Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#5551 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,930 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 20:41

TBH, if Webber wins on his own accord, beating Vettel in what must be the highest pressure situation he ever experienced in F1, I would be just as happy as with Alonso winning it (well, almost ;) ). I don't agree with everything he says or entirely how he handled himself at RB, but he really DOES work in a difficult environment there with wunderkind Vettel as the teams favourite, and overall he did himself proud, perfomance-wise in any case.

I on the other hand don't care who wins it if it ain't a Ferrari driver as long as it's not one of the Mclaren drivers.

Mclaren have made me hate them more this year after Germany and Button can't seem to keep his mouth shut about it. I wish they develop another dog next year.

Advertisement

#5552 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 20:43

TBH, if Webber wins on his own accord, beating Vettel in what must be the highest pressure situation he ever experienced in F1, I would be just as happy as with Alonso winning it (well, almost ;) ). I don't agree with everything he says or entirely how he handled himself at RB, but he really DOES work in a difficult environment there with wunderkind Vettel as the teams favourite, and overall he did himself proud, perfomance-wise in any case.

If Webber would be let through by Vettel though, it would be a bit of a downer, even if entirely justified.

Yeah - I'd not mind at all if Webber wins it - hard not to like and respect the guy. Still - I hope the season goes out with a stunning race and an emphatic win - regardless of who that is. Having Webber win by being waved past would be entirely legitimate but a bit of an anti-climax. I'd not be as keen on a Vettel win - not that I don't like the guy - just that that would mean that Alonso had had problems or a VERY weak result, which again, would be an anti-climax after recent races.

#5553 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 20:57

Who is Felipe? I´m so tired about this. I´ve been waiting race after race Felipe being a true Ferrari driver again.... but what i´ve been seen race after race is a mediocre driver who gave Alonso 8 points at Germany GP, of course, but a driver who gave Ferrari rivals too many points (far far above from 8).
I hope he just has realized he must stop whining, talk at track and become again the old days Felipe. I really hope it and i really hope it´s not too late.

I agree with a lot of your post.

Felipe Massa has given a lot more than eight points to the opposition. This must have angered his team to the point of absolutely putting all the weight on Fernando Alonso from Hockenheim. Domenicalli's most recent remarks -today on Autosport.com- where he states that "RBR have the advantage of having two drivers" is in my opinion a clear indication that Felipe has not impressed Ferrari this year.

#5554 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,754 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 17:09

New blog entry.

http://www.ferrari.c...hing-right.aspx

and rest assured we’ll be giving everything to achieve it!

Go for it! :clap: :up:

#5555 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,930 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 17:15

Bring it home!

#5556 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 18:36

I am quite scared what will happen this weekend. If Red Bulls get pole and P2, it's over for Alonso, he won't be able to do anything about it... :(

#5557 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,930 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 18:47

I am quite scared what will happen this weekend. If Red Bulls get pole and P2, it's over for Alonso, he won't be able to do anything about it... :(

P3 at the start might not be such a bad thing.

#5558 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 18:59

I am just mentally prepping myself for a Vettel win and WDC. That way it can only get better.

#5559 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,956 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 19:02

It's likely that RB will lock out the front row in qualy, but I expect Alonso to show some brilliance in the race and overtake one of them to win the WDC. As much as I dislike Alonso, I respect his talent just as much.

Advertisement

#5560 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 00:18

Hope you enjoy this one :)

Even the King supports Alonso

Turun Sanomat 11.11 2010

The tensions in F1-top are at their highest when the drivers' championship is for the first time settled in the Middle East desert. On Wednesday evening the air was most relaxing - 28 degrees in the velvet night.

At least the Abu Dhabi GP-machinery is okay. Like last year Yas Marina stands for Sunday are sold out.

There are big shots coming to the place to support their own. World championship leader Fernando Alonso will get the support of the King of Spain himself, Juan Carlos. The King has earlier also been in races and usually brought good luck to Alonso.

Since Tuesday Juan Carlos has been on a private trip in the Persian Gulf and he will be the guest of Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah in Kuwait until Sunday.

Red Bull tycoon Dietrich Mateschitz again flew in with a private plane and after he is done with doing business elsewhere he will go to Abu Dhabi on Sunday to witness a possible historic victory.

Luca di Montezemolo again already started drumming in Italy about his team's strenght because Ferrari has without two exceptions - 2005 and 2009 - always been in the last GP race fighting for the WDC.

In fact Ferrari has come out as champion only once of the three last times - 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Turun Sanomat, Abu Dhabi

HEIKKI KULTA

#5561 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:20

I am grateful this His Majesty is coming to support Alonso, hopefully this can give Alonso the extra luck and inspiration he needs for a brilliant qualifying and race!

#5562 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:43

I'm not so sure about his son, but the current King of Spain is quite cool :up:

#5563 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:44

I'm also nervous about this weekend. It seems qualifying and the first corner are the only chances Alonso has, but at the same time I'm trying not to be pessimistic about it. The races where I've been optimistic about Fernando's chances this year (like Brazil) are often the ones that have gone wrong, the ones where I haven't had much hope (Korea in the rain), things have gone much better.
I just hope we will get a good finale, though, to what has been a great season. Brazil was actually quite a boring race once the first few laps were done, and a similar race this weekend would be a real anti-climax. Red Bulls driving off into the distance, leaving Fernando third, then Vettel moving over for Webber on the last lap would be the worst thing that could happen and would give us a very miserable podium (Fernando cos he loses the WDC, Vettel cos he hands it over to Webber, and Webber cos he'll be accused of having inherited the title from his teammate). Anything is better than that.
I have a horrible feeling that Vettel might somehow sneak it (if Alonso DNFs), but desperately hope that won't be the case and that Fernando can do this.

#5564 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:58

I'm not so sure about his son, but the current King of Spain is quite cool :up:

How loud this sounded on TV? :lol:

Posted Image

#5565 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:11

I didn't know that Ashley Giles was an Alonso supporter! ;)

#5566 PedroR

PedroR

• 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:11

Posted Image

Jejeje... King is kool :smoking:

This is the Spanish reporter Antonio Lobato (Alonso´s friend and very popular reporter in Spain)

#5567 figue

figue

• 190 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:17

Posted Image

like this :rotfl: :rotfl:

#5568 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,930 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 16:59

Fernando seems really focussed judging from the press conference.

He bluntly puts a stop to all the crappy questions about Vettel and Webber and says he is here to win it on his own.

Forza.

#5569 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,754 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 17:27

http://www.ferrari.c..._Abu_Dhabi.aspx

The video :rotfl:

#5570 juandiego

juandiego

• 395 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 17:44

I didn't know that Ashley Giles was an Alonso supporter! ;)

That's hilarious. :lol:

#5571 juandiego

juandiego

• 395 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 17:49

Ok, now that we are joking, I'll tell one I read in the rival forum. :)

The people in Dubai don't like the flintstones, but the people in Abu Dhabi do!

#5572 GPmaster

GPmaster

• 455 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 18:04

http://www.ferrari.c..._Abu_Dhabi.aspx

The video :rotfl:

LOL :rotfl:

#5573 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,930 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 18:11

Ok, now that we are joking, I'll tell one I read in the rival forum. :)

The people in Dubai don't like the flintstones, but the people in Abu Dhabi do!

One of those stale, funny jokes. :up:

#5574 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 328 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 19:40

FA is a puto crack!

from PC:

Q. So it has still got some mileage?

FA: Plenty.

next question. come on!

for non spanish readers:
puto crack= master of the universe. Aprox.

Edited by pikamoku, 11 November 2010 - 19:41.

#5575 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 20:52

Posted Image

#5576 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 21:39

Posted Image

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#5577 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 21:46

That face is priceless :lol:

And he actually loses everything he had in his pocket at 0:34 (it looks like cards or something):

Posted Image

#5578 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 21:47

I wonder whether Alonso will have the balls to let himself drop to 5th in the final laps of the race when Vettel is leading Webber with himself in 3rd to create tension between the Red Bull drivers and hoping he is able to pass one car before the chequered flag.

#5579 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 21:51

I think some people are really unrealistic.

As much as I have a low opinion on Alonso I feel he'd never drop to 5th place just to spite Vettel, that would be just childish and really unprofessional. Alonso is usually fair towards his competitors from other teams, he usually has a problem with his team/teammates.

It seems to me like some Alonso fans have actually lower opinion on him than I do :)

Advertisement

#5580 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,751 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 21:52

Posted Image

Great picture! What also makes me laugh is some Massa fans have dedicated their lives to hating Alonso. At the same time Massa is riding roller coasters with Fernando and laughing their asses off together.

#5581 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 21:57

Hamilton opened a twitter account recently. Now it's Alonso's turn!!! :p

Anyway, Alonso doesn't like social networks very much. He said it in a interview.

#5582 flyingman

flyingman

• 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 22:04

I wonder whether Alonso will have the balls to let himself drop to 5th in the final laps of the race when Vettel is leading Webber with himself in 3rd to create tension between the Red Bull drivers and hoping he is able to pass one car before the chequered flag.

That is not gonna happen. And not only because of fair play (in fact, I don`t think it would be playing dirty. It would be... tricky. As fair as it could be Red Bulls changing positions), but for practical reasons. First of all, many of you seem to forget how hard it is for a f1 overtaking another one, even a much slower one... (and the 4th of the race could very well be a Hamilton, or a Kubica, or a Schumacher or a Rosberg...easy??) ... you are talking as if Fernando (or any pilot) could decide where and when to overtake, or when not to... it is not that easy. They overtake when THE CAN, and very often, they just CAN`T.

Besides

Option 1: Alonso drops to 5th, and then, Vettel engine goes "kaboom"... Webber up to P1, Alonso to P4, even gaining P3, Webber WDC... and Alonso`s biggest ridiculous ever
Option 2: Alonso drops to 5th, and then it`s Webber`s engine which goes kaboom. Vettel 1st and Alonso 4th, if Fernando cannot overtake the one he has in front, again, loses WDC and performes biggest ridiculous ever

No, not an option at all...

#5583 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 22:23

Hamilton: "I'm surprised how he was able to take the pain of having his legs waxed. We noticed as we were walking in. Mark [Webber] pointed it out and was asking: 'How far has it gone up?' I was like: 'Wow, they are shiny.' :lol:

"So I'm impressed he can do that. That shows his mental state. But I think he has shown over the years how solid he is mentally. He just doesn't care. You ask him questions about Germany and he just doesn't care."

http://www.guardian....onso-legs-waxed

#5584 P123

P123

• 8,353 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 22:41

Great picture! What also makes me laugh is some Massa fans have dedicated their lives to hating Alonso. At the same time Massa is riding roller coasters with Fernando and laughing their asses off together.

I think that's a PR exercise (Ferrari Disneyesque themepark), not a fun day at the fair for a couple of mates. Of course none of the drivers dislike or disrespect each other anywhere near to what their small handful of extreme fans on various internet BBs would like to think.

#5585 P123

P123

• 8,353 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 22:53

Hamilton: "I'm surprised how he was able to take the pain of having his legs waxed. We noticed as we were walking in. Mark [Webber] pointed it out and was asking: 'How far has it gone up?' I was like: 'Wow, they are shiny.' :lol:

"So I'm impressed he can do that. That shows his mental state. But I think he has shown over the years how solid he is mentally. He just doesn't care. You ask him questions about Germany and he just doesn't care."

http://www.guardian....onso-legs-waxed

Must be what this is all about (courtesy of Alx on the Caption thread)

Posted Image

:lol:

#5586 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:22

I wonder how Alonso will act if Vettel wins Abu Dab wins with Webber 2nd and therefore Alonso gets the WDC, thereby basically only having the WDC because Vettel gave it to him. Would be very strange feeling...

Hopefully Alonso will do better than 3rd and so it will be simple (i.e. no gift).

Edited by 2ms, 12 November 2010 - 09:24.

#5587 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:55

I wonder how Alonso will act if Vettel wins Abu Dab wins with Webber 2nd and therefore Alonso gets the WDC, thereby basically only having the WDC because Vettel gave it to him. Would be very strange feeling...

Hopefully Alonso will do better than 3rd and so it will be simple (i.e. no gift).

The staff for these teams work extremely hard and long hours and the drivers are actually turning the wheel. I'm getting a bit sick of insults from the so-called fans on who doesn't deserve what. If Alonso's car gets to the end, I dare you to suggest to the Ferrari mechanics who didn't sleep all night, that their pay bonus was a 'gift'.

#5588 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:04

I think some people are really unrealistic.

As much as I have a low opinion on Alonso I feel he'd never drop to 5th place just to spite Vettel, that would be just childish and really unprofessional. Alonso is usually fair towards his competitors from other teams, he usually has a problem with his team/teammates.

Your low opinion is unfounded, as Alonso doesn't 'usually' have a problem with his team mates. You've fallen for the gutter media bullshit that there's no love lost, and yet there are photos almost after every race of Alonso either hugging, shaking hands or patting Lewis and Felipe on the back. Something rivalries such as Schumacher and Hill never had.

#5589 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,754 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:30

British press attacking Alonso again.

http://www.fia.com/e...ference-sat.pdf

Loosers :down:

#5590 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:41

News of the world = gutter press.

#5591 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:45

From twitter-

adamcooperf1
#F1 Lewis Hamilton when told that Spanish fans want to him win and beat Vettel: "That's definitely a first!

Amusing, but this is all very odd, sort of feels wrong that they're not going toe to toe (alonso and hamilton I mean)

Edited by robefc, 13 November 2010 - 17:45.

#5592 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:48

Alonso was majestic. Again. He is miles and miles a

biove the others.

#5593 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,174 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:51

Hahaha they are looking more and more miffed I like it. They look like a bunch of mobs.

#5594 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,930 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:03

I still don't know how he managed that lap. Cold tyres and a mistake at the hairpin...

#5595 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,256 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:04

From twitter-

adamcooperf1
#F1 Lewis Hamilton when told that Spanish fans want to him win and beat Vettel: "That's definitely a first!

Amusing, but this is all very odd, sort of feels wrong that they're not going toe to toe (alonso and hamilton I mean)

That´s everything but odd. In 2004 in Spain people was talking shit about Schumacher being FIA´s baby, in 2005 Räikkönen was the cause of Mclaren´s poor reliablility, in 2006 Schumacher was the devil again, and in 2007... well you know. That´s how fans/media go here, everyone who gets in Alonso´s way is the devil. Last year Sebastian was a funny young promise, now that he´s a threat he´s team manipulator and a bad teammate.

#5596 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:14

I still don't know how he managed that lap. Cold tyres and a mistake at the hairpin...

Being bloody good :up:

#5597 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:20

Hahaha they are looking more and more miffed I like it. They look like a bunch of mobs.

You need more than one person to form a mob, surely?

And equating the News of the World with the British Press does the British press a great disservice.

Also very amused with the NOTW suddenly quoting Max Mosley's opinion :lol:

#5598 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:20

I'm not sure I really mean this but I am currently thinking the following -

a) I desperately want alonso, vettel and webber's engines to blow up at the start and allow lewis to stroll to victory

but if that can't happen

b) I'll be glad if it's alonso that takes the title.

Beforehand I wanted webber to win if lewis didn't but, although I like the guy and it would be a good story, I don't think he's good enough to be WDC. He's been outperformed for the majority of the season by his teammate who has had far worse luck than him. He made a crucial mistake in Korea, he's quialified poorly here, he was at least as much to blame as hamilton in singapore but came away with 15 points...sentimental/good story reasons aside I genuinely don't think he'll be deserving.

As much as alonso becoming a 3xWDC rather than lewis 2xWDC will be painful, the guy's simply better than mark and driven better over the course of the season, despite his early errors.

And of course if lewis finishes within 24 or so points of fred I'll console myself with the fact tthat he points gap is less than the extra points he lost through mechanical DNFs without even having to think about germany! :p

#5599 monolulu

monolulu

• 126 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:30

a) I desperately want alonso, vettel and webber's engines to blow up at the start and allow lewis to stroll to victory

but if that can't happen

Beforehand I wanted webber to win if lewis didn't but, although I like the guy and it would be a good story, I don't think he's good enough to be WDC. He's been outperformed for the majority of the season by his teammate who has had far worse luck than him. He made a crucial mistake in Korea, he's quialified poorly here, he was at least as much to blame as hamilton in singapore but came away with 15 points...sentimental/good story reasons aside I genuinely don't think he'll be deserving.

As much as alonso becoming a 3xWDC rather than lewis 2xWDC will be painful, the guy's simply better than mark and driven better over the course of the season, despite his early errors.

And of course if lewis finishes within 24 or so points of fred I'll console myself with the fact tthat he points gap is less than the extra points he lost through mechanical DNFs without even having to think about germany! :p

:up: As a Lewis fan.

Advertisement

#5600 Coral

Coral

• 2,767 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 19:09

but if that can't happen

:up:
If Lewis can't be WDC then it has to be Alonso (can't believe I'm saying that)! :drunk: I still maintain that Lewis and Alonso are the two best drivers on the grid. I am still not yet convinced about Vettel...yes he is fast but that Red Bull is the class of the field. Webber is a little like Massa...a good driver when given the best car but otherwise just short of top class. The strange thing is, I will probably be happier about an Alonso WDC than I was about Button last year! Lewis and Fernando do seem to get on far better nowadays as well...I think they have a healthy respect for one another.