Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#6151 FerrariF1Fan

FerrariF1Fan

• 326 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 23:17

We have only the report from AMuS stating that he told the team that they were doing a mistake. Strange that none of the spanish media (or any other media for that matter) has picked up on that, no??

It won't take long before they do it. Just wait and see.

Advertisement

#6152 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 23:22

Apparently Seb missed it then, right. I definitely do not hate Alonso, I just found it totally classless when he threw a tantrum and now when he hasn´t had time or sumthin to congratulate.

Alonso congratulated Red Bull and Sebastian at the end of Abu Dhabi. Now, if Vettel is expecting for Fernando to bow to him, it will not happen. As far as I know, Alonso and Vettel are not personal friends so there is no reason for them to have each others phone numbers. Also, how many of the other 22 drivers have congratulated Vettel personally?

#6153 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,764 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 23:55

What's sincere about refusing to congratulate someone because you're unhappy that your team letting you down contributed to that person winning?

Why would being sporting and congratulating the better team/driver combo over the season for their achievement be merely politically correct?

I don't think you're correct on your assumptions about alonso but they are pretty low assumptions for a fan of his to hold.

Obviously it is hard for you to understand Fernando´s mind set. For him, the title was his all the way since Silverstone, and in an incredible tour de force he nearly conquered it, only for his team to finally mess it up. Talk about will power and look where Ferrari was at Silverstone.

So of course it would be more sporting to congratulate Sebastian (I for one am of the opinion that Vettel winning was much better for the sport and possibly started a new era - and I feel very happy and light since he won it), yet it is not inconceivable to me that Alonso´s claim on the title was so intense that it was impossible for him to congratulate someone on a title that slipped away in the last moment.

#6154 robefc

robefc

• 7,952 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:11

Obviously it is hard for you to understand Fernando´s mind set. For him, the title was his all the way since Silverstone, and in an incredible tour de force he nearly conquered it, only for his team to finally mess it up. Talk about will power and look where Ferrari was at Silverstone.

So of course it would be more sporting to congratulate Sebastian (I for one am of the opinion that Vettel winning was much better for the sport and possibly started a new era - and I feel very happy and light since he won it), yet it is not inconceivable to me that Alonso´s claim on the title was so intense that it was impossible for him to congratulate someone on a title that slipped away in the last moment.

The fact that it would be difficult (not impossible) is kind of the point...

Anyhow, this is all moot as I have no idea what alonso did or didn't do.

#6155 bound

bound

• 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:02

It was not only fist shaking, it was also middle finger. Anyway, both show how unsporting loser he was. Okay, someone will come and say that this and this driver have shown middle finger. But they have done that in the heat for racing moment, when they feel wronged by the actions of the other driver.

Instead, Alonso ventilated his frustation after the race for ruining his season by not letting him by. I don't know, maybe he was planning this for the last 20 laps, because he did not do anything on track? Anyway, for me it was realy sweet to see Alonso stuck for 40 laps behind a slow car. You know, in 2008 the haters started bashing Kimi around the mid season, when he was stuck behind Alonso somewhere. In the end, they won neither championship despite of big talks, and achieved only 3rd in the WCC thanks to focusing on Alonso only.

:clap:

Alonso did not lose the world championship until he crossed the line, so he was still in the heat of the moment when he did what many many drivers have done in history. Just more cheap pathetic bashing. Funny how at first Alonso was being bashed for shaking his fist, but when it was exposed that many drivers have done the same and worse, Alonso is now being bashed for when he shook his fist. Soon he will be bashed for shaking his fist in a red car. Sad.

#6156 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,484 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:14

Here Alonso is interviewed post race. At the 51 second mark he expressly congratulates Red Bull & Sebastian; so I don't know what the big deal is about. Seems nothing he does could ever satisfy some members of this BB.. ;)

Fred in Abu Dhabi

Edited by Craven Morehead, 23 November 2010 - 03:14.

#6157 bound

bound

• 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:54

I am still in shock at the utter stupidity of Ferrari's strategy decision. Its the worst maybe in the history of the sport. Amazed to see some people trying to justify that strategy. Sheesh. I have seen some arguments that they were worried about the pace of the softs relative to Petrov and Rosberg, so their solution to possibly losing position to them late in the race after a pitstop, was to pit immediately and guarantee they lost position behind them. :lol:
Oh the stupidity. At least if they stayed out until late in the race and lost position (fantasy) Alonso would have had the advantage of a massive fresh tyre advantage which could have allowed him to overtake, Like koybashi at Valencia and Suzuka, but by pitting so early in blind panic (thats what it was) they forfeited that advantage and their only hope.

Amazing that they seemed oblivious to the fact that overtaking competitive cars on basically any track is impossible in normal conditions, yet they deliberately conceeded two vital positions because of a very very low chance of conceeding 3 later in the race which would have made no difference. 2 or 3 lost positions, even 1 meant they lost the world championship. It was proven last year and even in the gp2 that overtaking on that track was impossible, yet they thought Alonso could do it, against two cars with the best top speeds?

Just insanity. Only someone with half a brain or in a blind desperate panic would have chosen the strategy Ferrari did. Someone needs to pay, heads must roll because if someone is capable of such incompetence they can never be trusted again. I was so happy when Webber pitted so early because I knew he would be stuck in slower traffic and was no longer a threat to Alonso in free air at the front, so imagine my horror and pure bewilderment when I saw Alonso pitted and emerge stuck in traffic. I knew it was automatically over and it was. And those clowns get paid millions as race strategy professionals :rotfl:

No matter. a tragic loss, but Schumacher had a few of them before he reached the peak of his career and Alonso's career path has always had a striking similarity with Michaels. He will only get stronger and will win many more championships of he was able to all but win this one, despite being new to the team, only having equal second best car and making so many uncharacteristic mistakes earlier in the season. Ferrari will also start making quicker cars and understanding the regulations so things will only get better for Alonso.

#6158 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:04

Here Alonso is interviewed post race. At the 51 second mark he expressly congratulates Red Bull & Sebastian; so I don't know what the big deal is about. Seems nothing he does could ever satisfy some members of this BB..;)

Fred in Abu Dhabi

Yep that's far better and much more personal than shaking the guy by the hand in person.

#6159 as65p

as65p

• 16,622 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 13:28

Yep that's far better and much more personal than shaking the guy by the hand in person.

If he had done that, there would still be people around questioning why there was no hugging or 30 sec tongue kisses.

Advertisement

#6160 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 14:52

If he had done that, there would still be people around questioning why there was no hugging or 30 sec tongue kisses.

Maybe, but I'm 100% sure Vettel wouldn't be saying he hadn't been congratulated by him.

#6161 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 15:14

Happy to hear the story of the helmet, it was puzzling me for a long time! And I am glad your survived - pretty nasty from the sounds of it.

Yes, when hinted, one can clearly see the Senna design incorporated, with Fisichella type colors (brighter than the Senna colors). A beautiful helmet, and now we know the story of the black marks at the side.
:up:

Hehe, thanks! Yea, I'm ALIVE! LOL!

#6162 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 15:16

explains some of your posts.;)

LOL I was actually going to write that same thing! :drunk:

#6163 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 15:26

You know what, I just think he firgures he did in fact congratulate him by congratulating RBR and in public. Sure, politically, it's not the same as in grabbing Seb's left butt cheek, but, it's probably not that big a deal, but for Nando's public image.

Like you said, Nando probably feels it's his Championship anyway, and if he didn't feel it to congratulate Seb, then, best thing is not to congratulate. I mean, last thing I would like if I was in Seb's shoes is for someone to come over and say "you know I'm congratulating you, but you're a lucky SOB and had my team not screwed me, I'd be celebrating in your place, but, ok, congrattz!" lol I mean, if he don't feel it, then he don't feel it.

The truth is, Nando isn't in F1 to make friends, he's there to win. Sure, it does say a lot about the human being inside the helmet, but, he's still a great racing driver, and Seb is still the World Champion even without Nando's blessing. :)

#6164 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,329 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 15:44

You know what, I just think he firgures he did in fact congratulate him by congratulating RBR and in public. Sure, politically, it's not the same as in grabbing Seb's left butt cheek, but, it's probably not that big a deal, but for Nando's public image.

Like you said, Nando probably feels it's his Championship anyway, and if he didn't feel it to congratulate Seb, then, best thing is not to congratulate. I mean, last thing I would like if I was in Seb's shoes is for someone to come over and say "you know I'm congratulating you, but you're a lucky SOB and had my team not screwed me, I'd be celebrating in your place, but, ok, congrattz!" lol I mean, if he don't feel it, then he don't feel it.

The truth is, Nando isn't in F1 to make friends, he's there to win. Sure, it does say a lot about the human being inside the helmet, but, he's still a great racing driver, and Seb is still the World Champion even without Nando's blessing. :)

I agree with this. Also, I'm sure Vettel prefers a worthy adversary who pushes him and fights him all season, over some silly handshake. In that sense the two sportsmen have already congratulated each other. Reminds me of the fuss some people made when it became known that Raikkonen didn't call Massa once the latter was out of surgery safely. All this touchy-feely stuff doesn't belong in F1.

Alonso has never really driven unfairly on track - in fact he's one of the fairest drivers today. That says more about him and his personality than all this reading-between-the-lines going on about whether he shook Vettel's hand or not.

#6165 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,825 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 16:26

A nice article on Formula1.com.

Even in the darkest days of his 2010 season, Alonso kept the faith and aggressively pursued a third championship. His focus never wavered once and though in the end Vettel won out, that he came so close to uprooting both Red Bull drivers is testament to the determination and single mindedness that has marked him out as arguably the greatest driver of his generation. He’ll be a force to be reckoned with again in 2011 - of that you can be sure.

http://www.formula1....0/11/11567.html

#6166 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,764 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 16:34

And both of them made for a great season....with only Button, Webber and Hamilton it would not have been the same, imagine the season having been a duel between Hamilton and Webber only..... :stoned:

Alonso is sincere in his own way, and you are right, why should he pinch Seb in his left butt cheek?! :lol:

#6167 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 17:23

The reality is quite different: (Joking) :) :rotfl: :)

FA: (To Mark Webber) Mark, did you congratulate, Seb?
MW: Yep. And you?
FA: Repeatedly in the press, but I'll give him a surprise.
MW: Really?
FA: Yes. I ordered a huge cake with a surprise inside.
MW: Interesting.

After that, MW talked about FA's plot to his crew.

An anonymous source claims that there is a high possibility that an unidentiffied problem has occurred either in the bakery or with the stripper.

SV, who knew FA's intentions, as the gift did not arrive, became anxious.

:rotfl: :)

Edited by jetalt, 23 November 2010 - 17:49.

#6168 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,484 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 20:18

:lol: He publicly congtatulated Seb in an interview that was likely streamed out to millions of people, but that's still not good enough for some people round here. :lol:

#6169 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 21:38

explains some of your posts.;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#6170 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:01

He must have foreseen Vettel's enigine blowing up in Korea as well :rolleyes:

Its normal to congratulate someone in person, i guess thats why Vettel mentioned it

I agree with this. Also, I'm sure Vettel prefers a worthy adversary who pushes him and fights him all season, over some silly handshake. In that sense the two sportsmen have already congratulated each other. Reminds me of the fuss some people made when it became known that Raikkonen didn't call Massa once the latter was out of surgery safely. All this touchy-feely stuff doesn't belong in F1.

Alonso has never really driven unfairly on track - in fact he's one of the fairest drivers today. That says more about him and his personality than all this reading-between-the-lines going on about whether he shook Vettel's hand or not.

Apart from the occassional brake test ;)

#6171 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,113 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:10

:lol: He publicly congtatulated Seb in an interview that was likely streamed out to millions of people, but that's still not good enough for some people round here. :lol:

Completely agree and it's not like Vettel just came up with it. He was asked by a journo and he just answered yes or no. It's says nothing really.

#6172 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:23

A nice article on Formula1.com.

http://www.formula1....0/11/11567.html

It almost reads like someone paid them to write the article. All about how great he has been last season, but no mention of the races he screwed up himself :confused: It just says that he didn't score many points in the first half, and it blames the car for that.

Edited by F.M., 23 November 2010 - 22:23.

#6173 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:43

And if you didn't see or hear said interviews?

Don't you honestly believe it would have been a far more sporting gesture to congratulate and shake his hand on the day?

#6174 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau

• 1,882 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 23:08

Don't you honestly believe it would have been a far more sporting gesture to congratulate and shake his hand on the day?

This is what I gather from the different interviews and comments I have read:
- Alonso was very down when he finished the race (as he explained to the press - he even acknowledged he had some tears, which is very human). He went to the Ferrari garage and took a few minutes to digest what had just happened and chin up. Some reports state that he was invited to go to parc ferme, but he preferred to go to the Ferrari garage first - and I can understand why, can't you?
- He then went to the RBR garage and congratulated the team; he was one of the first ones to do so, as per Horner's interview to the BBC a few minutes after the race. Apparently Vettel was not there, probably still at the PC. I don't think that Alonso was avoiding Vettel on purpose, why would he? Do you think that it would have been more painful to congratulate the driver than to congratulate the whole team? Actually, it would have been easier to congratulate Vettel while at parc ferme and not to face the joyful atmosphere at RBR's garage, so from that point of view Alonso did what was hardest.
- Alonso proceeded to have several interviews with different TVs and papers. In all of them he publicly congratulated RBR and Vettel.
- By the time he finished, the RBR team was in party mode (I don't know if they were still partying at the track or they had already left) and Alonso was with the Ferrari team, whose team members could probably do with a bit of attention and "love" from their driver - and a team leader would be very much aware of that, don't you think?

Now, from all the above I cannot see what is so nasty about Alonso's behaviour. If he had met Vettel and had refused to congratulate him then yes, that would be very reprehensible. If he were in SMS terms with Vettel and he had not congratulated him then yes, it would be reprehensible. But what he did is quite normal - I would just expect him to congratulate Vettel the first time they see each other.

#6175 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,162 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 23:22

i am sure Petrov, Chandhok, Massa, Kovalainen personally congratulated him.

they are preparing a birthday party too and a big cake with fernando going out of it in a red bull thong and a Randy 'Nandy' tatoo in his bottom. it should ease things between them. what a bunch of bad sports if not.

#6176 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 23:38

i am sure Petrov, Chandhok, Massa, Kovalainen personally congratulated him.

they are preparing a birthday party too and a big cake with fernando going out of it in a red bull thong and a Randy 'Nandy' tatoo in his bottom. it should ease things between them. what a bunch of bad sports if not.

According to ElMundo, Massa was the only Ferrari employee that went partying after the race :lol:

#6177 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau

• 1,882 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 23:45

According to ElMundo, Massa was the only Ferrari employee that went partying after the race :lol:

Well, he did have something to celebrate: the end of a season to forget. Now lets hope that he will have a better year in 2011!

#6178 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 23:57

Well, he did have something to celebrate: the end of a season to forget. Now lets hope that he will have a better year in 2011!

Let's hope Alonso has a better first half of season in 2011 than in 2010, and a second half of season at least as good as in 2010 too! :cool:

#6179 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,680 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:08

According to ElMundo,......

Advertisement

#6180 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,484 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:26

I don't really give a sh!t, personally. But I'd say a public congratulation that reaches millions of people around the world is more than enough. What the fnck do we care if any of them shake hands, or kiss and make up, or whatever else turns your crank? I certainly don't. This is F1, not Sunday School.

#6181 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:46

LOL I like that! :lol:

Who did he party with? Petrov? :stoned:

#6182 showtime

showtime

• 2,577 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:09

http://4.bp.blogspot.....da Alonso.jpg

Edited by showtime, 24 November 2010 - 11:10.

#6183 SennaHolic

SennaHolic

• 109 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 16:14

http://4.bp.blogspot.....da Alonso.jpg

Great, another article blaming the team and not FA for the Abu Dhabi Choke.

#6184 showtime

showtime

• 2,577 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 16:43

Great, another article blaming the team and not FA for the Abu Dhabi Choke.

:rotfl: sorry to spoil your crusade but they're not giants, just windmills.

#6185 Nesto

Nesto

• 94 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:25

2010 Tribue to Alonso

#6186 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 4,937 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:04

Here Alonso is interviewed post race. At the 51 second mark he expressly congratulates Red Bull & Sebastian; so I don't know what the big deal is about. Seems nothing he does could ever satisfy some members of this BB..;)

Fred in Abu Dhabi

Thanks for that.

Its bad, ppl are again nitpicking on Alonso.

Edited by vivian, 25 November 2010 - 07:05.

#6187 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:19

Thanks for that.

Its bad, ppl are again nitpicking on Alonso.

as usual....

#6188 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,228 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:51

Indeed, and I hope the same people who see this as not such a big deal aren't the same people who have whinged on the "Lewis swearing on Twitter" thread and got it up to 11 pages. Otherwise we are all p!ssing in the wind.

#6189 seahawk

seahawk

• 2,915 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:10

Indeed, and I hope the same people who see this as not such a big deal aren't the same people who have whinged on the "Lewis swearing on Twitter" thread and got it up to 11 pages. Otherwise we are all p!ssing in the wind.

You can not compare that. Lewis wrote a word, some find "bad", in his private Twitter message. Alonso again showed how unsporting he is, by refusing a hand shake with Vettel.

#6190 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,228 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:14

You can not compare that. Lewis wrote a word, some find "bad", in his private Twitter message. Alonso again showed how unsporting he is, by refusing a hand shake with Vettel.

I can compare a hypocritical post that moans about people having issues with Alonso over his post race behaviour, and in the same breath going onto the Lewis Twitter thread and sticking the boot in because Lewis wrote one sentence they didn't agree with.

#6191 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:23

maybe Seb wants a bit more than a handshake!!! :lol:

#6192 as65p

as65p

• 16,622 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:25

"private Twitter", that's a good one. :p

#6193 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 1,993 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:32

Bloody hell...

To actively refuse a hand shake means one is directly offered the hand of another and refuses to take it. Much like Raymond Domenech after the France vs. South Africa game at this year's World Cup.

Now. Remind me where Fernando Alonso had such a direct opportunity to shake Sebastien Vettel's hand.

And then tell me why it even matters in the grand scheme of things. Other than serve people such as yourself to have a pop at a racing driver.

#6194 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,228 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:42

None of us know the circumstances really.
Its worth mentioning that Fernando took time after the 2008 Brazilian GP to go down to the Mclaren garage and shake Lewis's hand. That was an admirable thing to do after the previous year and I'm sure Lewis appreciated it. :)

#6195 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,526 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:47

And then tell me why it even matters in the grand scheme of things. Other than serve people such as yourself to have a pop at a racing driver.

If you can't see fault in someone refusing to be magnanimous, sporting and showing some class, then obviously you won't find fault in Fernando Alonso. Why does it matter? :rolleyes:

#6196 dde

dde

• 800 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:05

Now. Remind me where Fernando Alonso had such a direct opportunity to shake Sebastien Vettel's hand.

After the race, when Hamilton and Button are congratulating Vettel (then Schumacher and a few others)...you can see Alonso passing through. 10 meters is not such a big distance.

#6197 as65p

as65p

• 16,622 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:12

If you can't see fault in someone refusing to be magnanimous, sporting and showing some class, then obviously you won't find fault in Fernando Alonso. Why does it matter? :rolleyes:

Well, the thing that would matter to me is if Alonso now came up and apologized for not congratulating Vettel publicly enough, because people demanded it on the Internet.

That I would be so... weak and disgusting. :p

#6198 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 1,993 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:23

Did he not publicly congratulate them on TV?

Do we really have to resort to this black/white or good/bad infantile judgmental nonsense?

Given that Alonso gave Vettel a huge hug in the pitlane after the latter took his record as "youngest ever race winner" at Monza in 2008, I hardly think it is easy to start throwing around accusations of people lacking "class". It strikes me that at Abu Dhabi Alonso felt an immediate need to go and console with his own team; he may have chosen to do so out of a concern that recriminations may have been creeping into the Ferrari garage already. This is the work of a team leader.

I really do wonder about precisely what sort of people are following the sport I love when I come on forums such as this and read some of the comments. Are you (and others like you) this judgmental with the people you actually know in real life?

Edited by wj_gibson, 25 November 2010 - 11:24.

#6199 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,526 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:58

Do we really have to resort to this black/white or good/bad infantile judgmental nonsense?

Given that Alonso gave Vettel a huge hug in the pitlane after the latter took his record as "youngest ever race winner" at Monza in 2008, I hardly think it is easy to start throwing around accusations of people lacking "class". It strikes me that at Abu Dhabi Alonso felt an immediate need to go and console with his own team; he may have chosen to do so out of a concern that recriminations may have been creeping into the Ferrari garage already. This is the work of a team leader.

I really do wonder about precisely what sort of people are following the sport I love when I come on forums such as this and read some of the comments. Are you (and others like you) this judgmental with the people you actually know in real life?

Chill out and try reading my post first. I wasn't talking about Abu Dhabi in particular. Over 10 years or so, there have been enough incidents to realise that Fernando isn't the most sporting gentleman in the pit lane and some would say that is a virtue of a true racer so I am not even criticising it. I'm sure he will achieve more in his career than he would do if he was interested in a popularity contest.

However, what I was replying to was your contention that is doesn't MATTER if someone is sporting or not. Oh yes it does. There is a lot of class in HOW you win and lose.

Ps, your last para was pretty ironic!

Edited by Rinehart, 25 November 2010 - 12:59.

Advertisement

#6200 Tactical

Tactical

• 60 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 14:41

Exactly my thoughts. Always a pleasure to read you.

Cheers.