Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#5601 chapilinux

chapilinux

• 136 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 19:46

I still don't know how he managed that lap. Cold tyres and a mistake at the hairpin...

He explains how in that pdf:

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi – La Gazzetta dello Sport) Fernando, could you explain to us your
last lap, because in the first sector you were not very fast and at the end you made a
miracle?

FA: Well, I think at the first attempt in Q3 we had some traffic in the last sector, so when we put on
the second set of tyres, I was convinced that the last sector was our best possibility to improve the
lap we did before, so first and second sector we saved the tyres a little bit. Obviously we were
running with the super soft tyres but they get very hot towards the end of the lap, so taking the lap
very calm, even though it was Q3 and the last attempt, you need

Advertisement

#5602 dav115

dav115

• 716 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 20:12

I hate to say it (I can't stand the guy), but as far as I'm concerned Alonso has been ****ing stunning in the last part of this season, and I really hope he goes on to win the title (I'm now a Webber -> Alonso convert). That final Q3 performance despite coasting the last part of his outlap in traffic was something else. On a side note, was Massa playing the team game by letting Alonso pass him at the end of the outlap (so as to avoid Fernando's tyres cooling down even more before his critical Q3 run)?

#5603 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,172 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 23:34

So for all of you that root for Fernando and Ferrari, here goes my video:

2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Finale

#5604 Lights

Lights

• 9,321 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 23:44

I'm not sure I really mean this but I am currently thinking the following -

a) I desperately want alonso, vettel and webber's engines to blow up at the start and allow lewis to stroll to victory

but if that can't happen

b) I'll be glad if it's alonso that takes the title.

Beforehand I wanted webber to win if lewis didn't but, although I like the guy and it would be a good story, I don't think he's good enough to be WDC. He's been outperformed for the majority of the season by his teammate who has had far worse luck than him. He made a crucial mistake in Korea, he's quialified poorly here, he was at least as much to blame as hamilton in singapore but came away with 15 points...sentimental/good story reasons aside I genuinely don't think he'll be deserving.

As much as alonso becoming a 3xWDC rather than lewis 2xWDC will be painful, the guy's simply better than mark and driven better over the course of the season, despite his early errors.

And of course if lewis finishes within 24 or so points of fred I'll console myself with the fact tthat he points gap is less than the extra points he lost through mechanical DNFs without even having to think about germany! :p

Yes, exactly :up:

#5605 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,531 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 00:09

:up:
If Lewis can't be WDC then it has to be Alonso (can't believe I'm saying that)! :drunk: I still maintain that Lewis and Alonso are the two best drivers on the grid. I am still not yet convinced about Vettel...yes he is fast but that Red Bull is the class of the field. Webber is a little like Massa...a good driver when given the best car but otherwise just short of top class. The strange thing is, I will probably be happier about an Alonso WDC than I was about Button last year! Lewis and Fernando do seem to get on far better nowadays as well...I think they have a healthy respect for one another.

I am no fan of Alonso but he has been the most complete driver over the last part of the season - the critical part. He has kept his cool and already driven like a 3X WDC.

Lewis has pulled some unbelievable performances out of his hat, but Monza really screwed things up. It set him up badly for the championship run.

Vettel is so fast but I don't think he has the racecraft just yet. However, if his car didn't let him down, Mark would not have had a chance.

Of the title contenders those are the 3 that I think really would deserve it without qualification.

Webber has driven well at times - Monaco and Silverstone, but too many mistakes and he hit Lewis off early in the season. Button though close to Hamilton has not ever appeared to be in the same league as the 3 above.

#5606 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,732 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:43

I like Alonso, but I'm no fan (nobody's fan), but I feel today that if he wins the Championship he'll enter the hall of F1 Legends. He really deserves it, being the most complete driver of the last ultra-competitive years.

#5607 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:48

I like Alonso, but I'm no fan (nobody's fan), but I feel today that if he wins the Championship he'll enter the hall of F1 Legends. He really deserves it, being the most complete driver of the last ultra-competitive years.

Not Alonso fan but I agree with you, I still dislike him though :)

I think he's under massive pressure in last race, and if he can get a good result it will definitely impress me.

Edited by velgajski1, 14 November 2010 - 08:49.

#5608 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,732 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:49

Not Alonso fan but I agree with you, I still dislike him though :)

Why?

#5609 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:57

Why?

I think he's an ass :lol:

#5610 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:21

Today is the day, the day Fernando could become the youngest driver to win 3 WDC in Formula 1 history. The day he could become a legend.

Godspeed Fernando. :up:

#5611 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,732 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:46

I think he's an ass :lol:

Clever answer, but I thought asses used to like other asses :rotfl:

#5612 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,340 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:54

The key to Alonso's probable 3rd World Title is not his driving as such, but his knowledge that he knew RedBull would screw up, despite have a car advantage not seen in many years. This is the key difference between him and Hamilton this year, where Hamilton thought he had to go all out to catch the RBRs, when in fact, he didn't.

RBR really do need to fix up!

#5613 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:06

The key to Alonso's probable 3rd World Title is not his driving as such, but his knowledge that he knew RedBull would screw up, despite have a car advantage not seen in many years. This is the key difference between him and Hamilton this year, where Hamilton thought he had to go all out to catch the RBRs, when in fact, he didn't.

RBR really do need to fix up!

Oh come on he drove like a champ, period. That was the key, win or lose today, that was the key that led to an impressive comeback.

#5614 JKTRacing

JKTRacing

• 184 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:51

Most people think Alonso is an ass because they think he is arrogant, when in fact he is simply confident, the same confidence and self believe all the great champions had.

If Alonso wins today, he will became one of the greatest, and this season will not be remember as the season Red Bull dominated, but a season where a driver had the balls to say he was going to be world champion after a DNF and 46 points behind.

#5615 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:54

Most people think Alonso is an ass because they think he is arrogant, when in fact he is simply confident, the same confidence and self believe all the great champions had.

If Alonso wins today, he will became one of the greatest, and this season will not be remember as the season Red Bull dominated, but a season where a driver had the balls to say he was going to be world champion after a DNF and 46 points behind.

No, I thought MS was arrogant but not an ass (or at least not much as Alonso) :)

What I dislike about Alonso is that he is extremely self-centered and paranoid as Symonds and Ron Dennis have confirmed. Not speaking about private life though, he may be totally different, but as a driver he did lots of really immature things in his career.

About being great champion, no doubt about it, he was really great this season as in 2005 and 2006.

Edited by velgajski1, 14 November 2010 - 10:55.

#5616 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:17

Nervous as hell but hoping Alonso can deliver today. A huge amount obviously depends on the start and first lap and then the issue of tyre degradation. Alonso is in a good position but everything could look very different after turn one. Just gotta hope for the best now. This next 1h45mins are going to go very, very slowly!

#5617 figue

figue

• 190 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:23

No, I thought MS was arrogant but not an ass (or at least not much as Alonso) :)

What I dislike about Alonso is that he is extremely self-centered and paranoid as Symonds and Ron Dennis have confirmed. Not speaking about private life though, he may be totally different, but as a driver he did lots of really immature things in his career.

About being great champion, no doubt about it, he was really great this season as in 2005 and 2006.

"great alonso's friend" dennis? ahh yeahhh, I see it clear now!!!

I reckon you don't speak spanish, if you did so I can bombard this thread with the real fernando, the corporate, forced and skill-limited english speaker you see in the races has absolutely nothing to do with the real, natural spanish speaker fernando
I guarantee your perception would change 180 degrees about him

#5618 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:25

Nervous as hell but hoping Alonso can deliver today. A huge amount obviously depends on the start and first lap and then the issue of tyre degradation. Alonso is in a good position but everything could look very different after turn one. Just gotta hope for the best now. This next 1h45mins are going to go very, very slowly!

I can imagine, I'm a Lewis fan so chances are really slim but still very excited about ending of this 'classic' season.

#5619 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:29

Avanti Fer! Avanti! :)

Advertisement

#5620 Alondra

Alondra

• 131 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:30

Good luck Fernando. Bring it home.

#5621 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,145 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:38

Oh lawwwdddd! This is killing me, 50 minutes to go before Pre-Race show starts and im already a wreck...

Edit: FORZA FERNANDO!

Edited by Richard T, 14 November 2010 - 11:39.

#5622 jigc

jigc

• 167 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:54

alonso, bring it home. if you could not, just bring yourself home, and wait for next year!
may luck with u :up: :clap:

#5623 Kerch

Kerch

• 1,068 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:46

Posted Image

#5624 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:49

LOL at him crying to Petrov after the race hahaha

#5625 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:49

bad loser :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :wave:

#5626 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:51

LOL at him crying to Petrov after the race hahaha

Agreed. He desevers this fail...

#5627 JazH

JazH

• 382 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:52

Doesn't matter. He had a good season.

#5628 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,340 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:53

Surprised to see Alonso choke so bad! :cool:

#5629 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

A good second half season you mean. The first half wasn´t worthy a 2X WDC which he is

#5630 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Extremely disappointing.
Also disappointing to see him shaking his fist at Petrov. Actions of a bad loser and I hope he will apologise for that.

#5631 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,387 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:54

He really did. People with an agenda will enjoy this moment here today, but deep down, they'll all know that Alonso is the real deal. Massa looked like a chump compared to him and Alonso took it down to the very last race with a good shot still. It wasn't Alonso's fault that Ferrari's strategists messed it up.

#5632 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Fantastic second part of the season but very dissapointed with gesture toward Petrov. At least he is not blaming the team for the strategy.

#5633 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

What happened to mr 0,6s today?

probably his worst drive ever. what a way to choke the title.

#5634 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:55

Tough race for Alonso - I'd be pissed too. Ferrari's fault though - they reacted to Webber - which was a stupid move.

#5635 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,387 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:55

Surprised to see Alonso choke so bad! :cool:

Unless you're implying that Alonso chose to come in to the pits when he did all on his own, I'm not sure when he choked. :well:

I think some people are enjoying this a bit too much. If anything, all this bashing we're seeing is just a sign of how poor some of you are in terms of good sportsmanship.

#5636 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:56

He ran into a "tilke track" and poor team strategy - but I'm sure YOU would have done better, eh? :rotfl:

#5637 Radoye

Radoye

• 827 posts

Also disappointing to see him shaking his fist at Petrov. Actions of a bad loser and I hope he will apologise for that.

So much talent but no class whatsoever! Shame on Alonso!

#5638 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 366 posts

Ret
7 WTF?

He was spot on with his prediction, he needed all podiums to get the championship. It would've been a good run, but alas it wasn't to be.

He needs to learn some sportsmanship from Felipe though, giving Petrov the fist like that.

#5639 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:57

If you just want to troll then shut up and pi*s off. It was by no means his 'worst drive ever'. A catastrophic tactical decision by Ferrari and being stuck behind Petrov is bad - but Hamilton couldn't pass Kubica either. Just wasn't meant to be.

Advertisement

#5640 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,340 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:57

Unless you're implying that Alonso chose to come in to the pits when he did all on his own, I'm not sure when he choked. :well:

I think some people are enjoying this a bit too much. If anything, all this bashing we're seeing is just a sign of how poor some of you are in terms of good sportsmanship.

hehe I am just giving the Alonso fans back the stick they gave Hamilton in 2007, when other factors effected his title bid as well.

Alonso is great, but you kinda feel their was a level of Karma for Ferrari over what happened in Germany.

#5641 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 14:58

Fernando is a real fighter & a great sportman...

:D :D :D

#5642 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:00

Well, no wonder why Alonso's engineer got on the radio to explain why they pitted him so early "Webber was setting fastest lap"

In any case, Alonso in the #3 WCC car was the only driver in the grid bringing the figth to the Bulls.

Well done Fernando!!!

#5643 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 320 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:00

All in all a very good 1st year for Alonso at Ferrari.

Today Ferrari/Alonso were too cautious.

#5644 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:02

Extremely disappointing.

I feel the same. Crappy of him to shake his fist.

#5645 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:05

Alonso just mentioned at bbc he overtook in victories lauda and fangio. you are nowhere their level fonzo.

#5646 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

He really did. People with an agenda will enjoy this moment here today, but deep down, they'll all know that Alonso is the real deal. Massa looked like a chump compared to him and Alonso took it down to the very last race with a good shot still. It wasn't Alonso's fault that Ferrari's strategists messed it up.

As a Kimi supporter I´ve seen some of those... people with agenda blaa, blaa, blaa. Ridiculous comment :down:
Alonso´s fault is that he couldn´t deliver when it really was needed. Get over with it.

(and peace :) )

#5647 inaki

inaki

• 2,421 posts

If you just want to troll then shut up and pi*s off. It was by no means his 'worst drive ever'. A catastrophic tactical decision by Ferrari and being stuck behind Petrov is bad - but Hamilton couldn't pass Kubica either. Just wasn't meant to be.

There was not a single overtake among any driver from winner (Seb) to 8th position (Webber) at least.

#5648 Verderer

Verderer

• 591 posts

How ironic that it was Renault, the team that gave him his championships, that now prevented him from reaching another one...although there was Nico in front of him too.

Disastrous move to pit him so early, that basically ruined his race. Alonso must think Ferrari let him down now. I am not surprised by his behaviour towards Petrov at all.

So now that Alonso didn't bring the championship for Ferrari in his first season there, after replacing Kimi, we can say hiring Alonso was a bad move, and he's been a major failure, hm? Money well spent?

#5649 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:06

Alonso didn't lose the WDC today but in the first part of the season, winning the championship after Silverstone would have been a miracle.

#5650 inaki

inaki

• 2,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:07

Alonso just mentioned at bbc he overtook in victories lauda and fangio. you are nowhere their level fonzo.

I did not see Fangio.
But Fernando is much better than what Lauda was.