Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#7151 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:01

Posted ImagePosted Image

;) :up: Alonso had a lot of fun with Rossi at the WROOM event this year.
spanish

Advertisement

#7152 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:03

Posted Image
Posted Image

:up: I like the car but I prefer a RED Ferrari :love:

#7153 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,459 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:08

No, they all would buy the MP4-12 instead :lol:

I wouldn't buy either just before you assume some kind of McLaren Vs Ferrari fan slanging match. :D

I can't speak for buyers who have a purely aethetical viewpoint when buying a car however as Ferrari make beautiful cars. In terms of performance the MP4-12 is ahead in those stakes, but as I say it all depends on the criteria you have.

#7154 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,459 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:11

£150,000 for a Ferrari is a bargain when you consider the alternative. It should just about cover Ron Dennis's taxi fares for the next six months.

I doubt Ron would want to carry a fire extinguisher aswell as his briefcase on his daily jaunt to work though. How is your obsession with Ron coming along?

#7155 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:47

El Pais Alonso´s interview
Posted Image

#7156 tamburello1

tamburello1

• 65 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:51

How is your obsession with Ron coming along?

Very well. I followed him to the bus stop this morning. Stalking somebody is so much easier when they cannot drive.

#7157 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,356 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:53

[quote name='albertini' date='Mar 14 2011, 10:47' post='4893903']
El Pais Alonso´s interview

Already posted in the previous page :up: , nice pic.

#7158 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,459 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:56

Very well. I followed him to the bus stop this morning. Stalking somebody is so much easier when they cannot drive.

Sweet.
No doubt you were reading this too which makes it doubly scary:
http://www.amazon.co...a...6481&sr=1-1

#7159 tamburello1

tamburello1

• 65 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:04

Don't worry, I wouldn't execute him in cold blood because I thought a book told me to.

But i might try it if it meant Jodie Foster would fancy me.

Advertisement

#7160 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,015 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:00

I was of the same opinion until I saw a yellow one!

In any case, I agree that white is not the colour.  ;)

#7161 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:21

Great interview, by the way.

#7162 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,459 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:26

No offence, but the brits can't build sports cars.

Really? I am actually quite offended by that remark. :rolleyes:
I only need to name a few: Lotus, Aston Martin, TVR, Noble, Ascari, McLaren, Morgan, Caterham, Trumph, Ariel, Jaguar, MG, AC, Jensen... I could fill the page and building sports cars is something the Brits have always been very good at. I doubt over half the grid would consist of British engineers if building race cars was something the country is not known for. Alot of our sports car industry has gone but thats based on companies being forced to sell to foreign investors and chasing cheaper manufacturing costs overseas. The skill is not an issue and sure we haven't got as many prestige brands like the Ferrari's and Mercedes of this world but we do know how to build a sports car.

the MP4-12 is hardly a tin can either. Its not the most amazing in terms of aethetics but its faster than the entire Ferrari range and has recieved good reviews by anyone who has driven it. If you want to be looked at as you drive around with your wayfarers on around town then the Ferrari is for you, but if you want a fast car that can be taken on a track and taken in the context of a true sports car then you won't go far wrong with the McLaren. The Brits can't build sports cars lol ffs... If every thought like that we'd have people still claiming the Italians can't build reliable cars that don't rust!.. :D

#7163 metz

metz

• 9,685 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:32

No offence, but the brits can't build sports cars.

There is an old joke that asks;
"What is the difference beteen a Jehova's witness and a car built in England?"
Answer; "You can close the door on a Jehova's witness."

I believe this to be true.
As a result, the brits have become the BEST at building cars that have no doors... ;)

#7164 Outsider

Outsider

• 495 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:44

Posted Image
Posted Image

this is so gorgeous car!

#7165 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 13:04

Funny that Ferrari feel so strongly that white is a bad colour for a Ferrari - but not so strongly that they don't build and sell one!

#7166 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 13:16

Would a Ferrari honestly be anybodies first choice if they had a spare 150+k?

Is that a serious question? Maybe it's not to your taste, but you speak as if the world's most famous marque is some second rate russian truck company.

#7167 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 306 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 13:20

-He owns this Ferrari cars: Enzo, 458 Italia and California.

Anyone got background infos on that one? I thought that he only owns a white 458, black California and a Maserati Gran Turismo S.

Hm, is this a new Enzo or is he the second/third/etc. owner of it, IIRC Ferrari only build 350 Enzos.

#7168 GPmaster

GPmaster

• 455 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 13:41

Would a Ferrari honestly be anybodies first choice if they had a spare 150+k?

Yes i do! :clap: Ferrari is emotion, McLaren and Aston Martin are dull.

Edited by GPmaster, 14 March 2011 - 13:42.

#7169 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,459 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 13:43

Is that a serious question? Maybe it's not to your taste, but you speak as if the world's most famous marque is some second rate russian truck company.

Hardly.
I give enough credit through my other posts and maybe you'd not got that far when you wrote this.

#7170 HPT

HPT

• 1,151 posts

+1

#7171 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,585 posts

White is by far the best colour for a high performance car I think. It's not a fancy "look at me" eye catching colour yet it shows every detail of bodywork clearly and when its clean it looks so perfectly pure.

Alonso has great taste :up: although I would of asked for matt white.

Edited by MichaelPM, 14 March 2011 - 13:45.

#7172 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,174 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 13:46

...and we're back to Alonso. Lets keep the thread there please.

#7173 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,459 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 14:03

Alonso has great taste :up:

With his choices being a Ferrari, a Ferrari and a Ferrari I don't think he went far wrong. :p :)

#7174 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 14:36

Q. What aspects of your driving style have had to change with the switch between Bridgestone tires to Pirelli?

A. With Pirelli's tyre we can not brake so strong. Before, I arrived to the end of the straight and pushed the brakes with all my strength. Now, if you do that, it is highly probable you lock the rear tires, as you use the handbrake. It is more complicated. You must dose a little bit more the applied force. The traction worsened quite, too. Before, when I went out of a turn and I stepped the accelerator, I did it in an aggressive way, but this year I must to be moderate with that pedal. I only step at maximum from third or fourth gear. You must be more sensible.

#7175 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 14:47

Q. What aspects of your driving style have had to change with the switch between Bridgestone tires to Pirelli?

A. With Pirelli's tyre we can not brake so strong. Before, I arrived to the end of the straight and pushed the brakes with all my strength. Now, if you do that, it is highly probable you lock the rear tires, as you use the handbrake. It is more complicated. You must dose a little bit more the applied force. The traction worsened quite, too. Before, when I went out of a turn and I stepped the accelerator, I did it in an aggressive way, but this year I must to be moderate with that pedal. I only step at maximum from third or fourth gear. You must be more sensible.

If that's the case you'd expect the best drivers to benefit from the change - of which FA is obviously one.

#7176 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,107 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 14:51

If that's the case you'd expect the best drivers to benefit from the change

The best drivers are the guys who take the car from A to B faster, not the ones driving smooth. I´d love F1 go back to that route soon, I want drivers having the chance to give it full bananas 100% race distance.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 14 March 2011 - 14:52.

#7177 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 15:05

The best drivers are the guys who take the car from A to B faster, not the ones driving smooth. I´d love F1 go back to that route soon, I want drivers having the chance to give it full bananas 100% race distance.

I think you misunderstand.
If braking is just a matter of stomping on the pedal, and accelerating of putting your foot to the floor* then there's less to differentiate between the best and the merely very good. 'Giving it full bananas' to me shouldn't mean you don't have to feed in the throttle, or brake on the limits of traction. It's not down to smoothness.

*gross over-simplification.

Edited by trogggy, 14 March 2011 - 15:05.

#7178 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,107 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 15:16

I think you misunderstand.
If braking is just a matter of stomping on the pedal, and accelerating of putting your foot to the floor* then there's less to differentiate between the best and the merely very good. 'Giving it full bananas' to me shouldn't mean you don't have to feed in the throttle, or brake on the limits of traction. It's not down to smoothness.

*gross over-simplification.

If you meant that, agreed.

I was talking about having the chance to use all the speed of the car all the time (no matter if for that you have to be smooth or not), and not having to cruise to protect tyres.

#7179 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 16:16

This would be better in the Pirelli thread, but how can tyres that allow you to just stand on the pedals be better for separating drivers? Surely the drivers with the most finesse and feel should prosper? Also the driver with the most adaptable style. Alonso. Hey presto - back on topic!

Advertisement

#7180 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,585 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 18:21

With his choices being a Ferrari, a Ferrari and a Ferrari I don't think he went far wrong. :p :)

Yea bit of a limiting choice. Shall I buy a Ferrari or a Fiat, maybe he could exploit a loophole and get a certain Ford truck :lol:

#7181 DoodoolTalla

DoodoolTalla

• 203 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 21:47

Anyone got background infos on that one? I thought that he only owns a white 458, black California and a Maserati Gran Turismo S.

Hm, is this a new Enzo or is he the second/third/etc. owner of it, IIRC Ferrari only build 350 Enzos.

they probably toke away kimi's and gave it to him :lol:

#7182 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 21:52

This will be a fun thread to revisit in about half a dozen races. The faith(and the word is not used lightly) you have in little nando is borderline fanatical.

Why? What if Alonso does a good/great job? Will you give him credit then?

It isn't like if Alonso was a average driver who can't adapt his driving style to the tyres or to the car and give excuses such as "tyres don't suit me" or "the car doesn't suit me" as other drivers did in the past.

Some (bitter) people are desperate to see Alonso fail just to feel better. I must say that it is just pathetic :lol:

#7183 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,107 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 22:06

It isn't like if Alonso was a average driver

No, hell.

who can't adapt his driving style to the tyres or to the car and give excuses such as "tyres don't suit me" or "the car doesn't suit me" as other drivers did in the past.

Sooner or later that happens to every driver who stays long enough around, as far as I remember, in 2004 he was all the way "giving excuses" -as you call it- about the car handling badly. :wave:

Edited by Skinnyguy, 14 March 2011 - 22:06.

#7184 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 22:19

Sooner or later that happens to every driver who stays long enough around, as far as I remember, in 2004 he was all the way "giving excuses" -as you call it- about the car handling badly. :wave:

Which was true IMO, but do you have some link where he says it?

Anyway, 2004 was 7 years ago..What was he, 22?

#7185 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,107 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 22:42

Anyway, 2004 was 7 years ago..What was he, 22?

If you´re Spanish, no need to. He said it in almost every prerace interview for Spanish TV :rolleyes:

Alonso is a racing driver, EVERY driver gets cars which don´t suit him that good, and every driver tells about it when it happens. You were talking about that as if it was a sign of mediocrity. It isn´t.

#7186 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 22:54

Aha. So when Alonso complains about something, its true. But when other drivers complain, then its excuses. I see how that works now. Thanks :up:

#7187 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,015 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 23:09

Aha. So when Alonso complains about something, its true. But when other drivers complain, then its excuses. I see how that works now. Thanks :up:

And what is your opinion? That it is true in all cases, or that all of them are making out excuses?  ;)

Edited by Fontainebleau, 14 March 2011 - 23:10.

#7188 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 23:14

If you´re Spanish, no need to. He said it in almost every prerace interview for Spanish TV :rolleyes:

Alonso is a racing driver, EVERY driver gets cars which don´t suit him that good, and every driver tells about it when it happens. You were talking about that as if it was a sign of mediocrity. It isn´t.

Saying that "the car is very difficult to drive" isn't the same that "the car doesn't suit me", right?

You don't say "the car doesn't suit me", you make the car work for you as the great drivers do. It isn't a sign of mediocrity of course, but it isn't a sign of greatness either IMHO.

And I was just replying to the guy who said "This will be a fun thread to revisit in about half a dozen races" :rolleyes:

He seemed to imply that Alonso would do badly in the first races due to the Pirellis which is something I disagree with.

Edited by AlanWake, 14 March 2011 - 23:14.

#7189 Arska

Arska

• 729 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 23:40

And what is your opinion? That it is true in all cases, or that all of them are making out excuses? ;)

Perhaps his opinion, but certainly mine, is that it's ridiculous to make an exception when Alonso (or any other one driver) is "making excuses" and not apply the same standards to other drivers you don't really care about - or even further, to drivers you dislike. ;)

#7190 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 00:08

IMO, The difference is that a few drivers (can) adapt/change his driving style to extract the maximum potential out of ANY car -and type of tyres- he is given (Senna, Prost, Schumi in his prime, Alonso or Hamilton) while the rest of drivers need specific tyres AND a perfect car that can suit his driving style so he can be really competitive.

#7191 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,107 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 00:20

Saying that "the car is very difficult to drive" isn't the same that "the car doesn't suit me", right?

Yes, it´s the same if your team mate is enjoying the car.

You don't say "the car doesn't suit me", you make the car work for you as the great drivers do. It isn't a sign of mediocrity of course, but it isn't a sign of greatness either IMHO.

It would be nice if it went as simple as that. For me it isn´t. Anyway, I respect your opinion. But you´ll have to think the same for everyone around, or you get 0 credibility. 2004 Alonso was struggling badly and had all the right to express why without being called a crybaby, so does the rest of the grid.

And I was just replying to the guy who said "This will be a fun thread to revisit in about half a dozen races" :rolleyes:

Don´t lose your time with haters.

He seemed to imply that Alonso would do badly in the first races due to the Pirellis which is something I disagree with.

Me too. But having a confrontation with another guy isn´t a reason to bash drivers pointing out something as normal as a particular car not working good for them.

#7192 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:01

Why? What if Alonso does a good/great job? Will you give him credit then?

It isn't like if Alonso was a average driver who can't adapt his driving style to the tyres or to the car and give excuses such as "tyres don't suit me" or "the car doesn't suit me" as other drivers did in the past.

Some (bitter) people are desperate to see Alonso fail just to feel better. I must say that it is just pathetic :lol:

Of course I'll give him credit. Will you call him average if he can't adapt very well and start complaining about the tires(as he already started to do) ?
As I was saying it will be fun to revisit this thread in a few months.

#7193 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,515 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:37

Of course I'll give him credit. Will you call him average if he can't adapt very well and start complaining about the tires(as he already started to do) ?
As I was saying it will be fun to revisit this thread in a few months.

Well let me be the first to give YOU credit right now! You are certainly among the bravest people on this forum, and if you were an F1 pilot, I'm sure you'd take Eau Rouge FLAT! I say this because it takes guts to claim that Alonso won't adapt to his tires, and will in fact, complain about his inability to do so. The driver rated the best in the sport by his peers two years running. The 2-time WDC who has shown adaptability in changing from Michelins to Bridgestones...grooves to slicks...gone from Renault to McClaren back to Renault then to Ferrari, and claim multiple victories for each constructor and engine manufacturer during that shuffle. We have less than two weeks to find out who will be right, but we don't have to wait that long to credit you for your bravery. But in case your prediction is wide of the mark, I think you might be feasting on this:
Posted Image

Edited by PoleMan, 15 March 2011 - 02:43.

#7194 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:39

:rotfl:

#7195 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:11

White is by far the best colour for a high performance car I think. It's not a fancy "look at me" eye catching colour yet it shows every detail of bodywork clearly and when its clean it looks so perfectly pure.

Alonso has great taste :up: although I would of asked for matt white.

I'd take that 458 Italia in any colour!! It must be without a doubt one of the best looking cars ever with unbeatable handling.

Must admit I'd prefer Red but any colour would make me happy if I had a car like that!

Red yeah!Alonso is white, but then again Alonso already drives a red Ferrari by the name of Ferrari 150th Italia :love: Why not have different colur Ferrari's.

Must admit that for just one F1 season,I'd like to see Ferrari have the darkest black car that has ever been seen in F1! Just like they had a Blue Ferrari in F1 once in the 1960's driven by that Brittish Motocycle champ Surtees that become WDC.

Hey but white is the most "don't look at me" colour which suits Alonso well when he's not racing.Good for avoiding the vultures in the media trying to make up stories out of nothing,and he's got the power to get away from them in his 458 at lightning speed! :lol:

#7196 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,818 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:37

Didn't Henry Ford say: “You can buy any Ford as long as it's black.”

In the case of Ferrari it would be definitely be red. White cars look stunning and I must admit that I've seen some beautiful yellow and black Ferrari's but damn there is just something about a red car from Maranello. It's alluring...

Anyway, back to Alonso. He will adapt just fine to the Pirelli's. The guy is way to good to get bogged down by tyres.

#7197 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,047 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:22

I'm not an anyone fanatic, the evidence is there to see. FA has visibly adapted over the years and that is in contrast to some other drivers who are open about their reluctance to adapt and their preference to get the car working their way, rather than the other way round. Other drivers may have similar attributes, but they they either haven't been around long enough to show it or the team has always managed to make a car that doesn't need adaptation of style.

I have a lot of admiration for Hamilton also, but in his career so far he hasn't been required to adapt to so many different tyres - we'll see quite soon if he can. I don't doubt him, neither do I have blind faith - we'll see.

In the current situation, with new tyres to contend with, I'd bet on the guy that has the experience. Which is Alonso.

Of the main title-contending drivers, Alonso is the only one with direct recent experience of trying to win consecutive championships on different tyre marques. Just thought I'd point that out.

#7198 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:25

Of the main title-contending drivers, Alonso is the only one with direct recent experience of trying to win consecutive championships on different tyre marques. Just thought I'd point that out.

Nicely put in far fewer words than I managed!

#7199 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:40

Well let me be the first to give YOU credit right now! You are certainly among the bravest people on this forum, and if you were an F1 pilot, I'm sure you'd take Eau Rouge FLAT! I say this because it takes guts to claim that Alonso won't adapt to his tires, and will in fact, complain about his inability to do so. The driver rated the best in the sport by his peers two years running. The 2-time WDC who has shown adaptability in changing from Michelins to Bridgestones...grooves to slicks...gone from Renault to McClaren back to Renault then to Ferrari, and claim multiple victories for each constructor and engine manufacturer during that shuffle. We have less than two weeks to find out who will be right, but we don't have to wait that long to credit you for your bravery. But in case your prediction is wide of the mark, I think you might be feasting on this:
Posted Image

First of all thank you for your compliments on my bravery but I must humbly say it's unmerited. I'm not the one posting stuff like the folllowing:

This would be better in the Pirelli thread, but how can tyres that allow you to just stand on the pedals be better for separating drivers? Surely the drivers with the most finesse and feel should prosper? Also the driver with the most adaptable style. Alonso. Hey presto - back on topic!

Anyway, back to Alonso. He will adapt just fine to the Pirelli's. The guy is way to good to get bogged down by tyres.

he can. I don't doubt him, neither do I have blind faith - we'll see.

In the current situation, with new tyres to contend with, I'd bet on the guy that has the experience. Which is Alonso.

See, there are no doubts in their, and your, mind that he's going to be as fast as ever, he's not going to suffer one bit, because he's the great Alonso. Me, I'm just not that sure about what will happen and I'll not have a big problem admitting I was wrong. But If I were you, I would save some of that crow, you might need it.

Advertisement

#7200 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:47

What are you on about? Crowing? Are you saying that if anyone asserts that Alonso is the most experienced of the top-flight drivers they must only be doing so because they are über fans?

Either you can't or won't read what has been stated. I said I'd bet (as in balance of probabilities) on the guy with the best form in that particular department. Which is Fernando Alonso.