Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#5401 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:07

Wow what selective eyes see, the fact right now is the score is 4 to 2 in the years they have competed against each other, would you like me to prove it with facts? Nah, don't bother.

I un-ignored you for this, the Alonso thread thinking it would be free of your MS comments but you just can't help yourself can you and 2 posts in a row to boot.

Now about that crystal ball that shows you "he will win the WDC ...."

Non selective eyes would see that Schumacher hasn't won since since 2004, six years ago, and he isn't going to win anything in 2010 either.

Alonso has won twice in the same period and is poised to take a third this year. All his success coming with Schumacher helpless to stop him. Non selective eyes would see that it is time for Schumacher to call off this 'comeback', praise the skill of these young drivers, and fade away.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 28 October 2010 - 03:08.

Advertisement

#5402 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:29

Non selective eyes would see that Schumacher hasn't won since since 2004, six years ago, and he isn't going to win anything in 2010 either.

Alonso has won twice in the same period and is poised to take a third this year. All his success coming with Schumacher helpless to stop him. Non selective eyes would see that it is time for Schumacher to call off this 'comeback', praise the skill of these young drivers, and fade away.

Actually I hope Schumacher continues just as he is. With 17 races this year and another 35 or so to come in the next two years, if things stay as they are that'll be 50-plus races without pole, victory and probably only one or two podiums. That will have a significant effect on his wins-per-start and poles-per-start ratio and give people a more realistic sense of his abilities, and how much his incredible statistics were linked with the performance of his car.

Edited by topical, 28 October 2010 - 05:29.

#5403 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,736 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:56

Actually I hope Schumacher continues just as he is. With 17 races this year and another 35 or so to come in the next two years, if things stay as they are that'll be 50-plus races without pole, victory and probably only one or two podiums. That will have a significant effect on his wins-per-start and poles-per-start ratio and give people a more realistic sense of his abilities, and how much his incredible statistics were linked with the performance of his car.

Wow, that is exactly how I feel about Hamilton. If you compare Hamiltons first 2 years against his last 2 years his stats have fallen off a cliff.

#5404 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,234 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:25

Which demonstrates there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

#5405 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,026 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:51

A 3rd title would reaffirm Alonso's status as a top driver. Its a reward for his competency displayed in the latter half of 2010.

#5406 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,234 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:07

A 3rd title would reaffirm Alonso's status as a top driver.

What if he has 2 engine failures in the last 2 races? Does his status remain in doubt?

#5407 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,675 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:18

Alonso was a top driver before this season, at the beginning of the season when he was doing mistakes and now that he is crushing the field. The title won't change who good he is as a driver. The same goes to someone like Hamilton.

Edited by kosmos, 28 October 2010 - 07:19.

#5408 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,026 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:29

What if he has 2 engine failures in the last 2 races? Does his status remain in doubt?

I said reaffirm. To put it another way, it be be like stating the obvious.

Alonso was a top driver before this season, at the beginning of the season when he was doing mistakes and now that he is crushing the field. The title won't change who good he is as a driver. The same goes to someone like Hamilton.

Yes Hammy is worth more than 1 title.

Edited by vivian, 28 October 2010 - 07:30.

#5409 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 15:20

I said reaffirm. To put it another way, it be be like stating the obvious.

Yes Hammy is worth more than 1 title.

Yeongam 2010

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#5410 antifozy

antifozy

• 179 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 15:41

Yeongam 2010

Doesn't look like Ferrari stock any ice cream in the cooler behind :)

Edited by antifozy, 28 October 2010 - 15:41.

#5411 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 16:04

More from Yeongam:

#5412 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 17:03

Absurd comment - engine failures do not reflect the driver but the team.

2 Driving errors (you know - driving into a gravel trap or rear ending someone) would be a different story - but I wouldn't hold your breath.

#5413 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 19:01

Absurd comment - engine failures do not reflect the driver but the team.

If you read the threads about Vettel, you will see many people don't agree with that....

#5414 Stuko

Stuko

• 565 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 19:50

If found the story behind this pic:

Posted Image

Really cool story, worth reading.

From Darren Heath Race Blog.

Awesome pic, awesome story :up:

#5415 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 20:02

2 Driving errors (you know - driving into a gravel trap or rear ending someone) would be a different story - but I wouldn't hold your breath.

You do realise Alonso has done both of those things this year...

#5416 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 20:32

:lol:

Yeah, im sure the dropping pole-per-stat will wipe out his mega drives at Monaco 1995, Spain 1996, Hungary or Spa 1998, Malaysia 1999, etcetera.

#5417 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 20:39

More from Yeongam:

That's the reason why he is called "Magic" Alonso  ;)

Cool video :p

#5418 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 20:48

dont worry topical alonso will never be considered as good as schumacher because he isnt i would like to see alonso be out of the sport for 3 years and then see if he was the same driver when he came back

#5419 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 20:55

Awesome pic, awesome story :up:

I saw that picture on Twitter the other day. Would love it on my wall! Fantastic! Alonso certainly looks at home at Ferrari now.

Advertisement

#5420 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 21:17

It’s nice to have a few days to relax before the final rush! The Far Eastern leg was very long and it’s always nice to get back home to relax a bit, before heading off for the final two races of the season in Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

I am back in the lead of the championship for the first time since way back after the Australian Grand Prix. However, we know that with this points system and the gaps as they are, the standings don’t really mean that much: it only takes one race – as indeed we saw in Korea – for the situation to turn itself round. All the same, It’s always better to be in front than behind! Knowing that achieving our objectives is in our hands means we are a fraction calmer, but in no way does it change our approach. We will have to try and do our utmost, making the most of all the potential we have at our disposal. The only difference is that it would be enough, so to speak, to stay ahead of our closest rivals, without having to think too much about the maths.

The statistics from the second part of the season make interesting reading – 133 points from seven races, 90 of them in the last four – and that makes you think it might have been nice if the season had started in Hockenheim. And yet, for our part, it’s not as though we changed anything special in the way we went about our work: it’s just that we manage to string together a series of strong weekends from start to finish, while earlier, sometimes for a variety of reasons, that was not the case. We were lacking consistency in terms of results until this finally came through later. The car has always been reasonably competitive, with differing levels from circuit to circuit, which was also the case later on. However we have definitely much improved the performance level over these last three months.

In the last few years, Interlagos has usually produced very exciting races, partly because of the track characteristics, but also because the weather can be very changeable. This will be a very important factor and we will need to be ready to tackle all possible scenarios in the best way possible. The lap is fairly short, so we can expect closer times than usual, which means that the slightest little mistake will count even more, because one or two tenths either way can mean having seven or eight cars in front or behind you. We will need to do everything perfectly.

In theory, there are still five of us in the running for the title, but clearly Button is in a trickier situation. There are not many points between us to be honest and we saw how things ended up three years ago, but the fact is that are no less than four drivers ahead of him and it’s hard to imagine none of them scoring points.

Naturally, I’ve got great memories of this track because it was here that I secured my two titles, in 2005 and 2006. Every time I go to Sao Paolo it’s a special feeling and the atmosphere is really great. I don’t want to think about the chances of history repeating itself for a third time: I know it is theoretically possible, but that does not count for me. We want to tackle this Grand Prix in the same way as all the others, concentrating on ourselves with our feet on the ground, trying to do a good job, without making mistakes and with the aim of beating our rivals. I have said it before and I say it again: we will do the maths in Abu Dhabi.

#5421 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,736 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 21:19

Alonso fan but it seems ghost written.

#5422 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 21:22

Alonso fan but it seems ghost written.

As far as I know these blog entries are made from Q&A sessions.

#5423 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,675 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:11

Yeah, I remember that some months ago they uploaded a video Q&A that was almost the same as the blog entry.

#5424 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:51

dont worry topical alonso will never be considered as good as schumacher because he isnt i would like to see alonso be out of the sport for 3 years and then see if he was the same driver when he came back

I think you miss the point. I wasn't saying Schumacher is a poor driver, he is one of the greats, I was merely saying that his statistics (as many victories as Senna and Prost added together, etc) are massively flattered by unique circumstances: several years with a massively dominant car and a lapdog teammate. Two or three years in a less competitive car will readjust his wins/poles/podiums per start ratio significantly.

#5425 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:56

:lol:

Yeah, im sure the dropping pole-per-stat will wipe out his mega drives at Monaco 1995, Spain 1996, Hungary or Spa 1998, Malaysia 1999, etcetera.

Try reading the post properly before making such silly comments. Of course Schumacher had many excellent drives and deserves to be considered one of the greats, but statistics flatter himself massively. Is a victory tally as good as Senna and Prost added together a reflection of how much better he was than those two drivers? No. Does his pole tally prove that he is a better qualifier than Senna? No. The pole and wins per start ration will drop considerably in the next couple of years and that's a good thing.
But anyway, enough on that. Back to Alonso...

Edited by topical, 29 October 2010 - 06:58.

#5426 Oblomov

Oblomov

• 38 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:34

I'm seeing a lot of threads and posts acting like he already won the WDC. He hasn't, and specially if Webber gets Vettel support, things aren't very rosy.

Webber will never get Vettel´s support in Brazil. How do I know that? I don´t know a s...t, but try to empathize with Vettel. It´s not difficult to understand he prefers Alonso as a WDC than his team-mate.
Besides, he gets both Horner and Marko caught by the balls, don´t ask me why, because I don´t know the reasons (maybe the great austrian boss).

#5427 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 16:08

Nice interview :)

#5428 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 16:28

Nice interview :)

So Alonso motto is : Leave today, fight tomorrow...

And the funny thing. And whom would you like to tell your opinion? Mr Bush. Like most europeans at that time I supposed... :rotfl:

Edited by gaston_foix, 30 October 2010 - 16:29.

#5429 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,675 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 16:45

Thanks for the video, first time I saw it, there is another video, he talk in french.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

How can anyone dislike this guy?.

#5430 corps

corps

• 29 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:17

Personally, I think the difference between Fernando and Button is bigger than between Button and Barrichello. But then, again, as yours and as everyone's elses, it is just an opinion.

Don't fall for that. Not all opinions are created equal. Some are supported by a lot of evidence, some are not. In 2009, Button barely beat Barrichello, in fact without all his bad luck he would have probably beaten Button. And he still dominated him for half a season in qualifying, so the focus should be on Buttons performance in 2009, not 2010, and if a past his prime Barrichello could match Button then it is very obvious that Alonso would have had an easy world championship that year, against a team mate who only got 1 podium in the second half of the season and consistently qualified mid field.

Amazing turn around from Alonso. Even his biggest fans wouldn't have expected this. One can only imagine what a nightmare this season has become for all the Alonso haters out there who were laughing at his statement at silverstone and when he spun out at Spa. Moral of the story is never doubt a great driver.

Edited by corps, 01 November 2010 - 04:21.

#5431 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:40

Moral of the story is never doubt a great driver.

:up: Very true that.

#5432 corps

corps

• 29 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:11

Trulli was beating Alonso quite often (and in the points), Fisi was awful - look at how Renault when downhill when Fisi led the team, Hamilton beat Alonso in his rookie year, Massa has come back from an injury and is an unknown quantity - and was roughly the same speed as Kimi who all Alonso fans think was slow?

Alonso outclassed all of them (except lewis). Trulli's last days at Renault consisted of him making excuses and blaming the car for the reason Alonso was trouncing him, which says it all. A broken driver. Before they became Alonso's team mates all three were very highly rated, especially in terms of raw speed, and its a credit to Alonso's ability we hear nothing but an excuse fest coming from their corners. When Alonso doesnt beat a team mate he apparently sucks, and when he does, its because his team mates suck, he can't really win can he?

Massa's doctors have given him the all clear, his clinical performance testing is as good as it was before his accident, but we still keep hearing the same excuses over and over about tyres, even after bridgestone's director has personally rubbished these excuses. He is accused of lying publicly and blatantly for the sake of 1 driver. So silly. Does anyone really believe that Massa's driving style is so unique that out of 24 drivers hes the only one who consistently cannot heat his tyres? The only thing unique with Massa is that his team mate is Fernando Alonso.

It's true Massa is having problems with the harder tyres, but that is simply because he does not have confidence in their grip, much as he has less confidence than Alonso in the wet where the grip is even less and where the gap between them has been 1 second a lap on average. Less grip exaggerates talent and driving ability, in the same way the gap between Schumacher and his team mates was bigger in bad cars and smaller with great ones. What we are seeing at Ferrari this year is basically the same thing. With gripper tyres the car is easier to drive so Massa is closer to Alonso, although it must be said he is still getting trounced especially in qualifying.

Edited by corps, 01 November 2010 - 06:11.

#5433 robefc

robefc

• 8,018 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:16

Don't fall for that. Not all opinions are created equal. Some are supported by a lot of evidence, some are not. In 2009, Button barely beat Barrichello, in fact without all his bad luck he would have probably beaten Button. And he still dominated him for half a season in qualifying, so the focus should be on Buttons performance in 2009, not 2010, and if a past his prime Barrichello could match Button then it is very obvious that Alonso would have had an easy world championship that year, against a team mate who only got 1 podium in the second half of the season and consistently qualified mid field.

Amazing turn around from Alonso. Even his biggest fans wouldn't have expected this. One can only imagine what a nightmare this season has become for all the Alonso haters out there who were laughing at his statement at silverstone and when he spun out at Spa. Moral of the story is never doubt a great driver.

I really wonder about the first 7 races of 2009.

If alonso or hamilton were there instead of button would they have won 6/7?
If they were there with him would they have won 6/7 ahead of button, split them equally, won none?

As a hamilton fan I'd like to think lewis would have beaten him in all or most of the races, quali this year suggests he may have done. I'm sure alonso fans would like to feel the same but button's form was pretty awesome then with the car just to his liking.

And if he had dominated the start then it's a lot more difficult to say alonso (or hamilton) would have had an 'easy' WDC or even had one at all...

#5434 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:23

Thanks for the video, first time I saw it, there is another video, he talk in french.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

How can anyone dislike this guy?.

His attempt at speaking French is funny :p

#5435 corps

corps

• 29 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:29

I really wonder about the first 7 races of 2009.

If alonso or hamilton were there instead of button would they have won 6/7?
If they were there with him would they have won 6/7 ahead of button, split them equally, won none?

As a hamilton fan I'd like to think lewis would have beaten him in all or most of the races, quali this year suggests he may have done. I'm sure alonso fans would like to feel the same but button's form was pretty awesome then with the car just to his liking.

And if he had dominated the start then it's a lot more difficult to say alonso (or hamilton) would have had an 'easy' WDC or even had one at all...

The main reason Button was so dominant was because he out qualified Rubens 6-1 during that part of the season. He would not have been able to do that against Alonso or Hamilton, in fact it would have been the reverse. Rubens is well known to struggle for periods when the car is not to his liking.

#5436 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:47

I think you miss the point. I wasn't saying Schumacher is a poor driver, he is one of the greats, I was merely saying that his statistics (as many victories as Senna and Prost added together, etc) are massively flattered by unique circumstances: several years with a massively dominant car and a lapdog teammate. Two or three years in a less competitive car will readjust his wins/poles/podiums per start ratio significantly.

i understand but all im saying i dont think anyone else in the same car could have done what he done no matter what teamate he had

#5437 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:50

The main reason Button was so dominant was because he out qualified Rubens 6-1 during that part of the season. He would not have been able to do that against Alonso or Hamilton, in fact it would have been the reverse. Rubens is well known to struggle for periods when the car is not to his liking.

jenson known to struggle when the car is not to his liking to like in the second part of the season 2009

#5438 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,203 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:54

Kudos to Fernando this year - I've been a Mclaren fan since the days of Lauda/prost - so clearly post 2007 wasn't much of a Fernando Alonso fan. However, this year I think he has totally turned me around and think he deserves a huge amount of credit and respect for dragging the Ferrari team from where they were a third of the way into the season to where they are now. If he wins the championship this year i think it will be by far his best one of the three and I think it could set him up for a couple more to come from Ferrari, actually, even if he doesn't win the championship i still think it will be his best season so far...

#5439 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 23:05

Nice article about FA. (Sorry, it's in italian):

http://www.repubblic...o_gara-8601615/

Advertisement

#5440 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,494 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:03

I don't know whether Alonso is the best driver around. But he is one of the nicest f1 drivers in a long time.

#5441 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,114 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:09

I don't know whether Alonso is the best driver around. But he is one of the nicest f1 drivers in a long time.

Niki Lauda thinks he is going by his comments about the title fight.

http://www.planetf1....rite-Vettel-off

#5442 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:22

Niki Lauda thinks he is going by his comments about the title fight.

http://www.planetf1....rite-Vettel-off

I probably agree with Lauda but his opinions are as fickle as the weather. I've seen him on RTL before saying Hamilton is clearly the best driver in F1, assuring us that after 3-4 races this season Schumacher would be back to his old self and showing the rest of the drivers how it should be done, that when Vettel's on form nobody else can touch him...like many so-called 'experts' the best driver seems to be for him whoever's on form right now...great work if you can get it...

#5443 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:22

I probably agree with Lauda but his opinions are as fickle as the weather. I've seen him on RTL before saying Hamilton is clearly the best driver in F1, assuring us that after 3-4 races this season Schumacher would be back to his old self and showing the rest of the drivers how it should be done, that when Vettel's on form nobody else can touch him...like many so-called 'experts' the best driver seems to be for him whoever's on form right now...great work if you can get it...

If Lauda said that you can write Vettel off, then its clear as a day you can't :)

#5444 metz

metz

• 9,710 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 13:26

Before they became Alonso's team mates all three were very highly rated, especially in terms of raw speed, and its a credit to Alonso's ability we hear nothing but an excuse fest coming from their corners.

In fairness to Fisi, He was superb before he partnered Alonso and he was again superb afterwards at FI.
Does a driver go hot and cold and hot like this?
Many suggest Alonso's mind games are the reason.
The suggestion that Alonso prefers weak team mates does not hold water. Trulli and Fisi were certainly not considered weak at the time, even if FA had a say about the pairing. Hamilton was also not weak, but nobody could have known that, being a rookie and all.

#5445 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,675 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 15:39

Very good interview with Fernando, in spanish.

http://www.sport.es/...dseccio_PK=1269

About Massa:

He said that the main difference between he and Massa comes down to luck. Both have issues with the tyres but because he have an aggressive driving style, he overcome this problem. He also said that Massa was very unlucky with no points in 3 consecutive races, according to him, this is the reason why Felipe is not fighting for the title.

He also said that there is a strong bond at Ferrari, including Felipe, and this is something that people from outside don't like.

#5446 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 17:39

About Massa:

Both have issues with the tyres but because he have an aggressive driving style, he overcome this problem.

In other words:
MASSA DRIVES LIKE A LITTLE GURL. :lol:

#5447 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,494 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 23:32

http://www.sport.es/...dseccio_PK=1269

Why does Alonso give the 'tu' to the interviewer and the interviewer gives Alonso the 'usted'? Is is a question of respect?

I'm not implying any lack of respect on the part of Alonso! But even if I read Spanish (or Castillian, as you prefer) fluently, I know nothing about the subtleties of the language use.

Note for English speaking forumers: except for English, all the European languages I know make the distinction between an informal you (tu) and one or perhaps three, formal forms — in this case, usted.

#5448 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,494 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 23:33

In other words:
MASSA DRIVES LIKE A LITTLE GURL. :lol:

Well, he never said that or anything comparable. All in all, it seems Alonso and Massa get along quite well.

#5449 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,174 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 23:46

Why does Alonso give the 'tu' to the interviewer and the interviewer gives Alonso the 'usted'? Is is a question of respect?

I'm not implying any lack of respect on the part of Alonso! But even if I read Spanish (or Castillian, as you prefer) fluently, I know nothing about the subtleties of the language use.

Note for English speaking forumers: except for English, all the European languages I know make the distinction between an informal you (tu) and one or perhaps three, formal forms — in this case, usted.

Alonso is not speaking informally with the interviewer from that point of view. He is talking about facts and possibilities such as "if you control yourself you win", that kind of statements. But not referring to the interviewer, just talking in general terms.

Usually usted is not really as a sign of respect, it is used when you don't know the person you are talking to (between adults normally). If the interviewer uses usted it is because they are not familiar, if Alonso used tu with him it'd be a way to tell him "relax, you can call me tu as well".

Edited by Nitropower, 04 November 2010 - 23:47.

#5450 billkaos

billkaos

• 159 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:42

Well, the interview could be written by Ferrari PR, so that's the level of formality in the language it has. Note that "tú" in spanish has several uses. Both persons use the most formal of the language.