Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#7451 morals

morals

• 150 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:22

Ahhh! Just what I've been wanting to see!; how Alonso overtook Rosberg! Funny how the BBC commentators were saying how Button was the 1st driver to successfully use the DRS to overtake when Alonso had already done it in overtaking Rosberg about 15 or 20 laps earlier in the race :lol:

In all fairness they said that Button's was the first DRS overtake that we saw LIVE on television (at least that's what they wrote on Autosport live), which still holds true :)

Advertisement

#7452 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 426 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:42

In all fairness they said that Button's was the first DRS overtake that we saw LIVE on television (at least that's what they wrote on Autosport live), which still holds true :)

That's probably true and the reality is that we can only focus on a very,very small percentage of what is going on around us which holds true for commentators too ;) But Alonso did the overtake on a Mercedes powered car within the 1st few laps of racing with the new DRS. :wave:

#7453 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:55

Is fernando's last name diaz then,not alonso?

Spaniards have two surnames: the surname of the father in first place and the surname of the mother in second place.

So the name is: Fernando

The first surname is: Alonso (surname of the father)

The second surname is: Díaz (surname of the mother)

Now the law has changed, and every couple having a baby can change the order of the surname (mother's surname being first and father's surname being second) if they want.

In order to shorten the names, Spaniards usually just say: "I'm Fernando Alonso", but for legal matters you have to use both surnames: "I, Fernando Alonso Díaz, with the National Document of Identity number X, declare that..."

Sometimes, the surname of the mother is more 'famous' than the surname of the father. For example: The prime minister of Spain, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero is known in Spain as 'Zapatero' and not 'Rodriguez' (which is a very common surname in Spain), or the Spanish poet Federico García Lorca is known as 'Lorca' and not 'García' (which is also a very common surname).

#7454 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,745 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 14:37

New blog entry.

http://www.ferrari.c...-at-a-time.aspx

#7455 drag

drag

• 120 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 17:31

This one was pretty amazing aswell against Heidfeld through the chicane at Magny Cours 2007 ;

this one was just scary good

#7456 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 14:17

what a bad start in the weekend.
fernando is doing fine, but the car is totally crap,
this will be a bad bad year for FA (again)!

#7457 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,745 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 15:55

Let's call the end of the world after the race please, not after FP2. The Car is not gonna get any poles on normal conditions but I still think it's a good car for the race.

Video interview with the bbc.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Edited by kosmos, 08 April 2011 - 16:12.

#7458 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:25

Alonso's utterances are re-enforcing the view that he is not a team leader. After testing Button and Hamilton talked up McLaren, spoke of the ability of the team to recover from setbacks and produce a competetive car; Alonso sounds totally negative about his team when he should be encouraging them.

#7459 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:30

Alonso's utterances are re-enforcing the view that he is not a team leader. After testing Button and Hamilton talked up McLaren, spoke of the ability of the team to recover from setbacks and produce a competetive car; Alonso sounds totally negative about his team when he should be encouraging them.

:drunk: "sounds"......
What do you know about Fernando is speaking "WITH" his team??

Advertisement

#7460 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:44

Engineers trying to do their job get more satisfaction from observable facts rather than hollow flattery.
Boosting spirits of a team tends to happen in person or other direct contact such as phone calls, not through a media proxy.

#7461 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:51

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/90470

"I believe we must stay concentrated on our own work and try to understand how to get all the potential out of the 150° Italia and I'm sure there's plenty to come.

"Before we achieve that, it's pointless standing here making predictions about how the weekend will turn out. We just have to tackle it one day at a time."

Lets talk about "utterances"

http://www.yallaf1.c...ton-to-shut-it/

Whitmarsh has requested that team members “be more careful when issuing opinions.”

Hamilton made headlines when he told The Guardian that Formula 1 was not exciting while getting slower and made some disparaging remarks about F1′s new tyre supplier Pirelli.

The 2008 was quoted saying, “I did a run the other day [Barcelona in February] and it was painfully slow, it really was. Just not exciting, to be honest.”

Whitmarsh had prior to Hamilton’s comments come out in praise of Pirelli after the tyre factory came under fire.

“We complain about high wear, but no one talks about the good grip of the tyres when new. It’s easy to step into the car and complain, but we want more pitstops and we want cars that at various stages of the race are fighting with their tyres. That’s part of the show,” insisted Whitmarsh.

#7462 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:03

:drunk: "sounds"......
What do you know about Fernando is speaking "WITH" his team??

In public he is saying that the position is hopeless - Do you think his team can't hear that?

#7463 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,055 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:10

And that sentence gives the impression that you are into wishful thinking... Remember who said "we will win this championship" after Silverstone last year? By the way, what did you think of that comment at the time?

#7464 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,745 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:16

Pretty good job given the circustances, now let's hope for a good start.

#7465 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:42

I think when alonso was wathching the lap times after the qualy (shown in TV), the whole season went past him in his mind, knowing that there is no chance of fighting for the title this year.

poor alonso,

his job today he did awesome

#7466 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,055 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:22

I think when alonso was wathching the lap times after the qualy (shown in TV), the whole season went past him in his mind, knowing that there is no chance of fighting for the title this year.

poor alonso,

his job today he did awesome

Let's review 2010 for a second...
Alonso's results for the first 8 races:
- Bahrain 1st
- Australia 4th
- Malaysia 13th/DNF
- China 4th
- Spain 2nd
- Monaco 6th
- Turkey 8th
- GBR 14th

So far Bahrain has been postponed, he has matched his result at Australia, and looks set to improve his result at Malaysia. If he can maintain a similar level to 2010 in these first races and Ferrari improves for the second half of the season, he can still fight for it with a strong second-half of the season. I doubt that he was giving up while watching this qualy...

#7467 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:31

Despite pushing the Scuderia to give him a faster car ASAP, our boy is also predicting a podium finish! :up:

"We were expecting maybe more problems, and a worse qualifying position," he said. "To be fifth, starting from the clean side, with the race in front of us.. I think if we finish the race we will be on the podium."

#7468 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 13:37

Let's review 2010 for a second...
Alonso's results for the first 8 races:
- Bahrain 1st
- Australia 4th
- Malaysia 13th/DNF
- China 4th
- Spain 2nd
- Monaco 6th
- Turkey 8th
- GBR 14th

So far Bahrain has been postponed, he has matched his result at Australia, and looks set to improve his result at Malaysia. If he can maintain a similar level to 2010 in these first races and Ferrari improves for the second half of the season, he can still fight for it with a strong second-half of the season. I doubt that he was giving up while watching this qualy...

I know you probably just forgot to mention but the results could have been a lot better if he hadn't screwd up australia, china, monaco and gbr.

#7469 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 13:58

I know you probably just forgot to mention but the results could have been a lot better if he hadn't screwd up australia, china, monaco and gbr.

every driver makes (or made) mistakes. that doesnt bother if there are not that much.
australia was not a mistake as already discussed, china he recovered well.

the main problem last year were the steward decisions that costed alonso at least 30 points.

#7470 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,055 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 16:52

And I know you probably could not pass the opportunity to try and put the guy down :p , but surely you realise that the reason for that performance is irrelevant to my comment?

Edited by Fontainebleau, 09 April 2011 - 16:54.

#7471 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 17:00

And I know you probably could not pass the opportunity to try and put the guy down :p , but surely you realise that the reason for that performance is irrelevant to my comment?

No it's quite relevant to the point(off the mark, it seems) you were trying to make.

#7472 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 17:23

There were plenty of mistakes made by all the drivers and top teams last year which is why 5 drivers were still in with a chance of being champion with two races to go. Vettel was the fastest and made the fewest mistakes, which is why he was so deserving of championship glory. When you compare Fernando to Massa in 2010, it seems clear (at least to me) that Fernando was driving 10/10ths to put the car where he did, and subsequently made more errors. Being new to the team certainly didn't help.

So far this season Fernando has had to really push the car again, faster than it has any right to go. That may cause more errors again in his efforts to overperform and maximize points while driving an underperforming car. Not too bad so far. If he can escape these first three races with a decent points haul, then when Ferrari sort their problems (and with LdM planning to run for PM and the car named F150th Italia, does anyone doubt they will spare no expense?), I think, come November, this season will wash away the bitter aftertaste left by Abu Dhabi last year. :cool:

Edited by PoleMan, 09 April 2011 - 17:27.

#7473 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 17:26

So far this season Fernando has had to really push the car again, faster than it has any right to go. That may cause more errors again in his efforts to overperform and maximize points while driving an underperforming car. Not too bad so far. If he can escape these first three races with a decent points haul, then when Ferrari sort their problems (and with LdM planning to run for PM and the car named F150th Italia, does anyone doubt they will spare no expense?), I think, come November, this season wash away the bitter aftertaste left by Abu Dhabi last year. :cool:

:up: Let's hope so. If the Ferrari race pace really is better than the qualy pace, as seemed to be the case in Australia, and Alonso doesn't get yet another one of his bad starts (though in Aus he actually started quite well, was just unfortunate where he placed himself at the first corner) then he could well sneak onto the podium tomorrow even if it's dry. If it's wet then anything can happen.

#7474 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 17:41

:up: Let's hope so. If the Ferrari race pace really is better than the qualy pace, as seemed to be the case in Australia, and Alonso doesn't get yet another one of his bad starts (though in Aus he actually started quite well, was just unfortunate where he placed himself at the first corner) then he could well sneak onto the podium tomorrow even if it's dry. If it's wet then anything can happen.

:up: FORZA FERNANDO! FORZA FERRARI! FORZA FELIPE, TOO! :up:

#7475 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,055 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 17:58

No it's quite relevant to the point(off the mark, it seems) you were trying to make.

No, it isn't - I am simply saying that a bad first stint of races do not necessarily mean a team/driver is out of competition for the WDC/WCC. So Ferrari still has time to recover before they give up on this year. I thought my post was quite straighforward, care to explain what you interpreted that looked off the mark? :)

Edited by Fontainebleau, 09 April 2011 - 18:00.

#7476 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 19:40

No, it isn't - I am simply saying that a bad first stint of races do not necessarily mean a team/driver is out of competition for the WDC/WCC. So Ferrari still has time to recover before they give up on this year. I thought my post was quite straighforward, care to explain what you interpreted that looked off the mark? :)

Last year's results look worse because of the screw ups. The car was much better then. It's going to take a lot more to catch up this year. They don't even know what is wrong, they are lost.

#7477 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 19:44

.... they are lost.

Posted Image
I don't think so! Have to wait some races!

#7478 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,745 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:34

OK, bad start again, time to check with the doctor, that's not normal anymore. Good race pace and all, bad luck with the DRS but very stupid mistake, 3rd was almost secured, and 4th was pretty good too.

:down: :down: with the car we have, this is not acceptable.

#7479 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:59

Stupid mistake from Alonso, very very stupid and its all his fault.
He was on for a podium and went overboard trying to compensate for a broken DRS.
I sure he will, but he owes a massive apology to the team.

I'm glad Massa finished ahead of him for his mistake but also glad Alonso tried to catch Massa otherwise he wouldn't deserve to be in F1.

Atleast Hamilton finished behind in the end :lol: and Heidfeld got the podium place instead :up:

Advertisement

#7480 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:01

Posted Image
I don't think so! Have to wait some races!

Can you still not blame Alonso for anything? :cat:

#7481 Flamini

Flamini

• 809 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:03

Damn, without this mistake it would be really good race. P6 is not too bad (I expected P5 before the race) but with those circumstances P3 was within reach.

Mixed feelings.

#7482 Laffite

Laffite

• 202 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:06

Alonso was set to overtake Lewis in his second pit stop. TV didn´t show but something must have happened, 'cause he returned behind Button in fourth. DRS failure wouldn't be the reason.

#7483 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,055 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:13

Last year's results look worse because of the screw ups. The car was much better then. It's going to take a lot more to catch up this year. They don't even know what is wrong, they are lost.

Again, that is irrelevant to my point.

#7484 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:16

Unforgivable mistake. A shame because his pace was promising.

#7485 Maestro

Maestro

• 25 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:23

Unforgivable mistake. A shame because his pace was promising.

Come on. Ferrari pitwall is unforgivable...

#7486 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:26

As I said elsewhere and as most are saying here - stupid mistake. Without it he had a podium for sure. Ferrari's dreadful strategy calls didn't help but it was the usual red mist descending any time he's around Hamilton that cost him. Forget Abu Dhabi: it was these sort of mistakes that cost Alonso the title last year and with Red Bull seemingly a one-car team this year he can afford them even less if he wants to challenge Vettel for the title. Dreadful, dreadful error.

#7487 motorhead

motorhead

• 917 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:29

Wasn´t it so that this guy should be a ultimate car developer and team leader...

#7488 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:29

Can you still not blame Alonso for anything? :cat:

Why blame! Alonso is a racer and also a person. He made a fault and so what?? He never give up.
I'm optimistic that we will see him on podium and also winning. Don't worry about this!

Forza ferrari - Puxa Fernando!

#7489 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 1,723 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:32

IN F1 there are no small mistakes in these situation. Small mistake big consequences. Things happen.

#7490 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:35

With all his experience, it was a very stupid mistake :down: I am sure if it had been another driver and not Hamilton, he would have had more patience.

It is a shame because we could have got a podium easily without that mistake.

#7491 abc02

abc02

• 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:39

I thought these silly mistakes would have stopped by now. He never made so many errors when he won his championships at Renault.

#7492 P123

P123

• 8,332 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:40

I thought these silly mistakes would have stopped by now. He never made so many errors when he won his championships at Renault.

He wasn't having to race in so much traffic then. Compare Schumacher's 2004 to 2005.... Similarly Vettel when not out front.

#7493 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:41

More mistakes again, and finish behing Massa.

Poor poor poor.

#7494 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:42

To be fair Alonso is getting old now.

No point comparing him to what he could do 6 years ago at 24 years of age. It's always going to be downhill.

He is 30 years old in 2 months.

Edited by ZooL, 10 April 2011 - 10:44.

#7495 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:43

Well Schumacher is still making mistakes, they are a part of racing and will never go away.

That is why we love it right? its the brief attainment of perfection not a constant display of perfection and predictability.

#7496 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:47

Certainly most of the blame rests with Alonso as he was behind, but my guess is that with Hamilton's problem (whatever it was) he was even slower coming out of that turn than he'd been on the previous laps and Fernando just couldn't react in time. Have to roll my eyes a bit at the people on here acting like THEY are more upset than Alonso and Ferrari from this situation. I think Fernando and Ferrari were the ones who lost the big points haul today! :evil:

Was impressed by the pace of the car in the race. Hopefully they'll make big improvements after China and can really put the pressure on RBR and McLaren!

#7497 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 519 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:48

Racing is a lot closer and competitive than it was in 05 and 06. More people have fast cars so slight mistakes are more costly whereas back then you'd have probably got a podium.

#7498 abc02

abc02

• 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:50

He wasn't having to race in so much traffic then. Compare Schumacher's 2004 to 2005.... Similarly Vettel when not out front.

Uh huh.

2006: Tight and twisty hungarian track + Rain + Traffic = No problem
2011: Wide tilke track + ultra-slow Hamilton = Collision

I dunno, maybe those years in the wilderness after the Mclaren debacle dulled his edge. But at 30 you're supposed to be a better, more experienced driver than at 25, not worse.

#7499 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,055 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:04

WDC:
Vettel - 50
Button - 26
Hamilton - 24
Webber - 22
Alonso - 20
Massa - 16

Advertisement

#7500 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:10

WDC:
Vettel - 50
Button - 26
Hamilton - 24
Webber - 22
Alonso - 20
Massa - 16

So what? It is pretty clear that SV is going to win the WDC in Korea or India at this rate or maybe before.. :p