Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#5801 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,655 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 17:47

Well but he still is the best rider on the grid, by a huge margin also (I think I should add that). Shame you can't see it, you must think your fav is a legend.

Yep, I see Hamilton and Vettel as better drivers. Both too young to be legends though.

Advertisement

#5802 lafitek

lafitek

• 325 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 17:51

That was still brilliant season. Ok, Vettel is WDC, but Alonso is clearly nr 1 driver in Ferrari. He will stay in Ferari for many years, probably next 7-8, so I'm calm. The title will come sooner or later, although there is something inside me what tells me that Red Bull can dominate F1 in next years. That is my biggest fear.

he will be replaced in less than 2 years with vettel or hamilton.... ;)

#5803 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 17:52

I repectfully disagree. Getting his 3rd would have put him way ahead of his peers. Now it is very possible that next year Vettel or Hamilton will also be 2x WDC.

Plus they are both younger than him

#5804 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 17:53

You're right in pointing out Alonso's mistake at the start. However, even with that in mind, he was 4th and that's all he needed. It is quite well documented this year that Ferrari has been awful with their starts. Hindsight is great but I feel that most fans watching would've cringed when they saw FA come into the pits to cover Webber. It just didn't make sense and after that Petrov was really superb. Alonso gesticulated at the end, not great, but his comments to the BBC and on TV were very sportsmanlike.

Again, I don't really see how he choked this weekend. Legitimately, Button should've been third in qualifying if not for his mistake; Fernando was fourth fastest. As you rightly pointed out, his start was horrendous but it was still under control and Ferrari should've managed it. It just seems like they focused on the wrong red bull driver and lost sight of the bigger picture. This was also evident in them not queuing up their cars in qualifying properly otherwise Massa would have done a proper final qualifying lap and have been further ahead of some drivers.

Wrong. Massa is starting just fine. Alonso is not a good starter. Never was.

#5805 marcm

marcm

• 168 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 17:55

Wrong. Massa is starting just fine. Alonso is not a good starter. Never was.

If that's true how come Massa was under pressure from the cars behind him at the start too?

#5806 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 17:56

Yep, I see Hamilton and Vettel as better drivers. Both too young to be legends though.

:up: And funny enough, the "best by some margin" didn't even show up on title day!! :rotfl:

#5807 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:06

If that's true how come Massa was under pressure from the cars behind him at the start too?

At the start everybody is under pressure. The difference is; Massa didn't lose any position at the start.

#5808 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:08

It is sad but I see there are some people happier for the fact that Alonso lost the WDC than for the fact that Vettel won the WDC. It tells me all I need to know.

Where were the same people when Alonso won in Singapore for instance? :wave:

#5809 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:10

Well but he still is the best rider on the grid, by a huge margin also (I think I should add that). Shame you can't see it, you must think your fav is a legend. Oh and you agree he could have been a four-time winner?

Sorry for reacting on this again, but some are just...

It was just brillant today by RBR. :up: Can't say more really. What could Alonso have done in a situation like that? Overtaking Petrov wouldn't have been enough.

Sorry but for Alonso to get away with races like China, Monaco, Britain and Belgium.. there is no way he could be called the best. He's made more mistakes than any of his rivals this year and those mistakes ultimately cost him the championship.

Unlike in 2007, his attitude has nothing to do with losing the WDC this year.

Silverstone says no. He arrogantly believed that he could cut a corner and gain a position from it because the guy he was racing 'squeezed him off' the track. His mind by then was in a bad state and it took him a while to get out of it.

Edited by hotstickyslick, 14 November 2010 - 18:11.

#5810 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:13

The other day, you said Hamilton and Alonso are by far the best drivers in F1, and now you say LH and SV are better drivers than FA. Can you explain me that?

#5811 SlickMick

SlickMick

• 158 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:17

How exactly? could he have avoided engine failure in Korea? Brake trouble in Melbourne?, Engine trouble in Bahrain? we all know him with regards to "competitive" teammates so could he have avoided a controversy with his teammate in Turkey?

This " iin THAT car Alonso or Hamilton would have had the WDrivers sewn up ages ago" is a bunch of Bull, you can't tell what the cicumstances would be if he drove that car, but for a fact we KNOW, he lost to his rookie teammate in 07, and choked today.

Cheers! :)

I acknowledged Hamilton as being on a par so I'm sure your reply wasnt prompted by the fanboy remarks? :lol:
"Choked today"? No, the team made the decision. They (the team strategists) were being overly conservative and Alonso paid the price - no-one would have overtaken those Renaults today (oh sorry this isnt a fact either is it!). Choked - pah!

First para. I thought the whole point of these forums was to give opinion and share information without screaming "source" or "not a fact" whenever a different opinion to your own is voiced. So "how exactly"... given I don't rate Webber as highly as others do (to me his achievements this year have only highlighted the performance difference of the RBs versus every other car), I think Vettels 10 (?I think its 10 anyway?) poles this year would have been bettered by both Hamilton and Alonso. Once out in front with those RBs nobody else would have had a look in - much credit goes to Alonso and Hamilton for fighting every inch of the way (and yes, in the process, making some mistakes) with, at variuos times the second and third best cars.

As for Vettel, well done to him, he may yet prove to be on the same level as FA and LH, but to find out we need to wait for next year when hopefully McLaren and Ferrari will have cars the equal (or even almost the equal) of the RB.

#5812 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:21

Silverstone says no. He arrogantly believed that he could cut a corner and gain a position from it because the guy he was racing 'squeezed him off' the track. His mind by then was in a bad state and it took him a while to get out of it.

Arrogantly believed..? :stoned:

It has been discused many times here, but at the end of the day everyone has part of blame, Ferrari included. CW said Ferrari three times that Fernando should give the position back to Kubica, but they disobeyed and paid the price.

Edited by AlanWake, 14 November 2010 - 18:22.

#5813 JKTRacing

JKTRacing

• 186 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:28

Great race by Fernando, gave 100%, unfortunately RedBull did their homework and realised they needed 2 different strategies.

50/50 chance, and Alonso lost.

Bring on 2011,;)

#5814 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:30

It has been discused many times here, but at the end of the day everyone has part of blame, Ferrari included. CW said Ferrari three times that Fernando should give the position back to Kubica, but they disobeyed and paid the price.

I think anyone with half a brain should realise that he had to give the place back. I don't know what was up with Alonso during that race to be honest. All I know is that he potentially lost the WDC there and then.

#5815 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:32

Seriously? They lost the title designing a bad F10, that's all. And in the end they gave it completely away by bad strategy.

But Alonso said that the F10 was the best car that he had ever driven. So this statement about a bad F10 cannot be true. He was on the podium in the last 7 of 8 races. He and the team choked. Thats it.

#5816 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:39

:up:

Every title challenger made errors this season. Whilst Alonso made his share, I didn't see any that could be blamed on 'arrogance'; or whatever else is being spun here.

Overall I think he had a very good year to be in such strong contention come the final race in what was (IMO) the second best car. He's also clearly done a great job in getting the team behind him. I'm sure that whilst he will be frustrated that this season has ended as it has, he will be excited about the future and what he and Ferrari have the clear potential to possibly achieve. I'd expect his fans to be feeling the same.

#5817 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:40

It is sad but I see there are some people happier for the fact that Alonso lost the WDC than for the fact that Vettel won the WDC. It tells me all I need to know.

They are either McLaren fans or very bitter Kimi fans who, after seeing him getting beaten by Massa in 2008 and 2009 and crashing a rally car throughout 2010, have waited desperately for this moment for their little bit of comfort while their hero continues his slide into motorsport oblivion...

#5818 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:53

Every title challenger made errors this season. Whilst Alonso made his share, I didn't see any that could be blamed on 'arrogance'; or whatever else is being spun here.

Overall I think he had a very good year to be in such strong contention come the final race in what was (IMO) the second best car. He's also clearly done a great job in getting the team behind him. I'm sure that whilst he will be frustrated that this season has ended as it has, he will be excited about the future and what he and Ferrari have the clear potential to possibly achieve. I'd expect his fans to be feeling the same.

I'm sorry but I'm not feeling this right now. If the engine would have blew it in pieces yes... but you can't throw a championship like this... Something must be changed there...

#5819 simplyfast

simplyfast

• 867 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:57

One race, you have class, the next you don't. Vettel had much of his own complaining earlier this year especially when Webber was beating him. And favoring one driver and team orders are the same thing, if you don't believe Vettel was favored, you weren't watching closely. Webber hasn't been able to compete with Vettel since right ?

As for as whatever Alonso said about Petrov, we don't see much outside of the race here in the US so I haven't seen it yet. Trust me, hes not the only one cursing Petrov, I've got some words for him too !! Ultimately, its the team's fault and Alonso knows this but he will not publicly condemn the team no matter what. Hes fighting for the championship and Petrov is fighting for squat, I want him to move out of the way too !! Alas, thats racing. Ferrari made a horrible mistake at the worst possible time. That was not a conservative, strategic call. It was an utter gamble and they lost. When Webber pitted cuz his tires were gone, I hoped and hoped Alonso would stay out in 4th... then !@#)#@*$#!@#!

sorry to burst your bubble but they are clearly not..
dont believe me go check the rules one is clearly illegal and is why ferrari were convicted of cheating and one is not hence why ferrari (again) and red bull were not convicted of that or do you forget that ferrari clearly ( far more clearly) made alonso number one driver and massa a none racer.

Advertisement

#5820 P123

P123

• 8,710 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 18:58

I'm sorry but I'm not feeling this right now. If the engine would have blew it in pieces yes... but you can't throw a championship like this... Something must be changed there...

I think that race just summed up the season- just when you thought you knew who the favourite was, the championship was turned on it's head again. Sure, you can claim the championship was 'thrown', but at one point Alonso looked out of it only to fight his way back. That must be a plus point surely?

#5821 simplyfast

simplyfast

• 867 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:06

Alonso has nothing to prove, a 3th worldtitle wouldn't have added to his stature, he is a champ no matter what. Everything went wrong today and it just wasn't going to be. Alonso will get more chances to win worldtitles ( it just his 1st year at SF and who thought he could fight till the end) and I believe he will win, many, it's just a shame that this year it went wrong after such an impressive comeback and incredible hard work.

:rotfl:
here's what he needs to prove he is a true sportsman not a someone who blackmails his team/ is rude to others who fairly race him/ uses team orders illegally repeatedly.
If he acted like a true sportsman and was gracious in defeat i am certain many of the posts would not be here but he did and they are will he grow up i doubt it.
He is a fast racer but honest, fair or sportsmen like i think not

#5822 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:10

:rotfl:
here's what he needs to prove he is a true sportsman not a someone who blackmails his team/ is rude to others who fairly race him/ uses team orders illegally repeatedly.
If he acted like a true sportsman and was gracious in defeat i am certain many of the posts would not be here but he did and they are will he grow up i doubt it.
He is a fast racer but honest, fair or sportsmen like i think not

Indeed. He acted like a massive cock to Petrov after the race. There is no other way to look at it.
What is worse is that he goes to the press afterwards and says Petrov did well. Shows how two-faced he is with the press. His fans are buying it but Im not.

#5823 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:10

I think that race just summed up the season- just when you thought you knew who the favourite was, the championship was turned on it's head again. Sure, you can claim the championship was 'thrown', but at one point Alonso looked out of it only to fight his way back. That must be a plus point surely?

Look. McLaren and Ferrari have the most money, have the best drivers and what they achived? Nothing. If you don't have the best car and you have money at least get some good strategists and tacticians. At least this.

And back from 2009 rules and withe Newey at RedBull I'm sorry but I don't see any reason to be optimist....

Edited by gaston_foix, 14 November 2010 - 19:12.

#5824 P123

P123

• 8,710 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:17

Look. McLaren and Ferrari have the most money, have the best drivers and what they achived? Nothing. If you don't have the best car and you have money at least get some good strategists and tacticians. At least this.

And back from 2009 rules and withe Newey at RedBull I'm sorry but I don't see any reason to be optimist....

Red Bull aren't exactly paupers. They still spend close to $300m per year.

As for Ferrari's strategy, it was sound based on Webber being the main competition, and the soft tyres were expected to grain badly. With hindsight you can say Ferrari were wrong, but at the time it looked the sensible thing to do.

#5825 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:20

Sadly, to slightly rephrase what someone else said earlier in the year: Newey is better than the other designers by a bigger margin than Alonso and Hamilton are better than the other drivers.
The results in the WDC and WCC show that again.
If they can't get Newey then, as you say, they at least need good tacticians and stategists. How many times did Brawn help Schumacher win a race that they wouldn't have got on pace alone...

#5826 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:21

:rotfl: Some of you said Alonso and his fans are bad losers, while saying idiocies like that Ferrari will replace Alonso. That's being a really childish winner.

I think Alonso did what he could this race, enough for me.

#5827 Flamini

Flamini

• 849 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:22

:rotfl: Some of you said Alonso and his fans are bad losers, while saying idiocies like that Ferrari will replace Alonso. That's being a really childish winner.

I think Alonso did what he could this race, enough for me.

For me too.

And LDM and Domenicali praised his first season in Ferrari. That is the most important thing.

#5828 robefc

robefc

• 8,107 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:23

Indeed. He acted like a massive cock to Petrov after the race. There is no other way to look at it.
What is worse is that he goes to the press afterwards and says Petrov did well. Shows how two-faced he is with the press. His fans are buying it but Im not.

I still think saying 'he was defending like it was the last lap of the WDC' is basically saying he didn't think petrov should have fought so hard. So I don't think he's being 2 faced, I think that's what he's saying (after he's called down).

#5829 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:23

McLaren and Red Bull have each had equally silly pit calls, IMO (Australia for one example, for both teams) this season. Yup, this one was an error and it looks worse because it was the final race. But all teams make these errors from time to time.

The important thing, I think, is that Ferrari clearly have the capability to make a car that can challenge for wins. And Alonso has the ability to make a car that can challenge for wins challenge for WDCs. Based on how this season has gone, I can't imagine this relationship ending without at least one more WDC for Alonso.

#5830 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:24

Sadly, to slightly rephrase what someone else said earlier in the year: Newey is better than the other designers by a bigger margin than Alonso and Hamilton are better than the other drivers.
The results in the WDC and WCC show that again.
If they can't get Newey then, as you say, they at least need good tacticians and stategists. How many times did Brawn help Schumacher win a race that they wouldn't have got on pace alone...

Ferrari & McLaren's experience with KERS may prove to be very important in 2011. Having said that I would be too surprised if Newey discovered a better solution with the KERS and its packaging.

#5831 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 19:43

I acknowledged Hamilton as being on a par so I'm sure your reply wasnt prompted by the fanboy remarks? :lol:
"Choked today"? No, the team made the decision. They (the team strategists) were being overly conservative and Alonso paid the price - no-one would have overtaken those Renaults today (oh sorry this isnt a fact either is it!). Choked - pah!

First para. I thought the whole point of these forums was to give opinion and share information without screaming "source" or "not a fact" whenever a different opinion to your own is voiced. So "how exactly"... given I don't rate Webber as highly as others do (to me his achievements this year have only highlighted the performance difference of the RBs versus every other car), I think Vettels 10 (?I think its 10 anyway?) poles this year would have been bettered by both Hamilton and Alonso. Once out in front with those RBs nobody else would have had a look in - much credit goes to Alonso and Hamilton for fighting every inch of the way (and yes, in the process, making some mistakes) with, at variuos times the second and third best cars.

As for Vettel, well done to him, he may yet prove to be on the same level as FA and LH, but to find out we need to wait for next year when hopefully McLaren and Ferrari will have cars the equal (or even almost the equal) of the RB.

I never referred to you as a fanboy. Of course if the strategy would have paid off, Alonso would have been praised by everyone for his brilliance! :rolleyes: Even if they had gotten around Petrov, he still had to beat both Kubica and Rosberg (who Ferrari screwed with yesterday in Qualifying, I'm sure Rosberg felt good) so, it's not just down to Petrov, really, Alonso didn't really have his best GP today, on the biggest race of the year, which is my point.

The truth is, both Hamilton and Alonso, and even Webber for that matter should just thank their lucky stars they were even IN it in Abu Dhabi, as, had Vettel not been the one to have suffered such reliabiliy woes as he did, he would have wrapped it up himself a while back, which is my point, he drove strong all season, and a few mistakes along the way, just like the others, but do the math how many points all of them lost due to reliability and you will see how early he could have clinched it. It's as much a dabatable opinion as yours, of course, mine has some reality attached to it, for the fact that, it's based on actualy factual data of the events. Yours is based on a speculation fueled by your personal opinion of the drivers, and Alonso has never had 10 poles even in his championship winning cars, or the one he lost to Hamilton, neither has Hamilton. Fantasy isn't exactly a well documented opinion. I on the other hand base my opinions on some well educated experiences.

Cheers! :)

Edited by Birelman, 14 November 2010 - 19:47.

#5832 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,745 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:08

The important thing, I think, is that Ferrari clearly have the capability to make a car that can challenge for wins.

Problem is, Red Bull and McLaren can make two each.

#5833 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:19

Andrea Stella (Alonso's race engineer): "Fernando deserved better support. He behaved like a great driver all season. We have not responded the right way"

#5834 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:40

Did he make driver errors this year? Yes, espcially in the first half of the season.
Did he have the best car this year? Only at Monza if my memory serves me right.
Is he the best driver on the grid? Perhaps he is, perhaps he's not. Competition is hard with drivers like LH SV RK,...
Do I approve his hand gesture against Petrov today. No I don't, but somewhere deep down I can understand his frustration
Will he be crowned 3x WDC one day? No idea, but if SF is giving him a good car he certainly has a chance.

Will I keep supporting Fernando Alonso despite all his errors, flaws, arrogance, ...(fill in whatever suits your agenda)? Hell yeah!

Good luck to him in 2011

#5835 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,084 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:47

Did he make driver errors this year? Yes, espcially in the first half of the season.
Is he the best driver on the grid? Perhaps he is, perhaps he's not. Competition is hard with drivers like LH SV RK,...
Do I approve his hand gesture against Petrov today. No I don't, but somewhere deep down I can understand his frustration
Will he be crowned 3x WDC one day? No idea, but if SF is giving him a good car he certainly has a chance.

Will I keep supporting Fernando Alonso despite all his errors, flaws, arrogance, ...(fill in whatever suits your agenda)? Hell yeah!

Good luck to him in 2011

Good post

#5836 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 22:53

Good luck to him in 2011

Agreed 100% :up:

#5837 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,206 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:00

Alonso just mentioned at bbc he overtook in victories lauda and fangio. you are nowhere their level fonzo.

So how many?

Stewart 27
Alonso 26
Clark 25
Lauda 25
Fangio 24

Among the great....next year we could see Fernando climbing up to the level of Nigel Mansell (31 wins).

Edited by aditya-now, 16 November 2010 - 10:32.

#5838 Rob

Rob

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:04

So how many?

Stewart 27
Clark 25
Lauda 25
Alonso 25
Fangio 24

Among the great....next year we could see Fernando climbing up to the level of Nigel Mansell (31 wins).

These stats are worthless now. When Fangio was racing they had eight or so races a year. There were nineteen this year. Fangio won 24 races in 51 starts.

#5839 WhiteBlue

WhiteBlue

• 2,138 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:06

Alonso will never be great. He may win some more races but no more championships. He will go under as Ferrari will be torn apart by their own failure. No top team will touch him with a stick and the lsat team to employ him, Ferrari, will sink into mediocrity.

Advertisement

#5840 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:06

So how many?

Stewart 27
Clark 25
Lauda 25
Alonso 25
Fangio 24

118 DAYS, 13 HOURS, 53 MINUTES AND 10 SECONDS BEFORE THE BAHRAIN GP

The 4 month wait is going to be brutal :)

#5841 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:07

I am curious what would you say when alonso reaches something like...91 wins?

#5842 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:08

Alonso will never be great. He may win some more races but no more championships. He will go under as Ferrari will be torn apart by their own failure. No top team will touch him with a stick and the lsat team to employ him, Ferrari, will sink into mediocrity.

Wishful thinking, I guess :yawnface:

#5843 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:09

I am curious what would you say when alonso reaches something like...91 wins?

Stats doesn't say it all.

#5844 zeph

zeph

• 767 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:11

Alonso has 26 wins, not 25.

#5845 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,209 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:12

McLaren and Red Bull have each had equally silly pit calls, IMO (Australia for one example, for both teams) this season. Yup, this one was an error and it looks worse because it was the final race. But all teams make these errors from time to time.

The important thing, I think, is that Ferrari clearly have the capability to make a car that can challenge for wins. And Alonso has the ability to make a car that can challenge for wins challenge for WDCs. Based on how this season has gone, I can't imagine this relationship ending without at least one more WDC for Alonso.

#5846 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,209 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:14

:rotfl: Only in your dreams.

#5847 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:39

Did Alonso take a shit in your soup?

Only a blind person would not see that Alonso's charge in the second part of the year was the only thing that prevented this season from becoming a dull Red Bull parade.

How about enjoying Red Bull's titles instead of sounding like a bitter hater?

Edited by fabr68, 14 November 2010 - 23:41.

#5848 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:43

These stats are worthless now. When Fangio was racing they had eight or so races a year. There were nineteen this year. Fangio won 24 races in 51 starts.

Well, people is comparing Kimi's 2007 with Alonso's 2010 despite being different situations. You guys only complain when it favours Alonso.

#5849 Rob

Rob

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 23:50

Well, people is comparing Kimi's 2007 with Alonso's 2010 despite being different situations. You guys only complain when it favours Alonso.

I made one post just to comment about stats. I didn't say anything about Kimi! Forget it, I shan't post in here again.

#5850 Nesto

Nesto

• 94 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 00:15

Stats can not be compared especially between different generations. Times change. The field is much more saturated with top level drivers than back in the day. To stay at the top and go on to become a "great", you need to be in competitive machinery all the time. With few dominant teams and only 2 seats available, you can see, this is quite hard to do. Especially over the length of a career. Alonso ISN'T great ? Give me a break. This generation of drivers is improving immensely and Alonso is among the top. Hes not well-regarded by his peers for nothing. I value the opinions of people in the sport much more than people on the internet.

After Senna, we had Schumacher, Hakkinen for a bit then who else ? No one lasted that long and only had a year or two of greatness. In the last few years we've had Raikkonen who needs to come back to further cement his legacy, Alonso ending Schumacher's reign and return to the front, Hamilton's explosion onto the scene, Vettel and RBR's sudden rise. Then you have Kubica and Rosberg waiting for the right car. They can all be "greats" but we have to see how their careers pan out. Even then, they won't be revered until they've long retired. Alonso, by far, has the most illustrious career of any of them (2 WDCs, twice runner up. He's lost by 1 pt and 4 pts in the newer, higher scoring system, thats 5 in total) and can almost be considered the elder statesman considering how young they're hiring nowadays. The next few years are going to be very good.