Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#5501 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 19:28

that engine passed away long time ago, your info is incorrect

I keep hearing different answers to what engine Alonso will use. Do you have a link to accurate info?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Advertisement

#5502 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 328 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 19:35

is Marc Gené "accurate" enough?

if SD in press conference told us would be more accurate.

#5503 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,801 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 19:58

ATM_Andy, a McLaren employee who posts in the MP4-25 thread occasionally, confirmed that an engine 6 months old just isn't viable. Now I appreciate that's for a merc engine, and that Ferrari may have found a way to mothball an engine, FIA seals intact, without it degrading over six months, but I doubt it.

I'd say the Monza/Brazil rumour is the right one.

#5504 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 20:21

Who did say Alonso would not take risks and would be conservative? :)

Alonso was on fire in the first laps. He was brilliant and great to watch. His overtaking on Nico was pretty good. After that, he just controlled the race.

So very good race :up:

Yeah, I was surprised by how aggressive he was. But You can't deny that he's been woefully conservative this season. Talking about the WDC contenders throughout the season overtaking/putting moves on specifically each other, Alonso is probably at the bottom of the pile in terms of that

#5505 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,038 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 20:29

Sorry guys but unless Red Bull suffer a reliability issue or driver error, the WDC is going to Webber on Sunday. RBR will be the fastest car again.

#5506 as65p

as65p

• 17,500 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 20:45

Talking about the WDC contenders throughout the season overtaking/putting moves on specifically each other, Alonso is probably at the bottom of the pile in terms of that

Well, on the bright side he's the only one who didn't tangle with one of the other four leading to a DNF, (although that's maybe a bit harsh on Button, not much he could do getting t-boned by Vettel in Spa).

#5507 juandiego

juandiego

• 397 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 20:51

Who did say Alonso would not take risks and would be conservative? :)
Alonso was on fire in the first laps. He was brilliant and great to watch. His overtaking on Nico was pretty good. After that, he just controlled the race.
So very good race :up:

However, Alonso commented after the race that his approach to overtake either Hamilton and Hulkenberg was without running high risks. It was a pity that by when he eventually managed to do it, Webber was already 8 seconds ahead of him. Later this gap went up to 15 seconds in 25 laps (0,3 sec/lap), don't know if because he was just cruising and Webber pushing or because it was the real speed differential.

#5508 Neil2010

Neil2010

• 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 21:27

Before this season (and until the 2nd half of this season) I was no Fernando Alonso fan. But I must admit that of late he has impressed me immensely with his calmness and quiet determination. This year he has come back from a mediocre first half season and quietly eliminated the huge points deficit to the Red Bulls and is surely going to win the championship this weekend.
The melodrama at Red Bull is getting seriously old now and to be honest I think anyone but Mark Webber would make a better driver's champion.

#5509 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 21:40

Agreed on both accounts.

Most people laughed when Alonso said they would be fighting for championship after Silverstone (?). It was and still is a tightrope situation especially considering engine situation and Red Bull dominance. Like him or not he's been brilliant in the second part of the season - class of his own.

Red Bull team orders farce is getting really tiresome. To the point that I don't really care now how it ends.

#5510 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,933 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 21:49

You need a competitive car to do it....

#5511 P123

P123

• 8,472 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 22:06

Ferrari serenity? Felipe may disagree. First he has to give away victory, then his car conks out in the crucial Singapore qualifying and in Brazil his team can't even fit his tyres correctly anymore.  ;)

#5512 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,625 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 22:17

After some experimentning during Raikkonen era, Ferrari are back to MS era kind of managament. It was obvious that things aren't going to work for Ferrari unless they focus all of their resources to accomodate Alonso.

However, this is making WDC situation a bit complicated now. Without team orders in Ferrari it would be all to play for in last race, Ferrari team orders have effectively stripped Vettel of getting fair chance for a victory. My opinion is that Vettel will indeed try to help Webber, as much as they don't like eachother RBR does seem pretty coherent team still.

Edited by velgajski1, 08 November 2010 - 22:22.

#5513 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,625 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 22:32

+ Vettel has 0 to gain from helping Alonso, but much to lose from it. He is not that powerful inside RBR, there are other drivers potentially interested in his seat (Kubica, maybe even Hamilton) and I'm 100% sure he'll do the 'smart' thing.

#5514 Redstorm

Redstorm

• 343 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 22:35

So it must be a real slow day for Wolfie to scrounge around a Fred thread..... Get over to your corner young lady, it's too quiet on the home front! And I was available today tisk, tisk, tisk....

Alonso most certainly will be number one. It'll be painted on the nose of that beautiful car :p

#5515 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 22:40

Yeah, I was surprised by how aggressive he was. But You can't deny that he's been woefully conservative this season. Talking about the WDC contenders throughout the season overtaking/putting moves on specifically each other, Alonso is probably at the bottom of the pile in terms of that

I don't think so. Over the course of a season, I believe Alonso has been the best driver in terms of overtakings of the WDC contenders after Hamilton. To me, Vettel has been the less impressive when overtaking, and unlike Alonso, Webber has crashed into others when he was fighting for race position various times this season.

Alonso is known for being a driver that takes the necessary risks. Only if he has nothing to lose then he will risk everything but when has to fight for the WDC, then it's just normal if he changes his approach to racing. As Alonso Fan, I have to say that I have seen 2 different Alonsos in his F1 career: an Alonso who overdrives his car and is agressive and great to watch but ocasionally makes mistakes especially when his car is clearly slower and inferior to the rest of his rivals and a relentless Alonso who is extremely fast and consistent and rarely makes mistakes especially if his car is good enough to fight for the podium at least.

#5516 Stuko

Stuko

• 565 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 22:41

Ferrari serenity? Felipe may disagree. First he has to give away victory, then his car conks out in the crucial Singapore qualifying and in Brazil his team can't even fit his tyres correctly anymore.;)

Who is Felipe? I´m so tired about this. I´ve been waiting race after race Felipe being a true Ferrari driver again.... but what i´ve been seen race after race is a mediocre driver who gave Alonso 8 points at Germany GP, of course, but a driver who gave Ferrari rivals too many points (far far above from 8).
I hope he just has realized he must stop whining, talk at track and become again the old days Felipe. I really hope it and i really hope it´s not too late.

Edited by Stuko, 08 November 2010 - 22:43.

#5517 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,625 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 22:52

However, too much care is put towards that one scenario. I don't think its that likely to happen.

My hunch tells me Alonso will win it by coming second and one of RBRs winning the race.

#5518 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,604 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 22:54

Who is Felipe? I´m so tired about this. I´ve been waiting race after race Felipe being a true Ferrari driver again.... but what i´ve been seen race after race is a mediocre driver who gave Alonso 8 points at Germany GP, of course, but a driver who gave Ferrari rivals too many points (far far above from 8).
I hope he just has realized he must stop whining, talk at track and become again the old days Felipe. I really hope it and i really hope it´s not too late.

See how he likes Pirelli's I guess.

#5519 Sheik

Sheik

• 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 00:25

Avanti Fer Avanti!

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Advertisement

#5520 absentia

absentia

• 37 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:18

:up: Redstorm

Next season will be interesting since one would assume that Alonso's position as #1 would be made out clear from the beginning of the season - back in the MS-Todt-Brawn -era again.

Except that one doesn't include Fernando and his boss. :p

Even if Alonso is champion, in 2011 he zeroed Massa starts the year?

SD: Yes, like this year. Drivers have to know what is the interest of the team. I confirm that Felipe will be able to start from scratch in 2011, but always knowing that Ferrari is the most important.

Source: http://www1.folha.uo...a-pilotos.shtml?

Domenicali has said that both start from scratch next year, whatever happens in this outcome.

FA: It's normal. We start all from scratch. Kers returns disappears double diffuser, switched to Pirelli tires and can be completely opposite to what we see this year and I think both Felipe and I will be title contenders.

Source: http://www.sport.es/...dseccio_PK=1269

#5521 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,037 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:20

Hope Pat Fry can be of help for making Ferrari better in high speed circuits like Turkey and Spa.

#5522 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,137 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:20

It won't matter what Red Bull do this weekend. Alonso will qualy on the front row & finish 1st or 2nd in the race. Simple. :) :clap:

#5523 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:06

You know what, I just realized that if Alonso wins this weekend he will pull alongside Jackie Stewart, who has 27 wins and 3 titles.

#5524 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,565 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:53

Wow, That puts things in some perpective. :up:

#5525 moorsey

moorsey

• 642 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:48

I am a McLaren/Hamilton fan but I've got to say that if Alonso takes the title this weekend he will be a very very worthy champion.
He has absolutely epitomised the "never give up" attitude this season.

#5526 topical

topical

• 2,167 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:29

Mark Hughes has written a lot of guff lately but this article seems a bit more grounded and makes for depressing reading for anyone who is hoping for Alonso to take the fight to RB in equal condition this weekend. I hope he is wrong:
http://news.bbc.co.u...one/9168814.stm

#5527 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,319 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:09

Mark Hughes has written a lot of guff lately but this article seems a bit more grounded and makes for depressing reading for anyone who is hoping for Alonso to take the fight to RB in equal condition this weekend. I hope he is wrong:

Blah Blah Blah. We know all this Mr Hughes and it didn't stop Alonso from ouqualifying both Red Bulls in Singapore.

My money is on Alonso splitting the Red Bulls.

#5528 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,137 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:24

I don't think Alonso will be too worried if Hamilton wins though.

#5529 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,669 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:03

I don't think Alonso will be too worried if Hamilton wins though.

The only thing Fernando doesn't want is a Red Bull 1-2 through the first corner. Any other scenario puts him in a great position for the title, as long as he can bring the car home.

I think there is a good chance he (or someone else) can split the Bulls, if not in qualifying, then off the start line. It has been done before.

#5530 topical

topical

• 2,167 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:34

Blah Blah Blah. We know all this Mr Hughes and it didn't stop Alonso from ouqualifying both Red Bulls in Singapore.

My money is on Alonso splitting the Red Bulls.

Well I hope so. He can't afford another slip up like in Brazil qualifying.
Alternatively I would be delighted if McLaren have a rocket of a car here. A Hamilton victory would be a big help to Alonso. I don't expect that though. It'll be a straight contest between the two RBs and Alonso I expect.

#5531 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:38

This is another silly piece of journalism IMO ... RedBull have pulled 4 1-2s this season. Even simple statistics will tell you they got roughly 22% chance of a 1-2 in Abu Dhabi. 22% is far from certain, and RedBull are far from de facto in control. IF things go RedBull's way they will be in control, but that's a big if and can be matched by an equal IF things go Ferrari's way then they will be in control.

#5532 juandiego

juandiego

• 397 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:12

I don't know whether or not he's wrong but at least I perceive a strange logic in his reasoning. Oddly enough, Mark Hughes seems to downplay Alonso-Ferrari chances in Abu Dhabi for being slower than the Bulls at Interlagos, and disregards the same argumentation to consider the McLaren-Hamilton combo a candidate for pole position and the victory in Abu Dhabi while admitting this combo was even slower than Alonso on the Interlagos lay-out. According to him, the specific layout of the Abu Dhabi circuit will be an important improvement factor for Hamilton but this is not taken into account, not even mentioned, for Alonso despite the Ferrari has shown to be extremely competitive in this type of layouts this season.

Edited by juandiego, 09 November 2010 - 13:58.

#5533 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,669 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:15

I don't know whether or not he's wrong but at least I perceive a strange logic in his reasoning. Oddly enough, Mark Hughes seems to downplay Alonso-Ferrari chances in Abu Dhabi for being slower than the Bulls at Interlagos, and disregard the same argumentation to consider the McLaren-Hamilton combo a candidate for pole position and the victory in Abu Dhabi while admitting this combo was even slower than Alonso on the Interlagos lay-out. According to him, the specific layout of the Abu Dhabi circuit will be an important improvement factor for Hamilton but this is not taken into account, not even mentioned, for Alonso despite the Ferrari has shown to be extremely competitive in this type of layouts this season.

Mark Hughes has a fairly clear pro-Hamilton/McLaren bias which would explain the reasoning.

#5534 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,319 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 13:15

I don't know whether or not he's wrong but at least I perceive a strange logic in his reasoning. Oddly enough, Mark Hughes seems to downplay Alonso-Ferrari chances in Abu Dhabi for being slower than the Bulls at Interlagos, and disregard the same argumentation to consider the McLaren-Hamilton combo a candidate for pole position and the victory in Abu Dhabi while admitting this combo was even slower than Alonso on the Interlagos lay-out. According to him, the specific layout of the Abu Dhabi circuit will be an important improvement factor for Hamilton but this is not taken into account, not even mentioned, for Alonso despite the Ferrari has shown to be extremely competitive in this type of layouts this season.

As Engel said. It's just a silly piece of journalism and it's not worth the paper it was written on. The guy needs to take a step back and think before he writes.

#5535 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 13:21

Red Bull team orders farce is getting really tiresome. To the point that I don't really care now how it ends.

I care how it ends, but I am becoming tired of the Red Bull "no team orders' stance - one can understand their dislike of the German result , but I can't recall any team that hasn't resorted to team orders when it was possible to make one of their drivers WDC in the final one or two races. It's time that Red Bull acted like a TEAM. Still - as an Alonso fan I find the whole thing vastly amusing - though I feel for Webber. Can you imagine if they finish 1-2-3 (Vettel, Webber, Alonso) at Abu Dhabi??? There's a podium ceremony and post race interview I wouldn't want to miss...

#5536 SuRGe

SuRGe

• 95 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 13:40

Can you imagine if they finish 1-2-3 (Vettel, Webber, Alonso) at Abu Dhabi??? There's a podium ceremony and post race interview I wouldn't want to miss...

That would be epic...

#5537 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 14:32

I care how it ends, but I am becoming tired of the Red Bull "no team orders' stance - one can understand their dislike of the German result , but I can't recall any team that hasn't resorted to team orders when it was possible to make one of their drivers WDC in the final one or two races. It's time that Red Bull acted like a TEAM. Still - as an Alonso fan I find the whole thing vastly amusing - though I feel for Webber. Can you imagine if they finish 1-2-3 (Vettel, Webber, Alonso) at Abu Dhabi??? There's a podium ceremony and post race interview I wouldn't want to miss...

I think they are very tiring with it not because they were "outraged by that blatant mockery" in Germany, but because it comes as a very handy excuse not to put their weight behind Webber, as any team would have done.

#5538 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,494 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 14:51

I don't care for Hughes' analysis, either, but I think the Red Bull is significantly faster than the Ferrari. Webber is lacking bite and Vettel is clearly being protected by the team (who would look silly if Webber won the championship in spite of everything). But I think that should Vettel be first, Webber second and Alonso sufficiently far away, Vettel will concede the place.

Therefore, things are not easy for Alonso. Unless he can split the Red Bulls (or even come before them, as he has done previously), he must rely on luck.

Let's wait and see, but I sincerely think Alonso deserves the title this year.

#5539 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,050 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 17:18

There is one scenario that I find interesting, 1-Vettel, 2-Webber, 3-Alonso, 1-2 seconds between each one. I wonder if they will take the risk of doing the switch.

Advertisement

#5540 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,319 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 17:32

There is one scenario that I find interesting, 1-Vettel, 2-Webber, 3-Alonso, 1-2 seconds between each one. I wonder if they will take the risk of doing the switch.

Of course they would. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain in a situation like that.

#5541 GPmaster

GPmaster

• 455 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 17:38

We just need a win and we gonna do it. :smoking:

#5542 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 17:42

Ferrari are fast when the track is not bumpy and consisting of slow corners and long straights (Hockenheim S1 and S2 if you want). Abu Dhabi is like that, and Webber looked lost in Germany. I'm quite optimistic.

VET-WEB-ALO would be #1 scenario though, how hilarious :drunk:

My post # 2000 :love:

Edited by jeze, 09 November 2010 - 17:43.

#5543 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,050 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 17:45

Of course they would. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain in a situation like that.

With Fernando that close, the swap could backfire, Vettel let Webber pass, Alonso overtake Vettel because they are very close and Alonso win the title. Hypothetically speaking, this could be an big embarrasament for them.

#5544 kandru

kandru

• 178 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 18:04

With Fernando that close, the swap could backfire, Vettel let Webber pass, Alonso overtake Vettel because they are very close and Alonso win the title. Hypothetically speaking, this could be an big embarrasament for them.

they lose nothing if it backfires though, as they are not leading the championship. They've got everything to win

#5545 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 20:11

Ferrari are fast when the track is not bumpy and consisting of slow corners and long straights (Hockenheim S1 and S2 if you want). Abu Dhabi is like that, and Webber looked lost in Germany. I'm quite optimistic.

It's scenario I'd love to believe but I think that Red Bull have continued to make strides where other's haven't.... I'm expecting Alonso to have a VERY hard time cracking the front row in qualy....

#5546 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 20:14

It's scenario I'd love to believe but I think that Red Bull have continued to make strides where other's haven't.... I'm expecting Alonso to have a VERY hard time cracking the front row in qualy....

Fernando was 0.2 off in Korea - which is relatively similar to Abu Dhabi, only with a couple off fast kinks. In a dry qualifying in Brazil the difference would've been the same IMHO. It's still looking good :clap:

#5547 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 20:32

Alonso must do the best qualifying lap of his life this saturday to beat both Red Bulls.

#5548 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 20:33

Fernando was 0.2 off in Korea - which is relatively similar to Abu Dhabi, only with a couple off fast kinks. In a dry qualifying in Brazil the difference would've been the same IMHO. It's still looking good :clap:

I hope you're right mate - but I tend to be a cynic.... :cry: :lol:

#5549 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,319 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 20:34

It's going to have to be a stonker of a lap that's for sure. Alonso thrives on these types of tracks though. Third might be better than second on the grid at this track in any event.

#5550 as65p

as65p

• 17,500 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 20:35

TBH, if Webber wins on his own accord, beating Vettel in what must be the highest pressure situation he ever experienced in F1, I would be just as happy as with Alonso winning it (well, almost ;) ). I don't agree with everything he says or entirely how he handled himself at RB, but he really DOES work in a difficult environment there with wunderkind Vettel as the teams favourite, and overall he did himself proud, perfomance-wise in any case.

If Webber would be let through by Vettel though, it would be a bit of a downer, even if entirely justified.

Edited by as65p, 09 November 2010 - 20:38.