Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#7251 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 20:48

I really doubt Fernando has said such words. The Alonso of 2011 is known for being extremely cautious in his interviews, so it's another case of poor journalism or Alonso was just being ironic which is something would not surprise me.

Advertisement

#7252 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,113 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 20:52

I really doubt Fernando has said such words. The Alonso of 2011 is known for being extremely cautious in his interviews, so it's another case of poor journalism or Alonso was just being ironic which is something would not surprise me.

Between the lines or with a slightly different tone, it doesn't matter, Alonso tends to say something surprising at times. I guess those Germans have been asking some really stupid questions again...

#7253 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 21:15

Alonso is a shy person most of the time when it comes to talking about how great a driver he is, specially on Spanish television. His english tone is always very professional so I doubt these were his comments, he might've said something like "we will try", "our goal is" or as is usually said in regards to Ferrari: "with Ferrari anything but winning is unacceptable".

#7254 showtime

showtime

• 2,577 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 21:21

My bet is on poor journalism once more. If seen so many times those so called journalist twisting words to their will. A shame that this quote will overshadow the real important news, the new karting facilities in Asturias, seeds for future champions and the true legacy of Alonso, much more important than any of his future victories.

#7255 SchumiP1

SchumiP1

• 92 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 21:47

I personally hope to see Alonso and Schumacher fighting it out for the top step of the podium just like old times. Ah, would that be something!

#7256 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,336 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:13

:lol: haha ! poor journalism ? I don´t know ? Maybe this is poor editing or photoshopped ?
Naah...I don´t think so.

#7257 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:22

I think the same. It's not possible to read this interview from welt am sonntag in internet. But the german web sites :rotfl: are doing everything to put Alonso in the rule of the Bad Boy

Between the lines or with a slightly different tone, it doesn't matter, Alonso tends to say something surprising at times. I guess those Germans have been asking some really stupid questions again...

My bet is on poor journalism once more. If seen so many times those so called journalist twisting words to their will. A shame that this quote will overshadow the real important news, the new karting facilities in Asturias, seeds for future champions and the true legacy of Alonso, much more important than any of his future victories.

Well at least the British journos will get a break from the wrath of Alonso fans. At least for a little while. :lol:

#7258 Outsider

Outsider

• 494 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:22

:lol: haha ! poor journalism ? I don´t know ? Maybe this is poor editing or photoshopped ?
Naah...I don´t think so.

he doesn't say it, it's just picture and usually the photographer tells you the pose

#7259 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau

• 1,881 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:14

Well at least the British journos will get a break from the wrath of Alonso fans. At least for a little while. :lol:

You wish! :p

Seriously, though, it seems that journalists have decided that it is time to raise the stakes on this year's championship (to sell more papers, one assumes  ;) ). Hamilton's most recent interview is not particularly low profile either, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get some "controversial" quotes by Vettel before Friday.

Only a few days till Australia!!! :clap:

Advertisement

#7260 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,812 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:53

Finally a decent translation of the German interview famous quote.

"I want the world title to be mine at the end of the year, and also in 2012, 2013 and every subsequent year. There is no other goal," he added.

More here:

http://motorsport.ne...2011,20111.html

I think everything is clear now, he want, he wish, he hope....

#7261 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,536 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:17

He sounds very confident in that. We will see what happens. I still think it's better to shut your trap and just get on with it.

#7262 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:42

Finally a decent translation of the German interview famous quote.

More here:

http://motorsport.ne...2011,20111.html

I think everything is clear now, he want, he wish, he hope....

They translated the german article into english, nothing else
that doesn't make the interview more genuine

#7263 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,812 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:42

I don't think he is saying anything that other driver will not say, I mean, every driver out there (ask Hamilton) want to win as many titles as possible, he is just expressing his whises and his goals like the competitive driver he is. He is not arrogant or cocky in any way with this declarations.

#7264 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,225 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:49

I see nothing wrong with a driver who is confident in his own ability and we shouldn't jump on them for being arrogant IMO. It seems if Alonso or Hamilton say anything remotely directive, the over sensitive fans of either just seize the opportunity to have a dig. get real, they are successful, highly competitive racing drivers who believe they are the best. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

#7265 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,877 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:46

Can someone confirm the original source for this interview please? I'm no clearer at all about where this appeared originally, what language it was in, and therefore which version is correct.

#7266 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,536 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:49

Can someone confirm the original source for this interview please? I'm no clearer at all about where this appeared originally, what language it was in, and therefore which version is correct.

Think it's the German magazine.

#7267 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:54

The original source was "Welt am Sonntag" a German Sunday Newspaper
but it looks like the whole interview was at the print edition
so the language was German.

Edited by Bonaventura, 21 March 2011 - 10:54.

#7268 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:54

The interview has been in "Welt am Sonntag". But it is not avaible online. All other websides only take reference on it. Alonso can't speak german, so when it is wrote in german it must have been translated from someone.

#7269 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,812 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:02

I think this is the original interview.

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/dw-alo

#7270 Blackmadonna

Blackmadonna

• 125 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:46

A very sensationalist article and i doubt Fernando would give a direct interview to that newspaper. We already had BILD claiming 'Fernando told us' when you can be 100% sure he never spoke to any of them.

And if there was an interview it would have been in spanish or english, so in german it would be translated and not original.

Fernando's goal is always driving for the title, so if he said something like that, its nothing new. I suppose all drivers who are driving for a team with a fast enough car have the same goal.

#7271 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,336 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:12

he doesn't say it, it's just picture and usually the photographer tells you the pose

3 fingers - 3 WDC´s and the third will come this year :clap: It doesn´t matter what Fernando have said or not.
Media often twist and turn words just for selling their stuff.

"2011 I want revanche for last year. The WM trophy at the end of the year will *hopefully be mine and so it will be 2012, 2013 and all the other years."

*my version

Edited by Lotusseven, 21 March 2011 - 12:15.

#7272 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,583 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:14

3 fingers - 3 WDC´s and the third will come this year :clap: It doesn´t matter what Fernando have said or not.

"2011 I want revanche for last year. The WM trophy at the end of the year will *hopefully be mine and so it will be 2012, 2013 and all the other years."

*my version

It makes a nice change from a few years ago to see people are questioning the translation instead of swallowing it whole. Like an English report based on a German report which was based on an Italian report in which Alonso originally said it in Spanish, the tabloid version of Chinese whispers.

Something like this would make sense to me:
"2011 I want revanche for last year. The WM trophy at the end of the year will be mine and *ideally so it will be 2012, 2013 and all the other years."
Confidence of this year and tongue in cheek about the following years.

#7273 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:15

What is so controversial about Alonso wanting every World title? Every top driver aims to win the title every year.

#7274 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:17

A very sensationalist article and i doubt Fernando would give a direct interview to that newspaper. We already had BILD claiming 'Fernando told us' when you can be 100% sure he never spoke to any of them.

And if there was an interview it would have been in spanish or english, so in german it would be translated and not original.

Fernando's goal is always driving for the title, so if he said something like that, its nothing new. I suppose all drivers who are driving for a team with a fast enough car have the same goal.

So, if you don't like the interview, it could not be true
the source is rubbish, and they tell lies.
Nice.

#7275 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,877 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:20

It makes a nice change from a few years ago to see people are questioning the translation instead of swallowing it whole. Like an English report based on a German report which was based on an Italian report in which Alonso originally said it in Spanish, the tabloid version of Chinese whispers.

A lesson I learned from SunTrek. Problem is, until we get to the bottom of what the original source says (and even afterwards, in some cases), it's just pointless to either laud or condemn the sentiments.

#7276 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,502 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:22

What is so controversial about Alonso wanting every World title? Every top driver aims to win the title every year.

:up: Amen. That is what I want to see from a driver.

#7277 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:27

They translated the german article into english, nothing else
that doesn't make the interview more genuine

Alonso doesn't speak German, so the translation in that interview could not be accurate...

As others have said, he just said that he hopes/wants to win titles in the next years which isn't the same that saying that I will win(...)

#7278 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:29

Indeed. There is nothing wrong with what he said :)

#7279 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:30

This. That's what any driver with a shot at the title is, or should be, thinking. If he really said what's been reported he has my respect for it. Political correctedness sucks.

Advertisement

#7280 Blackmadonna

Blackmadonna

• 125 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:39

So, if you don't like the interview, it could not be true
the source is rubbish, and they tell lies.
Nice.

I'm german and i can tell you that BILD is indeed rubbish. As is Welt am Sonntag. Most germans think that as well. So what is your problem with that?

BILD is built up on lies. Its made for entertainment, mostly. People read it, but nobody here takes them seriously at all.

I have no problem with that article, i just think it is what it is.

Of course newspapers tell lies at times. They need to write something to fill their pages, and if they don't have anything, they will invent something.

On topic: it seems some just like to jump on Fernando about everything he says. If he said 'i want the title every year' then its more or less exactly the same Hamilton said:

""I am not here to race 10 years and only win one or two world championships," Hamilton was quoted as saying by the Observer.

"I want to be one of the most successful F1 drivers of this generation so I do want to win more world championships and I think you have to continue winning and prove yourself time after time for people to really know that you are the best.

"I can't say right now that people can say he was clearly the best in the world. I have only been here for four years so I have got a lot more to do.""

Nothing wrong with that either, the guys have their goals, should they not be talking about it?

Edited by Blackmadonna, 21 March 2011 - 13:48.

#7281 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 13:58

I'm german and i can tell you that BILD is indeed rubbish. As is Welt am Sonntag. Most germans think that as well. So what is your problem with that?

BILD is built up on lies. Its made for entertainment, mostly. People read it, but nobody here takes them seriously at all.

I have no problem with that article, i just think it is what it is.

Of course newspapers tell lies at times. They need to write something to fill their pages, and if they don't have anything, they will invent something.

Than perhaps you know Burkhard Nuppeney who made this interview.
He knew Rindt, interviewed Senna etc

Edited by Bonaventura, 21 March 2011 - 14:39.

#7282 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,877 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 16:12

Alonso doesn't speak German, so the translation in that interview could not be accurate...

As others have said, he just said that he hopes/wants to win titles in the next years which isn't the same that saying that I will win(...)

You only have the translation, which means it is only your belief that he must have meant or intended to say something different. That's what's so silly about this whole news item at the moment. The original source appears to be German so in the absence of an original recording or restatement you have to work with what you have.

I agree that it's likely Alonso 'hopes/wants' because that's the way he is, but you cannot say for certain, can you?

Where the hell is Suntrek when you need her?

#7283 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,812 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 16:40

DC talks a little about Fernando in this BBC article about Vettel.

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/9401009.stm

"Fernando has a steel edge to him - his whole demeanour shouts: 'Don't mess with me, otherwise I'll use all the tools at my disposal to screw you back.' But if you don't poke him, he doesn't come looking for trouble. "

A little more in the link, but not much.

#7284 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,336 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 17:09

Posted ImagePosted Image

;) :up: Alonso had a lot of fun with Rossi at the WROOM event this year.
spanish

:lol: :up:

#7285 as65p

as65p

• 16,621 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 17:44

DC talks a little about Fernando in this BBC article about Vettel.

"Fernando has a steel edge to him - his whole demeanour shouts: 'Don't mess with me, otherwise I'll use all the tools at my disposal to screw you back.' But if you don't poke him, he doesn't come looking for trouble. "

A little more in the link, but not much.

Slightly funny that DC says that. It's 100 percent the impression I have of Alonso from my armchair... :)

#7286 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 18:50

I think it is a little pointless to get worked up by that translated supposedly Alonso quote.

Alonso has every right to want to win the next years and as a Ferrari pilot almost the duty to do so. How he might have said that is impossible to know, as I wasn't present when he might have said that phrase.

#7287 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,432 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 18:58

Yeah exactly. I'm no Alonso fan, but so what even if he did say he expects to win the title? Nothing wrong with a bit of self belief.

#7288 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,602 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:16

*my version

Yep, nothing bad about it.

#7289 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:33

Think Lewis said something similar too, when he said he'd not be satisfied with just 1 or 2 world championships.

#7290 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,769 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:29

You only have the translation, which means it is only your belief that he must have meant or intended to say something different. That's what's so silly about this whole news item at the moment. The original source appears to be German so in the absence of an original recording or restatement you have to work with what you have.

I agree that it's likely Alonso 'hopes/wants' because that's the way he is, but you cannot say for certain, can you?

Where the hell is Suntrek when you need her?

Oh, I'm here. Finally. :) :wave:

If this interview is a German original - as it indeed seems to be since no other source can be found - they must have used the English language when interviewing Alonso because he doesn't speak German. And what Alonso originally said in English we will never know.

But as you say we can work with what we have and it's never a good idea to take a statement out of context. The intreview, kindly posted above by Kosmos, starts with a statement from the interviewer that Alonso seems to be an extremely ambitious/aspiring, (there's actually no proper word for "ehrgeizig" in English) person and a question if he's still suffering from the loss at Abu Dhabi. So here is the angle - at least in the beginning of the interview - namely Alonso's ferocious will to win. So they talk about winning and losing for a bit and then the inteviewer asks if Alonso draws any extra motivation from the messed up season finale 2010?

Alonso's answer in full:

"For sure (I'm pretty damn sure he said for sure! :D "Auf jeden fall" literally means "in any case", but that doesn't fit very well here) For me there's no sense of fullness when I'm winning (meaning he's still hungry for wins, a bit difficult to translate) How would I then feel when I lose? In 2011 I want revenge for last year. The WC trophy belongs to me at the end of this year and so will it be in 2012, 2013 and every other year. I have no other goal".

Then the interviewer comments something like "you will have your hands full" and Alonso explains further:

"Maybe, but for me that's nothing special. When I won the title in 2005 I wanted the title in 2006 as well. The same with McLaren in 2007 and also in 2008 and 2009, at least at the beginning of the season".

So, first of all Alonso never says he WILL win the trophy every year, he says the trophy BELONGS to him every year. A slight difference.

My interpretation after reading the whole thing in context is that Alonso tries to explain that his mind is set on winning the WC trophy every year. And what on earth is wrong with that?

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Suntrek, 22 March 2011 - 03:38.

#7291 TheMortalBard

TheMortalBard

• 98 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:29

Great to see Alonso smile !! (3:38 in the video). He tends to have a strong fence around him when he is racing but it's really great to see him a bit more relaxed. I still remember him saying that his parents gave him 2 things. Love for racing and magic tricks. That's a wonderful statement. He repeats his admiration for Michael in the video, which is rare coming from a competitor as fierce as Alonso.

http://edition.cnn.c...onso.interview/

Schumi fan here but as a F1 fan, I have a lot of respect for Alonso's drive and talent. No one else can lead Ferrari better than Alonso. I'll be cheering for Merc and Schumi but I wish Ferrari the best. Just a couple of days to go fellas !!

Edited by TheMortalBard, 22 March 2011 - 04:39.

#7292 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 422 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:52

Great to see Alonso smile !! (3:38 in the video).

http://edition.cnn.c...onso.interview/

Schumi fan here but as a F1 fan, I have a lot of respect for Alonso's drive and talent. No one else can lead Ferrari better than Alonso. I'll be cheering for Merc and Schumi but I wish Ferrari the best. Just a couple of days to go fellas !!

I like that interview and agree about Alonso.Indeed no one else can lead Ferrari better!
Alonso looks more relaxed so far this year and that's a good sign.Brundle is probably right that "Alonso will be Immense this year"

All the best to Schumi and Merc! Respect for the Ferrari legend!.

#7293 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:03

So, first of all Alonso never says he WILL win the trophy every year, he says the trophy BELONGS to him every year. A slight difference.

Nice of him to lend it to the other drivers since 2006 eh!

#7294 SchumiP1

SchumiP1

• 92 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:11

Alonso says he considers Schumacher the most dangerous. Good, that's good. That's the way it should be. He also says that if all cars were equal, he'd fear Schumacher the most.
That's hoping for some epic battle between the two like during their Ferrari and Renault times! :cool:

#7295 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:23

Alonso says he considers Schumacher the most dangerous.

:yawnface: "the most dangerous" if all has the same car". He was better than Schumi - he is better & he will be better...no doubt!

#7296 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,877 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:34

My interpretation after reading the whole thing in context is that Alonso tries to explain that his mind is set on winning the WC trophy every year.

Brilliant, thank you. If you're right (and you appear to have been thorough!), I agree. It's clear that individual sentences can be taken nicely out of context there if you really want to*, but taken 'in the round' it's a statement of ambition rather than expectation. I think considering the two-way translation, it's essential the whole message is considered rather than cherry-picking.

*"The WC trophy belongs to me at the end of this year and so will it be in 2012, 2013 and every other year."

#7297 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 13:35

Brilliant, thank you. If you're right (and you appear to have been thorough!), I agree. It's clear that individual sentences can be taken nicely out of context there if you really want to*, but taken 'in the round' it's a statement of ambition rather than expectation. I think considering the two-way translation, it's essential the whole message is considered rather than cherry-picking.

*"The WC trophy belongs to me at the end of this year and so will it be in 2012, 2013 and every other year."

Maybe it's my english but how can you interpret him saying the trophy BELONGS to him every year is a statement of ambition rather than expectation ?

#7298 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,645 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 13:40

:yawnface: "the most dangerous" if all has the same car". He was better than Schumi - he is better & he will be better...no doubt!

The stats say otherwise :smoking:

#7299 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 13:47

The stats say otherwise :smoking:

I believe he was referring to 2006 when FA beat MS to the title :smoking:

Advertisement

#7300 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,682 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 13:50

Maybe it's my english but how can you interpret him saying the trophy BELONGS to him every year is a statement of ambition rather than expectation ?

He's talking about how "there's no sense of fullness when I'm winning" because that (winning the trophy) is his minimum target/goal at the beginning of each season. Anything less is a disappointment to him. The trophy "belonging" to him is a metaphor to get across his state of mind when he wins or loses - it's not him literally saying it belongs to him.