Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#6051 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,481 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 21:36

Enough of discussing each other thanks. Back onto the topic of Fernando Alonso please.

Advertisement

#6052 bonscott

bonscott

• 33 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 21:50

Random highlight of Alonso's season for me: best non-WDC clinching race win radio reaction. His giggle and "avanti fer" were awesome.

a few other:
- i dont wanna know (how far behind hamilton is)
- i cannot do that (asked to drive slower and keep a bigger gap to cool engine)

#6053 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 21:53

Random highlight of Alonso's season for me: best non-WDC clinching race win radio reaction. His giggle and "avanti fer" were awesome.

Ya I found that giggle absolutely disgusting, even more reason to be glad it didn't pay off in the end.

#6054 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 21:55

I'd say that Fernando Alonso had a fine season in 2010. 5 wins, and very nearly WDC in the second best car is a very good result. Also I'd say that Alonso's comeback in the second half of the season is one of the best I've seen in 30 + years of watching this sport. That was brilliant stuff. That they messed it up at the end with a bad strategy call doesn't change all they accomplished beforehand..

#6055 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,028 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 21:58

I'd say that Fernando Alonso had a fine season in 2010. 5 wins, and very nearly WDC in the second best car is a very good result. Also I'd say that Alonso's comeback in the second half of the season is one of the best I've seen in 30 + years of watching this sport. That was brilliant stuff. That they messed it up at the end with a bad strategy call doesn't change all they accomplished beforehand..

+1 :)

#6056 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 21:58

Ya I found that giggle absolutely disgusting, even more reason to be glad it didn't pay off in the end.

Disgusting? What didn't pay off in the end - that giggle ? :rotfl:

It's truly disgusting to post stuff like that. :rolleyes:

#6057 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:14

Disgusting? What didn't pay off in the end - that giggle ? :rotfl:

It's truly disgusting to post stuff like that. :rolleyes:

That their challenge didn't pay off in the end. The giggle was as if they were laughing and humiliating the rest of Formula 1, of course, there's nothing wrong with that for you, but just as you are hurt now, and it pains you when people who are not fans of Alonso are now making fun of him, that's just the way Vettel's and Webber's fans felt when they heard that laugh, but in this case, it wasn't from an armchair expert fan in a forum, it was from the actual man himself in worldwide television. Not exactly gracious in victory is it?

Edited by Birelman, 17 November 2010 - 22:15.

#6058 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:30

That their challenge didn't pay off in the end. The giggle was as if they were laughing and humiliating the rest of Formula 1, of course, there's nothing wrong with that for you, but just as you are hurt now, and it pains you when people who are not fans of Alonso are now making fun of him, that's just the way Vettel's and Webber's fans felt when they heard that laugh, but in this case, it wasn't from an armchair expert fan in a forum, it was from the actual man himself in worldwide television. Not exactly gracious in victory is it?

Well, my perception of that event is quite different. The giggle was as if they were laughing with happiness after winning an incredible race and there's nothing wrong with that for me. Not only it wasn't wrong, it was one of the best radio transmisions after winning a race, I've ever heard. But, maybe it's just me.

To be precise, I'm not hurt now and it doesn't pain me when people who are not fans of Alonso are making fun of him (it makes me laugh), because I'm not Alonso fan. (I guess, that nowadays you have to be someone's fan or hater to post in his thread). I don't recall many Vettel's and Webber's fans feeling pain when they heard that laugh either.

#6059 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:34

Believe me, these same hypocrits bawling for people to have mercy on their poor alonso, for everyone to take it easy on him, would not, for a SECOND, hesitate to kick a certain McLaren driver if/when he was down. In fact, they would be going on for ages. Frankly, I find it sweet poetic justice to see them squirming like this. I will try to refrain from stooping to their level and avoid twisting the knife or pouring salt in their wound, but I definitely dont feel any pity for them at all. Not one drop. ferrari and alonso deserve each other. The irony of the situation is hilarious, it really is.

Actually when Lewis won the WDC I was the first to congragulate one of my friends who is a Lewis fan and I would have congragulated his fans here if I was a member at the time, just like I congragulated Vettel's fans in his thread. I have never went to another drivers thread to kick his fans when they are down, it just isn't sporting in my opinion. I hope that Mclaren build a good car next year and we can see a great fight between Alonso and Hamilton because frankly I think these two are by far the class of the field and there is nothing I enjoy more than seeing them duke it out. Off course I prefer it if Alonso comes out on top and if he did I can assure you I wouldn't be in the Hamilton thread taunting his fans, and if Hamilton came out on top I would go to their thread to congragulate them.

Advertisement

#6060 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,233 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:41

You have to be kidding. Any driver would have giggled if a win fell into their lap like that. Lets not forget that it was a transmission to the team, not the public.

#6061 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:41

Well, my perception of that event is quite different. The giggle was as if they were laughing with happiness after winning an incredible race and there's nothing wrong with that for me. Not only it wasn't wrong, it was one of the best radio transmisions after winning a race, I've ever heard. But, maybe it's just me.

To be precise, I'm not hurt now and it doesn't pain me when people who are not fans of Alonso are making fun of him (it makes me laugh), because I'm not Alonso fan. (I guess, that nowadays you have to be someone's fan or hater to post in his thread). I don't recall many Vettel's and Webber's fans feeling pain when they heard that laugh either.

Yes, I'm sure that's as everyone perceived the laugh........

Good for you not to be in pain, nothing wrong with being an Alonso fan, as he's probably the best driver in the world. I'm not exactly a Vettel or Webber fan either, but I didn't write about the laugh back then either, that doesn't mean it wasn't uncomfortable for some people, I don't see your point on that one.

#6062 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:44

I don't recall many Vettel's and Webber's fans feeling pain when they heard that laugh either.

Because the person complaining is not a fan of any of these drivers, just an Alonso hater. He would have had to swallow all that hate and resentment if Alonso had won, poor kid. The number of haters is often related to the level of success of a driver, when I see all the post bashing Alonso I just smile because it means one thing: Alonso is back!

#6063 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:44

You have to be kidding. Any driver would have giggled if a win fell into their lap like that. Lets not forget that it was a transmission to the team, not the public.

It's the sort of thing you'd do in public, they know those radios get public at some point. More so, he didn't have to hold the push to talk all through the laugh. It's not the worst thing in the world, but not exactly gracious in victory either.

Anyway, I was merely replying to someone else who mentioned it, no like I care.

Edited by Birelman, 17 November 2010 - 22:45.

#6064 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:45

Alonso is back!

No...he never went away! :)

#6065 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,172 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:55

i didnt laugh at hamilton when he didnt end a few races in a row and he lost a huge point advantage, and i didnt see anyone constantlyt going on about it.

but i have seen in this time the same people who seem to have a lot of spare time to value every single nuance of someone they clearly hate in a sick way, instead of lament their own heroe's mistakes.

that is enough to figure out what kinda people they are.

#6066 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,233 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 23:24

It's the sort of thing you'd do in public, they know those radios get public at some point. More so, he didn't have to hold the push to talk all through the laugh. It's not the worst thing in the world, but not exactly gracious in victory either.

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm amazed at the lengths some people go to to be offended. I simply can't see anything wrong with him laughing given what happened.

Edited by Clatter, 17 November 2010 - 23:25.

#6067 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:13

Jesus, the guy must be stepping on eggshells left right and center in your eyes... :lol:

#6068 billkaos

billkaos

• 159 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:34

Really good sketch the day after the facts. (I hope it can be seen outside Spain)

http://www.lasexta.c...ttel/183621/231

:)

#6069 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:21

The way I see it, Alonso just did not have the car needed to be Champion this year.
The fact that he was able to be in the mix right to the very end is, in my opinion, evidence of his great talent.

I really am glad that he has a good team behind him; I did not want to see him go through what Emmo and Jacques had to endure after winning the championship. Someone of his talent does deserve better than Renault.

#6070 HPT

HPT

• 1,158 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:43

Not true. I don't care about Hamilton after his bad race (Monza/Singapore), I was just happy with Alonso win.

There are a lot of Alonso fans who are never been in McLaren thread.

But Alonso thread is always full after his bad races.

There's a McLaren thread???

:p

#6071 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:18

It was not only fist shaking, it was also middle finger. Anyway, both show how unsporting loser he was. Okay, someone will come and say that this and this driver have shown middle finger. But they have done that in the heat for racing moment, when they feel wronged by the actions of the other driver.

Instead, Alonso ventilated his frustation after the race for ruining his season by not letting him by. I don't know, maybe he was planning this for the last 20 laps, because he did not do anything on track? Anyway, for me it was realy sweet to see Alonso stuck for 40 laps behind a slow car. You know, in 2008 the haters started bashing Kimi around the mid season, when he was stuck behind Alonso somewhere. In the end, they won neither championship despite of big talks, and achieved only 3rd in the WCC thanks to focusing on Alonso only.

:clap:

Could you please elaborate why focusing in Alonso made Ferrari to loose the championship? I'd like to get facts, not assumptions please :)

#6072 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:31

Absolutely agree with you here. I loved that transmission. Just came across as a completely genuine expression of happiness for a great result. I didn't see it at all as Birelman did.

#6073 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:55

The giggle, this fist ,the middle finger all show that Alonso is no sportsman. He has no character. And this is why people hate him.

#6074 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:35

The giggle, this fist ,the middle finger all show that Alonso is no sportsman. He has no character. And this is why people hate him.

The only people that hate him is the people that already did.

#6075 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,028 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 19:49

Did he show the middle finger? I have seen reports that state that he did not, that what he used was the typical gesture of putting all fingertips together - which is quite different.

Edit: please check I don't see the middle finger but the other gesture - can someone please cofirm if this is indeed the case? Many thanks!

PS Do you think all winners are bad sports? I remember quite a few giggles and singing after race wins!

Edited by Fontainebleau, 19 November 2010 - 16:51.

#6076 Flamini

Flamini

• 798 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 19:54

http://www.bbc.co.uk...f1_drivers.html

:smoking:

#6077 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 20:08

I love it! Specially the way he conveniently excuses Alonso's mistakes :up:

#6078 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 20:50

I love it! Specially the way he conveniently excuses Alonso's mistakes :up:

At least he stays as objective as possible...

#6079 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,243 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 21:24

"We got the monkey off our back last week," he [RBR team manager Jonathan Wheatley] smiled, referring to the teams' title. "The guys in the garage are very relaxed. I think we've got the fastest car here, and I've got a very good feeling about today. Alonso is due some bad luck..."

A few minutes later there was a slightly surreal scene on the grid when some German journalists dropped a banana skin right in front of Alonso's car. It was a silly, tactless joke, and the Ferrari communications boss – who angrily kicked it out of the way – didn't see the funny side. Although Ron Dennis – standing nearby with a 'who, me?' look on his face – clearly did.

http://www.autosport...cle.php/id/3197

:drunk:

Advertisement

#6080 robefc

robefc

• 8,017 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 00:49

The way I see it, Alonso just did not have the car needed to be Champion this year.
The fact that he was able to be in the mix right to the very end is, in my opinion, evidence of his great talent.

I really am glad that he has a good team behind him; I did not want to see him go through what Emmo and Jacques had to endure after winning the championship. Someone of his talent does deserve better than Renault.

I don't actually agree.

With hindsight the mistakes and unreliability ofthe RBs meant that both the maccas and ferrari's were geod enough to take the title.

However, the driver would have to be close to perfect as would the reliability.

Neither hamilton or alonso could quite deliver that, although clearly their teammates were much further away.

It's a pity in a sense because it would have been a sensational triumph against the odds for either of them,

#6081 robefc

robefc

• 8,017 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 00:51

i didnt laugh at hamilton when he didnt end a few races in a row and he lost a huge point advantage, and i didnt see anyone constantlyt going on about it.

but i have seen in this time the same people who seem to have a lot of spare time to value every single nuance of someone they clearly hate in a sick way, instead of lament their own heroe's mistakes.

that is enough to figure out what kinda people they are.

Then you must not be looking very hard! :)

Both alonso and hamilton get the most ridiculous criticism, some justified, most of it not.

It's simply because they're the 2 best drivers and therefore the greatest threat to anyone else.

You might notice criticism of vettel has been increasing roughly in line with his threat to everyone else...

#6082 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:06

Damn the british press.

#6083 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,028 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:21

"We got the monkey off our back last week," he [RBR team manager Jonathan Wheatley] smiled, referring to the teams' title. "The guys in the garage are very relaxed. I think we've got the fastest car here, and I've got a very good feeling about today. Alonso is due some bad luck..."

A few minutes later there was a slightly surreal scene on the grid when some German journalists dropped a banana skin right in front of Alonso's car. It was a silly, tactless joke, and the Ferrari communications boss – who angrily kicked it out of the way – didn't see the funny side. Although Ron Dennis – standing nearby with a 'who, me?' look on his face – clearly did."
http://www.autosport...cle.php/id/3197

:drunk:

Come on, that is not a big deal! Didn't Brazilian journalists give Hamilton and Button black cats when they were fighting Massa and Barrichello, respectively, for the WDC at Interlagos?

Although for a truly superstitious guy it can be very ennervig! :lol:

#6084 topical

topical

• 2,071 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:23

Damn the british press.

I like Benson, he's refreshingly free of the usual British bias although even as an Alonso fan I'm not sure if I agree with placing Alonso as best driver of the season. In the second half - without a doubt. But he made just one too many mistakes in the first half imo to be a clear best driver of the season. Over-driving the car isn't an excuse - that's something Alonso has to learn once and for all if he's not to be remembered as an exceptionally talented driver who actually slightly under-delivered: accepting the limits of himself and the machinery. It cost him in 2007 and it cost him this year. A little more self-control, and he'd be a 4 times WDC by now.

I think Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel are all pretty much neck and neck for driver of the year and it's down to personal preference which one is 'best'.
As for Kubica - I'm not convinced. He had a very strong season but with a poor teammate as comparison we just don't know what that Renault was really capable of. We need Kubica in a top team to see how good he really is.

Edited by topical, 19 November 2010 - 12:24.

#6085 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,615 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 15:27

Biased britished press. :rotfl:

#6086 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 15:28

Maybe they are biased - they seem confident he won't win next year ...  ;)

Massa will hand over to 2011 runner-up Fernando Alonso for Saturday.

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/9210332.stm

#6087 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 200 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 22:37

Agreed. As an Alonso fan, (as I put it in another thread) no matter what the team did (or did not) at Abu dhabi, Alonso lost the title at Monaco this year just as he lost the title at Fuji in 2007.

#6088 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:34

I don't actually agree.

With hindsight the mistakes and unreliability ofthe RBs meant that both the maccas and ferrari's were geod enough to take the title.

However, the driver would have to be close to perfect as would the reliability.

Neither hamilton or alonso could quite deliver that, although clearly their teammates were much further away.

It's a pity in a sense because it would have been a sensational triumph against the odds for either of them,

I think qualifying tells the real story of how fast the RBs were.
Now, the reliability was not there, and that could be their own fault, but the Ferrari just wasn't as fast, and consistently so, as the RB or so I think.
Real shame that they lost it in the end; I still think this shows how talented Alonso really is

#6089 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:03

I think qualifying tells the real story of how fast the RBs were.
Now, the reliability was not there, and that could be their own fault, but the Ferrari just wasn't as fast, and consistently so, as the RB or so I think.
Real shame that they lost it in the end; I still think this shows how talented Alonso really is

Why? how talented must you be to collect points from the unreliability of the other guy, as you are pointing out?

Don't get me wrong, I think Alonso is extremely talented, but I don't think the fact that he took the fight to the end is necessarily proof of his talent, as, like you said, it was in great part aided by unreliability of the RBR. There were some races where Ferrari was fastest of all, and his talent showed when he seized those opportunities, if you ask me.

#6090 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:07

[/b]
Why? how talented must you be to collect points from the unreliability of the other guy, as you are pointing out?

Don't get me wrong, I think Alonso is extremely talented, but I don't think the fact that he took the fight to the end is necessarily proof of his talent, as, like you said, it was in great part aided by unreliability of the RBR. There were some races where Ferrari was fastest of all, and his talent showed when he seized those opportunities, if you ask me.

But the reliability, or lack thereof, comes with the design of the car. In F1 you are not granted equal conditions, so I find it puzzling when people complain endlessly about certain reliability problems. Vettel suffered from some reliability problems (probably due to the way he/RBR used the engine; Renault had no problems) but he also enjoyed performance advantages that more than compensated such problems. Back in 2005 Raikkonen had "reliability" problems partly, at least, because he had to take his machinery to the very edge due to the fact that Alonso got a comfortable advantage at the beginning of the season. Thus, Alonso could care his machinery and Raikkonen had to drive the wheels off his car (once, literally) to try to overcome the advantage gained by Renault/Alonso. So you can't praise his sharp driving then and then complain about mechanical problems because probably part of these were the price to pay for the sharp driving.

In the same way, the afterburning EBD, the tight design of RBR6, the lean fuel mix that allows an aggressive fuel strategy are all factors that could explain, at least partly, some of the incidents suffered by Vettel. And all of them are actively sought features of the car/strategy used by Vettel to win the championship.

#6091 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:20

But the reliability, or lack thereof, comes with the design of the car. In F1 you are not granted equal conditions, so I find it puzzling when people complain endlessly about certain reliability problems. Vettel suffered from some reliability problems (probably due to the way he/RBR used the engine; Renault had no problems) but he also enjoyed performance advantages that more than compensated such problems. Back in 2005 Raikkonen had "reliability" problems partly, at least, because he had to take his machinery to the very edge due to the fact that Alonso got a comfortable advantage at the beginning of the season. Thus, Alonso could care his machinery and Raikkonen had to drive the wheels off his car (once, literally) to try to overcome the advantage gained by Renault/Alonso. So you can't praise his sharp driving then and then complain about mechanical problems because probably part of these were the price to pay for the sharp driving.

In the same way, the afterburning EBD, the tight design of RBR6, the lean fuel mix that allows an aggressive fuel strategy are all factors that could explain, at least partly, some of the incidents suffered by Vettel. And all of them are actively sought features of the car/strategy used by Vettel to win the championship.

I won't argue with that, but how does that counter what I said? What I meant was that, what Alonso did to take the title to the wire was in fact, be there when the RBRs failed, he did miss some opportunities as in Melbourne, and Turkey, and in a way, Silverstone. My point is that, some people try to portray it as if Alonso outraced the RBRs even if he wasn't driving as fast a car, which isn't exactly the case, he outraced them in 3 tracks where the Ferrari was completely capable of doing it, in those 3 cases, he excelled at taking advantage of the situation, the rest was being opportunistic, nothing wrong with that, it's essential for a Champion to do that, but, there's a big difference in taking advantage of your opponent's troubles, and outracing them.

Of course, he kept putting the pressure on RBR by playing a few mind games, and keeping a great pokerface, of course, that's part of it too, all credit to him.

#6092 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:24

Was Alonso running a different helmet livery for the tests today? Would like this to be confirmed :drunk: I always love his helmet liveries! :love:

#6093 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:41

I won't argue with that, but how does that counter what I said? What I meant was that, what Alonso did to take the title to the wire was in fact, be there when the RBRs failed, he did miss some opportunities as in Melbourne, and Turkey, and in a way, Silverstone. My point is that, some people try to portray it as if Alonso outraced the RBRs even if he wasn't driving as fast a car, which isn't exactly the case, he outraced them in 3 tracks where the Ferrari was completely capable of doing it, in those 3 cases, he excelled at taking advantage of the situation, the rest was being opportunistic, nothing wrong with that, it's essential for a Champion to do that, but, there's a big difference in taking advantage of your opponent's troubles, and outracing them.

Of course, he kept putting the pressure on RBR by playing a few mind games, and keeping a great pokerface, of course, that's part of it too, all credit to him.

To begin with, he was the one being there. Logically, it should have been Webber, and machinery-wise, it could have also been Massa. Then, in Singapore, Vettel should have been faster, and he wasn't. And, may be, in Bahrein, if Red Bull had fueled the car with a less aggressive load, Vettel would not have been first during the race (and besides, nobody can tell for sure that if he wouldn't have had that problem, Alonso would not have overtaken him at the end of the race). And Alonso engine at Bahrein was also faulty.

And by your logic, everytime Red Bull did not take advantage of the situation (their superiority), they did not excel. And as Alonso's Abu Dhabi race shows, sometimes it is not the other guy winning, but you losing, and it does not detract from the merit of the guy collecting the pieces, be him Alonso, Hamilton, Button or whoever. You know, to finish first, first you have to finish, and so on.

Besides, with a little change, your "what Alonso did to take the title to the wire was in fact, be there when the RBRs failed," can be converted in "what Raikkonen did to take the title was in fact, be there when McLaren failed,". And there is a certain thread where they would hang you out to dry if you ever dare to say something remotely similar. :p

#6094 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:42

Was Alonso running a different helmet livery for the tests today? Would like this to be confirmed :drunk: I always love his helmet liveries! :love:

I think Massa was wearing a red helmet yesterday too, who knows what's going on.

#6095 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:50

To begin with, he was the one being there. Logically, it should have been Webber, and machinery-wise, it could have also been Massa. Then, in Singapore, Vettel should have been faster, and he wasn't. And, may be, in Bahrein, if Red Bull had fueled the car with a less aggressive load, Vettel would not have been first during the race (and besides, nobody can tell for sure that if he wouldn't have had that problem, Alonso would not have overtaken him at the end of the race). And Alonso engine at Bahrein was also faulty.

And by your logic, everytime Red Bull did not take advantage of the situation (their superiority), they did not excel. And as Alonso's Abu Dhabi race shows, sometimes it is not the other guy winning, but you losing, and it does not detract from the merit of the guy collecting the pieces, be him Alonso, Hamilton, Button or whoever. You know, to finish first, first you have to finish, and so on.

Besides, with a little change, your "what Alonso did to take the title to the wire was in fact, be there when the RBRs failed," can be converted in "what Raikkonen did to take the title was in fact, be there when McLaren failed,". And there is a certain thread where they would hang you out to dry if you ever dare to say something remotely similar. :p

Well, apart from the crazy speculations of Bahrain, fuel strategies, etc. I'm not so sure we're not saying the same thing, but, I don't think we're exactly opposing in opinions in this :) Anyway, absolutely, to be there is extremely important, you can't win every time, but you can make sure you are there to collect when the opposition does foul. It still doesn't mean you outraced the faster car. :)

#6096 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:12

I think Massa was wearing a red helmet yesterday too, who knows what's going on.

They testing the the Schuberth SF1.

#6097 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:33

They testing the the Schuberth SF1.

Haha, how they test it? That'd be an interesting test to watch, The engineer comes and smacks them in the head while they're reading the monitor! lol not many more annoying things than getting smacked in the helmet! lol

#6098 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:14

Well, apart from the crazy speculations of Bahrain, fuel strategies, etc. I'm not so sure we're not saying the same thing, but, I don't think we're exactly opposing in opinions in this :) Anyway, absolutely, to be there is extremely important, you can't win every time, but you can make sure you are there to collect when the opposition does foul. It still doesn't mean you outraced the faster car. :)

It is true that our opinions are probably not so far away.

I do not understand, however, why speculating that Alonso could have won on merit on Bahrein is crazy, and taking for granted that Vettel would have won it without the fault is not. Of course, we have no direct confirmation from RBR, but it was widely commented that the most plausible cause of the fault was that Vettel had to run a lean fuel mix because he was shorfuelled. So considering that Alonso's tyres were in good shape, it is not so crazy, IMHO, to believe that he could have forced Vettel into having to slow down to make it to the finish line.

Of course, anybody runs his parallel world F1 championship as he sees fit. In mine, Alonso had a chance. In yours Vettel would have won Bahrain without a trace of doubt; having to run a lean mixture is not indicative of potential problems at the end of the race. That is your choice, and I would never call it crazy.

And in my parallel world championship, everytime a driver ends in front of another, it has outraced him, except when the outraced driver has been rammed out of the race by other driver, as Button was by Vettel.

#6099 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 519 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:13

could be for a Santander commerical, with a red helmet no one knows who is driving the car ;)

Advertisement

#6100 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,615 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:49

Good post. My opinion on this season is that we had 3 drivers doing a great job - Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton - but none of them did a perfect job. In the end their performances were very alike and it was mostly car/bit of luck that decided the championship between them. Vettel probably did less errors then Alonso and Hamilton, but thats also a bit down to having fastest car. Webber on the other hand had definitely best car overall, but had way too many errors and inconsistent races. Button did good, but lacked consistency (he would be on pace with Hamilton in some races, but he was really off pace in other races).

Kubica and Rosberg also did seemingly great job, but they had fairly bad teammates to compare to, so could be that it made them look better. Massa was just poor this season, especially after Germany.

It was a really interesting season, and I hope to see some more of it in 2011.

Edited by velgajski1, 20 November 2010 - 12:52.