notes in that story that should be included, when one writes a history book.

What he does, he prefers to escape the pressure pressure with all means possible:

First, we have often heard Fernando to say that he is not the favourite, when he has actually been that. He is famous of saying so repeatedly in his Renault years. I mean, he is definitely good enough to be a favorite when he has a winning car. That current speak that podium finishes are enough is just that, when the real facing of the pressure would mark to step in and say, that he's going to win, he is the favourite because of the splendid car and his team's support, and then take the heat if it does fail. That's what Michael has done many times and what Red Bull drivers have done this year, thus giving credit for their team for giving them a superb car in the early stages of this year.

Second, there is that teammate thing: Alonso tries to organise things inside his team so that there wouldn't be too much pressure from that direction. We all remember how Trulli was given a boot whe he started to show some good results. In 2007 he failed to face the pressure that came from his evenly matched teammate. I'm not even going for this year and what he's done to avoid that to happen again.

If those means are what's called handling the pressure, that is what he does well indeed, I'll give him that.

But like I said, I'm not judging him, he's doing well, just bringing up some facts.

#5072 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:14

Yup. Lots of point and squirt parts. Lots of braking areas too where the F10 is the class of the field. Bring on them Red Bulls :smoking:

Looks like the McLaren had more race pace than the F10 at Suzuka. With car performance highly circuit driven, it will be interesting to see where the F10 turns out against the McLaren at the next race. Wonder if engine revs are impacting on the F10 and Alonso's chances.

#5073 kandru

kandru

• 177 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:26

Second, there is that teammate thing: Alonso tries to organise things inside his team so that there wouldn't be too much pressure from that direction. We all remember how Trulli was given a boot whe he started to show some good results.

Trulli was given the boot cos he started to show some rubbish results, so they decided to hire a stronger driver for next year (temporarily substituting him with Villeneuve for the remainder of the season)

#5074 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:55

Fernando has droven well lately, but I am a bit more critical about Fernando's ability to stand pressure.

He does show some of that, like all top drivers nowadays, but there are some side notes in that story that should be included, when one writes a history book.

What he does, he prefers to escape the pressure pressure with all means possible:

First, we have often heard Fernando to say that he is not the favourite, when he has actually been that. He is famous of saying so repeatedly in his Renault years. I mean, he is definitely good enough to be a favorite when he has a winning car. That current speak that podium finishes are enough is just that, when the real facing of the pressure would mark to step in and say, that he's going to win, he is the favourite because of the splendid car and his team's support, and then take the heat if it does fail. That's what Michael has done many times and what Red Bull drivers have done this year, thus giving credit for their team for giving them a superb car in the early stages of this year.

Second, there is that teammate thing: Alonso tries to organise things inside his team so that there wouldn't be too much pressure from that direction. We all remember how Trulli was given a boot whe he started to show some good results. In 2007 he failed to face the pressure that came from his evenly matched teammate. I'm not even going for this year and what he's done to avoid that to happen again.

If those means are what's called handling the pressure, that is what he does well indeed, I'll give him that.

But like I said, I'm not judging him, he's doing well, just bringing up some facts.

Yes, don't bother, it is not worth it.

Especially, if you consider how accurate has been your analysis of how Alonso is deflecting pressure, for example by not saying, right after the disasters of Valencia and Silverstone, when he was a distant fifth, that he was going to win this thing. No, wait...

#5075 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 13:24

Nobody heard the 'conversation' between Webber and Alonso before the podium?

Webber asked him what the black mourning band was for. Alonso looks surprised at it and says "I don't know :well: "

:lol: Ferrari should instruct their drivers better. Looks a bit stupid like this

#5076 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,397 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 13:36

Webber asked him what the black mourning band was for. Alonso looks surprised at it and says "I don't know :well: "

:lol: Ferrari should instruct their drivers better. Looks a bit stupid like this

I didn´t see that way, I saw Alonso´s response more like: "Oh, nothing personal, some italian soldiers killed somewhere". I don´t think Alonso realized he was being filmed in that moment.

#5077 El_Capitn

El_Capitn

• 564 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 13:42

Trulli was given the boot cos he started to show some rubbish results, so they decided to hire a stronger driver for next year (temporarily substituting him with Villeneuve for the remainder of the season)

The funny thing, in a sad way, is that most of the rubbish that is supposed of FA can easily be dispelled by doing a google search.

I sincerely wander what drives a person to state things in a matter-of-fact format, swimming against the "conventional wisdom" current mind you, knowing that it's your distaste for Person X that is really behind your opinion of person X. I mean... whatever happened to "if you're not sure, don't say it"?

Don't let your mouth write checks your a$$ can't cash Man of the race.

Just a thought.

Edited by El_Capitán, 10 October 2010 - 13:44.

#5078 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 14:45

Before the race, some fans were asking him a few questions in LaSexta. One of them asked him: "Is Ferrari what you imagined?" and his response was:

"Much better... Ferrari is much better than I imagined. The truth is that it is an incredible feeling. I have the privilege to race for this team. I have been treated as if I was always in Ferrari. This is by far the best year that I've ever raced."

He also said that Monza was his hardest win this year till the moment, and that Webber is his biggest rival for the WDC because he is leading the points.

#5079 simba

simba

• 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 14:48

great race by fernando!
well deserved 3rd place!
He is still in the title race and in the next races the Ferrari should be nearer to RB!

Edited by simba, 10 October 2010 - 14:49.

Advertisement

#5080 Trust

Trust

• 3,191 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 14:51

He did a great job today. Got the maximum that was possible. I agree that he excels under pressure.

its like he thrives on it.

What pressure? Today he wasn't under any pressure.

#5081 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 15:07

The 5 contenders are, in these last races, under a very high pressure.

#5082 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 15:07

#5083 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 15:33

That's simply not true. :down:

#5084 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,030 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 15:46

it is, re-watch it.

#5085 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 15:47

His words were exactly: "I don't know, some italian military"

#5086 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 15:49

He said: I don't know "something" "something" Italian "something" "something".

Is hard to understand everything he said, I guess the first "I don't know" is because he was thinking in other stuff or maybe he didn't understand Mark's question at first because he clearly said "Italian", so he knew about the sad incident and told Mark, but is hard to understand.

#5087 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 17:35

it is, re-watch it.

It's not, he said something about Italians just after that.

#5088 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 17:42

FA: It's for Massa. :p

Seriously, Massa is 78 pts behind Alonso and even winning all remaining three races while Alonso DNF will alow him to pass him in WDC standings. :down:

#5089 Titov

Titov

• 120 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 17:46

And what is surprising, all showed today that they are able to take the pressure, stay cool and focused.
Solid race for Fernando, no mistakes, he took as much points as he could today. :up:
Fascinating end of THE SEASON for us fans!

#5090 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 16:11

It looks like there is an explanation for the bad start in Suzuka , ECU problems on the formation lap.

"Before the start I was worried. Well, more than worried I was sure I was going to have a bad start because I had a problem in the formation lap, we lost all the data of the ECU and had to decide the clutch position without any reference."

"Antes de la salida estaba muy preocupado. Bueno, más que preocupado, estaba convencido de que iba a salir mal porque tuve un problema en la vuelta de formación, perdimos todos los datos de la centralita y tuvimos que decidir la posición de embrague sin tener ninguna referencia"

http://www.elpais.co...elpepidep_8/Tes

Edited by kosmos, 11 October 2010 - 16:33.

#5091 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 17:37

It looks like there is an explanation for the bad start in Suzuka , ECU problems on the formation lap.
http://www.elpais.co...elpepidep_8/Tes

When your ECU fails just call the provider

Posted Image

I am sure they will be right over it :rotfl:

#5092 figue

figue

• 190 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 17:50

don't know how you'd cope such pressure, but if your engineer came to you and told you your ecu accidentally had reset and didn't know what cluth config had to use for the start of the race I'm pretty sure you'd shattered, and alonso actually managed quite well the first corner under such pressure

#5093 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 19:24

Great performance by Alonso in last couple of races. This is finally Alonso that we used to see in 2005 and 2006. I'm saying that as someone who is regarded as 'Alonso hater', but I cannot deny he's driving great in this part of season.

#5094 topical

topical

• 2,098 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 21:22

A good result for Alonso in Suzuka all things considered but he needs to get in front of Webber at the next race, and ideally a win with possibly a McLaren coming in second, otherwise it's going to be hard to be beat those Red Bulls. 2nds and 3rds will not be enough to win this WDC if Webber and Vettel are taking the victories, and right now it's hard to see anyone else who'll be taking them, especially as Red Bull seem to be reigning in their self destructive tendencies lately.

#5095 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 21:30

A good result for Alonso in Suzuka all things considered but he needs to get in front of Webber at the next race, and ideally a win with possibly a McLaren coming in second, otherwise it's going to be hard to be beat those Red Bulls. 2nds and 3rds will not be enough to win this WDC if Webber and Vettel are taking the victories, and right now it's hard to see anyone else who'll be taking them, especially as Red Bull seem to be reigning in their self destructive tendencies lately.

Indeed, Fernando needs a race where Ferrari and McLaren both beat RBR, Ferrari coming out on top, of course.

A good outcome that would be possible if both McLaren and Ferrari were on top could be:

1. Fernando
2. Massa
3. Hamilton
4. Button
5. Vettel
6. Webber

Which would leave the standings like this:

1, Fernando Alonso (206 + 25 = 231)
2, Mark Webber (220 + 8 = 228)
3, Sebastian Vettel (206 + 10 = 216)
4, Lewis Hamilton (192 +15 = 207)
5, Jenson Button (189 + 12 = 201)
6, Felipe Massa (128 + 18 = 146)

Too much wishful thinking... I know :clap:

#5096 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 21:36

Alonso has obviously been in great shape as of late, but I'm not sure that the Ferrari can keep up with even the McLarens.

Hamilton was really fast last weekend. Had it not been for that gear problem I think he would have challenged Alonso and perhaps passed him.

#5097 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 21:45

Alonso has obviously been in great shape as of late, but I'm not sure that the Ferrari can keep up with even the McLarens.

Hamilton was really fast last weekend. Had it not been for that gear problem I think he would have challenged Alonso and perhaps passed him.

We're bringing an updated difuser to Korea, and next tracks suit well the F10, so hopefully we'll be on top in a couple of them.

We just need to hope that McLarens beat RBR in a race and that we keep doing ok.

#5098 topical

topical

• 2,098 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:44

Indeed, Fernando needs a race where Ferrari and McLaren both beat RBR, Ferrari coming out on top, of course.

A good outcome that would be possible if both McLaren and Ferrari were on top could be:

1. Fernando
2. Massa
3. Hamilton
4. Button
5. Vettel
6. Webber

A 'good' outcome?! I doubt even in his wildest dreams Alonso would dare hope for such a result!
But you're right, now that both Red Bulls are equal/ahead of Alonso, he either needs help from Massa (highly unlikely, apart from possibly in Brazil) or the McLarens (ironic as it is, the driver who probably can do most to help out Alonso right now is Hamilton), or else have to rely on DNFs for Webber AND Vettel, which these days is looking less likely than it did mid season.
I think Korea is the key race. If Alonso can win there then anything can happen in the last two races. If either of the Red Bulls win, I think Alonso is then nearly out out of it, barring freak incidents and it'll just be between Webber and Vettel.

Edited by topical, 13 October 2010 - 07:45.

#5099 as65p

as65p

• 17,300 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:50

I see the Ferrari starts as the biggest worry right now. It's mandatory that Alonso qualifies on the first two rows, but even if he does, there's high chance that he'll lose places into the first corner with the kind of start they produce lately. In Singapore he just got away with it, after defending agressively against Vettel, in Monza Button overtook him, and in Suzuka only Webbers scrap with Button and a bit of opportunistic driving saved him.

Overall there are many other things that can go wrong, but loosing a possible WDC because of sloppy starts would be the most embarassing way.

Advertisement

#5100 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,943 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:55

I see the Ferrari starts as the biggest worry right now. It's mandatory that Alonso qualifies on the first two rows, but even if he does, there's high chance that he'll lose places into the first corner with the kind of start they produce lately. In Singapore he just got away with it, after defending agressively against Vettel, in Monza Button overtook him, and in Suzuka only Webbers scrap with Button and a bit of opportunistic driving saved him.

Overall there are many other things that can go wrong, but loosing a possible WDC because of sloppy starts would be the most embarassing way.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Guys at Maranello really need to get this sorted out asap.