Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#7401 as65p

as65p

• 17,078 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 14:16

Not to troll, but that does seem more and more like the truth to be honest. Their comment about Massa I mean.
For the record, I dont think it was teamorders when Alonso passed Massa.

Before anything else, Massa has to perform. Else he quite naturally will be the lapdog, similar to what Kovalainen was at McLaren.

Calling for equality for a guy who is constantly over half a second slower is just not realistic.

When Massa starts equalling or even beating Alonso at least three races in a row, then we can talk again.

Advertisement

#7402 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,847 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 14:52

Before anything else, Massa has to perform. Else he quite naturally will be the lapdog, similar to what Kovalainen was at McLaren.

Calling for equality for a guy who is constantly over half a second slower is just not realistic.

When Massa starts equalling or even beating Alonso at least three races in a row, then we can talk again.

Except if you Jenson Button. ;)

#7403 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,429 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 16:09

New blog entry.

The start was a pity: if I hadn’t found myself down in 9th place at the beginning of the first lap I’d have been able to fight to the finish for the two lower steps of the podium.

http://www.ferrari.c...-no-dramas.aspx

#7404 as65p

as65p

• 17,078 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 16:10

Except if you Jenson Button.;)

Hm, not really. That's often the perception because indeed Button finishes behind Hamilton in 8 out of 10 cases. But IIRC the quali gap was around 3 tenths last year and even less in the races. In any case the Alonso <> Massa gap was almost double that of Hamilton <> Button.

#7405 kazimriz

kazimriz

• 69 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 19:00

Except if you Jenson Button.;)

Are we comparing a World Champion in Jenson Button of 1 year with a World Champion in Felipe Massa of 20 seconds ? Jenson has been closer to Lewis than Massa has been to Alonso. And this year he looks like pushing Lewis even more, whereas poor old Massa might end up becoming the second Rubens Barrichello. Pity what ferrari does to its drivers, especially those who have brought them championships in the past. :p

#7406 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,180 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 20:27

just looked at the whole sequence of jenson passing massa and the following pass of massa by alonso and all i can say if someone in the ferrari pitwall was able to in such a short period of time realize that by having fernando pass massa they were going to screw jenson and in that period have enough time to call the drivers and tell them what to do they need to promote this person inmediatly, where was this guy in abu dhabi.

just looked at it again about 5 seconds after the pass by button, alonso is alongside of massa on the outside arriving at a right corner ,alonso cuts behind massa nd takes a slightly tighter line aroung the corner, massa has a a slight twitch on the front end on exit and alonso pulls alongside massa and now is on the inside going into the next righthander and passes massa. total time elapsed from when button passes to when alonso completes his pass , about 13 seconds, does anyone really think that in that time someone was able to analize the situation, decide what to do , call the drivers and inform them

#7407 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,020 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 20:30

just looked at the whole sequence of jenson passing massa and the following pass of massa by alonso and all i can say if someone in the ferrari pitwall was able to in such a short period of time realize that by having fernando pass massa they were going to screw jenson and in that period have enough time to call the drivers and tell them what to do they need to promote this person inmediatly, where was this guy in abu dhabi.

just looked at it again about 5 seconds after the pass by button, alonso is alongside of massa on the outside arriving at a right corner ,alonso cuts behind massa nd takes a slightly tighter line aroung the corner, massa has a a slight twitch on the front end on exit and alonso pulls alongside massa and now is on the inside going into the next righthander and passes massa. total time elapsed from when button passes to when alonso completes his pass , about 13 seconds, does anyone really think that in that time someone was able to analize the situation, decide what to do , call the drivers and inform them

:lol:

#7408 abc02

abc02

• 253 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 20:39

Fernando's qualy lap from Melbourne. Its amazing how much slower his car is in the final sector than Vettel's RB7.

(sound is slightly out of sync)

Edited by abc02, 28 March 2011 - 20:40.

#7409 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 20:43

Fernando's qualy lap from Melbourne. Its amazing how much slower his car is in the final sector than Vettel's RB7.

To be fair the lap wasnt that bad. He missed the apex of turn 3 and had some oversteer through turn 4 and a lot of understeer in the final 3 turns, apart from that it looked quite good.

Edited by ferrarijon123, 28 March 2011 - 20:50.

#7410 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,847 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 20:48

Horrible understeer, especially in the 3rd sector.

#7411 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 16:28

Great race by Fernando.
What a recovery!

I am some kind confused about Ferraris (Alonsos) race pace.
There were moments in the race, where i thought that Ferrari is faster than mclaren and very close to RBR (Vettel).
Race Lap Charts

#7412 robefc

robefc

• 7,983 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 16:36

There's a lot said about how alonso manages to get a team focussed on him and how much of a positive that is for him and the team.

Is it a fair argument to point out that if that is thought of as a positive then you much more likely to end up with a one man team and the othe driver being demotivated/under performing?

Seems to me you can't have it both ways?

#7413 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,612 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 20:31

Very simple. Massa is just not as good.

#7414 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,218 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 20:34

Massa v Alonso here please.

#7415 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 20:39

Great race by Fernando.
What a recovery!

I am some kind confused about Ferraris (Alonsos) race pace.
There were moments in the race, where i thought that Ferrari is faster than mclaren and very close to RBR (Vettel).
Race Lap Charts

Has it crossed your mind that Alonso was on a 3 stopper while Vettel, Hamilton, Petrov were all on 2 stoppers? How can you compare their pace to Alonso's then ??
In fact if Alonso was just a bit faster than Hamilton on a 2 stopper, then this doesn't say anything good about Ferrari's race pace.

#7416 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 20:48

Fernando was ominous on Sunday. If his team can correct the understeer issues, which look really bleak right now, then he is back at the hunt. If he keeps losing points like this then a repeat of second half of 2010 will become inevitable. I think its high time Ferrari got aggressive with their car, get some developments and challenge Mclaren and Red Bull on raw pace.

They have a culture problem. There is so much negative pressure of performance at Ferrari that they end up doing everything by committee decisions, so no one person is to blame.
Hence, they really lack any innovative, risky approaches, and just end up following the lead of other teams when they can figure it out.

They may start development of a exhaust-downforce design, but no one has any idea why the Red Bull's are so quick.

#7417 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:19

"they need to promote this person inmediatly, where was this guy in abu dhabi."

They have, his name is Pat Fry and he was working for McLaren last year!

#7418 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,989 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 13:13

Lewis Hamilton has described rival Fernando Alonso as "incredibly talented" "His raw speed is just insane - great, great speed," says the Englishman of his 2007 McLaren team-mate in an in-depth interview with Murray Walker.

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/9442836.stm

#7419 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 13:36

Nice words from Lewis :up:

Advertisement

#7420 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,528 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:05

This is going to be tough for everybody to live with these comments of Lewis.

Lewis and Alonso really rate each other very highly and they are the best on the grid now. But they need to be careful that Vettel doesn't divide and conquer. If Vettel wins the WDC he will equal Alonso and be ahead of Lewis. Each one of them needs to focus on their own championship and not worry about who their closest rival is or doing comparisons to Senna-Prost etc. Of course the press will continue to play this up, but they need to resist them and focus on the whole season.

#7421 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:19

Well if Lewis says Fernando is good that makes Lewis good and if Fernando says Lewis is good that makes Fernando good. I think that is why they say nice things about each other.

#7422 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:28

I know - no one is interested but somehow seeing Alonso in the Ferrari is so boring. Boring team. Boring quotes. Nothing new. A lot of excuses. Can't pass Petrov. Can't do that. Move over Massa. I try to get excited but the driver and team together is just boring. Alonso in Renault was exciting. Alonso in McLaren was exciting but this partnership is not sexy at all.

#7423 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:39

I know - no one is interested but somehow seeing Alonso in the Ferrari is so boring. Boring team. Boring quotes. Nothing new. A lot of excuses. Can't pass Petrov. Can't do that. Move over Massa. I try to get excited but the driver and team together is just boring. Alonso in Renault was exciting. Alonso in McLaren was exciting but this partnership is not sexy at all.

What are you talking about Fernando in a Ferrari is a match made in heaven. I really can't find a better driver for Ferrari out there, for Ferrari fans Alonso is as exciting as Schumi. :)

Edited by CF22, 01 April 2011 - 14:40.

#7424 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:50

Schumacher and Ferrari was also absolutely terrible. It was like Ferrari became Volkswagen or something :)

#7425 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 21:55

I really can't find a better driver for Ferrari out there, for Ferrari fans Alonso is as exciting as Schumi. :)

:cat: :up: "MORE".....

#7426 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,788 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:50

Lewis Hamilton has described rival Fernando Alonso as "incredibly talented" "His raw speed is just insane - great, great speed," says the Englishman of his 2007 McLaren team-mate in an in-depth interview with Murray Walker.

#7427 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:01

Well if Lewis says Fernando is good that makes Lewis good and if Fernando says Lewis is good that makes Fernando good. I think that is why they say nice things about each other.

Or maybe they say what they really think?

#7428 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:02

What are you talking about Fernando in a Ferrari is a match made in heaven. I really can't find a better driver for Ferrari out there, for Ferrari fans Alonso is as exciting as Schumi. :)

Agreed. But you realise you've gone and excited the Pux now. :lol:

#7429 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,020 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:51

Or maybe they say what they really think?

You are forgetting one of the first rules of F1 supporters: never miss an opportunity to find a hidden message or twisted intention in a driver's comment.  ;)

#7430 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 17:50

Fernando Alonso at Hamilton Island :lol:

Posted Image

“The peace and quiet of Hamilton Island was the perfect way for me to wind down before moving on to the next round of intense competition on the international circuit,” said Alonso.

http://www.hamiltoni...fernando-alonso

Edited by AlanWake, 04 April 2011 - 17:51.

#7431 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 17:57

Please, save the koala. Koalas are known to die of heart attacks when placed in such stressful situations :well:

#7432 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 19:37

Well, Lewis would be able to spend some days at this village:

Posted Image

FA's Houses (Casas de FA). LOL

Edited by jetalt, 04 April 2011 - 19:38.

#7433 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 20:13

He also gives his name to a street in Oviedo, Asturias:

Posted Image

Fernando Alonso Díaz
(Driver)
F1 World Champion

:cool:

#7434 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 20:15

Well, Lewis would be able to spend some days at this village:Posted Image

FA's Houses (Casas de FA). LOL

Naah, looks worse than Croydon

#7435 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 20:35

Naah, looks worse than Croydon

Lol. But the red wine is better and the village has a female Mayor randy for naming the village's sports complex with LH's name.

#7436 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 23:11

Posted Image

“The peace and quiet of Hamilton Island was the perfect way for me to wind down before moving on to the next round of intense competition on the international circuit,” said Alonso.

http://www.hamiltoni...fernando-alonso

Awww.what a cute animal.
Alonso did say last year that his ideal getaway place was an Island off Australia.He could have chosen Great Keppel Island or one of the Whitsunday islands!! looks like his got no fear of Hamilton then :lol:

#7437 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,594 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 00:41

Is fernando's last name diaz then,not alonso?

#7438 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:41

Please, save the koala. Koalas are known to die of heart attacks when placed in such stressful situations :well:

Hugs are less stressful than rally car road kill...  ;)

#7439 Korben82

Korben82

• 184 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:10

Is fernando's last name diaz then,not alonso?

Spaniards have 2 surnames, the first from the father and the second from the mother. So it's Fernando (name) Alonso (surname from father) Díaz (surname from mother). :)

Advertisement

#7440 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:19

You are forgetting one of the first rules of F1 supporters: never miss an opportunity to find a hidden message or twisted intention in a driver's comment. ;)

F1 supporters don't do this but saddo's with limited knowledge of the sport who focus their enjoyment on drivers personalities, or the personalities they have envisaged in their own minds. Unfortunately the best examples are on this thread and the Hamilton thread, but the best drivers in the world will attract criticism from morons.. :)

#7441 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,057 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:16

Spaniards have 2 surnames, the first from the father and the second from the mother. So it's Fernando (name) Alonso (surname from father) Díaz (surname from mother). :)

How does that work 3 generations down the line, then?

#7442 Bleu

Bleu

• 718 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 13:34

In Alonso's case, if he and his wife are going to have kids some day, they are surnamed Alonso del Rosario. So Diaz will disappear there.

#7443 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 14:03

Alonso overtakes Kobayashi:

Alonso overtakes Rosberg:

His overtaking on Kobayashi was pretty good IMHO :)

#7444 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,989 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 15:34

Agreed. I thought that was a superb battle. Kobayashi drove excellently, IMO: very firm defending but completely fair and clean. Alonso's driving was equally good, and the final overtake was superb. Probably the best moment of the race, IMO, which reminds me of Valencia last year (where there was a brilliant battle with Kubica and Button on the first lap that was completely missed and finally surfaced on youtube a few days after the race).

Also, I guess Alonso goes down in the history books with the first DRS pass ever with his move on Rosberg?

#7445 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,847 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 16:22

Agreed. I thought that was a superb battle. Kobayashi drove excellently, IMO: very firm defending but completely fair and clean. Alonso's driving was equally good, and the final overtake was superb. Probably the best moment of the race, IMO, which reminds me of Valencia last year (where there was a brilliant battle with Kubica and Button on the first lap that was completely missed and finally surfaced on youtube a few days after the race).

Also, I guess Alonso goes down in the history books with the first DRS pass ever with his move on Rosberg?

:up:

Alonso likes overtaking on the outside. Last year he attempted it a few times but it didn't work. Most noticeably against Kubica (Silverstone) and Massa (Hockenheim).

#7446 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,594 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 17:21

Cheers

#7447 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:44

Alonso overtakes Kobayashi:

Alonso overtakes Rosberg:

Ahhh! Just what I've been wanting to see!; how Alonso overtook Rosberg! Funny how the BBC commentators were saying how Button was the 1st driver to successfully use the DRS to overtake when Alonso had already done it in overtaking Rosberg about 15 or 20 laps earlier in the race :lol:

#7448 HPT

HPT

• 1,154 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:23

And do not forget 130R! :)

:up:

Alonso likes overtaking on the outside. Last year he attempted it a few times but it didn't work. Most noticeably against Kubica (Silverstone) and Massa (Hockenheim).

#7449 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:41

And do not forget 130R! :)

Alonso does have a certain skill of making a difficult overtake from the outside

Not the best example.Against Trulli at Bahrain but still a good ovetake on the outside
A better one against Schumacher in the rain at Hungary in 2006
The legendary 130R outside move to overtake Schumi in 2005
I rate this overtake just as good; Alonso overtakes Lewis into Eau Rouge 2007. (watch 1st 30 seconds)

There are many examples of Alonso overtaking on the inside too. Just one that I found outstanding was Alonso's overtake on Webber in Monaco 2008 in the wet which looked better at natural speed rather than in slow motion ;

#7450 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:03

This one was pretty amazing aswell against Heidfeld through the chicane at Magny Cours 2007 ;