• 3,538 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:58

check this!

:clap: Alonso GRANDE!!!!

#7103 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:07

In December of 1998 Fernando tested a Formula One car for the first time on the Jerez track. "We were in Jerez to try out six or seven drivers ", says Cesare Fiorio, former sporting director of Lancia, Ferrari, Ligier, Prost and Minardi. "One of them was Fernando Alonso. In the morning it was raining and we didn't think we would be able to give them a real trial, but felt that maybe it would be worth just to see if any of them really stood out. They all did a few laps and by the end of the day Alonso was far quicker, a second and a half or so, and you could see he had it all: sense, concentration, intelligence... the attributes which, combined with talent, make for a champion".
"He is the prodigy of prodigies. In 40 years I have had more than 300 race drivers under me, and I had never seen anyone like him. He's one of those drivers who comes around every 10 years. Schumacher, Prost, Senna, Piquet all had their eras, and he is most definitely set to occupy the centre stage of Formula One for the next 10 years," claims Fiorio.

Fiorio was the one that got Ferrari engines into the 4xWorld Rally Championship winning wedge shaped Lancia Stratos of the 1970's.
He played a small part in getting Ferrari engines behind Alonso in F1 too!

Who is Cesare Fiorio to say this, btw? :wave:

EDIT: "Cesare Fiorio is a former Formula One sporting director for Ferrari, Ligier and Minardi, and former team manager of Lancia's factory World Rally Championship team."

:)

Edited by AlanWake, 09 March 2011 - 12:09.

#7104 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,467 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 14:25

check this!

Shame that he couldn't finish the race, that was one of the best perfomances on wet ever. Renault and his wheel nuts :drunk:

#7105 7timesbetterthantherest

7timesbetterthantherest

• 192 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 15:58

Vettel has said today that Alonso did not congradulate him in Abu-Dabi after the race when the german won the title ... :down:

But they shook hands at the awards ceremony that took place in Monte Carlo recently.... but Fernando still did not congradulate him !

Alonso takes the lead as worst loser in recent F1 history ... Why do his fans like this guy so much ?

If there is 1 driver out there that I wish the worst possible season it's the little Spaniard ....

Alonso went to the right team - they are both arrogant cheaters in my book ... they deserve each other !

Gawd I hope Massa beats him well in 2011 !

Go Michael :up: Your the best ( driver- sportsman - philantropist ) that F1 has ever seen ....

Edited by 7timesbetterthantherest, 09 March 2011 - 16:09.

#7106 keeppushingurep1

keeppushingurep1

• 185 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 16:07

Shame that he couldn't finish the race, that was one of the best perfomances on wet ever. Renault and his wheel nuts :drunk:

absolutely yes

mindblowing!!!!!!!!!

#7107 keeppushingurep1

keeppushingurep1

• 185 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 16:08

absolutely yes

mindblowing!!!!!!!!!

we are talking about this!

#7108 cpaqf1

cpaqf1

• 136 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 16:10

Vettel has said today that Alonso did not congradulate him in Abu-Dabi after the race when the german won the title ... :down:

But they shook hands at the awards ceremony that took place in Monte Carlo recently.... but Fernando still did not congradulate him !

Alonso takes the lead as worst loser in recent F1 history ... Why do his fans like this guy so much ?

If there is 1 driver out there that I wish the worst possible season it's the little Spaniard ....

Alonso went to the right team - they are both arrogant cheaters in my book ... they deserve each other !

Go Michael :up: Your the best ( driver- sportsman - philantropist ) that F1 has ever seen ....

check your facts click

and thats from November !

#7109 7timesbetterthantherest

7timesbetterthantherest

• 192 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 16:12

check your facts click

and thats from November !

No it's from today : march 9 , 2011

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/42649.html

#7110 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 16:51

I assume Vettel bowed and congratulated Alonso after his glorious Korean Win right?

#7111 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 18:57

Alonso GRANDE :up: :clap:

#7112 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 19:55

Well for starters , there was Jean Todt at the helm .... As soon as he left , Ferrari changed for the worst .

They had Ross and Rory ... oh , and Michael was there pumping out the wins every sunday afternoon ....

Never liked them back then, love them right now! So much changed (for the good). Winning is not everything.

#7113 7timesbetterthantherest

7timesbetterthantherest

• 192 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 19:58

Never liked them back then, love them right now! So much changed (for the good). Winning is not everything.

really ? go ask Massa that !

#7114 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 20:06

Winning is not everything.

Its everything to an F1 driver though.

#7115 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,021 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 20:45

Interestingly, Horner is on record telling the BBC just after the Abu Dahbi race that Alonso had been the first one to go to their garage and congratulate them, even before Domenicalli and Whitmarsh did so. Unfortunately it seems that Vettel was not around at that time. I suppose that you are not interested in that bit of information, since it gives no opportunity for an Alonso bashing?

Alonso also went to the McLaren garage in 2008 to congratulate Hamilton - again, I am sure you are not that interested in this. But for those who are:
http://www.gamespot....sporting-alonso
"Given the previous difficulties between Alonso and McLaren, Hamilton said the double champion's personal congratulations meant a great deal to him.
"It was great to see him in the garage," Lewis was quoted as saying by Reuters.
"He came over as I saw my team, I turned round and he was there, just to wish me congratulations.
"Then he said congratulations to the rest of the team."
"I had a huge amount of respect for him already, but it took a big man to come and do that so I was very thankful to him."

But I fully understand your interest in presenting Alonso as a bad sportsman - it gives you an excuse to try to have others forget Schumacher's own little antics! :p May I remind you that your "best sportsman ever in F1" was DSQ from the WDC by FIA in 1997 for unsportsmanlike conduct?

Edited by Fontainebleau, 09 March 2011 - 20:51.

#7116 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:01

I always remember Alonso was the first to congratulate Vettel on his first win as well.

#7117 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:10

I always remember Alonso was the first to congratulate Vettel on his first win as well.

Posted Image

You're right :)

#7118 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:17

So much changed (for the good). Winning is not everything.

:up:
Ferrari has now a new & good teamleader.....give them some years..... :yawnface:

#7119 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:21

Well for starters , there was Jean Todt at the helm .... As soon as he left , Ferrari changed for the worst .

They had Ross and Rory ... oh , and Michael was there pumping out the wins every sunday afternoon ....

Sure he was

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Advertisement

#7120 P123

P123

• 8,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:33

Posted Image

You're right :)

Oh yeah, that's conclusive proof.  ;)

#7121 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:38

Oh yeah, that's conclusive proof. ;)

A picture is worth than 1000 words :p

#7122 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,232 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 23:51

Please cut the trolling, and report posts which you consider break the rules of the forum. Also, there is no need to announce that you are adding someone to your ignore list - it is simply important that you do so rather than attack them.

#7123 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,779 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:00

Nah, I'll never put 7timesbetterthanwhatever on my ignore list, she's (he's?) pure Comedy Club and I need a good laugh every now and again.

Now - on to Fernando Alonso's deeds. As the thread title says. :kiss:

Edited by Suntrek, 10 March 2011 - 03:06.

#7124 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:37

:clap: :clap: :clap: :up: Alonso is gonna drive tomorrow. 1.20 anyone?

#7125 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:41

:up: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hope he will have a good day and no rain, because saturday is very possible raining!

#7126 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:46

:up: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hope he will have a good day and no rain, because saturday is very possible raining!

http://www.aemet.es/.../montmelo-08402

Saturday: Yellow Alert (Rain). Shame. :confused:

#7127 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 17:11

If there is someone who can beat Red Bull is Alonso in a Ferrari, he clearly doesn't like drinking Red Bull.
Hoping for a sunny day tomorrow. :cool:

#7128 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,467 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 17:18

Let's hope he have one dry day at least.

#7129 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 17:21

If there is someone who can beat Red Bull is Alonso in a Ferrari, he clearly doesn't like drinking Red Bull.
Hoping for a sunny day tomorrow. :cool:

* puts on Silvio dante voice* "Our true pace, has yet to reveal itself" :smoking:

#7130 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 20:37

I'm sorry to break it to you and, I know, it's just testing but if IIRC Felipe has the top Ferrari times for the other tests so far.

Edited by cardin, 10 March 2011 - 22:48.

#7131 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,295 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 20:39

Winning is not everything.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#7132 kurski

kurski

• 262 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:31

Fernando Alonso: 10 Years After the Debut of a Legend

On the 4th of March 2001, Fernando Alonso Díaz (Oviedo, 1981) lined up for the first time on the grid to start a Grand Prix on board a Minardi in Australia. Ten years later, he's turned into a symbol of sport in Spain which, until his explosion onto the F1 scene, was a country that had never gotten a victory in Formula 1. It was a sport with only 300,000 followers, as opposed to the 6 million who watch it today, a figure only bested by football. Fernando remembers the path he has taken thus far and tells of his worries in an exclusive interview with MARCA.

What do you remember of that grand prix on the 4th March in Australia? Do you ever think back about how you were and about the conditions in which you arrived to Formual 1 in that Minardi?
Well, I don't look back much. The truth is I don't reminisce about it at all. I have memories of it now that you have asked me about it because I can remember that day very well, but I don't think about it all the time...

Do you recall how your debut went?
Man, it was a great feeling, I felt very happy, very priviliged to be able to be there because the first race is always exciting. I was in Australia for the whole week before just wishing that the Sunday would come around soon because on Monday I would be able to say that I had taken part in a Grand Prix of Formula 1, so in that way it was a great feeling.

Is it true that you didn't know the faces of many drivers and that Barrichello appeared....physically a bit small?
No, I didn't say that of anyone but yes, I didn't really know them. I had always been in karting, then later, in Formula Nissan that was always in Spain and Formula 1 wasn't shown on the TV. I only could have known some of them from when I was in F3000 whenever the races where on during the same weekend but you didn't see them in the paddock because it wasn't the same, so I knew very little of anyone.

Did you feel very small?
Yes....maybe not small, but I definitely felt strange. The biggest difference between Formula 1 and the other categories is the media attention, all the things you have to do with events and sponsors, all the photos of you with your helmet on and with it off, the photos with all the drivers on the grid as if we were a fooball team...all that doesn't happen in other categories, so in all the days before the race, I had an accumulation of things that made me feel not small but very strange and stressed.

Do you think that Minardi was a disaster or do you think back on it with fondness?
I don't think it was so bad, least of all the chassis. The engine was a disaster yes, because it was a Cosworth that was a little out of touch because it had been used in the years before and it wasn't at a very good standard, but the car, for my debut, was phenomenal: it braked much more than any car that I had driven before, accelerated much more, I drove it much more and to me it seemed great during that season.

Of all the the F1 cars that you have driven in 10 seasons, the most exciting were those with the powerful V10 engines, right?
I think so, the years 2004 or 2005 were different, because the car was more powerful, there was the tyre war between Bridgestone and Michelin, tyres that made us go a couple of seconds faster and engines that had 900 horse power. Even with the poorer aerodynamics that we had 6 years ago compared to what we have now, in Cheste we used to run at 1.08 instead of 1.14 like we do now, that's 6 seconds faster. Those cars will be difficult to equal.

Some day will you tell the real story of why you turned Ferrari down in 2001?
Well, it's just that I never signed up for them. I had the opportunity to drive for Prost who had Ferrari engines but that's like if someone now had the opportunity to drive for Sauber or Toro Rosso, they have nothing to do with Ferrari. Prost only had Ferrari engines and the offer was to go there and then, later there may be a possibility to become a Ferrari test driver or else I would have to return to F3000. Nothing was certain, while with Renault...well, they offered me a possibility with a better perspective, staying at Minardi for one year but later joining Renault officially and spending a maximum of one year as their test driver before finally being able to become their race driver.

As it turned out, you were right to turn them down, time has shown that.
Well, I won two championships with Renault and I won't complain, I came out of that situation well.

Ten years later are you still loving this sport or has time taken away all the love?
Yes, yes. You understand it better too, you know that it's not just cars racing, that Formula 1 is also a business with many interests. You have to love it for all the good things and the bad things it has.

Have you changed your point of view about some of the issues that before you couldn't put up with?
Yes, of course. You end up seeing that it's not a competition pure and simple, that the cars aren't the same, that the rules aren't the same for everyone all the time. You know, you have to accept it this way because maybe it's a part of the charm of Formula 1, because otherwise it would be like GP2 and GP2 doesn't have the level of interest that Formula 1 has.

I don't know if you know this: in 75% of the races that you have taken part in, you either finish or retire at the same position where you started or even higher up. Only Schumacher has a similar percentage in this decade. What do you say to that?
[Laughs] Nothing...I don't interpret that in any particular way, only that I have always been lucky to have very good cars in my career. Of the worse cars that I've had, the worst was the R29 of 2009 and with that I got a podium in Singapore. There are some who are in worse cars now that would like a car that would let them get a podium, such as those in Sauber or Force India or those teams. So I've been lucky.

But isn't a champion defined as always being able to outperform his car?
I don't know...[long pause]. I think it's difficult to evaluate the results of a car or a driver. You do your job and you are as professional as possible in order to help your team. Nothing more. You always try to just give the maximum you can.

Look how modest you are. Have you never surprised yourself?
[i]Well...[large pause]

Have you never said to yourself, "man, how good am I?!"
The way it is, if you surprise yourself it's always in a negative way. When you do good things, everything's going well and then, sometimes if you go off the track or hit a curb, you half spin and a car passes you, when the race finishes you tell yourself that this can't happen again because it's a mistake that you just can't have happening.

Have you ever felt at some time in inferior conditions to a rival or a team-mate? Have you thought "he's better than me"?
No. You know that often it's impossible to fight with many teams, like was the case of 2003, 2004, 2008 or 2009, where Ferrari or McLaren clearly dominated and I was in Renault or Minardi and you have to fight for sixths, sevenths or maybe occassionally you get a podium. You resign yourself a little to the fact that it's impossible to fight one on one with them because they are going too fast.

Have you ever had inferior treatment?
Sure, in the year at McLaren in 2007, I felt a little out of the team in that, I didn't share in practically anything of what they did.

Do you regret anything that you've said in all this time?
No. Everything I say is thought out and I say what I know and I tell the truth. If the truth bothers some people sometimes, it's not a problem of mine.

Is a person measured by the number of enemies he has or the number of friends?
Look, I'm not worried about whether or not I retire from this sport with more friends than enemies, I'm not in Formula 1 to make friends, only to win lots of titles. Because that would show that I achieved what I had signed up for. In any case, yes I believe that you value people by the love that they show or the friends that they have, like you see has happened now with the accident of Kubica. There has been a unanimous response from all over the paddock, all teams, all the drivers, because he's a different driver, with his character and all that, but he's generally liked. When something like this happens, it demonstrates all the friends that you have or all the love that you have and that is nice.

In 2006, you said that you couldn't see yourself being 37 and still racing and all of a sudden, almost overnight, you say you want to spend another decade travelling the world. What happened to change your mind?
Well, yes, I think that some times you think that you've had enough, you also want to live something of the life you've lost (whie racing) and I hadn't thought that I could enjoy it so much until I started driving for Ferrari. Now I see things differently, I have more patience. Being in Ferrari has been a nice surprise, it's much better than what I expected and what I expected was a teamof legend, of magic, but it's much more than what you see from the outside. Because of that, now I'm in no hurry to walk away, here I enjoy finishing second, eighth or twenty third, I enjoy just being a Ferrari driver.

Now with the new rules, you could be able to overtake easier, you've always been one to try a risky manoevre, even at Minardi. Now that it may be easier with the wing and KERS, does this bother you?
No, I don't think it bothers me. It's certain that there'll be more opportunities and everyone's going to make the most of it, those that have more facilities to improve will have more of an extra advantage and those that have more difficulties well, now have some possibilities, but there still be differences between those who can overtake better or worse.

Senna said one time: "Every year, there is a champion, but there is not always a great champion." You share this view?
Sure, that's certain. Someone always has to win, but later, if you ask someone to name previous champions in the history of F1, they can tell you 10 names, but no more, because they are those who have done something extraordinary. And those names are always those of Lauda, Fangio, Prost, Senna and all these people. There were many more champions, it's just that some are forgotten.

You didn't include yourself in the list.
When I retire, we'll see if I have won enough to be remembered. And if not, well, I will retire just as happy and proud of the experience I have lived in this sport.

#7133 as65p

as65p

• 17,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:45

I'm sorry to break it to you and, I know, it's just testing but if IIRC Felipe has the top Ferrari times for the other tests so far.

Another 2 weeks left to dream.... :drunk:

#7134 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:30

This could be Felipe's year as patterns go with his performance. I'm sure most would relish a good teammate battle at Ferrari that pushes Alonso back to his best.

#7135 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:38

This could be Felipe's year as patterns go with his performance. I'm sure most would relish a good teammate battle at Ferrari that pushes Alonso back to his best.

I would also welcome a teammate battle at Ferrari but I'm afraid it wouldn't bring the best out of little nando. It would be fun to watch though.

#7136 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 16:16

Its painfully flawed opinion and any reasonable person not out to just bash a driver would of taken the time to look at it before jumping to the opinion "he's a bad man and I don't like him so it must of been on purpose". Also they would retract the opinion when its clearly wrong. There is no lack of stuff to bash Alonso about these days, no need to make stuff up.

If Alonso did it on purpose why did he push Hamilton onto the run off area where he could get better traction and leave himself half on the curb/"grass" with less traction...too much run off to expect Hamilton to end up in the wall.
If he did it on purpose Hamilton in the same car would need to put in nearly as much steering angle to avoid him... Guess what? Alonso looked to be putting in at least 110 degrees of counter clockwise angle from the horizontal (clearly turning left) to end up on the curb and from other videos Hamilton used about 5-10 degrees (he was still clearly turning right) to get much wider and on the run off area.

If anything happened and the stewards got involved the telemetry would pin it to a racing incident.

Good thing then that Lewis' was quick enough to react and avoid an accident due to Alonso's mistake, yeah?

Seriously though, I don't believe Alonso suddenly lost control of the rear to the extent that he had to sweep wide more than half the width of the track and almost take out the driver beside him. I think Alonso knew perfectly well what he was doing, and that was intimidating his competitor, and in my opinion it was a fantastic move. It worked, that's racing, it was hard but fair and in that battle Alonso came out on top. You understand that I'm not bashing Alonso, yeah?

#7137 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,467 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:15

Another great interview, in spanish.Interview.

-He played with Scalextric when he was little, but not too much.
-Ferrari better than expected. People is very sweet, attention to detail, feels like a family. People talk to each other instead of the usual e-mail exchange from other teams...
-Praises Trulli.
-He think McLaren is in better form than people think.
-He owns this Ferrari cars: Enzo, 458 Italia and California.
-Ferrari tried to convince him to not buy a white Ferrari.

More stuff in the link.

#7138 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:47

People talk to each other instead of the usual e-mail exchange from other teams...

:lol:

#7139 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:02

Why would anyone wanna buy a white Ferrari?

Advertisement

#7140 as65p

as65p

• 17,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:18

I would also welcome a teammate battle at Ferrari but I'm afraid it wouldn't bring the best out of little nando. It would be fun to watch though.

Well, I found Massa spending half a year last season being slower but desperately trying to get in the way of his faster teammate until the team had to put stop to it, that had it's funny moments already. Especially the Massa/Stepney (ups... :blush: Smedley, of course) combo is always good for a laugh or two... :)

Edited by as65p, 14 March 2011 - 08:48.

#7141 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:28

Ferrari didn't convinced him. He bought this white Ferrari! :cat:

Edited by puxanando, 14 March 2011 - 08:29.

#7142 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:29

Sometimes they just look better...

Btw, I've read it many times, and in this interview they mention it yet again, does he like to pilot a plane in his free time?

#7143 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:30

Maybe Fred's a Miami Vice fan? Here's a picture of him & Lewis with Fred's new white ferrari.

Posted Image

#7144 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:35

Would a Ferrari honestly be anybodies first choice if they had a spare 150+k?

#7145 as65p

as65p

• 17,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:51

That's an easy enough to answer question. Have a look at the sales figures... :)

For the record, I'd never buy a "show-off" supercar, even with all the money in the world. Instead I'd spend a lot of cash making an innocent looking family saloon outperform most of them... :D

#7146 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:51

It's the only true sports car for me, a very, very distant second is a Lamborghini. The tin that Mclaren produce would be last thing on my list.

No offence, but the brits can't build sports cars.

#7147 as65p

as65p

• 17,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:55

Maybe Fred's a Miami Vice fan? Here's a picture of him & Lewis with Fred's new white ferrari.

Posted Image

:lol: :up:

Currently, one TV show I watch regularily is followed in the programm by a rerun of Miami Vice. It's totally embarassing, unbelievable how it ever became such a success...

#7148 tamburello1

tamburello1

• 65 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:57

£150,000 for a Ferrari is a bargain when you consider the alternative. It should just about cover Ron Dennis's taxi fares for the next six months.

#7149 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,467 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:58

I really don't know, maybe because he is a Real Madrid fan, Real Madrid colour is white, but I don't know if Fernando would go to that extreme for a soccer team.

#7150 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:01

No, they all would buy the MP4-12 instead :lol: