Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#7001 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 21:53

Well I don't agree with him at all.

First, when going 110 instead of 120 you do save fuel. Around those speeds it's when the fuel consumption starts go really go up. Although a more extreme variation, when I switched from going to work at 130/140 kph to the 100 kph I'm going now, I really noticed it.
Second, let's face it, Spaniards are not very disciplined drivers. If they (we) are not responsible enough, either be, or not start crying if there are harder restrictions, because it's our own making.

Also, I don't think he should be doing declarations like that because it's just fuel for those idiots here that think that the streets are a race circuit.

Yes, I know this opinion will not be popular. And no, not me nor my family have had, touch wood, an accident involving speeding drivers.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I can´t understand why people is moaning about it, there´s no negative part really. Less consumption, less risks... anything improving road safety is worthy.

Advertisement

#7002 as65p

as65p

• 17,800 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 22:05

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/89674

I wanted to slate him for this, but its another case of Autosports awful headlines.

Sure he says the change will hurt the top teams due to the uncertainty but he also recognizes its the same for everyone. IMO it doesnt hurt the top teams, it just gives the smaller teams a chance to grab a strange result.

But that's the same, isn't it? By definition, a freak result from a small team must come at the expense of a top team.

"I'm not keen on that because I think this increased uncertainty does not favour the strongest teams."

That's as honest as it gets, I think. He doesn't say they should change it or anything, just that he isn't keen on it because it increases the the uncertainty for drivers in top teams (like himself). A straightforward, simple statement.

#7003 prty

prty

• 5,219 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 22:18

I consider that it is far less than optimal, "attacking" the Government, rightly or wrongly.

I don't think attacking the government is any bad, in fact critizism is usually good, the bad part is the effect on those who think they are Fernando Alonso... on the public roads.

#7004 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 23:02

I don't think attacking the government is any bad, in fact critizism is usually good, the bad part is the effect on those who think they are Fernando Alonso... on the public roads.

If you are an anonymous person, perhaps, but if you are FA, absolutely not. Why turn a feasible ally into an enemy?. Strange maths. :drunk:

I understand your point but I differ strongly.

Edited by jetalt, 28 February 2011 - 23:04.

#7005 as65p

as65p

• 17,800 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 23:06

Let's face it, motorracing in general is bad, bad, bad for educating people to drive sensibly on their everyday roads. That's just the way it is. The rest, safety campaigns with drivers, bla-bla-bla, is just sugarcoating that basic fact.

#7006 prty

prty

• 5,219 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 23:13

Let's face it, motorracing in general is bad, bad, bad for educating people to drive sensibly on their everyday roads. That's just the way it is. The rest, safety campaigns with drivers, bla-bla-bla, is just sugarcoating that basic fact.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about doing something pro safety (like campaigns, which as you say it's just sugarcoating as we saw with Hamilton in Melbourne), but not doing something against it. Because if it wasn't bad enough, with Alonso's comments some people will feel vindicated for speeding on roads, without realising they don't have the same skills.

#7007 as65p

as65p

• 17,800 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 23:45

Yeah, but I'm not talking about doing something pro safety (like campaigns, which as you say it's just sugarcoating as we saw with Hamilton in Melbourne), but not doing something against it. Because if it wasn't bad enough, with Alonso's comments some people will feel vindicated for speeding on roads, without realising they don't have the same skills.

I see your point. OTOH, if he had said that he supported speed limits would you believe him? :D

I'd say the best solution would have been for him to not comment at all, in that sense I agree.

#7008 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,416 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:21

2 videos from yesteradys event.

http://www.dailymoti...ople#from=embed

http://www.dailymoti...bcam#from=embed

6 min video, very interesting.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Anothe one.

Fernando will be collaborating with "Solidari@s: ¡Somos Haití!", an ONG (NGO in english) to help Haiti.

Posted Image

http://www.blogsolid...

Edited by kosmos, 01 March 2011 - 06:42.

#7009 prty

prty

• 5,219 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:02

I see your point. OTOH, if he had said that he supported speed limits would you believe him? :D

I'd say the best solution would have been for him to not comment at all, in that sense I agree.

Yeah I would believe him, because you dont have to take into account your ability to go at that speed, but the others ability. In fact he said in some interview that Spanish and Italian drivers are very undisciplined to what I agree, having been in both countries. So if he thinks that, then his current declarations werent very thought out. But everyone is guilty of that at some point.

#7010 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:35

The worst car I've had was the R29 in 2009 and with that I managed a podium in Singapore

:rotfl:

#7011 as65p

as65p

• 17,800 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:43

I assume you're laughing because you got 2008 and 2009 mixed up? :D

#7012 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:07

I agree with Alonso. I'd say the R29 was the worst car he drove by far in F1 after the Minardi PS01.

#7013 showtime

showtime

• 2,671 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:14

Context is everything and you are playing with his words to make them sound different. Please, quote the whole answer.

#7014 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:29

I assume you're laughing because you got 2008 and 2009 mixed up? :D

I certainly did! :blush:

#7015 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,350 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:41

Alonso did debut in F1 at Albert Park 10 years ago - 4 March 2001 - 4 March 2011 ! :clap: Gooo Alonso !

#7016 BalazsF1

BalazsF1

• 1,019 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:54

2 videos from yesteradys event.

http://www.dailymoti...ople#from=embed

http://www.dailymoti...bcam#from=embed

6 min video, very interesting.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Anothe one.

Where could this picture taken? :)
What kind of event did Fernando take part at?

Fernando will be collaborating with "Solidari@s: ¡Somos Haití!", an ONG (NGO in english) to help Haiti.

Posted Image

http://www.blogsolid...

#7017 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,416 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:58

Congratulations Fernando!!! :love:

Championships 2 (2005, 2006)
Wins 26
Podiums 63
Career points 829
Pole positions 20
Fastest laps 18

And more to come, good luck for this year.

#7018 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,350 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:09

Congratulations Fernando!!! :love:

And more to come, good luck for this year.

:up: :love:

#7019 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,416 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:42

Some quotes in english from MARCA's interviews, a lot of stuff missing but something is something.

"I expected a team of legend and magic and it has been a pleasant surprise, even better than I expected,"

more here.

Advertisement

#7020 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:30

The man is a God!!!! :up: :up:

#7021 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:56

:eek:

#7022 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:00

Alonso - 10 years Formula 1 :up: :up:

Adelante Campeon for the next 10 years and a lot of titels with ferrari! :smoking:

#7023 msayrton

msayrton

• 33 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:17

Let's hope our beloved driver will race for much more years.. =]
He said some years ago that he's gonna stop after a third title -.-
I'm happy that Ferrari seems to have changed his mind :D

#7024 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:18

The beginning....... :D

#7025 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,594 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 13:42

Funnily enough his fastest lap is only about 0.1 seconds faster than anyone else that race so he must of been hamming in lap after lap at that pace to build up such a monumental lead.
Although its not great quality you should also be able to spot a few other F1 drivers in that race, including one he was fighting with for the championship last year ;)

#7026 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 14:52

"I am in no hurry to go; here, I even enjoy finishing second, eighth and twenty third."

Oh yes, that's why you were gesticulating at Lucas in Monaco and Vitaly in Abu Dhabi, because you enjoyed that :rolleyes:.

I wish Fred all the worst, pathetic person deserves only bad things. It's such a shame we have a character like him in F1, but on the positive side with every year it's one year closer to his retirement. Fred, more di Grassis and Petrovs on your way, that will make you happy!

Edited by Mastah, 05 March 2011 - 09:13.

#7027 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 14:57

Oh yes, that's why you was gesticulating at Lucas in Monaco and Vitaly in Abu Dhabi, because you enjoyed that :rolleyes:.

I wish Fred all the worst, pathetic person deserves only bad things. It's such a shame we have a character like him in F1, but on the positive side with every year it's one year closer to his retirement. Fred, more di Grassis and Petrovs on your way, that will make you happy!

Classy :rolleyes:

#7028 prty

prty

• 5,219 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 15:07

Oh yes, that's why you was gesticulating at Lucas in Monaco and Vitaly in Abu Dhabi, because you enjoyed that :rolleyes:.

That's good, let it out :lol:

#7029 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,416 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 15:13

It's such a shame we have a character like him in F1

F1 don't need disrespectful people like you, the only shame here is you, maybe I should wish the worst for you, what do you think? :down:

#7030 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 15:30

I hope that was meant to be sarcastic :eek: We all know he's flawless! :love:

#7031 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 15:52

I guess he knows by now he can get away with making things up - he's not known as Teflonso for nothing. His fans don't care - in fact bluffing and lying may actually be seen as admirable in some cultures - and F1 thrives on having a few baddies to hiss at. If he's happy with the image he projects, and with where it gets him in life, he's hardly going to change.

#7032 CF22

CF22

• 388 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 15:57

Wow, and talking about character. :smoking:

#7033 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 16:44

Alonso - 10 years Formula 1 :up: :up:

Adelante Campeon for the next 10 years and a lot of titels with ferrari! :smoking:

WOW! Excellent video! :D :up:

Sadly for some and happily for others, Fernando still has many years to go in his career...

Btw, a short interview before his debut in F1!

#7034 TheCrazyWind

TheCrazyWind

• 42 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 16:57

That means Webber has 11 years of F1 :eek:

#7035 figue

figue

• 191 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:07

I guess he knows by now he can get away with making things up - he's not known as Teflonso for nothing. His fans don't care - in fact bluffing and lying may actually be seen as admirable in some cultures - and F1 thrives on having a few baddies to hiss at. If he's happy with the image he projects, and with where it gets him in life, he's hardly going to change.

who's making things up?

being happy in general doesn't mean he has to be cheering and smiling all the time

guys get a life

#7036 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:20

Wasn't it Massa that showed his class at the Nurburgring in 2007 by verbally attacking Alonso?

Point I am trying to make is that drivers lose it at times. They are human afterall and vent their frustrations in weird ways.

#7037 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:24

I wish Fred all the worst, pathetic person deserves only bad things. It's such a shame we have a character like him i

You've taken the time to make nearly 2,000 posts to a motor sports forum and you fail to realize racing drivers are a totally different breed?
Attend a top level Kart race meeting or go to a race school, then come back and tell us racing drivers are all of impeccable and likeable character, even without adrenaline flowing. Listen to some in-car radio from the drivers who never made to F1 as they race in tin tops swearing and carrying on.
F1 drivers learnt their trade in Karting, where parents and drivers are regularly involved in bitter arguments and sometimes punch ups. Where rich Daddys buy up a dozen engines at 5 figure sums so they can cream off the faster ones. Second thoughts, stay at home in your bedroom, I think the real world would be far too shocking for you.

#7038 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:31

Poor you.
Never saw before a Ferrari fan extremely happy for losing the championship as you did last Abu Dhabi gp.
I understand that you prefer Massa, but preferring the red car to lose just that Alonso doesn't win doesn't suit at all a Ferrari supporter - I think you should keep your comments on the Massa thread.

#7039 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:35

Btw, a short interview before his debut in F1!

He seemed very confident.

Advertisement

#7040 CF22

CF22

• 388 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:39

Wasn't it Massa that showed his class at the Nurburgring in 2007 by verbally attacking Alonso?

Point I am trying to make is that drivers lose it at times. They are human afterall and vent their frustrations in weird ways.

That fight in 2007 was epic, in Italian. But that's the way competitive racing is and people seem not to understand that. It is perfectly fine for this to happen when two competitive people clash in such a way, and not just in racing but other sports as well, politics and everywhere else were you have to beat an opponent.

I wish Alonso many more years in F1 and hopefully many more championships with Ferrari.

Forza Ferrari!!! Forza Fernando!!! Forza Felipe!!!

#7041 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 347 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:46

This :up: :up: :up:

#7042 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 18:21

It's pretty sad some can't see it.

#7043 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 18:22

He seemed very confident.

and humble.

#7044 dav115

dav115

• 722 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 18:28

Actually, Alonso was the one who started that whole argument by saying to Massa "L'hai fatto apposta come a Barcellona", or "you did it deliberately like in [turn 1 lap 1] Barcelona".

#7045 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 22:15

I wish Alonso many more years in F1 and hopefully many more championships with Ferrari.

:up: :up: I do two

Never I saw Fernando with such a content smiling face than now in Ferrari. He arrived at "home". :cool:

#7046 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,657 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 22:47

Never saw before a Ferrari fan

Please dont call him that.  ;)

#7047 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 23:50

Please don't discuss other posters.

#7048 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 15:02

F1 don't need disrespectful people like you, the only shame here is you, maybe I should wish the worst for you, what do you think? :down:

What I think is that Fred doesn't respect other drivers, when fighting for position (Monaco and Abu Dhabi 2010 or also USA 2007/Germany 2010 and his requests of team order), so it's not me who is disrespectful, it's your favourite driver.

Unfortunately :well:. It's like he spits on everyones faces, but his fans are saying "it's only rain, nothing wrong with that".

Poor you.
Never saw before a Ferrari fan extremely happy for losing the championship as you did last Abu Dhabi gp.
I understand that you prefer Massa, but preferring the red car to lose just that Alonso doesn't win doesn't suit at all a Ferrari supporter - I think you should keep your comments on the Massa thread.

I support Ferrari, but I will never ever support lying, pathetic person like Fernando is. No matter how fantastic his driving skills are, he's the cancer within the team. I really enjoyed 2007-2009 period, but with 2010 it's the return of "win at all costs" mentality. And 2011 will be even worse, because I KNOW there's sword over few heads if championships won't be won. So yeah, I'm happy when better guy wins over bad guy.

You've taken the time to make nearly 2,000 posts to a motor sports forum and you fail to realize racing drivers are a totally different breed?
Attend a top level Kart race meeting or go to a race school, then come back and tell us racing drivers are all of impeccable and likeable character, even without adrenaline flowing. Listen to some in-car radio from the drivers who never made to F1 as they race in tin tops swearing and carrying on.
F1 drivers learnt their trade in Karting, where parents and drivers are regularly involved in bitter arguments and sometimes punch ups. Where rich Daddys buy up a dozen engines at 5 figure sums so they can cream off the faster ones. Second thoughts, stay at home in your bedroom, I think the real world would be far too shocking for you.

No shit, Sherlock!

When 2 out of 24 drivers are sad losers I will say that, because I can.

Weird ways? I saw last year two examples of not even weird, but absolutely normal frustration. Vitaly was trying to smash steering wheel and Hulk threw his helmet. There is nothing wrong with showing your emotions. But when Fred gestures towards other drivers, who are figting for position, then it shows his true character - pathetic, sad loser, who thinks others have to make their way for His Highness.

#7049 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 16:19

I don't care about Fernando or Felipe's characters as they are not friends of mine. As long as they do the business on track I don't care if they insult each other or the other driver's mothers...

No points are given for being humanitarian of the year.

#7050 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 18:09

Nice quotes from Alonso on the 2005 and 2006 Renault.