• 328 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:38

thanks jetalt and kosmos for those interviews. Nice reads to warm up GP weekend

Advertisement

#5452 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,602 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:36

There is an interesting article in the Spanish press today (El Mundo newspaper). According to the article, after the Monaco crash Alonso returned to the garage and saw the morale very low and the disappointment in the eyes of the mechanics and he felt guilty. Then he wrote personalized letters to every single mechanic by his own hand and he delivered every letter by himself. In the letter he apologized to the team, recognized his own mistake and promised to them that they will fight for the title at the end of the championship.

They provided a quote from Andrea Stella (during the Monaco GP) saying that Alonso did something special for the team in Monaco. Sadly I can't find that quote in english.

#5453 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:20

Thanks kosmos. I recall that Lobato mentioned that something happened after that crash that meant that Ferrari was even more Fernando's team.

There was a bit of speculation (I think even a thread sprang out of it) that perhaps the crash wasn't Fernando's fault but someone in the team's error, but that Fernando took the fall for it. Seems that speculation can be put to rest now. (EDIT: found the thread, for anyone interested: http://forums.autosp...p;hl=Alonso FP3 ).

Very nice touch from Alonso though. That and the post Silverstone radio chat have been impressive momments and he's been proven right. Great way to establish 100% belief in him in the team.

#5454 Massa

Massa

• 4,265 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:16

So Trulli, Fischella, Hamilton, Massa weren't amazing teammates? They have all looked pretty good when they haven't had Alonso alongside them.

They are nothing against Prost team mate, or Massa team mate ( Heidfeld, Fisichella, Villeneuve, Schumacher, Raikkonen, Alonso )

#5455 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,494 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:19

NITROPOWER and BILLKAOS, Muchas gracias :)

#5456 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,340 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:51

One can only imagine what a nightmare this season has become for all the Alonso haters out there who were laughing at his statement at silverstone and when he spun out at Spa. Moral of the story is never doubt a great driver.

Very true. :up:

#5457 juandiego

juandiego

• 395 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:13

I would also add that the respect form of addressing to the second person as "usted", is slightly used nowadays in Spain amongst younger generations; it's basically used for addressing older people who don't belong to your acquaintances. As it's been already suggested, to use it may well be interpreted by many as a way to set an imaginary barrier of mutual understanding.

#5458 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:55

Thanks kosmos. I recall that Lobato mentioned that something happened after that crash that meant that Ferrari was even more Fernando's team.

There was a bit of speculation (I think even a thread sprang out of it) that perhaps the crash wasn't Fernando's fault but someone in the team's error, but that Fernando took the fall for it. Seems that speculation can be put to rest now. (EDIT: found the thread, for anyone interested: http://forums.autosp...p;hl=Alonso FP3 ).

As I said in page 2 of that thread though, the Spanish forum member that translated it got it wrong, as Lobato never said that, and actually the first thing he said is that it was a driver error. If there was any doubt, he clarified it at a later entry on his blog.

#5459 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:44

Yeah, prty, completely agree. I wasn't trying to give them impression that the speculation was Lobato's, I was trying to make it clear that it was forum speculation arising from a comment of Lobato's (hence two seperate paras).

Obviously the comment from Lobato has now been proven to be 100% correct. As were your comments in that thread :up:

Advertisement

#5460 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 16:57

There is an interesting article in the Spanish press today (El Mundo newspaper). According to the article, after the Monaco crash Alonso returned to the garage and saw the morale very low and the disappointment in the eyes of the mechanics and he felt guilty. Then he wrote personalized letters to every single mechanic by his own hand and he delivered every letter by himself. In the letter he apologized to the team, recognized his own mistake and promised to them that they will fight for the title at the end of the championship.

They provided a quote from Andrea Stella (during the Monaco GP) saying that Alonso did something special for the team in Monaco. Sadly I can't find that quote in english.

class :up:

So that's what it was. Thanks for clearing that up.

#5461 K-One

K-One

• 5,908 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 17:00

Thanks for the video, first time I saw it, there is another video, he talk in french.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

How can anyone dislike this guy?.

When things are going his way, everything is rosy. When not, he is critisizing his team, team mate, the sport and your grandmother

#5462 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 21:49

Very impressive indeed. He never ceases to surprise me :up:

Add to that his comments on the radio after the Silvestone race when he was almost 50 points behind the WDC leader :eek: :

It is a time to stay united, to react with grit and determination and our driver made that very clear to all the team on his slowing down lap after taking the chequered flag. “OK guys, keep your heads up, heads up. We will win the championship,” said Fernando over the radio. “We are only halfway through the season and there is plenty of time to recover. We have a great car and we proved that to everyone this weekend and confirmed it with this fastest race lap. It is only the first half and we know we have to do better in the second one and we will do exactly that. Well done all of you for this weekend: whatever the result, we have done a good job. Come on! There’s plenty of time to catch up.” Then came the reply from his race engineer, Andrea Stella, who certainly summed up the feelings of the whole team: “Don’t worry, no one is giving up. We are all behind you, we want the same thing and we will fight right to the end to get it.” Grit, determination and the will to win: three things that are definitely not in short supply in Maranello.

A true team leader both on and off the track :)

#5463 billkaos

billkaos

• 159 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:05

No hay de qué :)

#5464 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:44

Very impressive indeed. He never ceases to surprise me :up:

Add to that his comments on the radio after the Silvestone race when he was almost 50 points behind the WDC leader :eek: :

It is a time to stay united, to react with grit and determination and our driver made that very clear to all the team on his slowing down lap after taking the chequered flag. “OK guys, keep your heads up, heads up. We will win the championship,” said Fernando over the radio. “We are only halfway through the season and there is plenty of time to recover. We have a great car and we proved that to everyone this weekend and confirmed it with this fastest race lap. It is only the first half and we know we have to do better in the second one and we will do exactly that. Well done all of you for this weekend: whatever the result, we have done a good job. Come on! There’s plenty of time to catch up.” Then came the reply from his race engineer, Andrea Stella, who certainly summed up the feelings of the whole team: “Don’t worry, no one is giving up. We are all behind you, we want the same thing and we will fight right to the end to get it.” Grit, determination and the will to win: three things that are definitely not in short supply in Maranello.

A true team leader both on and off the track :)

A great post. Especially considering the one that preceded it. :up: :)

#5465 Bren

Bren

• 52 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:17

For me, it is one thing just saying it on the radio.
its another thing to actually do it.

Ferrari must believe they can do anything as a team now.
Massa will have to dig deep now, but if anyone can do it at Interlargos, he can.

#5466 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,602 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:46

Very interesting graph of Alonso's career. It's a comparison between the starting grid position and the final race position.

http://www.marca.com...mp;t=1289047313

Edited by kosmos, 06 November 2010 - 12:46.

#5467 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 13:31

Yeah, prty, completely agree. I wasn't trying to give them impression that the speculation was Lobato's, I was trying to make it clear that it was forum speculation arising from a comment of Lobato's (hence two seperate paras).

Obviously the comment from Lobato has now been proven to be 100% correct. As were your comments in that thread :up:

Fair enough  ;)

#5468 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,602 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 18:41

Another brillant race, getting the maximun of the car. The scenarios for the next race are too numerous to talk about but I really think that Fernando need to start the race on P1 or P2, but we will see. From my point of view, Red Bull team orders will happen if they need them, Ferrari should think about it.

#5469 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 18:43

Another brillant race, getting the maximun of the car. The scenarios for the next race are too numerous to talk about but I really think that Fernando need to start the race on P1 or P2, but we will see. From my point of view, Red Bull team orders will happen if they need them, Ferrari should think about it.

Completely right - Alonso NEEDS to qulaify second - minimum - if not, he is at the mercy of Red Bull.

#5470 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 18:52

Posted Image

Busted.

#5471 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 19:09

Who did say Alonso would not take risks and would be conservative? :)

Alonso was on fire in the first laps. He was brilliant and great to watch. His overtaking on Nico was pretty good. After that, he just controlled the race.

So very good race :up:

#5472 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 19:11

Yet another drive of a true double champion.

Abu Dahbi should be better for Ferrari than Brasil so fingers crossed.

#5473 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 19:55

Alonso overtakes Hulkenberg:

#5474 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 19:59

Alonso overtakes Hulkenberg:

Great race by Alonso, on fire in the first laps as well as towards the end. Very fast driving, while at the same time having to take care of the engine. Not an easy position to be in, solved masterfully. Now we are in for a real thriller of a race in Abu Dhabi!!!

#5475 Flamini

Flamini

• 797 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 20:49

Since Germany:
P1
P2
Ret
P1
P1
P3
P1
P3

#5476 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 21:41

I'm so afraid he will retire in Abu Dhabi.

#5477 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,615 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 23:46

Great race by Alonso, man of the race.

#5478 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 23:57

Strangely maybe, but I'm not (so much). If it happens, so be it, it's just a title more or less, after all.

Matters far more to me how he performed recently, I was missing that Alonso in the first half of the season.

#5479 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 00:06

A masterful drive by Alonso today. Was fast when he needed to be and he took care of the tires leaving enough for a good run at the end to fend off any challengers.

Advertisement

#5480 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 00:33

Strangely maybe, but I'm not (so much). If it happens, so be it, it's just a title more or less, after all.

Matters far more to me how he performed recently, I was missing that Alonso in the first half of the season.

Yes, me too. I was disappointed by him and at certain moments just thought he lost what he used to have.

But he's been superb lately and I would so want him to steal the title away from the Red Bull's. :D

#5481 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,711 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 00:35

I can't verify it but on SPEEDtv they said Alonso had a very low mileage engine for Abu Dhabi and today was his big hurdle as far as engines go.

Anyone know if that is true?

#5482 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,285 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 00:37

Alonso was on fire in the first laps. He was brilliant and great to watch. His overtaking on Nico was pretty good. After that, he just controlled the race.

His overtaking was great, but it was measured, not risky or aggressive. He was very conservative on the brakes against Lewis and Hulkenberg and worked more on pressuring the guy in front rather than trying to actually stick a risky pass on them.

I was a bit disappointed at his timidness at first, but in the end, I think it was probably the best way to go about it, and its why Alonso is a great race driver and I'm not. :p

#5483 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 00:39

I can't verify it but on SPEEDtv they said Alonso had a very low mileage engine for Abu Dhabi and today was his big hurdle as far as engines go.

Don't think so, it's been widely reported that he'll be having to use the same engine he used this Saturday and Sunday, next Saturday and Sunday. Which was the Monza race engine. It's quite a stressed engine having now done Monza and Interlagos, Ferrari have had engine issues for themselves and Sauber this season. It'll be tense that's for sure.

#5484 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 00:44

Fernando has got his groove back and is out for blood!

#5485 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:26

He will be using the Monza and Interlagos engine unless Marc Gene is a top dramatic actor.

#5486 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,494 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:17

I, too, think he raced very well. His overtaking of Hulkenberg (or, as Alonso says it, Hunkelberg — I know, German names come with difficulty to a Latin) was very well calculated and masterfully executed. And he pressed Hamilton into a mistake (hence the 'no grip, no f-duct'). After that, Alonso drove very consistently fast. But qualification cost him dearly. I'm sorry for Massa, though. He had a horrible day.

#5487 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,494 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:19

I would also add that the respect form of addressing to the second person as "usted", is slightly used nowadays in Spain amongst younger generations; it's basically used for addressing older people who don't belong to your acquaintances. As it's been already suggested, to use it may well be interpreted by many as a way to set an imaginary barrier of mutual understanding.

Tahnk you Juan Diego (my Spanish students still give me the 'tú'; I hope this is a good sign ;)

#5488 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,012 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:48

Alonso drove like a champ today. I don't like the guy, but he is maybe the best driver out there.

#5489 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:57

He was fantastic again today. I would love to see him take the title from Redbull. What an amazing second half he's had.

#5490 topical

topical

• 2,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:16

Great drive from Alonso yesterday. His move against Hulkenberg and pressuring Hamilton into a mistake (2nd race in a row) were masterful. If it's true he managed to conserve his engine for good parts of the race that's also good news. Having said that, it was his own mistake on Saturday (in admittedly tricky conditions) that put him in that position in the first place and it's hard not to think that he would have had a good to chance to take the victory here, or at least second, if his qualifying had been better.
I really, really hope Ferrari is as good around Abu Dhabi as many people are saying, otherwise Alonso is going to have to rely on one of the Red Bulls hitting mechanical trouble and then people will say he 'inherited' the title which is nonsense: the way he has almost single-handedly taken the fight to them in the second half of the season in a car that is still clearly inferior almost everywhere has been brilliant, and makes him deserving of the title, just like Red Bull clearly deserve the constructors.

#5491 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:34

I'm confident that he will beat the Bulls in the title standings... Abu Dhabi will be great for us...

Edited by gaston_foix, 08 November 2010 - 08:35.

#5492 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,888 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:37

Great drive from Alonso yesterday. His move against Hulkenberg and pressuring Hamilton into a mistake (2nd race in a row) were masterful. If it's true he managed to conserve his engine for good parts of the race that's also good news. Having said that, it was his own mistake on Saturday (in admittedly tricky conditions) that put him in that position in the first place and it's hard not to think that he would have had a good to chance to take the victory here, or at least second, if his qualifying had been better.
I really, really hope Ferrari is as good around Abu Dhabi as many people are saying, otherwise Alonso is going to have to rely on one of the Red Bulls hitting mechanical trouble and then people will say he 'inherited' the title which is nonsense: the way he has almost single-handedly taken the fight to them in the second half of the season in a car that is still clearly inferior almost everywhere has been brilliant, and makes him deserving of the title, just like Red Bull clearly deserve the constructors.

That sums it for me too. Nobody has strung together a run of results as impressive as he has in what has to be said is clearly, although not by much, an inferior car.

He said it... Podiums will win this thing and I will bet good money that he will put his car between Vettel and Webber come quali at Abu Dhabi.

I just pray he wins the race. It will be a fitting end to the championship.

#5493 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,113 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:16

Since Germany:
P1
P2
Ret
P1
P1
P3
P1
P3

Those results sum it up really. :up:

I hope he goes for the win at Abu Dhabi & takes the title by more than 7pts. He deserves it regardless but it'll shut the knockers up.

#5494 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:21

It was a superb race from him in any context. Given the pressure to avoid a DNF that the WDC position gave, it was even more impressive. Definitely a champion's drive.

#5495 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:30

I really hope he wins the title in Abu Dhabi... I can't think of anyone more deserving to be champion with the quality of his racing, and if he can take it from the Red Bull's he certainly deserves it.

#5496 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,021 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 13:16

Ferrari have done a fantastic job this year, so if they fail at Abu Dhabi in anyway; it doesnt matter to me at all.

------------------------------

I thought Alonso would have a hard time getting past Hulk, but he got past him when he made a mistake. Lewis on the other hand i thought would have no problem getting Hulk, but he really did struggle. So much for his overtaking prowess.

#5497 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 13:18

He deserves the title

#5498 Aerosoul

Aerosoul

• 82 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 16:17

For Alonso, Ferrari will use the Bahrain qualifying engine that was overheating and changed before the race. Super low mileage

Stefano said it was close to overheating (on Ferraris YouTube channel), while other commentators have said that those engines overheated? Not sure which one is which but i don't think it got damaged

Edited by Aerosoul, 08 November 2010 - 16:17.

#5499 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 328 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 18:35

yesterday, Marc Gené was very specific about the engine for AbuDabi: Alonso will use Monza&Brasil engine.

of course Ferrari has to analyze how fine is yesterdays engine compare with the other ones that may be used (ex. bahrain "overheated"). They could change the plan, but the first option was to use the same engine again.

about topic: nothing to add that hasnt been said. Alonso #1

Edited by pikamoku, 08 November 2010 - 18:38.

Advertisement

#5500 figue

figue

• 190 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 19:21

For Alonso, Ferrari will use the Bahrain qualifying engine that was overheating and changed before the race. Super low mileage

Stefano said it was close to overheating (on Ferraris YouTube channel), while other commentators have said that those engines overheated? Not sure which one is which but i don't think it got damaged

that engine passed away long time ago, your info is incorrect