Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#7051 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 19:24

It's OK when other drivers show emotion towards other drivers:

But if Alonso does the same it just shows the class of person he really is... :|

Yes, right. I just love the double standards here. Why is it so difficult to admit that the main reason that you dislike/hate Fernando Alonso is simply for the fact HE has trashed ("insert your favorite driver here") in numerous times and that you hate the man no matter he does or doesn't do?

Then again, nice guys finish last, Schumacher wasn't exactly nice on track to his rivals and Senna either:

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Would you say they are bad people in real life simply because on track they are ruthless and want to win at all cost? Of course not :wave:

Edited by AlanWake, 05 March 2011 - 19:25.

Advertisement

#7052 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 19:32

The best is without a doubt this:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#7053 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,337 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 20:21

Fernando is great and it´s good he is showing he´s feelings...If you haven´t watch "El Hormiguero" 5 videos, do it ! :lol: :up:
Videos

#7054 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 307 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 20:31

The best is without a doubt this:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The race engineers reply ("stop transmitting you stupid bastard!") is even better.

#7055 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 20:45

Ah, Massa and his ol' half assed overtakes. He doesn't realise that if he hits the sidepod then he is behind.

#7056 CF22

CF22

• 388 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 21:27

Fernando is great and it´s good he is showing he´s feelings...If you haven´t watch "El Hormiguero" 5 videos, do it ! :lol: :up:
Videos

So funny how they make fun of Hamilton and his dad. :)

#7057 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 21:37

"During 2007's preseason I always knew, that Fernando was reserving a few tenths in his pocket. In fact, there were many races where till Saturday's qualifying, Fernando did not give his greatest effort, because he wanted to surprise Hamilton at the last minute. There it was Malaysia, doing the Pole after being away in the free practices, or Monaco, exactly the same. I learned a lot from Fernando in this regard, 100% confident in himself and knowing exactly how much time he had in his pocket to confuse, even me."

Source: PdLR (Question number 15th):

http://www.pedrodela...llano/index.php

#7058 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 22:29

Fernando is probably the only driver who comes close to Schumacher in terms of speed, intelligence, talent and resilience. It is a priviledge to see him drive, just as it was a priviledge to watch Schumacher.

#7059 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,455 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 00:12

Yeah - Fernando probably sucks as much as Schumacher when it comes to racing but is probably just as good at getting the team around him.

Advertisement

#7060 weareracing

weareracing

• 890 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 00:27

Maybe he sucks from your point of view, BUT...........
He rates in the ALL Time Top 20, maybe even Top 10.
Like it or not He Has TALENT, a 3rd World Drivers Championship in 2011 would be no surprise.
Just remember this is the KID that brought the Schumacher/Ferrari/Todt/Brawn/Moseley Empire tumbling down.
His inter-personal skills may be debatable (he gets an A+ from me in respect of his human reaction to the Kubica Rally accident), BUT
HE IS A WINNER.
Forza Fernando 2011,
You ARE THE MAN :smoking:

#7061 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 00:40

Fernando is probably the only driver who comes close to Schumacher in terms of speed, intelligence, talent and resilience. It is a priviledge to see him drive, just as it was a priviledge to watch Schumacher.

Rubens is proven the only driver who comes close to Schumacher in terms of speed, intelligence, talent and resilience. It is a priviledge to see him drive, just as it was a priviledge to watch Schumacher.

#7062 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,194 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 00:50

Yeah, stubborn, difficult character sometimes, unable to keep quiet right after the heat of the battle - which made him say sometimes things he just really didn't think, introverted except with familiar people, competitive to death and obsessed with winning the big prize, jealously tries to guard his privacy, feels he has something the others don't and so he deserves a special consideration...

But a very humble guy when it comes to normal life, best friend of his friends, very talented driver, intelligent, able to motivate teams, with a deep technical knowledge of the car which he also knows how to transmit to the team... double world champion, 26 wins, one of the top drivers in F1 history and statistics, the guy who brought Schumacher's reign to an end, ignoring the permanent denigration carried out by some british papers, and even if you don't like it he respects the top drivers around him.

He has been regarded as the best driver in the grid by most team principals in recent years and that shows who Fernando Alonso is.

Edited by Nitropower, 06 March 2011 - 00:53.

#7063 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,323 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 00:53

Rubens is proven the only driver who comes close to Schumacher in terms of speed, intelligence, talent and resilience. It is a priviledge to see him drive, just as it was a priviledge to watch Schumacher.

Great stuff. Now we just await the multiple championships.

#7064 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:00

Great stuff. Now we just await the multiple championships.

Exactly.
Since Rubens was imposed "alternative" race strategies to Schumacher optimal ones...

What I'm really trying to say between the lines is Alonso and Schumy never had common teammates.
So we can't drawn any kind of comparison [among FA and MS].

#7065 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,323 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:16

Exactly.
Since Rubens was imposed "alternative" race strategies to Schumacher optimal ones...

What I'm really trying to say between the lines is Alonso and Schumy never had common teammates.

Massa???

#7066 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:25

So funny how they make fun of Hamilton and his dad. :)

Classy

#7067 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:58

Massa???

Exactly... never had until Massa. :blush:

But anyway... both defeated Massa by far, but schumy did it when Massa was perfectly fit, so no comparison possible either.

Edited by DarthRonzo, 06 March 2011 - 02:03.

#7068 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:51

Their peaks maybe, but the fact that FA beat Schumi two times in a row (05,06) might say a lot....

#7069 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:42

Unlike Alonso, once Schumi had attained at least his first WDC, none of his team mates ever placed higher than him in the FIA standings at the end of the season. Let alone a team mate that was just a rookie. You guys wish Alonso is better than Schumi ever was.

edit: Of course I'm not talking about a Schumi that's over the hill and comes back into the sport a la Rocky style. Even then, 3 yrs out of the sport, he accounted himself well against a young gun that no doubt would give Alonso a run for his money if they were team mates.

Edited by ArtShelley, 06 March 2011 - 08:44.

#7070 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:28

Unlike Alonso, once Schumi had attained at least his first WDC, none of his team mates ever placed higher than him in the FIA standings at the end of the season. Let alone a team mate that was just a rookie. You guys wish Alonso is better than Schumi ever was.

edit: Of course I'm not talking about a Schumi that's over the hill and comes back into the sport a la Rocky style. Even then, 3 yrs out of the sport, he accounted himself well against a young gun that no doubt would give Alonso a run for his money if they were team mates.

Unlike Alonso, Shumi never had a team that was basically racing against him.

#7071 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:40

:stoned: Alonso had!!!

after the 2007 Chinese Grand Prix, dennis said "We weren't racing Kimi, we were basically racing Fernando."

#7072 CrashPad

CrashPad

• 243 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:41

I find it quite funny how people bring this up in Alonso's defence, because while McLaren surely prefered to see Hamilton win in 2007, it was completely 100% Alonso's own fault. You get what you give.
Had he acted with some class then perhaps McLaren would have showed some love in return.

And lets not forget that McLaren never actually did anything to hamper Alonso's chances to succeed.

#7073 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:00

Unlike Alonso, once Schumi had attained at least his first WDC, none of his team mates ever placed higher than him in the FIA standings at the end of the season.

Having teammates "contractually" obligated to support him (as Irvine, Barrichello, and Massa had to do) could be the reason...

#7074 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,323 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:09

Having teammates "contractually" obligated to support him (as Irvine, Barrichello, and Massa had to do) could be the reason...

I doubt Schumi needed a contract to beat those guys but it is what it is and that will always hang over his head much like Alonso being challenged and beaten by a rather talented rookie.

I will say this though, when the equipment is right both Alonso and Schumacher are point scoring machines. They deflate the opposition with consistent scoring.

#7075 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:10

:stoned: Alonso had!!!

Here's the complete quote from Ron Dennis:

"The problem was rain and his (Hamilton's) tyres were in the worst condition. But we weren't at all fazed about Kimi . We weren't racing Kimi, we were basically racing Fernando. "Kimi winning and Lewis coming second was adequate. It just didn't quite work out that way."

#7076 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,803 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:14

To avoid this spinning off, please remember that there are threads for Hamilton v Alonso and another to compare Alonso and Schumacher at the heights (so far) of their respective careers. This thread is not for those discussions.

#7077 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,803 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 19:19

Posts deleted. Astonishingly, everything posted after my warning above was off topic.

There is a thread for Hamilton v Alonso.

There is a thread to compare the careers of Schumacher and Alonso.

Please post any comments in respect of those subjects in the respective threads, where everyone can find them.

Please also cut out the trolling and flamebaiting, it's not welcome here.

#7078 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,803 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:34

And again.

If you simply must respond to an off topic message, copy and paste it across to the correct thread.

#7079 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 21:43

Care to put some flesh on the bones of that statement?

Advertisement

#7080 Flamini

Flamini

• 831 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:19

Exactly... never had until Massa. :blush:

But anyway... both defeated Massa by far, but schumy did it when Massa was perfectly fit, so no comparison possible either.

There is no evidence that Massa isn't perfectly fit now. Massa had problems with the tyres and this is the reason his poor performance.

#7081 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 13:31

It depends of your own definition of "close" in F1.
Considering all the time they were togethwr at Ferrari, IMO, it was "close".

And I don't think Felipe Massa is Lance Armstrong.
Having an illness/accident and come back better is not for everyone.
A skull fracture, the psyco trauma and some months off in professional pracrice doesn't make you better.

#7082 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 15:21

To all Fernando Alonso Fans:

I am sure you'll love this video:

#7083 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:02

That overtake over Lewis at Spa side by side through Eau Rouge is one of my favourite moves and one I hold in high regard. Superb.

#7084 GPmaster

GPmaster

• 455 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 18:00

:clap:

#7085 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,455 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 18:15

#7086 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,733 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 18:42

That overtake over Lewis at Spa side by side through Eau Rouge is one of my favourite moves and one I hold in high regard. Superb.

That move was particularly ballsy but the tactic he used to force Lewis wide off the track at La Source to gain that advantage was a little uncalled for in my eyes.

#7087 P123

P123

• 8,475 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 19:25

Nice video. Great move on Massa at the NUrburgring '07- in fact a great battle that lasted a few laps.

#7088 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,323 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 21:18

Nice video. Great move on Massa at the NUrburgring '07- in fact a great battle that lasted a few laps.

The battle continued after the GP as well...

#7089 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 21:34

That move was particularly ballsy but the tactic he used to force Lewis wide off the track at La Source to gain that advantage was a little uncalled for in my eyes.

It was a hard move from Fernando, but a fair move.

#7090 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,037 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:24

ALonso article

#7091 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:03

That move its called racing. Maybe a reminder to those who say Alonso can't overtake. But you never know, maybe Petrov is better than Hamilton :eek:

#7092 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:53

The move was perfectly legitimate. Yes it was hard, but Lewis himself has done that to other drivers and as I recall, he's done that to Massa several times in the one race.

Lewis did not have to yield at La Source, he could have held his line on the outside and stayed on the track. Of course it MIGHT have resulted in contact with Alonso but then again it might not have as they are both very clean racers in general and we never know if Alonso may have realised the impending and tightened his line accordingly. As it was, Alonso's sudden sweep to the outside at La Source did the trick and Lewis made a reactive evasive manouevre to avoid perceived contact. In my opinion it was Lewis' mistake to move. Alonso is no Vettel, Alguersuari, Kobayashi or Webber in so much that Lewis should have held his line as was his right. Alonso won that battle, fair and square.

#7093 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,733 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:32

It was a hard move from Fernando, but a fair move.

I don't know as I would agree with that. We know from the previous race that tensions were high and it was a pretty violent swerve that would have taken both out of the race had Lewis not driven off the track to avoid his teammate taking an unnecessary direction change IMO. Alonso had the inside line but swerved alot more than Raikkonen and even put two wheels off the track himself before steering back onto it. I think it was a clear message to Lewis not to attempt the overtake. It was a hard move by Alonso but I think it was unnecessary, and had he collected Hamilton there would have been a considerable pile up from behind resulting in Fernando facing the stewards.

#7094 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,590 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 14:37

Did you see how much steering angle Alonso used? it was about twice as much used to get through La Source hairpin haha! That was clearly him correcting oversteer because if he had the grip that much steering input would put him going straight for the outside barrier.

Failed bash.

#7095 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,733 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 14:54

Did you see how much steering angle Alonso used? it was about twice as much used to get through La Source hairpin haha! That was clearly him correcting oversteer because if he had the grip that much steering input would put him going straight for the outside barrier.

Failed bash.

Get over yourself. I'm not bashing anybody but I'm entitled to my opinion and that still stands. :rolleyes:

#7096 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,590 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 15:19

Get over yourself. I'm not bashing anybody but I'm entitled to my opinion and that still stands. :rolleyes:

Its painfully flawed opinion and any reasonable person not out to just bash a driver would of taken the time to look at it before jumping to the opinion "he's a bad man and I don't like him so it must of been on purpose". Also they would retract the opinion when its clearly wrong. There is no lack of stuff to bash Alonso about these days, no need to make stuff up.

If Alonso did it on purpose why did he push Hamilton onto the run off area where he could get better traction and leave himself half on the curb/"grass" with less traction...too much run off to expect Hamilton to end up in the wall.
If he did it on purpose Hamilton in the same car would need to put in nearly as much steering angle to avoid him... Guess what? Alonso looked to be putting in at least 110 degrees of counter clockwise angle from the horizontal (clearly turning left) to end up on the curb and from other videos Hamilton used about 5-10 degrees (he was still clearly turning right) to get much wider and on the run off area.

If anything happened and the stewards got involved the telemetry would pin it to a racing incident.

#7097 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,733 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:05

Its painfully flawed opinion and any reasonable person not out to just bash a driver would of taken the time to look at it before jumping to the opinion "he's a bad man and I don't like him so it must of been on purpose". Also they would retract the opinion when its clearly wrong. There is no lack of stuff to bash Alonso about these days, no need to make stuff up.

If you knew me as a poster you would know I don't dislike Alonso and simply bash him for the sake of it. The ITV footage which I still have on my PVR shows Alonso onboard and he doe not motion the steering wheel in order to correct the car at all. The car is stable at La Source (with help from TC) and appears to take a wider line than the car infront in a very smooth action. I am not jumping to the opinion on this as I have happily had 4 years to form my opinion with the advantage of having the full race footage at my disposal and an objective outlook that not every driver sh!ts gold, and walks through the paddock with a hazy glow. No I haven't been sat away in my loft dreaming up ways to bash Alonso, and I am safe in the knowledge that I am entitled to my opinion without fear of needing to get other fans with different opinions to give me permission to do so.

FIN.

#7098 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,733 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:10

That move its called racing. Maybe a reminder to those who say Alonso can't overtake.

You probably should have watched the clip again before posting that. Alonso qualified one place higher than Lewis (great considering McLaren gave Alonso an inferior car wink wink) and if anything Lewis was only ever half a cars length ahead of Fernando heading towards Eau Rouge. If anything the latter part of this action was good defensive driving by Fernando and holding the inside line rather than a fine example of overtaking. Fernando would have needed to have been behind Lewis not side by side to be able to do that.  ;)

#7099 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 429 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:06

After getting the advantage of using the run-off area after La Source to maintain momentum like Kimi did in 2009,Lewis was still slightly ahead of Alonso going into the dip at the start of Eau Rouge.Alonso dived in from the outside to overtake Lewis into the left hand turn.
An overtaking move into the most daunting turn(s) in F1.That's as good as you will ever see and Alonso wasn't even placed well to take the next right hander of Eau Rouge but still pulled away from Lewis throughout the whole race to get 3rd place behind the 2 Ferrari's.

Advertisement

#7100 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 429 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:19

In December of 1998 Fernando tested a Formula One car for the first time on the Jerez track. "We were in Jerez to try out six or seven drivers ", says Cesare Fiorio, former sporting director of Lancia, Ferrari, Ligier, Prost and Minardi. "One of them was Fernando Alonso. In the morning it was raining and we didn't think we would be able to give them a real trial, but felt that maybe it would be worth just to see if any of them really stood out. They all did a few laps and by the end of the day Alonso was far quicker, a second and a half or so, and you could see he had it all: sense, concentration, intelligence... the attributes which, combined with talent, make for a champion".
"He is the prodigy of prodigies. In 40 years I have had more than 300 race drivers under me, and I had never seen anyone like him. He's one of those drivers who comes around every 10 years. Schumacher, Prost, Senna, Piquet all had their eras, and he is most definitely set to occupy the centre stage of Formula One for the next 10 years," claims Fiorio.

Fiorio was the one that got Ferrari engines into the 4xWorld Rally Championship winning wedge shaped Lancia Stratos of the 1970's.
He played a small part in getting Ferrari engines behind Alonso in F1 too!