Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#7201 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,937 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:56

First of all thank you for your compliments on my bravery but I must humbly say it's unmerited. I'm not the one posting stuff like the folllowing:

See, there are no doubts in their, and your, mind that he's going to be as fast as ever, he's not going to suffer one bit, because he's the great Alonso. Me, I'm just not that sure about what will happen and I'll not have a big problem admitting I was wrong. But If I were you, I would save some of that crow, you might need it.

In the below quote you are quite sure that he will struggle...

This will be a fun thread to revisit in about half a dozen races. The faith(and the word is not used lightly) you have in little nando is borderline fanatical.

Now you change your tune to might.

Anyway, without starting an argument about nothing. History and the evidence from testing shows that there is little doubt about his adaptability.

Advertisement

#7202 Alondra

Alondra

• 131 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:01

Unfortunately Cardin, when you make posts like "Because I think he behaves a lot like a spoiled little boy raised by his granny" in an Alonso thread, you come out as a hater.

To call Alonso a spoiled little boy is to demonstrate a fundamental lack of knowledge, respect to him, and the family that supported him with great financial effort in the sport he loved. Alonso comes from a humbled background, what he has achieved today is thanks to his family to begin with and his hard work. There may be a couple of drivers where the "spoiled brats" may be applicable considering their background - Alonso is not one of them.

Edited by Alondra, 15 March 2011 - 12:03.

#7203 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,665 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:11

Unfortunately Cardin, when you make posts like "Because I think he behaves a lot like a spoiled little boy raised by his granny" in an Alonso thread, you come out as a hater.

To call Alonso a spoiled little boy is to demonstrate a fundamental lack of knowledge, respect to him, and the family that supported him with great financial effort in the sport he loved. Alonso comes from a humbled background, what he has achieved today is thanks to his family to begin with and his hard work. There may be a couple of drivers where the "spoiled brats" may be applicable considering their background - Alonso is not one of them.

I totally agree and people should respect the drivers in the threads designated for them. Alonso comes from a similar humble background to Lewis but we see the same arrogance directed in other threads as this one. people who have no clue shouldn't comment simple as that. :)

#7204 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 14:19

You know, the problem is that people tend to write without actually having any knowledge on the subject and say things just because they feel like it. They don't read, probably started following F1 last year and cannot distinguish the difference between a good driver and a mediocre one, same goes to a car. Life is driven by competition, at work and just about everywhere else. This competitive behavior is very typical of any F1 driver as it is of any other sportsman who has the desire and strength to win and if you haven't noticed watch F1 for a few more years.

#7205 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,665 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 14:22

You know, the problem is that people tend to write without actually having any knowledge on the subject and say things just because they feel like it. They don't read, probably started following F1 last year and cannot distinguish the difference between a good driver and a mediocre one, same goes to a car. Life is driven by competition, at work and just about everywhere else. This competitive behavior is very typical of any F1 driver as it is of any other sportsman who has the desire and strength to win and if you haven't noticed watch F1 for a few more years.

:up: :up:

#7206 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,166 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 14:23

Posts have been deleted.

Please keep to the topic, enough with the flame baiting, insults and personal attacks

#7207 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:42

IMO, The difference is that a few drivers (can) adapt/change his driving style to extract the maximum potential out of ANY car -and type of tyres- he is given (Senna, Prost, Schumi in his prime, Alonso or Hamilton) while the rest of drivers need specific tyres AND a perfect car that can suit his driving style so he can be really competitive.

It's not as clear cut as that. Everyone thought the same of Kimi Raikkonen at one point, could drive the wheels off anything and be brilliant.

Alonso will be fine. Although if he did struggle at some point with something, it wouldn't surprise me.

#7208 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,070 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:47

It's not as clear cut as that. Everyone thought the same of Kimi Raikkonen at one point, could drive the wheels off anything and be brilliant.

Alonso will be fine. Although if he did struggle at some point with something, it wouldn't surprise me.

If I remember correctly, he did have some problems with Bridgestone initially.

We'll see. I think that he has the advantage of having had to adapt from Michelin to Bridgestone and having had first hand experience of how important that was and which were the key issues he had to address. But Pirelli will be an entirely different animal.

#7209 revmeister

revmeister

• 213 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 13:32

One thing is certain, Alonso(and Massa) will have had more running on the Perelli's than anyone else on the grid. Alonso should have them pretty well sorted by now.

#7210 speng

speng

• 1,299 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 21:33

One thing is certain, Alonso(and Massa) will have had more running on the Perelli's than anyone else on the grid. Alonso should have them pretty well sorted by now.

so no excuses then

#7211 as65p

as65p

• 17,290 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 21:46

so no excuses then

Of course not.

Nor for anyone else, BTW.

:D

#7212 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 22:51

Of course I'll give him credit. Will you call him average if he can't adapt very well and start complaining about the tires(as he already started to do) ?
As I was saying it will be fun to revisit this thread in a few months.

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. So far, Alonso has never blamed a poor qualifying or race result on the tires. You are accusing Alonso of doing what other drivers do. You got the wrong driver, wrong thread, and wrong season  ;)

#7213 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,284 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 23:06

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. So far, Alonso has never blamed a poor qualifying or race result on the tires. You are accusing Alonso of doing what other drivers do. You got the wrong driver, wrong thread, and wrong season ;)

No, you´re the one getting it wrong. Everyone does that. In the mid part of 2005 (Monaco and Barcelona spring to mind), he was unhappy about how the tyres were ending the races. China and Japan 2007 qualifying he complained a lot about some sets of tyres. And I´m sure I forget about a lot of other times, in 2003 Renault always used softer rubber than other michelin teams and sometimes it ended very badly.

And don´t get me wrong: I´m saying EVERYONE does that.

#7214 as65p

as65p

• 17,290 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 23:35

No, you´re the one getting it wrong. Everyone does that. In the mid part of 2005 (Monaco and Barcelona spring to mind), he was unhappy about how the tyres were ending the races. China and Japan 2007 qualifying he complained a lot about some sets of tyres. And I´m sure I forget about a lot of other times, in 2003 Renault always used softer rubber than other michelin teams and sometimes it ended very badly.

And don´t get me wrong: I´m saying EVERYONE does that.

Yeah, THAT. Every driver is bound to have tyre troubles at specific events from time to time, and why shouldn't they talk about it?

That's something utterly normal, and completely different to some drivers blaming tyres (or other general car characteristics, for that matter) for their lack of performance over whole seasons, or for getting worse results than their teammates.

#7215 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,284 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 23:48

Yeah, THAT. Every driver is bound to have tyre troubles at specific events from time to time, and why shouldn't they talk about it?

That's something utterly normal, and completely different to some drivers blaming tyres (or other general car characteristics, for that matter) for their lack of performance over whole seasons, or for getting worse results than their teammates.

Both are completely normal for me, I think that you have right to tell what´s bothering you doesn´t matter how long it lasts. I don´t find different the full 2004 Alonso´s "this car is hard to drive" (while Trulli enjoyed it) to the mid 2005 "this tyres wear a lot". Alonso was right about telling that in both cases, that´s no excuses, it´s real, it´s a fact.

#7216 cpaqf1

cpaqf1

• 136 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 00:00

here's a quote from alonso in 2007 about having to adapt to bridgestone, it reminds me a bit of what he said about Pirelli

Q: (Panos Diamantis – Car and Driver) Of the four championship contenders you are the only one who had to change from Michelin to Bridgestone tyres. How much of a handicap do you think this was and can you please tell me did you have to change some things in your driving style to adapt to Bridgestone?

FA: First of all I think Kimi also switched from Michelin to Bridgestone this year. I think it was more in the winter. I think all the Michelin drivers from last year had to adapt a little bit to the new tyres. In terms of braking, which is probably the main difference, we all felt with the Bridgestone tyre more movement with the car under braking. So you need a little bit of control with that and maybe setup changes also with this braking issue. And also maybe the traction. With Michelin it seems always to be a benefit to put the car straight and go on power with the straight line traction and with Bridgestone it is not a big advantage to do that, so you need to carry your speed into the corners, in the middle of the corners. So after one week testing you are a little bit ready to use the Bridgestone but the more laps you do the better you understand them.

I wonder if switching from Michelin to Bridgestone is harder then Bridgestone to Pirelli.

Edited by cpaqf1, 17 March 2011 - 00:01.

#7217 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:35

here's a quote from alonso in 2007 about having to adapt to bridgestone, it reminds me a bit of what he said about Pirelli

Q: (Panos Diamantis – Car and Driver) Of the four championship contenders you are the only one who had to change from Michelin to Bridgestone tyres. How much of a handicap do you think this was and can you please tell me did you have to change some things in your driving style to adapt to Bridgestone?

FA: First of all I think Kimi also switched from Michelin to Bridgestone this year. I think it was more in the winter. I think all the Michelin drivers from last year had to adapt a little bit to the new tyres. In terms of braking, which is probably the main difference, we all felt with the Bridgestone tyre more movement with the car under braking. So you need a little bit of control with that and maybe setup changes also with this braking issue. And also maybe the traction. With Michelin it seems always to be a benefit to put the car straight and go on power with the straight line traction and with Bridgestone it is not a big advantage to do that, so you need to carry your speed into the corners, in the middle of the corners. So after one week testing you are a little bit ready to use the Bridgestone but the more laps you do the better you understand them.

I wonder if switching from Michelin to Bridgestone is harder then Bridgestone to Pirelli.

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention to other drivers but I have never seen any of the current drivers say anything so specific in regards to tire behavior. I've seen a lot of the fronts being strong or weak, trouble with heating up tires, etc. but not like this. Feel free to correct me if anyone has seen some other drivers do this.

#7218 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:42

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention to other drivers but I have never seen any of the current drivers say anything so specific in regards to tire behavior. I've seen a lot of the fronts being strong or weak, trouble with heating up tires, etc. but not like this. Feel free to correct me if anyone has seen some other drivers do this.

No, but there must be a reason it was said by a driver who won races on three different manufacturers with Bridgestone tires.

Edited by fabr68, 17 March 2011 - 01:42.

#7219 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:26

Both are completely normal for me, I think that you have right to tell what´s bothering you doesn´t matter how long it lasts. I don´t find different the full 2004 Alonso´s "this car is hard to drive" (while Trulli enjoyed it) to the mid 2005 "this tyres wear a lot". Alonso was right about telling that in both cases, that´s no excuses, it´s real, it´s a fact.

Maybe I havent understood you well, but are you saying that if a driver has graining during qualifying in Turkey this year and he states it, then he would have spent mid 2011 complaining about the tyres?

Also, do you realise the tyres wore in Monaco because of the high fuel, dont you? If someone decides to do a 50 lap stint this year, and stated that his tyres were obviously wore off in the end, has he spent mid 2011 complaining about tyres too? :drunk:

Edited by prty, 17 March 2011 - 07:33.

Advertisement

#7220 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:25

Maybe I havent understood you well, but are you saying that if a driver has graining during qualifying in Turkey this year and he states it, then he would have spent mid 2011 complaining about the tyres?
Also, do you realise the tyres wore in Monaco because of the high fuel, dont you? If someone decides to do a 50 lap stint this year, and stated that his tyres were obviously wore off in the end, has he spent mid 2011 complaining about tyres too? :drunk:

No, hell. You need... at least three events to say something like that. And back then it was the case

About the other part, Alonso´s compliants were reasonable despite strategie: that´s what Michelin primes were made for!!

On full tanks, the Renault drivers found they could not preserve their Michelin tyres, even though Alonso was running the harder ‘prime’ tyre (Raikkonen’s MP4-20 was shod with the softer ‘option’ compound).

http://www.f1fanatic...ix-2005-review/

They should have coped with that, or at least Renault expected them to do so. And without a 50 lap stint, they failed to end in good shape in other races about the same time like Spain.

#7221 as65p

as65p

• 17,290 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:34

No, hell. You need... at least three events to say something like that. And back then it was the case

About the other part, Alonso´s compliants were reasonable despite strategie: that´s what Michelin primes were made for!!

On full tanks, the Renault drivers found they could not preserve their Michelin tyres, even though Alonso was running the harder ‘prime’ tyre (Raikkonen’s MP4-20 was shod with the softer ‘option’ compound).

http://www.f1fanatic...ix-2005-review/

They should have coped with that, or at least Renault expected them to do so. And without a 50 lap stint, they failed to end in good shape in other races about the same time like Spain.

You divert further away from the original point, which is when and how often Alonso complains about tyres. Not the team, not general reviews stating that Renault used it's tyres sub-optimal at specific races.

The point that Alonso complains very rarely, if ever, about the tyres in the sense that he would blame them for lack of performance/results still stands.

#7222 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,738 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:41

The point that Alonso complains very rarely, if ever, about the tyres in the sense that he would blame them for lack of performance/results still stands.

Nope, just EVERYTHING else ;)

#7223 as65p

as65p

• 17,290 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:43

Nope, just EVERYTHING else ;)

Mclaren management isn't EVERYTHING, as even a fan should recognize...  ;)

#7224 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,738 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:46

Mclaren Ferrari Renault management isn't EVERYTHING, as even a fan should recognize... ;)

Which??;)

#7225 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:00

You divert further away from the original point, which is when and how often Alonso complains about tyres. Not the team, not general reviews stating that Renault used it's tyres sub-optimal at specific races.

NO, that copy and paste are not the compliants!! This is to show how the compliants were right!! You are the one drifting away.

#7226 as65p

as65p

• 17,290 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 13:15

NO, that copy and paste are not the compliants!! This is to show how the compliants were right!! You are the one drifting away.

You still don't get it.

a) Tyres on a particular car in a particular event drop several seconds a lap [more than the opposition], for both drivers of the team. Both drivers allude to that afterwards.

b) Driver is regularily slower than his teammate over the whole season and repeatedly mentions that the tyres don't suit his style.

If you don't see the difference between a) and b) I can't help it further.

#7227 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 13:37

You still don't get it.

a) Tyres on a particular car in a particular event drop several seconds a lap [more than the opposition], for both drivers of the team. Both drivers allude to that afterwards.

b) Driver is regularily slower than his teammate over the whole season and repeatedly mentions that the tyres don't suit his style.

If you don't see the difference between a) and b) I can't help it further.

A) Monaco/Spain 2005
B) 2004 season, change "tyres" for "car".

So if you think A is OK and B is "excuses", you´ll agree Alonso does that too, as anyone else around. I don´t think it´s excuses, it´s a real problem.

#7228 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,396 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 13:42

So you´re saying Alonso was "regularily slower than his teammate over the whole season" in 2004? :lol:

#7229 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 13:44

So you´re saying Alonso was "regularily slower than his teammate over the whole season" in 2004? :lol:

No, he was slighly slower than a guy naturally slower than him. A bit like Räikkönen Massa 2008.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 17 March 2011 - 13:45.

#7230 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:22

sympathic

:yawnface: Alonso sings in the shower!

#7231 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,786 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:53

BBC team talking about Fernando.

#7232 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 16:38

The “Fernando Alonso” sports complex (Today):

http://resizer.elcom...00540423086.jpg

http://resizer.elcom...00540429668.jpg

http://resizer.elcom...00540435414.jpg

http://resizer.elcom...p;encrypt=false

Edited by jetalt, 19 March 2011 - 16:47.

#7233 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 16:52

A vid for the event:

http://www.elcomerci...ndo-alonso.html

With The Stig: :)

http://comunidad.lne...98_alonso11.jpg

Another pic:

http://comunidad.lne...98_alonso18.jpg

Another vid:

http://www.dailymoti...auto#from=embed

Edited by jetalt, 19 March 2011 - 23:01.

#7234 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:52

"This track could become one of the best in the world for karting":
http://www.ferrari.c..._in_Oviedo.aspx

Some images of the track layout:
http://www.elcomerci...-morgal-29.html
Don't you think that Asturias is really beautiful? :love:

Btw, I like this pic. It's so funny :p :)
Posted Image

#7235 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:00

:up: good thing for Morgal & his people!

#7236 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 14:40

"2011 will ich die Revanche für letztes Jahr. Der WM-Pokal gehört am Ende des Jahres mir und so wird es 2012, 2013 und all die anderen Jahre sein"

"2011 I want revanche for last year. The WM trophy at the end of the year will be mine and so it will be 2012, 2013 and all the other years."
undefined
:up: :lol:

#7237 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,336 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 15:09

"2011 I want revanche for last year. The WM trophy at the end of the year will be mine and so it will be 2012, 2013 and all the other years."
undefined

:lol: :up: What you think about, you bring about .. GO Alonso !!

#7238 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 15:29

A vid for the event:

http://www.elcomerci...ndo-alonso.html

With The Stig: :)

http://comunidad.lne...98_alonso11.jpg

Another pic:

http://comunidad.lne...98_alonso18.jpg

Another vid:

http://www.dailymoti...auto#from=embed

Love the photo with the Stig. Always wished Alonso would join the list of F1 drivers to mark a hot lap on the Top Gear course and see where he fits in. Maybe one day.

#7239 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 15:31

undefined

Admire the ambition and self belief, awesome! Wouldn't expect anything less from a driver like Alonso.

Advertisement

#7240 as65p

as65p

• 17,290 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 15:56

undefined

Hm. I'm 80 percent sure that something is lost in translation here. Doesn't sound like him. My guess would be he said that his goal will be the WDC in each year.

Maybe we'll learn more about it from other sources.

#7241 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 16:11

Hm. I'm 80 percent sure that something is lost in translation here. Doesn't sound like him. My guess would be he said that his goal will be the WDC in each year.

Maybe we'll learn more about it from other sources.

The source is "Welt am Sonntag"
don't think that there are any translation errors
http://www.welt.de/n...ehoert-mir.html

Edited by Bonaventura, 20 March 2011 - 16:11.

#7242 Hollow

Hollow

• 189 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 16:16

Sounds stupid. Can't be him. Maybe he was LHAO. Obviously Hammy lovers would like him to be dumb but, sorry, this is not the case. :rotfl:

Edited by Hollow, 20 March 2011 - 16:16.

#7243 as65p

as65p

• 17,290 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 16:18

The source is "Welt am Sonntag"

Which is just a brushed up version of BILD for wannabe intellectuals.

This sentence further down in the piece sounds much more like genuine Alonso:

In anycase the goal is always the title at Ferrari: "That's an unwritten law. For me as well as for Ferrari", tells Alonso.

#7244 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 16:22

:lol: :up: What you think about, you bring about .. GO Alonso !!

Good to see another admirer of that translation of the statement :up:

#7245 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 16:27

Which is just a brushed up version of BILD for wannabe intellectuals.

In anycase the goal is always the title at Ferrari: "That's an unwritten law. For me as well as for Ferrari", tells Alonso.

Why should they write lies ?
Here is more from it
http://www.motorspor...-2012-2013.html
http://www.motorspor...idenschaft.html

#7246 as65p

as65p

• 17,290 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 16:52

Why should they write lies ?
Here is more from it
http://www.motorspor...-2012-2013.html
http://www.motorspor...idenschaft.html

Whatever. If he said it with those exact words with a straight face, I'd be surprised.

I still think the sentence "the WM trophy at the end of the year will be mine and so it will be 2012, 2013 and all the other years." sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the interview and other Alonso interviews in general.

#7247 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,786 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 17:11

I doubt that ¡s from Alonso's mouth, and if it is, it's a joke. He has been all this months very cautious and respetful and he claims that he will be the winner in 11, 12 and 13 out of the blue, yeah right.

#7248 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 20:16

I doubt that ¡s from Alonso's mouth, and if it is, it's a joke. He has been all this months very cautious and respetful and he claims that he will be the winner in 11, 12 and 13 out of the blue, yeah right.

I think the same. It's not possible to read this interview from welt am sonntag in internet. But the german web sites :rotfl: are doing everything to put Alonso in the rule of the Bad Boy

#7249 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,143 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 20:37

Though not a native German speaker, I'm quite sure that a better translation for the phrase "Der WM-Pokal gehört am Ende des Jahres mir...", the key word being gehört, is "The WDC-Trophy at the end of the year belongs to me..." - not 'I'll definately get it'.

It would be interesting to see the original quote, presumably in English or Spanish, because I don't think Fernando Alonso speaks German.

In any case, as as65p pointed out, these kind of statements aren't all that unusual, especially at Ferrari:

#7250 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 20:43

It would be interesting to see the original quote, presumably in English or Spanish, because I don't think Fernando Alonso speaks German.[/quote]
:well: I'm worry - there is nothing about this interview on spanish sides. Alonso don't speak german.

>>this is the article in >>neue welt am sonntag<< but it isn't any interview and I can't see this funny message from Alonso.

Edited by puxanando, 20 March 2011 - 20:50.