Not of too much importance, but Ross Brawn tips FA for the title :up:

Advertisement

#5152 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 21:25

http://www.jamesalle...ks-of-his-exit/

He also tips Fernando Alonso to win the world championship this year, reiterating the admiration he has for the Spaniard, whom he tried hard to sign for Honda in late 2008.

I would love to see Brawn working with Fernando in the future! :)

#5153 topical

topical

• 2,023 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:27

It's a pity James didn't quote exactly what he said. Would be interesting to know. Maybe one of our Italian-speaking contributors can help out?

#5154 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,737 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:55

He also tips Fernando Alonso to win the world championship this year, reiterating the admiration he has for the Spaniard, whom he tried hard to sign for Honda in late 2008.

I would love to see Brawn working with Fernando in the future! :)

I think Alonso allready had a Ferrari Contract for 2010 by 2008 otherwise maybe hed of been intrested.

#5155 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,113 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:02

It was an interview with La Gazetta dello Sport, ofcourse Ross Brawn will say a Ferrari driver will win it  ;)

#5156 topical

topical

• 2,023 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:23

It was an interview with La Gazetta dello Sport, ofcourse Ross Brawn will say a Ferrari driver will win it ;)

A couple of years ago Brawn also said he thought Alonso was the best driver on the grid. I don't think it's for the Italian media, he just knows talent when he sees it (probably why he wasn't too bothered to let Button go)  ;)

#5157 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:14

It was an interview with La Gazetta dello Sport, ofcourse Ross Brawn will say a Ferrari driver will win it ;)

I agree that actions speak louder than words. That's why he tried to sign him for 2009 :)

#5158 as65p

as65p

• 16,624 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:30

I agree that actions speak louder than words. That's why he tried to sign him for 2009 :)

No, no, haven't you payed attention? Nobody ever wants to sign Alonso, nobody likes him, he's got no friends and drives worse than rookies. Heaven knows with what dark secret he was able to force LdM giving him a car.

:)

#5159 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,113 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:15

A couple of years ago Brawn also said he thought Alonso was the best driver on the grid. I don't think it's for the Italian media, he just knows talent when he sees it (probably why he wasn't too bothered to let Button go) ;)

Alonso IS the best driver on the grid, no doubt about that. I was just talking about him saying that Alonso would win the WDC this year...

Advertisement

#5160 placebo76

placebo76

• 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:26

No, no, haven't you payed attention? Nobody ever wants to sign Alonso, nobody likes him, he's got no friends and drives worse than rookies. Heaven knows with what dark secret he was able to force LdM giving him a car.

:)

Come on, that's an easy question. We all know Santader bought him a seat in Ferrari. What else? :smoking:

#5161 as65p

as65p

• 16,624 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:31

Come on, that's an easy question. We all know Santader bought him a seat in Ferrari. What else? :smoking:

Of course, silly me. :)

#5162 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:45

Ross Brawn in 2008

"My view is that he’s the best driver in Formula One at the moment and we’re happy to wait and hope that he makes a positive decision for us."

"The reason I think he’s the best driver in Formula One is balance of experience and ability," said Brawn, who joined Honda from Ferrari last year.

"To me there are three very quick drivers who have established themselves so far in Formula One," said Brawn, who did not list either of his team’s two current ones, Brazilian Rubens Barrichello and Button.

"There’s (McLaren’s) Lewis (Hamilton), there’s (Ferrari’s) Kimi (Raikkonen) and Fernando. And (Ferrari’s) Felipe (Massa) is coming up very quickly and closely behind."

"If you look at those three drivers for a team in our position, where we have a strong rebuilding process going on, then we need a driver with strong development capacity, experience and absolute speed," said Brawn. "For me, Fernando has all of those things.

"So that’s why I think he’s the best driver in Formula One, because he has a combination of those things.

"Lewis is clearly very quick, a super guy but doesn’t have the experience yet. Kimi doesn’t have the reputation of being a person who can develop a car strongly but is very quick."

Button should thank Alonso that he refused Brawn's offer  ;)

#5163 as65p

as65p

• 16,624 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 13:07

Button should thank Alonso that he refused Brawn's offer ;)

Yet for Alonso it's not so clear cut. 2009 title surely lost, then again he wouldn't even fight for this years title. All depends how the Ferrari years turn out in the middle and long term.

#5164 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 14:35

Button should thank Alonso that he refused Brawn's offer ;)

You're assuming Button would have gone, or that Fernando would have easily beaten him.
You should have a read of the first few pages of the Jenson / Lewis thread.  ;)

#5165 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 14:49

You're assuming Button would have gone, or that Fernando would have easily beaten him.
You should have a read of the first few pages of the Jenson / Lewis thread. ;)

AlanWake isnt the only one. Button lost his drive thanks to Alonso previously remember. Alonso was more impressive at Minardi than Button was at Benetton.

#5166 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 14:49

AlanWake isnt the only one. Button lost his drive thanks to Alonso previously remember. Alonso was more impressive at Minardi than Button was at Benetton.

The only one what? :confused:

#5167 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 14:56

The only one what? :confused:

Assuming that. Join me in!

#5168 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 14:58

That's fine, I'd expect nothing less. Now go and read the start of the Jenson / Lewis thread.

#5169 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,550 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 14:58

Yet for Alonso it's not so clear cut. 2009 title surely lost, then again he wouldn't even fight for this years title. All depends how the Ferrari years turn out in the middle and long term.

Alonso had his mind set on Ferrari and was prepared to wait. Ferrari wanted Alonso too and went to great lengths to acquire his services as seen with Kimi's dismissal. I still think that Ferrari is Alonso's best bet at multiple title shots something that Brawn GP couldn't offer. The only certainty out of all this though is that Alonso is held in very high regard in the paddock.

#5170 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:16

Assuming that Alonso would have been better than Button at Brawn. Hence I pointed out someone at Benetton already assumed that and it turned out rather well.

#5171 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:24

That's fine, I'd expect nothing less. Now go and read the start of the Jenson / Lewis thread.

I did, people were saying Hamilton would destroy Button... so?

Lewis is not Alonso, you can't compare them for just one season, that would be unfair specially for Fernando who is considered by the drivers themselves the best driver on the grid...

Edited by Massacrator, 21 October 2010 - 15:24.

#5172 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,683 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:28

So it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that people would overestimate how well Alonso would have done if paired up against Button in 2009.

Personally, I think the person who probably missed out the most from Alonso not being at Brawn in 2009 was Sebastien Vettel. You share out those first 7 results between Button and Alonso (rather than 1 taking 100% of them) and I think you have a much tighter WDC with the Red Bull man possibly pipping it.

#5173 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:29

Lewis is not Alonso, you can't compare them for just one season, that would be unfair specially for Fernando who is considered by the drivers themselves the best driver on the grid...

Sure. He would have destroyed Button.

Etc.

#5174 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 16:20

So it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that people would overestimate how well Alonso would have done if paired up against Button in 2009.

Personally, I think the person who probably missed out the most from Alonso not being at Brawn in 2009 was Sebastien Vettel. You share out those first 7 results between Button and Alonso (rather than 1 taking 100% of them) and I think you have a much tighter WDC with the Red Bull man possibly pipping it.

Personally, I think the difference between Fernando and Button is bigger than between Button and Barrichello. But then, again, as yours and as everyone's elses, it is just an opinion.

#5175 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,683 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 17:56

Fair play Massacrator :up: :)

#5176 topical

topical

• 2,023 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 18:18

Alonso had his mind set on Ferrari and was prepared to wait. Ferrari wanted Alonso too and went to great lengths to acquire his services as seen with Kimi's dismissal. I still think that Ferrari is Alonso's best bet at multiple title shots something that Brawn GP couldn't offer. The only certainty out of all this though is that Alonso is held in very high regard in the paddock.

:up: Spot on.

#5177 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 20:17

You should have a read of the first few pages of the Jenson / Lewis thread. ;)

What I meant is that Jenson would have NOT won the WDC with Alonso as teammate.

#5178 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 20:35

Indeed. After leaving Mclaren, he received offers from various F1 teams (Red Bull, Honda, Toyota, etc) but he has always said that Ferrari was the ONLY team he was interested in.

I've never seen him as happy before, so IMO Ferrari IS the best F1 team for him.

#5179 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,680 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 20:38

What I meant is that Jenson would have NOT won the WDC with Alonso as teammate.

same can be said about alonso with button as a team mate

Advertisement

#5180 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 21:03

same can be said about alonso with button as a team mate

Of course, NOBODY KNOWS what would have happened, but I feel Alonso is a better and faster driver than Jenson and could have beaten him and won the WDC with the Brawn.

#5181 simba

simba

• 26 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:43

South Korea seems to fit Alonso.
After the first two FP-sessions, Alonos seems to be in touch.

Maybe he has an opportunity to win, I hope so!

Edited by simba, 22 October 2010 - 07:43.

#5182 as65p

as65p

• 16,624 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:49

Ferrari apparently is in the game, that's all I hoped for at this stage. :up:

#5183 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,873 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:50

I think he will need something "extra" to get the pole, but I'm not worried about that at all, or his race pace for that matter, I'm worried about the start!.

Edited by kosmos, 22 October 2010 - 07:51.

#5184 topical

topical

• 2,023 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:14

A fairly good start for Alonso and at this stage the top three teams look quite closely matched, which can be a good or bad thing - hooking up a lap could get any of the top drivers on pole, but a mistake or two could drop them down to 5th or 6th. Anyway, Ferrari seem to be in the mix which is the main thing.
I too am worried about Alonso's start. With a long run down to the first corner a bad get away could easily lose him two or three places. Let's hope Ferrari have sorted this out.

#5185 robefc

robefc

• 7,952 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:47

I'd say especially for lewis gven he was a rookie :p

#5186 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:36

another reality...

Redbull know, if Vettel crashes or tries a diving overtake on alonso, and they go out, the championship belongs to Webber................

#5187 topical

topical

• 2,023 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:39

another reality...

Redbull know, if Vettel crashes or tries a diving overtake on alonso, and they go out, the championship belongs to Webber................

But Red Bull would also prefer if Vettel wins the championship, so they aren't going to instruct Vettel to do that.

#5188 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 13:32

A fairly good start for Alonso and at this stage the top three teams look quite closely matched, which can be a good or bad thing - hooking up a lap could get any of the top drivers on pole, but a mistake or two could drop them down to 5th or 6th. Anyway, Ferrari seem to be in the mix which is the main thing.
I too am worried about Alonso's start. With a long run down to the first corner a bad get away could easily lose him two or three places. Let's hope Ferrari have sorted this out.

What do you mean by that ? What does Ferrari have to sort out ?

#5189 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 13:37

What do you mean by that ? What does Ferrari have to sort out ?

To adapt the clutch/start system to Fernando's liking.

He used to be the king of the starts @ Renault, and done some decent starts @ McLaren

#5190 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 13:42

To adapt the clutch/start system to Fernando's liking.
He used to be the king of the starts @ Renault, and done some decent starts @ McLaren

Can you elaborate on that ? Any links to any complains by Alonso of the "start system" ? And no, starting was never his forte.

#5191 TigersWood

TigersWood

• 132 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 13:49

It depends on the start system. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that. When the R24 started well he could go from 9th to 3th (USA 2004). If the F10 does not have a particularly great system he will start like anyone else. And if your clutch system breaks on formation lap your start will not be very good.

#5192 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 13:53

It depends on the start system. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that. When the R24 started well he could go from 9th to 3th (USA 2004). If the F10 does not have a particularly great system he will start like anyone else. And if your clutch system breaks on formation lap your start will not be very good.

I didn't realize he had a different "start system" than Massa since Massa has been starting just fine. My mistake.

#5193 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 14:00

Can you elaborate on that ? Any links to any complains by Alonso of the "start system" ? And no, starting was never his forte.

He complained, for example in Suzuka, that their test starts were not being as good as they should.

And YES, his starts were one of the reasons he has won two titles.

#5194 portago

portago

• 210 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 14:08

I didn't realize he had a different "start system" than Massa since Massa has been starting just fine. My mistake.

Of course. Doesn't seem to have given Massa any advantage in the championship, though... :rotfl:

#5195 metz

metz

• 9,587 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 14:09

For the starts, clutch settings are critical.
Vettel has screwed these up several times this year.

#5196 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 14:10

He complained, for example in Suzuka, that their test starts were not being as good as they should.

I must have missed his complains. Do you have any links for it ? I would apreciate it.
I hope you do realize that, at his first stint at Renault, they had a fully automated launch control system ?

Edited by cardin, 22 October 2010 - 14:12.

#5197 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,883 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 14:13

In Suzuka he complained about a technical glitch that he mentioned to Martin Brundle during his grid walk. That's not the same as having a system which is not to his liking.

I certainly have some sympathy with the idea that he is having difficulties with 'something' about the F10, but unless someone has been specific in saying something it's just speculation that Ferrari can do anything to adapt the system towards Alonso.

#5198 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 14:13

Of course. Doesn't seem to have given Massa any advantage in the championship, though... :rotfl:

We are talking about Alonsos's starts. Do you have anything meaningfull to add to the conversation ?

#5199 topical

topical

• 2,023 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 19:09

I had forgotten what a rocket ship that Renault was. Judging from the ubiquitous red front row in many of those clips, I take it most of those races are from 2004? Probably why I forgot - I blanked most of that season out as it was so boring at the very front.
But even in 2005 and 2006 I seem to remember the Renaults as good off the start. So obviously Alonso hasn't got worse at starting - it just depends on the characteristics of the car.

Advertisement

#5200 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 19:17

................and one of the reasons why a common ECU was deemed necessary!