Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#5351 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:31

It's very easy to give more weight to the second part of the season. That's how your brain and your memory works.

Almost all his drives in the second part of the season are very impressive, but let's not forget Fernando's shaky start (rather crucial mistakes at various moments in Melbourne, Shanghai and Monaco and a mediocre race in Turkey).
It's not that there is another driver way above everyone else, but let's keep things in perspective.

All have made their mistakes but Alonso shows to be a team leader. He kept the faith in the team, he motivated them and when the car was good he delivered. And now he rewards them on a personal level and shows that he is thankful to every single man and woman on the team.

I know that this will cause trouble, but I think that this is exactly why Ferrari was right to replace Kimi with Alonso. They got a team leader.

Edited by seahawk, 25 October 2010 - 06:32.

Advertisement

#5352 vtpachyderm

vtpachyderm

• 1,087 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:53

I'm not a fan of his, but credit where credit is due - he's leading the championship with two races to go even considering just how tough he's had it this year. Hat's off to him and Ferrari.

#5353 imightbewrong

imightbewrong

• 267 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:07

I'm not a fan of his, but credit where credit is due - he's leading the championship with two races to go even considering just how tough he's had it this year. Hat's off to him and Ferrari.

Someone looks relieved:
http://motorsport.ne.../031_medium.jpg

#5354 David1976

David1976

• 935 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:24

Alonso wins.... If he doesnt go BANG!

#5355 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:33

Credit to Alonso, he applied the pressure and was in a great position to pick up the pieces. :up:

#5356 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:07

http://pixhost.info/...f/0017cf68.jpeg

Squalo Rosso= Red Shark

#5357 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:36

When someone told him if he was aware that it could be as champion in Brazil if he won there and it was only the fifth Webber, Alonso, funny, replied: "Yes .. And if Red Bull misses his plane to Brazil, too, will be champion. But that's not what we expect "

el pais sport ;)

#5358 prty

prty

• 5,218 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 20:42

Alonso - Stella interview:

#5359 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 21:04

Great video! :up: :up: :up:

All FAns will love it! :)

Advertisement

#5360 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 21:07

"No more radio for the rest of the race please."

I was actually surprised to hear Andrea say that Fernando asks for more info than Michael. We know Michael was very meticulous.

#5361 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 21:44

I love this headline from the British Press :lol:

Fernando Alonso is Prince of Darkness to stake title claim at Korea GP

http://www.mirror.co...15875-22656835/

#5362 NeilMick

NeilMick

• 530 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 21:51

I wouldn't even use that paper to wipe my a** on.

#5363 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,415 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 21:52

That´s what i call shitty journalism.

#5364 Pep

Pep

• 1,046 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 21:57

Alonso has provided some great pit radio moments.

Also some funny ones , like in Australia: "I don't want to know" replying to his engineer ("Hamilton 6 seconds behind..., 4 seconds behind...3 seconds"), when Hamilton was catching up with Alonso very fast, lapping 1 second quicker than him, who was stuck behind Massa.

#5365 sergioschumi

sergioschumi

• 35 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 22:25

Nice video. Would like to know why do they always talk through radio in English, both of them Andrea and Fernando speak italian perfectly. Is it that Alonso is used with English on technical racing speech or is it the FIA asking to "understandable" language through radio team conversations? It has been that way all season, only in italian when celebrating...

I really don't care, i'm spanish and understand both languages, just curious so many times :smoking:

#5366 showtime

showtime

• 2,669 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 22:50

Nice video. Would like to know why do they always talk through radio in English, both of them Andrea and Fernando speak italian perfectly. Is it that Alonso is used with English on technical racing speech or is it the FIA asking to "understandable" language through radio team conversations? It has been that way all season, only in italian when celebrating...

I really don't care, i'm spanish and understand both languages, just curious so many times :smoking:

FIA request seems most logical answer but the radio conversations are also important for other engineers, I don't know how fluent is Dyer's Italian for example.

#5367 showtime

showtime

• 2,669 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 22:55

Taking a look at Darren Heath website I found this entry on his blog from last week:

Numero uno

13th October 2010

I’ve always believed that succeeding in top level sport has as much to do with mental attitude as skill. Formula 1 is no exception.

The greats of our sport have all had a cast iron belief that they are the numero uno of their time.

Generally we might have two or three in the sport at once, but this year we have one and one only: Fernando Alonso.

In my 22 years of covering Formula 1 I don’t think I’ve ever seen a driver who’s so confident of his own ability, and his standing within his sport and team, as the two-time World Champion unquestionably is.

#5368 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:07

you get the feeling he’d sell his wife for an extra point or three!

:drunk:

#5369 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:27

:drunk:

The author is using hyperbole to make a point. Nothing sinister there.

#5370 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:48

I know but there is nicest ways to say what he meant.

#5371 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:09

I know but there is nicest ways to say what he meant.

Well I don't have a problem with what he wrote, but then again I'm not an Alonso fan.

#5372 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 357 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:32

The Mirror article above quoted:

The Spaniard is a villain, of course, in many eyes after cheating in Germany. But he is breathtakingly masterful at the wheel too, as he proved here yesterday.

I dont know what kind o paper is this, but sounds like a funny one. Just kidding.

"The guy is good, but a villain. Shame not brit." :rotfl:

#5373 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,577 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:32

Alonso has definitely found his feet at Ferrari. His dreiving now reminds me so much of the Renault championship years. Smooth, error free, unflappable, and blindingly quick. This is what makes a Champion. I can't help the feeling that had he been on this form from the beginning, the Championship would already be over, despite the RedBull's speed advantage. Now that he's completely at home in the red team, we might see some great stuff from them over these next seasons together. :up:

#5374 simba

simba

• 26 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:33

Taking a look at Darren Heath website I found this entry on his blog from last week:

Generally we might have two or three in the sport at once, but this year we have one and one only: Fernando Alonso.

In my 22 years of covering Formula 1 I don’t think I’ve ever seen a driver who’s so confident of his own ability, and his standing within his sport and team, as the two-time World Champion unquestionably is.

Sure, Michael Schumacher (the first time around) and arguably the greatest ever, Ayrton Senna, had confidence in abundance, but there’s something different about Fernando.

The impression of Darren Heath and some others is the one that i have too.

Fernando Alonso is on his way to become the greatest of all time. (and i am an old-school Senna Fan!)
Chapeau!

#5375 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:06

From the F1 official site:

Korea analysis - Alonso back in the driving seat

A couple of months back many had ruled Fernando Alonso out of the title fight. The Ferrari driver maintained he could still do it and after his faultless drive to the top of the table in Korea - his third win in four races - his doubters are now eating their words. The Spaniard’s brilliance in Yeongam’s testing conditions, combined with a disastrous day for Red Bull, means that with just two rounds to go he heads the standings by 11 points, while in the constructors’ stakes Ferrari now trail second-placed McLaren by only 25.

#5376 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:19

Fernando Alonso is on his way to become the greatest of all time. (and i am an old-school Senna Fan!)

Not sure about him being the greatest of all time, but I am pretty sure that come the end of his career he'll be in the mix with the Sennas, Prosts, Fangios and Schumcahers.

If he wins this WDC, it will be won against 2 current WDCs and one probable future WDC, all in competitive machinery. I suspect that when 2010 is looked back on, the names in the table just below the winner will make it look like a superb achievement.

#5377 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:37

Chapeau!

He's already been around for 10 years and had 157 starts so I don't agree that he will achieve beating Prost's 20th century greatest F1 driver record of 4 WDC and 51 GP's.

#5378 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 655 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:50

Alonso is the best right now.

It's like few years ago with Schumacher.

#5379 prty

prty

• 5,218 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:52

I'm seeing a lot of threads and posts acting like he already won the WDC. He hasn't, and specially if Webber gets Vettel support, things aren't very rosy.

Advertisement

#5380 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:58

He's already been around for 10 years and had 157 starts so I don't agree that he will achieve beating Prost's 20th century greatest F1 driver record of 4 WDC and 51 GP's.

I agree. Although there are many qualities in Alonso that remind me of Prost (The only driver I have ever supportered). It must also be said that Prost always had competitive equipment where Alonso didn't. Prost again had amazing team-mates in Arnaux, Lauda, Rosberg, Senna, Mansell, Alesi and Hill whereas Alonso hasn't.

#5381 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,674 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:04

I agree. Although there are many qualities in Alonso that remind me of Prost (The only driver I have ever supportered). It must also be said that Prost always had competitive equipment where Alonso didn't. Prost again had amazing team-mates in Arnaux, Lauda, Rosberg, Senna, Mansell, Alesi and Hill whereas Alonso hasn't.

So Trulli, Fischella, Hamilton, Massa weren't amazing teammates? They have all looked pretty good when they haven't had Alonso alongside them.

#5382 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:13

So Trulli, Fischella, Hamilton, Massa weren't amazing teammates? They have all looked pretty good when they haven't had Alonso alongside them.

Hamilton has looked pretty amazing when he did.. :p

#5383 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,140 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:14

As much as I support Alonso, no, you cannot compare Fisichella and Trulli (edit: or Hamilton for that matter, at least not yet) with Lauda and Senna. On the other hand, I wouldn't blame Alonso for not wanting team mates on the same level (and I'm not even convinced that this is actually the case). He would not be the only one with this stance by far, and Schumacher's achievements, for example, are not diminished in my reckoning by his history of team mates.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 26 October 2010 - 11:15.

#5384 juandiego

juandiego

• 401 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:20

I've had this discussions too many time. It's the most dominant car of post-MS era in my opinion. Another thing to mention is that MP4-20 had huge problems with tyres in first 5 races of the season, so it wasn't even second fastest at start of season. Plus, MP4-20 had some of most legendary unreliability issues I've ever seen in F1 and could by no means be called anywhere near best.

That's an overstatement. Which car was better is more than debatable. I think everyone agrees that the combo Alonso/R25 resulted better than the Raikkonen/MP4-20 one but what were the drivers or cars roles on that is objectively unassessable. I recall that F1 Racing magazine chose the MP4-20 as the best car of the year. Oddly enough, Kimi was also chosen as best driver of the season and both choices at the same time resulted quite contradictory with the real WDC outcome.

I also think that somewhat Alonso won that WDC in the first three races in which he had already built a gap from Kimi of 19 points. Along the season, that points gap fluctuated up and down in around 10 points but at the end it was quite similar; in the final WDC standings Alonso got 21 points more than Raikkonen (133-112). So all that, from that point on, Alonso/Renault could afford a conservative approach —more reliability at the expense of speed according to the very Renault's statement— whereas McLaren was forced to a riskier one in order to be able of putting their both cars in front of Alonso's to reduce that big WDC points gap.

The crucial factor ended up being that in general Alonso was able to put his car in between Kimi's and his team mate's, Montoya, and kept putting pressure to bear when the McLaren was clearly faster. The R25 didn't seem so capable in Fisichella's hands, often beaten by Button's BAR-Honda, MS's Ferrari and some Toyota or Williams . Let's don't forget that McLaren was able to surpass Renault at the WCC just two races before the end of the season and they didn't win it eventually mainly because Montoya DNFed, by accidents, in both last races whereas Fisichella got 13 very valuable points for Renault; the final WCC standings was: Renault 191 - McLaren 182, with 8 and 10 wins respectively. Very close figures in general as not to call it at least near best, aren't they?

At the end of the day, it all depends on the personal perception you have of the drivers' performance. Some could think that the combo Raikkonen-Montoya was better than Alonso-Fisichella and that was what flattered the McLaren. Others could think, especially grounded on what following years showed, that Alonso was in operative terms as fast as Kimi but considerably more focussed, ambitious, race-crafty and adaptable to more different situations, so capable of yielding more points, and it's precisely this what paid off that year.

Edited by juandiego, 26 October 2010 - 13:13.

#5385 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:28

No. It's not even debatable.

#5386 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 14,283 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:32

Trulli was beating Alonso quite often (and in the points), Fisi was awful - look at how Renault when downhill when Fisi led the team, Hamilton beat Alonso in his rookie year, Massa has come back from an injury and is an unknown quantity - and was roughly the same speed as Kimi who all Alonso fans think was slow?

Edited by se7en_24, 26 October 2010 - 11:32.

#5387 juandiego

juandiego

• 401 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:40

10 years including this season, but he has spent, or wasted, half those years in uncompetitive cars: 2001 Minardi, 2002 Renault test driver, 2003 a good but underpowered Renault, 2008 and 2009 mediocre Renaults.

Edited by juandiego, 26 October 2010 - 11:44.

#5388 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:51

Fiorio hails Alonso's contributions at Ferrari

Former Ferrari Sporting Director Cesare Fiorio has hailed Fernando Alonso's victory at the inaugural Korean GP this past weekend, saying that the Spaniard has made all the difference in the team and has motivated them even more to battle the quicker Red Bulls.

"I would say that Fernando is the only one who has always believed, even in the darkest moments," began Fiorio in an interview with 'Radio Anch’io Sport'. "Now he has conveyed that confidence to the team and everyone has done a great job."

"His contributions have been fundamental," he added.

"With Alonso there has been a big reevaluation of the contribution from a driver in respect to the car, seeing that the Red Bull is the strongest single seater. That's the difference betwen a champion and a normal driver."

http://www.f1technic.....ula One news)

#5389 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:57

I'm seeing a lot of threads and posts acting like he already won the WDC. He hasn't, and specially if Webber gets Vettel support, things aren't very rosy.

:up:

He is only 11 points ahead of Webber. A 1-2 by Red Bull and everything changes. Again.

#5390 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,202 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 13:21

While it is at least one more very serious round at Interlagos (which I think Ferrari can win), it is great to see what Fernando has achieved in the last seven races. Also amazing that he finally adopted a victory jump.....

I like this pic...

Posted Image

Count the fingers!

I despised this guy back in '05 and '06 but I have warmed up to him. Stunning performance.

Absolutely stunning performance in what is the second best car.

Would love to learn more about Alonso's mental approach - I think that's where he really shines. Even in the beginning of the season while all the other drivers were making a lot of noise, Alonso was talking about how the development over the course of the season is the most important thing. Even after this race win in Korea he is talking about how the big picture hasn't changed and that consistency and finishing on the podium is what will count in Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

He appears to be less influenced by the short-term gyrations in the results and more focussed on the slightly longer-term compared to other drivers. His confidence and approach doesn't depend on the last few races only, but on form over the whole season.

Lots to learn from him.

He is definitely the finished product this year and it is amazing to see his mental strength and how he put the dreadful first half of the season behind him. A true leader, the strongest since himself in 2005/2006 and Schumacher in 2006.

http://www.f1technic.....ula One news)

This is exactly what makes a leader. Ferrari have that type of driver again - and deservedly they organise the team accordingly. Fernando functions best in that way and it is to the best of the team as well. Hard years for Felipe coming up, as I had felt in Interlagos 2008, it was probably his only shot at the WDC, and he missed so close...

#5391 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,202 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 13:31

Not sure about him being the greatest of all time, but I am pretty sure that come the end of his career he'll be in the mix with the Sennas, Prosts, Fangios and Schumcahers.

If he wins this WDC, it will be won against 2 current WDCs and one probable future WDC, all in competitive machinery. I suspect that when 2010 is looked back on, the names in the table just below the winner will make it look like a superb achievement.

Not to forget, he will win the WDC the third time against Michael Schumacher as well, in the last three years that Michael was competing.
Anyway, let us wait and see how the 2010 pans out finally - like Stefano Domenicalli and Fernando himself said, business as usual, podiums in the next two races. The rest will follow.

#5392 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 13:42

Jesus. You are comparing the likes of Lauda, Rosberg, Senna and Mansell to Trulli, Fisichella and Massa. Even being a Massa fan I'm not that delusional.
The only one who could be mentioned alongside that group is Hamilton and he gave little Alonso a good run for his money, as a rookie I might add.

#5393 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 13:51

Not to forget, he will win the WDC the third time against Michael Schumacher as well, in the last three years that Michael was competing.

Wow what selective eyes see, the fact right now is the score is 4 to 2 in the years they have competed against each other, would you like me to prove it with facts? Nah, don't bother.

I un-ignored you for this, the Alonso thread thinking it would be free of your MS comments but you just can't help yourself can you and 2 posts in a row to boot.

Now about that crystal ball that shows you "he will win the WDC ...."

#5394 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 14:23

3th WDC or nothing at all, I still think he's the best rider on the grid.

#5395 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 14:34

Funny :)

#5396 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 14:46

Jesus. You are comparing the likes of Lauda, Rosberg, Senna and Mansell to Trulli, Fisichella and Massa. Even being a Massa fan I'm not that delusional.
The only one who could be mentioned alongside that group is Hamilton and he gave little Alonso a good run for his money, as a rookie I might add.

And the most he could do is a tie in the points in a "We were not racing Kimi, we were racing against Fernando" team environment.

#5397 Dolk

Dolk

• 891 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 17:30

Rosberg and Mansell wasn't of a higher pedigree then Massa. They just happened to luck into the points needed.
Putting them in the same sentence as Senna...

#5398 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 18:02

Rosberg and Mansell wasn't of a higher pedigree then Massa. They just happened to luck into the points needed.
Putting them in the same sentence as Senna...

Excuse me... I can understand when you say Rosberg was not better than Massa. But how on earth did Mansell luck his way to 31 wins?

#5399 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 13:40

If found the story behind this pic:

Posted Image

Really cool story, worth reading.

You can't stop what's comin'

26th October 2010

Thursday afternoon at the Korea International Circuit and I’m in Ferrari’s paddock-based HQ.

Behind the partition to my right the Scuderia’s main man, Fernando Alonso, is finishing a telephone conversation in his native tongue. A cheery “adios” heralds the end of the call. Five seconds later and here he is, hand outstretched; a firm handshake and he’s ready to talk photo shoot.

I’m here to talk him through the plan and I have the client’s brief ready to show him. Exhibiting uncommon interest – for an F1 driver at least – in what I and the client would like, he leans in and listens intently to my requests: look like this, stand like that – but above all, do what you do and just be cool.

From Darren Heath Race Blog.

Advertisement

#5400 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,202 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:34

Wow what selective eyes see, the fact right now is the score is 4 to 2 in the years they have competed against each other, would you like me to prove it with facts? Nah, don't bother.

I un-ignored you for this, the Alonso thread thinking it would be free of your MS comments but you just can't help yourself can you and 2 posts in a row to boot.

Now about that crystal ball that shows you "he will win the WDC ...."

I clearly stated that Fernando won the WDCs in the last three years that Michael Schumacher has competed, so what´s so hard to understand about that? You really just like to provoke. Also, that is, IF Fernando wins 2010.
Nonetheless, in 2005, 2006 and 2010 Michael was nicely beaten up by Fernando performance-wise.