I believe he was referring to 2006 when FA beat MS to the title :smoking:

I believe they were in different cars.

Advertisement

#7302 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:13

I believe they were in different cars.

I believe Alonso drove better than Schumi in 2006.

#7303 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:31

Yes possibly you are correct. It wouldn't surprise me that Alonso at his peak drove better than Schumi in his retirement year.

#7304 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,709 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:41

Maybe it's my english but how can you interpret him saying the trophy BELONGS to him every year is a statement of ambition rather than expectation ?

That's been the whole crux of my point in this discussion. It's an English to German to English translation we're looking at, so we can't be sure that he said or meant exactly what Suntrek wrote on a per-sentence basis. It is far more reasonable and accurate to consider what he said in the round.

You simply cannot criticise the use of language in the article without access to the original recording or notes.

Gareth :up:

#7305 JamesRaynor

JamesRaynor

• 683 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 15:16

If Alonso wins the WDC this year, I hope he does the decent thing and shave off his eyebrows.

#7306 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 15:24

That's been the whole crux of my point in this discussion. It's an English to German to English translation we're looking at, so we can't be sure that he said or meant exactly what Suntrek wrote on a per-sentence basis. It is far more reasonable and accurate to consider what he said in the round.

You simply cannot criticise the use of language in the article without access to the original recording or notes.

Gareth :up:

I agree with you that there's no point in overanalyzing this thing and on top of the english to german to english difficulty there's also the fact that english is not Alonso's native language. But on the same token, you can't say it was ambition or expectation the tone of his interview. But, just to make clear, I'm fine with either ambition or expectation, because that's what we all expect from them. I'm also a little puzzled by this discussion.

#7307 SchumiP1

SchumiP1

• 92 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 18:41

I believe Schumacher was slightly better especially considering Alonso's massive car advantage in the first half of the season.
Either way, they were so even that in the end one was simply more fortunate and that decided the fate of the title.

#7308 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 18:57

I believe Schumacher was slightly better especially considering Alonso's massive car advantage in the first half of the season.
Either way, they were so even that in the end one was simply more fortunate and that decided the fate of the title.

Not really. There's not a way to grab the 2006 season and make it look like Schumacher was the better driver that year.

But this is not the topic.

Edited by prty, 22 March 2011 - 18:58.

#7309 SchumiP1

SchumiP1

• 92 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 19:20

Not really. There's not a way to grab the 2006 season and make it look like Schumacher was the better driver that year.

Actually there are several ways.

But of course, this isn't the topic.

#7310 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,709 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 20:32

But of course, this isn't the topic.

Indeed.

#7311 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:32

New blog entry on Ferrari.com

http://www.ferrari.c...of-my-life.aspx

#7312 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,072 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 19:11

Not sure of where to comment this, I don't think it deserves its own thread so I chose to use this one - please let me know if I should post it under a different one

http://www.f1racing.co.uk/

I was quite surprised at the cover page of F1 Racing, titled "Ultimate 2011 Season Preview", which has no reference whatsoever to the Ferrari drivers on it. It portrays Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Webber and Rosberg. Yes, it does refer to Ferrari and its drivers on the pages inside, but what a surprising introduction to their analysis!

Edited by Fontainebleau, 23 March 2011 - 19:46.

#7313 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,669 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 20:30

Not sure of where to comment this, I don't think it deserves its own thread so I chose to use this one - please let me know if I should post it under a different one

I was quite surprised at the cover page of F1 Racing, titled "Ultimate 2011 Season Preview", which has no reference whatsoever to the Ferrari drivers on it. It portrays Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Webber and Rosberg. Yes, it does refer to Ferrari and its drivers on the pages inside, but what a surprising introduction to their analysis!

Perhaps they were not available for the photoshoot? Just a guess. :)

EDIT: They are stood on a red Ferrari carpet if thats any help.

Edited by tifosiMac, 23 March 2011 - 20:31.

#7314 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 21:19

I was quite suprised by this aswell when i got my copy.

#7315 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,072 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 21:57

Perhaps they were not available for the photoshoot? Just a guess. :)

EDIT: They are stood on a red Ferrari carpet if thats any help.

:lol: Somehow it could look even worse!

Seriously, though - it is just very weird, as if the image was initially thought for a double-page but then got cut in half, hence some other main characters are missing. I am thinking not just of the two Ferrari drivers, although they are the most obvious ones, but also Schumacher.

#7316 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,709 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 23:45

F1 Racing magazine discussion moved to correct thread.

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=101358

#7317 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:21

Saw Alonso earlier today at an event in the city, he seemed pretty relaxed and keen to start the season off. He also drove a F1 simulator.

#7318 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:23

Saw Alonso earlier today at an event in the city, he seemed pretty relaxed and keen to start the season off. He also drove a F1 simulator.

;) :up: You are so a lucky guy!

#7319 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,072 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:26

Why? Why is he relaxed? I already have a big knot in my stomach, and I am not driving this weekend! How does he dare to be relaxed??? Posted Image

Advertisement

#7320 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 19:37

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/9427653.stm

Good analysis by Mark Hughes on Ferrari and Fernando..Exciting times ahead..

#7321 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 23:38

Obviously from a driver point of view we want the best tyre possible, and we could ask for maybe a better warm-up for the harder tyres that normally is difficult. Normally you need a lot of laps to make the temperature come and when the temperature is coming there is no more rubber on the tyres, so there are some difficulties there.

This would be better in the Pirelli thread, but how can tyres that allow you to just stand on the pedals be better for separating drivers? Surely the drivers with the most finesse and feel should prosper? Also the driver with the most adaptable style. Alonso. Hey presto - back on topic!

It isn't like if Alonso was a average driver who can't adapt his driving style to the tyres or to the car and give excuses such as "tyres don't suit me" or "the car doesn't suit me" as other drivers did in the past.

Anyway, back to Alonso. He will adapt just fine to the Pirelli's. The guy is way to good to get bogged down by tyres.

he can. I don't doubt him, neither do I have blind faith - we'll see.

In the current situation, with new tyres to contend with, I'd bet on the guy that has the experience. Which is Alonso.

Two months ? Oh boy, was I wrong ? The fun came much earlier.

#7322 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 23:46

Well let me be the first to give YOU credit right now! You are certainly among the bravest people on this forum, and if you were an F1 pilot, I'm sure you'd take Eau Rouge FLAT! I say this because it takes guts to claim that Alonso won't adapt to his tires, and will in fact, complain about his inability to do so. The driver rated the best in the sport by his peers two years running. The 2-time WDC who has shown adaptability in changing from Michelins to Bridgestones...grooves to slicks...gone from Renault to McClaren back to Renault then to Ferrari, and claim multiple victories for each constructor and engine manufacturer during that shuffle. We have less than two weeks to find out who will be right, but we don't have to wait that long to credit you for your bravery. But in case your prediction is wide of the mark, I think you might be feasting on this:
Posted Image

I hope you saved some of this fine bird for yourself. It's about time you start preparing your own pie.

#7323 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:22

I hope you saved some of this fine bird for yourself. It's about time you start preparing your own pie.

See you after the race. Would you like some salt or ketchup? How about some cutlery?

#7324 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:40

Who finished right ahead of Alonso?

#7325 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:48

See you after the race. Would you like some salt or ketchup? How about some cutlery?

The race is over and what he said didn't change. The quote is still the same.

#7326 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:49

Great race, shame that he found himself almost out of the track at the start. Fantastic race pace, overtaking, good recovery skills as always.

#7327 Flamini

Flamini

• 809 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:01

Good race :up: P4 is a great result in these circumstances.

#7328 topical

topical

• 2,098 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:10

After getting squeezed by Butthead at the start and spending most of the race behind slower cars, p.4 is a pretty good result. Race pace was good too. If Ferrari can do a better qualy in Malaysia then a podium should be possible at the least. Still not sure if they can challenge the Bulls, or at least Vettel.

#7329 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:35

The race is over and what he said didn't change. The quote is still the same.

Alonso wasn't COMPLAINING about the tires, despite your desperate, feeble attempts to distort the context of what he said. He was asked a question and replied with what a perfect tire scenario for the drivers might look like. He set several fastest laps during the race on both the hard and soft compounds. I'd say he's adapted to the Pirelli tires just fine.

Bon appetit! :rotfl:

#7330 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:36

Solid race by Alonso. Got squeezed out by Button in turn 1, but came back nicely. As you'd expect from him. Good effort.

#7331 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:39

Great race, shame that he found himself almost out of the track at the start. Fantastic race pace, overtaking, good recovery skills as always.

Indeed :up:

Alonso was great to watch today :clap:

#7332 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:41

Some serious pace shown and best of all the combination of tyres, kers and drw makes it a lot more exciting to see Alonso coming up behind someone. Last year such a race would of been resulting in a very frustrating 6th or 7th.
He also had a decent start, got off the line well and up beside Button so maybe McLaren's KERS advantage is not as strong this year.

13 points behind with 18/19 races to go, much better position then Silverstone last year being 48 points behind with 9 races left and he lead the championship in that time :clap: Edit - possibly more points if Hamilton's car fails inspection ;)

Edited by MichaelPM, 27 March 2011 - 08:42.

#7333 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 13:04

Alonso wasn't COMPLAINING about the tires, despite your desperate, feeble attempts to distort the context of what he said. He was asked a question and replied with what a perfect tire scenario for the drivers might look like. He set several fastest laps during the race on both the hard and soft compounds. I'd say he's adapted to the Pirelli tires just fine.

Bon appetit! :rotfl:

Of course he's not complainig he's 'the' Alonso, that's beneath him.
The fastest lap of the race belongs to a guy that finished ninth. Great argument. But I understand your reluctance to accept the obvious. After that post, full of sarcasm, emoticons and pictures, to fall flat your face must have been hurting a lot.

#7334 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:07

I guess Alonso have adapted. He didnt shake his fist at the Russian driver after getting Petroved for the second race in a row :rolleyes: :cool:

#7335 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:13

Great drive by Alonso.

#7336 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,863 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:15

Alonso had a good finish on a bad day. P4 isn't that bad first race of the year. There'll be plenty more points up for grabs in the coming weeks.

#7337 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 429 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:25

Indeed :up:

Alonso was great to watch today :clap:

Very entertaining to watch him go from 9th after turn 1 on the 1st lap to finish 4th! He was very aggressive overtaking Kobayashi,Rosberg and Massa in the 1st stint without the use of the DRS :up:
He didn't put a foot wrong clawing back the places, and to beat Webber in a Red Bull who was miles ahead early in the race just showed again what a great driver Alonso is even with a slower car at the 1st race.

He even got about 5 or 10 times more air-time than Vettel and Hamilton :lol:

#7338 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:54

...and to beat Webber in a Red Bull who was miles ahead early in the race just showed again what a great driver Alonso is even with a slower car at the 1st race.

Webber was off the pace whole weekend, so to beat him in a Ferrari which was as fast as any car out there (didnt Massa got the fastest lap?) wasnt amazing feat IMO. On the other hand, Petrov with slower car beat Alonso despite starting behind him, now that was quite a feat, dont you agree?

#7339 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:58

Of course he's not complainig he's 'the' Alonso, that's beneath him.
The fastest lap of the race belongs to a guy that finished ninth. Great argument. But I understand your reluctance to accept the obvious. After that post, full of sarcasm, emoticons and pictures, to fall flat your face must have been hurting a lot.

Friend, it was YOUR ARGUMENT that Alonso would complain about the tires, and that was YOUR BET! In your own post above, you acknowledge that he didn't complain, so trying to argue the contrary is cognitive dissonance. Rather than trying to punch back with a factless argument while lying on your back, just admit that YOU WERE WRONG! It really isn't that hard, you know, and would certainly bolster your credibility on this board. Should i remind you of your PLEDGE to the forummers on this thread?
Of course I'll give him credit. Will you call him average if he can't adapt very well and start complaining about the tires(as he already started to do) ?
Me, I'm just not that sure about what will happen and I'll not have a big problem admitting I was wrong.

Come on. You can do it! That's a good boy.

Or you could post some verifiable quotes from Alonso COMPLAINING about his inability to come to grips with his tires. Ok. I'll go first with my post about his satisfaction about how he performed under the new regs, while still hoping for more.

"If you just look at the classification, this is not such a bad result; yes we have lost ground to Vettel and Hamilton, although we have done better than Webber and Button."
"The strategy was just right and it helped me to make up some places." "Maybe if I hadn't ended up immediately in traffic, I could have tried to go for two stops but given how things went, we made the best decision. We are in the right zone for us to be able to win a title, but definitely not if we keep finishing third or fourth. We have to improve, we know that, but it's still too early to make any predictions."

OK. Your turn. :kiss:

Advertisement

#7340 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 16:05

Webber was off the pace whole weekend, so to beat him in a Ferrari which was as fast as any car out there (didnt Massa got the fastest lap?) wasnt amazing feat IMO. On the other hand, Petrov with slower car beat Alonso despite starting behind him, now that was quite a feat, dont you agree?

No. Using you logic, didn't Webbo started in front of Alonso?

Being pushed wide to 10th and back to 4th with 3 stops, quite a feat, eh?

#7341 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 982 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 16:21

Classic Alonso performance, best result from a bad situation.

#7342 as65p

as65p

• 17,309 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 16:39

That's the kind of simpleton logic I'd expect from someone who started watching F1 last season, fastest lap = best car. I think you can do better than that.

#7343 Wass1985

Wass1985

• 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:28

Classic Alonso performance, best result from a bad situation.

Yes your right classic alonso, needing his teamate to give him points he cannot earn racing :)

#7344 RenArto

RenArto

• 96 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:31

Is there any footage of Alonso's pass on Rosberg? Seems strange that the TV directors missed it completely.

#7345 figue

figue

• 190 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:34

Yes your right classic alonso, needing his teamate to give him points he cannot earn racing :)

hang on a sec, hei, ros and web are his teammates as well? :eek:

#7346 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:35

That's the kind of simpleton logic I'd expect from someone who started watching F1 last season, fastest lap = best car. I think you can do better than that.

What do you think about Ferraris race pace then? Was it miles behind Red Bull and Mclaren? Slower than Renault? About equal to illegal Sauber?

Of course fastest laps doesnt mean fastest car but Ferrari certainly wasnt an midfield car which was dragged to 4th only by brilliance of Alonsos driving either.

#7347 figue

figue

• 190 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:35

Is there any footage of Alonso's pass on Rosberg? Seems strange that the TV directors missed it completely.

and on heifield one lap earlier too :confused:

#7348 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:45

No. Using you logic, didn't Webbo started in front of Alonso?

Being pushed wide to 10th and back to 4th with 3 stops, quite a feat, eh?

Actually, pushed 9th not 10th. Well, it wasnt bad, but certainly not one of all time classic races either. He handled slower cars quite well, beat also Webber who had perhaps faster car in theory, but as seen throughout the weekend Mark never got that speed out of it, but still finished behind obviously slower Renault. Decent race for Fernando but not excellent by any stretch of imagination.

#7349 motorhead

motorhead

• 921 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 17:50

In his own words ".. instead of starting fifth and finishing fourth I was tenth and I finished fourth. I just had to do some extra overtaking." Strange words he started fifth, not tenth...it was racing where he lost the places...

#7350 figue

figue

• 190 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:02

Actually, pushed 9th not 10th. Well, it wasnt bad, but certainly not one of all time classic races either. He handled slower cars quite well, beat also Webber who had perhaps faster car in theory, but as seen throughout the weekend Mark never got that speed out of it, but still finished behind obviously slower Renault. Decent race for Fernando but not excellent by any stretch of imagination.

at the end of first lap he was 10th not 9th, then he managed to overtake three drivers in two laps and finally went on hunting for webbo and felipe, was able to hold with hard compounds webber with a new set of softs whilst every other driver with hard compounds pursued by another on softs was literally smashed in a matter of two corners; and eventually ended up the race 2 secs behind petrov who was about 20 secs ahead of him after first pit stop

if that's not a great race then please enlighten me please because we have a utterly different concept of racing